OT: Corkscrew for Charles Shaw wines?

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 5:39:38 PM4/16/11
Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
months.

I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will easily
"worm" into a very dense cork.

Thanks for any ideas,

Kent

*Two Buck Chuck, from Trader Jose's

KevinS

Apr 16, 2011, 5:52:02 PM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 2:39 pm, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> Charles Shaw wines*.

I just use a waiter's type cork pull with a hinged claw. It works
easily every time and - notwithstanding concerns I've heard here
before - it has never chipped the bottle's glass lip. I think I
bought
it at Trader Joe's for less than $5.

Bryan

Apr 16, 2011, 6:04:39 PM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 4:39 pm, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
> usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> months.

I wish they'd quit putting those "corks" into cheap wine bottles.
It's stupid.

> Kent

--Bryan

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 6:05:12 PM4/16/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:39:38 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
wrote:

Are you talking about synthetic corks? The "real" corks I have
trouble with are usually too long. When it's too long, I worry about
it breaking before I can get it out. I can reset the corkscrew and
start over on the broken part that's still in the bottle, but I can't
put the cork back together again.

notbob

Apr 16, 2011, 6:09:39 PM4/16/11
On 2011-04-16, Kent <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
> usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> months.

The teflon on the worm wears off and they become useless.

> I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will easily
> "worm" into a very dense cork.

I've tried about every type of corkscrew you can imagine. Leverage,
Screwpulls, nitrogen needles, tablemount, etc. The best I've ever
used is a solid brass wing-type corkscrew. I didn't find any new ones
on the web, so you may hafta look around on ebay or garage sales. The
one I have will penetrate any cork, be it dense, synthetic, plastic,
etc, then pulls cork effortlessly. There are a lotta really cheapo
versions that are junk. Hold out for a heavy duty SOLID brass one.
You'll be able to tell the difference.

I can't get 2$CHK anymore, but know how tuff they can be. I once pulled a
shoulder muscle using a common manual corkscrew on the damn things. My
brass wing corkscrew makes short work of 'em.

nb

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 6:18:52 PM4/16/11

"notbob" <not...@notbob.invalid> wrote in message
How long has the "screw wire" held up; does it work with the very dense
Charles Shaw cork. All the corkscrews under $30 other than the Screwpull
have a "screw wire" that is not wide enough, and the wire is too thick for
the very dense Charles Shaw cork. As I mentioned above, the two Screwpulls
we have had both cracked.

Kent

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 6:20:09 PM4/16/11

"KevinS" <shee...@aol.com> wrote in message

The waiter's corkscrew works but with difficulty on the dense cork. I have
chipped the glass lip several times.

Kent

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 6:20:07 PM4/16/11

They save screw tops for the high priced stuff.

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 6:29:53 PM4/16/11

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
I think the Shaw cork is a true cork, though I could be wrong. I have a fair
cellar of old wines with long old corks. I recently uncorked a 1966 Bordeaux
and got the cork out in one piece.

Always rinse the top of the cork to get a very slight bit of moisture
between the bottle and the cork. Let the bottle sit a bit after you do
this.
Start with the "Ah So" cork remover.
http://www.winestuff.com/acatalog/AH___SO_Cork_Puller_Double_Prong.html
These are available anywhere.

Gently rock the Ah So into the bottle as far as you can. If you start with a
moist top as above everything will be easier. Rotate the Ah So so the entire
cork rotates. At this point use the regular corkscrew to remove the whole
cork in one piece.

Kent

zxcvbob

Apr 16, 2011, 6:38:29 PM4/16/11
Kent wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
> usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> months.
>
> I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will easily
> "worm" into a very dense cork.

Is the worm on your corkscrew actually a spiral -- looks like a coil
spring and is open in the middle? Or is it more of a wood screw with a
fast thread? (solid center with the thread wrapped around it)

I've seen both kinds on various-priced corkscrews. The former works
just fine on dense corks, the latter doesn't.

-Bob

Bryan

Apr 16, 2011, 6:38:55 PM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 5:20 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:04:39 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 16, 4:39 pm, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> > > Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
> > > usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> > > openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> > > months.
>
> > I wish they'd quit putting those "corks" into cheap wine bottles.
> > It's stupid.
>
> They save screw tops for the high priced stuff.

The last wine tasting I went to there were quite a few in the $10-$15
range that had screw tops.

--Bryan

Mark Thorson

Apr 16, 2011, 7:55:25 PM4/16/11
zxcvbob wrote:

> Is the worm on your corkscrew actually a spiral -- looks like a coil
> spring and is open in the middle? Or is it more of a wood screw with a
> fast thread? (solid center with the thread wrapped around it)
>
> I've seen both kinds on various-priced corkscrews. The former works
> just fine on dense corks, the latter doesn't.

I think he was complaining about the corkscrew
breaking, which the coil type can do. The type
with a solid web won't break, but will be harder
to screw into the cork because you're pushing
more material out of the way.

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 6:55:10 PM4/16/11

"zxcvbob" <zxc...@charter.net> wrote in message
I think the corkscrew "worm" refers to the spiral coil open in the center. I
just discovered this. I think it's a great term. One of the corkscrews on
the internet came with the common foil cutter, with an extra "worm".

We need a better worm.

Kent

Mark Thorson

Apr 16, 2011, 8:08:27 PM4/16/11
Kent wrote:

> I think the corkscrew "worm" refers to the spiral coil open in the center. I
> just discovered this. I think it's a great term. One of the corkscrews on
> the internet came with the common foil cutter, with an extra "worm".
>
> We need a better worm.

A worm doesn't have to be a coil. Worm refers
to the threads. The web is the part in the center,
which a coil lacks.

