Do People Still Make Their Own Jams/Jellies?

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 12:47:08 PM7/17/12

I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?

If you do make your own, what kind do you make? What are your favorite
flavors? Have any special recipes to share?

Before my mother died of cancer 5 years ago, she and I would make it
together, but I haven't made it since. Commercial brands just don't have
near the same quality of flavor as homemade. Nothing beats a person's
own raspberry, or strawberry jam. I haven't made a jelly roll since then
either, as not the same with commercial jam, I don't think.

Hubby use to make salmon berry jelly every year, until he was diagnosed
with type 2 Diabetes (it uses 7 cups of sugar per batch). We would often
give it out at Christmas, and everyone seemed tickled to get it. Neither
of us eat much of any kind of jam or jelly anymore, but I do buy it to
bake with, and occasionally will have a open-faced peanut butter
sandwich with some type of jam/jelly on top the p. butter. I use it in
a restaurant, if we are eating breakfast out, and most often I opt for
orange marmalade.

Judy

Boron Elgar

Jul 17, 2012, 1:01:39 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:47:08 -0800, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
wrote:
There are none so blind as those on web-tv.

Boron

Chemo the Clown

Jul 17, 2012, 1:05:26 PM7/17/12
Making jams and jellies was outlawed several years ago.

spamtrap1888

Jul 17, 2012, 1:06:03 PM7/17/12
On Jul 17, 9:47 am, jhaff...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?

Yes

> If you do make your own, what kind do you make? What are your favorite
> flavors? Have any special recipes to share?

Made jam from our sour cherry tree for years, but it's ailing and did
not leaf out this year. I will probably run a batch of peach jam from
our peach tree.

> Before my mother died of cancer 5 years ago, she and I would make it
> together, but I haven't made it since. Commercial brands just don't have
> near the same quality of flavor as homemade. Nothing beats a person's
> own raspberry, or strawberry jam. I haven't made a jelly roll since then
> either, as not the same with commercial jam, I don't think.
>
> Hubby use to make salmon berry jelly every year, until he was diagnosed
> with type 2 Diabetes (it uses 7 cups of sugar per batch). We would often
> give it out at Christmas, and everyone seemed tickled to get it. Neither
> of us eat much of any kind of jam or jelly anymore, but I do buy it to
> bake with, and occasionally will have a open-faced peanut butter
> sandwich with some type of jam/jelly on top the p. butter. I  use it in
> a restaurant, if we are eating breakfast out, and most often I opt for
> orange marmalade.

What do you put on your toast?

Recipes for homemade jams call for more sugar than absolutely
necessary, but are safe. You can make freezer jams with less sugar.
The amount of sugar in homemade wines is adjusted to account for the
sugar in the fruit by use of hydrometers. I wish that functionality
was available for jams.

notbob

Jul 17, 2012, 1:23:33 PM7/17/12
On 2012-07-17, Judy Haffner <jhaf...@webtv.net> wrote:

> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?

Boy, are you ever new!

Tell her, gang. ;)

nb

Doug Freyburger

Jul 17, 2012, 1:36:05 PM7/17/12
Judy Haffner wrote:

> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?

See rec.food.preserving for most of the discussion.

> If you do make your own, what kind do you make? What are your favorite
> flavors? Have any special recipes to share?

About every other year we get bushels of apples, pears, peaches,
strawberries and such to make our own. Still plenty of jars from last
year so we likely won't this year.

sf

Jul 17, 2012, 1:59:28 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:47:08 -0800, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

I made strawberry-Meyer lemon marmalade a few weeks ago and I've been
wanting to make some sort of fancy strawberry jam ever since, but we
keep eating the strawberries before I make the jam so I've decided to
make cranberry-jalapeno jelly instead.

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 1:54:17 PM7/17/12

Boron wrote:

>There are none so blind as those on
> web-tv.

What kind of a stupid-assed comment is that? What does it have to do
with the subject of the thread?

Not that it's any of your damn business, but I also have a computer,
though prefer to access the newsgroups with the WebTV newsreader.

Now...go back and finish your pee-soaked cereal!

Oh, have a nice day.

Judy

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 2:05:52 PM7/17/12

spamtrap1888 wrote:

>Made jam from our sour cherry tree for
> years, but it's ailing and did not leaf out
> this year. I will probably run a batch of
> peach jam from our peach tree.

I've never eaten home made cherry, or peach jam, but I'll bet it would
be delicious. The only trees that do very well here are apple trees. My
grandma use to make the most delicious apple butter from hers. I think
our growing season is too short, maybe too cool and wet for other fruits
to grow well, but always have an abundance of berries that do well
here...strawberries, blueberries (wild) and also wild are the salmon
berries and huckleberries. We've made jam with our rhubarb too and
gooseberries and raspberries.

>What do you put on your toast?

Usually peanut butter and also like cinnamon/sugar on it.

>Recipes for homemade jams call for
> more sugar than absolutely necessary,
> but are safe. You can make freezer
> jams with less sugar. The amount of
> sugar in homemade wines is adjusted to
> account for the sugar in the fruit by use
> of hydrometers. I wish that functionality
> was available for jams.

I'm sure it can be made with sugar substitutes also, but don't like
using anything like that.

Judy

Boron Elgar

Jul 17, 2012, 2:15:06 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:54:17 -0800, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

>Boron wrote:
>
>>There are none so blind as those on
>> web-tv.
>
>What kind of a stupid-assed comment is that? What does it have to do
>with the subject of the thread?

Fuck off, bitch...both you and the horse you rode in on.

And thanks for confirming your ignorance about this group.

>Not that it's any of your damn business, but I also have a computer,
>though prefer to access the newsgroups with the WebTV newsreader.

I have no interest in your electronics other than giving posters a
giggle by me noting the goofy way you access usenet. I am so proud of
you that you have a big gwoen-up's compooter at home, too.

>Now...go back and finish your pee-soaked cereal!

No thanks, sugar.....just because *you're* in Depends, doesn't mean
the rest of us are.

Face it, you're ignorant about the posters here, ignorant of the
medium and using thin-client Usenet access, and then to top it off,
you're just plain ignorant.

Oh, and you're a bitch, too.

Boron

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 2:33:59 PM7/17/12

Boron wrote:

>Oh, and you're a bitch, too.

I'd much rather be a bitch, than an ass-wipe like you!

Now STFU moron!

Judy

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 2:46:02 PM7/17/12

sf wrote:

>I made strawberry-Meyer lemon
> marmalade a few weeks ago and I've
> been wanting to make some sort of
> fancy strawberry jam ever since, but we
> keep eating the strawberries before I
> make the jam so I've decided to make
> cranberry-jalapeno jelly instead.

