Microwaving Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

Theron

Jul 11, 2009, 3:09:42 PM7/11/09
Have anyone tried to microwave the old Kraft Mac and Cheeseit? They have put
"cheesiest" on the label. Kraft recently came out with one portion Mac and
Cheese that you do totally in the microwave. The latter product is pretty so
so unless you pour in a bit of grated cheddar after you add the cheese
powder.

Ed

Becca

Jul 11, 2009, 6:42:19 PM7/11/09

Yes, my youngest son microwaves Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

Becca

Bob Muncie

Jul 11, 2009, 7:01:00 PM7/11/09

My youngest (will be 25 next month) as lazy as he is, has tried the
microwave individuals, and would still rather scrap the inside of one of
my 1.5QT Teflon coated pots on the stove top, than use the microwave
stuff. For you guys, that's probably considered a 3 pointer from the
field as he gets to aggravate me as well as get feed on my dime.

Bob

Theron

Jul 12, 2009, 12:24:44 AM7/12/09

"Becca" <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message
What does he do???

Becca

Jul 12, 2009, 4:18:58 PM7/12/09

He puts water in a large, 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup, brings the water to
a boil, then he adds the macaroni. I am not sure how long it takes to
cook the pasta.

Becca

jmcquown

Jul 12, 2009, 5:23:54 PM7/12/09
"Becca" <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

I've never understood Kraft mac & cheese. (I don't know about the
microwavable stuff.) But "real" mac and cheese takes about the same amount
of time to cook from scratch, using real cheese. I don't understand
powdered packets of cheese. Ugh.

Jill

Jul 12, 2009, 6:58:18 PM7/12/09

It's called convenience. Employed people don't always have time to run
out for fresh cheese.

sf

Jul 12, 2009, 7:25:50 PM7/12/09
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:23:54 -0400, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I've never understood Kraft mac & cheese. (I don't know about the
>microwavable stuff.) But "real" mac and cheese takes about the same amount
>of time to cook from scratch, using real cheese. I don't understand
>powdered packets of cheese. Ugh.

I have no idea what you've made, but homemade mac and cheese takes a
LOT longer than the blue box (using the regular stove top method).

sf
not scared of a blue box

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Michael O'Connor

Jul 12, 2009, 7:34:45 PM7/12/09

> I've never understood Kraft mac & cheese.  (I don't know about the
> microwavable stuff.)  But "real" mac and cheese takes about the same amount
> of time to cook from scratch, using real cheese.  I don't understand
> powdered packets of cheese.  Ugh.
>
> Jill

I can't eat the powder stuff you mix with milk and butter; I had to
eat that stuff as a kid and that stuff made me gag.. However, I do
like the deluxe stuff that comes with the cheese sauce packet. I make
real mac and cheese around the holidays, but the thing is that most
recipes for mac and cheese are for making an entire casserole of it.
It is an old cooking adage that you cannot make a single serving of
chili from scratch, and the same is true of mac and cheese unless you
use the microwave stuff, which I have never tried.

sf

Jul 12, 2009, 9:06:59 PM7/12/09
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:34:45 -0700 (PDT), "Michael O'Connor"
<mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:

>I can't eat the powder stuff you mix with milk and butter; I had to
>eat that stuff as a kid and that stuff made me gag.. However, I do
>like the deluxe stuff that comes with the cheese sauce packet.

Heh, different strokes! I love the powdered cheese, reconstituted,
type. I've only tried the cheese sauce packet type once and thought
it was absolutely vile.

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Jul 12, 2009, 11:59:07 PM7/12/09
On Jul 12, 6:06 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:34:45 -0700 (PDT), "Michael O'Connor"
>
> <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
> >I can't eat the powder stuff you mix with milk and butter; I had to
> >eat that stuff as a kid and that stuff made me gag..  However, I do
> >like the deluxe stuff that comes with the cheese sauce packet.
>
> Heh, different strokes!  I love the powdered cheese, reconstituted,
> type.  I've only tried the cheese sauce packet type once and thought
> it was absolutely vile.

The only mac and cheese I will eat is the boxed stuff, with pwdered
mix, and only freshly made. I will not eat reheated mach and cheese. I
will not eat the frozen stuff, the deli stuff, or anything made with
the real cheese. I like real cheese, but I don't like the way that
oily cheese mixes with the noodles.