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 7:12:13 PM4/16/11

"Mark Thorson" <nos...@sonic.net> wrote in message
It's the plastic body of the Screwpull that broke twice.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=screwpull+cork+screw&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3051858461&ref=pd_sl_7nn03msvl4_e
unfortunate, as it's an excellent product. The wire spiral on the worm is
excellent for getting to both dense Charles Shaw corks and for fragile old
corks. The fine wire and the increase diameter of the worm is indispensible
for an old cork. In the link above, note the placement "worm". That should
make your day.

Kent

,no worming till after 6PM

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 7:31:57 PM4/16/11

"notbob" <not...@notbob.invalid> wrote in message
No 2$CHK! That would be stressful. What do you have to replace it? Recently,
I tried the 3 liter box of Almaden California Chardonnay. It is strikinglly
inferior. There's no fruit.

I was just picking the bottle of Charles Shaw Merlot off our breakfast room
wine rack for tonight's ham, and underneath was my last bottle of 1970
Chateau Latour. Today it's worth about $500.

Kent
,lets hear it for 2$Chuck

notbob

Apr 16, 2011, 7:37:02 PM4/16/11
On 2011-04-16, Kent <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:

> How long has the "screw wire" held up; does it work with the very dense
> Charles Shaw cork. All the corkscrews under $30 other than the Screwpull

This brass corkscrew I have has more of an actual screw than a wire
type worm. Since brass is typically cast, it's not a "wire" screw.
Looks more like an archemides screw than a pig's tail. It looks like
it would be difficult to get through a really dense cork but that's
not the case. Even solid plastic corks offer little resistance.

http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~crorres/Archimedes/Screw/Applications.html

nb

notbob

Apr 16, 2011, 7:42:50 PM4/16/11
On 2011-04-16, Kent <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:

> Start with the "Ah So" cork remover.
> http://www.winestuff.com/acatalog/AH___SO_Cork_Puller_Double_Prong.html
> These are available anywhere.
>
> Gently rock the Ah So into the bottle as far as you can. If you start with a
> moist top as above everything will be easier. Rotate the Ah So so the entire
> cork rotates. At this point use the regular corkscrew to remove the whole
> cork in one piece.

I used on for years. Get a real Ah-So, as cheap knockoffs do not have
properly radiused prongs. My brass wing thing is better.

Another tip about 2$CHK. Pull the cork before chilling the wine. A
CS wine cork is twice as hard to pull if the bottle has been chilled.

nb

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 7:42:55 PM4/16/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:18:52 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
wrote:

> How long has the "screw wire" held up; does it work with the very dense
> Charles Shaw cork. All the corkscrews under $30 other than the Screwpull
> have a "screw wire" that is not wide enough, and the wire is too thick for
> the very dense Charles Shaw cork. As I mentioned above, the two Screwpulls
> we have had both cracked.

I got this one a couple of years ago after my old "brass" corkscrew
gave up the ghost. http://i51.tinypic.com/2nst4cn.jpg
I don't know what brand it is, but this one has OXO stamped on it and
they look similar, so maybe the winged one is too.
http://i52.tinypic.com/1zlvyat.jpg

notbob

Apr 16, 2011, 7:44:49 PM4/16/11
On 2011-04-16, zxcvbob <zxc...@charter.net> wrote:

> spring and is open in the middle? Or is it more of a wood screw with a
> fast thread? (solid center with the thread wrapped around it)
>
> I've seen both kinds on various-priced corkscrews. The former works
> just fine on dense corks, the latter doesn't.

Not the case with my brass corkscrew. Mine has that "wood screw"
design and it goes through everything.

nb

notbob

Apr 16, 2011, 7:51:21 PM4/16/11
On 2011-04-16, Kent <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:

> No 2$CHK! That would be stressful. What do you have to replace it?

No TJs in CO!

CO is great for booze n' beer but really sucks on the wine front. Did
run across a bottle of $3.50 cab that wasn't totally horrible and a
local $19 cab that was surprisingly good. But generally, good wines
are hard to come by out here in the high country.

nb

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 7:51:56 PM4/16/11

Charles Shaw wine is $2.99.

Janet Wilder

Apr 16, 2011, 7:56:34 PM4/16/11
On 4/16/2011 5:09 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-04-16, Kent<keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
>> usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
>> openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
>> months.
>
> The teflon on the worm wears off and they become useless.
>
>> I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will easily
>> "worm" into a very dense cork.
>
> I've tried about every type of corkscrew you can imagine. Leverage,
> Screwpulls, nitrogen needles, tablemount, etc. The best I've ever
> used is a solid brass wing-type corkscrew.

I agree. My DH worked for an upscale liquor store in Riverdale, (the
fancy neighborhood of The Bronx) NY when he was in college. We have a
"Bolla" brass cork screw with wings that was probably a free promo at
the time. It's the best corkscrew ever.

One time the screw came out and I put it back with super glue. It's
still working.

Maybe if you are really nice to me, I'll leave it to you in my will. ;-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 7:57:25 PM4/16/11

"notbob" <not...@notbob.invalid> wrote in message
A friend of ours from high school lives in Ridgway Co, and drives his van to
New Mexico to get Two Buck Chuck, I think in half ton quantities. I think he
does this about twice a year.

Kent

Janet Wilder

Apr 16, 2011, 7:57:40 PM4/16/11

> They save screw tops for the high priced stuff.

That's true. I've found a $10 sauvignon blanc that has a screw top.
$10, to me, is expensive wine :-)

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 7:57:57 PM4/16/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:29:53 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Start with the "Ah So" cork remover.
> http://www.winestuff.com/acatalog/AH___SO_Cork_Puller_Double_Prong.html
> These are available anywhere.
>
> Gently rock the Ah So into the bottle as far as you can. If you start with a
> moist top as above everything will be easier. Rotate the Ah So so the entire
> cork rotates.

I'll try that wet cork thing soon, thanks.

> At this point use the regular corkscrew to remove the whole
> cork in one piece.

