Sausage biscuits?

ChattyCathy

May 11, 2010, 11:15:00 AM5/11/10
Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
eatery). I've seen many discussions about biscuits and sausage gravy
here but not that exactly, so I did some googling and it looks like
they could be biscuits cut in half with a slice of 'sausage patty' in
between. The pictures thereof reminded me of burgers...

<http://www.hardees.com/menu/breakfast/sausage-biscuit/>

However, I also saw a video of Paula Deen making them on the Smithfield
website

<http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/sausage-biscuits>

and they sorta looked like doughnuts with a piece of sausage where the
hole should be when they were done (to me) <laugh>

So what gives? Are there other 'variations'? Should there be variations?
Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Message has been deleted

Nancy2

May 11, 2010, 11:34:41 AM5/11/10

I cannot believe you cannot picture a "sausage biscuit." Ever been to
a fast-food place like Hardee's? It's a round sausage patty in
between a split baking powder biscuit. (Paula Deen seems to have made
up her own version which sounds really nasty.).

I often make them when I make b. powder biscuits - sausage, egg and
cheese, just plain sausage, or egg and cheese or whatever. (They're
better than fast-food.) I really like bacon, egg and cheese the best.

N.

piedmont

May 11, 2010, 11:37:50 AM5/11/10
"ChattyCathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
> biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
snip

> Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

typical here in Carolina is biscuit with a white gravy made of chopped upped
regular 'breakfast' sausage, you know, sage, black pepper, salt, red pepper.
Cook up the sausage and using the grease to whip up white pan gravy.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Christine Dabney

May 11, 2010, 11:41:23 AM5/11/10
On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:34:41 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
<nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:

>I cannot believe you cannot picture a "sausage biscuit." Ever been to
>a fast-food place like Hardee's? It's a round sausage patty in
>between a split baking powder biscuit. (Paula Deen seems to have made
>up her own version which sounds really nasty.).

Cathy is in South Africa....

Christine

Serene Vannoy

May 11, 2010, 11:44:39 AM5/11/10
ChattyCathy wrote:
> Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
> biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
> eatery). I've seen many discussions about biscuits and sausage gravy
> here but not that exactly, so I did some googling and it looks like
> they could be biscuits cut in half with a slice of 'sausage patty' in
> between. The pictures thereof reminded me of burgers...
>
> <http://www.hardees.com/menu/breakfast/sausage-biscuit/>

Yeah, that's a sausage biscuit.

> However, I also saw a video of Paula Deen making them on the Smithfield
> website
>
> <http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/sausage-biscuits>

And that's some sort of bizarre thing I've never seen before. :-)

Serene
--
"Basic principles of the Universe, oo. Do tell. Quantum mechanics?"
"You cannot know simultaneously where you are in a relationship *and*

Steve Freides

May 11, 2010, 11:49:12 AM5/11/10

Pretty much everything made with sausage tastes good, if you ask me.
Note that "sausage biscuit" is just a piece of sausage on a biscuit,
plus maybe eggs and/or cheese - you can order it at McDonald's. Sausage
gravy isn't something this northerner knows anything about except that
it's something different than a sausage biscuit. I've had sausage as
part of my dinner the last two days so it's been on my mind. :)

-S-

ChattyCathy

May 11, 2010, 12:31:28 PM5/11/10
Christine Dabney wrote:

Obviously Nancy2 didn't know that. I'm still a newbie here, after all...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

George Shirley

May 11, 2010, 12:37:35 PM5/11/10

I'm a lazy cook, seldom make biscuits or gravy either. We will have Mary
B's frozen biscuits about once a week and I just open up a can of
Campbell's Sausage gravy to heat and pour over. Both are as good as I
can make them and breakfast is ready in twenty minutes versus an hour or so.

When I did make them the biscuits were whole wheat and were just
biscuits. I would take a pound of good sausage, fresh stuff, not the
links, break it up, fry it done, drain off the fat, then make a white
gravy to go in the pan with it. Start to eat it took an hour or more,
not anymore. <G>

zxcvbob

May 11, 2010, 1:04:44 PM5/11/10
Serene Vannoy wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
>> biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
>> eatery). I've seen many discussions about biscuits and sausage gravy
>> here but not that exactly, so I did some googling and it looks like
>> they could be biscuits cut in half with a slice of 'sausage patty' in
>> between. The pictures thereof reminded me of burgers...
>> <http://www.hardees.com/menu/breakfast/sausage-biscuit/>
>
> Yeah, that's a sausage biscuit.
>

>> However, I also saw a video of Paula Deen making them on the Smithfield
>> website
>>
>> <http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/sausage-biscuits>
>
> And that's some sort of bizarre thing I've never seen before. :-)
>
> Serene

I didn't watch the video, just saw the picture. I've never seen
anything quite like that before, but it might be good -- or it might
be too greasy, just depending on how greasy the sausage is plus the
shortening in the biscuits.

The closest thing I've seen is yeasted bread dough wrapped around a
piece of sausage link and baked. Those are really good. (I should
make some while the weather is still cold and dreary) Cooked
extra-hot Little Sizzlers breakfast links work well.

Bob

sf

May 11, 2010, 1:45:51 PM5/11/10
On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:15:00 +0200, ChattyCathy
<cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
> biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
> eatery). I've seen many discussions about biscuits and sausage gravy
> here but not that exactly, so I did some googling and it looks like
> they could be biscuits cut in half with a slice of 'sausage patty' in
> between. The pictures thereof reminded me of burgers...
>
> <http://www.hardees.com/menu/breakfast/sausage-biscuit/>

<snip>

> So what gives? Are there other 'variations'? Should there be variations?
> Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?

It sounds like McDonald's to me. I (personally) don't like sausage
biscuits, but I do like sausage muffins and did made them at home
occasionally when the kids were still kids.

1. Take commercial sausage, such as Jimmy Dean's hot, and make into
extra wide (they shrink when cooked), very-very thin patties... 1/4
inch or so thick.
2. Fry until cooked through
3. Top with yellow cheese (I use mild cheddar but a slice of American
will do) and allow to melt.
4. Place between 2 slices of lightly toasted American style "English"
muffins such as Thomas' (but pre-sliced generic is fine too)
5. Eat with gusto

The variation is to add a hard cooked egg to it.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3911330422_5d2f345fdf.jpg

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

cybercat

May 11, 2010, 1:51:15 PM5/11/10

"George Shirley" <gsh...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> On 5/11/2010 10:15 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
>> biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
>> eatery). I've seen many discussions about biscuits and sausage gravy
>> here but not that exactly, so I did some googling and it looks like
>> they could be biscuits cut in half with a slice of 'sausage patty' in
>> between. The pictures thereof reminded me of burgers...
>>
>> <http://www.hardees.com/menu/breakfast/sausage-biscuit/>
>>
>> However, I also saw a video of Paula Deen making them on the Smithfield
>> website
>>
>> <http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/sausage-biscuits>
>>
>> and they sorta looked like doughnuts with a piece of sausage where the
>> hole should be when they were done (to me)<laugh>
>>
>> So what gives? Are there other 'variations'? Should there be variations?
>> Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?
>
> I'm a lazy cook, seldom make biscuits or gravy either. We will have Mary
> B's frozen biscuits about once a week and I just open up a can of
> Campbell's Sausage gravy to heat and pour over.

A CAN!?!

sf

May 11, 2010, 2:07:34 PM5/11/10
On Tue, 11 May 2010 13:51:15 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> "George Shirley" <gsh...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >

> > I'm a lazy cook, seldom make biscuits or gravy either. We will have Mary
> > B's frozen biscuits about once a week and I just open up a can of
> > Campbell's Sausage gravy to heat and pour over.
>
> A CAN!?!

Get that man an electric can opener with bite!

Ranee at Arabian Knits

May 11, 2010, 2:25:55 PM5/11/10
In article <dweGn.8661$TL5....@newsfe24.iad>,
ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> So what gives? Are there other 'variations'? Should there be variations?
> Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?

Biscuit sandwich with sausage in the middle. We like them with fried
egg and cheese as well.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Nan

May 11, 2010, 3:05:31 PM5/11/10
When I make it, I fry out the loose sausage, and add flour while
browning it, and keeping on making the pieces smaller til crumbled.
When the flour & sausage is browned well, add milk to well above the
sausage level. I season with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne
pepper(just a little to give a Little heat). Taste and salt as
necessary. Let it boil enough to thicken, don't leave it, you know how
milk boils over easily. Keep wisking and/or scraping the whole time
and getting the good stuff off the bottom of pan. I use an iron
skillet I can scrape vigorously. Then serve over halved biscuits.
Even better the next day!! I didn't read anyone elses recipe, so hope
this isn't duplicated. This is my own version after tasting it once.
Nan in DE

Nan

May 11, 2010, 3:12:52 PM5/11/10

Oh, I just read the Paula Deen recipe, that sounds nasty. I copied
this from a
southern restaurants version in SC. Had to have it cuz my SIL sweetie
wanted it, and
I'd never had or seen it. Now it's for special occasions. And
sometimes for lazy
dinners!! Nan

sf

May 11, 2010, 3:17:54 PM5/11/10
On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:05:31 -0700 (PDT), Nan <nan...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> When I make it, I fry out the loose sausage, and add flour while
> browning it, and keeping on making the pieces smaller til crumbled.

<snip>
That's biscuit with sausage gravy. Different thing.

Nancy2

May 11, 2010, 3:56:37 PM5/11/10

> > However, I also saw a video of Paula Deen making them on the Smithfield
> > website
>
> >  <http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/sausage-biscuits>
>
> And that's some sort of bizarre thing I've never seen before. :-)
>
> Serene

...LOL. It looks like a fast, easy (ugly) version of Toad in a Hole.

And sorry, I didn't know Cathy was in S.Africa.

N.

Nancy2

May 11, 2010, 3:57:54 PM5/11/10

That's "biscuits 'n gravy," not "sausage biscuits." Very tasty.

N.