And, yes, I have microwaved it. I sometimes make half a box as a
single serving (cheaper than the individual packages). You have to be
careful not to stir the noodles too much or it becomes a gluey mess.
But not enough and it becomes a chunk of noodles. I prefer the
stovetop method, but that means cleaning a pan for one little serving
of mac and cheese.

projectile vomit chick

Jul 13, 2009, 12:14:07 AM7/13/09
On Jul 12, 6:25 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:23:54 -0400, "jmcquown" <j_mcqu...@comcast.net>

> wrote:
>
> >I've never understood Kraft mac & cheese.  (I don't know about the
> >microwavable stuff.)  But "real" mac and cheese takes about the same amount
> >of time to cook from scratch, using real cheese.  I don't understand
> >powdered packets of cheese.  Ugh.
>
> I have no idea what you've made, but homemade mac and cheese takes a
> LOT longer than the blue box (using the regular stove top method).
>
> sf
> not scared of a blue box

Yes, yet she is completely against making a homemade pizza. She's
just a stupid pain in the ass.

projectile vomit chick

Jul 13, 2009, 12:15:11 AM7/13/09

Martha Gooch years ago had a halfway decent boxed mac and cheese. I
haven't seen it in the store in years, however.

jmcquown

Jul 13, 2009, 1:51:11 AM7/13/09
"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:23:54 -0400, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I've never understood Kraft mac & cheese. (I don't know about the
>>microwavable stuff.) But "real" mac and cheese takes about the same
>>amount
>>of time to cook from scratch, using real cheese. I don't understand
>>powdered packets of cheese. Ugh.
>
> I have no idea what you've made, but homemade mac and cheese takes a
> LOT longer than the blue box (using the regular stove top method).
>
> sf

My point was, it takes the same amount of time whether you make it from
scratch or buy the Blue Box. You still have to boil the pasta. You still
have to melt butter and add milk to make the white sauce (which is the basis
for the cheese sauce). It really doesn't take much longer once you bring
the sauce to a simmer to add real cheese and melt it than it does to "cook
and stir" the powdered cheese packet into the white sauce, then add it to
the pasta. It certainly doesn't taste better to use real cheese, VT or NY
Cheddar, IMHO

Jill

jmcquown

Jul 13, 2009, 7:52:51 AM7/13/09
<frie...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote in message

On Jul 12, 6:06 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:34:45 -0700 (PDT), "Michael O'Connor"
>
> <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
> >I can't eat the powder stuff you mix with milk and butter; I had to
> >eat that stuff as a kid and that stuff made me gag.. However, I do
> >like the deluxe stuff that comes with the cheese sauce packet.
>
> Heh, different strokes! I love the powdered cheese, reconstituted,
> type. I've only tried the cheese sauce packet type once and thought
> it was absolutely vile.

The only mac and cheese I will eat is the boxed stuff, with pwdered

It's a shame you never tried the real thing. Even Velveeta is better than
powdered cheese. Tsk tsk :)

Jill

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Jul 13, 2009, 9:17:15 AM7/13/09
On Jul 13, 4:52 am, "jmcquown" <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> <fries...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote in message

Velveeta is nasty. Once was enough.

And yes, I have tried the real thing. I didn't like it, so I never saw
a reason to try it again.

But its no biggy. I know I differ in my opinion of a lot of foods. I
like things to be fairly simple in flavor. I do not like very many
seasonings. I tend to eat a lot of things plain, and I like it that
way. I'm quite happy eating a piece of fish with no seasoning or
sauce. If I cook it right, it is a piece of heaven.

Ms P

Jul 13, 2009, 9:40:56 AM7/13/09

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

It's pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about. You don't
make white sauce when you make the blue box. You drain the mac and cheese,
add butter, milk and the powdered cheese and stir. It takes about 30
seconds after you have the macaroni cooked until it's totally done.

Ms P

Bob Muncie

Jul 13, 2009, 10:06:56 AM7/13/09

It's pretty obvious you have no manners.. but what is your point?

In the time it takes for the pasta to cook, you can make a white sauce,
so being snotty, and having no point must be what you are looking for today.

Bob

cybercat

Jul 13, 2009, 12:05:13 PM7/13/09

"Bob Muncie" <bob.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bob, really. Defending every lame-ass piece of tail around here is not a
good plan.