I have all three of the most common types, but I don't bother
switching them in the middle of removing a cork. :)

Janet Wilder

Apr 16, 2011, 7:59:23 PM4/16/11

I have been to many wineries and tasted gallons of wine in my day. I
have found that those two pronged cork screws work like magic in the
hands of the wine pourers at the wineries or tasting rooms, but are
useless pieces of junk when I get them home.

YMMV

Mr. Bill

Apr 16, 2011, 8:02:06 PM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 5:39 pm, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew

Kent...if you have to ask this question..you need to procure screw off
tops.

Dave Smith

Apr 16, 2011, 8:03:49 PM4/16/11
On 16/04/2011 7:57 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> They save screw tops for the high priced stuff.
>>

> That's true. I've found a $10 sauvignon blanc that has a screw top. $10,
> to me, is expensive wine :-)

Some wines that are considerably more than $10 are being sold with screw
caps. It turns out to be a good way to cap wine bottles.

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 8:05:25 PM4/16/11

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
At our TJ's in the East Bay it's $1.99/btl

Mark Thorson

Apr 16, 2011, 9:08:50 PM4/16/11
Janet Wilder wrote:

> I have been to many wineries and tasted gallons of wine in my day. I
> have found that those two pronged cork screws work like magic in the
> hands of the wine pourers at the wineries or tasting rooms, but are
> useless pieces of junk when I get them home.

I used one for many years, and it always worked fine.
Unlike others, it doesn't damage the cork and you can
use it to put the cork back in the bottle (if you had
some crazy reason to want to do that).

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 8:09:46 PM4/16/11

"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Janet Wilder

I had that same thought until I started moisturizing the top of the cork.
That makes it easy to slide the two halves of the Ah So between the glass
and cork. This is particularly true with an older cork, though I always do
this.

Kent

Mark Thorson

Apr 16, 2011, 9:16:51 PM4/16/11
Kent wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> > Charles Shaw wine is $2.99.
> >
> At our TJ's in the East Bay it's $1.99/btl

It's been $2.99 for years in other parts of
the country. I suppose at this price point
the cost of transportation makes a big
difference.

KevinS

Apr 16, 2011, 8:52:04 PM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 4:51 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Charles Shaw wine is $2.99.

In my part of California (Santa Clara County), most are $1.99 plus
$0.19 for the state = $2.18 (sales tax is 9 plus some fraction
percent)..

Prices vary based on geography. For example, in Oregon, most
are $2.99 but there's no additional tax.

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 9:05:59 PM4/16/11

"Mark Thorson" <nos...@sonic.net> wrote in message
I think most of it is state fees or taxes in one form or another.

Kent

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 9:14:22 PM4/16/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:05:25 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
wrote:

There are two levels of 2 Buck Chuck: cheap and cheaper. ;)
<http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/article/4-things-not-to-buy-at-trader-joes/6191651/>

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 9:15:02 PM4/16/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:16:51 -0800, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net>
wrote:

They carry wines with both prices at my TJ's.

Kent

Apr 16, 2011, 9:59:44 PM4/16/11

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:16:51 -0800, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Kent wrote:

>> > At our TJ's in the East Bay it's $1.99/btl
>>
>> It's been $2.99 for years in other parts of
>> the country. I suppose at this price point
>> the cost of transportation makes a big
>> difference.
>
> They carry wines with both prices at my TJ's.
>
> --
I'm pretty certain you're mistaken.
In California all Charles Shaw Wine is $1.99/btl

Bryan

Apr 16, 2011, 10:19:17 PM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 6:57 pm, Janet Wilder <kelliepoo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > They save screw tops for the high priced stuff.
>
> That's true.  I've found a $10 sauvignon blanc that has a screw top.
> $10, to me, is expensive wine :-)

This is the best tasting dry wine I've ever had:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=2143

> --
> Janet Wilder

--Bryan

Bryan

Apr 16, 2011, 10:20:52 PM4/16/11

Better than just shoving a piece of wood into the bottle and calling
it good enough. It's freakin' 2011.

--Bryan

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 10:51:54 PM4/16/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:59:44 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:16:51 -0800, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net>
> > wrote:

> >> It's been $2.99 for years in other parts of
> >> the country. I suppose at this price point
> >> the cost of transportation makes a big
> >> difference.
> >
> > They carry wines with both prices at my TJ's.
> >
> > --
> I'm pretty certain you're mistaken.
> In California all Charles Shaw Wine is $1.99/btl

You're right. I just looked at the receipt. What I bought was rung
up as "TJ's" Coastal Sauvignon Blanc for $3.99, but I swear I saw a
Charles Shaw for $2.99 and another one for $1.99. I have to look
again.

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 11:23:14 PM4/16/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
<bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Better than just shoving a piece of wood into the bottle and calling
> it good enough. It's freakin' 2011.

Cork is bark, not wood.

Janet Wilder

Apr 16, 2011, 11:29:47 PM4/16/11
On 4/16/2011 7:09 PM, Kent wrote:
> "Janet Wilder"<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> I have been to many wineries and tasted gallons of wine in my day. I have

>> found that those two pronged cork screws work like magic in the hands of
>> the wine pourers at the wineries or tasting rooms, but are useless pieces
>> of junk when I get them home.
>>

> I had that same thought until I started moisturizing the top of the cork.

> That makes it easy to slide the two halves of the Ah So between the glass
> and cork. This is particularly true with an older cork, though I always do
> this.

We keep all of our wine in a wine rack with the necks down to keep the
corks moist so I don't think dry corks are the reason for the
two-pronged openers not working.

Janet Wilder

Apr 16, 2011, 11:32:47 PM4/16/11

Right below yours is the Geyser Peak 08. I've had the Geyser Peak 09
and it is really, really yummy. I can't always find it locally. When I
do I get a few bottles. I think it's my favorite souvignon blanc,

sf

Apr 16, 2011, 11:33:11 PM4/16/11

It looks like a lovely wine. Fumé or Sauvignon Blanc can be pretty
dry for a beginner. It certainly was for me! But after your palate
matures, it's absolutely wonderful. It's now a wine type I enjoy
drinking.

