Chickpea "meringues" re-pulse-ive.

graham

Dec 14, 2015, 9:38:31 PM12/14/15
Although I have absolutely no time for veganism and vegans, the idea of
using chickpea liquid intrigued the scientist in me and I had to try it.
As it happened, I was going to use some chickpeas in a soup so it was no
trouble to try the recipe that was posted here last week.

The ~275ml whipped up to almost fill a 2.5litre bowl as you can see.

This is the foam from the liquid from a can of chickpeas:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2jese86.jpg

The recipe called for a volume of sugar equal to the amount of liquid
but, bearing in mind the overly sweet teeth of the average US baker, I
cut the amount back by ~30%. I also added a "slug" of vanilla essence.

The "meringues" prior to baking were typically voluminous but they
spread during baking:
http://i66.tinypic.com/sy0d1j.jpg

This is the result in cross section:
http://i67.tinypic.com/2qcnp02.jpg

The resulting "cookies" melt in the mouth but even with the reduced
sugar content, are *disgustingly sweet* and would readily contribute to
the obesity epidemic. There is an obvious background chickpea flavour.

A savoury version would work well to accompany cheese. However, the foam
is very delicate and when I tried adding a powdered herb/spice mix to
another batch (sans sugar) it deflated. Perhaps just baking them without
sugar would be preferable and it might be worth trying a little Tabasco.
However, I shan't try another version until I feel the need for
chickpeas in a soup or stew.

I really think vegans should have their heads examined. Humans are
omnivores and meat is part of a *normal* diet.

Graham

Bruce

Dec 14, 2015, 10:19:20 PM12/14/15
On 15/12/2015 13:38 graham wrote:

> Although I have absolutely no time for veganism and vegans,

Just like vegans have no time for people who like to chew on
dead animal matter. Ghe.

--
Bruce

tert in seattle

Dec 15, 2015, 12:10:06 AM12/15/15
graham wrote:

> Humans are omnivores and meat is part of a *normal* diet.
>
> Graham

"In other words, there is very little evidence that our guts are terribly
special and the job of a generalist primate gut is primarily to eat
pieces of plants."

<http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/>

he goes on to say that human gut microbes may have evolved to help with
digestion of meat but the science on that is new

Bruce

Dec 15, 2015, 12:10:54 AM12/15/15
On 15/12/2015 15:24 Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 19:38:30 -0700, graham wrote:
>
>> I really think vegans should have their heads examined. Humans are
>> omnivores and meat is part of a *normal* diet.
>
> I've always taken into account that vegetarians (and vegans) have set
> the flavor bar pretty low when they brag about how good something
> tastes.

Or they're better cooks than y'all because they can't just char a
hamburger.

--
Bruce

Sqwertz

Dec 15, 2015, 12:29:13 AM12/15/15
On 12/14/2015 9:24 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> they brag about how good something
> tastes.
>
> -sw
swe...@cluemail.compost
<1qauy6zyozuo9$.d...@sqwertz.com>
Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:18:00 -0600
MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4
ab...@blocknews.net

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

And before that the subhuman virus stalked poor Omelet right of the net!

swe...@cluemail.compost
<i6x4dy0h0232$.d...@sqwertz.com>
3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

> The facebook group is much more pleasant.

Only because you cower there in mortal fear of being booted by the admins.

You're _done_ here virus, I mean really done.

Bruce

Dec 15, 2015, 12:34:08 AM12/15/15
Our bodies don't mind if we eat meat or not. We're free to decide
that.

--
Bruce

sf

Dec 15, 2015, 1:39:09 AM12/15/15
Looks like it could work for someone with an egg allergy.

--

sf

Ophelia

Dec 15, 2015, 6:03:53 AM12/15/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
We never eat hamburgers let alone char one ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Bruce

Dec 15, 2015, 6:15:32 AM12/15/15
I know, just trying to make a point :)

--
Bruce

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 15, 2015, 6:32:39 AM12/15/15
Great test - thanks for showing results - I'll stick with eggs being a
heathen.

Ophelia

Dec 15, 2015, 7:31:24 AM12/15/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
Okiedokie:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Gary

Dec 15, 2015, 9:32:38 AM12/15/15
Ophelia wrote:

> We never eat hamburgers let alone char one ..

How about bunny burgers?

Brooklyn1

Dec 15, 2015, 9:42:53 AM12/15/15
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:03:42 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I've always taken into account that vegetarians (and vegans) have set
>>> the flavor bar pretty low when they brag about how good something
>>> tastes.
>>
>> Or they're better cooks than y'all because they can't just char a
>> hamburger.
>
>We never eat hamburgers.

