Vegetable to go with pasta?

FERRANTE

Nov 5, 2008, 9:08:01 AM11/5/08
Tonight we are going to have Chicken Marsala and I would like to have
a vegetable to go with it. I have no idea of which one would
compliment such a dish. I would appreciate any suggestions you can
offer.

Thanks,
Mark

James Silverton

Nov 5, 2008, 9:24:19 AM11/5/08

I would like mild tasting green vegetables like French beans, Lima beans
or possibly small peas with that. I also like asparagus with plain lemon
and a sprinkling of parmesan (but I like asparagus with practically
everything!)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

cybercat

Nov 5, 2008, 9:49:14 AM11/5/08

"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.not> wrote in message

> FERRANTE wrote on Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:08:01 -0500:
>
>> Tonight we are going to have Chicken Marsala and I would like
>> to have a vegetable to go with it. I have no idea of which one
>> would compliment such a dish. I would appreciate any
>> suggestions you can offer.
>

> I would like mild tasting green vegetables like French beans, Lima beans
> or possibly small peas with that. I also like asparagus with plain lemon
> and a sprinkling of parmesan (but I like asparagus with practically
> everything!)
> --

I vote for asparagus, too. By the way, James, though I prefer it fresh,
there is a new "steamer bag" of mixed vegetables that has nice chunks of
asparagus in it, I used it for stir fry last night. I forget the brand, but
it has some yellow squash, french green beans and bits of pepper, too.
Pretty good.

James Silverton

Nov 5, 2008, 10:26:05 AM11/5/08
cybercat wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:49:14 -0500:

> "James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.not> wrote in
> message news:n0iQk.3056$Jv2....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
>> FERRANTE wrote on Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:08:01 -0500:
>>
>>> Tonight we are going to have Chicken Marsala and I would
>>> like to have a vegetable to go with it. I have no idea of
>>> which one would compliment such a dish. I would appreciate
>>> any suggestions you can offer.
>>
>> I would like mild tasting green vegetables like French beans,
>> Lima beans or possibly small peas with that. I also like
>> asparagus with plain lemon and a sprinkling of parmesan (but I like
>> asparagus with practically everything!) --

I vote for asparagus, too. By the way, James, though I prefer it fresh,
there is a new "steamer bag" of mixed vegetables that has nice chunks of
asparagus in it, I used it for stir fry last night. I forget the brand,
but
it has some yellow squash, french green beans and bits of pepper, too.
Pretty good.

Thanks, that sounds interesting and I'll have to look for it unless it
includes broccoli :-)

cybercat

Nov 5, 2008, 10:41:11 AM11/5/08

"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.not> wrote:

> Thanks, that sounds interesting and I'll have to look for it unless it
> includes broccoli :-)

Nope, no broc. I had to add my own. ;)

MaryL

Nov 5, 2008, 11:23:03 AM11/5/08

"cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I have been using some of the "steamer bags" of veggies. I usually use
fresh veggies, but these steamer bags are as close to fresh as I have seen.
There are a large variety of veggies available that way, and most are
"plain" veggies without seasoning (those are the ones I buy). They are
expensive, but I get several meals out of one bag because I am only cooking
for one. I have both Birds Eye and Steam Select brands in the freezer. I
have grown especially fond of shelled edamame (soybeans) from Steam Select,
and that is something that I never see in the fresh produce.

MaryL

Paul M. Cook

Nov 5, 2008, 11:51:30 AM11/5/08

"FERRANTE" <manthony...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'd make a nice antipasto salad, quick and easy. I like lettuce, cherry
tomatoes, artichoke hearts, black olives, pepproncini, fresh mozzarella
balls (ovellini), salami and parmesan. A balsamic vinaigrette is the best
dressing.

Paul

MaryL

Nov 5, 2008, 12:52:50 PM11/5/08

"Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote in message

Sounds great -- good tasting *and* healthy (as long as the high-fat items
are limited). What a nice combo!

MaryL

Dimitri

Nov 5, 2008, 12:51:36 PM11/5/08

"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.not> wrote in message

Grilled Zucchini, Red Onion & Japanese eggplant. lightly dressed with
balsamic.

To hold the onion slices together insert a toothpick or a trussing needle.

Dimitri

Goomba

Nov 5, 2008, 2:02:29 PM11/5/08
I disagree. I think that would be a bit overpowering in flavors and
compete with the marsala. I'd let that be the shining star and have
simple, elegant veggies to go with it. Haricot vertes perhaps?

Paul M. Cook

Nov 5, 2008, 2:22:38 PM11/5/08

"Goomba" <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote in message

We did it 2 years ago for mother's day. Big hit. I just went real easy on
the dressing. I like a touch of dressing, I cannot stand it swimming in it.

Paul

James Silverton

Nov 5, 2008, 4:48:59 PM11/5/08

I saw the asparagus mixture today, made by BirdsEye. There are a number
of other blends some of which do include broccoli. I haven't tried any
of them yet.

cybercat

Nov 5, 2008, 4:57:42 PM11/5/08

"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.not> wrote

> I saw the asparagus mixture today, made by BirdsEye. There are a number of
> other blends some of which do include broccoli. I haven't tried any of
> them yet.

The BirdsEye one has a pretty fresh flavor. I think it's a little expensive
for the amount you get, but it's worth it to have what I like on hand.

Lynn from Fargo

Nov 5, 2008, 5:26:44 PM11/5/08
On Nov 5, 3:57 pm, "cybercat" <cyberpu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silver...@verizon.not> wrote

Fresh sugar snap peas sauteed lightly in evoo or butter with julienne
of sweet red bell pepper
Lynn in Fargo

cybercat

Nov 5, 2008, 5:40:52 PM11/5/08

"Lynn from Fargo" <lynn...@i29.net> wrote :

>Fresh sugar snap peas sauteed lightly in evoo or butter with julienne
>of sweet red bell pepper

I love sugar snaps. Wish my husband did.

Gregory Morrow

Nov 5, 2008, 6:17:04 PM11/5/08

cybercat wrote:

Aren't you trying to off yer husband by feeding him high cholesterol foods,
cyberpussie...???

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking