Caper recipes

Lou Decruss

Sep 29, 2009, 8:05:08 AM9/29/09
I saw the thread and thought I should share my favorite recipes that
have capers in them. Like James I like them right out of the jar.

Lou

Mako Shark with Anchovy and Caper Sauce

1/4 cup finely chopped onions
2 teaspoons coarsely chopped garlic
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup imported sweet paprika
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cups olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 mako shark or swordfish steaks (about 8 ounces each)
10 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
2 whole cloves
1 can (35 ounces) Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and coarsely
chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick (4 ounces) butter
1/4 cup drained capers
1 small bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley, stemmed and finely chopped

In a large bowl, combine the onions, garlic, bay leaves, paprika,
lemon juice, 1 cup of the olive oil, the cayenne, salt and 1/4
teaspoon of the pepper. Add the shark steaks and set aside to
marinate, turning every 20 minutes, for 1 hour.

Preheat the broiler. In a large nonreactive saucepan, saute the
anchovies in the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil over moderate heat
until dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, vinegar and cloves.
Reduce heat to low; cook for 5 minutes. Strain; return the sauce
to the pan.

Add the tomatoes, sugar and cinnamon and simmer the sauce over
moderate heat until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.

Reduce the heat to low and add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time,
stirring until completely melted. Add the capers, parsley and
remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cover to keep the sauce warm.

Remove the shark steaks from the marinade and pat dry. Broil the
steaks about 4 inches from the heat until just opaque throughout,
about 5 minutes on each side. Pour the warm sauce over the fish
and serve.
Fig And Walnut Tapenade

1 cup chopped dried black mission figs
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup chopped/pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon capers, drained and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
salt
fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts

In a medium saucepan combine chopped figs and water. Cook over medium
heat, stirring occasionally until liquid has evaporated and

figs are soft. About 7 minutes.

Transfer figs to a mixing bowl. Add olives, olive oil, balsamic
vinegar, capers, and chopped thyme. Mix and add salt and pepper to
taste.

Refrigerate for 24 hours. (up to 3 days)

Bring to room temperature and mix in chopped walnuts.

Serve with Kefalograviera cheese slices on thin slices of French
Baguette bread.

Other Greek cheeses will work as will Manchego or Blues.

Do NOT serve cold.

Message has been deleted

Zeppo

Sep 29, 2009, 1:55:25 PM9/29/09

"Lou Decruss" <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote in message

> I saw the thread and thought I should share my favorite recipes that
> have capers in them. Like James I like them right out of the jar.
>
> Lou
>

> Mako Shark with Anchovy and Caper Sauce
>
> 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
> 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped garlic
> 3 bay leaves
> 1/4 cup imported sweet paprika
> 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
> 1 1/3 cups olive oil
> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 6 mako shark or swordfish steaks (about 8 ounces each)
> 10 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
> 1/4 cup dry white wine
> 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar

Hi Lou,
Both recipes look very tasty. Do you think some white wine vinegar and some
fresh chopped tarragon stand in OK for the tarragon vinegar? I have a large
supply of flavored vinegars now that I hardly use and end up trashing them
after a few years. I'd hate to add yet another bottle to my collection.

Thanks,
Jon

Omelet

Sep 29, 2009, 2:58:59 PM9/29/09
In article <2it3c5hipta5bga0v...@4ax.com>,
Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

> I saw the thread and thought I should share my favorite recipes that
> have capers in them. Like James I like them right out of the jar.
>
> Lou
>

> Mako Shark with Anchovy and Caper Sauce

This got saved to disk, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>
recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

ChefToddMohr

Sep 29, 2009, 6:43:34 PM9/29/09

'Omelet[_7_ Wrote:
> ;1383559']
> Mako Shark with Anchovy and Caper Sauce[/i][/color]

I can't make my remoulade for fish and shrimp without capers, and
especially the caper pickling brine.

Mayonnaise, tomato paste, diced red onion, worchestershire sauce,
capers and caper juice for tang. Serve instead of tartar sauce.

I use the caper pickling brine as a substitute for vinegar in cold
composed salads.

--
ChefToddMohr

Janet Wilder

Sep 29, 2009, 10:30:19 PM9/29/09
Lou Decruss wrote:
> I saw the thread and thought I should share my favorite recipes that
> have capers in them. Like James I like them right out of the jar.
>
> Lou

I love capers, too. I put them into my chicken piccata.

Here's a recipe with capers that I make for parties.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Muffaletta Olive Spread

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 25 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Appetizers

1/2 cup black olives -- pitted and drained
1/2 cup green olives -- salad-type
1 stalk celery
2 tbsps capers
1 red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil -- approx
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

Chop the olives through garlic in the food processor. Add olive oil
until mixture just begins to loosen up. Transfer to a bowl and stir in
herbs and pepper. Store in the fridge

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 27 Calories; 3g Fat (87.3%
calories from fat); trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 55mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Vegetable;
0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This spread is wonderful on a New Orleans style muffaletta
sandwich but is also great on crostini, crackers and flour tortillas or
pita bread points.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig

Sep 29, 2009, 11:55:08 PM9/29/09
On Sep 29, 7:05 am, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:
> I saw the thread and thought I should share my favorite recipes that
> have capers in them.  Like James I like them right out of the jar.
> Lou

I too like 'em right out of the jar! This is my mother's recipe and
the first way I ever ate capers. The original recipe says to chop the
capers but I like leaving them whole. Be sure you shake this dressing
every time you pour it. Keeps for a couple of weeks in the fridge,
but it never lasts that long!
Lynn in Fargo

Imperial Dressing
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp onion salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp paprika (Sweet Hungarian)
1/2 tsp dill (dried, not seeds)
5 drops Tabasco

Bring to boil, stir well, set aside and cool 10 minutes.

1 cup catsup
1/2 to 1 cup olive oil (to taste)
3 tbsp capers, chopped or whole
1 tsp caper juice
2 tsp Worcestershire
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, slightly crushed.

In a large bowl, whisk together catsup, oil, caper juice and
Worcestershire. Whisk in vinegar mixture and stir in capers. Add
garlic cloves. Pour into bottle or jar with tight cap. Add garlic
cloves, impaled on toothpick. Shake well before using. Remove garlic
cloves if you pass the dressing or serve it buffet style. Makes about
2 1/2 to 3 cups.

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Sep 30, 2009, 10:45:08 AM9/30/09
In article <003e96c0$0$9152$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Janet Wilder <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I love capers, too. I put them into my chicken piccata.

We use capers in all sorts of things. We get the big jar of them
(yes, I know they're not the highest quality) for normal use and a
smaller jar of salt packed ones for nicer things.

> Here's a recipe with capers that I make for parties.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Muffaletta Olive Spread

Yum! We first had a muffaletta in Tulsa. I'm sure it wasn't
"authentic," whatever that is, but we loved them. I'll try this soon!

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Omelet

Sep 30, 2009, 10:51:20 AM9/30/09
In article <ChefToddMohr....@foodbanter.com>,
ChefToddMohr <ChefToddMohr....@foodbanter.com> wrote:

Hope you don't mind if I file that one away for future reference... ;-d

Message has been deleted

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Sep 30, 2009, 12:10:51 PM9/30/09
In article <h9vs0m$rfv$2...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> To go along with that olive spread, you need the right bread to make a good
> sandwich; here's the best you'll be able to come up with, unless you live in
> New Orleans.

Thank you. I will try that as well.

Lou Decruss

Sep 30, 2009, 6:29:30 PM9/30/09

I think you'll be fine. Just infuse it yourself. Boil the vinegar
and add the tarragon and let it sit for a day or so. Even use dried
if you have to. It's just a recipe and I won't tell anyone. <g>

Lou

Don Martinich

Sep 30, 2009, 9:56:32 PM9/30/09
In article <2it3c5hipta5bga0v...@4ax.com>,
Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

> I saw the thread and thought I should share my favorite recipes that
> have capers in them. Like James I like them right out of the jar.
>
> Lou

Squid Salad

You need to find some very fresh or freshly thawed commercially frozen
whole squid (or cuttlefish). Unfrozen squid has a very short shelf life.
(All you have to do is smell it.) Clean them, saving the mouth/tentacle
parts and cut the mantle into 3/4" wide rings. Poach them quickly in
fish or chicken stock and cool. Chop finely some sweet onions and
Italian parsley. Mix with squid and add capers (the larger size like
Surfine ) to taste, minced garlic, evoo, and lemon juice or wine
vinegar, and coarsely ground pepper. Mix well and let sit for an hour or
two in a a cool area before serving. I didn't give exact portions
because you know your tastes for these ingredients better than I do.
Just keep in mind that this in a garnish or dressing and the squid
should be predominant.

