Foods that use a lot of ketchup

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 2:49:19 AM7/4/15
Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even get into
that saga but there you have it. And I need the refrigerator space. And
yes, open ketchup does need to be refrigerated these days. At least this
kind does.

I also don't want to use the oven because there is no end in sight for this
heat wave. But I did find an oven recipe that sounded interesting.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/article/how-to-use-heinz-ketchup-in-your-brisket-recipe-the-bon-appetit-way

I don't think any of us have ever eaten brisket but I see that Amazon Fresh
has it in grass fed so that would be an option for a cooler day. However, I
am not sure about the sauce. I have never actually made BBQ sauce because
none of us like it and I have a feeling that the sauce might in fact be BBQ
sauce.

An obvious choice would be meatloaf but I have some in the freezer still and
it also uses the oven.

Then there are Sloppy Joes. None of us really like those much but I do find
that making them from scratch is a bit better than Manwich and that ilk.

I did mention the BBQ sauce. Don't want to go there or cocktail sauce.

I thought that I made some sort of chicken some years ago that called for a
lot of ketchup but I have no idea what it was called.

And I have made those Crockpot meatballs with the ketchup and grape jelly.
My friend swore that they were always wolfed down at his company parties but
they were not wolfed down here.

I know I have made something with those little wienies in the Crockpot and
sometimes my husband will eat those. I can't remember what they had in them
though. I want to say mostly ketchup with a little mustard.

What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm not
thinking of.

I know that ketchup can be used for cleaning various things but I'm really
not interested in that. Aside from doing it once and being slightly amazed,
I realize that there are other products that work way better than ketchup
does.

I also know that the ketchup bottle doesn't take up a lot of fridge space
but I just hate having two of the same thing open and I'd like to use one
up. Both are almost all the way full too! Grrr....

Thanks!

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 4, 2015, 7:43:21 AM7/4/15
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 23:49:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even get into
>that saga but there you have it. And I need the refrigerator space. And
>yes, open ketchup does need to be refrigerated these days. At least this
>kind does.

What is special about it? Yes, the label does say to refrigerate, but
I never have. A bottle lasts about 3 months here and is just fine. It
is very acidic and stays fresh. The refrigeration's label is put there
by lawyers, not food scientists.

>I also don't want to use the oven because there is no end in sight for this
>heat wave. But I did find an oven recipe that sounded interesting.
>
>http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/article/how-to-use-heinz-ketchup-in-your-brisket-recipe-the-bon-appetit-way
>
>I don't think any of us have ever eaten brisket but I see that Amazon Fresh
>has it in grass fed so that would be an option for a cooler day. However, I
>am not sure about the sauce. I have never actually made BBQ sauce because
>none of us like it and I have a feeling that the sauce might in fact be BBQ
>sauce.

It is similar to BBQ sauce in that it has a tomato base but I'd think
of it more as a ketchup sauce.

>What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm not
>thinking of.

Look for some sort of crockpot recipe. I has some beef cubes that were
cooked in a roughly half and half ketchup and mustard and it was
tender and pretty good. I don't know what other ingredients were in
it though.

col...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2015, 8:01:19 AM7/4/15
For supper today I'll have 2 fried hotdogs with ketchup on them and pork and beans with hickory smoked bbq sauce added.

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 9:01:20 AM7/4/15

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 23:49:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>
>>Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even get
>>into
>>that saga but there you have it. And I need the refrigerator space. And
>>yes, open ketchup does need to be refrigerated these days. At least this
>>kind does.
>
> What is special about it? Yes, the label does say to refrigerate, but
> I never have. A bottle lasts about 3 months here and is just fine. It
> is very acidic and stays fresh. The refrigeration's label is put there
> by lawyers, not food scientists.

It's the natural kind. A bottle lasts us a very long time unless I make
meatloaf.

>>I also don't want to use the oven because there is no end in sight for
>>this
>>heat wave. But I did find an oven recipe that sounded interesting.
>>
>>http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/article/how-to-use-heinz-ketchup-in-your-brisket-recipe-the-bon-appetit-way
>>
>>I don't think any of us have ever eaten brisket but I see that Amazon
>>Fresh
>>has it in grass fed so that would be an option for a cooler day. However,
>>am not sure about the sauce. I have never actually made BBQ sauce because
>>none of us like it and I have a feeling that the sauce might in fact be
>>BBQ
>>sauce.
>
> It is similar to BBQ sauce in that it has a tomato base but I'd think
> of it more as a ketchup sauce.
>

>>What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm
>>not
>>thinking of.
>>

> Look for some sort of crockpot recipe. I has some beef cubes that were
> cooked in a roughly half and half ketchup and mustard and it was
> tender and pretty good. I don't know what other ingredients were in
> it though.

Okay. Thanks!

Opinicus

Jul 4, 2015, 9:08:17 AM7/4/15
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even get into
>that saga but there you have it. And I need the refrigerator space. And

Didn't we go through this a while ago? Oh well, here's you answer
again:

"The problem's all inside your head" we said to her.
"Whilst extra lots of it you sometimes may incur.
"Condiment management is simply not a bur-
"den 'cause there's fifty things to do with ketchup."

We said "It's really not our habit to intrude
"Furthermore we hope our meaning won't be misconstrued
"But we'll repeat ourselves at risk of being crude
"There must be fifty things to do with ketchup.

"Fifty things to do with ketchup."

--
Bob
Sidera errantia quibus procella tenebrarum in aeternum servata est

Doris Night

Jul 4, 2015, 10:36:09 AM7/4/15
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 23:49:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

Here's one:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7878-stir-fried-chicken-with-ketchup

Doris

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 12:17:04 PM7/4/15
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Hi Julie,

There are a lot of simple ways to use this up. Ed posted one idea.
I'll expand on it.

This ketcup can be used like a sweeter tomato base for a meat sauce
that can later go on pasta or even pizza dough. It will be 'sweet
tasting' comparitively as it's the wrong product to avoid that.

Take 2 cups ketchup, 1/2 cup loosely packed minced sweet onions
(regular is ok) and about 3/4 lb ground beef.

Brown the beef and drain *lightly* as you want some of that fat.
Leaving the rest of the fat, brown the onions a bit in it then add the
ketchup and beef back in. Let simmer (crockpot or stove) for a bit
then add oregano and anise (if you have it).

This basic meat sauce can be used on pizza or a spagetti dish.

Carol

jmcquown

Jul 4, 2015, 12:27:12 PM7/4/15
On 7/4/2015 2:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I also know that the ketchup bottle doesn't take up a lot of fridge
> space but I just hate having two of the same thing open and I'd like to
> use one up. Both are almost all the way full too! Grrr....

Unless they happen to be two completely different types of ketchup, pour
the contents of one bottle into the other.

Jill

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 12:35:21 PM7/4/15

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Why do you talk to that dumbass troll?

"Troll Disposal Service" wrote ...

>Aioe.org NNTP Server

Note that this is my new server, aioe. org. All other posts are
forgeries. Posts from Troll Disposal Service and Acme Bully
Control on any other server are illegal forgeries and frauds.
Please report them promptly.

Brooklyn1

Jul 4, 2015, 1:24:57 PM7/4/15
"Julie Bove wrote:

>Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even get into
>that saga but there you have it. And I need the refrigerator space.

Maybe you can consolidate by squeezing it all into one bottle. Ketchup
bottles are tall with a small footprint, maybe salvage space by
removing a fat assed squat dwarf bottle of something. A lot of folks
have jars and bottles in their fridge that are practically empty and
that really don't need to be refrigerated... if your fridge is so
crowded that there's no room for an extra ketchup bottle it's time you
did some housekeeping.

>And yes, open ketchup does need to be refrigerated these days. At least this
>kind does.

Ketchup is high in carbs, all that sugar, you shouldn't be eating any.
The label saying to refrigerate after opening is really only a
suggestion, mostly depends on climate and for how long before used up,
would be fine at normal room temperatiure for at least a year. I
refrigerate ketchup only because I prefer it cold, I mostly use it on
cold meat sandwiches... I roasted a third of a boneless pork loin two
days ago, good hot but also good cold for sandwiches. Right under
"Refrigerate After Opening" Heinz Red says "Shake Well Before Use", so
be sure to wear a good sports bra! ;)

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 3:18:47 PM7/4/15

"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Thanks! I think that was it!

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 3:19:49 PM7/4/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
That does sound sickly sweet. Not sure I would serve that to an Italian.
But thanks!

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 3:20:14 PM7/4/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
Since they are both almost full, that won't work.

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 3:25:50 PM7/4/15
> > Brown the beef and drain lightly as you want some of that fat.
> > Leaving the rest of the fat, brown the onions a bit in it then add
> > the ketchup and beef back in. Let simmer (crockpot or stove) for a
> > bit then add oregano and anise (if you have it).
> >
> > This basic meat sauce can be used on pizza or a spagetti dish.
>
> That does sound sickly sweet. Not sure I would serve that to an
> Italian. But thanks!

Thank you too for once again dumping on anyone who tries to help you.
Its not my fault you have sickly sweet ketchup to use up.

Gregory Morrow

Jul 4, 2015, 3:25:51 PM7/4/15
Sheldon wrote:

> "Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even get into
> >that saga but there you have it. And I need the refrigerator space.
>
> Maybe you can consolidate by squeezing it all into one bottle. Ketchup
> bottles are tall with a small footprint, maybe salvage space by
> removing a fat assed squat dwarf bottle

"...a fat assed SQWERTZ dwarf bottle..."

--
Best
Greg

DreadfulBitch

Jul 4, 2015, 3:44:22 PM7/4/15
On 7/4/2015 9:35 AM, Doris Night wrote:

> Here's one:
>
> http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7878-stir-fried-chicken-with-ketchup

That looks really good!

--
DreadfulBitch

DreadfulBitch

Jul 4, 2015, 3:46:41 PM7/4/15
On 7/4/2015 1:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm
> not thinking of.

French fries! (-: As far as I'm concerned french fries exist only as a
means to get ketchup to your mouth. As a born & raised Pittsburgher
Heinz is the **only** ketchup worth eating.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Ophelia

Jul 4, 2015, 4:11:08 PM7/4/15

"DreadfulBitch" <notha...@nobodyishome.com> wrote in message
> On 7/4/2015 1:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm
>> not thinking of.
>
> French fries! (-: As far as I'm concerned french fries exist only as a
> means to get ketchup to your mouth. As a born & raised Pittsburgher Heinz
> is the **only** ketchup worth eating.

For me it has to be malt vinegar:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 4:18:22 PM7/4/15
I love ketchup. It's one of the greatest inventions ever! I use it a
lot. I use it in stir fry and teriyaki sauce and it's used by Asian
cooks - but don't tell anyone about that. That's one of the secrets of
the mysterious east. :-)

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 4:40:00 PM7/4/15

Ophelia

Jul 4, 2015, 5:05:28 PM7/4/15
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 7:15:35 PM7/4/15
I have had Jufran. Mostly it's what the guys on the islands West of us like to use. OTOH, the bottles that I've checked recently looked funny. Translucent and gelatinous so I had to pass on them. I will be on the lookout though.

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 7:18:48 PM7/4/15
Thanks for the links. I will go through them.

I'm sorta famous in this family for my ketchup based steak sauce that I've made for years. One time, I mixed up a batch in a restaurant.

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 8:22:31 PM7/4/15
dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
LOL! Now Acme, quit shifting! I alamost missed this with all your
games. I'll have to hunt up how to unban this address now.

Meantime, Jufran is a basic here. I use it in most of my base cookery.

Carol

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 8:30:25 PM7/4/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
I didn't say that it was. But I do think there is not one thing I could say
to you that you wouldn't somehow object to.

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 8:31:01 PM7/4/15

> On 7/4/2015 9:35 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>
>> Here's one:
>>
>> http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7878-stir-fried-chicken-with-ketchup
>
> That looks really good!

I will try it but I will have to use white meat because they won't eat dark.

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 8:31:44 PM7/4/15

"DreadfulBitch" <notha...@nobodyishome.com> wrote in message
> On 7/4/2015 1:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm
>> not thinking of.
>
> French fries! (-: As far as I'm concerned french fries exist only as a
> means to get ketchup to your mouth. As a born & raised Pittsburgher Heinz
> is the **only** ketchup worth eating.

We don't have those often and I make mine in the oven. I guess most people
are big fry eaters but we're not.

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 8:32:35 PM7/4/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Hmmm... I thought maybe I had made teriyaki sauce with it before. I will
look. Thanks!

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 8:34:54 PM7/4/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Thanks. I had seen most of those already but nothing really appealing
there.

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 8:35:56 PM7/4/15

"l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message

> On 4-Jul-2015, "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>
>> What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm
>> not
>> thinking of.
>
> Ketchup leather. Pour ketchup in an even, thin layer on a food dehydrator
> tray or on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Put in dehydrator or very
> low
> oven until dried to the consistency of Fruit Roll-ups or Fruit by the
> Foot.
> Eat as a snack, cut out a piece to serve on hamburger, wrap around a hot
> dog. Will keep well when stored in a cool, dry place. :-J

Yikes! Thanks but no thanks.

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 8:40:05 PM7/4/15
Oddly enough, Acme and I are not the same person. OTOH, great minds think alike and we do have a similar rebellious nature.

The stuff in the stores over here is made in the Philippines. I suspect that the quality is not quite up to snuff compared to your banana ketchup. Pork braised with Jufran would be just damn tasty.

Doris Night

Jul 4, 2015, 11:15:33 PM7/4/15
I'm pretty sure that if you don't use dark meat in that recipe, it
won't work at all.

Doris

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 11:18:53 PM7/4/15

"Acme Bully Control" <di...@deeds.undone> wrote in message
I have seen that show about the history of ketchup. I think it was Burt
Wolf's travels. Also have read about it. Very interesting. Didn't used to
be made of tomatoes at all.

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 11:22:25 PM7/4/15
If you do make teriyaki sauce with a little ketchup, don't tell anybody about it. :-)

Dave Smith

Jul 4, 2015, 11:36:50 PM7/4/15
True, but Julie had the excuse ready ahead of time.

isw

Jul 4, 2015, 11:52:50 PM7/4/15
In article <mn7vio$k3t$1...@dont-email.me>,
Make a double batch of these beans:

Isaac's BBQ Beans
-------

Ingredients:

4 slices bacon, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 28 oz. can Brick Oven or B&M baked beans, (see notes)
1 1/4 cups catsup
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar, packed (see notes)
1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder (Colman's), don't use prepared
1 1/2 Tbsp. ground New Mexico chile, hot or mild
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar

Directions:

Sauté bacon until crisp; add onion and cook 'till transparent. Add all
other ingredients except sugar (see notes) and transfer to Crockpot (or
do everything in the 'pot if yours allows it).

Crockpot on high, uncovered, until desired thickness, stirring
frequently (it won't thicken very fast if it "skins over"). About 4 hrs.
To keep longer, cover and set to low heat. Or, bake uncovered at 325 F
for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. After the beans have cooked a while, taste, and
add as much brown sugar as you like (see notes).

Keeps up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator (but not around *our* house),
but do not freeze - the beans don't like it.

Notes:

Recipe doubles just fine, and there's even a 55 oz can of Brick Oven
beans.

Made a batch today, to go with the BBQ ribs. Yum.

Isaac

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 11:55:45 PM7/4/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I shall try to remember.

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 11:57:24 PM7/4/15

"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
And I'm pretty sure that if I do, they won't eat it. Husband does like
certain wings, not for the meat but the heat, and some turkey legs but for
most chicken, they like breast.

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 11:59:40 PM7/4/15

"isw" <i...@witzend.com> wrote in message
Thanks but as I said, we don't eat BBQ. I love most beans. Just not BBQ
ones. I did think of baked beans but my nephew and I are the only ones who
really love my beans. I put tons of onions in them. Husband and daughter
prefer canned beans. Tastewise I am fine with those. It's just that I can
make them with fewer carbs.

jmcquown

Jul 5, 2015, 12:18:49 AM7/5/15
Past posting history suggests she won't cook with/eat any kind of
chicken that doesn't come out of a can.

Jill

Julie Bove

Jul 5, 2015, 2:49:25 AM7/5/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
How big is your nose now Jill? Must be huge from all the lying. I said
that *I* eat the canned chicken. I cook chicken all the time and I have
posted of it. Did you forget about the teriyaki? The Cheezit chicken? The
many, many times I have made it with the Montreal chicken seasoning? I
guess you did. I would not be making this chicken for me. I don't like
chicken. I only eat the canned because it is easy for me to digest. Not so
much because I like it. But I do need to eat protein that isn't beans.

Bryan-TGWWW

Jul 5, 2015, 7:02:09 AM7/5/15
Another Method of Making Walnut Catsup

Take green walnuts before the shell is

formed, and grind them in a crab-mill,

or pound them in a marble mortar.

Squeeze out the juice through a coarse

cloth, and put to every gallon of juice

a pound of anchovies, and the same

quantity of bay-salt, four ounces of

Jamaica pepper, two of long and two of

black pepper; of mace, cloves, and

ginger, each an ounce, and a stick of

horseradish. Boil all together till

reduced to half the quantity, and then

put it into a pot. When it is cold, bottle

it close, and in three months it will be

fit for use.

And Trout Fishing in America and Maria Callas poured

walnut catsup on their hamburgers.

--Richard Brautigan

Looks disgusting.

--Bryan

Bryan-TGWWW

Jul 5, 2015, 7:06:19 AM7/5/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 11:17:04 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message

> > > What is special about it? Yes, the label does say to refrigerate,
> > > but I never have. A bottle lasts about 3 months here and is just
> > > fine. It is very acidic and stays fresh. The refrigeration's label
> > > is put there by lawyers, not food scientists.
> >
> > It's the natural kind. A bottle lasts us a very long time unless I
> > make meatloaf.

> > > It is similar to BBQ sauce in that it has a tomato base but I'd
> > > think of it more as a ketchup sauce.

> > > Look for some sort of crockpot recipe. I has some beef cubes that
> > > were cooked in a roughly half and half ketchup and mustard and it
> > > was tender and pretty good. I don't know what other ingredients
> > > were in it though.

Pukeworthy.

> > Okay. Thanks!
>
> Hi Julie,
>
> There are a lot of simple ways to use this up. Ed posted one idea.
> I'll expand on it.
>
> This ketcup can be used like a sweeter tomato base for a meat sauce
> that can later go on pasta or even pizza dough. It will be 'sweet
> tasting' comparitively as it's the wrong product to avoid that.
>
> Take 2 cups ketchup, 1/2 cup loosely packed minced sweet onions
> (regular is ok) and about 3/4 lb ground beef.
>
> Brown the beef and drain *lightly* as you want some of that fat.
> Leaving the rest of the fat, brown the onions a bit in it then add the
> ketchup and beef back in. Let simmer (crockpot or stove) for a bit
> then add oregano and anise (if you have it).
>
> This basic meat sauce can be used on pizza or a spagetti dish.

This is too trashy for the regular White Trash Cookbook, but you could
try to get it into the White TrashIER Cookbook.

> Carol
>
> --

--Bryan

Gary

Jul 5, 2015, 7:14:05 AM7/5/15
Ophelia wrote:

> I decided to have a wee Google ...

Thanks for looking all that up, Oph.

I've saved this message to look at all the links eventually. So far, I
just looked at the first one:

> http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/08/08/20-weird-wonderful-uses-tomato-ketchup

Some good ideas there but I loved and laughed at this one....

"If your pet has been rolling in fox poo you can wash them and
soak ketchup into the fur for half an hour to get rid of the smell."

If your pet has been rolling in fox poo? LMAO! :-D

Gary:
"And by the way, Mia...don't EVER let me catch you rolling around in
fox poo!"

Gary

Jul 5, 2015, 7:46:41 AM7/5/15
Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> Another Method of Making Walnut Catsup
>
> Take green walnuts before the shell is
>
> formed, and grind them in a crab-mill,
>
> or pound them in a marble mortar.
>
> Squeeze out the juice through a coarse
>
> cloth, and put to every gallon of juice
>
> a pound of...
LOL@ And where will you get green walnuts before the shell is formed
unless you have your own trees? And how many thousands of pounds of
green walnuts will it take to squeeze out a gallon of juice? Get
real, Bryan.

Gary

Jul 5, 2015, 7:49:04 AM7/5/15
Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Take 2 cups ketchup, 1/2 cup loosely packed minced sweet onions
> > (regular is ok) and about 3/4 lb ground beef.
> >
> > Brown the beef and drain *lightly* as you want some of that fat.
> > Leaving the rest of the fat, brown the onions a bit in it then add the
> > ketchup and beef back in. Let simmer (crockpot or stove) for a bit
> > then add oregano and anise (if you have it).
> >
> > This basic meat sauce can be used on pizza or a spagetti dish.

> This is too trashy for the regular White Trash Cookbook, but you could
> try to get it into the White TrashIER Cookbook.

Didn't you say 'back then' you used to eat out of dumpsters? I'm sure
you did.

G.

Bryan-TGWWW

Jul 5, 2015, 8:12:45 AM7/5/15
What I wrote was that when I lived on the street (I was 20 years old),
I retrieved just thrown out cheeseburgers from the McDonald's dumpster.

At that time, under those circumstances, I would have welcomed a plate
of Carol's ketchup spaghetti sauce.

> G.

--Bryan

Gary

Jul 5, 2015, 8:18:44 AM7/5/15
Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Didn't you say 'back then' you used to eat out of dumpsters? I'm sure
> > you did.
> >
> What I wrote was that when I lived on the street (I was 20 years old),
> I retrieved just thrown out cheeseburgers from the McDonald's dumpster.
>
> At that time, under those circumstances, I would have welcomed a plate
> of Carol's ketchup spaghetti sauce.

Definitely! I also would have welcomed those cheeseburgers from
McDonald's dumpster. heheh

BTW Bryan. You keep mentioning skateboard trips. I have a picture or
two of my times at a nice skatepark. I'll find them and post a tinypic
link here.

G. :)

Ophelia

Jul 5, 2015, 8:28:53 AM7/5/15

> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 11:05:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

>> > I love ketchup. It's one of the greatest inventions ever! I use it a
>> > lot.
>> > I use it in stir fry and teriyaki sauce and it's used by Asian cooks -
>> > but
>> > don't tell anyone about that. That's one of the secrets of the
>> > mysterious
>> > east. :-)
>>
>> I decided to have a wee Google ...
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
>

> Thanks for the links. I will go through them.
>
> I'm sorta famous in this family for my ketchup based steak sauce that I've
> made for years. One time, I mixed up a batch in a restaurant.

What did the chef think to that?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Jul 5, 2015, 9:26:37 AM7/5/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:55990FB9...@att.net...
I had a good giggle at some of them too:))))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown

Jul 5, 2015, 10:54:18 AM7/5/15
I'll try not to let Buffy roll around in fox poo, either. :)

That same tip said, "Lots of people claim that ketchup is great for
getting rid of the smell of skunks in clothes and pets."

I have heard a tomato juice bath is good if you've been sprayed by a
skunk. I wouldn't know, I've never encountered a skunk. Same
principle? Both are (usually) tomato products...

Jill

Roy

Jul 5, 2015, 11:13:56 AM7/5/15
Other than hiring someone to manage your household, I would top up one
bottle with ketchup. Then take the other one and run warm water into it
until all product is washed down the drain. Place the now emptied bottle
in the trash or recycling bin. Forget that you were so dumb and carry on
as usual. Looking for uses for surplus catchup is rather unrewarding
and a bloody waste of time.

Other than that solution, I would perhaps GIVE the extra bottle of ketchup
to a relative or friend or perhaps your "gardener"...I mean who wouldn't
welcome a nice near full bottle of ketchup?...Xmas in July...whoopee.
====

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 5, 2015, 11:21:38 AM7/5/15
On 7/5/2015 8:12 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

>>> This is too trashy for the regular White Trash Cookbook, but you could
>>> try to get it into the White TrashIER Cookbook.
>>
>> Didn't you say 'back then' you used to eat out of dumpsters? I'm sure
>> you did.
>>
> What I wrote was that when I lived on the street (I was 20 years old),
> I retrieved just thrown out cheeseburgers from the McDonald's dumpster.
>
> At that time, under those circumstances, I would have welcomed a plate
> of Carol's ketchup spaghetti sauce.

And you have since morphed into an elitist that criticizes other people
use of store bought mayonnaise.

jmcquown

Jul 5, 2015, 11:26:58 AM7/5/15
On 7/5/2015 11:13 AM, Roy wrote in reply to Julie:
>> I also know that the ketchup bottle doesn't take up a lot of fridge space
>> >but I just hate having two of the same thing open and I'd like to use one
>> >up. Both are almost all the way full too! Grrr....
>> >
>> >Thanks!

> Other than hiring someone to manage your household, I would top up one
> bottle with ketchup. Then take the other one and run warm water into it
> until all product is washed down the drain. Place the now emptied bottle
> in the trash or recycling bin. Forget that you were so dumb and carry on
> as usual. Looking for uses for surplus catchup is rather unrewarding
> and a bloody waste of time.
>
> Other than that solution, I would perhaps GIVE the extra bottle of ketchup
> to a relative or friend or perhaps your "gardener"...I mean who wouldn't
> welcome a nice near full bottle of ketchup?...Xmas in July...whoopee.
> ====

LOL I enjoyed that summation, Roy.

Jill

Cheri

Jul 5, 2015, 11:46:11 AM7/5/15

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
And just about everything else for that matter.

Cheri

Bryan-TGWWW

Jul 5, 2015, 11:47:36 AM7/5/15
If I were destitute, I would eat jizzy jarred mayo. If anyone on here
claimed to be motivated by poverty rather than sloth, I would be very
understanding.

--Bryan

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 5, 2015, 12:17:45 PM7/5/15

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

>And you have since morphed into an elitist that criticizes
>other people use of store bought mayonnaise.

I wouldn't use any derivative of "elite" to describe Bryan.

Bryan-TGWWW

Jul 5, 2015, 12:34:16 PM7/5/15
Really, Marty. I mean, we're both hillbillies.

--Bryan

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:36:24 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 4:53 PM, l not -l wrote:
> Ketchup leather

Repulsive!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:41:10 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 5:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I love ketchup. It's one of the greatest inventions ever! I use it a
>>> lot. I use it in stir fry and teriyaki sauce and it's used by Asian
>>> cooks - but don't tell anyone about that. That's one of the secrets of
>>> the mysterious east. :-)
>>
> I have had Jufran. Mostly it's what the guys on the islands West of us like to use. OTOH, the bottles that I've checked recently looked funny. Translucent and gelatinous so I had to pass on them. I will be on the lookout though.

It's very cool tasting stuff, our bottle here are thick like ketchup.

Perhaps yours are old?

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:48:18 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 6:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> LOL! Now Acme, quit shifting! I alamost missed this with all your
> games. I'll have to hunt up how to unban this address now.

Sorry, my bad ;-)

> Meantime, Jufran is a basic here. I use it in most of my base cookery.
>
> Carol

It's fantastic stuff for sure.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:14:08 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 9:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> but Julie had the excuse ready ahead of time.

I bet you wish you had your woman-hating hands around her neck, you
canuck trog.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:17:26 PM7/5/15
Hold the chicken between your knees.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:25:44 PM7/5/15
On 7/5/2015 5:02 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> And Trout Fishing in America and Maria Callas poured
>
> walnut catsup on their hamburgers.

Sombrero Fallout was better.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:30:42 PM7/5/15
LOL!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:31:46 PM7/5/15
Roger that!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:33:48 PM7/5/15
Troll wars?

Lol.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:35:03 PM7/5/15
You couldn't hillbilly if your pants were around yer ankles.

cshenk

Jul 5, 2015, 2:08:10 PM7/5/15
Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:
It's ok Ed. That recipe was based on a last ditch effort for what
Julie had and is known to have and eat.

It wasn't a great one by any means, nor was it expected to be. I said
right up front it would be too sweet to be really good.

Meantime, it probably does fit what she really makes. Me, I'd have
tossed the excess ketchup and used canned tomatoes and lots of spices.

cshenk

Jul 5, 2015, 2:17:38 PM7/5/15
jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Grin, I'd have put it up on freecycle in case another wanted it.

Julie Bove

Jul 5, 2015, 5:57:33 PM7/5/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
Nonsense! I eat nothing of the sort. I do know how to make good Italian
food. I see what you're doing now. Kill file me and keep insulting me.
Again and again...

Julie Bove

Jul 5, 2015, 5:59:21 PM7/5/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
I've heard that too but recently I have heard that it just doesn't work. I
know that we used to sell a lot of disposable douche. It was good for skunk
odor. I think far more was used for that than what the original purpose
was.

Julie Bove

Jul 5, 2015, 5:59:48 PM7/5/15

"Roy" <wil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I don't know anyone who needs ketchup. I will try making that chicken.

Julie Bove

Jul 5, 2015, 6:00:40 PM7/5/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
I would not use them for anything. Just not necessarily a safe thing to do.
Not in this area anyway.

DreadfulBitch

Jul 5, 2015, 6:27:46 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 7:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "DreadfulBitch" <notha...@nobodyishome.com> wrote in message
>> On 7/4/2015 1:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm
>>> not thinking of.
>>
>> French fries! (-: As far as I'm concerned french fries exist only as
>> a means to get ketchup to your mouth. As a born & raised Pittsburgher
>> Heinz is the **only** ketchup worth eating.
>
> We don't have those often and I make mine in the oven. I guess most
> people are big fry eaters but we're not.

Prepare them any way you wish. French "fries" is simply a name, doesn't
mean that particular food needs to be fried. I prepare mine in the
oven, also.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Julie Bove

Jul 5, 2015, 6:33:52 PM7/5/15

"DreadfulBitch" <notha...@nobodyishome.com> wrote in message
My point was that I didn't want to use the oven in this heat.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 8:45:39 PM7/5/15
Me too! XXX to Big Boy Roy ;-)

Troll Disposal Service

Jul 5, 2015, 9:32:23 PM7/5/15
On 7/6/2015 7:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have heard a tomato juice bath is good if you've been sprayed by a
>> skunk. I wouldn't know, I've never encountered a skunk. Same
>> principle? Both are (usually) tomato products...
>
> I've heard that too but recently I have heard that it just doesn't
> work. I know that we used to sell a lot of disposable douche. It was
> good for skunk odor. I think far more was used for that than what the
> original purpose was.

Please douche your brain. It stinks.

Troll Disposal Service

Jul 5, 2015, 10:17:59 PM7/5/15
Bodine FRAUD.
ab...@aioe.org

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 10:19:25 PM7/5/15
Bodine FRAUD.
ab...@aioe.org

sf

Jul 6, 2015, 1:12:48 AM7/6/15
Are they French?

--

sf
Message has been deleted

Ophelia

Jul 6, 2015, 4:07:00 AM7/6/15

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Ahh but she has made her grand announcement and now she can play dirty:))

Clever eh? Pity she can't see how disgusting she is. I don't believe for
one moment that she has killfiled you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove

Jul 6, 2015, 4:56:16 AM7/6/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Probably not. She emailed me not long ago to warn me of identity theft
because I posted my birthday here. Sheesh.

Bryan-TGWWW

Jul 6, 2015, 4:57:03 AM7/6/15
That had its moments, but was certainly not up there with Willard and His
Trophies, Dreaming of Babylon, and especially not So the Wind Won't Blow
It All Away, which was pure genius.

--Bryan

sf

Jul 6, 2015, 8:36:25 AM7/6/15
On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 15:16:58 +1000, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
> Are they fried?

They are bathed in oil, the oil gets hot and they are as fried as
anything will be in an oven.

--

sf
Message has been deleted

Acme Bully Control

Jul 6, 2015, 11:53:52 AM7/6/15
+1

Acme Bully Control

Jul 6, 2015, 11:55:32 AM7/6/15
You did WHAT?!?!?

Why?

Her warning was sound.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 6, 2015, 11:56:04 AM7/6/15
I still like Revenge of the Lawn.

Roy

Jul 6, 2015, 12:44:32 PM7/6/15
Chicken that tastes like ketchup??? No way Jose. That would spoil the chicken IMHO.
===

sf

Jul 6, 2015, 2:06:20 PM7/6/15
On Mon, 6 Jul 2015 14:03:54 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:
> They are French'd; a lot of tongue is involved.

Would you say that about French cut green beans too?
http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/i-beansgr-french-fr.html

--

sf

dsi1

Jul 6, 2015, 3:35:24 PM7/6/15
On 7/5/2015 6:40 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/4/2015 5:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 10:40:00 AM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control
>> wrote:

>>> I have one word - Jufran!
>>>
>>> http://www.nutriasia.com/products/productdetail/jufran&l=4
>>
>> I have had Jufran. Mostly it's what the guys on the islands West of us
>> like to use. OTOH, the bottles that I've checked recently looked
>> funny. Translucent and gelatinous so I had to pass on them. I will be
>> on the lookout though.
>>
> It's very cool tasting stuff, our bottle here are thick like ketchup.
>
> Perhaps yours are old?

It might be that it's been sitting too long. The bottles of the stuff in
the stores just don't look right. This morning I went to the store and
checked it out again. This time I shook the bottle. This turns the
product into what I expected - an opaque liquid with granular particles
that coats the bottle when you move the air bubble around. I bought a
bottle and I have great hopes that it will live up to my non-Newtonian
expectations. Ha ha.

dsi1

Jul 6, 2015, 3:37:49 PM7/6/15
On 7/5/2015 2:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 11:05:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
>>> I decided to have a wee Google ...
>>>
>>> http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/08/08/20-weird-wonderful-uses-tomato-ketchup
>>>

>>> http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/a22153/ketchup-uses-catsup/
>>>
>>> http://www.thekitchn.com/ways-to-use-up-ketchup-cooking-tips-from-the-kitchn-207006
>>>

>>> http://www.bhg.com/recipes/dinner/10-surprising-things-to-do-with-ketchup/
>>>

>>> http://www.kitchendaily.com/read/7-unusual-delicious-uses-ketchup
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
>>

>> Thanks for the links. I will go through them.
>>
>> I'm sorta famous in this family for my ketchup based steak sauce that
>> I've made for years. One time, I mixed up a batch in a restaurant.
>
> What did the chef think to that?

I was using the stuff at the table. I encourage everybody to mix up
their own sauces using what's available on the table. :-)

Ophelia

Jul 6, 2015, 4:05:00 PM7/6/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Oh I see:) I thought you were teaching the chef:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Acme Bully Control

Jul 6, 2015, 4:10:12 PM7/6/15
Oooh it's a physics food experiment!

Hee hee

Acme Bully Control

Jul 6, 2015, 4:13:31 PM7/6/15
You don't have PF Chang's over that way?

They always used to offer to mix a sauce at the table, lately not so much.

https://www.pfchangs.com/

I believe the condiments to be mixed include dark rice vinegar, red
chile paste, hot mustard, etc.

dsi1

Jul 6, 2015, 4:30:04 PM7/6/15
Teaching a chef is one thing I do not want to do. That's dangerous
grounds right there! OTOH, I did show my daughter's boyfriend how I make
pizza dough. I also gave him a recipe for custard pie that he made for
the restaurant he works for. They told him they might add it to their
menu. I don't know what became of that.

dsi1

Jul 6, 2015, 4:33:41 PM7/6/15
Sounds like my kind of place! Unfortunately, they're located in Waikiki.
I have to be carried kicking a screaming to venture out into the Waikiki
jungle. :-)
It is loading more messages.