Becca

Jul 13, 2009, 12:22:02 PM7/13/09
jmcquown wrote:
> "Becca" <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

>> He puts water in a large, 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup, brings the water
>> to a boil, then he adds the macaroni. I am not sure how long it
>> takes to cook the pasta.
>>

>> Becca
>

> I've never understood Kraft mac & cheese. (I don't know about the
> microwavable stuff.) But "real" mac and cheese takes about the same
> amount of time to cook from scratch, using real cheese. I don't
> understand powdered packets of cheese. Ugh.
>
> Jill

He started eating Kraft Mac & Cheese in college. He loves it. He also
ate Ramen noodles, I never tasted them until 2 years ago.

Becca

Stu

Jul 13, 2009, 12:19:25 PM7/13/09

Does that include you?

Bob Muncie

Jul 13, 2009, 1:08:55 PM7/13/09

Actually, Jill was not overly pleasant on the last direct reply to
something if I recall.

I do not consider you, or anyone else here either lame, or a piece of tail.

The only two people that post enough to be irritating, and I consider
lame out of all the usenet groups I read, I KF.

And had Ms P chose to make that post in response to some "stud", I still
would have said the same (even if it was Stu).

I simply find it irritating for someone to gratuitously be offensive.

Bob

Omelet

Jul 13, 2009, 1:12:51 PM7/13/09
In article <7c1531F...@mid.individual.net>,
Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

I adore boxed macaroni and cheese. Ramen noodles too. Both are cheap
eating.

Comfort food, and it's not a regular part of my diet due to health
reasons. <sigh>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

sf

Jul 13, 2009, 1:27:13 PM7/13/09
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 06:17:15 -0700 (PDT), "frie...@zoocrewphoto.com"
<frie...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote:

>I'm quite happy eating a piece of fish with no seasoning or
>sauce. If I cook it right, it is a piece of heaven.

That's true. A light hand with seasoning or sauce often brings out
the best in food.

sf

Jul 13, 2009, 1:28:04 PM7/13/09
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:22:02 -0500, Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

>Ramen noodles, I never tasted them until 2 years ago.

Wow! You ARE a late bloomer. LOL

Stu

Jul 13, 2009, 1:37:39 PM7/13/09

Oh Bob you care ;)

cybercat

Jul 13, 2009, 1:39:04 PM7/13/09

"Bob Muncie" <bob.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Have you noticed that Jill is a pill? :)

John Kane

Jul 13, 2009, 1:53:35 PM7/13/09

We have Kraft Dinner instead. If Kraft mac & cheese tastes like it
I've never understood why anyone would have it in the house.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

brooklyn1

Jul 13, 2009, 2:03:11 PM7/13/09

"Bob Muncie" <bob.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Ms P's point has nothing to do with cooking, the point is that Ms P has a
personal dislike for Jill and is envious of her far more advanced cooking
skills.

I've tried them a few times but to me none of those mac n' cheese from a box
are any different from each other nor are they any good... if I'm going to
eat all those pretty much empty calories I'm gonna make it from scratch with
good cheese, not that powdered mystery cheese with butter, it tastes nothing
like cheese. In fact I don't much care for the elbow macaroni in those
boxes, they're undersized and thin walled, I don't like their texture. And
even if it does take a few more minutes, so what, I'm not a fast food
foodie, like Jill I prefer real food.

Bob Muncie

Jul 13, 2009, 2:26:16 PM7/13/09

Stu - You weren't trying hard enough to make a funny there. I gave
plenty of opportunity :-)

Bob

Stu

Jul 13, 2009, 2:50:03 PM7/13/09
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:53:35 -0700 (PDT), John Kane <jrkr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Could be that you're not making it correctly.

Boil the pasta, drain and set aside. melt two tablespoons of butter in same
pot, add 2/3 cup milk (creams better), and add cheese mixture ( could add
alittle greated chedder) and wait till starts to bubble, add pasta. Stir until
mixture starts to get thick, serve with hamburgers. (Optional broken up bacon
slices added is good to).

I make it for the kids all the time, never have a complaint.

Becca

Jul 13, 2009, 3:15:00 PM7/13/09
frie...@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:
> The only mac and cheese I will eat is the boxed stuff, with pwdered
> mix, and only freshly made. I will not eat reheated mach and cheese. I
> will not eat the frozen stuff, the deli stuff, or anything made with
> the real cheese. I like real cheese, but I don't like the way that
> oily cheese mixes with the noodles.
>
> And, yes, I have microwaved it. I sometimes make half a box as a
> single serving (cheaper than the individual packages). You have to be
> careful not to stir the noodles too much or it becomes a gluey mess.
> But not enough and it becomes a chunk of noodles. I prefer the
> stovetop method, but that means cleaning a pan for one little serving
> of mac and cheese.