D.M.

Dimitri

Oct 1, 2009, 11:09:35 AM10/1/09

"Lou Decruss" <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote in message
>I saw the thread and thought I should share my favorite recipes that
> have capers in them. Like James I like them right out of the jar.
>
> Lou

is it fair to call this a Caper caper?

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:

Nancy2

Oct 1, 2009, 3:18:57 PM10/1/09
On Sep 29, 10:40 am, "l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> On 29-Sep-2009, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:
>
> > I saw the thread and thought I should share my favorite recipes that
> > have capers in them.  Like James I like them right out of the jar.
>
> > Lou
> > Mako Shark with Anchovy and Caper Sauce. . .
>
> Piccata is my favorite use of capers.  I make the following recipe using
> chicken breast or pork cube steak.

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
>                              Chicken Piccata
>
> Recipe By     :Giada De Laurentiis
> Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories    :

>   Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> --------  ------------  --------------------------------
>   2                     skinless boneless chicken breast -- butterflied and
>   then cut in half
>                         Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
>                         All-purpose flour -- for dredging
>   6        tablespoons  unsalted butter
>   5        tablespoons  extra-virgin olive oil
>      1/3           cup  fresh lemon juice
>      1/2           cup  chicken stock
>      1/4           cup  brined capers -- rinsed
>      1/3           cup  fresh parsley -- chopped
>
> Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off
> excess.
>
> In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with
> 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces
> of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook
> other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more
> tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and
> oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides
> in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.
>
> Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and
> bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check
> for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
> Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and
> whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.
>
> Source:
>   "FoodNetwork; Everyday Italian, Episode#: EI1A09"
> S(Internet Address):
>   "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_223..."
> Copyright:
>   "Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved"
> Start to Finish Time:
>   "0:40"

>                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 442 Calories; 36g Fat (72.8% calories
> from fat); 28g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 115mg
> Cholesterol; 428mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 4 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 7
> Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
>
> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>
> --
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Change the chicken to sole, and the oil to butter, and you've got sole
meuniere, almost. ;-)

N.

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig

Oct 1, 2009, 3:56:55 PM10/1/09
On Oct 1, 10:09 am, "Dimitri" <Dimitr...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> "Lou Decruss" <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote

>>Like James I like them right out of the jar.
> > Lou
>
> is it fair to call this a Caper caper?
>
> --
> Dimitri
> Coming soon:http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

If Alice bought a little box covered with old pennies, would it make a
good
"Cooper's copper caper-keeper" ?
<groan>
Lynn in Fargo

Message has been deleted

Lou Decruss

Oct 1, 2009, 4:45:03 PM10/1/09
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:30:19 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I saw the thread and thought I should share my favorite recipes that
>> have capers in them. Like James I like them right out of the jar.
>>
>> Lou
>
>I love capers, too. I put them into my chicken piccata.
>
>Here's a recipe with capers that I make for parties.
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Muffaletta Olive Spread

I've never had a Muffaletta but I see one in my future. I was talking
to a buddie a few weeks ago after he went to New Orleans and he said
they're great. I do have a store-bought jar of muffaletta mix that
I've not open yet. It doesn't look as good as the recipe you posted
and I don't see any capers in it so thanks so much for posting your
recipe.

I'll also note the similarity to Chicago style Giardiniera. That
makes sense as it seems the muffaletta was originated by a Sicilian
immigrant.

Lou

Lou Decruss

Oct 1, 2009, 4:49:57 PM10/1/09
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:09:08 GMT, "l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

>On 30-Sep-2009, Ran�e at Arabian Knits <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Muffaletta Olive Spread
>>
>> Yum! We first had a muffaletta in Tulsa. I'm sure it wasn't
>> "authentic," whatever that is, but we loved them. I'll try this soon!
>

>To go along with that olive spread, you need the right bread to make a good
>sandwich; here's the best you'll be able to come up with, unless you live in
>New Orleans.
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>

> Muffuletta Bread

Thanks for posting this. I'll bet it would be good for Chicago style
Italian beef too.