I've never had those combinations before, but bet they are real good. My
mother use to make a strawberry marmalade with oranges, lemons and
strawberries that was very good and also we made a strawberry-cherry jam
and one with strawberries and fresh or frozen cranberries, which we
liked to make to give out during the holidays.

Judy

gtr

Jul 17, 2012, 2:51:42 PM7/17/12
On 2012-07-17 17:54:17 +0000, Judy Haffner said:

> Boron wrote:
>
>> There are none so blind as those on
>> web-tv.
>
> What kind of a stupid-assed comment is that?

The first of the topic.

ImStillMags

Jul 17, 2012, 2:45:51 PM7/17/12
On Jul 17, 11:15 am, Boron Elgar <boron_el...@hootmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:54:17 -0800, jhaff...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
Boron, are you ok? I've only been here for a short while but I've
not seen you jump on people like this for seemingly no reason.
No, Julie didn't have to come back at you with a nasty retort, but you
must admit you threw the first stone.

I'm a relative newbie and except for Barb Schaller, I haven't seen
much if any posting about jams and jellies either.

I really hate to see rancor and sniping on this board, there is more
than enough of that out there in the real world these days.

Brooklyn1

Jul 17, 2012, 2:52:47 PM7/17/12
notbob wrote:
>Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
>> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?
>
>Boy, are you ever new!
>
>Tell her, gang. ;)

How many ribbons worth? ;)

gtr

Jul 17, 2012, 2:54:48 PM7/17/12
On 2012-07-17 16:47:08 +0000, Judy Haffner said:

> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?

The wife made a valiant attempt to make guava jelly when we had a tree
in the backyard. One of three years really worked and was wonderful.
We took the three out, but she's made to more passes with store-bought
fruit. One worked

We have a couple of berry bushes now that have gone wild and she's
taken a swing at one of those that worked well. She made a pretty good
peach thing a few years back too.

I am not a jam/jelly fan so I have scant opportunity to share her joy
when she succeeds. She sure is a jam/jelly fan though.

> Hubby use to make salmon berry jelly every year...

Is that a seafood or a fruit? If it's a seafood I might be interested!

Brooklyn1

Jul 17, 2012, 2:58:57 PM7/17/12
wrote:

>Boron wrote:
>
>>There are none so blind as those on
>> web-tv.
>
>What kind of a stupid-assed comment is that? What does it have to do
>with the subject of the thread?
>
>Not that it's any of your damn business, but I also have a computer.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... very webtver says that... same as every yugo
driver says their beemer is in the garage. LOL

George M. Middius

Jul 17, 2012, 3:05:33 PM7/17/12
Judy Haffner wrote:

> Now...go back and finish your pee-soaked cereal!

Mmmm! I want you to help design the menus at my cafe. You have that
inventiveness that pushes culinary boundaries.

Kalmia

Jul 17, 2012, 3:06:10 PM7/17/12
Obviously, you have not perused every thread in the last month.
We happen to have a poster here who has truckloads of blue ribbons for
jams etc. She could probably answer any questions you might have.

Janet

Jul 17, 2012, 3:37:16 PM7/17/12
In article <2414-500...@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net>,
jhaf...@webtv.net says...

> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?

When our kids were young and hollow legged, they ate vast amounts of
bread and jam, all of it home made from our garden fruit; plums, damsons,
strawberry and rhubarb.

Now they are away and I don't grow much fruit, I don't bother making
jam but I do make all our marmalade, enough to last a year of breakfasts,
in an annual marathon in January.... several different sorts. This years
were orange, grapefruit, whisky, orange and pineapple, and orange and
lemon.

I also make lemon curd occasionally, maybe a couple of times a year; it
doesnt keep so we eat it fresh.

Janet

Cheri

Jul 17, 2012, 3:44:39 PM7/17/12
"Judy Haffner" <jhaf...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?

My mom used to be a serial canner/jam/jelly maker in the old days, stocking
the bomb shelter I suppose. :-) I will make sugar free refrigerator jam once
in awhile, but that's it. Picked and peeled too much of that stuff as a kid
to want to do much of it now.

Cheri

Ross@home

Jul 17, 2012, 4:15:33 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:47:08 -0800, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

Try over on rec.food.preserving

Brooklyn1

Jul 17, 2012, 4:42:30 PM7/17/12
gtr wrote:

>I am not a jam/jelly fan so I have scant opportunity to share her joy
>when she succeeds. She sure is a jam/jelly fan though.

I'm not much into jams/jellies but I love compote... it's very easy to
make, takes no time at all, no recipe is needed, ingredients are
limited only by ones imagination. Before bothering with say apricot
jam I'd much rather stew up a potful of dried apricots, but I usually
use assorted fruit. And I happen to really like stewed prunes. I
guess I like to see the whole fruits, to me, unless I make it myself,
jam is like mystery meat... but jam/jelly is too much work. And
jams/jellies are too sugary, compote contains nothing but the natural
dried fruit and natural flavorings (citrus, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger,
booze, etc.), no added sugar, no pectin, no nuthin. And dried fruits
present no storage problem,as they are self preserving... I'll make up
a small batch at a time (2-3 qts) and it'll keep fine in the fridge
for several months but It doesn't last that long. And I don't need to
be concerned with temperature, sterilizing, special jars/caps, special
pots, etc. And if you know where to shop dried fruit is rather
inexpensive. Best quality, much better than from the stupidmarket,
products change periodically with crop availability:
http://sunmaidstore.sunmaid.com/
Their dried figs are heaven. I place my orders by phone, sometimes
they suggest products not yet on the web site.

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 4:46:51 PM7/17/12
On 7/17/2012 7:54 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Boron wrote:
>
>> There are none so blind as those on
>> web-tv.
>
> What kind of a stupid-assed comment is that? What does it have to do
> with the subject of the thread?

For some reason, some folks don't care much for posts through web-tv. I
have no idea why. When I think of web-tv, I think of kids getting mom
and dad a system as way for them to get into the wonderful world of
email so they can keep in touch with the grandkids. This is a great
thing - beats the heck out of me what people have against families
staying in touch. I think that they're mean people. That's the breaks.

Tara

Jul 17, 2012, 5:09:55 PM7/17/12
My mother-in-law makes fig preserves every year. The figs come from
our tree. The preserves are very good and keep us in PBJ sandwiches
and jelly toast for most of the year.

Tara

Gary

Jul 17, 2012, 5:16:20 PM7/17/12
Chemo the Clown wrote:

> Making jams and jellies was outlawed several years ago.

Yeah, that's why I quit. ;)

You want something that tastes just like Gramma used to can?
Try Welch's Strawberry Spread. It's got that great taste. :)

Gary

sf

Jul 17, 2012, 5:30:18 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:46:02 -0800, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

I was going to add an herb to the strawberry jam... thyme or basil. I
added fresh thyme to the marmalade, but although I thought I used a
lot - apparently I didn't use enough to make a significant flavor
impact.

Chemo the Clown

Jul 17, 2012, 5:09:23 PM7/17/12
My first intro the the internet was with web-tv. I thought it was
pretty cool. It had its quirks but it did work and we had a blast
surfing and finding all sorts of stuff.

Boron Elgar

Jul 17, 2012, 5:50:30 PM7/17/12
She's been on my case before, and I'll slap her down at every
opportunity.

Really, I love a good teasing, but she's a raving bitch, really, and I
have no qualms about saying it.

>I'm a relative newbie and except for Barb Schaller, I haven't seen
>much if any posting about jams and jellies either.

And...?

>I really hate to see rancor and sniping on this board, there is more
>than enough of that out there in the real world these days.

That is damn all that is left of the group, really. Hate to say it
after damn near 14 years, but 'strue.

Boron

sf

Jul 17, 2012, 5:59:50 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:06:10 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
<tween...@mypacks.net> wrote:

> Obviously, you have not perused every thread in the last month.

Do you?

George Leppla

Jul 17, 2012, 5:59:51 PM7/17/12
On 7/17/2012 4:50 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> >I really hate to see rancor and sniping on this board, there is more
>> >than enough of that out there in the real world these days.

> That is damn all that is left of the group, really. Hate to say it
> after damn near 14 years, but 'strue.

If you are one of the ones fanning the flames, don't bitch about the heat.

George L

gtr

Jul 17, 2012, 6:03:07 PM7/17/12
On 2012-07-17 21:50:30 +0000, Boron Elgar said:

> Really, I love a good teasing, but she's a raving bitch, really, and I
> have no qualms about saying it.

As long as you are getting what you need from a food coking group. Some
believe that If one person doesn't like another, the rest of us should
be willing to listen to them convert the subject matter into a
slap-fight.

So they do.

>> I really hate to see rancor and sniping on this board, there is more
>> than enough of that out there in the real world these days.
>
> That is damn all that is left of the group, really. Hate to say it
> after damn near 14 years, but 'strue.

Well, you sure are doing your part!

gtr

Jul 17, 2012, 6:04:57 PM7/17/12
That's a thought. We have two fig trees and if we are handy with
netting at night to ward off critters, we manage to get plenty. We do
tend to gobble them each morning for breakfast. But even though I'm
not a jam/jelly fan, a preserved fig spread sounds damn good.

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 6:11:02 PM7/17/12
The art of canning/preserving is dying out. The younger generation will
not place much value on grandmas canning supplies and pressure cooker.
Let's face it, fresh food is easily available these days. Even on this
rock in the middle of nowhere, we no longer have to rely on canned foods
and homemade preserves. I've heard old guys say that back in the day,
they lived on canned foods. The food situation back then is the reason
these islands in the Pacific still have a fondness for canned meats that
most mainlanders find peculiar.

I used to make some no-cook strawberry preserves in the late 70s. Mostly
it was because I was really into biscuits and hot milk sponge cake and
fresh strawberry preserves go great with those things. The best time of
my life was sitting in that little nook in that old kitchen in San Bruno
CA with the sunlight streaming in through the open blinds. I remember
talking about the unknown disease that was causing my sister-in-law's
co-workers to waste away in the SF bay area and hearing the news of
Three Mile Island. Awful things for sure but I've never been as relaxed
as I was in those days.

sf

Jul 17, 2012, 6:14:34 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:46:51 -1000, dsi1
<ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> For some reason, some folks don't care much for posts through web-tv. I
> have no idea why. When I think of web-tv, I think of kids getting mom
> and dad a system as way for them to get into the wonderful world of
> email so they can keep in touch with the grandkids. This is a great
> thing - beats the heck out of me what people have against families
> staying in touch. I think that they're mean people. That's the breaks.

It's the people with superiority complexes. They're the ones who like
to brag about how long they've been on the internet, so of course
someone who uses web-tv or AOL is an object of scorn.

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 6:25:38 PM7/17/12
On 7/17/2012 11:09 AM, Chemo the Clown wrote:

> My first intro the the internet was with web-tv. I thought it was
> pretty cool. It had its quirks but it did work and we had a blast
> surfing and finding all sorts of stuff.

Those ads for WebTV may have been a little too white for me but who
could resist those happy, attractive, models of an advanced age taking
such delight in reaching out to the kids through their TV? Certainly not I.

Hell, you'd think that the technodinos would embrace this technology
since it came out about the time of Win98. To tell you the truth, I
didn't know WebTV was still around. My guess is that TVs will be used
more and more to browse the web, not less. I think that the desktop
monitor has a better chance of disappearing. Bold prediction? You bet! :-)

sf

Jul 17, 2012, 6:26:44 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:09:55 -0400, Tara <jarv...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

> My mother-in-law makes fig preserves every year. The figs come from
> our tree. The preserves are very good and keep us in PBJ sandwiches
> and jelly toast for most of the year.

Tara are those figs whole or like a jam? If the figs are whole, I'd
love to see the recipe (if it's on your computer).

Tara

Jul 17, 2012, 6:32:45 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:26:44 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:09:55 -0400, Tara <jarv...@ix.netcom.com>
>wrote:
>
>> My mother-in-law makes fig preserves every year. The figs come from
>> our tree. The preserves are very good and keep us in PBJ sandwiches
>> and jelly toast for most of the year.
>>
>Tara are those figs whole or like a jam? If the figs are whole, I'd
>love to see the recipe (if it's on your computer).

They are whole fig preserves. I'm sorry, I don't have the recipe, but
I hope you can find one you like. I think it is just figs in a sugar
syrup.

Tara

Janet

Jul 17, 2012, 6:34:06 PM7/17/12
In article <ju4nu2$5ot$1...@dont-email.me>, ds...@eternal-september.invalid
says...

> The art of canning/preserving is dying out. The younger generation will
> not place much value on grandmas canning supplies and pressure cooker.
> Let's face it, fresh food is easily available these days. Even on this
> rock in the middle of nowhere, we no longer have to rely on canned foods
> and homemade preserves.

But you live in a year-round growing climate. For people who can only
grow a kitchen garden in a short summer season, it makes sense to preserve
/conserve for winter.

Growing your own food is becoming popular again here, and among a younger
generation

Janet UK

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 6:21:56 PM7/17/12

gtr wrote:

>Is that a seafood or a fruit? If it's a
> seafood I might be interested!

Salmon Berries grow wild, and are very plentiful all over Alaska. They
are good eating right off the bushes, but are best used in jelly. They
are orange, red or yellow in color, and quite tart with LOTS of seeds. A
friend made a pie out of them, but was just a bunch of sweetened baked
seeds when all was said and done.

Judy

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 6:29:46 PM7/17/12

George wrote:

>Mmmm! I want you to help design the
> menus at my cafe. You have that
> inventiveness that pushes culinary
> boundaries.

Sounds like a deal, but how much will you pay me per hour?

I even add a few extra personal touches...a few sprinkles of cinnamon,
some sliced almonds and a few chocolate chips, to give it a little more
of a "gourmet flare". Diners would wild over it...guaranteed! ;-)

Judy

Tara

Jul 17, 2012, 6:35:41 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:04:57 -0700, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:

>That's a thought. We have two fig trees and if we are handy with
>netting at night to ward off critters, we manage to get plenty. We do
>tend to gobble them each morning for breakfast. But even though I'm
>not a jam/jelly fan, a preserved fig spread sounds damn good.

Try it; you'll like it! I think you could get a little fancy with
crostini -- maybe fig preserves and Camembert, goat cheese, or feta?

Tara

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 6:36:29 PM7/17/12
People are feeling smug about using WebTV and AOL? Those curs!

sf

Jul 17, 2012, 6:39:38 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:25:38 -1000, dsi1
<ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> Those ads for WebTV may have been a little too white for me but who
> could resist those happy, attractive, models of an advanced age taking
> such delight in reaching out to the kids through their TV? Certainly not I.

I must not watch the right television channels because I never see
WebTV ads, not even back when it was at its most popular stage. In
fact, I would think it was kaput if Judy and whoever else it is
weren't posting.

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 6:35:59 PM7/17/12

Kalmia wrote:

>Obviously, you have not perused every
> thread in the last month. We happen to
> have a poster here who has truckloads
> of blue ribbons for jams etc. She could
> probably answer any questions you
> might have.

I usually poke my nose in here every day to read new posts, and haven't
seen anything about jam or jelly in any of the subject titles among the
many threads. Perhaps it was brought into discussion in one of the other
threads by a different heading? I don't bother reading posts about
things I'm not particularly interested in, but if had seen any with
jam/jelly in here, I would have taken the time to read them.

Judy

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 6:48:01 PM7/17/12
On 7/17/2012 12:34 PM, Janet wrote:
> In article <ju4nu2$5ot$1...@dont-email.me>, ds...@eternal-september.invalid
> says...
>
>> The art of canning/preserving is dying out. The younger generation will
>> not place much value on grandmas canning supplies and pressure cooker.
>> Let's face it, fresh food is easily available these days. Even on this
>> rock in the middle of nowhere, we no longer have to rely on canned foods
>> and homemade preserves.
>
> But you live in a year-round growing climate. For people who can only
> grow a kitchen garden in a short summer season, it makes sense to preserve
> /conserve for winter.

Land for growing at home is scarce and I think the local don't really
have a history of growing their own food. The old Hawaiians mostly
cultivated taro. My step-mom from Sweden is growing a garden at my
father's house. I doubt that there will be much output nor will she be
canning any of that but it certainly is a novel idea.

If I was to grow anything, it would probably be bananas, mangoes, and
papaya. Those are pretty easy to grow.

> Growing your own food is becoming popular again here, and among a younger
> generation

I think that's a good thing.

> Janet UK

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 6:45:16 PM7/17/12

dsi1 wrote:

>For some reason, some folks don't care
> much for posts through web-tv. I have
> no idea why. When I think of web-tv, I
> think of kids getting mom and dad a
> system as way for them to get into the
> wonderful world of email so they can
> keep in touch with the grandkids. This is
> a great thing - beats the heck out of me
> what people have against families
> staying in touch. I think that they're
> mean people. That's the breaks.

It's just plain stupidity, if you ask me, and shows the level of their
intelligence. My son got me WebTV in '98 for exactly that reason...to
stay in touch with family living elsewhere, as was much cheaper than
phone calls, or even postage. He also got me a Dell Desktop PC 5 years
ago, which I couldn't be without now, but I decided to keep my WebTV
too, as like the free newsreader on it, and I still have a lot of stuff
stored on it, that can't transfer to my computer. Also like the size of
the keyboard for E-mailing. Can sit on my comfy couch, facing my large
flat screen TV with the keyboard on my lap, and the print comes in nice
and large for easy reading. I intend to hang on to it, unless my machine
breaks (they no longer manufacture them) of WebTV fazes out...whichever
comes first.

Judy

Boron Elgar

Jul 17, 2012, 6:50:51 PM7/17/12
Sweetie, I have seen it all come and go and come and go and come and
go around here for a long, long time. I had little kids when I first
found this place. I am damn near retirement now. And I am by no means
one of the originals in this group.

I am not here for your benefit - honestly, I am not - nothing personal
intended there, really, but I have a hefty KF and I use it well. I
read only those posters who are friends and make me feel good or those
who dazzle me either with their wit and expertise or their utter
ass-holery. There is rarely an intersection of those two sets. I have
a fuel-filled flame thrower and I use it whenever I think something
needs to be taken down to the ground.

You have every right to take and give exactly what you want to in this
group. What you do, what you want, what you seek, what you like here -
it is all irrelevant to me.

I despise netcops, liars, posters who vomit up cut and paste crap or
"facts" for which neither they nor God have evidence, bigots, sexists
and jerk-offs. If you do not fit in those categories, I may get to the
end of reading one of your posts some time.

I have no time for the Island of Misfit Toys, either. There are some
drooling loons here who post like they have Usenet dysentery. I ain't
interested. I am not a therapist and even if I were, these guys are
beyond all help.

I think of this place like a cable box...lots and lots of channels,
but not a fucking thing in this world will ever get me to watch Fox
News or the CW. Get it?

Boron

Boron Elgar

Jul 17, 2012, 6:51:43 PM7/17/12
I love the heat, my dear. I was simply stating fact.

Boron

sf

Jul 17, 2012, 6:55:32 PM7/17/12
No, they're feeling smug about *not* using WebTV or AOL.

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 6:52:08 PM7/17/12

Tara wrote:

>My mother-in-law makes fig preserves
> every year.   The figs come from our
> tree. The preserves are very good and
> keep us in PBJ sandwiches and jelly
> toast for most of the year.

Now that really does sound good! Is something I've never tasted, but am
sure I would like it. I love baked items using figs, and have always
liked Nabisco Fig Newtons (the original ones).

Judy

sf

Jul 17, 2012, 7:01:34 PM7/17/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:32:45 -0400, Tara <jarv...@ix.netcom.com>
Okay, thanks. My mother used to make preserved figs too, but they had
some spices in there too. Unfortunately, I don't know what and she
lost the recipe so she wasn't able to pass it on when I became
interested in doing it myself.

Chemo the Clown

Jul 17, 2012, 7:01:41 PM7/17/12
Apple said today that they have a screen coming out that will respond
to touch as well as the keyboard. We live in an amazing time!

Brooklyn1

Jul 17, 2012, 7:02:35 PM7/17/12
She's a true passive aggressive (only pretends to be pleasant, every
one of her posts is an entrapment), exhibits zero humor, and is
extremely ignorant, contributes nothing of value... not really worth
getting all hot under the collar about or stooping to her level.

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 7:02:31 PM7/17/12
I don't recall where I saw it. Family magazines probably. Maybe even PC
mags - the idea being the the reader would buy his parents this box.

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 7:23:52 PM7/17/12
Thanks for clarification. That makes a lot more sense!

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 7:47:29 PM7/17/12
Going on the web through a TV set seems like a good idea. I tried to do
it once but couldn't get it to look right from 10'. I also used a
wireless keyboard that was too small. All in all, it was a fail.

Anyway I'm glad you're happy with your setup. I think it doesn't matter
much how you get here - Google Groups, WebTV, or some 90s newsreader.
Only a Mr. Bungle would care about that. :-)

> Judy

Kalmia

Jul 17, 2012, 7:59:09 PM7/17/12
On Jul 17, 6:11 pm, dsi1 <d...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> The art of canning/preserving is dying out. The younger generation will
> not place much value on grandmas canning supplies and pressure cooker.

We need to change 'grandma' to 'great grandmas' in our references to
nearly lost knowledge. A lot of the grandmothers I know are strictly
Hamburger Helper cooks.

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 8:09:25 PM7/17/12
This is true. I was hoping nobody would catch that. :-)

merryb

Jul 17, 2012, 8:24:34 PM7/17/12
LOL- don't be a Mr. Bungle!

Momma Raider

Jul 17, 2012, 8:31:07 PM7/17/12
Judy, As a proud Webby, if you ever need new equipment just email
moonshine gary at moonsh...@webtv.net. He has everything you might
need and is completely reliable. Long live Webtv

dsi1

Jul 17, 2012, 8:40:06 PM7/17/12
On 7/17/2012 2:24 PM, merryb wrote:

> LOL- don't be a Mr. Bungle!

Holy smokes! Juno! I used to use Juno way back when and it was a good
and free email service. Free is a good thing. I guess that it really
wasn't free but the price was worth it, whatever it was. I found Juno
useful. :-)

gtr

Jul 17, 2012, 9:08:48 PM7/17/12
Hell I'll eat my thumb if there's some good camembert on it...

gtr

Jul 17, 2012, 9:11:42 PM7/17/12
Not to pull things of topic, but I've made a few menus. Mostly it was
"my dream restaurant" comprised of a number of my wives excellent
dishes, and some that we go specific places to find, but wouldn't cook.

It might as well be fantasy football...

gtr

Jul 17, 2012, 9:33:39 PM7/17/12
On 2012-07-17 22:50:51 +0000, Boron Elgar said:

> Sweetie,

Sheesh! That's a good way to set your "tone".

> I have seen it all come and go and come and go and come and
> go around here for a long, long time. I had little kids when I first
> found this place. I am damn near retirement now. And I am by no means
> one of the originals in this group.

Yeah, me too!

> I am not here for your benefit - honestly, I am not - nothing personal
> intended there, really, but I have a hefty KF and I use it well.

I agree.

> I read only those posters who are friends and make me feel good or those
> who dazzle me either with their wit and expertise or their utter
> ass-holery. There is rarely an intersection of those two sets. I have
> a fuel-filled flame thrower and I use it whenever I think something
> needs to be taken down to the ground.

Me too. That's why I hate to have to deal with people who just attack
one another off topic and unrelated, because of some bad blood or other
form of anti-dazzlement. Then I have to make a decision over whether
this person has a *need* to stink up the area for others when it's not
really necessary. Then if I have to kill file them if they are too
hysterical. I just want to have pleasant discussions too.

Sure, there seem to be plenty of feuds hereabouts, but that's a poor
justification for off-topic personal attack.

> I despise netcops, liars, posters who vomit up cut and paste crap or
> "facts" for which neither they nor God have evidence, bigots, sexists
> and jerk-offs. If you do not fit in those categories, I may get to the
> end of reading one of your posts some time.

Dang you really pose mean.

> I have no time for the Island of Misfit Toys, either. There are some
> drooling loons here who post like they have Usenet dysentery. I ain't
> interested. I am not a therapist and even if I were, these guys are
> beyond all help.
>
> I think of this place like a cable box...lots and lots of channels,
> but not a fucking thing in this world will ever get me to watch Fox
> News or the CW. Get it?

I get it, alright. You have lots of opinions about assholes, their
nature and their various qualities, and you act on your emotional
the logic to feel good rolling around in it.

I saw the first post here and saw your response, and then your
justification. It was all very weak and small. You seem to have a
sizeable chip on your shoulder that has you bringing your judgemental
angst with you wherever you go.

I'm glad I don't have any axes to grind. That must make the whole day
kind of a drag.

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 9:37:25 PM7/17/12
Yes, thank you! I have seen Gary's posts on discussion groups concerning
WebTV's, and I think I've personally exchanged a few E-mails with him
about printers, so I definitely will keep him in mind.

Judy

Farm1

Jul 17, 2012, 9:45:00 PM7/17/12
"Judy Haffner" <jhaf...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?

Yep, I still do. And yesterday I mentioned that I'd made Haw Jelly in my
copper Jam pan - I posted aobut this in the copper cleaning thread.

> If you do make your own, what kind do you make?

My all time favourite jelly would be quince jelly but I make all sorts of
jam when I have access to fruit eg, blackberry jam, raspberry jam, crabapple
jelly, marmalade.

Dave Smith

Jul 17, 2012, 10:00:02 PM7/17/12
On 17/07/2012 12:47 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?
>
> If you do make your own, what kind do you make? What are your favorite
> flavors? Have any special recipes to share?

I make my own jam. I don't use much anymore, and have a considerable
stash in the cellar. The only jam I made this year was strawberry. My
son was visiting and wanted a lesson on jam making.

gloria p

Jul 17, 2012, 10:04:28 PM7/17/12
On 7/17/2012 10:47 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I don't think I've ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?

A number of people here do, but they usually discuss it in the
rec.food.preserving newsgroup.

> If you do make your own, what kind do you make? What are your favorite
> flavors? Have any special recipes to share?

Apricots from our own trees the few years we get a crop.
I've also made nectarine, peach, Concord grape, and freezer-style
strawberry. The fig jam I made a few years ago was disappointing, like
dried figs, compared to the fresh fruit.

When we were in Germany recently I bought a jar of elderflower-lemon
jelly. It is so delicious! Too late here for elderflowers but I'm
hoping to make some next spring.

gloria p

Farm1

Jul 17, 2012, 10:04:27 PM7/17/12
"Janet" <H...@invalid.net> wrote in message
> In article <ju4nu2$5ot$1...@dont-email.me>, ds...@eternal-september.invalid
> says...
>
>> The art of canning/preserving is dying out. The younger generation will
>> not place much value on grandmas canning supplies and pressure cooker.
>> Let's face it, fresh food is easily available these days. Even on this
>> rock in the middle of nowhere, we no longer have to rely on canned foods
>> and homemade preserves.
>
> But you live in a year-round growing climate. For people who can only
> grow a kitchen garden in a short summer season, it makes sense to preserve
> /conserve for winter.
>
> Growing your own food is becoming popular again here, and among a younger
> generation

Yup. The younger generation who seem to have discovered cooking of all
types are like newly converted Christians. "Hallelujah Brother, I've just
found my stove!"

Farm1

Jul 17, 2012, 10:13:07 PM7/17/12
"gtr" <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote in message

> I just want to have pleasant discussions too.

Not from what I've seen of your posts.

If you want to have 'pleasant discussions' then you would not choose to use
words like 'asshole', 'disrespect', 'fart in the wind', 'bad-faith snarl',
'self absorbed idiot'. They were your choice of words in your responses to
anything and everything I wrote in the LCD thread even though I used no bad
language to you, and was posting about my own thoughts and experiences.

> You seem to have a sizeable chip on your shoulder that has you bringing
> your judgemental angst with you wherever you go.

That perfectly describes your chips ridden shoulder as shown in your posting
history in responding to me in the LCD thread.

z z

Jul 17, 2012, 10:44:53 PM7/17/12
I drop in from a computer now and then to catch up on replies-there
isn't anything offensive that I can see in a webtv post vs a computer
post and certainly no need for copious quoting :-)

I think webtv had a bad rep once upon a time related to spam and viruses
for computer users in newsgroups. I have had mine for 15 yrs and still
love it though I am sad that Microsoft bought Webtv and stifled it
rather than continuing to enhance it. Their most recent upgrade this
past year ties our webtv email accounts to hotmail accounts but that
doesn't help us with all the websites we can no longer use. Remember the
Lazy Boy/Webtv commercial with William Shatner?

My mother canned but never made jam/jelly-though her cranberrie relish
at Thanksgiving sure resembled it. I am curious about the process-I
assume one could use Stevia with same results?

Also, have any of you ever seen a banana jam/jelly/spread/syrup/etc?
That would be good but I have never seen the likes yet it seems like a
nobrainer-what am I missing?

ps I use my flat screen with my laptop (hdmi ports) and its a beautiful
thing but it is true once I get more than 6feet away I start to have
vision issues and keyboard issues. I need a bigger tv and a signal
booster for the keyboard :-)

Judy Haffner

Jul 17, 2012, 10:41:55 PM7/17/12

gloria p wrote:

>A number of people here do, but they
> usually discuss it in the
> rec.food.preserving newsgroup.

The first I'd ever heard of that group was in this thread today, so
didn't know it even existed, or anything about it, but jams/jellies seem
like a perfectly good subject to discuss in a cooking-food group.

>Apricots from our own trees the few
> years we get a crop. I've also made
> nectarine, peach, Concord grape, and
> freezer-style strawberry. The fig jam I
> made a few years ago was
> disappointing, like dried figs, compared
> to the fresh fruit.

I've never tasted homemade grape jam/jelly, but get that would be good.
Do you mix anything in with the apricots? I have bought the
apricot-pineapple for cookies and it's very good.

>When we were in Germany recently I
> bought a jar of elderflower-lemon jelly. It
> is so delicious! Too late here for
> elderflowers but I'm hoping to make
> some next spring.

I'm sure that would tart and tasty. My mother use to make elderberry
jelly, but it wasn't a favorite of mine.

Judy

spamtrap1888

Jul 17, 2012, 11:11:08 PM7/17/12
On Jul 17, 3:48 pm, dsi1 <d...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
> On 7/17/2012 12:34 PM, Janet wrote:
>
> > In article <ju4nu2$5o...@dont-email.me>, d...@eternal-september.invalid
> > says...
>
> >> The art of canning/preserving is dying out. The younger generation will
> >> not place much value on grandmas canning supplies and pressure cooker.
> >> Let's face it, fresh food is easily available these days. Even on this
> >> rock in the middle of nowhere, we no longer have to rely on canned foods
> >> and homemade preserves.
>
> >    But you live in a year-round growing climate. For people who can only
> > grow a kitchen garden in a short summer season, it makes sense to preserve
> > /conserve for winter.
>
> Land for growing at home is scarce and I think the local don't really
> have a history of growing their own food. The old Hawaiians mostly
> cultivated taro. My step-mom from Sweden is growing a garden at my
> father's house. I doubt that there will be much output nor will she be
> canning any of that but it certainly is a novel idea.

When we were staying on Kauai years ago, we saw a lot of vegetable
gardens next to houses. I particularly recall green beans for some
reason. Of course at that time vegetable seed growing was a big
business there.

After a trip to the Big Save market, where I realized almost all the
food came from the mainland, I understood why.

> If I was to grow anything, it would probably be bananas, mangoes, and
> papaya. Those are pretty easy to grow.

The Hawaii papaya is well known for its ripe eating qualities.

