Cold meatloaf sandwich!

Julie Bove

Mar 27, 2012, 6:25:18 PM3/27/12
It's what's for dinner. I like meatloaf but I really love cold meatloaf on
a sandwich. I don't get that very often because I don't make meatloaf very
often and when I do there are usually no leftovers. Now when I make it I
make it in large amounts.

Tara

Mar 27, 2012, 6:48:44 PM3/27/12
I'll take some ketchup, mustard, pickles and onion on mine, please.

Tara

Chemo the Clown

Mar 27, 2012, 6:52:34 PM3/27/12
You just made me really hungry for cold meatloaf!!!

Brooklyn1

Mar 27, 2012, 6:58:44 PM3/27/12
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:25:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

Excellent! I love meat loaf. If I had to choose but one food to
subsist on it would be meat loaf. I always make meat loaf with
minimally 5 pounds of meat, plus all the other ingredients... meat
loaf freezes well but since I can eat meat loaf every day (even three
times a day) its very rare that any hits my freezer. Cold meat loaf
sandwich is da bomb... good with just ketchup but wonderful with
horseradish. Meat loaf is very easy to prepare as I grind all the
veggies and bread with the meat. The only ingredient that doesn't
grind well is raw garlic, it's grind but it won't distribute, so I use
granulated. My secret to meat loaf with great texture is two eggs per
pound of meat... and don't forget to grind in some raw potato, and a
bunch of parsley. THIS is a meat loaf:
http://i43.tinypic.com/t0sv2a.jpg

Christopher M.

Mar 27, 2012, 7:01:33 PM3/27/12
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
That's cool, Julie.

Cold meatloaf is a whole different animal from hot meatloaf, just like cold
ham and hot ham.

You could get a little crazy and slice it really thin.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Julie Bove

Mar 27, 2012, 9:12:32 PM3/27/12

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
I did put potato in mine this time. I normally don't. Since I can't use
egg and now I can't use flax, I need to find something else to hold it
together. I made individual ones that were too large and they didn't hold
very well. If I had made them half that size they probably would have been
fine. I also put in zucchini, spinach, a lot of onion, tomato, red bell
pepper and baby food squash which was supposed to bind them but really
didn't. I use about half meat and half veg. Very tender end result. I
hate tough chewy meatloaf. I did put parsley in mine and also oregano.

My mom drapes bacon across the top of hers. I don't like it on there. The
bacon never really gets crispy. I prefer ketchup or better still HoMade
chili sauce on top.

Bryan

Mar 27, 2012, 9:28:42 PM3/27/12
Julie,
You and Sheldon were made for each other, assuming that you have ample
breasts, though Sheldon can't really be very picky these days.

--Bryan

Brooklyn1

Mar 27, 2012, 9:36:19 PM3/27/12
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:12:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
I think you used too much veg for it to hold together.

Lou Decruss

Mar 27, 2012, 9:43:35 PM3/27/12
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:25:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

It just warms my heart to hear there's something you like. Good for
you!

Lou <---not being sarcastic

z z

Mar 27, 2012, 9:52:58 PM3/27/12
That is a fine looking meatloaf-I visited the folks this weekend and
after laboring over putting out the patio furniture grill etc Mom gave
me a cold leftovers meatloaf sandwich she was hiding in the fridge. My
meatloaf is never as good as Mom's. I put oatmeal and sometimes flaxmeal
in mine along with egg, evap milk, onions. and spaghetti sauce. I think
Mom uses a can of condensed tomatoe soup or sometimes tomatoe juice-she
puts crackers instead of oatmeal or bread. I bet cheez-its would be good
in meatloaf.

ImStillMags

Mar 27, 2012, 10:54:16 PM3/27/12
My mom always put in corn flakes instead of cracker crumbs or bread
crumbs. She also used evaporated milk, onions, celery, eggs and
ketchup. Ketchup on the top for a crust. She made really good
meatloaf.

Lou Decruss

Mar 27, 2012, 11:21:01 PM3/27/12
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:52:58 -0500, angi...@webtv.net (z z) wrote:

>That is a fine looking meatloaf

WTF are you talking about?
gud gawd.

I'm back on the laptop

Mar 27, 2012, 11:32:03 PM3/27/12
angi...@webtv.net (z z) wrote in news:9676-4F726EFA-303@storefull-
3251.bay.webtv.net:
Here's some *very good* Aussie recipe for meatloaf.....

http://www.taste.com.au/search-recipes/?q=meatloaf+recipes

No oatmeal, no crackers, no tomato soup, no evap milk, and especially no
cheez-its!!!

--
Peter
Tasmania

Lou Decruss

Mar 28, 2012, 12:30:18 AM3/28/12
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> THIS is a meat loaf:
>> http://i43.tinypic.com/t0sv2a.jpg

Did you ever finish baking it? LOL! Looks like something lucas
would brag about. Did you make it for the SO? You're a liar and a
freak shemp. You never make less than 5 pounds of meatloaf and it
hardly ever hits the freezer? I assume most of what you cook gets fed
to the raccoons because it's unfit for human consumption. At least
then you can claim to have friends.

>I did put potato in mine this time.

Potato also works in well with ground beef tacos. I didn't think I'd
like it but it's very good.

>I normally don't. Since I can't use
>egg and now I can't use flax, I need to find something else to hold it
>together. I made individual ones that were too large and they didn't hold
>very well. If I had made them half that size they probably would have been
>fine. I also put in zucchini, spinach, a lot of onion, tomato, red bell
>pepper and baby food squash which was supposed to bind them but really
>didn't. I use about half meat and half veg. Very tender end result. I
>hate tough chewy meatloaf.

I can't imagine how you would get tough chewy meatloaf. You also have
way too much stuff in there.

>I did put parsley in mine and also oregano.
>My mom drapes bacon across the top of hers. I don't like it on there. The
>bacon never really gets crispy.

I love bacon but some folks think it cures all other mistakes. I'm
burned out on it and don't eat much anymore.

> I prefer ketchup or better still HoMade
>chili sauce on top.

I like BBQ sauce. I also very rarely make meatloaf in the oven. I
use a smoker or a weber kettle. It takes a so-so meal to another
level. But I'm sure you're allergic to charcoal.

Lou

Julie Bove

Mar 28, 2012, 1:05:32 AM3/28/12

"Christopher M." <nospam_...@floo.com> wrote in message
I think I might try it in pita bread.

Julie Bove

Mar 28, 2012, 1:07:49 AM3/28/12

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
That could be. Normally I would have put in more meat but I used a bit of
the meat for my ill fated calzones. Actually my daughter liked them. I did
not.

I have a tendency to put in too many veggies. Once I put in so many that
they didn't even taste like meat! They were very good though. I have some
loaf recipes in very old cookbooks that call for things like beans or
peanuts. I was always tempted to try them but just never did. I think they
were the forerunner to today's veggie patties.

RussianFoodDire

Mar 28, 2012, 12:48:30 AM3/28/12

I love meatloaf at any time of the day. I prepare it with atleast 4
pounds of meat.

--
RussianFoodDire

Zz Yzx

Mar 28, 2012, 9:43:18 AM3/28/12
Talk about comfort food. My Mom used to pack meatloaf sandwiches for
me when I was in elementary school. Wonder Bread, lettuce, the
ketchup that was already onm the meatloaf, and CYM. Yikes.

Ophelia

Mar 28, 2012, 10:10:26 AM3/28/12

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
Recipe?

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Mar 28, 2012, 10:12:47 AM3/28/12

"Lou Decruss" <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote in message
Share your recipe, Lou? I am gathering recipes because I have only ever
made two and we were not impressed. I keep reading about how much people
love it and I want a recipe to love too:)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Julie Bove

Mar 28, 2012, 10:33:04 AM3/28/12

"Zz Yzx" <zzy...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
We generally always got them for road trips. I asked my mom about them one
day because when I made a meatloaf at home there were never leftovers. She
just laughed and said she made two!

Kalmia

Mar 28, 2012, 10:39:16 AM3/28/12
On Mar 27, 6:58 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:25:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> bunch of parsley.  THIS is a meat loahat of:http://i43.tinypic.com/t0sv2a.jpg

Is that one of those two layer meatloaf pans with the drainage built
in? I have been tempted to buy one to get rid of the grease. I use
lean beef, but still seem to get a lot of runoff. How do you manage
the fat?

I mix horseradish right into the meatloaf, also some dry mustard and
ketchup. I can remember as a kid picking out the green pepper my
mother insisted on putting in it. Ack.

Nancy2

Mar 28, 2012, 11:16:34 AM3/28/12
I usually put in diced celery and onion, and green pepper if I have
it, but I saute those first - makes the final product better. I used
to put them in the mixture raw, but they don't bake up enough.

I use the BH & G Best Meatloaf recipe and my family loves it. I've
been making it in small loaf pans, 2-3-serving size, and when they are
done, I lift the whole loaf out with a longish spatula, and put it in
a clean loaf pan the same size - all the juice/grease gets left in the
baking pan.

I top it with a mixture of ketchup, yellow mustard, Worcestershire
sauce and brown sugar - much, much better than plain ol' ketchup or
BBQ sauce.

N.
Message has been deleted

David Dyer-Bennet

Mar 28, 2012, 1:13:11 PM3/28/12
I should probably go to making 2lbs when I do meatloaf (which probably
won't be until next fall; I tend to avoid the oven in the summer).
Leftover meatloaf is good, and I do think sandwiches are the best use of
it. With Dijon mustard, or Gulden's spicy mustard.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

David Dyer-Bennet

Mar 28, 2012, 1:14:35 PM3/28/12
You must be used to *really* awful meatloaf; that would completely
overwhelm the flavors.

David Dyer-Bennet

Mar 28, 2012, 1:16:59 PM3/28/12
"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> writes:

> Share your recipe, Lou? I am gathering recipes because I have only
> ever made two and we were not impressed. I keep reading about how
> much people love it and I want a recipe to love too:)

The best meatload recipe I've found is the one in Craig Claiborne's
_Cooking With Herbs And Spices_. It's under "fennel" (doesn't have
strong fennel flavor, but does contain fennel).

Lou Decruss

Mar 28, 2012, 1:35:15 PM3/28/12
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:12:47 +0100, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:
I roughly follow Alton Brown's recipe. I pull up to make sure I don't
forget anything. I do add an extra egg. After you make it once or
twice you don't really need a recipe. Louise makes it with no recipe
and her's is just as good as mine as long as I cook it over wood.

Lou

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html

Good Eats Meatloaf

Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown

Prep Time:
25 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
45 min

Level:
--

Serves:
6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

* 6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
* 1 carrot, peeled and broken
* 3 whole cloves garlic
* 1/2 red bell pepper
* 18 ounces ground chuck
* 18 ounces ground sirloin
* 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 egg
*

For the glaze:

* 1/2 cup catsup
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* Dash Worcestershire sauce
* Dash hot pepper sauce
* 1 tablespoon honey

Directions

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne
pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine
texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion,
carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until
the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable
mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb
mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and
combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.

Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the
meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf
out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe
at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the
bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.

Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and
honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for
about 10 minutes.

Lou Decruss

Mar 28, 2012, 1:40:55 PM3/28/12
I usually make two also and freeze whatever is left over.

Lou

Brooklyn1

Mar 28, 2012, 1:49:29 PM3/28/12
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:10:26 +0100, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:
I have no recipe, I've never made the exact same meat loaf twice... I
include whatever ingredients are available from my meat loaf palette
that I happen to have on hand at the time, everything measured by eye.
About all I can do is make suggestions such as to include Penzeys
toasted onions instead of those awful salty packets of onion soup. The
very best suggestion is to freshly grind the meat and everything else
yourself... it's not possible to make good meat loaf from preground
mystery meat (aka pink slime). Btw, the meat loaf in that picture
hasn't been cooked yet, and it entirely escaped me to take pictures
when it came out of the oven, you'll just have to trust it was very
good. Keep in mind that meat loaf recipes are only a guide, a very
rough guide... how is just as important as what... takes lots of
experience to learn what texture the raw ingredients need to be, I mix
everything by hand... I don't know how people can cook who are ascared
to touch food.

Dave Smith

Mar 28, 2012, 4:10:27 PM3/28/12
On 27/03/2012 6:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> It's what's for dinner. I like meatloaf but I really love cold meatloaf on
> a sandwich. I don't get that very often because I don't make meatloaf very
> often and when I do there are usually no leftovers. Now when I make it I
> make it in large amounts.

I learned to make larger meatloaf. My mother's meatloaf was not very
good and I never bothered making it for years, but then I got a recipe
from a friend who made a really good one, and I used to get meatloaf at
mom and pop diners when I was working. Then one day I tried a meatloaf
sandwich because it was the daily special. Otherwise it would never have
occurred to me to try it. I was impressed, and I now suggest that if
people see it on a menu they should order it, because it can be great.

Ophelia

Mar 28, 2012, 4:12:59 PM3/28/12

> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html

<saved>
Many thanks, Lou. We don't like hot spices but I shall certainly look at
the rest!!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Mar 28, 2012, 4:16:18 PM3/28/12

> About all I can do is make suggestions such as to include Penzeys
> toasted onions instead of those awful salty packets of onion soup.

I always fry fresh onions myself and would never buy ready made.

The
> very best suggestion is to freshly grind the meat and everything else
> yourself... it's not possible to make good meat loaf from preground
> mystery meat (aka pink slime).

I never buy preground <anything> I grind everything fresh myself.

Btw, the meat loaf in that picture
> hasn't been cooked yet, and it entirely escaped me to take pictures
> when it came out of the oven, you'll just have to trust it was very
> good. Keep in mind that meat loaf recipes are only a guide, a very
> rough guide... how is just as important as what... takes lots of
> experience to learn what texture the raw ingredients need to be, I mix
> everything by hand... I don't know how people can cook who are ascared
> to touch food.

Ok thanks

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Mar 28, 2012, 4:24:45 PM3/28/12

"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd...@dd-b.net> wrote in message
> "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> writes:
>
>> Share your recipe, Lou? I am gathering recipes because I have only
>> ever made two and we were not impressed. I keep reading about how
>> much people love it and I want a recipe to love too:)
>
> The best meatload recipe I've found is the one in Craig Claiborne's
> _Cooking With Herbs And Spices_. It's under "fennel" (doesn't have
> strong fennel flavor, but does contain fennel).

I haven't heard of Craig Claiborne but I will look, thank you!
--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

pavane

Mar 28, 2012, 4:38:40 PM3/28/12
He was one of the most influential food critics, restaurant critics,
food authors and cookbook compilers in our lifetime. He easily
bears comparison with Julia Child and James Beard in his
influence on home cooking. Here is a short Saveur article on
his accomplishments, there is a lot more elsewhere on the
Internet. Please read up a bit on him, one of my true heroes.
I bought his "New York Times Cookbook" in 1960 and it
really changed my life relative to food and cooking.
http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/The-Legacy-of-Craig-Claiborne

pavane

Christopher M.

Mar 28, 2012, 5:04:09 PM3/28/12

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Kind of like a gyro?

Julie Bove

Mar 28, 2012, 5:12:05 PM3/28/12

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
Mine is never the same twice either. It's sort of like my vegetable soup.

Ophelia

Mar 28, 2012, 5:14:17 PM3/28/12

"pavane" <pav...@leisure.org> wrote in message

>> I haven't heard of Craig Claiborne but I will look, thank you!
>
> He was one of the most influential food critics, restaurant critics,
> food authors and cookbook compilers in our lifetime. He easily
> bears comparison with Julia Child and James Beard in his
> influence on home cooking. Here is a short Saveur article on
> his accomplishments, there is a lot more elsewhere on the
> Internet. Please read up a bit on him, one of my true heroes.
> I bought his "New York Times Cookbook" in 1960 and it
> really changed my life relative to food and cooking.
> http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/The-Legacy-of-Craig-Claiborne

I have found him this on amazon and it is now on order:)) Thank you:)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Brooklyn1

Mar 28, 2012, 5:16:32 PM3/28/12
"Ophelia" wrote:
>"Brooklyn1" wrote:
>
>> About all I can do is make suggestions such as to include Penzeys
>> toasted onions instead of those awful salty packets of onion soup.
>
>I always fry fresh onions myself and would never buy ready made.

Fried are not toasted, they taste very different.

Dave Smith

Mar 28, 2012, 5:18:57 PM3/28/12
On 28/03/2012 1:14 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Tara<jarv...@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:25:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's what's for dinner. I like meatloaf but I really love cold meatloaf on
>>> a sandwich. I don't get that very often because I don't make meatloaf very
>>> often and when I do there are usually no leftovers. Now when I make it I
>>> make it in large amounts.
>>
>> I'll take some ketchup, mustard, pickles and onion on mine, please.
>
> You must be used to *really* awful meatloaf; that would completely
> overwhelm the flavors.

I am not so sure about that. Meatloaf is one of the few things I put
ketchup on.... and in. A little raw onion never hurts anything beefy.
Pickles add the brine and the texture.... not sure if mustard is
necessary for me.

Brooklyn1

Mar 28, 2012, 5:20:53 PM3/28/12
Can be great but can also suck, some greasy spoons do great chow, some
do garbage. Were it a place I hadn't tried before I'd not order the
meat loaf right off. I don't order anything ground beef out... at a
greasy spoon you can bet your bippee it's mystery meat a la pink
slime.

Ophelia

Mar 28, 2012, 5:24:36 PM3/28/12

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
Well I haven't seen those here, but even so, I prefer to prepare food from
scratch.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

tert in seattle

Mar 28, 2012, 5:37:28 PM3/28/12
when I make them from scratch they always get stuck in the toaster :-(

George M. Middius

Mar 28, 2012, 5:52:42 PM3/28/12
tert in seattle wrote:

>when I make them from scratch they always get stuck in the toaster :-(

You'll be hearing from the Save Kitchen Appliances League.

Ophelia

Mar 28, 2012, 5:54:25 PM3/28/12

"tert in seattle" <te...@ftupet.com> wrote in message
lol

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Julie Bove

Mar 28, 2012, 6:19:27 PM3/28/12

"Christopher M." <nospam_...@floo.com> wrote in message
I just stuffed it in there and ate it. My pita wasn't very big so not much
would fit. It was good but white bread is better.

gregz

Mar 28, 2012, 9:44:47 PM3/28/12
RussianFoodDire <RussianFoodDire...@foodbanter.com> wrote:
> I love meatloaf at any time of the day. I prepare it with atleast 4
> pounds of meat.

I like meatloaf but rarely have it. I never have yet made it. The
restaurants are stingy how much they give. I think I can get it sliced at
the deli.

On a sandwich, I would prefer mustard or mayo. I like plain meatloaf.
That's the way I ate my mothers on a plate. I could eat it with some
ketchup, but I would prefer it's own juices.

Somebody mentioned BBQ sauce. BBQ sauce can be anything. There is no set
flavor or texture.

Greg

z z

Mar 28, 2012, 10:41:28 PM3/28/12
I think worcestershire is what I forget to put in mine that Mom uses.
Sometimes if I have leftover salsa I will use that.

I have never seen it on a menu but meatloaf eggrolls would be really
good.

I'm back on the laptop

Mar 28, 2012, 11:05:39 PM3/28/12
gregz <ze...@comcast.net> wrote in news:1513192357354678100.470163zekor-
comca...@news.eternal-september.org:
Try some of these......... *damn* good.

http://www.taste.com.au/search-recipes/?q=meatloaf+recipes

--
Peter
Tasmania
Australia

Jean B.

Mar 28, 2012, 11:38:12 PM3/28/12
Julie Bove wrote:
> It's what's for dinner. I like meatloaf but I really love cold meatloaf on
> a sandwich. I don't get that very often because I don't make meatloaf very
> often and when I do there are usually no leftovers. Now when I make it I
> make it in large amounts.

Meatloaf sandwiches are great! Good idea!

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Mar 28, 2012, 11:41:34 PM3/28/12
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> writes:
>
>> Share your recipe, Lou? I am gathering recipes because I have only
>> ever made two and we were not impressed. I keep reading about how
>> much people love it and I want a recipe to love too:)
>
> The best meatload recipe I've found is the one in Craig Claiborne's
> _Cooking With Herbs And Spices_. It's under "fennel" (doesn't have
> strong fennel flavor, but does contain fennel).

Ah! I love that book! Now where IS it????

If you like ginger, try his ginger cheese pie.

--
Jean B.

pavane

Mar 28, 2012, 11:54:29 PM3/28/12
Ooohhhh, the third group she has posted these to. Thanks, dearie,
but we don't need another crappy cookbook compendium of your
garbage. Ta Ta now. Go jump out of a plane.

pavane

Bob Terwilliger

Mar 29, 2012, 11:30:14 AM3/29/12
Julie wrote:

> I have a tendency to put in too many veggies. Once I put in so many that
> they didn't even taste like meat! They were very good though. I have some
> loaf recipes in very old cookbooks that call for things like beans or
> peanuts. I was always tempted to try them but just never did. I think they
> were the forerunner to today's veggie patties.

Just call them "terrines" and enjoy! I love the flavors that vegetables
add to meatloaf, and there are scads of vegetable combinations that work
in that application.

Bob

David Dyer-Bennet

Mar 29, 2012, 2:05:24 PM3/29/12
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>> "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Share your recipe, Lou? I am gathering recipes because I have only
>>> ever made two and we were not impressed. I keep reading about how
>>> much people love it and I want a recipe to love too:)
>>
>> The best meatload recipe I've found is the one in Craig Claiborne's
>> _Cooking With Herbs And Spices_. It's under "fennel" (doesn't have
>> strong fennel flavor, but does contain fennel).
>
> Ah! I love that book! Now where IS it????

Second self from the top, right-hand bookcase, dining room.

Oh, you mean *your* copy? Sorry, dunno.

> If you like ginger, try his ginger cheese pie.

Love ginger in savory dishes at least. But I also love ginger molasses
cookies, and some of the heavier moister gingerbreads. However, I'm
somewhat iffy on sweet cheese stuff. But I'll bear it in mind.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

sf

Mar 29, 2012, 2:11:08 PM3/29/12
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:05:24 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net>
wrote:

> Second self from the top, right-hand bookcase, dining room.
>
> Oh, you mean *your* copy? Sorry, dunno.

How do you store your cookbooks? I put collections together. For
singles, it's by most often used. I don't have so many that I have to
alphabetize them.

David Dyer-Bennet

Mar 29, 2012, 2:13:39 PM3/29/12
angi...@webtv.net (z z) writes:

> I think worcestershire is what I forget to put in mine that Mom uses.
> Sometimes if I have leftover salsa I will use that.

My mother's uses that, and it was good. Raw onions rather than sauteed
in butter, no parseley, no fennel, but Worcestershire sauce. The
results are fairly similar, too (comparison is to the Craig Claiborne
recipe in _Cooking With Herbs And Spices_ that I mentioned).

David Dyer-Bennet

Mar 29, 2012, 4:20:41 PM3/29/12
sf <s...@geemail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:05:24 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Second self from the top, right-hand bookcase, dining room.
>>
>> Oh, you mean *your* copy? Sorry, dunno.
>
> How do you store your cookbooks? I put collections together. For
> singles, it's by most often used. I don't have so many that I have to
> alphabetize them.

The actual organization only somewhat approximates the goal. More-used
ones live in the shelves near the kitchen, less-used in the overflow in
the living room. We try to group them by ethnicity, mostly. The big
categories are Chinese, Mexican, Indian, and American.

Estimating from memory, I think we have about 25 shelf-feet of
cookbooks.

sf

Mar 29, 2012, 6:14:30 PM3/29/12
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:20:41 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net>
wrote:

> Estimating from memory, I think we have about 25 shelf-feet of
> cookbooks.

Thanks, I only have half of yours downstairs in what I consider my
working library. Another 6-8 feet upstairs that's pretty much unused
and more packed in boxes in the basement, with one foot out the door.

Christopher M.

Mar 29, 2012, 9:13:02 PM3/29/12

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Pitas are meant to be stuffed.

No skinny pitas for me.

Cheryl

Mar 29, 2012, 11:00:22 PM3/29/12
On 3/28/2012 1:35 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html
>
> Good Eats Meatloaf
>
> Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown
>
> Prep Time:
> 25 min
> Inactive Prep Time:
> --
> Cook Time:
> 45 min
>
> Level:
> --
>
> Serves:
> 6 to 8 servings
>
> Ingredients
>
> * 6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons

I'd never thought of using croutons. I have a bag that needs using up
so I'm going to try that for my next loaf.

Dave Smith

Mar 29, 2012, 11:08:13 PM3/29/12
On 29/03/2012 11:00 PM, Cheryl wrote:

>> Ingredients
>>
>> * 6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
>
> I'd never thought of using croutons. I have a bag that needs using up so
> I'm going to try that for my next loaf.

Nor did I. In fact, I had to look at the recipe to check about croutons
and who they would go into a meatloaf..... and it gets pulsed in a food
processor????? It makes no sense to me. It is a lot of extra work or
expense to put into a meatloaf.

Cheryl

Mar 29, 2012, 11:12:16 PM3/29/12
Well, there are ground beef filled dumplings. Sounds similar.

Cheryl

Mar 29, 2012, 11:24:25 PM3/29/12
On 3/28/2012 10:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Lou Decruss" <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:52:58 -0500, angi...@webtv.net (z z) wrote:
>>
>>> That is a fine looking meatloaf
>>
>> WTF are you talking about?
>>
>>> -I visited the folks this weekend and
>>> after laboring over putting out the patio furniture grill etc Mom gave
>>> me a cold leftovers meatloaf sandwich she was hiding in the fridge. My
>>> meatloaf is never as good as Mom's. I put oatmeal and sometimes flaxmeal
>>> in mine along with egg, evap milk, onions. and spaghetti sauce. I think
>>> Mom uses a can of condensed tomatoe soup or sometimes tomatoe juice-she
>>> puts crackers instead of oatmeal or bread. I bet cheez-its would be good
>>> in meatloaf.
>>
>> gud gawd.
>
> Share your recipe, Lou? I am gathering recipes because I have only ever
> made two and we were not impressed. I keep reading about how much people
> love it and I want a recipe to love too:)

Whatever you do, watch out for meatloaf recipes that have rice in them.
When I was a new bride many many years ago I was an experimental cook.
I put myself in the hospital with a meatloaf with rice in it. The
recipe had two versions. One with cooked rice and one with raw. To save
some time I chose the raw version. It was supposed to cook inside the
meatloaf and thinking back that's just stupid. It soaks up grease.
Well, the rice didn't completely cook and this half-soaked greasy rice
finished swelling in my stomach. Whoa, talk about pain. Husband at the
time didn't get sick, just me.

sf

Mar 30, 2012, 12:50:29 AM3/30/12
Croutons are nothing more than compacted bread crumbs and you know
people put bread crumbs in their meatloaf. It's a good way to get rid
of leftover bread crumbs I always have an extra package after
Thanksgiving. I'm not advocating croutons, I'm just rationalizing it.

Julie Bove

Mar 30, 2012, 12:58:22 AM3/30/12

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
Not much different than using dry bread crumbs.

Julie Bove

Mar 30, 2012, 12:59:40 AM3/30/12

"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Porcupine meatballs use raw rice and they have never sickened me.

Ophelia

Mar 30, 2012, 5:01:27 AM3/30/12

"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Oooh poor you:( We don't like rice ... thank goodness but I am sure your
warning will be useful for someone else.!!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Mar 30, 2012, 5:03:03 AM3/30/12

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
I always dry leftover bread in the dehydrator and it gets used up one way or
another.
--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

David Dyer-Bennet

Mar 30, 2012, 11:32:06 AM3/30/12
Yes, those immediately came to mind, and I've never had problems with
them either.

sf

Mar 30, 2012, 2:44:35 PM3/30/12
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:59:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> Porcupine meatballs use raw rice and they have never sickened me.

The meatballs in Albondigas use raw rice too. I just made it last
week - the rice cooks very quickly.

Nancy Young

Mar 30, 2012, 5:11:05 PM3/30/12
On 3/30/2012 2:44 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:59:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>
>> Porcupine meatballs use raw rice and they have never sickened me.
>>
> The meatballs in Albondigas use raw rice too. I just made it last
> week - the rice cooks very quickly.

I think albondigas means meatballs.

nancy

sf

Mar 31, 2012, 1:26:12 AM3/31/12
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:11:05 -0400, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail>
wrote:
I can't confirm that, but I'll believe you.

Cheryl

Mar 31, 2012, 1:53:55 AM3/31/12
I always make my own breadcrumbs but I do use croutons for salad. They
can come very flavored so I can see how using them could be good in a
meatloaf if you have extra you need to use up.

Julie Bove

Mar 31, 2012, 1:58:26 AM3/31/12

"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
But croutons are also easy to make. I don't make them here because we don't
really like them. But when I was staying with my in-laws there was always a
ton of stale bread because my MIL's sister was working for a bakery and
always dropped off day old stuff.

Dave Smith

Mar 31, 2012, 10:32:35 AM3/31/12
On 30/03/2012 12:50 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:08:13 -0400, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> I'd never thought of using croutons. I have a bag that needs using up so
>>> I'm going to try that for my next loaf.
>>>

>> Nor did I. In fact, I had to look at the recipe to check about croutons
>> and who they would go into a meatloaf..... and it gets pulsed in a food
>> processor????? It makes no sense to me. It is a lot of extra work or
>> expense to put into a meatloaf.
>
> Croutons are nothing more than compacted bread crumbs and you know

Not compacted. They are cubed and dried out.

> people put bread crumbs in their meatloaf. It's a good way to get rid
> of leftover bread crumbs I always have an extra package after
> Thanksgiving. I'm not advocating croutons, I'm just rationalizing it.

True.... stale bread that you have on hand is basically free. It is good
for filler, feeding birds or the garbage. I sure as heck wouldn't got
to the effort to make croutons or the expense of buying them just to put
them into a food processor and turn them into crumbs when I can make
crumbs with stale bread.

Dave Smith

Mar 31, 2012, 10:33:54 AM3/31/12
On 31/03/2012 1:53 AM, Cheryl wrote:

>> Croutons are nothing more than compacted bread crumbs and you know
>> people put bread crumbs in their meatloaf. It's a good way to get rid
>> of leftover bread crumbs I always have an extra package after
>> Thanksgiving. I'm not advocating croutons, I'm just rationalizing it.
>>

> I always make my own breadcrumbs but I do use croutons for salad. They
> can come very flavored so I can see how using them could be good in a
> meatloaf if you have extra you need to use up.

Sure. It is a good way to use croutons. I just can't see buying or
making croutons just to grind them up into crumbs when it is cheaper and
easier just to process stale bread.

Jim Elbrecht

Mar 31, 2012, 10:51:02 AM3/31/12
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 30/03/2012 12:50 AM, sf wrote:

-snip-

>> Croutons are nothing more than compacted bread crumbs and you know
>
>Not compacted. They are cubed and dried out.

Mine are cubed dense bread, seasoned, oiled and baked.

>> people put bread crumbs in their meatloaf. It's a good way to get rid
>> of leftover bread crumbs I always have an extra package after
>> Thanksgiving. I'm not advocating croutons, I'm just rationalizing it.
>
>True.... stale bread that you have on hand is basically free. It is good
>for filler, feeding birds or the garbage. I sure as heck wouldn't got
>to the effort to make croutons or the expense of buying them just to put
>them into a food processor and turn them into crumbs when I can make
>crumbs with stale bread.

I've never used them in a meatloaf, but if I did I wouldn't turn them
into crumbs and more than I turn the bread I use into crumbs. [I use
some crumbs, too-- but 3-4 slices of white bread, torn up, goes into
my meatloaf]

Jim

Nancy Young

Mar 31, 2012, 11:33:43 AM3/31/12
Rather like recipes that call for jumbo shrimp ... then you chop
them up.

I guess it's the garlic, etc. flavorings that the recipe is looking
for.

nancy

Brooklyn1

Mar 31, 2012, 11:40:03 AM3/31/12

sf

Mar 31, 2012, 2:04:33 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 01:53:55 -0400, Cheryl <jlhs...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I can see how using them could be good in a
> meatloaf if you have extra you need to use up.

*Exactly*! No reason to make or buy them just for meatloaf, but why
not use them if you have some on hand that you'd like to use up?

sf

Mar 31, 2012, 2:05:50 PM3/31/12
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 22:58:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> But croutons are also easy to make. I don't make them here because we don't
> really like them. But when I was staying with my in-laws there was always a
> ton of stale bread because my MIL's sister was working for a bakery and
> always dropped off day old stuff.

If I was in her situation, I'd make them all the time too... but most
of us aren't and making or buying croutons is an unnecessary step.

sf

Mar 31, 2012, 2:07:12 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:32:35 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 30/03/2012 12:50 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Croutons are nothing more than compacted bread crumbs and you know
>
> Not compacted. They are cubed and dried out.

Oh, come on Dave. Work with me here. Go backwards from the crumb
stage.

> > people put bread crumbs in their meatloaf. It's a good way to get rid
> > of leftover bread crumbs I always have an extra package after
> > Thanksgiving. I'm not advocating croutons, I'm just rationalizing it.
>
> True.... stale bread that you have on hand is basically free. It is good
> for filler, feeding birds or the garbage. I sure as heck wouldn't got
> to the effort to make croutons or the expense of buying them just to put
> them into a food processor and turn them into crumbs when I can make
> crumbs with stale bread.

sf

Mar 31, 2012, 2:09:49 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:33:43 -0400, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail>
wrote:

> >> I'd never thought of using croutons. I have a bag that needs using up so
> >> I'm going to try that for my next loaf.
> >>

> > Nor did I. In fact, I had to look at the recipe to check about croutons
> > and who they would go into a meatloaf..... and it gets pulsed in a food
> > processor????? It makes no sense to me. It is a lot of extra work or
> > expense to put into a meatloaf.
>
> Rather like recipes that call for jumbo shrimp ... then you chop
> them up.

Jumbo? Only people who have more money than they know what to do with
would actually follow a recipe like that as written.

Ophelia

Mar 31, 2012, 2:48:26 PM3/31/12

>> True.... stale bread that you have on hand is basically free. It is good
>> for filler, feeding birds or the garbage. I sure as heck wouldn't got
>> to the effort to make croutons or the expense of buying them just to put
>> them into a food processor and turn them into crumbs when I can make
>> crumbs with stale bread.

Same here. I store pieces of stale bread in the freezer and when I have a
enough I break them down into crumbs and dehydrate them. Great for coatings
too.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Jean B.

Mar 31, 2012, 7:07:54 PM3/31/12
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> sf <s...@geemail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:05:24 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Second self from the top, right-hand bookcase, dining room.
>>>
>>> Oh, you mean *your* copy? Sorry, dunno.
>> How do you store your cookbooks? I put collections together. For
>> singles, it's by most often used. I don't have so many that I have to
>> alphabetize them.
>
> The actual organization only somewhat approximates the goal. More-used
> ones live in the shelves near the kitchen, less-used in the overflow in
> the living room. We try to group them by ethnicity, mostly. The big
> categories are Chinese, Mexican, Indian, and American.
>
> Estimating from memory, I think we have about 25 shelf-feet of
> cookbooks.

One can never have too many cookbooks.

Actually, I was at a book sale yesterday, and a woman who
obviously collected cookbooks and I had a short conversation. She
was most pleased to hear that I have thousands of cookbooks,
because she could use that to silence her critics.

--
Jean B.
Message has been deleted

Christine Dabney

Mar 31, 2012, 9:31:11 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:07:54 -0400, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

>One can never have too many cookbooks.
>
>Actually, I was at a book sale yesterday, and a woman who
>obviously collected cookbooks and I had a short conversation. She
>was most pleased to hear that I have thousands of cookbooks,
>because she could use that to silence her critics.
>
>--

I use you and Ginny to silence my critics..LOL. And I have no where
near what you folks have.. maybe less than half of what you and Ginny
have. However, I am running out of bookcase room and I have been
evaluating moving some bookcases around...and using one double
bookcase that I have only partially filled, for cookbooks instead of
the books it now has. I will have to get help to move it thoughl..

I do have some books clustered together, and those aren't necessarily
cookbooks...but more food writing, literature, and such. People like
John Thorne, MFK Fisher, the various biographies of noted food
authorities, memoirs, etc. Those take up a small bookcase in
itself..and I am running out of room for those as well.

Time to get more bookcases, I think.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com
Message has been deleted

Gary

Apr 1, 2012, 9:46:37 AM4/1/12
Andy wrote:
> More shelf space? Step into the 21 century!!!
>
> All your cookbooks are on my iPhone, in my shirt pocket!
>
> Andy

Bah Humbug sometimes on all the new technology! I prefer and will always
prefer real paper books. I've got 7 bookshelves packed to the hilt full of
books. I've read them all at least once and many of them more than once.

I'll buy a book and read it. If it's really good, I keep it. If it's not so
good, I'll donate it somewhere. I keep all the cookbooks though. I don't
compare to Jean B. or Christine's amount of cookbooks...I have approx. 50
cookbooks.

No Kindle for me. I want the REALBOOKs!

Gary

Brooklyn1

Apr 1, 2012, 10:07:35 AM4/1/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:31:11 -0600, Christine Dabney
<arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:07:54 -0400, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
>>One can never have too many cookbooks.
>>
>>Actually, I was at a book sale yesterday, and a woman who
>>obviously collected cookbooks and I had a short conversation. She
>>was most pleased to hear that I have thousands of cookbooks,
>>because she could use that to silence her critics.
>>
>>--
>
>I use you and Ginny to silence my critics..LOL. And I have no where
>near what you folks have.. maybe less than half of what you and Ginny
>have.

Just measured, I've ~30" of cookbooks.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bob Terwilliger

Apr 2, 2012, 12:49:27 AM4/2/12
pavane replied to Captain Peter Swallows:

>> Try some of these......... *damn* good.
>>
>> http://www.taste.com.au/search-recipes/?q=meatloaf+recipes
>
> Ooohhhh, the third group she has posted these to. Thanks, dearie,
> but we don't need another crappy cookbook compendium of your
> garbage. Ta Ta now. Go jump out of a plane.

Yeah, even though Swallows is obviously undiscriminating (not as
undiscriminating as Ruth, though!) it's unbelievable that she would
genuinely think that *everything* on that site is "*damn* good".

You don't suppose Swallows gets PAID for shilling that site, do you?

Bob

Julie Bove

Apr 2, 2012, 6:33:39 PM4/2/12
Bryan wrote:
> On Mar 27, 6:12 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
>> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

>>> Excellent! I love meat loaf. If I had to choose but one food to
>>> subsist on it would be meat loaf. I always make meat loaf with
>>> minimally 5 pounds of meat, plus all the other ingredients... meat
>>> loaf freezes well but since I can eat meat loaf every day (even
>>> three times a day) its very rare that any hits my freezer. Cold
>>> meat loaf sandwich is da bomb... good with just ketchup but
>>> wonderful with horseradish. Meat loaf is very easy to prepare as I
>>> grind all the veggies and bread with the meat. The only ingredient
>>> that doesn't grind well is raw garlic, it's grind but it won't
>>> distribute, so I use granulated. My secret to meat loaf with great
>>> texture is two eggs per pound of meat... and don't forget to grind
>>> in some raw potato, and a bunch of parsley. THIS is a meat loaf:
>>> http://i43.tinypic.com/t0sv2a.jpg
>>
>> I did put potato in mine this time. I normally don't. Since I can't
>> use egg and now I can't use flax, I need to find something else to
>> hold it together. I made individual ones that were too large and
>> they didn't hold very well. If I had made them half that size they
>> probably would have been fine. I also put in zucchini, spinach, a
>> lot of onion, tomato, red bell pepper and baby food squash which was
>> supposed to bind them but really didn't. I use about half meat and
>> half veg. Very tender end result. I hate tough chewy meatloaf. I did
>> put parsley in mine and also oregano.
>>
>> My mom drapes bacon across the top of hers. I don't like it on
>> there. The bacon never really gets crispy. I prefer ketchup or
>> better still HoMade chili sauce on top.
>
> Julie,
> You and Sheldon were made for each other, assuming that you have ample
> breasts, though Sheldon can't really be very picky these days.

I like him. He has cats.

Jean B.

Apr 4, 2012, 9:46:39 PM4/4/12
I know NOTHING about running out of bookcase room--be that room on
the shelves or for the shelves, LOL! And one bookcase that is
definitely out of room is the one for food lit, etc. (I have
exactly the same things in that grouping, by the way.)

Someday, if I have to perform triage, I will keep my Asian books,
antique books, wartime books, and a select few of the other books.
If I had to do this over again, I would concentrate more on
smaller things, which can be very sweet... and which have the
obvious advantage.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Apr 4, 2012, 9:47:22 PM4/4/12
Still... Yes, no ebooks, and especially no ecookbooks.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Apr 4, 2012, 9:47:36 PM4/4/12
That's very concise.

--
Jean B.

Christine Dabney

Apr 4, 2012, 10:50:33 PM4/4/12
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 21:46:39 -0400, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

>I know NOTHING about running out of bookcase room--be that room on
>the shelves or for the shelves, LOL! And one bookcase that is
>definitely out of room is the one for food lit, etc. (I have
>exactly the same things in that grouping, by the way.)
>
>Someday, if I have to perform triage, I will keep my Asian books,
>antique books, wartime books, and a select few of the other books.
> If I had to do this over again, I would concentrate more on
>smaller things, which can be very sweet... and which have the
>obvious advantage.

I just found a group on FB that caters to us, Jean. I joined it
today..and it might be the death of me. It's called Cookbook Junkies.
I have already added a few books to my wish list. Wish me luck...I
am going to HAVE to get more bookshelves. ;)

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Christine Dabney

Apr 4, 2012, 11:04:42 PM4/4/12
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 21:46:39 -0400, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

>I know NOTHING about running out of bookcase room--be that room on
>the shelves or for the shelves, LOL! And one bookcase that is
>definitely out of room is the one for food lit, etc. (I have
>exactly the same things in that grouping, by the way.)

Yes, that grouping is really growing. I love reading those
memoirs..and other food literature. I forgot some in that grouping:
Laurie Colwin. Not sure if you call her books cookbooks or food
literature.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Jean B.

Apr 4, 2012, 11:04:41 PM4/4/12
I have thus far resisted FB. In fact, just had some dealing with
an entity that had slimed ID'd photos onto it.

Have I told you about the group I'm on? Oh, probably if I did, it
was the old version of the group. The new one is:

OurCookBook...@yahoogroups.com

If you have any interest in joining, I will ferret out the
details. It is not as prolific as its predecessor but still nice.

BTW, I have mentioned going to book sales. There are a few
cookbook collectors whom I always ran into. (I won't speak of the
octopuslike dealer and his crew. Bah!) Last year, I asked one of
them over to the house, knowing he would understand the cookbook
thing. We have been having a great time ever since. There is
NOTHING like having a friendship with someone who understands what
you are talking about and who needs no coaching or back story. We
have so much fun! We could talk forever.

--
Jean B.
It is loading more messages.