Ed Pawlowski

Apr 17, 2011, 12:09:49 AM4/17/11

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Better than just shoving a piece of wood into the bottle and calling
>> it good enough. It's freakin' 2011.
>
> Cork is bark, not wood.

And most "corks" today are synthetic. They are harder to put in and harder
to take out, but they don't go bad and leak.

spamtrap1888

Apr 17, 2011, 12:29:01 AM4/17/11
On Apr 16, 2:39 pm, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the bottle that the
> usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it. We've had two screwpull
> openers that worked great, until they self destructed after about eighteen
> months.
>
> I'm looking for something to replace that  will hold up and that will easily
> "worm" into a very dense cork.

I use the winged opener with the screw worm, although they're just
made of pot metal any more.

sf

Apr 17, 2011, 12:36:41 AM4/17/11

I mentioned synthetic corks up-thread and frankly, they're easier to
take out than a real cork that's too long. I don't understand all the
complaints about them. Get a better cork popper and live it up.

sf

Apr 17, 2011, 12:40:25 AM4/17/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:29:01 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use the winged opener with the screw worm, although they're just
> made of pot metal any more.

Frankly, I don't think they're even made of pot metal. I bet under
all that fake metal is plastic. Good plastic, but plastic all the
same.

Kent

Apr 17, 2011, 12:58:36 AM4/17/11

> Janet Wilder

You're doing what you should. That keeps the inferior end of the cork moist.
However, the surface end is dry and still needs cleaning out with water
before you try to get the cork out with an Ah So, or with a standard
corkscrew.

Storrmmee

Apr 17, 2011, 1:41:16 AM4/17/11
those fake corks are not welcome at my house, the cats are not well pleased
when the "cork" goes in the trash rather than their toy box, Lee

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net> wrote in message

notbob

Apr 17, 2011, 10:19:52 AM4/17/11
On 2011-04-17, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Frankly, I don't think they're even made of pot metal. I bet under
> all that fake metal is plastic. Good plastic, but plastic all the
> same.

Possibly. They are pretty crappy.

I have a cheapo, about $4.99. While so flimsy and shoddy I think a
Chinaman would be embarrassed, it still works effortlessly. I keep
waiting for a wing to break off, but it's hanging in there, so far.

nb

Brooklyn1

Apr 17, 2011, 10:51:51 AM4/17/11
"Storrmmee" <rgr...@consolidated.net> wrote:

>those fake corks are not welcome at my house, the cats are not well pleased
>when the "cork" goes in the trash rather than their toy box, Lee

Never give real corks to cats... they are more dangerous than fake
corks, they will chew off small bits which because they are so light
can easily become lodged in their trachea and cause aphixiation...
never give cats access to styrofoam either. Actually no wooden toys
are safe for cats, they will chew the wood and swallow splinters. My
cats get white cotton socks filled with a little catnip and knotted so
they can easily be recharged, and cats love batting golf balls... they
are safe, they present no choking hazzard nor can they be chewed...
golfers Wiffle balls are safe too (be sure they're the real deal), I
don't think ping pong balls are safe, some cats can bite through. Most
commercial cat toys are not safe. One of the simplest, safest, and
best cat toys is a TP tube... do not add any decor and never string.
http://www.hscipets.org/tipcat05.htm

Brooklyn1

Apr 17, 2011, 11:19:45 AM4/17/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:29:01 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's not true, winged corkscrews are available in many materials,
even stainless steel... search <winged corkscrews>, you'll be amazed
at how many to choose from.

Brooklyn1

Apr 17, 2011, 11:22:35 AM4/17/11
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:29:01 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
><spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I use the winged opener with the screw worm, although they're just
>> made of pot metal any more.
>
>Frankly, I don't think they're even made of pot metal. I bet under
>all that fake metal is plastic. Good plastic, but plastic all the
>same.

And under all that fake JAPiness your brain is made of styrofoam.

pltr...@xhost.org

Apr 17, 2011, 12:00:30 PM4/17/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 16:51:56 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Charles Shaw wine is $2.99.

Last time I checked, they were usually $3.99 on the east coast.

-- Larry

pltr...@xhost.org

Apr 17, 2011, 12:07:50 PM4/17/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:05:12 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Are you talking about synthetic corks? The "real" corks I have
>trouble with are usually too long. When it's too long, I worry about
>it breaking before I can get it out. I can reset the corkscrew and
>start over on the broken part that's still in the bottle, but I can't
>put the cork back together again.

"Cork Pops" works spectacularly well for older, fragile, or potential
problem corks. I use mine on all my older stock.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=cork+pops&x=0&y=0

-- Larry

notbob

Apr 17, 2011, 12:37:24 PM4/17/11
On 2011-04-17, pltr...@xhost.org <pltr...@xhost.org> wrote:

> "Cork Pops" works spectacularly well for older, fragile, or potential
> problem corks. I use mine on all my older stock.

Until the cartridge loses more than half its charge, then they're
useless on difficult corks and iffy on easy corks. Been there, wore
out that t-shirt. Too damned expensive for prolonged use unless you
got $$$ to burn.

nb

Janet Wilder

Apr 17, 2011, 12:39:07 PM4/17/11
On 4/16/2011 11:58 PM, Kent wrote:
> "Janet Wilder"<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I had that same thought until I started moisturizing the top of the cork.
>>> That makes it easy to slide the two halves of the Ah So between the glass
>>> and cork. This is particularly true with an older cork, though I always
>>> do
>>> this.
>>
>> We keep all of our wine in a wine rack with the necks down to keep the
>> corks moist so I don't think dry corks are the reason for the two-pronged
>> openers not working.
>>
>> Janet Wilder
>>

> You're doing what you should. That keeps the inferior end of the cork moist.
> However, the surface end is dry and still needs cleaning out with water
> before you try to get the cork out with an Ah So, or with a standard
> corkscrew.

