Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

Message has been deleted

Zeppo

Mar 29, 2010, 12:13:33 PM3/29/10

"Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:Xns9D4A638...@216.196.97.131...
> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
>
> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
>
> What the heck. I ate it!!!
>
> How was I supposed to know?????
>
> Andy

I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
pretty bad.

I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.

With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard to
get through 8 days without bread and pasta.

Jon

Message has been deleted

brooklyn1

Mar 29, 2010, 2:04:07 PM3/29/10
"Zeppo" wrote:
>"Andy" <a@b.c> wrote

>> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
>> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
>> What the heck. I ate it!!!
>> How was I supposed to know?????
>
>I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
>pretty bad.
>
>I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
>are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
>try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.

Something labeled "Passover Bagel Mix" was never intended for purchase
by observant Jews, it's something observant Jews sell to goyim for an
outrageous price.... goyim thinking (goys can't really think) that
since bagels are Jewish then Passover bagels must be the best bagels.

>With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard to
>get through 8 days without bread and pasta.

Why no pasta for Passover... observant Jews eat more pasta during
Passover than any other time of the year. You obviously can't cook a
lick and you know nothing about Judaism... maybe you should move to
South Afrika.

http://www.manischewitz.com/products/index.php

sf

Mar 29, 2010, 5:43:09 PM3/29/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:57:10 -0500, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:

> Passover Matza Lasagna?
>
> Is that OK?
>
> Great success story!

I saw a recipe for matzo-granola on Martha Stewart today. There was
a side note on Jewish dietary practice that explained why the recipe
calls for margarine and not butter.
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/matzo-granola

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

James Silverton

Mar 29, 2010, 5:52:41 PM3/29/10
sf wrote on Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:43:09 -0700:

>> Passover Matza Lasagna?
>>
>> Is that OK?
>>
>> Great success story!
>>
> I saw a recipe for matzo-granola on Martha Stewart today.
> There was a side note on Jewish dietary practice that
> explained why the recipe calls for margarine and not butter.
> http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/matzo-granola

Forget the rabbinical rules, why did Jews go to a new batch of yeast at
Passover? The sourdough doesn't get dangerous does it, unlike shellfish
in the Palestine summer and I won't discuss the eating habits of pigs.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Message has been deleted

Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr.

Mar 29, 2010, 7:28:25 PM3/29/10
On Mar 29, 11:04 am, brooklyn1 <gravesen...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Zeppo" wrote:
> >"Andy" <a...@b.c> wrote

Of course, non-ignorant Jews know that South Africa has had a large
Jewish community:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_South_Africa

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Mar 29, 2010, 7:37:09 PM3/29/10
In article <hor7f4$pfo$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote:

> Forget the rabbinical rules, why did Jews go to a new batch of yeast at
> Passover? The sourdough doesn't get dangerous does it, unlike shellfish
> in the Palestine summer and I won't discuss the eating habits of pigs.

i'll let an actual Jew give the real reason, but I'm assuming it is
because they are supposed to clean out all yeast and other leaven, so
they don't have it any more.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Arri London

Mar 29, 2010, 8:21:16 PM3/29/10

Andy wrote:

> Passover Matza Lasagna?
>
> Is that OK?
>
> Great success story!
>

> Andy

If there's no meat or pasta in it, it's fine. Jeffrey Nathan had one on
a PBS show. Looked OK, considering.

Arri London

Mar 29, 2010, 8:27:58 PM3/29/10

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:57:10 -0500, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:
>
> > Passover Matza Lasagna?
> >
> > Is that OK?
> >
> > Great success story!
> >
> I saw a recipe for matzo-granola on Martha Stewart today. There was
> a side note on Jewish dietary practice that explained why the recipe
> calls for margarine and not butter.
> http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/matzo-granola

That almost looked edible!

TMU made a pot of chicken soup in the slow cooker overnight. She made
matzo balls to put in it. We took the lot (slow cooker and all) to the
beading class we go to on Mondays. Was amazed at how many people had
never had chicken soup with matzo balls! One of the maintenance chaps
came by and took a bowl. He left the room for a few minutes and returned
with two colleagues LOL. Trouble is, the three of them finished off the
dumplings :(

A good time was had by all. Someone else brought a very good
chocolate/coconut cake.

Message has been deleted

Janet Wilder

Mar 29, 2010, 11:05:35 PM3/29/10

Observant Jews do *NOT* eat pasta on Passover. Pasta is chametz, a
product that is considered "leaven" and prohibited. The food that is the
most consumed is probably potatoes and eggs. Everything needs eggs.

I have seen kosher for Passover noodles that are made of matzo meal, but
I've never tasted them. I do remember making Passover "spaghetti" as a
kid by rolling little bits of a matzo meal based dough into strands. It
was awful!

