Chalaza removal

koko

Nov 9, 2008, 3:37:38 PM11/9/08

I'm sure I've mentioned here that I can't abide chalaza, aka egg snot.
I know, a prominint chalaza indicates a high quality egg, I still
don't like it.

Since I'm going to need to remove the chalaza from 4 eggs to make the
noodles for chicken noodle soup, I thought I'd try one more method in
hopes that it would be easier than what I've been doing.
Yahoo!!! it's great. Quick and easy.

Let's get dechalazaing an egg.
http://i35.tinypic.com/nlpl3n.jpg

Use the tip of a paring knife and your finger to grasp the white
portion of the chalaza.
http://i34.tinypic.com/242u1ao.jpg

Keeping a firm hold of the white part, gently lift it from the egg.
http://i38.tinypic.com/105wqwn.jpg

Ta daaa. Easy peasy.
http://i34.tinypic.com/16baafa.jpg

Might as well make an omelet.
http://i34.tinypic.com/ixqc7l.jpg

I'm off to make the noodles now.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/09

cybercat

Nov 9, 2008, 3:58:52 PM11/9/08

"koko" <ko...@letscook.com> wrote in message

> I'm sure I've mentioned here that I can't abide chalaza, aka egg snot.
> I know, a prominint chalaza indicates a high quality egg, I still
> don't like it.
>
> Since I'm going to need to remove the chalaza from 4 eggs to make the
> noodles for chicken noodle soup, I thought I'd try one more method in
> hopes that it would be easier than what I've been doing.
> Yahoo!!! it's great. Quick and easy.
>
> Let's get dechalazaing an egg.
> http://i35.tinypic.com/nlpl3n.jpg
>
> Use the tip of a paring knife and your finger to grasp the white
> portion of the chalaza.
> http://i34.tinypic.com/242u1ao.jpg
>
> Keeping a firm hold of the white part, gently lift it from the egg.
> http://i38.tinypic.com/105wqwn.jpg
>
> Ta daaa. Easy peasy.
> http://i34.tinypic.com/16baafa.jpg
>
> Might as well make an omelet.
> http://i34.tinypic.com/ixqc7l.jpg

I just grab it with my fingers and squeeze it off.

Gregory Morrow

Nov 9, 2008, 4:23:49 PM11/9/08

cybercat writhes:

> I just grab it with my fingers and squeeze it off.

Gads, cybpersnot, we're talkin' matters culinary here, not your wierd sex
practises...in this case you describing how you erotically insert your IUD
into yer baggy prolapsed uterus before committing the coital act with your
pal blake. *Try* to keep on topic, will ya...!!!???

:-P

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Omelet

Nov 9, 2008, 5:17:52 PM11/9/08
In article <9eheh4pjb9l0f7nll...@4ax.com>,
koko <ko...@letscook.com> wrote:

> I'm sure I've mentioned here that I can't abide chalaza, aka egg snot.
> I know, a prominint chalaza indicates a high quality egg, I still
> don't like it.
>
> Since I'm going to need to remove the chalaza from 4 eggs to make the
> noodles for chicken noodle soup, I thought I'd try one more method in
> hopes that it would be easier than what I've been doing.
> Yahoo!!! it's great. Quick and easy.
>
> Let's get dechalazaing an egg.
> http://i35.tinypic.com/nlpl3n.jpg
>
> Use the tip of a paring knife and your finger to grasp the white
> portion of the chalaza.
> http://i34.tinypic.com/242u1ao.jpg
>
> Keeping a firm hold of the white part, gently lift it from the egg.
> http://i38.tinypic.com/105wqwn.jpg
>
> Ta daaa. Easy peasy.
> http://i34.tinypic.com/16baafa.jpg
>
> Might as well make an omelet.
> http://i34.tinypic.com/ixqc7l.jpg
>
> I'm off to make the noodles now.
>
> koko

Cute series. :-) I separate yolks and whites by dumping the raw egg in
my (clean) hand and letting the white drain thru my fingers. I can get
ALL the white off that way by gentle finger pressure. I then gently
pick that Chalaza off with my fingernails.

The white then goes into a jar for the next omelet or scrambled eggs,
that raw yolk is generally destined to be eaten raw with a little salt
as is, or added to a dipping sauce for steak tartar. ;-d

Did I ever say how much I loved raw egg yolks?
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Message has been deleted

Victor Sack

Nov 9, 2008, 5:52:14 PM11/9/08
koko <ko...@letscook.com> wrote:

> I'm sure I've mentioned here that I can't abide chalaza, aka egg snot.

You are extremely weird, sir.

Marcie

Kathleen

Nov 9, 2008, 7:47:03 PM11/9/08
aem wrote:

> On Nov 9, 12:37 pm, koko <k...@letscook.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm sure I've mentioned here that I can't abide chalaza, aka egg snot.
>>I know, a prominint chalaza indicates a high quality egg, I still
>>don't like it.
>>

> Hmmm. I always remove silverskin and membranes from meat, and the
> tendon from chicken breasts, and I often shake the seeds and snot out
> of tomatoes, but can't say I've ever paid any heed at all to this tiny
> bit of an egg. Doesn't it disappear automatically when you whisk
> eggs, and when you fry them? What's wrong with it? -aem

Huh. It never even occurred to me to be grossed out by that particular
structure.

<Ponders momentarily... Goes upstairs, cracks half a dozen eggs into a
skillet with some butter, while staring intently at the *CHALAZA*.
Prepares the dogs' traditional post tournament victory feast of
scrambled eggs, while thinking the matter over. Portions out scrambled
eggs (steals a spoonful for self). Adds kibble, pours a little milk
over them to cool them to eating temp, since the dogs were on red alert
since the first shell was cracked, and waiting is not an option.>

Okay, nope, still not grossed out. Can't spend a lot of time thinking
about hot dogs, though.

Blinky the Shark

Nov 9, 2008, 8:59:19 PM11/9/08

I can't look at that Subject header without thinking its about some kind
of Jewish ritual. :)

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

koko

Nov 9, 2008, 10:15:01 PM11/9/08
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:59:19 -0800, Blinky the Shark
<no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>I can't look at that Subject header without thinking its about some kind
>of Jewish ritual. :)

It is, but it's only performed on male sharks.

Blinky the Shark

Nov 9, 2008, 10:54:13 PM11/9/08
koko wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:59:19 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> <no....@box.invalid> wrote:
>

>>I can't look at that Subject header without thinking its about some kind
>>of Jewish ritual. :)
>
> It is, but it's only performed on male sharks.

That's what...uhh......HEY!

isw

Nov 10, 2008, 12:50:38 AM11/10/08
In article
<5511226c-f562-49e0...@d10g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
aem <aem_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Nov 9, 12:37 pm, koko <k...@letscook.com> wrote:

> > I'm sure I've mentioned here that I can't abide chalaza, aka egg snot.
> > I know, a prominint chalaza indicates a high quality egg, I still
> > don't like it.
> >

> Hmmm. I always remove silverskin and membranes from meat, and the
> tendon from chicken breasts, and I often shake the seeds and snot out
> of tomatoes, but can't say I've ever paid any heed at all to this tiny
> bit of an egg. Doesn't it disappear automatically when you whisk
> eggs, and when you fry them? What's wrong with it?

Depends on what you think of uncooked eggwhite. It's a different protein
from the rest of the "white", and it takes a higher temperature to set
it. If you make sure the chalaza is set, many folks will think the rest
of the egg is overcooked.

Isaac

Omelet

Nov 10, 2008, 1:57:33 AM11/10/08
In article <om9fh45sa9qtp6t7f...@4ax.com>,
koko <ko...@letscook.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:59:19 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> <no....@box.invalid> wrote:
>

> >I can't look at that Subject header without thinking its about some kind
> >of Jewish ritual. :)
>
> It is, but it's only performed on male sharks.
>
> koko

<lol>!

Melba's Jammin'

Nov 10, 2008, 2:57:03 PM11/10/08

> I'm sure I've mentioned here that I can't abide chalaza, aka egg snot.
> I know, a prominint chalaza indicates a high quality egg, I still
> don't like it.
>
> Since I'm going to need to remove the chalaza from 4 eggs to make the

(snip)
You chickenshit!!! Fortheluvvapete, you're going to beat the eggs
first, aren't you? Even if you're not, it's not like the chalaze is
going to be identifiable *anywhere* in your dough.

Koko, Koko, Koko. . . . LOL!!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini