Cheapest dozen eggs in your area?

Kalmia

May 28, 2011, 8:15:35 PM5/28/11
I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
places.

Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
pound. Is this possible?

Storrmmee

May 28, 2011, 8:21:38 PM5/28/11
yes both are i rarely buy eggs unles they are below a dollar a dozen, often
aldi has them and many of the stores in springfield do as a promo... the
turkey is on sale at kroger and meijer for that price, and even comes in
"flavors", Lee

"Kalmia" <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote in message

Christine Dabney

May 28, 2011, 8:33:05 PM5/28/11

If you shop places like Grocery Outlet, yes. And if you watch for
sales, yes.

I keep track of items in the various grocery circulars in whatever
area I am in at the time. I have seen instances when eggs were sold
as a special like that.

One has to look around. I must admit I am finding it difficult where
I am now, as Santa Barbara seems to not have any discount places and
mostly upscale stores..and regular supermarkets that rarely have
decent specials.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Mr. Bill

May 28, 2011, 8:43:09 PM5/28/11
On Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:15:35 PM UTC-4, Kalmia wrote:
> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah?

If I told you that eggs were 49 cent a dozen...would you move to Albania?

I doubt it...but we choose what we buy and what we need to cut back on.

Best to you and family!

Message has been deleted

critters & me in azusa, ca

May 28, 2011, 9:04:16 PM5/28/11

I review the flyers every week. Sometimes the hispanic type markets
have eggs on sale at a decent price; however, this week it hasn't
happened. I saw eggs at TJ's at $1.49/ldz and bought 2-18 paks at
Sam's at $3.98. As far as the major markets, Ralph's, Albertson's,
Vons/Pavillions, unless there is a "cookin' holiday" coming up the
prices are outrageous.

Harriet & critters in cool Azusa

ItsJoanNotJoann

May 28, 2011, 9:14:51 PM5/28/11

Last week Kroger had them $1.19 per dozen of grade A large but I
already had 10 dozen in the 'fridge so I didn't buy any.

Mr. Bill

May 28, 2011, 9:19:05 PM5/28/11
On Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:14:51 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

> already had 10 dozen in the 'fridge so I didn't buy any.

ONE HUNDRED TWENTY eggs? That was a joke...right?

Mr. Bill

May 28, 2011, 9:22:55 PM5/28/11
On Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:14:51 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

> Last week Kroger had them $1.19 per dozen of grade A large but I
> already had 10 dozen in the 'fridge so I didn't buy any.

I am sure you didn't ..BUT I don't believe my Subzero has the room
to accommodate all my regular refrigerator items...PLUS 120 eggs! How
do you make that work?

Stu

May 28, 2011, 9:25:01 PM5/28/11
On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:15:35 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia <tween...@mypacks.net>
wrote:

>I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar

Picked up three dozen yesterday for 69 cents a dozen.

--

Stu

Recipe of the week "Spring Rolls"
http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html
So much more than just a recipe website

graham

May 28, 2011, 9:26:06 PM5/28/11

"Kalmia" <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote in message
>I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents.

Always remember: "You get what you pay for!!!!!"

atec77

May 28, 2011, 9:49:09 PM5/28/11
Fresh from the local farm eggs $4.00 /30

spamtrap1888

May 28, 2011, 10:14:51 PM5/28/11
On May 28, 6:03 pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:15:35 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia wrote:
> > I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> > grocery bill.  One item was eggs----99 cents.  Oh yeah?  I'd like to
> > know where the writer lived.  I must be shopping in all the wrong
> > places.
>
> I pay $1.19 for Grade A large (highest grade is AA).

That's how much Olivera's eggs sell for, under various house brands,
and pretend brands like "Ranch Eggs" at PW Super RIP.

Under Prop 2, egg prices should go up 25% to cover the cost of
additional square footage per chicken.

ItsJoanNotJoann

May 28, 2011, 10:15:53 PM5/28/11

They're easily stacked in the 'fridge as well as in the crisper. It
doesn't hurt to have a 25 c.f. refrigerator with freezer on top
either. NO eggs in the door!

sf

May 28, 2011, 10:31:23 PM5/28/11
On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:14:51 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Under Prop 2, egg prices should go up 25% to cover the cost of
> additional square footage per chicken.

I think it unlikely to rise that much - but if it does happen, we can
afford it. What's more likely is eggs won't be used as a loss leader
as much as they usually are.

Landon

May 28, 2011, 11:36:42 PM5/28/11
<tween...@mypacks.net> wrote:

>I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
>grocery bill.

I remember my Dad *ranting* about having to spend $80 for a months
food to feed a dozen mouths. He was so upset about "outrageous" costs
of food! Of course, that was 45 years ago.

Now, you can spend $20 for one small bag of produce. Yikes!

Ed Pawlowski

May 29, 2011, 12:30:26 AM5/29/11

"Mr. Bill" <bb0...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:14:51 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
>
>> already had 10 dozen in the 'fridge so I didn't buy any.
>
> ONE HUNDRED TWENTY eggs? That was a joke...right?

Why? We've had 180 at times. Especially when holiday baking is coming up.

Message has been deleted

Ed Pawlowski

May 29, 2011, 12:32:13 AM5/29/11

"Kalmia" <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote

Store bought $1.25 to about $1.79 for large. From the farm, $2.

Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

May 29, 2011, 5:23:01 AM5/29/11

"Kalmia" <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote in message

Around Easter you could get them for that cheap but maybe only a dozen at a
time. I paid $1.59 the last time I bought eggs. The last time I got eggs,
they were free. I had a coupon. I currently have two coupons where if I
buy a dozen eggs I get free produce.

Julie Bove

May 29, 2011, 5:25:30 AM5/29/11

"Mr. Bill" <bb0...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:14:51 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
>
>> already had 10 dozen in the 'fridge so I didn't buy any.
>
> ONE HUNDRED TWENTY eggs? That was a joke...right?

Perhaps he does Pysanka for a living?

George

May 29, 2011, 8:28:15 AM5/29/11

The large local family owned market where we buy most of our stuff only
sells extra large. Just bought some for $1.39/doz yesterday. Often they
are $0.99

Denise in NH

May 29, 2011, 8:36:47 AM5/29/11

I just paid $1 a dozen for large eggs at the local "Dollar Tree".
They don't all have freezer/refrigerators, but those that do have some
decent deals.

Denise in NH

Bryan

May 29, 2011, 8:46:41 AM5/29/11
On May 28, 8:03 pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:15:35 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia wrote:
> > I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> > grocery bill.  One item was eggs----99 cents.  Oh yeah?  I'd like to
> > know where the writer lived.  I must be shopping in all the wrong
> > places.
>
> I pay $1.19 for Grade A large (highest grade is AA).

Here, at Aldi they fluctuate between $.79 and $1.19, but are usually
99 cents. For basted/over medium eggs I like to buy jumbos. Any way
you go, eggs are a bargain.

> > Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> > pound.  Is this possible?
>

> Frozen chub rolls.  Contains skin and mechanically separated turkey
> with bone chips.  It's pretty gross stuff - like pink toothpaste with
> the texture of dog food once cooked.  i thought it was "Mr Turkey" but
> I don't see that brand on the web.

I used to eat that crap back in the old days when I smoked and had a
sense of taste as bad as Andy's. Ick. I can hardly tolerate even
high quality ground turkey.

> -sw

--Bryan

Bryan

May 29, 2011, 8:52:32 AM5/29/11
On May 28, 8:26 pm, "graham" <g.ste...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> "Kalmia" <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote in message

Not true. Yesterday I made a large purchase, and by doing lots of
shopping around, I got an extraordinary deal.
You must be an "old wife" with the way you rely on old adages.

--Bryan

fratermus

May 28, 2011, 11:40:18 AM5/28/11
On 05/29/2011 08:15 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar

> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
> know where the writer lived.

It is not uncommon to see eggs on sale for 99c in the Dallas area. Now
I have hens in the back yard who provide me with 3-4 eggs/day.

> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> pound. Is this possible?

The last turkey I bought was 99c/lb. I bought 10# and froze it in .5
lb portions.

--
frater mus
http://www.mousetrap.net/mouse/

Brooklyn1

May 29, 2011, 9:25:35 AM5/29/11
On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:43:09 -0700 (PDT), "Mr. Bill"
<bb0...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:15:35 PM UTC-4, Kalmia wrote:
>> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
>> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah?
>
>If I told you that eggs were 49 cent a dozen...would you move to Albania?

Small eggs go on sale here often for 99˘/2doz. Two dozen small eggs
equal 1 dozen jumbo. Small eggs are usually the best buy, just have
to crack more eggs.

Message has been deleted

sf

May 29, 2011, 9:51:39 AM5/29/11

It takes me months to use that many eggs. Of course, I buy extra
large - not small eggs.

sf

May 29, 2011, 9:52:43 AM5/29/11

Yeah and time is money!

Message has been deleted

Ross@home

May 29, 2011, 10:53:08 AM5/29/11
<tween...@mypacks.net> wrote:

>I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar

>grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to

>know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
>places.

Regular supermarket price Grade A large, from $1.99 to $2.49/doz.
This week's FreshCo flyer $1.44/doz., save 91˘
Organic, free range, jumbo eggs at the farm, $3.50/doz.

Southern Ontario, Canada.

notbob

May 29, 2011, 11:06:38 AM5/29/11
On 2011-05-29, l, not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> A burger, fries and a Coke were well under a buck at Burger Chef (now
> Hardee's) and McDonalds.

That McDs abomination was jes that. A meat patty on a plain soggy bun
with equal micro-patches of mustard and ketchup. The fries were good
and the drink is still the same sugar water.

If yer a geezer (>60), you can get a Whopper Jr with free small soda
....gotta ask fer senior discount.... fer a mere $1.07 incl tx. A
Whopper Jr has meat, real onion, real tomato, and real lettuce. Best
burger bargain I know of, if you don't mind the mild indigestion
(condiment?).

nb

sf

May 29, 2011, 11:39:19 AM5/29/11

I count myself lucky if groceries are $10 a bag.

sf

May 29, 2011, 11:42:03 AM5/29/11
On 29 May 2011 15:06:38 GMT, notbob <not...@notbob.invalid> wrote:

> If yer a geezer (>60), you can get a Whopper Jr with free small soda
> ....gotta ask fer senior discount.... fer a mere $1.07 incl tx.

Senior discount at BK??? Woo Hoo! I'll ask about that one next time.

> Whopper Jr has meat, real onion, real tomato, and real lettuce. Best
> burger bargain I know of, if you don't mind the mild indigestion
> (condiment?).

Indigestion is still a foreign concept to me and I hope my stomach
never gets that sensitive.

Dan Goodman

May 29, 2011, 12:04:55 PM5/29/11
Bryan wrote:

Payment isn't always in money. Sometimes it's in time spent
investigating.

--
Dan Goodman
dsgood at lj, dw, ij, tw__ fb: see above

sf

May 29, 2011, 12:16:16 PM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 10:53:08 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

> Organic, free range, jumbo eggs at the farm, $3.50/doz.

Are they AA? I have yet to find a higher quality than grade A in
jumbo.

Message has been deleted

Storrmmee

May 29, 2011, 3:08:20 PM5/29/11
are you looking at on line circulars? makes it take a bit less time, they
also generally have a store locator, so there might be a hidden discounter
near you good luck, Lee
"Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:15:35 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>
>>I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
>>grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
>>know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
>>places.
>>
>>Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
>>pound. Is this possible?
>
> If you shop places like Grocery Outlet, yes. And if you watch for
> sales, yes.
>
> I keep track of items in the various grocery circulars in whatever
> area I am in at the time. I have seen instances when eggs were sold
> as a special like that.
>
> One has to look around. I must admit I am finding it difficult where
> I am now, as Santa Barbara seems to not have any discount places and
> mostly upscale stores..and regular supermarkets that rarely have
> decent specials.
>
> Christine
> --
> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Storrmmee

May 29, 2011, 3:14:09 PM5/29/11
some othe ground turkey is OK and if you are putting it in chili or meatloaf
its workable... but as a patty or taco it sucks and i still smoke... i would
really hate to be on a desert island, with no cigs and a case of that stuff
to eat, lol, Lee
"Bryan" <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Storrmmee

May 29, 2011, 3:23:21 PM5/29/11
this is something we really agree on... on woot in the last couple of days
they had aexerciser that was listed for 279.00 df has been looking for a new
item so she googled this when she saw it... the next best for the same modle
was 340.00 and next was over five hundred... so it certainly pays to shop
around and be aware... and shopping for bargians on stuff you are already
going to get certainly beats reading a romance novel or watching a stupid tv
show.

Lee
"Bryan" <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Storrmmee

May 29, 2011, 3:29:12 PM5/29/11
man is my sister getting ripped, she sells hers for 1.25 but she only wants
to make nenough to pay for the chickens, feed and upkeep... allowing her and
my parents to have free eggs, Lee
"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net> wrote in message

Storrmmee

May 29, 2011, 3:30:09 PM5/29/11
now those are reasonable coupons, where did you get them, Lee
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message

Landon

May 29, 2011, 3:37:58 PM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 13:48:39 GMT, "l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

>On 28-May-2011, Landon <lan...@noreply.com> wrote:
>
>> I remember my Dad *ranting* about having to spend $80 for a months
>> food to feed a dozen mouths. He was so upset about "outrageous" costs
>> of food! Of course, that was 45 years ago.
>

>A burger, fries and a Coke were well under a buck at Burger Chef (now

>Hardee's) and McDonalds. We were happy and satiated with that 1/6th pound
>burger (2 if you were extraordinarily hungry), small fries (today's
>equvalent) and drink.
>
>A buck would buy a bagfull of White Castles.
>
>I was in heaven when my monthly salary rose from $300 to $310.
>
>Ahhhh, the good ole days. 8-)

Ha! The old days were....the old days.....

When I joined the Military in 1971, my pay was $113 per/month. At the
time, I considered that a HUGE amount of money.

I never ate at any "quick food" place at all until I was in my 20s.
Until then, I'd never even been inside any hamburger joint. My first
impression when I did was that I didn't know what that stuff was, but
it wasn't what I called a hamburger. Nasty stuff. I still think so.

I eat at high-end restaurants. I've found that with food, you pretty
much get what you pay for. Not always, but mostly. I consider most
hamburger joint places nothing more than dog food servers. I mean,
look at the neat photo of a Big Mac and then compare it to the
squished, always off-center, nasty, thin piece of crap you get with a
micro portion of lettuce, (again always off-center) and micro-thin
piece of tomato, (again off-center) that you're served. When my kid
was a teen, he talked me into eating at a couple of those foul places.
It was like eating dog food on paste. Disgusting stuff.

At least at Chinese take out places, they use real meats and veggies.
It's priced at pretty stupid costs when compared to making the same
dish at home in your spare 10 minutes, but it's WAY better than one of
the dog food places like McDoggie or Doggiebuger King. haha

I fed a McDoggie Burger to my dog once. After gulping it down, the
first thing he did was try to get the taste back out of his mouth by
licking his butt.

I can't believe that on this site of great cooks, any of you would eat
that trash food. Please, tell me you're kidding.

Ross@home

May 29, 2011, 4:50:08 PM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 09:16:16 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 May 2011 10:53:08 -0400, Ross@home wrote:
>
>> Organic, free range, jumbo eggs at the farm, $3.50/doz.
>
>Are they AA? I have yet to find a higher quality than grade A in
>jumbo.

We don't have a grade AA in Canada. Grade A is the highest.
Grades B and C are only sold for commercial baking or for further
processing into foods such as mayonnaise, noodles, or baked goods.
But, the ones I mentioned are ungraded.
Ungraded eggs may only be sold to an egg dealer or egg-grading
station, except for those sold by producers directly to consumers at
the farm gate, which is where I buy them.
I referred to them as jumbo because I weigh each dozen and the average
is over 70 grams per egg.

Ross.

Ross@home

May 29, 2011, 4:56:41 PM5/29/11
On 29 May 2011 15:06:38 GMT, notbob <not...@notbob.invalid> wrote:

>On 2011-05-29, l, not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:
>
>> A burger, fries and a Coke were well under a buck at Burger Chef (now
>> Hardee's) and McDonalds.
>
>That McDs abomination was jes that. A meat patty on a plain soggy bun
>with equal micro-patches of mustard and ketchup. The fries were good
>and the drink is still the same sugar water.
>
>If yer a geezer (>60), you can get a Whopper Jr with free small soda
>....gotta ask fer senior discount.... fer a mere $1.07 incl tx. A
>Whopper Jr has meat, real onion, real tomato, and real lettuce.

All previously assembled, wrapped in paper, sitting in a tray, then
heated to order in the microwave. Yummy.

Ross.

Julie Bove

May 29, 2011, 5:03:33 PM5/29/11

"Storrmmee" <rgr...@consolidated.net> wrote in message

> now those are reasonable coupons, where did you get them, Lee

Ebay. Got several for meat and Dole salad too. Yes, I paid a few bucks for
them, but I will get more than that back when I redeem them.

Message has been deleted

graham

May 29, 2011, 6:03:56 PM5/29/11

"Bryan" <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote in message

-----------------
And you must be, as the French put it most charmingly, un enculé.

Storrmmee

May 29, 2011, 6:09:07 PM5/29/11
if it works for you thats all that matters,

My brother habitually buys one of those resturant books with coupons... at
the time he started it had great deals in several places he likes... its a
nationwide book of some sort, but his twenty five got several hundreds in
savings at places they were already going to eat at anyway,

Lee
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message

Landon

May 29, 2011, 6:34:14 PM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 21:28:18 GMT, "l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

>On 29-May-2011, Landon <lan...@noreply.com> wrote:
>
>> I can't believe that on this site of great cooks, any of you would eat
>> that trash food. Please, tell me you're kidding.
>

>First, this is not a site, it is a newsgroup; if you want a site, visit
>foodbanter.com.
>
>Second, the subject of the message you responded to was about 40 years ago,
>not the present; after the canned (in 1953) crap the US Army fed me in
>Vietnam, Burger Chef as a real treat.

What are you, the grammar police? If I wish to refer to this place as
a "site" then I'll do so. If it bothers you, put me in your killfile
or avoid my posts. Your choice to attempt to correct me is laughable.

If you think that crap they serve at doggiebugerking is a treat, then
you have no taste buds and wouldn't know good food if it snuck up on
you and bit you in the ass.

I've eaten lots of Army chow. It served it's purpose. It kept me from
being hungry. For the time and place, it was the least of your
worries.

Doggiebugerking is of the same level as Army chow. In fact, I ate LOTS
of Army chow that was light years above that crap in doggieburgerking
or any other burger joint serves. Navy chow was awesome! Probably the
best cafeteria type food I've eaten in my life was either in a Navy
chow hall or one with the Air Force. Of the three, Army chow was the
worst, but never as nasty as that crap in burger joints. Dog food.
That's all that crap is, and not even a very smart dog would eat it
twice without starvation knocking.

Did you come on this SITE today in a bad mood? That's not a rare
occurrence on this SITE. It's a SITE where that happens every day. If
you like FoodBanter so much that it pops into your head all the time,
why don't YOU leave this SITE and go to that group?

Messing with me just won't get you the response you're after unless
you're after being laughed at. I'm not impressed at your wit. I could
care less what you think *I* should call things or places.

Well, that was kinda fun...got anything else to say You, not You?

crack me up!

gloria.p

May 29, 2011, 6:38:15 PM5/29/11
On 5/29/2011 10:21 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article
> <e9ea3be6-affc-4846...@x10g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,

> Kalmia<tween...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>
>> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
>> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
>> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
>> places.
>>
>> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
>> pound. Is this possible?
>
> They'll occasionally go on special for 89 cents a dozen but the last
> dozen I bought was $1.79 for USDA Grade AA large.

$2.19 last week for a dozen jumbo at King Soopers (Kroger). Something
like $1.89 the week before for 1 1/2 dozen large at Costco.

gloria p

Landon

May 29, 2011, 6:41:38 PM5/29/11

And what cracks me up is that the dimwits working there cannot get one
piece of anything on the doggieburger to be ON the bread. The roadkill
is half off the bread, the one 4" x 4" piece of soggy lettuce is half
off the bread, the limp, paper thin slice of tomato is half off the
bread, even the condiments are half off the bread. Every time.

I think they give an IQ test to work in one of those nasty places and
if you score over 50, they won't hire you.

Christine Dabney

May 29, 2011, 6:51:17 PM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 14:08:20 -0500, "Storrmmee"
<rgr...@consolidated.net> wrote:

>are you looking at on line circulars? makes it take a bit less time, they
>also generally have a store locator, so there might be a hidden discounter
>near you good luck, Lee

Yes, I do online circulars. I look them up for all the grocery stores
for whatever town I am in. Then keep tabs on them when they update
them. So I usually know what is on sale somewhere in town.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Storrmmee

May 29, 2011, 6:58:41 PM5/29/11
good for you, keeping on that stuff allows saving and also if you are going
to a particular reason other than groceries, it allows one to save the gas
and get what you know you want without using extra gas and time to get
there,

Lee, who salutes you

"Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Christine Dabney

May 29, 2011, 7:35:58 PM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 17:58:41 -0500, "Storrmmee"
<rgr...@consolidated.net> wrote:

>good for you, keeping on that stuff allows saving and also if you are going
>to a particular reason other than groceries, it allows one to save the gas
>and get what you know you want without using extra gas and time to get
>there,
>
>Lee, who salutes you

Thanks.
Since gas is so expensive out here, I kind of combine trips into one.
Do all my errands at the same time, and do sort of a circular route.
That way, I can hit up places where they have specials that I want.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

ItsJoanNotJoann

May 29, 2011, 7:53:02 PM5/29/11
On May 29, 6:35 pm, Christine Dabney <artis...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Since gas is so expensive out here, I kind of combine trips into one.
> Do all my errands at the same time, and do sort of a circular route.
> That way, I can hit up places where they have specials that I want.
>
> Christine

Me too!

Storrmmee

May 29, 2011, 7:55:17 PM5/29/11
we have always done this to some degree or another, now with gas so high, we
flat keep a running list of errands, and groceries, when the list is big
enough or we need an item or to get an errand done bad enough the dh plans a
route and conserves as much gas as possible, its never a lot but i figure
any i am saving means it reduces the demand, which in my fantasy world i not
only save some pennies, if enough people did it then demand would slow and
prices would go down, i can't say i won't buy it i have to get to work, Lee

"Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

David Harmon

May 29, 2011, 8:25:35 PM5/29/11
On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:26:06 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, "graham"
<g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote,

>"Kalmia" <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote in message

>>I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
>> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents.
>
>Always remember: "You get what you pay for!!!!!"

The motto of overcharging venders everywhere.

Message has been deleted

Bryan

May 29, 2011, 11:54:07 PM5/29/11
On May 29, 5:03 pm, "graham" <g.ste...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> "Bryan" <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

How faux-sophisticated of you to use a French expletive (which I had
to Google). Many economic interactions are parimutuel, and the more
savvy consumers have the advantage. That is so trivial compared to
the advantage that professional investors have over common folks,
which would horribly distort income distribution even under a taxation
regime such as existed during the Eisenhower presidency. My smart
shopper practices do so little to depress the buying power and wealth
of my fellow working class Americans as to be almost negligible.
Want to argue with me? You'll lose, or should I say, I think that the
likelihood that you'd lose is very probable? More likely, you didn't
even really understand what I was talking about.
I am amazed by the range of skills that this one guy I know who has
done some work for me has, but we all have our special areas of
expertise. Mine appears to be--other than the maintenance of
resilient flooring--political economy.

I maintain that, "You get what you pay for!!!!!'," is not the way
things work, and I challenge you to argue otherwise. Will you be the
first person to convince me that I'm wrong about the failings of pure
market ideology? I double dog dare you.

--Bryan

Cheryl

May 30, 2011, 1:18:38 PM5/30/11
On 5/28/2011 8:15 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
> places.
>
> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> pound. Is this possible?

Not sure about in the area in general for cost of a dozen eggs, but the
store I shop in actually has EB eggs cheaper at the moment than store
brand, at 2.50 per dozen. I don't eat many eggs.

blake murphy

May 30, 2011, 1:24:19 PM5/30/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 18:34:14 -0400, Landon wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2011 21:28:18 GMT, "l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:
>

>>On 29-May-2011, Landon <lan...@noreply.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I can't believe that on this site of great cooks, any of you would eat
>>> that trash food. Please, tell me you're kidding.
>>
>>First, this is not a site, it is a newsgroup; if you want a site, visit
>>foodbanter.com.
>>

> What are you, the grammar police? If I wish to refer to this place as

> a "site" then I'll do so. If it bothers you, put me in your killfile
> or avoid my posts. Your choice to attempt to correct me is laughable.

it just makes you look stupid, which i'm guessing is not a new experience
for you. it also has nothing to do with 'grammar.'

blake

Kswck

Jun 9, 2011, 4:47:40 PM6/9/11

"Kalmia" <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote in message

>I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
> places.
>
> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> pound. Is this possible?

Today-at a local store-eggs 99 cents per dozen

Catmandy (Sheryl)

Jun 10, 2011, 9:55:23 PM6/10/11

Free.

The Targets near me just brought in fresh produce and meats. I'm
trying to figure out what they got rid off to gain the considerable
floor space devoted to their expanded grocery department. But
nevertheless, they sent out a coupon to all Target card holders for a
free dozen eggs at the new and improved Target Grocery department.

Lucille

Jun 10, 2011, 11:05:53 PM6/10/11
On May 29, 5:23 am, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
> "Kalmia" <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote in message

> >I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> > grocery bill.  One item was eggs----99 cents.  Oh yeah?  I'd like to
> > know where the writer lived.  I must be shopping in all the wrong
> > places.
>
> > Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> > pound.  Is this possible?
>
> Around Easter you could get them for that cheap but maybe only a dozen at a
> time.  I paid $1.59 the last time I bought eggs.  The last time I got eggs,
> they were free.  I had a coupon.  I currently have two coupons where if I
> buy a dozen eggs I get free produce.

I pay $2.00 a dozen when I get them from my girlfriend's daughter's
farm.
They are fresh picked that same day. I get them when her hens are
laying.
There's a big difference between store bought eggs and fresh farm
eggs.
The yolks are really dark yellow and taste better then store bought.

Lucille

mike95910

Jun 21, 2011, 10:50:32 AM6/21/11

Kalmia;1619926 Wrote:
> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
> places.
>
> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> pound. Is this possible?

Eggs always cost 99cents thats just how it goes.

--
mike95910

alup...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2015, 7:32:58 PM12/7/15
On Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 5:15:35 PM UTC-7, Kalmia wrote:
> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
> places.
>
> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> pound. Is this possible?

i pay $20.99 for 60ct in arrowhead farms

graham

Dec 7, 2015, 9:39:04 PM12/7/15
On 07/12/2015 7:17 PM, l not -l wrote:
> I paid 99 cents for a dozen grade a large on Friday - St. Louis suburbs.

Is that the regular price or was it a loss leader?
There's no way that even the biggest "farms" could produce them to
retail at that price.

Nancy2

Dec 7, 2015, 10:41:05 PM12/7/15
Graham! Did you not notice the posts except yours were FOUR YEARS OLD????

N.

graham

Dec 7, 2015, 11:37:19 PM12/7/15
On 07/12/2015 8:41 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Graham! Did you not notice the posts except yours were FOUR YEARS OLD????
>
> N.

Damn!!!!! Actually the one I answered was today's. I didn't notice the
older one.

Ophelia

Dec 8, 2015, 3:14:42 AM12/8/15

"graham" <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
Does it really matter so long as the subject is of interest?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

col...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2015, 8:13:21 AM12/8/15
Jumbo eggs are 2.99/doz here.

Nancy2

Dec 8, 2015, 8:15:57 AM12/8/15
High prices are likely due to the bird flu, or that would be the excuse given.

N.

Dave Smith

Dec 8, 2015, 9:19:33 AM12/8/15
On 2015-12-08 8:15 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> High prices are likely due to the bird flu, or that would be the excuse given.

There always seems to be some reason for high prices and a reason to
keep them high. For a while it was the cost of fuel and the high cost
of feed because so much grain was being used to produce bio fuels. Bird
flu would have a drastic effect on supply, driving prices up. Give the
farms a few days for a thorough cleaning, the hatcheries would turn out
a new crop of birds in three weeks and then give them 5-6 months to
start producing.

jmcquown

Dec 8, 2015, 11:29:26 AM12/8/15
On 12/7/2015 9:17 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 7-Dec-2015, alup...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I paid 99 cents for a dozen grade a large on Friday - St. Louis suburbs.

alupinu81 was replying to a 4 year old post. Google Groups strikes
again! $20.99 for 60 eggs... why anyone needs 60 eggs in one fell swoop
is beyond my ken. :)

Jill

jmcquown

Dec 8, 2015, 11:32:36 AM12/8/15
Even so, I just bought a dozen grade A large eggs for $2.50. Adjusting
for inflation that sounds about right.

Jill

spamtr...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2015, 12:06:10 PM12/8/15
On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 12:14:42 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> "graham" <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > On 07/12/2015 8:41 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> >> Graham! Did you not notice the posts except yours were FOUR YEARS
> >> OLD????
> >>
> >> N.
> >>
> > Damn!!!!! Actually the one I answered was today's. I didn't notice the
> > older one.
>
> Does it really matter so long as the subject is of interest?

True, unless the poster wants to open a dialog with someone who no
longer posts, like Christine, or someone who would have to post
from the Great Beyond, like blake.
The price of eggs is of perennial interest -- in my area Eggland's
Best (large) is over $4 a dozen.

Ophelia

Dec 8, 2015, 12:29:05 PM12/8/15

<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Indeed:) Anyway if an old topic is posted and someone is interested enough
to join in a discussion about it, I don't think it is so bad. But, I guess
that is just me:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 8, 2015, 12:50:12 PM12/8/15
Five dozen eggs? Suppose you had a family of 6 people,
and used a dozen a day? Sixty eggs wouldn't even last a week.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Dec 8, 2015, 1:08:49 PM12/8/15
Yes, I guess we could suppose that. The poster didn't say. It is
anyone's guess if we ever hear from this poster again, much less find
out about the reason for 60 eggs. This person popped up from Google
Groups, replying to a four year old thread about egg prices. <shrug>

Jill

cshenk

Dec 8, 2015, 1:24:25 PM12/8/15
l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> I paid 99 cents for a dozen grade a large on Friday - St. Louis
> suburbs.

1.29 for an 18 pack on thursday.

cshenk

Dec 8, 2015, 1:30:38 PM12/8/15
spamtr...@gmail.com wrote in rec.food.cooking:
WOW! Those are the cheaper ones here. We might be closer to where
they produce them though. There's a huge area of Virginia Beach and
Suffolk where they have chickens.

cshenk

Dec 8, 2015, 1:35:37 PM12/8/15
Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
I have a friend up in Ithaca NY area with an extended family of 14. At
one egg a day per person she'd not make 5 days on that amount. In
fact, she'd make 4 days with not enough left over for eggwashes for
breading and so on.

Carol

graham

Dec 8, 2015, 1:51:09 PM12/8/15
That *must* be below the cost of production.

jmcquown

Dec 8, 2015, 6:44:36 PM12/8/15
On 12/8/2015 1:35 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> Five dozen eggs? Suppose you had a family of 6 people,
>> and used a dozen a day? Sixty eggs wouldn't even last a week.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>
> I have a friend up in Ithaca NY area with an extended family of 14. At
> one egg a day per person she'd not make 5 days on that amount. In
> fact, she'd make 4 days with not enough left over for eggwashes for
> breading and so on.
>
> Carol

Whatever. The OP never mentioned an extended family. In fact they
never mentioned any family or anything at all. Just that they bought 60
eggs from a specific dairy for $20.99.

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 8, 2015, 6:52:22 PM12/8/15
On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 12:08:49 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> It is
> anyone's guess if we ever hear from this poster again, much less find
> out about the reason for 60 eggs. This person popped up from Google
> Groups, replying to a four year old thread about egg prices. <shrug>
>
> Jill

Using the name s/he posted with shows this is
their only post.

jmcquown

Dec 8, 2015, 7:50:06 PM12/8/15
That was rather my point, joan. :)

Jill

gloria p

Dec 8, 2015, 7:55:26 PM12/8/15
On 12/8/2015 6:13 AM, col...@gmail.com wrote:
> Jumbo eggs are 2.99/doz here.

$3.49 in suburban Denver.

gp

Brooklyn1

Dec 8, 2015, 9:14:40 PM12/8/15
gloria p wrote:
>coltwvu wrote:
>> Jumbo eggs are 2.99/doz here.
>
>$3.49 in suburban Denver.

$1.79 for 18 large here in upstate NY... peewees 49¢/doz. I buy the
peewees anytime they're 49¢/doz or less... sometimes they're 39¢/doz.
There are several huge egg farms in the northern Catskills... and I'd
say about 1/3 of the people who live here raise chickens for eggs... a
new family just bought a house down the road and I already saw that
they have a chicken cook, there were two chickens on their front
steps. Somehow chickens know to stay out of the road... all those
jokes about why do chicken cross the road are nonsense, chickens don't
cross roads... my neighor directly across the road raises chickens,
they walk all over his front yard right up to the road on his side but
I've never seen any cross over to this side. Now I can't say the same
about dumb guinea hens, they are run over all the time.

Nunya Bidnits

Dec 8, 2015, 9:48:00 PM12/8/15

"Nancy2" wrote in message

>Graham! Did you not notice the posts except yours were FOUR
>YEARS OLD????

Oh noes!

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 8, 2015, 11:07:12 PM12/8/15
On 12/8/2015 1:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> alupinu81 was replying to a 4 year old post. Google Groups strikes
>>> again! $20.99 for 60 eggs... why anyone needs 60 eggs in one fell swoop
>>> is beyond my ken. :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Five dozen eggs? Suppose you had a family of 6 people,
>> and used a dozen a day? Sixty eggs wouldn't even last a week.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
> Yes, I guess we could suppose that. The poster didn't say. It is
> anyone's guess if we ever hear from this poster again, much less find
> out about the reason for 60 eggs. This person popped up from Google
> Groups, replying to a four year old thread about egg prices. <shrug>
>
> Jill

I'll be buying a 5 dozen box tomorrow. Pizzelles take a lot of eggs and
we make a lot of them for Christmas.

When the kids were home we'd buy the 5 doz. packs too. On average I eat
about 6 eggs a week.

Cheri

Dec 9, 2015, 1:35:52 AM12/9/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Indeed:) Anyway if an old topic is posted and someone is interested
> enough to join in a discussion about it, I don't think it is so bad. But,
> I guess that is just me:)

No, it's me too. :-) Hope you're feeling much better.

Cheri

Ophelia

Dec 9, 2015, 5:05:47 AM12/9/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
I am starting to pick up now, thank you:) I am feeling more tired than ill
now and yesterday I did a bunch of cooking. That made me feel better:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Nancy2

Dec 9, 2015, 8:25:41 AM12/9/15
$1.99 for a dozen extra large, here in egg country.

N.

cshenk

Dec 9, 2015, 6:37:11 PM12/9/15
jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Ok, and there is a problem with that? Me, I assume a larger number
means more to feed.

Carol

cshenk

Dec 9, 2015, 6:38:28 PM12/9/15
graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> That must be below the cost of production.

Possibly but a really common sale. I suspect local growers combining
with stores to reduce transport to make it happen.

col...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2015, 7:46:18 PM12/9/15
I think egglands best eggs taste odd. Large eggs are 2.99/doz here too.

Cheri

Dec 10, 2015, 1:48:11 AM12/10/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Glad to hear it. :-)