Things to eat while your wife is gone

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 13, 2010, 8:54:19 PM7/13/10
DW's on vacation with the grandkids at a mud hole, I mean lake, sixty
miles from here with other family. I'm home alone for this week. First,
I had Taco Bell. *We* don't eat Taco Bell. Second, I had wieners and
polish sausage in sauerkraut with apples and celery seed. *We* don't
much care for that. Third and for the first time in fifteen years, I
made curried beef with mushrooms over rice. It's great but could have
used another tablespoon of curry powder. *We* don't like the taste or
smell of that monstrosity. I might even have some lamb chops this week
or quite hot Mexican food. I'd eat finnan haddie if I could find it. The
possibilities are endless, but I'm running out of time.

leo

Goomba

Jul 13, 2010, 9:15:16 PM7/13/10

LOL, my husband went through the same "burden" just this past week while
I was gone.
Apparently he pigged out on his beloved scrapple, eggs out the whazoo,
fish and all the things *I* don't do. He also seems to have eaten a few
Klondike Bars as I found two in the freezer but it might be naive of me
to assume that they were leftover from just one box, lol.
As for what he *didn't eat... well..he didn't bother to eat the
meatballs and sauce I left for him in the freezer, or all the fresh
produce needing to be consumed before it goes bad.
Enjoy your time off, Leonard. *We* love curry!

brooklyn1

Jul 13, 2010, 9:17:32 PM7/13/10

WTF do you keep saying *we* when it's just you???

When yer batching it first thing is to get a case of brewskis, then a
wartymelon... then stop at a deli for cold cuts and a few good breads.
Have the phone numbers of all the take outs handy too. No cooking.

Mark Thorson

Jul 13, 2010, 9:24:23 PM7/13/10

Sounds like menudo time.

Felice

Jul 13, 2010, 9:29:56 PM7/13/10

"Leonard Blaisdell" <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

What a wonderful food week you're having! Why don't you suggest that DW and
the grands stay another week?

Felice

Kalmia

Jul 13, 2010, 9:30:09 PM7/13/10
On Jul 13, 8:54 pm, Leonard Blaisdell <leoblaisd...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Make a huge lasagna - then, just heat and eat.

Jul 13, 2010, 9:45:54 PM7/13/10
LOL. My late mother would often have liver when we went out to eat
because *we* (my late brother and I) did not like the smell of it
cooking, or the taste. Since her passing 20-odd years ago, I have
grown to enjoy many things I did not eat then, but still avoid liver.

Terry

Jul 13, 2010, 9:57:51 PM7/13/10
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:54:19 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Green beans and potatoes with ham (or sausage). Wife AND kids think
it stinks---literally. When they're gone I make a crockpot full and
have it for lunch and dinner til it's gone.
--
Best -- Terry

Goomba

Jul 13, 2010, 10:04:08 PM7/13/10

My mother also loved liver and would order it out when available. Often
it would be fois gras if available. It gave her her liver fix.
Interesting for the time, she questioned the practice of eating liver
for health felt that ill people probably shouldn't be eating liver as it
is "filter" and might be exposing them to concentrated levels of toxins.
I've never tried liver and hope I never do.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 13, 2010, 10:05:37 PM7/13/10
In article <i1j3ur$dnq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Felice" <fri...@comcast.net> wrote:

> What a wonderful food week you're having! Why don't you suggest that DW and
> the grands stay another week?

Food ain't everything. I am appreciating this week though. Rest assured
that they are too.

leo

Food Snob®

Jul 13, 2010, 10:08:31 PM7/13/10
On Jul 13, 8:15 pm, Goomba <Goomb...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> > DW's on vacation with the grandkids at a mud hole, I mean lake, sixty
> > miles from here with other family. I'm home alone for this week. First,
> > I had Taco Bell. *We* don't eat Taco Bell. Second, I had wieners and
> > polish sausage in sauerkraut with apples and celery seed. *We* don't
> > much care for that. Third and for the first time in fifteen years, I
> > made curried beef with mushrooms over rice. It's great but could have
> > used another tablespoon of curry powder. *We* don't like the taste or
> > smell of that monstrosity.

Ew, double-ew and ew again.

> > leo
>
> LOL, my husband went through the same "burden" just this past week while
> I was gone.
> Apparently he pigged out on his beloved scrapple, eggs out the whazoo,
> fish and all the things *I* don't do. He also seems to have eaten a few
> Klondike Bars as I found two in the freezer but it might be naive of me
> to assume that they were leftover from just one box, lol.

Mmmm. Klondike bars. We bought some of those Edy's Dibs. Not quite
as good as Klondikes.

--Bryan

Food Snob®

Jul 13, 2010, 10:11:11 PM7/13/10
On Jul 13, 8:57 pm, Terry <prfes...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:54:19 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
>
> <leoblaisd...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >DW's on vacation with the grandkids at a mud hole, I mean lake, sixty
> >miles from here with other family. I'm home alone for this week. First,
> >I had Taco Bell. *We* don't eat Taco Bell. Second, I had wieners and
> >polish sausage in sauerkraut with apples and celery seed. *We* don't
> >much care for that. Third and for the first time in fifteen years, I
> >made curried beef with mushrooms over rice. It's great but could have
> >used another tablespoon of curry powder. *We* don't like the taste or
> >smell of that monstrosity. I might even have some lamb chops this week
> >or quite hot Mexican food. I'd eat finnan haddie if I could find it. The
> >possibilities are endless, but I'm running out of time.
>
> >leo
>
> Green beans and potatoes with ham (or sausage).  Wife AND kids think
> it stinks---literally.

I feel that way about great northern beans. Smelling them makes me
physically ill.
> --
> Best -- Terry

--Bryan

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 13, 2010, 10:20:14 PM7/13/10
In article <mi3q361ceulf382o8...@4ax.com>,
brooklyn1 <grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

> When yer batching it first thing is to get a case of brewskis, then a
> wartymelon... then stop at a deli for cold cuts and a few good breads.
> Have the phone numbers of all the take outs handy too. No cooking.

A big ten-four on all of that. It's just that my curry is my curry. I
don't think I could buy it anywhere. It's less than special but I like
it. The brewskis were financed early.

leo

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Jul 13, 2010, 10:45:39 PM7/13/10
In article <ga6q365jdrd0oprer...@4ax.com>,
Terry <prfe...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Green beans and potatoes with ham (or sausage). Wife AND kids think
> it stinks---literally. When they're gone I make a crockpot full and
> have it for lunch and dinner til it's gone.

That sounds really good, actually. I may do something like that
soon. Thank you for the idea!

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Dave Smith

Jul 13, 2010, 10:48:27 PM7/13/10

I am not a fan of liver but my wife loves it. If we go to a restaurant
that has liver and bacon or liver and onion on the menu she gets it.

Dave Smith

Jul 13, 2010, 10:50:25 PM7/13/10
Goomba wrote:

> My mother also loved liver and would order it out when available. Often
> it would be fois gras if available. It gave her her liver fix.
> Interesting for the time, she questioned the practice of eating liver
> for health felt that ill people probably shouldn't be eating liver as it
> is "filter" and might be exposing them to concentrated levels of toxins.
> I've never tried liver and hope I never do.

While not a fan of it, I have had it a few times that it was actually
quite good. It's more of a texture thing. As unlikely as I am to have
fried liver, I have liverwurst or liver pate almost every day.

Dave Smith

Jul 13, 2010, 10:53:36 PM7/13/10
Goomba wrote:

> LOL, my husband went through the same "burden" just this past week while
> I was gone.
> Apparently he pigged out on his beloved scrapple, eggs out the whazoo,
> fish and all the things *I* don't do. He also seems to have eaten a few
> Klondike Bars as I found two in the freezer but it might be naive of me
> to assume that they were leftover from just one box, lol.
> As for what he *didn't eat... well..he didn't bother to eat the
> meatballs and sauce I left for him in the freezer, or all the fresh
> produce needing to be consumed before it goes bad.
> Enjoy your time off, Leonard. *We* love curry!

I went through it last week when my wife went up to spend a few days at
her sister's place. I was scheduled for two evenings of my volunteer
gig, but it was cancelled due to the heat. It was too hot to cook. I
resorted to frozen burgers on the gas grill on night, broiled cheese and
bacon one night. I missed my wings and beer after our Wednesday night
sessions so I went to the bar for them on my own.

zxcvbob

Jul 13, 2010, 10:59:07 PM7/13/10

Grilled blue cheese sandwich? (we don't like the smell of blue cheese)
How about sardines in mustard sauce? (we don't like that either) You
already had curry; good for you. :-)

Bob

Message has been deleted

projectile vomit chick

Jul 13, 2010, 11:36:09 PM7/13/10
On Jul 13, 7:54 pm, Leonard Blaisdell <leoblaisd...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Good grief, but the farts must be ghastly......please air out the
house before she gets home <g>

Lew Hodgett

Jul 13, 2010, 11:38:27 PM7/13/10

"Terry" wrote:

> Green beans and potatoes with ham (or sausage). Wife AND kids think
> it stinks---literally. When they're gone I make a crockpot full and
> have it for lunch and dinner til it's gone.

--------------------------------------
Amen bro, but don't forget the onions.

Lew

PL

Jul 14, 2010, 12:21:54 AM7/14/10
Leonard Blaisdell <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:leoblaisdell-
2B1D9A.175...@News.Individual.NET:

LOL!! Enjoy your 'dirty week' :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

PL

Jul 14, 2010, 12:25:08 AM7/14/10
Kalmia <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote in news:1a31a794-35b5-4f8b-afa6-
1c4216...@q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

*No way*!!! Then he'd have to have the same thing, day in, day out!!

He should make it his mission to find that smoked haddock, and try losts of
other things that "we" don't eat, while he's looking.

spamtrap1888

Jul 14, 2010, 12:29:29 AM7/14/10

To prevent that horrible liver smell and taste cook no longer than
you have to. I just sear both sides. Calves liver is milder than beef;
lamb's liver is also mild. Buy a tub of chicken livers and go to town.

spamtrap1888

Jul 14, 2010, 12:30:55 AM7/14/10
On Jul 13, 8:36 pm, projectile vomit chick

Ancient family tradition is to sprinkle caraway seeds on your kraut
before you cook it.

atec77

Jul 14, 2010, 6:02:31 AM7/14/10
Couldn't agree less
alone cooking is eggs and beef for breakfast
meat for lunch and for a change at the evening meal some veggies with
the meat
with apple pie and Greek yoghurt for desert
for day add variations of meat and eggs :)

atec77

Jul 14, 2010, 6:04:41 AM7/14/10
I never got this we thing
of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
simple

Nancy Young

Jul 14, 2010, 7:02:57 AM7/14/10
atec77 wrote:

> I never got this we thing
> of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
> simple

It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things
in the house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just
courtesy, what's more important, eating liver or being
nice to the other people you live with?

nancy

Bob Terwilliger

Jul 14, 2010, 7:27:04 AM7/14/10
Nancy wrote:

Well, "atec77" is an idiot, of course, but there is another side to the coin
(turning it into a die, I guess): What about *tolerance* for that smell
because you want the other person to be happy? As long as it's not a
frequent thing, it should be allowable.

Moreover, there are some things which smell horrible prior to cooking or
during the cooking process (I'm thinking of raw chicken and toasting dried
shrimp paste), but which are mouth-watering in their finished state. Do you
give those things up altogether because of the transient smell?

Bob

Nancy Young

Jul 14, 2010, 8:08:17 AM7/14/10
Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Nancy wrote:
>
>>> I never got this we thing
>>> of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
>>> simple
>>
>> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things in the
>> house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just courtesy, what's
>> more important, eating liver or being
>> nice to the other people you live with?
>
> Well, "atec77" is an idiot, of course, but there is another side to
> the coin (turning it into a die, I guess): What about *tolerance* for
> that smell because you want the other person to be happy? As long as
> it's not a frequent thing, it should be allowable.

Oh, no. It's all about *me* being happy. (laughing) I get
what you're saying, and if you were talking about me, specifically,
I'd tell you that it just isn't that important to him to cook liver. It's
a pretty short list, no liver and curry?, don't even go there.

But everyone navigates their own little concessions, I don't get
everything I want, either, because he hates something or he
*really* doesn't want to have the bathroom re-renovated.

> Moreover, there are some things which smell horrible prior to cooking
> or during the cooking process (I'm thinking of raw chicken

Hmm. I don't notice raw chicken smelling bad. Except if you
microwave it, I guess there's another don't in my world. We're
up to three.

> and
> toasting dried shrimp paste), but which are mouth-watering in their
> finished state. Do you give those things up altogether because of the
> transient smell?

If there was something like the shrimp paste thing, and it's actually
that important, I would get a burner he could use outside. I'm
serious, I would find some way around it. I suppose I could go out
of town for a week and he could have a liver/shrimp paste fest. Heh.

nancy

Bob Terwilliger

Jul 14, 2010, 9:10:07 AM7/14/10
Nancy wrote:

>> toasting dried shrimp paste), but which are mouth-watering in their
>> finished state. Do you give those things up altogether because of the
>> transient smell?
>
> If there was something like the shrimp paste thing, and it's actually
> that important, I would get a burner he could use outside. I'm
> serious, I would find some way around it. I suppose I could go out
> of town for a week and he could have a liver/shrimp paste fest. Heh.

Shrimp paste is only important if you want Indonesian, Malaysian, or Thai
food. Thing is, both Lin and I *like* all those cuisines.[1] If you don't
care much for them, or not enough to cook them at home, then it's a
non-issue.

It's things like this which make me wish for a prep kitchen in the garage.
Just a big deep sink with a spray attachment, a garbage bin, and a counter
about five feet long.

Hey, how about if your husband GRILLED liver? Would he be allowed?

Bob
[1] We don't like them as much as Nasty does! Guy pitches a tent over a bowl
of soup? FREAK!

Lou Decruss

Jul 14, 2010, 9:35:36 AM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:10:07 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

>Hey, how about if your husband GRILLED liver? Would he be allowed?

That or frying it on the side burner of the grill. I love liver and
on the rare occasion Louise is gone I make it. She doesn't have a big
problem with the smell but won't eat it. So it's not that I can't
make it but I'd rather cook something we both can enjoy.

Lou

ChattyCathy

Jul 14, 2010, 9:46:20 AM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 04:27:04 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Nancy wrote:
>
>>> I never got this we thing
>>> of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
>>> simple
>>
>> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things in the house
>> that I think stink to high heaven. It's just courtesy, what's more
>> important, eating liver or being
>> nice to the other people you live with?
>
> Well, "atec77" is an idiot, of course, but there is another side to the
> coin (turning it into a die, I guess): What about *tolerance* for that
> smell because you want the other person to be happy? As long as it's not
> a frequent thing, it should be allowable.

Agreed. Heh. I even ate some tofu the other day because Jack likes it (and
I even helped him prep and cook the meal). Granted, it doesn't 'stink'
when cooking (well, not that I've noticed) but it's not something I like
much, or would make for myself. And I've put up with the smell of my Dad's
"special cabbage" cooking for decades <grin>.

> Moreover, there are some things which smell horrible prior to cooking or
> during the cooking process (I'm thinking of raw chicken and toasting
> dried shrimp paste), but which are mouth-watering in their finished
> state. Do you give those things up altogether because of the transient
> smell?

I'm with you on the dried shrimp paste - smells pretty putrid "as is" but
a little bit of it often "makes" a dish. Don't know what you mean about
raw chicken tho'- I've never noticed that it smells horrible (unless it
was 'off'). And a lot of people tell me that they don't like the smell of
lamb/mutton when it's cooking (and often won't even eat it because of
that) - but I've found the opposite - the aroma of a roast leg of lamb in
the oven (or some lamb chops on the grill) smell really good to me. Same
goes for beef liver. IMHO, it's all very much in the "nose" of the
beholder.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Nancy Young

Jul 14, 2010, 9:56:25 AM7/14/10
Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Nancy wrote:

>> If there was something like the shrimp paste thing, and it's actually
>> that important, I would get a burner he could use outside. I'm
>> serious, I would find some way around it. I suppose I could go out
>> of town for a week and he could have a liver/shrimp paste fest. Heh.
>
> Shrimp paste is only important if you want Indonesian, Malaysian, or
> Thai food. Thing is, both Lin and I *like* all those cuisines.[1] If
> you don't care much for them, or not enough to cook them at home,
> then it's a non-issue.

The whole subject is; I guess I sound like some kind of monster,
dictating what goes on around here. I was just saying why the OP
might not cook certain things while his wife is home. There is no
discord about the liver cooking thing here.

> It's things like this which make me wish for a prep kitchen in the
> garage. Just a big deep sink with a spray attachment, a garbage bin,
> and a counter about five feet long.

That would be fantastic. If I lived in a hot climate, I could see
having an outdoor kitchen. I'd have a deep fryer out there, too.

> Hey, how about if your husband GRILLED liver? Would he be allowed?

Allowed is a strong word, but if he wanted to, go right ahead.
Move the grill away from the house or close the windows.

I saw some show where someone likes to cook chilis (I don't
remember the details, it was a big once a year type of thing)
and the family actually had to leave the house because they'd
be coughing and choking from the fumes. Maybe it's just me,
I think Can't you get a burner and do that outside?

That's how I feel about liver. Don't make me queasy in my own
house, if you don't mind.

nancy

Lou Decruss

Jul 14, 2010, 10:04:30 AM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:56:25 -0400, "Nancy Young"
<rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Nancy wrote:
>
>>> If there was something like the shrimp paste thing, and it's actually
>>> that important, I would get a burner he could use outside. I'm
>>> serious, I would find some way around it. I suppose I could go out
>>> of town for a week and he could have a liver/shrimp paste fest. Heh.
>>
>> Shrimp paste is only important if you want Indonesian, Malaysian, or
>> Thai food. Thing is, both Lin and I *like* all those cuisines.[1] If
>> you don't care much for them, or not enough to cook them at home,
>> then it's a non-issue.
>
>The whole subject is; I guess I sound like some kind of monster,
>dictating what goes on around here. I was just saying why the OP
>might not cook certain things while his wife is home. There is no
>discord about the liver cooking thing here.
>
>> It's things like this which make me wish for a prep kitchen in the
>> garage. Just a big deep sink with a spray attachment, a garbage bin,
>> and a counter about five feet long.
>
>That would be fantastic. If I lived in a hot climate, I could see
>having an outdoor kitchen. I'd have a deep fryer out there, too.

I deep fry outside on the turkey fryer. If I'm just doing something
little I'll do it inside but not very often.

>> Hey, how about if your husband GRILLED liver? Would he be allowed?
>
>Allowed is a strong word, but if he wanted to, go right ahead.
>Move the grill away from the house or close the windows.
>
>I saw some show where someone likes to cook chilis (I don't
>remember the details, it was a big once a year type of thing)
>and the family actually had to leave the house because they'd
>be coughing and choking from the fumes. Maybe it's just me,
>I think Can't you get a burner and do that outside?

Again a turkey fryer or the sideburner on a gas grill.

Lou

Dave Smith

Jul 14, 2010, 10:12:27 AM7/14/10

I don't dislike the smell and taste of liver. It's the texture I have
trouble with. I eat liverwurst almost every day. My experiences with
fried liver have not been great.

Felice

Jul 14, 2010, 10:13:35 AM7/14/10

"Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Being nice to the other people! My husband would just about barf at the
smell of lamb cooking, so I had it when he was away.THAT'S simple!

Felice

PL

Jul 14, 2010, 10:21:48 AM7/14/10
"Felice" <fri...@comcast.net> wrote in

Ahhhhh, another non-lamb/sheep aficionado..... :-)

Good to see I'm not the only one ;-)

Nancy Young

Jul 14, 2010, 10:21:58 AM7/14/10
Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:56:25 -0400, "Nancy Young"

>> That would be fantastic. If I lived in a hot climate, I could see

>> having an outdoor kitchen. I'd have a deep fryer out there, too.
>
> I deep fry outside on the turkey fryer. If I'm just doing something
> little I'll do it inside but not very often.

You know, I love fried chicken, fried pepper rings, pretty much
anything fried. It does leave that lingering fried odor that I don't
like to do that too often. I have thought of getting a deep fryer
or a burner to make that stuff outside.

>> I saw some show where someone likes to cook chilis (I don't
>> remember the details, it was a big once a year type of thing)
>> and the family actually had to leave the house because they'd
>> be coughing and choking from the fumes. Maybe it's just me,
>> I think Can't you get a burner and do that outside?
>
> Again a turkey fryer or the sideburner on a gas grill.

Exactly, it just seems unnecessary to cause the house to be
uninihabitable. (laugh) Mind if I breath?

nancy

PL

Jul 14, 2010, 10:24:04 AM7/14/10
"Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote in news:%Mh%n.132992$sD7.129585
@hurricane:

>> Moreover, there are some things which smell horrible prior to cooking
>> or during the cooking process (I'm thinking of raw chicken
>
> Hmm. I don't notice raw chicken smelling bad. Except if you
> microwave it, I guess there's another don't in my world. We're
> up to three.

Chicken only stinks if you're too cheep to buy good chicken. Seems that may
be the Twits problem.

PL

Jul 14, 2010, 10:29:06 AM7/14/10
"Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote in news:LPg%n.217020$Yb4.66166
@hurricane:

Agreed. My SO detests the smell/taste of anchovies. I don't like the smell or
aftertaste of sheep/lamb.

I've learnt to live without anchovies on my pizza (ever), and she's learnt to
live with lamb only being served maybe 1-2 times a year. I will cook it for
her (usually in the Weber, outside), as I know she absolutely loves it.

Nancy2

Jul 14, 2010, 10:44:28 AM7/14/10
On Jul 13, 8:57 pm, Terry <prfes...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:54:19 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell

> <leoblaisd...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >DW's on vacation with the grandkids at a mud hole, I mean lake, sixty
> >miles from here with other family. I'm home alone for this week. First,
> >I had Taco Bell. *We* don't eat Taco Bell. Second, I had wieners and
> >polish sausage in sauerkraut with apples and celery seed. *We* don't
> >much care for that. Third and for the first time in fifteen years, I
> >made curried beef with mushrooms over rice. It's great but could have
> >used another tablespoon of curry powder. *We* don't like the taste or
> >smell of that monstrosity. I might even have some lamb chops this week
> >or quite hot Mexican food. I'd eat finnan haddie if I could find it. The
> >possibilities are endless, but I'm running out of time.
>
> >leo
>
> Green beans and potatoes with ham (or sausage).  Wife AND kids think
> it stinks---literally.  When they're gone I make a crockpot full and
> have it for lunch and dinner til it's gone.
> --
> Best -- Terry

When the kids were young I used to make a one-dish supper - a can of
tomato soup, not diluted, plus a can of drained green beans, mix in a
pound of quick-browned crumbled ground beef, and topped with mashed
potatoes - whole thing in the oven for 30 minutes - pretty tasty,
actually.

N.

Bob Terwilliger

Jul 14, 2010, 10:50:50 AM7/14/10
Captain Peter Swallows wrote:

> Chicken only stinks if you're too cheep to buy good chicken. Seems that
> may
> be the Twits problem.

Whereas Swallows' problem is that he takes it up the ass for money, and his
moneymaker hasn't healed from its remodeling.

Bob

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Jul 14, 2010, 11:36:35 AM7/14/10
In article <LPg%n.217020$Yb4.66166@hurricane>,
"Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

That's kind of what I was thinking. I try not to make things my
family will hate if they are going to be around. It's a matter of
showing kindness to them. Likewise, my husband doesn't make things he
knows I will hate or the children will hate when he cooks for us. If
we're on our own, or the person who hates a particular item is gone,
then it's free game.

It isn't often that one of us is gone long enough that the other can
cook something the other doesn't like, usually even if we miss a meal,
we'd be back later in the evening to eat leftovers. We also make no
comments on what the other has cooked while we're gone. The only major
comment that gets made is thank you.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Ophelia

Jul 14, 2010, 11:40:09 AM7/14/10

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In article <LPg%n.217020$Yb4.66166@hurricane>,
> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> atec77 wrote:
>>
>> > I never got this we thing
>> > of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
>> > simple
>>
>> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things
>> in the house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just
>> courtesy, what's more important, eating liver or being
>> nice to the other people you live with?
>
> That's kind of what I was thinking. I try not to make things my
> family will hate if they are going to be around. It's a matter of
> showing kindness to them. Likewise, my husband doesn't make things he
> knows I will hate or the children will hate when he cooks for us. If
> we're on our own, or the person who hates a particular item is gone,
> then it's free game.
>
> It isn't often that one of us is gone long enough that the other can
> cook something the other doesn't like, usually even if we miss a meal,
> we'd be back later in the evening to eat leftovers. We also make no
> comments on what the other has cooked while we're gone. The only major
> comment that gets made is thank you.

That is a loving and happy family:)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Jul 14, 2010, 11:47:17 AM7/14/10
In article <%Mh%n.132992$sD7.129585@hurricane>,
"Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> >> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things in the
> >> house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just courtesy, what's
> >> more important, eating liver or being
> >> nice to the other people you live with?
> >
> > Well, "atec77" is an idiot, of course, but there is another side to
> > the coin (turning it into a die, I guess): What about *tolerance* for
> > that smell because you want the other person to be happy? As long as
> > it's not a frequent thing, it should be allowable.
>
> Oh, no. It's all about *me* being happy. (laughing) I get
> what you're saying, and if you were talking about me, specifically,
> I'd tell you that it just isn't that important to him to cook liver. It's
> a pretty short list, no liver and curry?, don't even go there.

I think in most decent marriages, both give in quite a bit. Rich
really, really, really doesn't like
Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Korean/Vietnamese/etc food. However, he will
suggest it, buy it or cook it for me and the children since we do. The
flip side of that is that I don't cook it often at all, usually when I
know he won't be home and I try to eat it out when I know I will be
alone/with a friend or just with the children. I'm not a fan of most
bleu cheeses and mushrooms, but I'll buy some for Rich, I've worked to
find the kinds that I can enjoy and serve those at home, look out for
things including them that he'd like at restaurants. It doesn't have to
be a huge battle.

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Jul 14, 2010, 11:49:01 AM7/14/10
In article <r0fr36lk4pk73pema...@4ax.com>,
Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

Rich really tried to like liver for my sake. The best he could say
was that the way I cooked it was better than he'd ever had it, but the
texture and taste was still not anything he liked. He was quite
disappointed about it, as he knows how nutritious and inexpensive it is.
We use the liver we get from our butchered animals as chicken/cat food.

Bob Terwilliger

Jul 14, 2010, 11:54:30 AM7/14/10
Ranee wrote:

> I think in most decent marriages, both give in quite a bit. Rich
> really, really, really doesn't like
> Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Korean/Vietnamese/etc food. However, he will
> suggest it, buy it or cook it for me and the children since we do. The
> flip side of that is that I don't cook it often at all, usually when I
> know he won't be home and I try to eat it out when I know I will be
> alone/with a friend or just with the children. I'm not a fan of most
> bleu cheeses and mushrooms, but I'll buy some for Rich, I've worked to
> find the kinds that I can enjoy and serve those at home, look out for
> things including them that he'd like at restaurants. It doesn't have to
> be a huge battle.

I think the main thing Lin and I disagree on is our choice of sandwich
bread. She likes sourdough; I like multigrain. Reading some of the responses
in this thread, I wonder just how unusual it is to be so well-aligned.

Lucky, lucky Bob

blake murphy

Jul 14, 2010, 12:07:37 PM7/14/10
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:54:19 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> DW's on vacation with the grandkids at a mud hole, I mean lake, sixty
> miles from here with other family. I'm home alone for this week. First,
> I had Taco Bell. *We* don't eat Taco Bell. Second, I had wieners and
> polish sausage in sauerkraut with apples and celery seed. *We* don't
> much care for that. Third and for the first time in fifteen years, I
> made curried beef with mushrooms over rice. It's great but could have
> used another tablespoon of curry powder. *We* don't like the taste or
> smell of that monstrosity. I might even have some lamb chops this week
> or quite hot Mexican food. I'd eat finnan haddie if I could find it. The
> possibilities are endless, but I'm running out of time.
>
> leo

i suppose 'you' could talk to 'we' when they get back, but i guess that's a
mug's game.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 14, 2010, 12:09:10 PM7/14/10
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:53:36 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> Goomba wrote:
>
>> LOL, my husband went through the same "burden" just this past week while
>> I was gone.
>> Apparently he pigged out on his beloved scrapple, eggs out the whazoo,
>> fish and all the things *I* don't do. He also seems to have eaten a few
>> Klondike Bars as I found two in the freezer but it might be naive of me
>> to assume that they were leftover from just one box, lol.
>> As for what he *didn't eat... well..he didn't bother to eat the
>> meatballs and sauce I left for him in the freezer, or all the fresh
>> produce needing to be consumed before it goes bad.
>> Enjoy your time off, Leonard. *We* love curry!
>
> I went through it last week when my wife went up to spend a few days at
> her sister's place. I was scheduled for two evenings of my volunteer
> gig, but it was cancelled due to the heat. It was too hot to cook. I
> resorted to frozen burgers on the gas grill on night, broiled cheese and
> bacon one night. I missed my wings and beer after our Wednesday night
> sessions so I went to the bar for them on my own.

good man. it shows initiative.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 14, 2010, 12:11:04 PM7/14/10
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:59:32 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <mi3q361ceulf382o8...@4ax.com>,

> brooklyn1 <grave...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:54:19 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
>> <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>>DW's on vacation with the grandkids at a mud hole, I mean lake, sixty
>>>miles from here with other family. I'm home alone for this week. First,
>>>I had Taco Bell. *We* don't eat Taco Bell. Second, I had wieners and
>>>polish sausage in sauerkraut with apples and celery seed. *We* don't
>>>much care for that. Third and for the first time in fifteen years, I
>>>made curried beef with mushrooms over rice. It's great but could have
>>>used another tablespoon of curry powder. *We* don't like the taste or
>>>smell of that monstrosity. I might even have some lamb chops this week
>>>or quite hot Mexican food. I'd eat finnan haddie if I could find it. The
>>>possibilities are endless, but I'm running out of time.
>>

>> WTF do you keep saying *we* when it's just you???
>

> Because when it's "we," i.e., Leo and his wife, those foods never see
> the stove or table. He's on his own and he's enjoying things that his
> wife either refuses to prepare or forbids in the kitchen.

like i say, reading comprehension problems.

your pal,
blake

sf

Jul 14, 2010, 12:19:53 PM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:12:27 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I don't dislike the smell and taste of liver. It's the texture I have
> trouble with. I eat liverwurst almost every day. My experiences with
> fried liver have not been great.

Husband used to like to eat liver every now and then. I was the one
stuck making it, so I fried up bacon first to sauté the (calves) liver
and onions in and served it with a hearty portion of mashed potatoes.
I bought beef liver once by accident (ugh) and never made that mistake
again.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

sf

Jul 14, 2010, 12:21:05 PM7/14/10

A decent hood fan takes care of that problem.

Giusi

Jul 14, 2010, 12:22:49 PM7/14/10

"Felice" <fri...@comcast.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Being nice to the other people! My husband would just about barf at the
> smell of lamb cooking, so I had it when he was away.THAT'S simple!

What if he wouldn't go away? There are such men....

blake murphy

Jul 14, 2010, 12:24:33 PM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:56:25 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Nancy wrote:
>
>>> If there was something like the shrimp paste thing, and it's actually
>>> that important, I would get a burner he could use outside. I'm
>>> serious, I would find some way around it. I suppose I could go out
>>> of town for a week and he could have a liver/shrimp paste fest. Heh.
>>
>> Shrimp paste is only important if you want Indonesian, Malaysian, or
>> Thai food. Thing is, both Lin and I *like* all those cuisines.[1] If
>> you don't care much for them, or not enough to cook them at home,
>> then it's a non-issue.
>
> The whole subject is; I guess I sound like some kind of monster,
> dictating what goes on around here. I was just saying why the OP
> might not cook certain things while his wife is home. There is no
> discord about the liver cooking thing here.

guess i'll have to get married and have a family to have a vacation from
eating whatever the hell i want.

your pal,
blake

sf

Jul 14, 2010, 12:28:58 PM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 04:27:04 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Well, "atec77" is an idiot, of course, but there is another side to the coin
> (turning it into a die, I guess): What about *tolerance* for that smell
> because you want the other person to be happy? As long as it's not a
> frequent thing, it should be allowable.

There is also such a thing as doing something for someone (for
instance cooking something you dislike - in my case, it's fish) just
because you love them... a concept lost on many in rfc.

> Moreover, there are some things which smell horrible prior to cooking or

> during the cooking process (I'm thinking of raw chicken and toasting dried
> shrimp paste), but which are mouth-watering in their finished state. Do you
> give those things up altogether because of the transient smell?

No meat smells very good raw if you bury your nose in it... and dried
shrimp not only smell bad, they taste bad too.

Ophelia

Jul 14, 2010, 12:29:03 PM7/14/10

"blake murphy" <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in message

I took it that when he says 'we' he was describing what the usual way of
eating is. ie what 'she' wanted and likes, was what 'we' had.

I hope he enjoys his freedom to eat what 'he' wants to eat, it seems that
this freedom will not last long:(
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

spamtrap1888

Jul 14, 2010, 12:40:18 PM7/14/10

Back when I disliked liver (because Mom cooked it to shoe leather) I
thought maybe it was partly because it looked like it should have
muscle meat texture but it didn't.

Tracy

Jul 14, 2010, 12:57:06 PM7/14/10

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article <LPg%n.217020$Yb4.66166@hurricane>,
> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> atec77 wrote:
>>
>>> I never got this we thing
>>> of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
>>> simple
>> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things
>> in the house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just
>> courtesy, what's more important, eating liver or being
>> nice to the other people you live with?
>
> That's kind of what I was thinking. I try not to make things my
> family will hate if they are going to be around. It's a matter of
> showing kindness to them. Likewise, my husband doesn't make things he
> knows I will hate or the children will hate when he cooks for us. If
> we're on our own, or the person who hates a particular item is gone,
> then it's free game.
>
> It isn't often that one of us is gone long enough that the other can
> cook something the other doesn't like, usually even if we miss a meal,
> we'd be back later in the evening to eat leftovers. We also make no
> comments on what the other has cooked while we're gone. The only major
> comment that gets made is thank you.

That's the way it is at my house mostly. Since it's just the two of
us, we cook things we both like. However, there are many more foods
that my husband likes which I do not, such as seafood and organ
meats. I don't like to see him deprived of his favorites because of
my issues, so on days when I could easily take something out of the
freezer or make a sandwich he will cook for himself a one of those
dishes he likes. There are very few things like I like that he
doesn't so it isn't a huge problem for us.

Just a couple weeks ago he came home with a huge striped bass from a
fishing trip. He and my son were very happy to eat it. I probably
had spaghetti or something simple. I don't even like to be in the
kitchen when he is cutting fish. It wigs me out.

-Tracy

sf

Jul 14, 2010, 1:03:13 PM7/14/10

If it's Wednesday, it must be wings & beer.

Tracy

Jul 14, 2010, 1:07:57 PM7/14/10

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:12:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> I don't dislike the smell and taste of liver. It's the texture I have
>> trouble with. I eat liverwurst almost every day. My experiences with
>> fried liver have not been great.
>
> Husband used to like to eat liver every now and then. I was the one
> stuck making it, so I fried up bacon first to sauté the (calves) liver
> and onions in and served it with a hearty portion of mashed potatoes.
> I bought beef liver once by accident (ugh) and never made that mistake
> again.

That is one thing I don't do - cook something I don't like. If my
husband wants something I don't like, he cooks it himself.
Part of my problem is that I have a massive fish phobia and I don't
even like touching it, never mind cooking it. And that is the major
food item my husband loves but I don't like at all.

I have had a small breakthrough recently when I cooked some shrimp
for a friend. I actually thread the buggers on skewers! You have no
idea what a huge step that is for me.

As for liver, I don't like it much except for stuff like liverwurst
or pate.

Tracy

Bob Terwilliger

Jul 14, 2010, 1:15:05 PM7/14/10
Ophelia wrote:

> I took it that when he says 'we' he was describing what the usual way of
> eating is. ie what 'she' wanted and likes, was what 'we' had.

I interpreted "we" to mean what they BOTH want and like, which excludes
everything that "she" likes but he doesn't, as well as excluding everything
that "he" likes but "she" doesn't.

Bob

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 14, 2010, 1:54:55 PM7/14/10

wrote:
> DW's on vacation with the grandkids at a mud hole, I mean lake, sixty
> miles from here with other family. I'm home alone for this week. First,
> I had Taco Bell. *We* don't eat Taco Bell. Second, I had wieners and
> polish sausage in sauerkraut with apples and celery seed. *We* don't
> much care for that. Third and for the first time in fifteen years, I
> made curried beef with mushrooms over rice. It's great but could have
> used another tablespoon of curry powder. *We* don't like the taste or
> smell of that monstrosity. I might even have some lamb chops this week
> or quite hot Mexican food. I'd eat finnan haddie if I could find it. The
> possibilities are endless, but I'm running out of time.
>
> leo

When DH is out of town, I go one of two ways:

1. Hooray! I don't have to cook real meals. I can have scrambled
eggs
or leftover pizza or a sandwich.

2. Hooray! I can eat like a civilized person. That usually entails,
over the course of his absense:

A big salad with shrimp, avocado, fresh jalapenos, sliced green
onions, tomatoes, cucumbers on a bed of romaine with a lime
vinagrette.

Salad nicoise

Roasted/grilled vegetables

Sweet potato, sliced and baked like oven fries, then sprinkled with
powdered chipotle chile.

Sauteed mushrooms, perhaps with some leftover beef.

Edamame and zaru soba

Of the stuff I eat when he's gone, he'd only object to the sauteed
mushrooms being cooked while he's there. As for the other dishes,
there's no point making them 'cause I'd have to make something
else for him. I occasionally have these things for lunch, but
most of 'em take too much time to make on a workday.

Cindy Hamilton

Omelet

Jul 14, 2010, 2:07:27 PM7/14/10
In article <LPg%n.217020$Yb4.66166@hurricane>,
"Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> atec77 wrote:
>
> > I never got this we thing
> > of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
> > simple
>
> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things
> in the house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just
> courtesy, what's more important, eating liver or being
> nice to the other people you live with?
>

> nancy

I was discussing something similar to this with a co-worker the other
day. The dining room at work charges $.69 EACH for slices of bacon. I'm
now taking some of the pre-cooked stuff to work for breakfasts when I
want it.

I'd briefly considered purchasing one of those microwave bacon cookers
for work but decided against it. As much as _I_ love the smell of
cooking bacon, some find it offensive!

I am still considering one for home use tho' now that those microwave
egg cookers have been such a success.
--
Peace! Om

 Only Irish  coffee provides in a single glass all four  essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar  and fat. --Alex Levine

Nancy Young

Jul 14, 2010, 2:15:47 PM7/14/10
Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things
>> in the house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just
>> courtesy, what's more important, eating liver or being
>> nice to the other people you live with?
>
> That's kind of what I was thinking. I try not to make things my
> family will hate if they are going to be around.

Exactly. I wouldn't enjoy it if I knew I made it unpleasant for
someone else, anyway.

> It's a matter of
> showing kindness to them. Likewise, my husband doesn't make things he
> knows I will hate or the children will hate when he cooks for us. If
> we're on our own, or the person who hates a particular item is gone,
> then it's free game.
>
> It isn't often that one of us is gone long enough that the other can
> cook something the other doesn't like, usually even if we miss a meal,
> we'd be back later in the evening to eat leftovers. We also make no
> comments on what the other has cooked while we're gone. The only
> major comment that gets made is thank you.

Really ... you got the kids fed while I was gone? Thanks! Next.

nancy

sf

Jul 14, 2010, 2:34:16 PM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:07:57 -0400, Tracy <kara...@bc.edu> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:12:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> > <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't dislike the smell and taste of liver. It's the texture I have
> >> trouble with. I eat liverwurst almost every day. My experiences with
> >> fried liver have not been great.
> >
> > Husband used to like to eat liver every now and then. I was the one
> > stuck making it, so I fried up bacon first to sauté the (calves) liver
> > and onions in and served it with a hearty portion of mashed potatoes.
> > I bought beef liver once by accident (ugh) and never made that mistake
> > again.
> >

> That is one thing I don't do - cook something I don't like. If my
> husband wants something I don't like, he cooks it himself.
> Part of my problem is that I have a massive fish phobia and I don't
> even like touching it, never mind cooking it. And that is the major
> food item my husband loves but I don't like at all.

I don't have a problem touching fish - I can even kill and gut a live
one. I have an aversion to fish because I ate bony, bland lake fish
as a kid. Fish from the sea tastes a lot better and has more meat,
but I still am not a fish fan. If I can throw it in the oven, I'm ok
with cooking it (but not very often). If it's something like trout or
tilapia that needs to be coated and pan fried, well I won't fry... so
hubby gets the job. A couple times a year of eating fish at home is
fine by me. I'll order fish in a restaurant, no problem. But it's a
boneless hunk and I don't have to deal with anything other than eating
it.

> I have had a small breakthrough recently when I cooked some shrimp
> for a friend. I actually thread the buggers on skewers! You have no
> idea what a huge step that is for me.

Keep the shells on and let people shell their own. Did you wear
gloves? DD had an aversion to touching chicken. I don't know if it
was because of the raw chicken skin texture or her eczema, but she
wore gloves. I don't see her do it anymore because her husband
handles chicken now, she doesn't make a big deal of it and I don't
think to inquire.

> As for liver, I don't like it much except for stuff like liverwurst
> or pate.

I like liverwurst too, but not after the first day. It changes flavor
too much for me when it sits around.

Ophelia

Jul 14, 2010, 2:46:43 PM7/14/10

"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message

lol Well..... nahhhhhh or he wouldn't be craving stuff that 'we' liked eh?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Tracy

Jul 14, 2010, 2:59:07 PM7/14/10

My husband shelled them for me. I was making quick marinade, and
wanted them to have as much flavor as the short marinating time
would allow, then I broiled them. My friend was happy with them,
that's all that matters.

My phobia is more related to what fish look like than really how it
feels or tastes. Although taste is part of it, or rather texture.

When I was a kid I ate fish but I never liked looking at it. I used
to actually go fishing but I would give the rod over to someone else
to real it in. My family liked to tease me about my phobia. My
siblings would chase me with lobsters. It got so bad I just stopped
eating it all together. I was probably 8 or so. I was traumatized!

So, today, I am very slowly trying to work on my "issue" and I have
tasted some fish. Just small tiny baby bites, but to me huge.

Tracy

sf

Jul 14, 2010, 3:01:18 PM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:07:27 -0500, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'd briefly considered purchasing one of those microwave bacon cookers
> for work but decided against it. As much as _I_ love the smell of
> cooking bacon, some find it offensive!

I don't know about offensive, as to unfair tantalizing of the nose and
getting your stomach all worked up to eat something... especially when
you're on a diet.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

sf

Jul 14, 2010, 3:29:41 PM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:59:07 -0400, Tracy <kara...@bc.edu> wrote:

> So, today, I am very slowly trying to work on my "issue" and I have
> tasted some fish. Just small tiny baby bites, but to me huge.

Congratulations!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gorio

Jul 14, 2010, 1:16:37 PM7/14/10

This is why one should be alone when grating horseradish. Think it
smells strong in the jar? Holy cow!!

--
Gorio

Doug Freyburger

Jul 14, 2010, 4:08:05 PM7/14/10
Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> DW's on vacation with the grandkids ...

My wife doesn't like goat so I cook it when she's away. If she's away
longer I go looking for types of critter I have never tried or haven't
had in decades. Last time I tried alligator, yuck. I guess that's only
good fried.

I don't like moldy cheese. She doesn't like smelly cheese. So usually
the cheeses we have are the mild or sharp types. Maybe a little bit of
port-du-salut smelly cheese on 100% rye with onions.

And canned soup combined with canned something else. Sometimes fancy
goes out the window in favor of easy. ;^)

PL

Jul 14, 2010, 4:49:05 PM7/14/10
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote in news:ouor36dqdrmf2ac13...@4ax.com:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:02:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> atec77 wrote:
>>
>> > I never got this we thing
>> > of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
>> > simple
>>
>> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things
>> in the house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just
>> courtesy, what's more important, eating liver or being
>> nice to the other people you live with?
>>
> A decent hood fan takes care of that problem.

So long as it is powerful enough, and vents outside the house. Most houses
don't have an outside vent.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Jul 14, 2010, 4:59:33 PM7/14/10
In article <i1l1ds$af4$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Tracy <kara...@bc.edu> wrote:

> My phobia is more related to what fish look like than really how it
> feels or tastes. Although taste is part of it, or rather texture.

So, I suppose the large freshwater prawns we got with heads and legs
still on wouldn't appeal to you? ;-)

I didn't like any fish but shellfish until I went to Switzerland at
age 13. It was served to me there and I liked it. Now I eat it almost
every week.

> So, today, I am very slowly trying to work on my "issue" and I have
> tasted some fish. Just small tiny baby bites, but to me huge.

Good for you!

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

PL

Jul 14, 2010, 5:02:16 PM7/14/10
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote in

> There is also such a thing as doing something for someone (for
> instance cooking something you dislike - in my case, it's fish) just
> because you love them...

That would be me, cooking lamb for the SO.

> No meat smells very good raw if you bury your nose in it...

Jeez, you people over there must be getting lumbered with all the 2nd rate
meat and chicken, if everyone is complaining that it smells!!

We get fresh meat, and fish, and chicken over here...... and it all smells
great. In fact, that's the way we can tell if the meat is old or dodgy....
if it doesn't smell just 'right'.

> and dried
> shrimp not only smell bad, they taste bad too.

"Dried shrimp are shrimp that have been sun dried and shrunk to a
thumbnail size. They are used in many Asian cuisines, imparting a unique
umami taste. A handful of shrimp are generally used for dishes. The
flavors of this ingredient are released when allowed to simmer.

In Chinese cuisine, dried shrimp are used quite frequently for their sweet
and unique flavor that is very different from fresh shrimp. They have the
coveted umami flavor (or so-called "fifth taste")."

Looks like some people just don't have that "fifth taste"!!

'Spose you don't like Ikan Bilis either?? (Dried anchovy)

It's part of the national Malaysian breakfast Nasi Lemak.... and a great
way to start the day!!

PL

Jul 14, 2010, 5:06:07 PM7/14/10
Tracy <kara...@bc.edu> wrote in news:i1kq93$e21$1...@news.eternal-
september.org:

> That's the way it is at my house mostly. Since it's just the two of
> us, we cook things we both like. However, there are many more foods
> that my husband likes which I do not, such as seafood and organ
> meats.

I'm with you on the organ meat...... why eat the organs when there's
perfectly good steaks to be had!!

But I *love* seafood!!

> Just a couple weeks ago he came home with a huge striped bass from a
> fishing trip. He and my son were very happy to eat it. I probably
> had spaghetti or something simple. I don't even like to be in the
> kitchen when he is cutting fish. It wigs me out.

The MIL was like that. She loved fish, but could never cook a whole one, and
would *never* clean one herself!! Something to do with "the eyes" :-)

So we just used to buy her pre-filleted fish.

PL

Jul 14, 2010, 5:12:52 PM7/14/10
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in news:ompomelet-D3B2A9.13072714072010
@news-wc.giganews.com:

> In article <LPg%n.217020$Yb4.66166@hurricane>,
> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> atec77 wrote:
>>
>> > I never got this we thing
>> > of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
>> > simple
>>
>> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things
>> in the house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just
>> courtesy, what's more important, eating liver or being
>> nice to the other people you live with?
>>
>> nancy
>
> I was discussing something similar to this with a co-worker the other
> day. The dining room at work charges $.69 EACH for slices of bacon.

Well, I suppose it would have to depend on whether it was decent bacon or
not...... and how they cooked it.

> I'm
> now taking some of the pre-cooked stuff to work for breakfasts when I
> want it.
>
> I'd briefly considered purchasing one of those microwave bacon cookers
> for work but decided against it. As much as _I_ love the smell of
> cooking bacon, some find it offensive!

You have Muslims and Jews at work?

I think they are about the only people on Earth that would find the smell
of cooking bacon offensive!!

Oh, apart from whinging vegetarians, but they don't count.

> I am still considering one for home use tho' now that those microwave
> egg cookers have been such a success.

If you want to cook bacon in the m'wave, just use paper towel. Put the
rashers between a couple of pieces (keep the rashers seperated), put it on
a plate, and nuke for however long.....

brooklyn1

Jul 14, 2010, 6:21:23 PM7/14/10
sf wrote:

>there are some things which smell horrible prior to cooking or during the cooking process.
>Do you give those things up altogether because of the smell?

WTF do yoose moroons think restaurants are for? duh

brooklyn1

Jul 14, 2010, 6:36:56 PM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:01:18 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:07:27 -0500, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I'd briefly considered purchasing one of those microwave bacon cookers
>> for work but decided against it. As much as _I_ love the smell of
>> cooking bacon, some find it offensive!
>
>I don't know about offensive, as to unfair tantalizing of the nose and
>getting your stomach all worked up to eat something... especially when
>you're on a diet.

I can't remember the last time I cooked or even ate bacon, gotta be
more then ten years. With eggs I much prefer sausage to bacon but I
really like ham and eggs best... easy too cook, not redolent, and low
calorie. Before I'd consider bacon and eggs I'd splurge with kosher
salami and eggs, or lox and eggs. I honestly don't see the big whoop
over bacon... even the rabii convinced the priest that sex is better
than bacon.

Tracy

Jul 14, 2010, 7:09:19 PM7/14/10
Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article <i1l1ds$af4$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Tracy <kara...@bc.edu> wrote:
>
>> My phobia is more related to what fish look like than really how it
>> feels or tastes. Although taste is part of it, or rather texture.
>
> So, I suppose the large freshwater prawns we got with heads and legs
> still on wouldn't appeal to you? ;-)

Ugh! No! I can actually look at them now. There was a time I couldn't or
wouldn't even look in a fish tank with goldfish.

> I didn't like any fish but shellfish until I went to Switzerland at
> age 13. It was served to me there and I liked it. Now I eat it almost
> every week.
>
>> So, today, I am very slowly trying to work on my "issue" and I have
>> tasted some fish. Just small tiny baby bites, but to me huge.
>
> Good for you!

Thanks!

Janet Wilder

Jul 14, 2010, 8:14:06 PM7/14/10
Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> DW's on vacation with the grandkids at a mud hole, I mean lake, sixty
> miles from here with other family. I'm home alone for this week. First,
> I had Taco Bell. *We* don't eat Taco Bell. Second, I had wieners and
> polish sausage in sauerkraut with apples and celery seed. *We* don't
> much care for that. Third and for the first time in fifteen years, I
> made curried beef with mushrooms over rice. It's great but could have
> used another tablespoon of curry powder. *We* don't like the taste or
> smell of that monstrosity. I might even have some lamb chops this week
> or quite hot Mexican food. I'd eat finnan haddie if I could find it. The
> possibilities are endless, but I'm running out of time.
>
> leo

My DH is not a cook. While I was away for 18 days, he had grilled steak,
chicken, burgers, hot dogs and lots of salads. He can manage to send up
burnt offerings to the great god Barbecue. He can also make himself an
Egg Beaters omelet.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

spamtrap1888

Jul 14, 2010, 9:52:10 PM7/14/10
On Jul 14, 2:02 pm, PL <Pet...@home.upstairs.in.brissie.aus> wrote:
> sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote innews:70pr36pveqvggp0i6...@4ax.com:
>

> > and dried
> > shrimp not only smell bad, they taste bad too.
>
> "Dried shrimp are shrimp that have been sun dried and shrunk to a
> thumbnail size. They are used in many Asian cuisines, imparting a unique
> umami taste. A handful of shrimp are generally used for dishes. The
> flavors of this ingredient are released when allowed to simmer.
>
> In Chinese cuisine, dried shrimp are used quite frequently for their sweet
> and unique flavor that is very different from fresh shrimp. They have the
> coveted umami flavor (or so-called "fifth taste")."
>
> Looks like some people just don't have that "fifth taste"!!

What smells is the fermented dried shrimp, blachan aka terasi. You can
wrap it in foil before heating it up. We keep our brick of it in a
tightly sealing jar in the fridge.

Golden One

Jul 14, 2010, 11:29:20 PM7/14/10
On Jul 15, 5:02 am, PL <Pet...@home.upstairs.in.brissie.aus> wrote:
> sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote innews:70pr36pveqvggp0i6...@4ax.com:

The local asian grocery has a mix that we like to eat when having a
couple of beers. It consists of peanuts, bits of dried vegetables of
some description, dried crushed chillies and little dried fishies. To
eat, make sure you get a bit of everything in one mouthful. Delicious.

JB

Lou Decruss

Jul 15, 2010, 12:12:55 AM7/15/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:21:58 -0400, "Nancy Young"
<rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:56:25 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>
>>> That would be fantastic. If I lived in a hot climate, I could see
>>> having an outdoor kitchen. I'd have a deep fryer out there, too.
>>
>> I deep fry outside on the turkey fryer. If I'm just doing something
>> little I'll do it inside but not very often.
>
>You know, I love fried chicken, fried pepper rings, pretty much
>anything fried. It does leave that lingering fried odor that I don't
>like to do that too often. I have thought of getting a deep fryer
>or a burner to make that stuff outside.

I do chicken outside. I think it's a 12 quart pot with a basket. I
can do 4 batches of 7-8 in an hour. Most gets frozen and it re-heats
perfectly and is better than any fast food crap. Cleanup involves
just picking up the cardboard from the concrete and putting the oil
back in the jug for the trash.

>>> I saw some show where someone likes to cook chilis (I don't
>>> remember the details, it was a big once a year type of thing)
>>> and the family actually had to leave the house because they'd
>>> be coughing and choking from the fumes. Maybe it's just me,
>>> I think Can't you get a burner and do that outside?
>>
>> Again a turkey fryer or the sideburner on a gas grill.
>
>Exactly, it just seems unnecessary to cause the house to be
>uninihabitable. (laugh) Mind if I breath?

The lingering smell is what bothers me. You don't have that when you
deep fry outside or in the garage.

Lou

Lou Decruss

Jul 15, 2010, 12:13:04 AM7/15/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:49:01 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
<arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <r0fr36lk4pk73pema...@4ax.com>,
> Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:10:07 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
>> <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
>>

>> >Hey, how about if your husband GRILLED liver? Would he be allowed?
>>
>> That or frying it on the side burner of the grill. I love liver and
>> on the rare occasion Louise is gone I make it. She doesn't have a big
>> problem with the smell but won't eat it. So it's not that I can't
>> make it but I'd rather cook something we both can enjoy.
>
> Rich really tried to like liver for my sake. The best he could say
>was that the way I cooked it was better than he'd ever had it, but the
>texture and taste was still not anything he liked. He was quite
>disappointed about it, as he knows how nutritious and inexpensive it is.
>We use the liver we get from our butchered animals as chicken/cat food.

At least he tried it. And yes it is cheap. I think I pay about $.79
a pound.

Lou

Lou Decruss

Jul 15, 2010, 12:13:32 AM7/15/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:36:35 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
<arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <LPg%n.217020$Yb4.66166@hurricane>,
> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> atec77 wrote:
>>
>> > I never got this we thing
>> > of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
>> > simple
>>
>> It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things
>> in the house that I think stink to high heaven. It's just
>> courtesy, what's more important, eating liver or being
>> nice to the other people you live with?
>

> That's kind of what I was thinking. I try not to make things my

>family will hate if they are going to be around. It's a matter of
>showing kindness to them.

Yep. There's so many things to make there's no reason to make
something someone won't like.

>Likewise, my husband doesn't make things he
>knows I will hate or the children will hate when he cooks for us. If
>we're on our own, or the person who hates a particular item is gone,
>then it's free game.
>
> It isn't often that one of us is gone long enough that the other can
>cook something the other doesn't like, usually even if we miss a meal,
>we'd be back later in the evening to eat leftovers. We also make no
>comments on what the other has cooked while we're gone. The only major
>comment that gets made is thank you.

Whoever cooks here always gets thanked. Thank you is a very important
phrase in any successful household. It doesn't matter if it's
laundry, dishes, vacuuming, or whatever. Whoever does it gets
thanked.

Lou

Christine Dabney

Jul 15, 2010, 12:21:12 AM7/15/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 23:13:32 -0500, Lou Decruss
<LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

>Whoever cooks here always gets thanked. Thank you is a very important
>phrase in any successful household. It doesn't matter if it's
>laundry, dishes, vacuuming, or whatever. Whoever does it gets
>thanked.
>
>Lou

It's important in the working envirionment too, at least the places I
work. Nurses have this reputation (at least in the nursing world) of
eating their young... We try not to show this side to out patients of
course.
But a thank you goes a long, long way... Almost anywhere.

Christine
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

sf

Jul 15, 2010, 12:24:40 AM7/15/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:14:06 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My DH is not a cook. While I was away for 18 days, he had grilled steak,
> chicken, burgers, hot dogs and lots of salads. He can manage to send up
> burnt offerings to the great god Barbecue. He can also make himself an
> Egg Beaters omelet.

You husband is a bit better than mine used to be. Back in the day
when I used to take the kids and visit my mom for a week or two at a
time and left him with a freezer full of pretty darned good frozen
meals.... he went to his sister's place to eat. He could make
breakfast (eggs, hash browns & bacon) but that gets old when you're
eating it twice a day. He finally learned how to cook in a
rudimentary way when I regularly stayed at work until 8-10PM. He and
the kids needed to eat and I wasn't there to cook. They survived.

Christine Dabney

Jul 15, 2010, 12:28:33 AM7/15/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:24:40 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> He finally learned how to cook in a
>rudimentary way when I regularly stayed at work until 8-10PM. He and
>the kids needed to eat and I wasn't there to cook. They survived.
>
>--

He's a pretty decent cook now, right? And he has a great appreciation
of good food. He's a sweetie....;)

Christine
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Bob Terwilliger

Jul 15, 2010, 12:40:18 AM7/15/10
Barb wrote:

>> Moreover, there are some things which smell horrible prior to cooking or
>> during the cooking process (I'm thinking of raw chicken
> (snip)
>
> If your raw chicken stinks, Bob, you need to buy fresher chicken.

No, it's fresh enough; I'm certain of that. It just has a smell I find
repellent. It's not a strong smell and it's not a smell of decomposition
(which of course would also be disgusting), but raw chicken does have a
smell. Maybe I'm the only one who has that reaction to the smell.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger

Jul 15, 2010, 12:44:44 AM7/15/10

sf didn't write what you quoted, I did. You fucked up the attribution. It's
a typical newbie mistake, just try to be more careful in the future.
Otherwise you end up looking like a fucking idiot.

Bob

PL

Jul 15, 2010, 12:52:20 AM7/15/10
Golden One <jpb...@westnet.com.au> wrote in news:c16e5ccb-e1e7-40d8-beef-
5e3f4f...@w37g2000prc.googlegroups.com:

>> 'Spose you don't like Ikan Bilis either?? (Dried anchovy)
>>
>> It's part of the national Malaysian breakfast Nasi Lemak.... and a great
>> way to start the day!!
>>

> The local asian grocery has a mix that we like to eat when having a
> couple of beers. It consists of peanuts, bits of dried vegetables of
> some description, dried crushed chillies and little dried fishies. To
> eat, make sure you get a bit of everything in one mouthful. Delicious.

Lucky you!! You're on your way to having Nasi Lemak!! You just need some
cocnut rice, a boiled egg, some chicken curry and some sambal to complete the
dih :-)

I loved the combo of ikan bilis and peanuts.

sf

Jul 15, 2010, 2:29:31 AM7/15/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:28:33 -0700, Christine Dabney
<arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:24:40 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> > He finally learned how to cook in a
> >rudimentary way when I regularly stayed at work until 8-10PM. He and
> >the kids needed to eat and I wasn't there to cook. They survived.
> >
> >--
>
> He's a pretty decent cook now, right?

He's a survival cook, nothing complicated. He does not enjoy cooking
and doesn't make anything that requires a recipe. Oh wait, he used to
make "Italian Pot Roast" from the Joy of Cooking, so he has used a
recipe - for one thing. LOL

> And he has a great appreciation of good food.

Yes, he does appreciate good food!

> He's a sweetie....;)

I lucked out. :)

Food Snob®

Jul 15, 2010, 8:38:16 AM7/15/10
On Jul 14, 11:12 pm, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:

> I do chicken outside.  I think it's a 12 quart pot with a basket.  I
> can do 4 batches of 7-8 in an hour.  Most gets frozen and it re-heats
> perfectly and is better than any fast food crap.

Popeye's "spicy" is not "crap."

> Lou

--Bryan

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 15, 2010, 9:08:37 AM7/15/10
On Jul 14, 2:07 pm, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <LPg%n.217020$Yb4.66166@hurricane>,
>  "Nancy Young" <rjynly...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > atec77 wrote:
>
> > > I never got this we thing
> > >  of she wont make it then I go cook what I want
> > > simple
>
> > It wouldn't be so simple if someone tried to cook things
> > in the house that I think stink to high heaven.  It's just
> > courtesy, what's more important, eating liver or being
> > nice to the other people you live with?
>
> > nancy
>
> I was discussing something similar to this with a co-worker the other
> day. The dining room at work charges $.69 EACH for slices of bacon. I'm

> now taking some of the pre-cooked stuff to work for breakfasts when I
> want it.

So that's a little under $2.80 for four slices. Pretty typical for a
restaurant,
at least around here.

Cindy Hamilton

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Jul 15, 2010, 12:16:53 PM7/15/10
In article <9m2t36pj2p24qid44...@4ax.com>,
Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:49:01 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <r0fr36lk4pk73pema...@4ax.com>,
> > Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

> >> That or frying it on the side burner of the grill. I love liver and
> >> on the rare occasion Louise is gone I make it. She doesn't have a big
> >> problem with the smell but won't eat it. So it's not that I can't
> >> make it but I'd rather cook something we both can enjoy.
> >
> > Rich really tried to like liver for my sake. The best he could say
> >was that the way I cooked it was better than he'd ever had it, but the
> >texture and taste was still not anything he liked. He was quite
> >disappointed about it, as he knows how nutritious and inexpensive it is.
> >We use the liver we get from our butchered animals as chicken/cat food.
>
> At least he tried it. And yes it is cheap. I think I pay about $.79
> a pound.

He's pretty game about trying anything. If we were to buy the liver,
we'd get it about that price, but when we butcher, they just throw it in
if we ask, along with heart, lard/tallow and the other bits that most
Americans don't seem to want.

It is loading more messages.