My son eats the entire box, for real, I have seen him do it. Can you
imagine eating that much mac & cheese at one time? He is 6' 2" and he
weighs 130, so he needs all the calories he can get.

Becca

Becca

Jul 13, 2009, 3:24:39 PM7/13/09
sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:22:02 -0500, Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
>

>> Ramen noodles, I never tasted them until 2 years ago.
>>

> Wow! You ARE a late bloomer. LOL

My new husband liked to eat Ramen for lunch so I tried it for the first
time. It wasn't bad.

Becca

Ms P

Jul 13, 2009, 3:20:14 PM7/13/09

"Bob Muncie" <bob.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message

My point is Jill doesn't know what she's talking about. If she's never made
the blue box then she doesn't have any idea how long it takes. Real from
scratch mac and cheese isn't any good unless it's baked and gets a crispy
crust around it. There's no way you can do that in the time it takes to
make the blue box.

And yes, I've made both. My kids liked the blue box best. <shrug> My
hubby and I only eat mac and cheese of any kind a few times a year anyway.

Ms P

Ophelia

Jul 13, 2009, 3:33:20 PM7/13/09
> sf wrote:

>> Ramen noodles, I never tasted them until 2 years ago.
>>

> Wow! You ARE a late bloomer. LOL

Late? I have <never> eaten them:))

O examines her bloomers.......................

Andy

Jul 13, 2009, 3:40:56 PM7/13/09
Becca said...

> My son eats the entire box, for real, I have seen him do it. Can you
> imagine eating that much mac & cheese at one time? He is 6' 2" and he
> weighs 130, so he needs all the calories he can get.

No way he's 6'2" and 130lbs!

He's 6'2" and weighs 230lbs.

Andy
Ask me how I know!

Andy

Jul 13, 2009, 3:48:35 PM7/13/09
Andy said...

OR 5'2" and weighs 130lbs.

5'2" and 130lbs. is BMI: 23.8 (normal weight).
6'2" and 230lbs. is BMI 29.5 (overweight)

sf

Jul 13, 2009, 4:14:45 PM7/13/09
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:33:20 +0100, "Ophelia" <oph...@elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:

Is Ramen sold in your corner of the world, O?

cybercat

Jul 13, 2009, 4:37:13 PM7/13/09

"Ophelia" <oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message

*lusting after look* I LOVE Ramen noodles. I like them best with just the
packet of spices and petrochemicals that comes with them. I never buy them,
because they are absolute crap nutritionally AND will make you fat.

cybercat

Jul 13, 2009, 4:38:37 PM7/13/09

"Becca" <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

They are great with stir fry or other Chinese-esque dishes, and cheaper than
Chinese noodles. Problem is, they are loaded with fat, even without the
season packet.

Nancy2

Jul 13, 2009, 5:01:18 PM7/13/09
On Jul 11, 2:09 pm, "Theron" <a...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Have anyone tried to microwave the old Kraft Mac and Cheeseit? They have put
> "cheesiest" on the label.  Kraft recently came out with one portion Mac and
> Cheese that you do totally in the microwave. The latter product is pretty so
> so unless you pour in a bit of grated cheddar after you add the cheese
> powder.
>
> Ed

The smell of the sauce in that stuff makes me puke. I can't make it
for the grandkids because of the smell, don't stock it any more, and
they don't miss it at all. >;-)

N.

Stu

Jul 13, 2009, 5:05:18 PM7/13/09
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:37:13 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Ophelia" <oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message

>>> Wow! You ARE a late bloomer. LOL
>>
>> Late? I have <never> eaten them:))
>>
>> O examines her bloomers.......................
>>

> I never buy them, because they are absolute crap nutritionally AND will make you fat.

... and you know this how?

Ramen noodles are available fresh or dried, and in fat-free versions, with a
variety of flavor packages. Some ramen noodles may contain other ingredients,
like buckwheat, spinach, or rice.

Nutrition Highlights
Ramen noodles, 1 serving (42g) (dry form, soup)
Calories: 190
Protein: 3.9g
Carbohydrate: 27.5g
Total Fat: 7.2g
Fiber: 0.0g
*Good source of: Iron (1.8mg)

*Foods that are an �excellent source� of a particular nutrient provide 20% or
more of the Recommended Daily Value. Foods that are a �good source� of a
particular nutrient provide between 10 and 20% of the Recommended Daily Value.