But you say that you grind your own meat... I know there are infinite
uses for ground meat but why don't you ever eat hamburgers, just
curious.

Brooklyn1

Dec 15, 2015, 9:56:39 AM12/15/15
That's not true... humans must eat some meat to survive, they must
ingest particular amino acids that are not present in any vegetables.

Ophelia

Dec 15, 2015, 10:13:21 AM12/15/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:56702444...@att.net...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> We never eat hamburgers let alone char one ..
>
> How about bunny burgers?

lol no! I told you how I cook my bunnies and I haven't been able to
persuade him to let me make them into burgers:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Dec 15, 2015, 10:13:21 AM12/15/15

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message
We don't like them, nor are we terribly keen on meat loaf. I have tried but
we prefer our minced meat in sauces, ie bolognese, for lasagna etc.,
shepherd's pie, cottage pie ... that kind of stuff. I don't just grind meat
on my machine, I use it for other stuff too.

Incidentally, I don't 'say' I grind my own meat ... I 'DO' grind my own
meat!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Gary

Dec 15, 2015, 10:20:28 AM12/15/15
Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:56702444...@att.net...
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> We never eat hamburgers let alone char one ..
> >
> > How about bunny burgers?
>
> lol no! I told you how I cook my bunnies and I haven't been able to
> persuade him to let me make them into burgers:))

I'll bet if you grind a little bit with some beef fat, he might change
his mind.

Ophelia

Dec 15, 2015, 11:05:18 AM12/15/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:56702F79...@att.net...
Why don't you come for a visit and I will make them for you!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Abiquiu

Dec 15, 2015, 11:36:30 AM12/15/15
Right on!

Groupkilla

Dec 15, 2015, 11:46:30 AM12/15/15
Sqwertz wrote:
> how good something
> tastes.
>
> -sw

Janet

Dec 15, 2015, 11:59:01 AM12/15/15
In article <ep907bt8rongnr7p2...@4ax.com>, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...
The essential amino acids humans need, are available in eggs and dairy
(and beans and nuts) so vegetarians who eat those will have no
deficiency.

Janet UK

tert in seattle

Dec 15, 2015, 1:40:05 PM12/15/15
It's true that humans are omnivores if you describe human behavior,
and if that's what Graham means by "normal" then I can't really argue
with that can I?

But I suspect that what most people are murkily attaching to "normal"
is some foundation in biology, and the evidence from that perspective
decidedly shows that a diet heavy in meat is not "normal".

tert in seattle

Dec 15, 2015, 1:40:06 PM12/15/15
ha ha ha idiot

notbob

Dec 15, 2015, 1:48:31 PM12/15/15
On 2015-12-15, tert in seattle <te...@ftupet.com> wrote:

> decidedly shows that a diet heavy in meat is not "normal".

Get a clue! Even ground squirrels eat their own.

nb

jmcquown

Dec 15, 2015, 2:16:39 PM12/15/15
Squirrels eat eggs, too. They'll also eat baby birds if they can manage
to invade a nest not protected by a mother bird.

Then again, birds also eat eggs. I've seen them do it. There was a
funny moment many years ago when I was sitting on my apartment balcony
after work. A woman came down the walkway carrying two bags of
groceries. She dropped a carton of eggs. I guess not all of them broke
because she picked up what was left and walked on to her apartment. Not
a minute later, a bunch of house finches decended from the pine trees
nearby. They ate the broken chicken eggs.

Many birds will invade a nest and eat the hatchlings. Hence, the cowbird.

Nature is cruel. Nature knows we need all sorts of foodstuffs to
survive. That includes greens, seeds and grains. But no, we don't all
have to be vegetarians. :)

Jill

Bruce

Dec 15, 2015, 2:45:50 PM12/15/15
Are you saying I'm dead?

--
Bruce

Bruce

Dec 15, 2015, 2:52:30 PM12/15/15
Are you saying people have to eat meat because ground squirrels eat
their own?

--
Bruce

Bruce

Dec 15, 2015, 2:55:51 PM12/15/15
Nor do we have to be meat eaters. We have a choice. If there's a
difference healthwise, vegetarians are probably a bit healthier, also
depending on which meats and how much.

--
Bruce

zxcvbob

Dec 15, 2015, 4:29:31 PM12/15/15
graham wrote:
> Although I have absolutely no time for veganism and vegans, the idea of
> using chickpea liquid intrigued the scientist in me and I had to try it.
> As it happened, I was going to use some chickpeas in a soup so it was no
> trouble to try the recipe that was posted here last week.
>
> The ~275ml whipped up to almost fill a 2.5litre bowl as you can see.
>
> This is the foam from the liquid from a can of chickpeas:
> http://i64.tinypic.com/2jese86.jpg

[snip]
> I really think vegans should have their heads examined. Humans are
> omnivores and meat is part of a *normal* diet.
>
> Graham

The pun in the subject line was quite clever. :) (just in case you
thought nobody got it)

Bob

graham

Dec 15, 2015, 5:16:28 PM12/15/15
Thanks! :-)
Graham

Brooklyn1

Dec 15, 2015, 7:09:33 PM12/15/15
Vegetarians/vegans don't eat eggs, or so they claim, and the vital
amino acids are simply not available in beans or nuts.

Abiquiu

Dec 15, 2015, 7:17:14 PM12/15/15
He's not far off you know.

Brooklyn1

Dec 15, 2015, 7:18:59 PM12/15/15
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 19:43:15 -0000 (UTC), Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid>
wrote:
No, I'm saying you cheat... ALL so called vegetarians cheat.... I've
caught neighbors who claimed to be vegetarians eating balogna in a
parking lot, friggin' crappy Oscar Mayer. Blech If they're gonna
cheat at least with a decent steak. Brruthcie cheats by sucking penis
and swallowing man juice.

Nunya Bidnits

Dec 15, 2015, 7:21:54 PM12/15/15

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

>Vegetarians/vegans don't eat eggs, or so they claim, and the
>vital
>amino acids are simply not available in beans or nuts.

Which specific vital amino acids are you talking about?

Groupkilla

Dec 15, 2015, 7:43:43 PM12/15/15
Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Which specific vital amino acids are you talking about?
Sending folks viruses?

You're beneath scum.

> The Inconvenient Truth wrote:
>
> 7/21/2011 11:57 AM
> rec.food.cooking, alt.sports.football.pro.gb-packers
>
>> Post flames are like getting the silver in the Olympics.
>>
>> Even if you win, you still lose.
>>
>> I am warning you now for the last time. I am not a snitch. But if you
>> try to
>> email me one more virsus like you did yesterday, you're getting a
>> visit from
>> law enforcement. I'm not joking about this. Quit it.

Dave Smith

Dec 15, 2015, 7:57:17 PM12/15/15
On 2015-12-15 19:18, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> No, I'm saying you cheat... ALL so called vegetarians cheat.... I've
> caught neighbors who claimed to be vegetarians eating balogna in a
> parking lot, friggin' crappy Oscar Mayer. Blech If they're gonna
> cheat at least with a decent steak. Brruthcie cheats by sucking penis
> and swallowing man juice.

My best example and reason I will not cater to vegans is my nephew's
daughter who appeared unexpectedly at a pot luck Boxing Day family
party. I didn't know she was in town or that she was vegan. She arrived
late, just as 15 people were ready to eat. My wife scoured the cupboards
looking for some something she could <?> eat.

About a year and a half later she was sitting across from my at a buffet
and I just had to check out her plate. It was loaded with beef, pork,
chicken, shrimp, fish......

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 1:11:19 AM12/16/15
Let's distinguish between vegetarians and vegans. Vegetarians
can eat eggs, butter, milk. Vegans don't.

--
Bruce

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 1:13:26 AM12/16/15
And because your neighbours cheat, all vegetarians cheat. Interesting
logic.

>Brruthcie cheats by sucking penis and swallowing man juice.

Lol, I'm talking to a child.

--
Bruce (not a vegetarian)

Ophelia

Dec 16, 2015, 4:37:26 AM12/16/15

"graham" <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
Don't worry, I got it <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Gary

Dec 16, 2015, 8:16:01 AM12/16/15
Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:

> > Ophelia wrote:
> >> lol no! I told you how I cook my bunnies and I haven't been able to
> >> persuade him to let me make them into burgers:))
> >
> > I'll bet if you grind a little bit with some beef fat, he might change
> > his mind.
>
> Why don't you come for a visit and I will make them for you!

I'm having trouble getting a passport for Mia. :-o
Evidently, the US never thought of that situation.
Not only that, the airlines want me to pay for an extra seat.
Really? :)

BTW - how do you cook rabbit? If you've told, I've forgotten. My
grandfather loved rabbit hunting and I often ate it there when I was
young. I don't ever remember fried or so but I do remember various
casseroles that contained bunny meat. good eats!

Gary

Dec 16, 2015, 8:47:08 AM12/16/15
Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Vegetarians/vegans don't eat eggs, or so they claim, and the vital
> amino acids are simply not available in beans or nuts.

Vegetarians eat dairy, just not meat.
I've heard it said that the "egg" is almost the perfect food.
Fat and protein in the yolk and the egg-white contains
most or all of the required amino acids.

Dave Smith

Dec 16, 2015, 9:48:33 AM12/16/15
On 2015-12-16 8:14 AM, Gary wrote:

> BTW - how do you cook rabbit? If you've told, I've forgotten. My
> grandfather loved rabbit hunting and I often ate it there when I was
> young. I don't ever remember fried or so but I do remember various
> casseroles that contained bunny meat. good eats!

It is tasty and, in my experience, best braised. Rabbit meat used to be
quite cheap but I was astounded at the high price of it the last time I
saw it for sale. It was one meat we never had at home when I was a kid.
My father's parents ran a rabbit ranch and they ate way too much rabbit
during the Depression.

Ophelia

Dec 16, 2015, 9:50:00 AM12/16/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:567163CD...@att.net...
> Ophelia wrote:

>> > I'll bet if you grind a little bit with some beef fat, he might change
>> > his mind.
>>
>> Why don't you come for a visit and I will make them for you!
>
> I'm having trouble getting a passport for Mia. :-o
> Evidently, the US never thought of that situation.
> Not only that, the airlines want me to pay for an extra seat.
> Really? :)

Pah you can't come without Mia!!! I am afraid you will just have to do
without <g>

> BTW - how do you cook rabbit? If you've told, I've forgotten. My
> grandfather loved rabbit hunting and I often ate it there when I was
> young. I don't ever remember fried or so but I do remember various
> casseroles that contained bunny meat. good eats!

I always used to slow cook it but the last couple of times, I cooked it in
the pressure cooker and when it was cool, I coated it and fried it off. He
doesn't want it any other way now:))

I make my own coating if you are interested but I think you have your own
favourites.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Janet

Dec 16, 2015, 9:55:51 AM12/16/15
In article <8la17bp92mtpme195...@4ax.com>, gravesend10
You're mininformed. The difference between vegans and vegetarians is
that vegetarians DO eat eggs, milk and cheese etc. Vegans don't.

Janet UK

Janet

Dec 16, 2015, 9:59:41 AM12/16/15
In article <n4qv5c$dq$1...@dont-email.me>, Br...@Bruce.invalid says...
Its amazing that in a discussion group about food, there are still
longterm posters ignorant of either term or the difference between
them.

Janet UK

Gary

Dec 16, 2015, 10:04:02 AM12/16/15
Ophelia wrote:

> I always used to slow cook it but the last couple of times, I cooked it in
> the pressure cooker and when it was cool, I coated it and fried it off. He
> doesn't want it any other way now:))
>
> I make my own coating if you are interested but I think you have your own
> favourites.

Please do tell. I do have my own frying coating preferences but I'm
always willing to learn other and maybe better ways. :) Also...do
you ever add some kind of fat or just eat it lean?

Dave Smith

Dec 16, 2015, 10:11:55 AM12/16/15
On 2015-12-16 9:55 AM, Janet wrote:

>> Vegetarians/vegans don't eat eggs, or so they claim, and the vital
>> amino acids are simply not available in beans or nuts.
>
> You're mininformed. The difference between vegans and vegetarians is
> that vegetarians DO eat eggs, milk and cheese etc. Vegans don't.

Some do. Some don't. The Wikipedia article about vegetarianism lists
about a dozen types if them. Some eat eggs but not dairy while some eat
dairy but not eggs. Some eat only fruits and vegetables that can be
eaten without harming the plant. Each seems to think they are entitled
to bragging rights for their particular school of vegetarianism.

graham

Dec 16, 2015, 10:19:23 AM12/16/15
Move to Canmore, Alberta. There are plenty there for the taking.
Graham

graham

Dec 16, 2015, 10:20:42 AM12/16/15
... and expect those around them to cater to their every whim!
Graham

graham

Dec 16, 2015, 10:22:22 AM12/16/15
I have a colleague who won't eat anything that has/had eyes.
Graham

Dave Smith

Dec 16, 2015, 10:34:56 AM12/16/15
On 2015-12-16 10:20 AM, graham wrote:

>> Some do. Some don't. The Wikipedia article about vegetarianism lists
>> about a dozen types if them. Some eat eggs but not dairy while some eat
>> dairy but not eggs. Some eat only fruits and vegetables that can be
>> eaten without harming the plant. Each seems to think they are entitled
>> to bragging rights for their particular school of vegetarianism.
>>
> ... and expect those around them to cater to their every whim!