Lou

Dimitri

Oct 1, 2009, 6:05:38 PM10/1/09

"l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message

> On 1-Oct-2009, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig <lynn...@i29.net> wrote:
>
>> If Alice bought a little box covered with old pennies, would it make a
>> good
>> "Cooper's copper caper-keeper" ?
>> <groan>
>> Lynn in Fargo
>
> Put that box of wine back in the refrigerator ;-)

I recluse to be doing so....

If one eats enough oatmeal cookers can one lower their cholesterol?

Gloria P

Oct 1, 2009, 6:22:57 PM10/1/09
Nancy2 wrote:

>> Chicken Piccata
>>
>> Recipe By :Giada De Laurentiis

>> 2 skinless boneless chicken breast -- butterflied and

>> then cut in half
>> Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
>> All-purpose flour -- for dredging
>> 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
>> 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
>> 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
>> 1/2 cup chicken stock
>> 1/4 cup brined capers -- rinsed
>> 1/3 cup fresh parsley -- chopped

Doesn't the recipe usually include freshly sauteed mushrooms?
I think mine does. Otherwise it's very similar and delicious.

gloria p

hahabogus

Oct 1, 2009, 7:34:53 PM10/1/09
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig <lynn...@i29.net> wrote in news:0483f085-2584-49b1-a56c-
56c3f3...@j4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com on Oct Thu 2009 02:56 pm

Capering around the KItchen with Cooper's copper caper-keeper?

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Oct 1, 2009, 7:52:50 PM10/1/09
In article <7ikoe4F...@mid.individual.net>,
Gloria P <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote:

I've never had a piccata anything that had mushrooms in it.

Omelet

Oct 1, 2009, 9:47:35 PM10/1/09
In article
<arabianknits-B2C3...@news.rainierconnect.com>,

Ran�e at Arabian Knits <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Doesn't the recipe usually include freshly sauteed mushrooms?
> > I think mine does. Otherwise it's very similar and delicious.
> >
> > gloria p
>
> I've never had a piccata anything that had mushrooms in it.

That's the beauty of home cooking. There are no hard and fast rules. :-)
One can cook to their personal tastes...

Bob Terwilliger

Oct 1, 2009, 10:57:29 PM10/1/09
Om wrote:

>>> Doesn't the recipe usually include freshly sauteed mushrooms?
>>> I think mine does. Otherwise it's very similar and delicious.
>>>
>>> gloria p
>>
>> I've never had a piccata anything that had mushrooms in it.
>
> That's the beauty of home cooking. There are no hard and fast rules. :-)
> One can cook to their personal tastes...

Sure, but is it still piccata? Or does adding the mushrooms make it
something else, say, "chicken scampi alfredo al funghi"?

Bob

Omelet

Oct 2, 2009, 1:32:45 PM10/2/09
In article <0036b769$0$1368$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

Piccata a' la' Gloria! ;-d

blake murphy

Oct 2, 2009, 2:09:32 PM10/2/09

needs ketchup.

your pal,
blake

Janet Wilder

Oct 2, 2009, 7:39:34 PM10/2/09

You are correct. A muffaletta is a New Orleans version of a "sub"
"hoagie" "grinder" or whatever your part of the country calls an
Italian-style sandwich.

Bob Terwilliger

Oct 2, 2009, 9:51:19 PM10/2/09
Om wrote:

> Piccata a' la' Gloria! ;-d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQx2TWgxX14

Bob

Omelet

Oct 3, 2009, 12:26:56 PM10/3/09
In article <007fbccb$0$30042$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

That video does not exist... or at least it would not load.
Thanks anyway.

Bob Terwilliger

Oct 3, 2009, 10:06:07 PM10/3/09
Om wrote:

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQx2TWgxX14

> That video does not exist... or at least it would not load.
> Thanks anyway.

That's weird; it works fine for me. Are you able to play other Youtube
videos?

If so, go to www.youtube.com, search for Trevor Pinnock, and the first video
should be "Vivaldi - Gloria: 1. Gloria in excelsis Deo - Trevor Pinnock -
The Enlish Concert".

It's my favorite Baroque piece; it's even suitable for playing at high
volume in the car.

Bob

Omelet

Oct 5, 2009, 2:33:03 PM10/5/09