Bob Muncie

Jul 13, 2009, 5:28:57 PM7/13/09
Stu wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:37:13 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "Ophelia" <oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message

>>> Late? I have <never> eaten them:))
>>>
>>> O examines her bloomers.......................
>>>
>> I never buy them, because they are absolute crap nutritionally AND will make you fat.
>>

> ... and you know this how?
>
> Ramen noodles are available fresh or dried, and in fat-free versions, with a
> variety of flavor packages. Some ramen noodles may contain other ingredients,
> like buckwheat, spinach, or rice.
>
> Nutrition Highlights
> Ramen noodles, 1 serving (42g) (dry form, soup)
> Calories: 190
> Protein: 3.9g
> Carbohydrate: 27.5g
> Total Fat: 7.2g
> Fiber: 0.0g
> *Good source of: Iron (1.8mg)
>
> *Foods that are an �excellent source� of a particular nutrient provide 20% or
> more of the Recommended Daily Value. Foods that are a �good source� of a

> particular nutrient provide between 10 and 20% of the Recommended Daily Value.

Stu - Even if the low-fat version is not so bad, what of the sodium
levels? I'm guessing it's enough salt to kill slugs and snails...

Once I started looking at the sodium levels in frozen meals, and pot
pies, I stopped buying them. I imagine the levels are rather high on
dehydrated foods also.

Bob

Bob Muncie

Jul 13, 2009, 5:36:31 PM7/13/09

I can sympathize. I feel the same exact way about the canned spaghett'Os
and the rest of that family of products like raviolis. I smell them
warning, I have to leave the house. My kids liked them, but they do make
my stomach churn.

I do however have a box of the blue stuff in the cupboard for when I
want it. Last time I put in about 8 Oz of diced smoked ham to add toi
the taste factor. But yes, I remember my youth through some of the
tastes, and that is one of them. Yes, I can make my own mac & cheese,
and do when the urge hits. But the boxed stuff is just comfort food from
childhood.

Bob

Stu

Jul 13, 2009, 8:07:15 PM7/13/09
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:28:57 -0400, Bob Muncie <bob.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Stu wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:37:13 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Ophelia" <oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message

>>> I never buy them, because they are absolute crap nutritionally AND will make you fat.
>>>

>> ... and you know this how?
>>
>> Ramen noodles are available fresh or dried, and in fat-free versions, with a
>> variety of flavor packages. Some ramen noodles may contain other ingredients,
>> like buckwheat, spinach, or rice.
>>
>> Nutrition Highlights
>> Ramen noodles, 1 serving (42g) (dry form, soup)
>> Calories: 190
>> Protein: 3.9g
>> Carbohydrate: 27.5g
>> Total Fat: 7.2g
>> Fiber: 0.0g
>> *Good source of: Iron (1.8mg)
>>

>> *Foods that are an �excellent source� of a particular nutrient provide 20% or
>> more of the Recommended Daily Value. Foods that are a �good source� of a

>> particular nutrient provide between 10 and 20% of the Recommended Daily Value.
>
>Stu - Even if the low-fat version is not so bad, what of the sodium
>levels? I'm guessing it's enough salt to kill slugs and snails...
>
>Once I started looking at the sodium levels in frozen meals, and pot
>pies, I stopped buying them. I imagine the levels are rather high on
>dehydrated foods also.
>
>Bob

What about Lean Cuisine and Michelina's, anywhere from 600 to 1400 sodium

Becca

Jul 13, 2009, 8:58:19 PM7/13/09

Andy, my youngest son is very thin, he has been this way all his life.
I used to buy Joe Weider 2,000 calorie shakes at the health food store.
He drank it, but it didn't help. lol

Becca

jmcquown

Jul 14, 2009, 8:48:15 AM7/14/09
"Ms P" <ms_pe...@wbsnet.org> wrote in message

It's pretty obvious YOU don't know how to make macaroni and cheese other
than from a blue box.

Jill

jmcquown

Jul 14, 2009, 8:58:20 AM7/14/09
"Ms P" <ms_pe...@wbsnet.org> wrote in message

Yes, you're a rude bitch who simply doesn't like me (for whatever reason).
When did I ever say I *never* made the blue box? Not once. You like to
take my comments out of context. It takes 10-20 minutes to cook the
macaroni regardless of whether or not you melt butter and stir in milk or
crap cheese powder. Now you announce your kids grew up eating crap packaged
food. How nice! It's too bad you didn't bother to put it in a casserole
dish and bake it with buttered breadcrumbs on the top. Then they could have
eaten baked faux macaroni & cheese.

Jill

Ms P

Jul 14, 2009, 11:34:49 AM7/14/09

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

The only one I see here that's rude is you. I never called you a name. I
said *if* you've never made the blue box. You're the one that claimed you
make a white sauce when you make blue box mac and cheese. There's no white
sauce involved in Kraft. Maybe the generics have a white sauce.

My kids grew up eating homemade mac and cheese until they were older and
started going to friend's houses and got the blue box. Then they started
asking for it at home. When they hit the teenage years they started making
it for an after school snack.

And what did you feed your kids?

Ms P

Bob Muncie

Jul 14, 2009, 11:49:10 AM7/14/09

Hi Jill - Can we all just choose to be nice? Both you and Ms P have been
here forever, and for the most part, are just nice peeps. I know this as
I read a lot :-)

And no, even those that like the stuff in the blue box, can choose to
make real mac & cheese. I'm proof of that. I like both.

Just like I like the both of you.

You pal, Bob

Bob Muncie

Jul 14, 2009, 11:50:28 AM7/14/09

That was "warming" for those that have a hard time seeing past my fat
fingering...

Bob

blake murphy

Jul 14, 2009, 1:40:21 PM7/14/09
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:19:25 -0500, Stu wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:05:13 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>"Bob Muncie" <bob.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> It's pretty obvious you have no manners.. but what is your point?
>>>
>>> In the time it takes for the pasta to cook, you can make a white sauce, so
>>> being snotty, and having no point must be what you are looking for today.
>>>

>>Bob, really. Defending every lame-ass piece of tail around here is not a
>>good plan.
>>

> Does that include you?

say what you want about cyber, but i doubt her tail is lame.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 14, 2009, 1:47:27 PM7/14/09
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:58:20 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> "Ms P" <ms_pe...@wbsnet.org> wrote in message
>>

>> My point is Jill doesn't know what she's talking about. If she's never
>> made the blue box then she doesn't have any idea how long it takes. Real
>> from scratch mac and cheese isn't any good unless it's baked and gets a
>> crispy crust around it. There's no way you can do that in the time it
>> takes to make the blue box.
>>
>> And yes, I've made both. My kids liked the blue box best. <shrug> My
>> hubby and I only eat mac and cheese of any kind a few times a year anyway.
>>
>> Ms P
>
> Yes, you're a rude bitch who simply doesn't like me (for whatever reason).

you want to see typewritten list?

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 14, 2009, 1:55:54 PM7/14/09

i hope to god there are no noodles in there.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 14, 2009, 2:00:45 PM7/14/09

...or in case of nuclear attack.

your pal,
blake

Stu

Jul 14, 2009, 4:48:28 PM7/14/09
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:40:21 -0400, blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net>
wrote:

Geeezzz I opened this post and got slobber all over the screen, you really
must control that Blake.

Gregory Morrow

Jul 14, 2009, 5:08:05 PM7/14/09
Ms P wrote:

Jill's a member of the "bitter 'n barren" set...

--
Best
Greg

John Kane

Jul 14, 2009, 4:58:03 PM7/14/09
On Jul 13, 2:50 pm, Stu <reci...@foodforu.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:53:35 -0700 (PDT), John Kane <jrkrid...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >On Jul 12, 5:23 pm, "jmcquown" <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> "Becca" <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

> >> I've never understood Kraft mac & cheese.  (I don't know about the
> >> microwavable stuff.)  But "real" mac and cheese takes about the same amount
> >> of time to cook from scratch, using real cheese.  I don't understand
> >> powdered packets of cheese.  Ugh.
>
> >> Jill
>
> >We have Kraft Dinner instead.  If Kraft mac & cheese tastes like it
> >I've never understood why anyone would have it in the house.
>
> Could be that you're not making it correctly.
>
> Boil the  pasta, drain and set aside. melt two tablespoons of butter in same
> pot, add 2/3 cup milk (creams better), and add cheese mixture ( could add
> alittle greated chedder) and wait till starts to bubble, add pasta. Stir until
> mixture starts to get thick, serve with hamburgers. (Optional broken up bacon
> slices added is good to).
>
> I make it for the kids all the time, never have a complaint.

No, I've had it made correctly. I just think it's vile! As bad or
worse than Harvard Beets.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Bob Muncie

Jul 14, 2009, 6:16:55 PM7/14/09
If you truly think that, you are a sad person in deed.

In fact, feel free to just boink me as I am not respecting you at this
moment. But I do Jill.

Bob

Bob Muncie

Jul 14, 2009, 6:18:37 PM7/14/09

John - I assume you are not a hater.. so anyone that loves the beets is
okay with you, right?

Bob

Serene Vannoy

Jul 15, 2009, 12:07:15 AM7/15/09
Ms P wrote:

>> My point was, it takes the same amount of time whether you make it
>> from scratch or buy the Blue Box. You still have to boil the pasta.
>> You still have to melt butter and add milk to make the white sauce
>> (which is the basis for the cheese sauce). It really doesn't take
>> much longer once you bring the sauce to a simmer to add real cheese
>> and melt it than it does to "cook and stir" the powdered cheese packet
>> into the white sauce, then add it to the pasta. It certainly doesn't
>> taste better to use real cheese, VT or NY Cheddar, IMHO
>>
>> Jill
>
> It's pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about. You don't
> make white sauce when you make the blue box. You drain the mac and
> cheese, add butter, milk and the powdered cheese and stir. It takes
> about 30 seconds after you have the macaroni cooked until it's totally
> done.

But during the 7-9 minutes the pasta is cooking, that's plenty of time
to make a white sauce. As Jill said, it really doesn't take much longer
to add real cheese than it does to add a packet.

Serene, who has done both many, many times
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Bob Muncie

Jul 15, 2009, 12:12:12 AM7/15/09
Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Ms P wrote:
>>
>>> My point was, it takes the same amount of time whether you make it
>>> from scratch or buy the Blue Box. You still have to boil the pasta.
>>> You still have to melt butter and add milk to make the white sauce
>>> (which is the basis for the cheese sauce). It really doesn't take
>>> much longer once you bring the sauce to a simmer to add real cheese
>>> and melt it than it does to "cook and stir" the powdered cheese
>>> packet into the white sauce, then add it to the pasta. It certainly
>>> doesn't taste better to use real cheese, VT or NY Cheddar, IMHO
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> It's pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about. You
>> don't make white sauce when you make the blue box. You drain the mac
>> and cheese, add butter, milk and the powdered cheese and stir. It
>> takes about 30 seconds after you have the macaroni cooked until it's
>> totally done.
>
> But during the 7-9 minutes the pasta is cooking, that's plenty of time
> to make a white sauce. As Jill said, it really doesn't take much longer
> to add real cheese than it does to add a packet.
>
> Serene, who has done both many, many times

Hi Serene - I should have made public my post as you echo'd it
precisely. :-) You must be my twin in another life.

White sauce during the pasta cook and all. I'd say great minds and all
that, but I'm just thinking nice thoughts about you at the moment.

Anywho, thanks for posting...

Bob

Bobo Bonobo®

Jul 15, 2009, 2:35:17 AM7/15/09
On Jul 12, 5:58 pm, D <intercep...@gmail177.com> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > "Becca" <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

> >> He puts water in a large, 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup, brings the water
> >> to a boil, then he adds the macaroni.   I am not sure how long it
> >> takes to cook the pasta.
>
> >> Becca
>
> > I've never understood Kraft mac & cheese.  (I don't know about the
> > microwavable stuff.)  But "real" mac and cheese takes about the same
> > amount of time to cook from scratch, using real cheese.  I don't

> > understand powdered packets of cheese.  Ugh.
>
> > Jill
>
> It's called convenience.  Employed people don't always have time to run
> out for fresh cheese.

Employed people might want to take their time spent reading and
responding to posts on cooking NGs, and spend it on cooking, or
dropping by the dairy area instead of only shopping the center aisles
of the store. Jill's point was that it doesn't take much longer at
all.

We ate well and not so well this weekend thru today. The brunch at
Zest in the Hotel IC Chicago was excellent. The pizza at Gino's East
was so-so. My wife liked it when we brought the still-hot leftovers
back to the hotel. She didn't have to put up with the slow as
molasses service. I love Chicageo, but your cornbread crust is as
crappy as St. Louis's process cheese.

It was this place that really shined:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/2/16158/restaurant/Pilsen/Sabas-Vega-Carnitas-Restaurant-Chicago
We got carnitas, fresh avocado wedges, wedges of queso fresca, green
and red salsas, pico de gallo, sliced pickled jalapenos, hot and soft
corn tortillas, Cut up limes, and smooth, rich beans that were just
perfect. We had a restaurant dot com dining certificate that required
us to spend $35. We did and more. I even got one each pints of red
and green to go. We brought it back to StL on the Amtrak just in time
for the rush from the end of the All Star Game. Sardines in a can,
but it's always a joy to see St. Louisans using public transit.