Virginia Tadrzynski

May 11, 2010, 11:51:19 AM5/11/10

"piedmont" <See...@ForAddress.Net> wrote in message

By the name Piedmont, I'm assuming you are in the Piedmont Sandhills of NC
(where I'm originally from).....so you've never been to
Biscuitville.......they can find more things to stuff in a biscuit for
breakfast than anyone I've ever seen.
-ginny

Virginia Tadrzynski

May 11, 2010, 4:45:18 PM5/11/10

"Nan" <nan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I was taught this is called 'Saw Mill Gravy and biscuits'...
-ginny

Mr. Bill

May 11, 2010, 4:59:44 PM5/11/10
On May 11, 11:34 am, Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> between a split baking powder biscuit.  (Paula Deen seems to have made
> up her own version which sounds really nasty.).

If you read the credits at the end of the recipe...

"Recipe and photo courtesy of Smithfield". Paula Deen was just the
mouthpiece.

Lew Hodgett

May 11, 2010, 5:21:10 PM5/11/10

"Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote:

> I was taught this is called 'Saw Mill Gravy and biscuits'...

Substitute white bread toast for biscuits and you have another version
of SOS.

BTW, I'll pass on the cinnamon for mine<G>.

BTW, cured ham slices are a fine substitute for sausage.

Lew

George Shirley

May 11, 2010, 5:27:57 PM5/11/10
On 5/11/2010 3:45 PM, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Nan"<nan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> When I make it, I fry out the loose sausage, and add flour while
>> browning it, and keeping on making the pieces smaller til crumbled.
>> When the flour& sausage is browned well, add milk to well above the

>> sausage level. I season with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne
>> pepper(just a little to give a Little heat). Taste and salt as
>> necessary. Let it boil enough to thicken, don't leave it, you know how
>> milk boils over easily. Keep wisking and/or scraping the whole time
>> and getting the good stuff off the bottom of pan. I use an iron
>> skillet I can scrape vigorously. Then serve over halved biscuits.
>> Even better the next day!! I didn't read anyone elses recipe, so hope
>> this isn't duplicated. This is my own version after tasting it once.
>> Nan in DE
>
> I was taught this is called 'Saw Mill Gravy and biscuits'...
> -ginny

In East Texas it is "Sawmill Gravy with cat head biscuits." Cathead
biscuits are not cut from rolled dough, they're just dumped by the half
or three-quarter cup full on the baking sheet. My Mom just called them
"dump" biscuits. Sawmill gravy is just flour and milk with a little salt
and pepper and then cooked until thick where I come from.

J. Clarke

May 11, 2010, 5:28:07 PM5/11/10

They're basically breakfast hamburgers--a little smaller than the
regular kind and with "breakfasty" ingredients. Other variants are the
Egg McMuffin on an "English" muffin (which has little to do with
England), the "Croissan'wich" on a sliced sorta kinda croissant, and the
bagel sandwich. I think McDonalds started the trend with the "Egg
McMuffin" in 1972 and everybody else jumped on the bandwagon, including
many locally-owned diners and the like. They can be made with sausage,
ham, eggs, bacon, or whatever else floats your boat, in whatever
combination you like.

I like that kind of thing when I'm on the go in the morning, but it
loses its charm if one has time to enjoy the meal.

zxcvbob

May 11, 2010, 6:00:13 PM5/11/10

We called them "drop biscuits" and made 'em a little smaller than
that. I like "cathead" better :-)

Bob

Goomba

May 11, 2010, 7:11:29 PM5/11/10

She ought to give more consideration to that which bears her name.

Food Snob®

May 11, 2010, 7:36:21 PM5/11/10
On May 11, 10:34 am, Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
> On May 11, 10:15 am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>

> > Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
> > biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
> > eatery). I've seen many discussions about biscuits and sausage gravy
> > here but not that exactly, so I did some googling and it looks like
> > they could be biscuits cut in half with a slice of 'sausage patty' in
> > between. The pictures thereof reminded me of burgers...
>
> > <http://www.hardees.com/menu/breakfast/sausage-biscuit/>
>
> > However, I also saw a video of Paula Deen making them on the Smithfield
> > website
>
> >  <http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/sausage-biscuits>
>
> > and they sorta looked like doughnuts with a piece of sausage where the
> > hole should be when they were done (to me) <laugh>
>
> > So what gives? Are there other 'variations'? Should there be variations?
> > Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy
>
> I cannot believe you cannot picture a "sausage biscuit."  Ever been to
> a fast-food place like Hardee's?  It's a round sausage patty in
> between a split baking powder biscuit.  (Paula Deen seems to have made
> up her own version which sounds really nasty.).

The ones at McDonald's are better than the ones at Hardee's, which has
a thing called Loaded Omelet Biscuit, that is very stingily loaded.
That said, Hardee's burgers, fries, shakes and such are better than
McD's.

> I often make them when I make b. powder biscuits - sausage, egg and
> cheese, just plain sausage, or egg and cheese or whatever.  (They're
> better than fast-food.)  I really like bacon, egg and cheese the best.

When one has to be at work at 6 AM, fast food drive thru is a good
thing. I bring along some butter to put on the sausage biscuit from
McD's. Someone mentioned here that McD's sausage used to be better,
and I wholeheartedly agree. here used to be nice flakes of red pepper
in it. he advantages of homemade over fast food are that you can make
the egg over easy instead of scrambled, and if you want cheese, you
can use real cheese, not those process slices.

> N.

--Bryan

Arri London

May 11, 2010, 8:06:31 PM5/11/10

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
> biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
> eatery). I've seen many discussions about biscuits and sausage gravy
> here but not that exactly, so I did some googling and it looks like
> they could be biscuits cut in half with a slice of 'sausage patty' in
> between. The pictures thereof reminded me of burgers...
>
> <http://www.hardees.com/menu/breakfast/sausage-biscuit/>
>
> However, I also saw a video of Paula Deen making them on the Smithfield
> website
>
> <http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/sausage-biscuits>
>
> and they sorta looked like doughnuts with a piece of sausage where the
> hole should be when they were done (to me) <laugh>
>
> So what gives? Are there other 'variations'? Should there be variations?
> Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?
> --

We make them from time to time. Just freshly-baked biscuits (like a soft
scone), sliced and a freshly-cooked patty/burger of sausage meat
inserted. Eat and repeat :d

A common breakfast item at many US fast food places.

Food Snob®

May 11, 2010, 8:30:28 PM5/11/10

She should, and the piece of filth named W Puck should as well. He
put his name on ''cream of'' soups that were made with non-dairy
creamer.

--Bryan

Food Snob®

May 11, 2010, 8:41:00 PM5/11/10
On May 11, 10:51 am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" <ta...@ptd.net> wrote:
> "piedmont" <See...@ForAddress.Net> wrote in message

> > "ChattyCathy" <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> >> Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
> >> biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
> > snip
> >> Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> Chatty Cathy
>
> > typical here in Carolina is biscuit with a white gravy made of chopped
> > upped regular 'breakfast' sausage, you know, sage, black pepper, salt, red
> > pepper. Cook up the sausage and using the grease to whip up white pan
> > gravy.
>
> > --
> > regards, piedmont (michael)
> > The Practical BBQ'r -http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

> > (mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8
>
> By the name Piedmont, I'm assuming you are in the Piedmont Sandhills of NC
> (where I'm originally from).....so you've never been to
> Biscuitville.......they can find more things to stuff in a biscuit for
> breakfast than anyone I've ever seen.

My wife and her friend, back when they were teenagers, used to play
this game where they had to alternately name geologic features, the
first to be at a loss for a term lost. Obviously, no term could be
repeated in any game. Lake, piedmont, delta, steppes, river, karst,
flood plain, mountain, tundra...

> -ginny

--Bryan

itsjoannotjoann

May 11, 2010, 10:26:39 PM5/11/10
On May 11, 4:21 pm, "Lew Hodgett" <sails.m...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Nan" wrote:
> > When I make it, I fry out the loose sausage, and add flour while
> > browning it, and keeping on making the pieces smaller til crumbled.
> > When the flour & sausage is browned well, add milk to well above the
> > sausage level. I season with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne
> > pepper(just a little to give a Little heat).
>
> BTW, I'll pass on the cinnamon for mine<G>.
>

> Lew

And leave out the nutmeg and cayenne, too! If you use 'hot' sausage
you won't need the addition of cayenne. I can't imagine cinnamon and
nutmeg in gravy.

Food Snob®

May 11, 2010, 10:32:19 PM5/11/10

I can, and it seems repulsive.

--Bryan

Pete C.

May 11, 2010, 11:33:25 PM5/11/10

Steve Freides wrote:

> Sausage
> gravy isn't something this northerner knows anything about except that
> it's something different than a sausage biscuit. I've had sausage as
> part of my dinner the last two days so it's been on my mind. :)
>
> -S-

Well, you should find out about sausage gravy (over biscuits) 'cause
it's very good. This ex-yankee apparently knows something about sausage
gravy as I made it for a group that included some native southerners and
it was reported to be some of the best they'd had.

Pete C.

May 11, 2010, 11:40:41 PM5/11/10

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:05:31 -0700 (PDT), Nan <nan...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > When I make it, I fry out the loose sausage, and add flour while
> > browning it, and keeping on making the pieces smaller til crumbled.
>
> <snip>
> That's biscuit with sausage gravy. Different thing.

There is also a third thing, which is a biscuit with crumbled sausage
(lightly browned) mixed into the biscuit dough before baking.

Lew Hodgett

May 12, 2010, 12:19:29 AM5/12/10
Steve Freides wrote:

> Sausage
> gravy isn't something this northerner knows anything about except
> that
> it's something different than a sausage biscuit.
Sausage gravy = B�chamel sauce made with sausage drippings instead of
butter.

Lew

THE-M...@webtv.net

May 12, 2010, 12:18:35 AM5/12/10
Hi Chatty Cathy....I just happened to stop by and check out this
discussion board. and saw your Sausage biscuits question.

It has been a long time....but when I was young no one had heard of
biscuits in a can. Every one made their own biscuits and bread. I can
remember my grandmother and my aunt Kate would take
fried, drained sausage in pieces and add them to their biscuit dough.
some times they would add sprinkles of cheese on top of the biscuits
when they were almost done. I saw them also add other things to their
biscuit dough like ham or bacon.

I always loves Sundays at my grandmother's, great sausage biscuits,
gravy, skillet of fried potatoes and onions, fried eggs, and the
heavenly smell of fresh perked coffee.

Charlotte L. Blackmer

May 12, 2010, 1:02:54 AM5/12/10
In article <arabianknits-554D...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Ranee at Arabian Knits <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>In article <dweGn.8661$TL5....@newsfe24.iad>,
> ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> So what gives? Are there other 'variations'? Should there be variations?

Ham biscuits are a southern US staple for festive breakfast/brunch
buffets and funeral food. El cheapo ham features in the fast-food
version of breakfast biscuit sandwiches. But I like the sausage patties
better.

Sausage biscuits often have cheese, egg, or both on them.

>> Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?
>
> Biscuit sandwich with sausage in the middle. We like them with fried
>egg and cheese as well.

I don't usually make sausage biscuits at home - to me, they're breakfast
fast food either from McD's (a rare on-the-road occasion after I looked
up the calorie count, yikes!) or frozen Jimmy Dean.

But when I make my breakfast sandwiches (with an English muffin), the egg
is scrambled in the microwave; I use the small "fruit" dishes from my
stoneware to get a round, flat cooked egg.

Charlotte

cybercat

May 12, 2010, 1:11:31 AM5/12/10

"Lew Hodgett" <sails...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Exactly. Creamed chipped beef sans beef, use sausage bits and drippings.

ChattyCathy

May 12, 2010, 2:39:13 AM5/12/10
Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:

> I don't usually make sausage biscuits at home - to me, they're
> breakfast fast food either from McD's (a rare on-the-road occasion
> after I looked up the calorie count, yikes!) or frozen Jimmy Dean.
>
> But when I make my breakfast sandwiches (with an English muffin), the
> egg
> is scrambled in the microwave; I use the small "fruit" dishes from my
> stoneware to get a round, flat cooked egg.

Thanks (to all) for the explanation(s). We have McD's here in RSA too,
but a) I seldom buy anything from them either and b) I don't recall
seeing sausage biscuits on their menu.

<GIMF>

Just checked their local website - they have a "Sausage McMuffin(tm)"
and a "Sausage Egg McMuffin(tm)" listed there. Guess that's as close as
I'm gonna get ;-)

http://www.mcdonalds.co.za/our_food/product.php?catid=1
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Charlotte L. Blackmer

May 12, 2010, 2:50:11 AM5/12/10
In article <v2sGn.4544$0M5...@newsfe07.iad>,

ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>
>> I don't usually make sausage biscuits at home - to me, they're
>> breakfast fast food either from McD's (a rare on-the-road occasion
>> after I looked up the calorie count, yikes!) or frozen Jimmy Dean.
>>
>> But when I make my breakfast sandwiches (with an English muffin), the
>> egg
>> is scrambled in the microwave; I use the small "fruit" dishes from my
>> stoneware to get a round, flat cooked egg.
>
>Thanks (to all) for the explanation(s). We have McD's here in RSA too,
>but a) I seldom buy anything from them either and b) I don't recall
>seeing sausage biscuits on their menu.
>
>Just checked their local website - they have a "Sausage McMuffin(tm)"
>and a "Sausage Egg McMuffin(tm)" listed there. Guess that's as close as
>I'm gonna get ;-)
>
>http://www.mcdonalds.co.za/our_food/product.php?catid=1

Don't people think "small sweet things" when they hear "biscuits" around
you, though? What Americans would call cookies?

The thought would be as gross as Paula Deen's monstrosities using donuts
instead of bread.

Charlotte

ChattyCathy

May 12, 2010, 3:12:48 AM5/12/10
Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:

> Don't people think "small sweet things" when they hear "biscuits"
> around
> you, though? What Americans would call cookies?

Yes indeed. Which probably explains why they're not on the McD's menu as
such over here <lol>

> The thought would be as gross as Paula Deen's monstrosities using
> donuts instead of bread.

Quite so.

--
Cheers
ChattyCathy

Nancy Young

May 12, 2010, 7:39:47 AM5/12/10
Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
> ChattyCathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>> Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>>
>>> I don't usually make sausage biscuits at home - to me, they're
>>> breakfast fast food either from McD's (a rare on-the-road occasion
>>> after I looked up the calorie count, yikes!) or frozen Jimmy Dean.

If I find myself at McD's for breakfast, not a destination but a
convenience, I get the sausage biscuit. I'm pretty sure it's not a
low-cal choice. Heh.

> Don't people think "small sweet things" when they hear "biscuits"
> around you, though? What Americans would call cookies?
>
> The thought would be as gross as Paula Deen's monstrosities using
> donuts instead of bread.

When I saw that, I actually thought my eyes had deceived me. Surely
she is not making a burger using a Krispy Kreme donut for a roll.
Because that is nauseating and for whatever reason it just pissed me
off. Before, her 'stick of butter' cooking was kind of amusing but maybe
getting old. To me, the show jumped the shark with that donut business
and I've rarely seen her since.

nancy

Steve Freides

May 12, 2010, 9:32:57 AM5/12/10

Thanks, everyone. I love creamed chipped beef - sounds like sausage
gravy is worth investigating.

-S-

piedmont

May 12, 2010, 9:55:38 AM5/12/10
"Virginia Tadrzynski" <ta...@ptd.net> wrote in message

near charlotte, more clay than sand, i have seen road signs for biscuitville
but haven't stooped at one yet.