I'm just back from our community seder and there wasn't a noodle in the
place.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Janet Wilder

Mar 29, 2010, 11:09:19 PM3/29/10
Andy wrote:
> Passover Matza Lasagna?
>
> Is that OK?
>
> Great success story!

Here ya go, Andy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Eggplant Matzo Lasagna

Recipe By :Leslye Michlin Borden, Cooking Light , MARCH 1995
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables Vegetarian

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups mushrooms -- sliced
3 garlic cloves -- crushed
1/4 cup parsley -- chopped fresh
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon basil -- dried
1 teaspoon oregano -- dried
1/4 teaspoon red pepper -- crushed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
28 ounces tomato puré
1 1/4 pounds eggplant -- (about 1 1/4 pounds) peeled and cut
into 1/2-inch slices
Vegetable cooking spray
6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese -- grated; divided
15 ounces nonfat ricotta cheese
3 slices American matzo

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic;
sauté 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, wine, basil, oregano, peppers, and
puré. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 30 minutes.
Remove from heat.

Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated
with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes, turning the slices over
after 15 minutes. Remove from baking sheet, and let cool. Cut the
eggplant slices into 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside.

Combine 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and ricotta cheese; stir well, and set
aside.

Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture in the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking
dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 1 1/2 slices matzo over tomato
mixture, and top matzo with half of ricotta cheese mixture, half of
eggplant, and half of tomato mixture. Repeat the layers, ending with the
tomato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.

Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15
minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Cuisine:
"Passover"
Source:
"myrecipes.com"
S(URL):

"http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=237623"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

brooklyn1

Mar 30, 2010, 8:01:55 AM3/30/10

You haven't been reading the stupid survey threads.

brooklyn1

Mar 30, 2010, 11:43:55 AM3/30/10

So you think Manischewitz hasn't a clue... you're truly an idiot.

blake murphy

Mar 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM3/30/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:08:41 -0500, Andy wrote:

> That reminds me of an old girlfriend. Tried her best to try making flan.
> I've had flan. You've had flan. We've all had flan. She called me into
> the kitchen for a taste. It looked nothing like flan. It was more like
> scrambled eggs. I took a taste and spit it out. She couldn't stop
> laughing. I cried "if you knew it sucked why did you make me try it??" I
> was surprised she didn't faint from laughter!!! :)
>
> Andy

i guess people enjoy tormenting you because you're stupid.

blake

blake murphy

Mar 30, 2010, 12:17:52 PM3/30/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:04:07 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Zeppo" wrote:
>>"Andy" <a@b.c> wrote
>>> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
>>> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
>>> What the heck. I ate it!!!
>>> How was I supposed to know?????
>>
>>I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
>>pretty bad.
>>
>>I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
>>are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
>>try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.
>
> Something labeled "Passover Bagel Mix" was never intended for purchase
> by observant Jews, it's something observant Jews sell to goyim for an
> outrageous price.... goyim thinking (goys can't really think)

as opposed to rebbe sheldon, one of the deepest thinkers of our time...

blake

blake murphy

Mar 30, 2010, 12:19:24 PM3/30/10

sheldon knows as much about judaism as he knows about everything else.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Mar 30, 2010, 12:20:46 PM3/30/10
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:12:25 -0500, Andy wrote:

>>> I saw a recipe for matzo-granola on Martha Stewart today.
>>> There was a side note on Jewish dietary practice that
>>> explained why the recipe calls for margarine and not butter.
>>> http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/matzo-granola
>>
>> Forget the rabbinical rules, why did Jews go to a new batch of yeast at
>> Passover? The sourdough doesn't get dangerous does it, unlike shellfish
>> in the Palestine summer and I won't discuss the eating habits of pigs.
>

> Rabbi and Priest walking together down a crowded city street.
>
> Priest: "Rabbi, have you ever had ham?" Rabbi answers "Why yes, yes I
> have! It was very good!"
>
> A few blocks later the Rabbi asks "Priest, have you ever had sex?" Priest
> answers "Why yes, yes I have. It was great!"
>
> Rabbi asks "Better than ham??"
>
> :)))
>
> Andy
> I've got Irish jokes!!

i bet they're real knee-slappers, too.

blake

Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr.

Mar 30, 2010, 8:02:36 PM3/30/10

What stupid survey threads?

Zeppo

Mar 31, 2010, 4:25:37 PM3/31/10

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

My wife makes this every year to use as breakfast cereal. It's addictive
enough to be referred to as 'Passover Heroin'. This to differentiate it from
the toffee and chocolate covered matzoh dessert I make which is known as
'Passover' crack'. I asked her to hide the stuff from me this year cause I
have no willpower when it comes to that stuff.

Jon