Yep. That has been my experience. A friend told me recently about his
son and DiL becoming vegetarian and coming for a visit. They made some
vegetarian dishes but the son objected to them serving meat. They didn't
have to have any. One of my nephews and his wife vegetarian. They
always make the drive down to my brothers for Christmas, Easter and
Thanksgiving, the major feast holidays that feature large roasts, but
they do not want meat served. One year SiL could not cook the meal and
no one else stepped up to take over so they decider to order Chinese
food. The son and DiL wanted them to order only vegetarian dishes.

My brother and his wife cater to their diet, much to the disgust of
another of their sons who usually accepts a standing invitation to our
place. When the parents go to visit with the vegetarians there is no
reciprocal dietary accommodation. The DiL was upset that my brother
dared to cook a steak on their as BBQ. If my brother wants meat with a
meal up there he has to take everyone out for dinner and he gets stuck
with the bill.

Dave Smith

Dec 16, 2015, 10:35:43 AM12/16/15
>\\

We have a friend who says she won't eat anything whose feet have touched
water.

Gary

Dec 16, 2015, 10:38:05 AM12/16/15
Dave Smith wrote:

> The Wikipedia article about vegetarianism lists
> about a dozen types if them. Some eat eggs but not dairy while some eat
> dairy but not eggs. Some eat only fruits and vegetables that can be
> eaten without harming the plant.

I have a good vegetarian friend that skips meat only because he loves
animals and won't promote killing them. Most of us are sheltered from
the killing part. Just buy nice tasty meat at the grocery store. I'd
be willing to bet some would become vegetarians if they actually did
have to kill and process for meat.

If that was the case, I would probably eat less meat but maybe not
quit completely. When I was a young teenager, I thought hunting was so
cool. Once I finally started doing it, it was a completely different
ball game. I went deer hunting twice. Once with my grandfather and we
never saw one. The next time was with a friend and I could have so
easily shot this deer (it was only about 50' away and I had my gun up
aiming at it). But it just stood there looking at me, all cute and
innocent, dammit. I ended up lowering my gun and shooing it away.

Then I've told my one rabbit hunting kill story here before. After
than, I went home, cleaned my shotgun and eventually sold it.

Janet

Dec 16, 2015, 10:44:19 AM12/16/15
In article <JF2cy.9$cu...@fx13.iad>, adavid...@sympatico.ca says...

> My best example and reason I will not cater to vegans is my nephew's
> daughter who appeared unexpectedly at a pot luck Boxing Day family
> party. I didn't know she was in town or that she was vegan. She arrived
> late, just as 15 people were ready to eat. My wife scoured the cupboards
> looking for some something she could <?> eat.

in that circumstance I would have handed her a plate and said "help
yourself to whatever you can eat" (surely some vegetables, salad, fruit,
potatoes or rice or beans or bread at a potluck ?); no embarrassment for
anyone.

Janet UK

Janet

Dec 16, 2015, 10:51:31 AM12/16/15
In article <567163CD...@att.net>, g.ma...@att.net says...

> I'm having trouble getting a passport for Mia. :-o
> Evidently, the US never thought of that situation.
> Not only that, the airlines want me to pay for an extra seat.
> Really? :)

Don't forget her rabies vaccination certificate.

Traditionally, ferrets travel down the trousers or up the sleeve of
their owner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret-legging

Janet UK

MisterDiddyWahDiddy

Dec 16, 2015, 11:08:40 AM12/16/15
On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 10:05:18 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:56702F79...@att.net...
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> "Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message

> >> lol no! I told you how I cook my bunnies and I haven't been able to
> >> persuade him to let me make them into burgers:))
> >
> > I'll bet if you grind a little bit with some beef fat, he might change
> > his mind.
>
> Why don't you come for a visit and I will make them for you!

Or you could visit Gary. If you haven't seen the USA Southwest...
One thing that the Casa troll agree on is that New Mexico and Arizona
are stunning.

--Bryan

Gary

Dec 16, 2015, 11:12:20 AM12/16/15
Dave Smith wrote:

> We have a friend who says she won't eat anything whose feet have touched
> water.