Nan

May 12, 2010, 12:30:51 PM5/12/10
On May 11, 3:57 pm, Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> On May 11, 2:05 pm, Nan <nann...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > When I make it, I fry out the loose sausage, and add flour while
> > browning it, and keeping on making the pieces smaller til crumbled.
> > When the flour & sausage is browned well, add milk to well above the
> > sausage level. I season with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne
> > pepper(just a little to give a Little heat). Taste and salt as
> > necessary. Let it boil enough to thicken, don't leave it, you know how
> > milk boils over easily. Keep wisking  and/or scraping the whole time
> > and getting the good stuff off the bottom of pan. I use an iron
> > skillet I can scrape vigorously.  Then serve over halved biscuits.
> > Even better the next day!! I didn't read anyone elses recipe, so hope
> > this isn't duplicated. This is my own version after tasting it once.
> > Nan in DE
>
> That's "biscuits 'n gravy," not "sausage biscuits."  Very tasty.
>
> N.

Whoops, My bad. We love it for company when I can cook up a passle of
it easily, or even better, the day before and just reheat!! But with
fresh biscuits.

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

May 12, 2010, 5:50:06 PM5/12/10
In article <hsdcpu$ari$1...@blue.rahul.net>,

c...@mauve.rahul.net (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

> In article <arabianknits-554D...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Ranee at Arabian Knits <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Biscuit sandwich with sausage in the middle. We like them with fried
> >egg and cheese as well.
>
> I don't usually make sausage biscuits at home - to me, they're breakfast
> fast food either from McD's (a rare on-the-road occasion after I looked
> up the calorie count, yikes!) or frozen Jimmy Dean.

Whereas the quality and flavor of those is what made me start making
them at home. :-)

> But when I make my breakfast sandwiches (with an English muffin), the egg
> is scrambled in the microwave; I use the small "fruit" dishes from my
> stoneware to get a round, flat cooked egg.

We're heathens here. I just section the egg enough to fit on the
biscuit. I've thought about using rings while I cook them, but I can
cram much more egg in the pan at once if I don't.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Michael O'Connor

May 13, 2010, 12:56:07 AM5/13/10
On May 11, 11:26 am, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:

> ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> > Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
> > biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
> > eatery). I've seen many discussions about biscuits and sausage gravy
> > here but not that exactly, so I did some googling and it looks like
> > they could be biscuits cut in half with a slice of 'sausage patty' in
> > between. The pictures thereof reminded me of burgers...
>
> > <http://www.hardees.com/menu/breakfast/sausage-biscuit/>
>
> > However, I also saw a video of Paula Deen making them on the Smithfield
> > website
>
> >  <http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/sausage-biscuits>
>
> > and they sorta looked like doughnuts with a piece of sausage where the
> > hole should be when they were done (to me) <laugh>
>
> > So what gives? Are there other 'variations'? Should there be variations?
> > Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?
>
> CC,
>
> That's one way of doing it, if it's only called a sausage biscuit. It can
> include an egg and maybe cheese.

I thought McDonalds and Burger Kings across the US sold them for
breakfast; everywhere I've ever lived over the past 20 years the fast
food places that are open for breakfast have them on the menu. Bacon
Egg and Cheese is another one. Chick Fil A serves a Chicken biscuit
for breakfast, and some restaurants carry a steak biscuit, which is a
breaded processed country fried steak patty on a biscuit. Everywhere
I've ever lived they carry them in supermarkets in the frozen food
aisle next to the frozen waffle and pancakes; Jimmy Dean has a whole
line of breakfast sandwiches that are sold in supermarkets.

Burger King has the Crossanwich, which is like a sausage biscuit but
with a croissant.

Here in the south many people put jelly on their sausage biscuits, the
thought of which repulses me. Others put yellow mustard on them. I
prefer hot sauce (either Texas Pete or Frank's Red Hot Sauce) on my
biscuits, and if I don't have any hot sauce I'll settle for a dollop
of ketchup..

Michael O'Connor

May 13, 2010, 1:02:40 AM5/13/10
On May 12, 9:32 am, "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > "Lew Hodgett" <sails.m...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> >> Sausage gravy = Béchamel sauce made with sausage drippings instead of

> >> butter.
>
> > Exactly. Creamed chipped beef sans beef, use sausage bits and
> > drippings.
>
> Thanks, everyone.  I love creamed chipped beef - sounds like sausage
> gravy is worth investigating.
>
> -S-

Sausage Gravy also has chunks of sausage in it. I cook the sausage,
brown it up and break it up like browning hamburger meat, then remove
the sausage and set aside and in the same pan with the drippings
inside make the gravy with flour and milk and salt and lots of pepper,
and once the gravy is done put the sausage back in and serve over
fresh hot biscuits. Also good over country fried steak or mashed
potatoes.

Lew Hodgett

May 13, 2010, 1:09:54 AM5/13/10

"Michael O'Connor" wrote:

>Sausage Gravy also has chunks of sausage in it. I cook the sausage,
brown it up and break it up like browning hamburger meat, then remove
the sausage and set aside and in the same pan with the drippings
inside make the gravy with flour and milk and salt and lots of pepper,
and once the gravy is done put the sausage back in and serve over
fresh hot biscuits. Also good over country fried steak or mashed
potatoes.

Also works with bacon.