Never had a problem with a good quality real metal winged cork screw.

Janet Wilder

Apr 17, 2011, 12:41:44 PM4/17/11

They look interesting, but, oenophile that I am, I can't see myself
spending more for a cork popper than I do for a bottle of wine. :-)

YMMV

sf

Apr 17, 2011, 1:09:08 PM4/17/11
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:39:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Never had a problem with a good quality real metal winged cork screw.

I know. My first one was a cheapie from the grocery store and it was
used as much as any corkscrew is used at home, but it lasted 25 years
min.

sf

Apr 17, 2011, 1:12:58 PM4/17/11

I thought Notbob said they don't work.

Dave Smith

Apr 17, 2011, 2:23:09 PM4/17/11
On 17/04/2011 1:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:39:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Never had a problem with a good quality real metal winged cork screw.
>
> I know. My first one was a cheapie from the grocery store and it was
> used as much as any corkscrew is used at home, but it lasted 25 years
> min.

I wonder if there is a problem with the way some people use them. My
brother is one of those people who cannot keep a cork screw. He has had
lots of different styles of cork screw and had broken every one of them.
We had identical metal wing cork screws. I still have mine. His lasted
a couple months.

notbob

Apr 17, 2011, 3:30:01 PM4/17/11
On 2011-04-17, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> I thought Notbob said they don't work.

They work fine till they lose propellant. I still had plenty of
liquid in the cartridge when it stopped being effective and I hadda
get a new one. At roughly $5 ea and useless when only 2/3rds empty,
it's more than the cork that's being screwed.

nb

Janet Wilder

Apr 17, 2011, 5:28:47 PM4/17/11
On 4/17/2011 12:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:39:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Never had a problem with a good quality real metal winged cork screw.
>
> I know. My first one was a cheapie from the grocery store and it was
> used as much as any corkscrew is used at home, but it lasted 25 years
> min.

I think ours is somewhere around 50 years old. If DH got it when he was
in college he was about 19 or 20. He'll be 70 (G-d willing) in June.

Don't tell the Smithsonian. They might take it away and then where would
we be?

Doug Freyburger

Apr 17, 2011, 7:10:04 PM4/17/11
Dave Smith wrote:

> sf wrote:
>> Janet Wilder <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Never had a problem with a good quality real metal winged cork screw.

Where the corkscrew is a helix. I have had a cheap kind that had a
screw with wide flanges. It destroyed cork after cork.

>> I know. My first one was a cheapie from the grocery store and it was
>> used as much as any corkscrew is used at home, but it lasted 25 years
>> min.
>
> I wonder if there is a problem with the way some people use them. My
> brother is one of those people who cannot keep a cork screw. He has had
> lots of different styles of cork screw and had broken every one of them.
> We had identical metal wing cork screws. I still have mine. His lasted
> a couple months.

I've seen people screw in part way. Not me. I screw it in all the way.
Better leverage.

I've seen people move the corkscrew sideways back and forth. That's how
to break the corkscrew not how to pull the cork. If I can't pull the
cork I screw the tap in even farther. At some point it starts spinning
the cork inside the bottle and that loosens the seal. Then pull
straight out. Every once in a great while when that does not work I
switch to a narrow knife and destroy the cork on purpose.

Brooklyn1

Apr 17, 2011, 8:51:59 PM4/17/11
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:39:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I've been using my winged cork screw for nearly 50 years, never had a
problem uncorking any wine bottle, don't remember what it cost or even
where I got it, just looked, has no name or any identifying marks. I
have a few other cork screws lying about, the mini kind that fit in my
pocket and some as part of a pocket knife... but I use the old winged
one all the time. I don't think it's pot metal, just weighed it, 7.5
ounces, I'd say it's solid cast stainless steel with a high nickle
content, except for the two pivot pins, those are hardened steel
dowels, and has a nylon bushing to cushion the bottle mouth, has a
very nice patina like an old nickle. I never paid much attention to
it before, just used it, sits in my kitchen junk drawer.... probably
cost under a buck at a 5в & 10в.

Brooklyn1

Apr 17, 2011, 8:53:39 PM4/17/11

Maybe he's a wino! lol

pltr...@xhost.org

Apr 17, 2011, 9:35:20 PM4/17/11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:19:17 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
<bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is the best tasting dry wine I've ever had:
>http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=2143

That's sad. Have you ever tried a Sancerre, Alborino(aka alvarinho,
etc.), or Gruner Veltliner?

-- Larry

Dan Abel

Apr 17, 2011, 11:01:23 PM4/17/11
In article
<3a341e01-955e-4ef6...@z37g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
Bryan <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 6:57 pm, Janet Wilder <kelliepoo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > They save screw tops for the high priced stuff.
> >
> > That's true.  I've found a $10 sauvignon blanc that has a screw top.
> > $10, to me, is expensive wine :-)
> >

> This is the best tasting dry wine I've ever had:
> http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=2143

I looked it up. That winery is about a 45 minute drive from my house,
pretty much north.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

sf

Apr 18, 2011, 12:02:33 AM4/18/11

Obviously not. He was very clear that Sauvignon Blanc was the driest
he's tried... what's sad is that you felt that you had to one up him.

sf

Apr 18, 2011, 12:06:05 AM4/18/11
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:23:09 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

I think you're right. I watched a guy today use a very nice corkscrew
(OXO brand) and he kept putting it in at an angle. Put the corkscrew
in sideways, then pull it out straight up and you'll eventually break
the worm from all that stress.

spamtrap1888

Apr 18, 2011, 1:27:45 AM4/18/11
On Apr 17, 9:02 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:35:20 -0400, pltrg...@xhost.org wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:19:17 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >This is the best tasting dry wine I've ever had:
> > >http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=2143
>
> > That's sad. Have you ever tried a Sancerre, Alborino(aka alvarinho,
> > etc.), or Gruner Veltliner?
>
> Obviously not.  He was very clear that Sauvignon Blanc was the driest
> he's tried... what's sad is that you felt that you had to one up him.