Regarding canned meat: a friend worked in Samoa for a couple of
years.. She was amazed at the popularity of tinned corned beef. The
ones "with extra fat" were preferred.

spamtrap1888

Jul 17, 2012, 11:13:15 PM7/17/12
The mention of WebTV reminds me of the Cidco MailStation, designed for
folks who didn't have/want a computer, yet wanted to receive email and
such attachments as kid photos:

http://www.amazon.com/EarthLink-Mailstation-Cidco-E-mail-Appliance/dp/B00001WRJS

gtr

Jul 17, 2012, 11:23:39 PM7/17/12
On 2012-07-18 02:13:07 +0000, Farm1 said:

> If you want to have 'pleasant discussions' then you would not choose to
> use words like 'asshole', 'disrespect', 'fart in the wind', 'bad-faith
> snarl', 'self absorbed idiot'.

Some of these were ill-chosen on my part, others, e.g. "bad-faith
snarl", were accurate descriptions of interaction. But that's what you
get with combative discussions. Naughty words are not the whole of it,
you see. Antagonism, turning every aspect of a discussion into a
semantic cul-de-sac, bad-faith "discussion", being disrespectful of
others: One can do all these things with out saying "fart" and "idiot".

> They were your choice of words in your responses to anything and
> everything I wrote in the LCD thread even though I used no bad language
> to you, and was posting about my own thoughts and experiences.

I apologize for that. I attempt to avoid such things, not so much
because I care about mean-spirited people, but because it's a headache
and I always feel shitty about it (You can put "shitty" in your "list
of crimes" for future reference.) But I make poor decisions. I
identified quickly your stance on the topic but found it mean-spirited
and critical of others, and so used emotion instead of logic to make a
bad decision and responded.

> That perfectly describes your chips ridden shoulder as shown in your
> posting history in responding to me in the LCD thread.

I don't think you understand what the expression "a chip on your
shoulder" means. I simply disagreed with you and disagreed with your
judgement of others--if I recall correctly.

zxcvbob

Jul 17, 2012, 11:38:38 PM7/17/12
Judy Haffner wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>
>> Obviously, you have not perused every
>> thread in the last month. We happen to
>> have a poster here who has truckloads
>> of blue ribbons for jams etc. She could
>> probably answer any questions you
>> might have.
>
> I usually poke my nose in here every day to read new posts, and haven't
> seen anything about jam or jelly in any of the subject titles among the
> many threads. Perhaps it was brought into discussion in one of the other
> threads by a different heading? I don't bother reading posts about
> things I'm not particularly interested in, but if had seen any with
> jam/jelly in here, I would have taken the time to read them.
>
> Judy

You're in the wrong newsgroup. Try rec.food.preserving. Sometimes
canning and preserving threads spill over to r.f.c (like the annual
Barb's Blue Ribbon Report) but mostly they are in r.f.p

Bob

sf

Jul 18, 2012, 12:24:09 AM7/18/12
Oh, okay. I don't subscribe to or read "family" magazines anymore and
of course I don't subscribe to anything in a technical field.

sf

Jul 18, 2012, 12:29:30 AM7/18/12
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:47:29 -1000, dsi1
<ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> Going on the web through a TV set seems like a good idea. I tried to do
> it once but couldn't get it to look right from 10'. I also used a
> wireless keyboard that was too small. All in all, it was a fail.

Not that I know anything about the subject, but it seems to me that
you can go online with an "internet ready tv" these days.

sf

Jul 18, 2012, 12:30:50 AM7/18/12
I know someone who still uses it. W/O her, I bet it would be a thing
of the past.

Farm1

Jul 18, 2012, 1:13:07 AM7/18/12
"spamtrap1888" <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Regarding canned meat: a friend worked in Samoa for a couple of
years.. She was amazed at the popularity of tinned corned beef. The
ones "with extra fat" were preferred.
____________________________________
:-)) Big is beautiful in Samoa. I have a friend who is huge - as big as
the back end of a bus (she's also very happily married).

She worked in Samoa for a few months and it did wonders for her self
confidence as she was constantly told how beautiful she was and asked out on
dates.

Judy Haffner

Jul 18, 2012, 1:32:40 AM7/18/12

Bob wrote:

>You're in the wrong newsgroup. Try
> rec.food.preserving. Sometimes canning
> and preserving threads spill over to r.f.c
> (like the annual Barb's Blue Ribbon
> Report) but mostly they are in r.f.p

If this group is to discuss cooking and food, then no, I'm not in the
wrong discussion group, because making jam and jelly fits into that
category. As I said in a earlier post, I'd never heard of the
rec.food.preserving group until in this thread today. I think if deaths
of celebrities, weather, and other off topics can be discussed in here,
I'm actually more on topic with this thread than some. That's why I
started posting here last fall in the first place, because it was about
cooking, food, etc., for which I have always had a passion for, and for
the most part I have enjoyed it, and gotten some good tips.

Judy

Roy

Jul 18, 2012, 2:32:45 AM7/18/12
to adavid...@sympatico.ca
On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:00:02 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 17/07/2012 12:47 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
> &gt;
> &gt; I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever read any posts in here in regards to making jam
> &gt; or jelly, so I just wondered if anybody in here does that?
> &gt;
> &gt; If you do make your own, what kind do you make? What are your favorite
> &gt; flavors? Have any special recipes to share?
>
> I make my own jam. I don&#39;t use much anymore, and have a considerable
> stash in the cellar. The only jam I made this year was strawberry. My
> son was visiting and wanted a lesson on jam making.

I haven't made any jams or jellies this year but in the past have done so
using wild berries such as wild gooseberries, wild black currants, wild red
currants, saskatoons (service-berries), pin cherries,
sand-cherries, chokecherries and wild blueberries. A learning experience for
sure but well worth doing.
Also have used tame raspberries, strawberries and crab apples.

Janet

Jul 18, 2012, 5:25:59 AM7/18/12
In article <aa4686cd-019d-429f-9f5d-
30a674...@vb9g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>, bhans...@yahoo.com says...

> Apple said today that they have a screen coming out that will respond
> to touch as well as the keyboard. We live in an amazing time!

I've seen touch-screens in action and they are amazing; and of course
voice-interactive and motion-activated sensors are already here.

Our grandchildren will look back at our fumbling around with manual
keyboards/switches/cooker controls/taps/flushes and shake their heads in
disbelief.

Janet UK

Janet

Jul 18, 2012, 5:28:52 AM7/18/12
In article <ju4q39$h4k$1...@dont-email.me>, ds...@eternal-september.invalid
says...

> On 7/17/2012 12:34 PM, Janet wrote:
> > In article <ju4nu2$5ot$1...@dont-email.me>, ds...@eternal-september.invalid
> > says...
> >
> >> The art of canning/preserving is dying out. The younger generation will
> >> not place much value on grandmas canning supplies and pressure cooker.
> >> Let's face it, fresh food is easily available these days. Even on this
> >> rock in the middle of nowhere, we no longer have to rely on canned foods
> >> and homemade preserves.
> >
> > But you live in a year-round growing climate. For people who can only
> > grow a kitchen garden in a short summer season, it makes sense to preserve
> > /conserve for winter.
>
> Land for growing at home is scarce and I think the local don't really
> have a history of growing their own food. The old Hawaiians mostly
> cultivated taro. My step-mom from Sweden is growing a garden at my
> father's house. I doubt that there will be much output nor will she be
> canning any of that but it certainly is a novel idea.
>
> If I was to grow anything, it would probably be bananas, mangoes, and
> papaya. Those are pretty easy to grow.

sobbing with envy

Janet

dsi1

Jul 18, 2012, 5:45:19 AM7/18/12
On 7/17/2012 6:29 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:47:29 -1000, dsi1
> <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Going on the web through a TV set seems like a good idea. I tried to do
>> it once but couldn't get it to look right from 10'. I also used a
>> wireless keyboard that was too small. All in all, it was a fail.
>
> Not that I know anything about the subject, but it seems to me that
> you can go online with an "internet ready tv" these days.

The irony is that we will be using our TVs as a computer. I tried to run
my computer using the TV as a monitor but heck, we don't really need a
computer. All we're going to need is a TV with a browser and an internet
connection.

dsi1

Jul 18, 2012, 5:53:22 AM7/18/12
It's great stuff. I should really eat more of it.

> Regarding canned meat: a friend worked in Samoa for a couple of
> years.. She was amazed at the popularity of tinned corned beef. The
> ones "with extra fat" were preferred.

I've run across a couple of cans like that. Ugh. I've got a can of Palm
corned beef which is popular in Samoa but I'm afraid to open that thing. :-)

dsi1

Jul 18, 2012, 6:14:02 AM7/18/12
On 7/17/2012 5:11 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> Regarding canned meat: a friend worked in Samoa for a couple of
> years.. She was amazed at the popularity of tinned corned beef. The
> ones "with extra fat" were preferred.

The locals in Hawaii like Libby, McNeill & Libby corned beef but that
stuff has gone way downhill in quality. It's all caulky and pasty - if
you can imagine that. On second thought, better not try. My guess is
that a Samoan would probably chuck that into the sea or bury it.

Janet

Jul 18, 2012, 6:20:33 AM7/18/12
In article <ju55jj$c0h$1...@dont-email.me>, He...@there.sometimes says...
I wish they'd hurry up and find the holy grail of proper ergonomic
kitchen equipment. I hate working in my kids' kitchens. It's a choice of
either, stove-top, camping kit or daft electronic gadgets. The other day I
started preparing a casserole only to discover they don't have a covered
casserole dish because they " are too busy and don't have time to do long
slow cooking". (strange, when I was a frantic working mother we almost
lived on long slow cooking).

Luckily I remembered at our last housemove, I had passed on my largest
and heaviest Le Creuset to the inheritors; finally located it gathering
dust in their garage.

Janet.

Janet

Jul 18, 2012, 6:26:13 AM7/18/12
In article <394-5005...@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net>,
jhaf...@webtv.net says...

> Kalmia wrote:
>
> >Obviously, you have not perused every
> > thread in the last month. We happen to
> > have a poster here who has truckloads
> > of blue ribbons for jams etc. She could
> > probably answer any questions you
> > might have.
>
> I usually poke my nose in here every day to read new posts, and haven't
> seen anything about jam or jelly in any of the subject titles among the
> many threads.

Well, it says much that you have missed every posts by or about a
popular regular poster for many years, whose famed prizewinning preserves
are often mentioned on rfc.Very recently there was a link posted to a
cookery magazine article about Barb and her prizewinning preserves and a
thread discussing it.

I suppose you don't have the software to search the group for keywords?
Very useful for looking up old topics or recipes. Searching rfc with the
keyword "jam" produced over 19,000 posts containing that word ."jelly"
produced 16,000 posts. And you missed every single one? Amazing.

Janet.

Boron Elgar

Jul 18, 2012, 7:19:31 AM7/18/12
Accessing Usenet with a thin client such as webtv does not provide the
reading/browsing/posting capabilities that decent newsreaders provide.

Boron

zxcvbob

Jul 18, 2012, 8:01:33 AM7/18/12
Judy Haffner wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>> You're in the wrong newsgroup. Try rec.food.preserving. Sometimes
>> canning and preserving threads spill over to r.f.c (like the annual
>> Barb's Blue Ribbon Report) but mostly they are in r.f.p
>
> no, I'm not in the wrong discussion group...
>
> Judy

Okay, suit yourself.

Janet Bostwick

Jul 18, 2012, 8:34:48 AM7/18/12
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:20:33 +0100, Janet <H...@invalid.net> wrote:
snip

> Luckily I remembered at our last housemove, I had passed on my largest
>and heaviest Le Creuset to the inheritors; finally located it gathering
>dust in their garage.
>
> Janet.
:O)
Janet US
Message has been deleted

Janet

Jul 18, 2012, 8:43:22 AM7/18/12
In article <50068b3a$0$22189$882e...@usenet-news.net>, dsi1@usenet-
news.net says...
Is fresh fish as cheap and/or popular?

Janet

news

Jul 18, 2012, 8:57:25 AM7/18/12

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

> The art of canning/preserving is dying out.

It waxes and wanes. It had an upswing in the 70's, and is growing again,
along with the increase in home gardening.

notbob

Jul 18, 2012, 9:08:15 AM7/18/12
On 2012-07-18, Janet <H...@invalid.net> wrote:

> Luckily I remembered at our last housemove, I had passed on my largest
> and heaviest Le Creuset to the inheritors; finally located it gathering
> dust in their garage.

Ack!

I used to keep mine in our little detached shed, but got tired of
carrying it back and forth. It now resides on the kitchen counter
within easy reach. I don't use my iron skillet anymore, but my Big
Orange and my pressue cooker are never out of my sight.

nb

notbob

Jul 18, 2012, 9:13:36 AM7/18/12
On 2012-07-18, Janet <H...@invalid.net> wrote:
> In article <ju4q39$h4k$1...@dont-email.me>, ds...@eternal-september.invalid

>> If I was to grow anything, it would probably be bananas, mangoes, and
>> papaya. Those are pretty easy to grow.

> sobbing with envy

LOL!....

Yeah, but don't fergit, Janet, that comes with SPIDERS! 8o

nb
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
It is loading more messages.