Lew

ChattyCathy

May 13, 2010, 1:52:16 AM5/13/10
Michael O'Connor wrote:

> I thought McDonalds and Burger Kings across the US sold them for
> breakfast; everywhere I've ever lived over the past 20 years the fast
> food places that are open for breakfast have them on the menu.

Yabut, I don't live in the US ;-)

Here in South Africa the term 'biscuits' refers to what people in the
USA know as 'cookies'. And like I said in another post, McD's over here
don't have "Sausage biscuits" on their menu. They sell Sausage
McMuffins(tm) but not biscuits. Different thing.

> Here in the south many people put jelly on their sausage biscuits, the
> thought of which repulses me. Others put yellow mustard on them. I
> prefer hot sauce (either Texas Pete or Frank's Red Hot Sauce) on my
> biscuits, and if I don't have any hot sauce I'll settle for a dollop
> of ketchup..

That's another thing, most of us still refer to 'ketchup' as 'tomato
sauce' <lol> Terminology strikes again.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Terry

May 13, 2010, 11:54:22 AM5/13/10
On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:02:40 -0700 (PDT), "Michael O'Connor"
<mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:

>On May 12, 9:32�am, "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote:
>> cybercat wrote:
>> > "Lew Hodgett" <sails.m...@verizon.net> wrote in message

>> > Exactly. Creamed chipped beef sans beef, use sausage bits and
>> > drippings.
>>
>> Thanks, everyone. �I love creamed chipped beef - sounds like sausage
>> gravy is worth investigating.
>>
>> -S-
>
>Sausage Gravy also has chunks of sausage in it. I cook the sausage,
>brown it up and break it up like browning hamburger meat, then remove
>the sausage and set aside and in the same pan with the drippings
>inside make the gravy with flour and milk and salt and lots of pepper,
>and once the gravy is done put the sausage back in and serve over
>fresh hot biscuits. Also good over country fried steak or mashed
>potatoes.

Agreed. I used to remove the sausage prior to making the gravy, but
found that it was not necessary. After cooking the flour with the
sausage/drippings/grease, add the milk then cook the gravy a bit
longer than usual, with lots of stirring (whisk). That insures that
the roux that has stuck to the sausage bits gets incorporated into the
gravy.

I'd love some sausage gravy and biscuits right now but that's kinda
off my diet... :-(
--
Best -- Terry

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

May 13, 2010, 11:57:08 AM5/13/10
In article
<4dd25a6b-78aa-4cbb...@s29g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

"Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:

> Sausage Gravy also has chunks of sausage in it. I cook the sausage,
> brown it up and break it up like browning hamburger meat, then remove
> the sausage and set aside and in the same pan with the drippings
> inside make the gravy with flour and milk and salt and lots of pepper,
> and once the gravy is done put the sausage back in and serve over
> fresh hot biscuits. Also good over country fried steak or mashed
> potatoes.

Why do you remove the sausage? I don't, I just leave it in the pan
while I make the gravy, but I'm wondering if there is a benefit to
removing it.

Pete C.

May 13, 2010, 12:13:17 PM5/13/10

Lew Hodgett wrote:

> "Michael O'Connor" wrote:
>
> >Sausage Gravy also has chunks of sausage in it. I cook the sausage,
> brown it up and break it up like browning hamburger meat, then remove
> the sausage and set aside and in the same pan with the drippings
> inside make the gravy with flour and milk and salt and lots of pepper,
> and once the gravy is done put the sausage back in and serve over
> fresh hot biscuits. Also good over country fried steak or mashed
> potatoes.

That's more work than is necessary. Just get the sausage broken up and
browning in the pan. Once the fat is melting off, sprinkle the flour
over the sausage and continue browning. You're basically making an
in-place roux. After the sausage / roux combo has cooked a bit, slowly
add milk and / or cream, mix it in and cook some more as it thickens. I
tend to use more cream in my sausage gravy, just cutting it a bit with
milk to get the right consistency. Sausage gravy isn't health food, so
no need to skimp on the cream.

sf

May 13, 2010, 4:55:36 PM5/13/10
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:57:08 -0700, Ran�e at Arabian Knits
<arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why do you remove the sausage? I don't, I just leave it in the pan
> while I make the gravy, but I'm wondering if there is a benefit to
> removing it.

I don't remove it either; in fact if I remove anything it's excess fat
(which is rare these days).