I'm still trying to understand how Gruener Veltliner fits into the
pantheon. It's like asking if someone has ever tried a Seyval Blanc --
that's the thing you drink when you're in the region. Although K&L
Wines here imports several varieties, including one for $11 a liter
and another for $12 a liter.

Bryan

Apr 18, 2011, 7:00:52 AM4/18/11
On Apr 17, 11:02 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:35:20 -0400, pltrg...@xhost.org wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:19:17 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >This is the best tasting dry wine I've ever had:
> > >http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=2143
>
> > That's sad. Have you ever tried a Sancerre, Alborino(aka alvarinho,
> > etc.), or Gruner Veltliner?
>
> Obviously not.  He was very clear that Sauvignon Blanc was the driest
> he's tried... what's sad is that you felt that you had to one up him.

It's the driest I've *enjoyed*. It really didn't seem like SB to me,
which I've had plenty of times, but never really liked, other than the
ethanol content of course. I've drunk enough wine in an effort to
develop a taste for it. It's not in the cards.

--Bryan

Doug Freyburger

Apr 18, 2011, 12:10:28 PM4/18/11
sf wrote:

> Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if there is a problem with the way some people use them. My
>> brother is one of those people who cannot keep a cork screw. He has had
>> lots of different styles of cork screw and had broken every one of them.
>> We had identical metal wing cork screws. I still have mine. His lasted
>> a couple months.
>
> I think you're right. I watched a guy today use a very nice corkscrew
> (OXO brand) and he kept putting it in at an angle. Put the corkscrew
> in sideways, then pull it out straight up and you'll eventually break
> the worm from all that stress.

I like our cork screw. I think it's a "Screwpull" brand. It has three
parts. One is a foil cutter that exposes the cork. One is the
corkscrew itself that pierces the cork. One is an alignment sheath that
hold the corkscrew vertical with respect to the bottle. I put the
device on the top of the bottle and screw until the cork comes up well
out of the bottle into the alignment sheath.

I have such a fancy corkscrew yet I probably only open 2-4 bottles of
wine per year. Definite gadget freak. That and I've gradually used
less wine over the years. These days I probably average 1-2 drinks per
week. Most is a split between beer out or home brewed ale/mead at
home. My home brewed mead goes in wire bale bottles (like Grolsch).

pltr...@xhost.org

Apr 18, 2011, 12:32:43 PM4/18/11
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 22:27:45 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm still trying to understand how Gruener Veltliner fits into the
>pantheon. It's like asking if someone has ever tried a Seyval Blanc --
>that's the thing you drink when you're in the region.

We've had a wide selection of Gruner available on the east coast for
at least ten years. Plus there is now Gruner being grown and bottled
in both CA and VA, as well as Australia.

BTW, Seyval is grown and bottled by Willowcroft in VA too.

-- Larry

pltr...@xhost.org

Apr 18, 2011, 12:37:37 PM4/18/11
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:02:33 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Obviously not. He was very clear that Sauvignon Blanc was the driest
>he's tried... what's sad is that you felt that you had to one up him.

That is not what he said. He said is was the *best he's had.*

I simply pointed him to some better quality sauvignon blanc, as well
as two other excellent food wine varietals he might like.

"One-upmanship" doesn't enter into the equation. We simply drink a
bottle of wine every night with supper, and enjoy the never-ending
search for good wines at good prices -- which leaves out most US wine,
which is generally overpriced.

-- Larry

sf

Apr 18, 2011, 1:56:31 PM4/18/11

You just can't stop digging.

Janet Wilder

Apr 18, 2011, 3:08:14 PM4/18/11

I am going to disagree with your statement that US wines are not good
and overpriced. We've traveled the US and have found wineries in the
strangest places. Most of them make some really nice wines that are in
the $8 to $15 range.

Sam's Club and our local supermarket carries many delicious California
and Texas wines under $10 per bottle. My favorite Reisling is St.
Michelle's from the Yakima Valley, WA. Definitely not an expensive wine.
I've enjoyed some German Reislings, too as well as some from other
continents and I find the balance in the St. Michelle to be very
pleasant to *my* palate.

We don't have Costco or Trader Joe's here, and they have some great
American wines at great prices, too.

Some of the worst tasting wines I have ever sampled were expensive and
produced in Europe.

Arri London

Apr 18, 2011, 7:58:58 PM4/18/11

KevinS wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2:39 pm, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to open
> > Charles Shaw wines*.
>
> I just use a waiter's type cork pull with a hinged claw. It works
> easily every time and - notwithstanding concerns I've heard here
> before - it has never chipped the bottle's glass lip. I think I
> bought
> it at Trader Joe's for less than $5.

We bought the same cork pull, just before they changed brands to a
lighter weight one. Has worked perfectly on every wine bottle we've
tried to open.

Arri London

Apr 18, 2011, 8:00:14 PM4/18/11

Kent wrote:

> "KevinS" <shee...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 16, 2:39 pm, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult to
> > open
> > Charles Shaw wines*.
>
> I just use a waiter's type cork pull with a hinged claw. It works
> easily every time and - notwithstanding concerns I've heard here
> before - it has never chipped the bottle's glass lip. I think I
> bought
> it at Trader Joe's for less than $5.
> >

> The waiter's corkscrew works but with difficulty on the dense cork. I have
> chipped the glass lip several times.

You may be using it incorrectly or just need a different manufacturer.
We've never chipped a bottle lip with it. We've never chipped a bottle
lip with any corkscrew/puller.

Kent

Apr 18, 2011, 9:08:02 PM4/18/11

"Arri London" <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in message
I think the waiter's cork pull's worm is too narrow for old long corks, and
the wire is too thick. I really like this Screwpull.
www.amazon.com/Screwpull-S1015-31-Table-Corkscrew-Black/dp/B0001UZPY0/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1303174546&sr=1-1
As you see it has a wider worm with thinner wire. It's sharper at the tip,
and will slide into a dense cork much easier than the waiter's cork pull.
However, do not buy one. The plastic body cracks after so many uses,
particularly in a dense cork. The wire worm holds up just fine.

The waiter's cork pull is inadequate for long corks in old cellared wines.
When you insert it into a 40 year old cork it takes out the center of the
cork, and leaves the bottom half of the cork in the bottle. The Screwpull
doesn't, because of the shape, length, and width of its worm. As I said,
however, the plastic breaks and after two $15 losses I'm not wanting to try
it again.

Cheers, after it's open!

Kent

notbob

Apr 18, 2011, 9:21:38 PM4/18/11
On 2011-04-19, Kent <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:

> particularly in a dense cork. The wire worm holds up just fine.

Apparently, they've improved the coating (teflon?) on newer worms.

"Keep your Leverpull corkscrew models in perfect working order with a
replacement screw. The replacement screw has a new triple-layer
coating that sustains use for 2000 openings, lasting four times longer
than the previous screw. Fits all Leverpull corkscrew models."

http://www.amazon.com/Screwpull-Leverpull-Corkscrew-Replacement-Worm/dp/B0001QITMY

I know I quit using early screwpull products cuz the worm would lose
its coating after about a 100 bottles and the damn thing wouldn't
penetrate a cork fer dammit. Even came with a second replacement
worm. Perhaps they've resolved the problem.

nb

Message has been deleted

pltr...@xhost.org

Apr 18, 2011, 11:29:11 PM4/18/11
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:08:14 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> "One-upmanship" doesn't enter into the equation. We simply drink a
>> bottle of wine every night with supper, and enjoy the never-ending
>> search for good wines at good prices -- which leaves out most US wine,
>> which is generally overpriced.
>
>I am going to disagree with your statement that US wines are not good
>and overpriced.

That's very kind of you -- but I didn't say that. I said that US wines
are generally overpriced. Please learn how to read and quote
accurately.

>....Some of the worst tasting wines I have ever sampled were expensive and
>produced in Europe.

You do realize that terms like "worst tasting" are essentially
meaningless, don't you?

You can find bad -- meaning spoiled, corked, or otherwise mistreated
wine -- from any vineyard.

Almost everyone has certain styles of both wine and beer that they
don't care for, which taste awful to them.

There is certainly bad wine made in Europe. The term "plonk" was
coined to describe bad wine made on the continent for sale to Brits
who didn't know good wine from bad, and shopped by price tag alone.
But the international wine market has eliminated most uncompetitive
European wine by now.

By and large, most expensive European wines have earned their price
tags over a long period of time. The same is not true of many US
"boutique" vineyards.

BTW, we have some excellent wines made here in Virginia, too, from
vineyards like Pearmund. But *every* single one of them is seriously
overpriced, (even more so than west coast wine), compared to wines I
can buy from South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and
all over Europe.

I can find excellent food wines for daily consumption from all those
countries at $10-$15 per bottle. I can't say that about US wines.

I would love to be able to drink Ridge zins or Melville or
Brewer-Clifton Santa Barbara pinots every night, but I just can't
afford them. The floor for acceptability seems to be $25 a bottle. And
Fess Parker just doesn't cut it.

-- Larry

pltr...@xhost.org

Apr 18, 2011, 11:31:16 PM4/18/11
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:56:31 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>You just can't stop digging.

And you can't stop being an ignorant asshole.

-- Larry

notbob

Apr 18, 2011, 11:41:45 PM4/18/11
On 2011-04-19, pltr...@xhost.org <pltr...@xhost.org> wrote:

> But the international wine market has eliminated most uncompetitive
> European wine by now.

Also, Europe has readily adopted the vintner practices of CA, the
technique of mass storage and blending, thereby eliminating much of
the substandard pool wine that was common.

> I would love to be able to drink Ridge zins or Melville or
> Brewer-Clifton Santa Barbara pinots every night, but I just can't
> afford them.

Mmmm.... some great zins from Santa Barbara area.

> The floor for acceptability seems to be $25 a bottle. And Fess
> Parker just doesn't cut it.

Or the mediocre collector crap like Marilyn Merlot, which I used to
buy for 2X/$7. I sold my oldest 2 bottles for over $200.

nb

Christine Dabney

Apr 18, 2011, 11:56:53 PM4/18/11
On 19 Apr 2011 03:41:45 GMT, notbob <not...@notbob.invalid> wrote:

>Mmmm.... some great zins from Santa Barbara area.

Which ones? I am in Santa Barbara now.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

notbob

Apr 19, 2011, 12:12:08 AM4/19/11
On 2011-04-19, Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>>Mmmm.... some great zins from Santa Barbara area.
>
> Which ones? I am in Santa Barbara now.

The best zin I've ever tasted was '94 from Santa Barbara Vineyard (as
I recall). Of course, everything from '94 was excellent. One of the
best years, ever.

nb

sf

Apr 19, 2011, 12:49:35 AM4/19/11

Laughing

sf

Apr 19, 2011, 12:51:43 AM4/19/11
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:48:25 -0500, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In article <4dac8c1d$0$12887$c3e8da3$9dec...@news.astraweb.com>,

> Janet Wilder <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Some of the worst tasting wines I have ever sampled were expensive and
> > produced in Europe.
> >

> > --
> > Janet Wilder
>

> DITTO!!! :-p

Oh, come on. If you're talking "French" they are very reliable. I
can't remember one I didn't like unless it was French Plonk in
masquerade.

Message has been deleted

sf

Apr 19, 2011, 8:14:05 AM4/19/11
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 01:38:30 -0500, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm still remembering that $500.00 per bottle French Champagne that
> tasted like battery acid...

I still wonder why the expensive stuff is wasted on those who can't
appreciate it.

