OT: Take test and post your score!

FERRANTE

Feb 5, 2010, 11:29:40 PM2/5/10
I got 23 out of 30, so I don't feel too bad, but I am slightly
embarrassed by the ones I missed.

How well will you do?
Mark
(From the web)

Okay you 'red-blooded Americans'.. let's see how you do on this test
24 out of 30 is considered a passing grade. Supposedly 96% of all High
School Seniors FAILED this test... AND if that's not bad enough, 50+%
of all individuals over 50 did too!!

Take the test and be surprised at what we don't know.
http://games.toast.net/independence/

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 6, 2010, 12:15:30 AM2/6/10

Most of the questions were fairly easy, but a couple I can see many
people missing. I scored 25 but two were lucky guesses.

sf

Feb 6, 2010, 1:47:31 AM2/6/10
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 22:29:40 -0600, FERRANTE
<manthony...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm not surprised HS seniors failed the test. They don't teach that
stuff anymore! And I know how you felt. Me too!

I didn't have noscripts turned off so it gave me a false result at
first. I could check my answers against what it claimed I said by
going "back". After I turned off noscript, wheew... I wasn't *that*
dumb after all. 27/30, but it was pure guess on a couple of them.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Default User

Feb 6, 2010, 3:25:13 AM2/6/10
FERRANTE wrote:

29. Missed the one about how many amendments failed to be ratified. Oh
well.

Brian

--
Day 368 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Hoges in WA

Feb 6, 2010, 4:00:54 AM2/6/10

"FERRANTE" <manthony...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

22
Surprisingly.

bulka

Feb 6, 2010, 4:43:25 AM2/6/10
27

I'm a better guesser than I thought.

Bukla

atec 77

Feb 6, 2010, 7:40:51 AM2/6/10
Same here and I am not a yankee
so anyone in the us that gets less than us deserves to be chastised

Food Snob®

Feb 6, 2010, 8:05:17 AM2/6/10

I missed 8, 21 and 22. All three had to do with the # of
Constitutional Amendments. Better study up on that stuff.

--Bryan

Stu

Feb 6, 2010, 8:25:30 AM2/6/10

I scored 22, not had for a Canadian eh!

The ones with the dates threw me off.

Virginia Tadrzynski

Feb 6, 2010, 9:32:42 AM2/6/10

"FERRANTE" <manthony...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Whoo Hoo!!! I got a 28. And I dispute one of the wrong answers.....the one
on impeachment. I thought they fell like one vote short of impeaching
Andrew Johnson..just saying. The other one I missed was a dumb mistake on
my part.
-g

sf

Feb 6, 2010, 10:28:28 AM2/6/10
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 05:05:17 -0800 (PST), Food Snob�
<bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I missed 8, 21 and 22. All three had to do with the # of
> Constitutional Amendments. Better study up on that stuff.

You knew how many presidents had been assassinated? Congratulations,
I had no clue. If I'd thought about it a long time, I might have said
3.

blake murphy

Feb 6, 2010, 10:51:19 AM2/6/10

29. i misread 'who was first vice president' for 'who was first
president.'

your pal,
blake

Food Snob®

Feb 6, 2010, 11:26:00 AM2/6/10
On Feb 6, 9:28 am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 05:05:17 -0800 (PST), Food Snob®

> <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I missed 8, 21 and 22.  All three had to do with the # of
> > Constitutional Amendments.  Better study up on that stuff.
>
> You knew how many presidents had been assassinated?  Congratulations,
> I had no clue.  If I'd thought about it a long time, I might have said
> 3.

The one people would likely have forgotten is Garfield. I memorized
all kinds of stuff about the presidents the Summer between 1st and 2nd
grade (when a normal boy would have been playing baseball or
something). Unfortunately, medical care had improved drastically in
the succeeding 100 years, and the attempt on Reagan (may he rot in
Hell) was unsuccessful.

--Bryan

Kalmia

Feb 6, 2010, 1:24:16 PM2/6/10

25. I blew it on the amendment stuff.

I can't believe anyone would miss on a couple of those, like number of
states and current Prez and Veep.

Isn't history a public school subject any longer? Heck, we started in
the 4th grade and it was repeated yearly with additional info.

Civics was also a 7th and 8th grade requirement.

djs...@aol.com

Feb 6, 2010, 2:11:43 PM2/6/10

I got 25 correct. I missed questions 22, 23, 25, 28, & 29.

Kelvin

Feb 6, 2010, 2:23:19 PM2/6/10

"FERRANTE" <manthony...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I got 23 out of 30, so I don't feel too bad, but I am slightly
> embarrassed by the ones I missed.
>
> How well will you do?
> Mark

Independence DayQuiz

Your Score is 30
Perfect score! Maybe you should run for President!

Feb 6, 2010, 2:36:16 PM2/6/10
Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> Whoo Hoo!!! I got a 28. And I dispute one of the wrong
> answers.....the one on impeachment. I thought they fell like one
> vote short of impeaching Andrew Johnson..just saying.

You're wrong. They did impeach Johnson. They did not convict him, just
as they did not convict Clinton. Impeachment is the equivalent of
indictment elsewhere.

Brian

--
Day 369 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Feb 6, 2010, 2:46:08 PM2/6/10
bulka wrote:

> 27
>
> I'm a better guesser than I thought.

For me, some were logic puzzles. I didn't know the answer, but I could
figure it out. Like the one with voting at 18. I knew what the 18th and
19th amendments were, and about when, so that left it pretty easy that
the one higher number would be it. Had they thrown another in, like
27th, I'd had to guess.

Becca

Feb 6, 2010, 4:48:06 PM2/6/10
sf wrote:
> You knew how many presidents had been assassinated? Congratulations,
> I had no clue. If I'd thought about it a long time, I might have said
> 3.

My score was 26, the ones I missed were on the amendments and how many
presidents were assassinated.

Becca

pure kona

Feb 6, 2010, 7:06:00 PM2/6/10

Failure here:( but then I did not have any US History until High
School. We learned Hawaiian History way back then. But to compensate
for my weakness, my own daughter became a High School History
teacher. She must have felt deprived growing up and so found US
History fascinating- you know how that goes-lol.
aloha,
Cea

sf

Feb 7, 2010, 2:15:25 AM2/7/10

Wasn't that quiz based on the US citizenship test? Asking who the
Prez and Veep are would make sense.

Arri London

Feb 7, 2010, 9:00:34 PM2/7/10

FERRANTE wrote:

> I got 23 out of 30, so I don't feel too bad, but I am slightly
> embarrassed by the ones I missed.
>
> How well will you do?
> Mark

27 out of 30. Pretty good for a noncitizen, n'est-ce pas? However there
was admittedly some guessing, eg which president was born in Texas. Knew
it wasn't Bush :)

Confused the term for Representatives with the one for Senators, got the
number of amendments wrong and the one about the Prohibition Amendment.

Terry Pulliam Burd

Feb 7, 2010, 10:04:57 PM2/7/10
<manthony...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Okay you 'red-blooded Americans'.. let's see how you do on this test
>24 out of 30 is considered a passing grade. Supposedly 96% of all High
>School Seniors FAILED this test... AND if that's not bad enough, 50+%
>of all individuals over 50 did too!!
>
>Take the test and be surprised at what we don't know.
>http://games.toast.net/independence/

I got a 26 - couldn't have named the amendment setting the voting age
if you'd held a gun to my head, missed the prohibition amendment - a
doh! moment, for some reason I spaced Garfield and McKinley's
assasinations and Andrew Johnson's impeachment (which I should have
remembered b/c I have always thought he got a raw deal from a bunch of
p*ssed off sore winners).

OB: Made a lemon meringue pie today for Himself's lunches this week.
Can't remember the last time I made one.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

---

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

PeterL1

Feb 8, 2010, 1:19:10 AM2/8/10
FERRANTE <manthony...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I got 23 out of 30, so I don't feel too bad, but I am slightly
> embarrassed by the ones I missed.
>
> How well will you do?

I got 28.

I must admit a couple were pretty good guesses though.

Mainly the Amendment questions.

http://i45.tinypic.com/bfmagy.jpg

Although the 'How many branches' threw me..... and the "when was the last
amendment ratified'.

I studied pretty hard back when I got my Green Card, in case I had to sit a
test, so looks like some of it stuck, but most of it is common DF.

PeterL1

Feb 8, 2010, 1:22:19 AM2/8/10
"Hoges in WA" <tzhog...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in news:adabn.5928$pv.4561
@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

LOL!! I think most non-'Mericans are going to do better than most
'Natives' because we get taught most that sort of stuff in school. And the
rest is picked up general knowledge.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

Message has been deleted

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 8, 2010, 9:08:56 AM2/8/10
On Feb 5, 11:29 pm, FERRANTE <manthonyferra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I got 23 out of 30, so I don't feel too bad, but I am slightly
> embarrassed by the ones I missed.
>
> How well will you do?
> Mark
> (From the web)
>
> Okay you 'red-blooded Americans'.. let's see how you do on this test
> 24 out of 30 is considered a passing grade. Supposedly 96% of all High
> School Seniors FAILED this test... AND if that's not bad enough, 50+%
> of all individuals over 50 did too!!
>
> Take the test and be surprised at what we don't know.http://games.toast.net/independence/

I got a 25. Most of my wrong answers were "history" type questions,
like "how many
presidents were assassinated in office?"

The only one I got wrong on constitutional rules was how long a
representative's
term is. Not bad for someone who hasn't looked at the Constitution in
more than
30 years.

Cindy Hamilton

Food Snob®

Feb 8, 2010, 9:51:15 AM2/8/10

Just curious, do you know who your Congresspaerson is, and how long
(s)he's been in office (not exactly, just ballpark)? Some have been
in office for decades.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

blake murphy

Feb 8, 2010, 12:03:21 PM2/8/10
On 08 Feb 2010 06:38:43 GMT, Wim van Bemmel wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:00:54 +0000, Hoges in WA wrote:
>
>> "FERRANTE" <manthony...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I got 23 out of 30, so I don't feel too bad, but I am slightly
>>> embarrassed by the ones I missed.
>>>
>>> How well will you do?
>>> Mark
>

> 21. I failed all questions about amendments. And that Texan president.

tee-hee. you have to remember that ranchin' george bush is in reality a
new england boy.

your pal,
blake

Message has been deleted

sf

Feb 8, 2010, 1:17:44 PM2/8/10
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:03:21 -0500, blake murphy
<blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

> tee-hee. you have to remember that ranchin' george bush is in reality a
> new england boy.

I thought that was one of those "didn't everyone know that by this
time" type trivia.

Message has been deleted

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 8, 2010, 1:32:02 PM2/8/10

John Dingell. I think he was elected to Congress when Washington
was President.

Ok, the real ballpark figure is decades. More than three of them.

Ah. I checked Wikipedia after I made that guess, and it's more
than five decades. (Five is more than three, so I'm ok there.)

Cindy Hamilton

sf

Feb 8, 2010, 3:48:36 PM2/8/10
On 08 Feb 2010 18:27:51 GMT, Wim van Bemmel <w...@france.invalid>
wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:17:44 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:03:21 -0500, blake murphy
> > <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >

> >> tee-hee. you have to remember that ranchin' george bush is in reality
> >> a new england boy.
> >
> > I thought that was one of those "didn't everyone know that by this time"
> > type trivia.
>

> Maybe for USA citizens, but I am European. Dutch, living in France...

You don't read rfc enough. I saw it here first. :)

Food Snob®

Feb 8, 2010, 3:53:11 PM2/8/10
On Feb 8, 11:03 am, blake murphy <blakepmNOTT...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 08 Feb 2010 06:38:43 GMT, Wim van Bemmel wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:00:54 +0000, Hoges in WA wrote:
>
> >> "FERRANTE" <manthonyferra...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > 21. I failed all questions about amendments. And that Texan president.
>
> tee-hee.  you have to remember that ranchin' george bush is in reality a
> new england boy.

Born with a silver spoon in his mouth. It would be nice if we could
add, "and died with a duct taped gerbil up his ass."

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan

blake murphy

Feb 9, 2010, 3:43:37 PM2/9/10
On 08 Feb 2010 18:27:51 GMT, Wim van Bemmel wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:17:44 -0800, sf wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:03:21 -0500, blake murphy
>> <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> tee-hee. you have to remember that ranchin' george bush is in reality
>>> a new england boy.
>>
>> I thought that was one of those "didn't everyone know that by this time"
>> type trivia.
>

> Maybe for USA citizens, but I am European. Dutch, living in France...

you still did better than many american citizens would.

your pal,
blake

Dan Abel

Feb 10, 2010, 2:57:57 PM2/10/10
In article
<6e659bfd-5fd6-4666...@s12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
Kalmia <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote:

> 25. I blew it on the amendment stuff.
>
> I can't believe anyone would miss on a couple of those, like number of
> states and current Prez and Veep.

Anyone?

> Isn't history a public school subject any longer? Heck, we started in
> the 4th grade and it was repeated yearly with additional info.

OK, so how many provinces and districts are in Mozambique? Who are the
President and Prime Minister?

Perhaps some people on this group studied the geography and government
of the country that they were born, raised and educated in, rather than
the US?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

PeterL1

Feb 10, 2010, 3:30:56 PM2/10/10
Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote in news:dabel-1FD457.11575710022010@c-61-
68-245-199.per.connect.net.au:

> In article
> <6e659bfd-5fd6-4666...@s12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
> Kalmia <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>
>> 25. I blew it on the amendment stuff.
>>
>> I can't believe anyone would miss on a couple of those, like number of
>> states and current Prez and Veep.
>
> Anyone?
>
>> Isn't history a public school subject any longer? Heck, we started in
>> the 4th grade and it was repeated yearly with additional info.
>
> OK, so how many provinces and districts are in Mozambique?

10 Provinces, and 224 Districts...... but the districts are changing all
the time, so there could be more...

> Who are the
> President

Armando Guebuza

> and Prime Minister?

Luisa Diogo

> Perhaps some people on this group studied the geography and government
> of the country that they were born, raised and educated in, rather than
> the US?

Here in Oz, we actually study a whole raft of other countries as well.

Primary School was mainly Australian History. Studying other countries
started in High School. (Probably along the lines of 'know thine
enemy' ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrites.

-- Albert Einstein --

sf

Feb 10, 2010, 6:38:02 PM2/10/10
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:57:57 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

> Perhaps some people on this group studied the geography and government
> of the country that they were born, raised and educated in, rather than
> the US?

Perhaps the "test" wasn't formulated for them.

ImStillMags

Feb 10, 2010, 7:05:59 PM2/10/10
On Feb 5, 8:29 pm, FERRANTE <manthonyferra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I got 23 out of 30, so I don't feel too bad, but I am slightly
> embarrassed by the ones I missed.
>
> How well will you do?
> Mark
> (From the web)
>
> Okay you 'red-blooded Americans'.. let's see how you do on this test
> 24 out of 30 is considered a passing grade. Supposedly 96% of all High
> School Seniors FAILED this test... AND if that's not bad enough, 50+%
> of all individuals over 50 did too!!
>
> Take the test and be surprised at what we don't know.http://games.toast.net/independence/

26.......can't believe I missed what I did.

pure kona

Feb 10, 2010, 7:47:48 PM2/10/10
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:57:57 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

Thanks Dan. (Who would like a test on Hawaiian History:>) Or...Name
our 8 major islands:).

An air of knowing-it-all reigns here at times. I think it is the
diversity of the group that is interesting- at least to me (although I
was fascinated by the number of posters who began in 1994 and got
needled for that interest.)

We did have Hawaiian History until 8th grade I think, where we began
learning about the American Government. Lincoln and Washington were
spoken of but not to the exclusion nor the superiority of our own King
Kamehameha and others.

Just a diverse group. Thank goodness.

aloha,
Cea

--Bryan

Feb 10, 2010, 8:44:00 PM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 6:47 pm, pure kona <k...@smithfarms.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:57:57 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
> >In article
> ><6e659bfd-5fd6-4666-82b8-e378acf37...@s12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,

> > Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>
> >> 25.   I blew it on the amendment stuff.
>
> >> I can't believe anyone would miss on a couple of those, like number of
> >> states and current Prez and Veep.
>
> >Anyone?
>
> >> Isn't history a public school subject any longer?  Heck, we started in
> >> the 4th grade and it was repeated yearly with additional info.
>
> >OK, so how many provinces and districts are in Mozambique?  Who are the
> >President and Prime Minister?
>
> >Perhaps some people on this group studied the geography and government
> >of the country that they were born, raised and educated in, rather than
> >the US?
>
> Thanks Dan. (Who would like a test on Hawaiian History:>)  Or...Name
> our 8 major islands:).
>
> An air of knowing-it-all reigns here at times.  I think it is the
> diversity of the group that is interesting- at least to me (although I
> was fascinated by the number of posters who began in 1994 and got
> needled for that interest.)
>
> We did have Hawaiian History until 8th grade I think, where we began
> learning about the American Government.  Lincoln and Washington were
> spoken of but not to the exclusion nor the superiority of our own King
> Kamehameha and others.
>
> Just a diverse group.  Thank goodness.

I tried, then looked on Wikipedia. I had gotten Hawaii, Oahu, Maui,
Kauii, and Molokai, though not all spelled right. I don't think we
ever learned more than that in school. I also knew that Hawaii was
the biggest and Oahu the most populous, and that Honolulu is the
capital, and it is on Ohau. I also knew that Kona is on Hawaii, and
is famous for both coffee and marijuana, and that Maui is also reputed
to grow great weed. That's not too bad.

> aloha,
> Cea

--Bryan

Becca

Feb 10, 2010, 8:53:21 PM2/10/10
pure kona wrote:
> We did have Hawaiian History until 8th grade I think, where we began
> learning about the American Government. Lincoln and Washington were
> spoken of but not to the exclusion nor the superiority of our own King
> Kamehameha and others.

In Louisiana, we had to study Louisiana history, but we were not
required to study Texas history in Texas. Have I mentioned this
already? See, I am turning into my Aunt Ruby. Ratz.

Becca

pure kona

Feb 10, 2010, 8:52:29 PM2/10/10
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:44:00 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <clas...@brick.net>
wrote:

>On Feb 10, 6:47�pm, pure kona <k...@smithfarms.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:57:57 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

)snippage...�

>> We did have Hawaiian History until 8th grade I think, where we began
>> learning about the American Government. �Lincoln and Washington were
>> spoken of but not to the exclusion nor the superiority of our own King
>> Kamehameha and others.
>>
>> Just a diverse group. �Thank goodness.
>
>I tried, then looked on Wikipedia. I had gotten Hawaii, Oahu, Maui,
>Kauii, and Molokai, though not all spelled right. I don't think we
>ever learned more than that in school. I also knew that Hawaii was
>the biggest and Oahu the most populous, and that Honolulu is the
>capital, and it is on Ohau. I also knew that Kona is on Hawaii, and
>is famous for both coffee and marijuana, and that Maui is also reputed
>to grow great weed. That's not too bad.
>>
>> aloha,
>> Cea
>
>--Bryan

Great! We also count the smaller islands of Lanai-(the pineapple
island but alas, no pineapples there now) and Niihau which is
privately owned and Kahoolawe which used to be an island the military
used for bombing practices in years gone by. The term is always the
"8 major islands" because we do have lesser ones too.

You could pass the Hawaii test:).

aloha,
Cea

--Bryan

Feb 10, 2010, 9:00:38 PM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 7:52 pm, pure kona <k...@smithfarms.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:44:00 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <class...@brick.net>

I had at least heard of the other two, but had never heard of Niihau.
I would have spelled the one, Kalaui. I used to be a geography nerd.
My boss recently asked me if I could locate all the countries in
Central America on a map. I could easily remember them all but
couldn't locate a few of them correctly.

> aloha,
> Cea

--Bryan

gloria.p

Feb 10, 2010, 9:47:58 PM2/10/10
pure kona wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:44:00 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <clas...@brick.net>

> We also count the smaller islands of Lanai-(the pineapple
> island but alas, no pineapples there now) and Niihau which is
> privately owned

That's where the tiny shells come from that make those stunning necklaces.

http://www.niihaushell-leis.com/

gloria p

PeterL1

Feb 10, 2010, 10:28:53 PM2/10/10
"gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in news:hkvr54$b9f$1...@news.eternal-
september.org:

Wow!!!

Stunning is the word!!

The price tags justify the time and intensity needed to make them.

blake murphy

Feb 11, 2010, 12:23:29 PM2/11/10

that seems odd. i thought the schools in texas were big on texas history -
the republic of texas and all that. what calendar years and what years of
school, if it's not too rude to ask?

your pal,
blake

sf

Feb 11, 2010, 4:42:13 PM2/11/10

Maybe Texas and LA do it in the same year and that's why she missed
it. California history is taught in 4th grade. I don't know if
that's a national model or not. I know I missed a history class that
most college track students took in high school because I attended
three different high schools in two states and each one offered it to
a grade I wasn't in at the time I was there.

Goomba

Feb 11, 2010, 6:59:21 PM2/11/10
blake murphy wrote:

> that seems odd. i thought the schools in texas were big on texas history -
> the republic of texas and all that. what calendar years and what years of
> school, if it's not too rude to ask?
>
> your pal,
> blake

7th grade when I took Texas history.

Becca

Feb 12, 2010, 6:37:33 PM2/12/10
Goomba wrote:
> 7th grade when I took Texas history.

Maybe that is why I missed it, I was in Louisiana in the 7th grade.

Becca