--Bryan

Bob Muncie

Jul 15, 2009, 3:05:06 AM7/15/09

Bryan - I am often amazed at some of the things posted on the internet.
In this case, you have amazed me with the amount of data you shared.

Thanks for sharing... I will remember this for a while.

Bob

Bobo Bonobo®

Jul 15, 2009, 8:30:55 AM7/15/09
> >http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/2/16158/restaurant/Pilsen/Sabas-Vega-Carn...

> > We got carnitas, fresh avocado wedges, wedges of queso fresca, green
> > and red salsas, pico de gallo, sliced pickled jalapenos, hot and soft
> > corn tortillas, Cut up limes, and smooth, rich beans that were just
> > perfect.  We had a restaurant dot com dining certificate that required
> > us to spend $35.  We did and more.  I even got one each pints of red
> > and green to go.  We brought it back to StL on the Amtrak just in time
> > for the rush from the end of the All Star Game.  Sardines in a can,
> > but it's always a joy to see St. Louisans using public transit.
>
> > --Bryan
>
> Bryan - I am often amazed at some of the things posted on the internet.
> In this case, you have amazed me with the amount of data you shared.
>
> Thanks for sharing... I will remember this for a while.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. One person's interesting is another's
rambling, and I'm pretty much to one extreme on the keeping mundane
life details private.

> Bob

--Bryan

blake murphy

Jul 15, 2009, 12:37:39 PM7/15/09
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 10:34:49 -0500, Ms P wrote:

> My kids grew up eating homemade mac and cheese until they were older and
> started going to friend's houses and got the blue box. Then they started
> asking for it at home. When they hit the teenage years they started making
> it for an after school snack.
>
> And what did you feed your kids?
>
> Ms P

to the dogs.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 15, 2009, 12:39:29 PM7/15/09
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:49:10 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> Hi Jill - Can we all just choose to be nice? Both you and Ms P have been
> here forever, and for the most part, are just nice peeps. I know this as
> I read a lot :-)
>
> And no, even those that like the stuff in the blue box, can choose to
> make real mac & cheese. I'm proof of that. I like both.
>
> Just like I like the both of you.
>
> You pal, Bob

hey, wait a minute here!

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 15, 2009, 12:41:06 PM7/15/09
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:50:28 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> Bob Muncie wrote:

>> I can sympathize. I feel the same exact way about the canned spaghett'Os
>> and the rest of that family of products like raviolis. I smell them
>> warning, I have to leave the house. My kids liked them, but they do make
>> my stomach churn.
>>

>> Bob
>
> That was "warming" for those that have a hard time seeing past my fat
> fingering...
>
> Bob

actually, smelling them warning makes a certain amount of sense...

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 15, 2009, 12:41:55 PM7/15/09

you really must fuck off, stu.

blake

cybercat

Jul 15, 2009, 1:03:11 PM7/15/09

"blake murphy" <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in message

My tail, is long and fluffffffy. Everybody but Stu knows that.

Stu

Jul 15, 2009, 1:40:16 PM7/15/09

I don't give a shit if you're fluffy or not, you need to be alittle nicer to
people before you turn into a Bobo clone.

Stu

Jul 15, 2009, 1:43:26 PM7/15/09
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:41:55 -0400, blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net>
wrote:

and you'd know this how?

>>>your pal,
>>>blake
>>
>> Geeezzz I opened this post and got slobber all over the screen, you really
>> must control that Blake.
>
>you really must fuck off, stu.
>
>blake

Ah Blake, did I hit a nerve where she's concerned?

blake murphy

Jul 16, 2009, 11:12:50 AM7/16/09

jeez, i hope not *everybody*. save some for me.

your pal,
blaek

blake murphy

Jul 16, 2009, 11:13:55 AM7/16/09

no, just the regular usenet dickhead nerve.

blake

Serene Vannoy

Jul 17, 2009, 1:30:23 PM7/17/09
Becca wrote:

> My son eats the entire box, for real, I have seen him do it. Can you
> imagine eating that much mac & cheese at one time? He is 6' 2" and he
> weighs 130, so he needs all the calories he can get.

When I was a growing teenager, I could easily eat a whole box of mac and
cheese. These days, it would probably be the saltiness that would do me
in, not strictly the volume of food.

Serene