Brooklyn1

Apr 19, 2011, 9:50:00 AM4/19/11
wrote:

>In article <e35qq6p87ipe8l847...@4ax.com>,

> sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:48:25 -0500, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > DITTO!!! :-p
>>
>> Oh, come on. If you're talking "French" they are very reliable. I
>> can't remember one I didn't like unless it was French Plonk in
>> masquerade.
>

>I'm still remembering that $500.00 per bottle French Champagne that
>tasted like battery acid...

I wouldn't pay that kind of money for any wine... as with many other
products most sales are generated by hype... what do you think wine
tastings are all about... emperor's new clothes syndrome. In my
experience French wines are way over rated

I've found no wines better and at more reasonable cost than those from
NY State. For the past 20 years I've been buying mostly NYS wines and
have never been disappointed. I used to enjoy Dago Red (Ruffino) but
it's price has become outrageous for what is basic ordinary table
wine, that is really no better than any bocce playing, guinea stinker
cigar smoking, fig tree wrapping old foggey concocted in a Brooklyn
basement... I was weaned on that wine, nothing better, it's the aroma,
the smell of old dank basements and fermentation in old wooden barrels
that can't be duplicated in the sterile environments of modern
winerys. When it comes to wine (and anything else) there is no
accounting for taste... all the fancy schmancy vintner nomenclature is
nothing but pure hype to jack up the price. And no way does wine need
to be aged, it's best right from the fermentation barrel... wine
cannot be improved by aging in the bottle, lest it spoil the best you
can hope for is vinegar.

Doug Freyburger

Apr 19, 2011, 11:25:03 AM4/19/11
pltr...@xhost.org wrote:

> By and large, most expensive European wines have earned their price
> tags over a long period of time. The same is not true of many US
> "boutique" vineyards.

This weekend my wife and I were shopping at Costco. There were bins
with California wines costing $97.99. No way they are worth it. Fancy
wine is a fad that is driving the prices up beyond historical trends.

Even though these wines are probably excellent their prices do not fit
with their quality. There's plenty of excellent wine in the $10-20 per
bottle range, and some in the below $10 range.

Nunya Bidnits

Apr 19, 2011, 6:11:21 PM4/19/11
Re: iod4mr$tmj$1...@dont-email.me

Kent <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:

> "KevinS" <shee...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 16, 2:39 pm, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult
>> to open
>> Charles Shaw wines*.
>
> I just use a waiter's type cork pull with a hinged claw. It works
> easily every time and - notwithstanding concerns I've heard here
> before - it has never chipped the bottle's glass lip. I think I
> bought
> it at Trader Joe's for less than $5.
>>

> The waiter's corkscrew works but with difficulty on the dense cork. I
> have chipped the glass lip several times.
>

> Kent

I've used mine hundreds of time and have never chipped glass. You're not
holding your mouth right.

Christine Dabney

Apr 19, 2011, 6:20:53 PM4/19/11
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:11:21 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
<nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

.
>> I just use a waiter's type cork pull with a hinged claw. It works
>> easily every time and - notwithstanding concerns I've heard here
>> before - it has never chipped the bottle's glass lip. I think I
>> bought
>> it at Trader Joe's for less than $5.
>>>

>> The waiter's corkscrew works but with difficulty on the dense cork. I
>> have chipped the glass lip several times.
>>
>> Kent
>
>I've used mine hundreds of time and have never chipped glass. You're not
>holding your mouth right.

I have 2 waiter's corkscrews, and I got both of them at TJs. They
both work fine for me, on any type of cork, and I have never chipped
glass.

Maybe the technique of using them needs to be refined?

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Nunya Bidnits

Apr 19, 2011, 6:21:32 PM4/19/11
Re: iodas6$9j9$1...@dont-email.me

Kent <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:38:55 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>> <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The last wine tasting I went to there were quite a few in the
>>> $10-$15 range that had screw tops.
>>>
>> Charles Shaw wine is $2.99.
>>

> At our TJ's in the East Bay it's $1.99/btl

This fustercluck is about two dollar wine?

Then by all means you should be using an air pressure cork remover and
candling that wine as you decant it. You can't be too careful.

Nunya Bidnits

Apr 19, 2011, 6:21:43 PM4/19/11
Re: 73e109cc-bd18-444b...@s3g2000vbf.googlegroups.com

Bryan <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 5:20 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:04:39 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>>
>> <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I wish they'd quit putting those "corks" into cheap wine bottles.
>>> It's stupid.
>>
>> They save screw tops for the high priced stuff.
>>
> The last wine tasting I went to there were quite a few in the $10-$15
> range that had screw tops.
>

> --Bryan

Screw tops are the future. Cork gets more expensive and the quality keeps
going down. Screw tops do a fine job with less failed seals than cork.

Nunya Bidnits

Apr 19, 2011, 6:22:31 PM4/19/11
Re: iod2ar$1s7$1...@dont-email.me

Kent <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion for a corkscrew to open the difficult
> to open Charles Shaw wines*. The very dense cork is so firmly in the
> bottle that the usual corkscrew worm doesn't easily screw into it.
> We've had two screwpull openers that worked great, until they self
> destructed after about eighteen months.
>

> I'm looking for something to replace that will hold up and that will
> easily "worm" into a very dense cork.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Kent
>
> *Two Buck Chuck, from Trader Jose's

If it's so dense it doesn't want to accept the corkscrew (hard to imagine
but theoretically possible I suppose) then use one of those double bladed
openers which has a blade to slide down either side of the cork. Then you
gradually twist while pulling up and it works the cork out.

Also there are two possible shapes for the corkscrew itself... auger and
spiral. The spiral type is cheaper construction and does more damage to the
cork when you pull up, sometimes ripping out instead of lifting the cork.
The auger type is more likely to work on a difficult cork. However when in
doubt and the cork seems fragile for whatever reason, I just go to the
bladed corkpull and that avoids shoving anything into a fragile cork.

MartyB

It is loading more messages.