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Virginia Tadrzynski

May 13, 2010, 9:16:55 PM5/13/10

"J. Clarke" <jclarke...@cox.net> wrote in message

> On 5/11/2010 11:15 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Just finished reading a novel where the main character had a "sausage
>> biscuit" and coffee for breakfast (bought from a local Mom and Pop
>> eatery). I've seen many discussions about biscuits and sausage gravy
>> here but not that exactly, so I did some googling and it looks like
>> they could be biscuits cut in half with a slice of 'sausage patty' in
>> between. The pictures thereof reminded me of burgers...
>>
>> <http://www.hardees.com/menu/breakfast/sausage-biscuit/>
>>
>> However, I also saw a video of Paula Deen making them on the Smithfield
>> website
>>
>> <http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/sausage-biscuits>
>>
>> and they sorta looked like doughnuts with a piece of sausage where the
>> hole should be when they were done (to me)<laugh>
>>
>> So what gives? Are there other 'variations'? Should there be variations?
>> Who likes sausage biscuits and/or makes them at home?
>
> They're basically breakfast hamburgers--a little smaller than the regular
> kind and with "breakfasty" ingredients. Other variants are the Egg
> McMuffin on an "English" muffin (which has little to do with England), the
> "Croissan'wich" on a sliced sorta kinda croissant, and the bagel sandwich.
> I think McDonalds started the trend with the "Egg McMuffin" in 1972 and
> everybody else jumped on the bandwagon, including many locally-owned
> diners and the like. They can be made with sausage, ham, eggs, bacon, or
> whatever else floats your boat, in whatever combination you like.
>
> I like that kind of thing when I'm on the go in the morning, but it loses
> its charm if one has time to enjoy the meal.

When I was a teenager, babysitting my nephew (who is now 40 - OMG!), I used
to make him eggs, melt cheese over them and brown a slice of Smithfield ham,
pop them all in a toasted muffin and tell him he was eating the 'original'
McMuffin, since BH (before husband), my maiden name was McDonald.
-ginny

Charlotte L. Blackmer

May 13, 2010, 10:00:35 PM5/13/10
In article <arabianknits-B4AC...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Ran�e at Arabian Knits <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>In article <hsdcpu$ari$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
> c...@mauve.rahul.net (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
>
>> In article <arabianknits-554D...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>> Ranee at Arabian Knits <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Biscuit sandwich with sausage in the middle. We like them with fried
>> >egg and cheese as well.
>>
>> I don't usually make sausage biscuits at home - to me, they're breakfast
>> fast food either from McD's (a rare on-the-road occasion after I looked
>> up the calorie count, yikes!) or frozen Jimmy Dean.
>
> Whereas the quality and flavor of those is what made me start making
>them at home. :-)

Yeah, unfortunately a batch of biscuits is pretty big for my household. I
might try freezing some, though.

>> But when I make my breakfast sandwiches (with an English muffin), the egg
>> is scrambled in the microwave; I use the small "fruit" dishes from my
>> stoneware to get a round, flat cooked egg.
>
> We're heathens here. I just section the egg enough to fit on the
>biscuit. I've thought about using rings while I cook them, but I can
>cram much more egg in the pan at once if I don't.

That would work if I were doing more eggs at a time ;).

I have to say that discovering the microwave in a bowl trick changed how I
view breakfast. (The little dish is well-sprayed with Trader Joe's olive
oil spray.) It's ready in 45 seconds, so the # of days I got a
breakfast-with-quality-protein-on-a-workday increased dramatically.

Charlotte

Lou Decruss

May 13, 2010, 10:40:05 PM5/13/10
<arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article
><4dd25a6b-78aa-4cbb...@s29g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> "Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Sausage Gravy also has chunks of sausage in it. I cook the sausage,
>> brown it up and break it up like browning hamburger meat, then remove
>> the sausage and set aside and in the same pan with the drippings
>> inside make the gravy with flour and milk and salt and lots of pepper,
>> and once the gravy is done put the sausage back in and serve over
>> fresh hot biscuits. Also good over country fried steak or mashed
>> potatoes.
>
> Why do you remove the sausage? I don't, I just leave it in the pan
>while I make the gravy, but I'm wondering if there is a benefit to
>removing it.

There's no benefit to removing it unless you want to increase the mess
you make. It's a wasted step.

Lou

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

May 14, 2010, 2:22:59 PM5/14/10
In article <tkdpu5l7vuvg2agiv...@4ax.com>,
Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

> There's no benefit to removing it unless you want to increase the mess
> you make. It's a wasted step.

It sounded like it to me, but I wondered if maybe more sausage flavor
was retained in the sausage by doing that.

zxcvbob

May 14, 2010, 3:22:02 PM5/14/10

The few times I've made this, I didn't break up the sausages. The
sausage patties were fried in an iron skillet and then removed. The
gravy for the biscuits was more of a way to use the drippings after
cooking sausage, the gravy is not the main event. (as opposed to
making S.O.S.)

Pour off a little of the grease if it's excessive. Add flour to the
hot pan and stir. Add milk, and scrape the pan while stirring over
medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat to a simmer, cook for a
minute or two to cook out the floury taste. Add more milk if it's too
thick. Add salt and lots of black pepper.

Bob

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

May 14, 2010, 4:20:55 PM5/14/10
In article <855m6p...@mid.individual.net>,
zxcvbob <zxc...@charter.net> wrote:

> The few times I've made this, I didn't break up the sausages. The
> sausage patties were fried in an iron skillet and then removed. The
> gravy for the biscuits was more of a way to use the drippings after
> cooking sausage, the gravy is not the main event. (as opposed to
> making S.O.S.)

I use bulk sausage and it _is_ the main event. We sometimes have
sausage gravy over biscuits for dinner. :-)

> Pour off a little of the grease if it's excessive. Add flour to the
> hot pan and stir. Add milk, and scrape the pan while stirring over
> medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat to a simmer, cook for a
> minute or two to cook out the floury taste. Add more milk if it's too
> thick. Add salt and lots of black pepper.

That's pretty much my recipe, too.