??? WTH? lol

Ophelia

Dec 16, 2015, 11:29:02 AM12/16/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:56717D22...@att.net...
Do you mean how do I fry it? I fry it in whatever ...

For mix: fresh breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder,
salt, grated mozzarella.

Don't ask me for quantities because I don't measure, but it seems I could
coat just about anything in that and D will ask for more (???)) I just add
the stuff until it looks right. Oh he likes chops coated in that too.

Oh the bread is my own mix with seeds and wheat flakes

Sorry can't help you more then that.

*awaits sneers* :))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Dec 16, 2015, 11:51:30 AM12/16/15

"MisterDiddyWahDiddy" <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote in message
In my younger years maybe, but I have done too much travelling and living in
different countries. I am happy to stay here now:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Nunya Bidnits

Dec 16, 2015, 12:23:12 PM12/16/15

"graham" wrote in message news:Kkfcy.167$TE6...@fx41.iad...

>I have a colleague who won't eat anything that has/had eyes.
>Graham

A Buddhist perhaps?

graham

Dec 16, 2015, 12:28:16 PM12/16/15
A secular Jew.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 16, 2015, 1:01:39 PM12/16/15
He's been ignorant of the difference between vegetarian
and vegan for quite a while, has been informed of the
difference, and still refuses to learn.

Vegetarians: Won't eat anything that kills an animal
Vegan: Won't eat anything that inconveniences an animal

Cindy Hamilton

Nunya Bidnits

Dec 16, 2015, 1:11:40 PM12/16/15
On 12/16/2015 10:22 AM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> A Buddhist perhaps?
> So yeah, consider me an asshole. I'd be dejected if you
> thought of me in any other way. I'm an asshole and there's nothing
you can
> do about it, cretin.
>
> BTW, this group is hereby KILLED. Li'l boner was right! Yo poor slobs
> shoulda LISTENED!
>
> MUAHahahahaHAA! You DIE!
>
> So all of you go away. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here.
> BEGONE!
>
> I mean it.
>
> !! Come on, man.
>
> Now.
>
> Grrr....
>
> Drat. You aren't moving very fast.
>
> You folks already heard about The Agonizingly Slow Groupkillas,
didn't ya.
> Over in RFC.
>
> You aren't skeered any more, are ya.
>
> Well crap.
>
> Yeah, ok, we are indeed agonizingly slow at killing groups and we
were found
> out. Exposed. We admit this.
>
> OK then. Take your time but get the hell out. When you're ready No rush,
> but hurry up.
>
> And you're still killed. I mean it.
>
> On Behalf of The Agonizingly Slow Groupkillas® Cabal (TINASG®C),
>
> MartyB
> Supreme Exalted Leader and President for Life
> The Agonizingly Slow Groupkillas® Cabal (TINASG®C)
> Member #007 (license to groupkill)
> (adv)
> You too can become an Agonizingly Slow Groupkilla®! It's FREE! You are a
> member when you say you are. Just pick any title at all you want to claim
> for yourself, and assign yourself a any member number you like.
Except mine,
> of course.

Nunya Bidnits

Dec 16, 2015, 1:12:37 PM12/16/15
On 12/15/2015 5:21 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Which specific vital amino acids are you talking about?

Moe DeLoughan

Dec 16, 2015, 1:20:38 PM12/16/15
Linda McCartney said she wouldn't eat anything that had a face. I
said, Oh, too bad for Paul.

Abiquiu

Dec 16, 2015, 1:25:46 PM12/16/15
Gary wrote:
> BTW - how do you cook rabbit?

Fried and then braised, you?

Abiquiu

Dec 16, 2015, 1:29:18 PM12/16/15
Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message

>>> Why don't you come for a visit and I will make them for you!
>>
>> I'm having trouble getting a passport for Mia. :-o
>> Evidently, the US never thought of that situation.
>> Not only that, the airlines want me to pay for an extra seat.
>> Really? :)
>
> Pah you can't come without Mia!!! I am afraid you will just have to do
> without <g>
>

>> BTW - how do you cook rabbit? If you've told, I've forgotten. My
>> grandfather loved rabbit hunting and I often ate it there when I was
>> young. I don't ever remember fried or so but I do remember various
>> casseroles that contained bunny meat. good eats!
>
> I always used to slow cook it but the last couple of times, I cooked it
> in the pressure cooker and when it was cool, I coated it and fried it
> off. He doesn't want it any other way now:))

That sounds VERY nice!

> I make my own coating if you are interested but I think you have your
> own favourites.

Let's hear yours, please.

Abiquiu

Dec 16, 2015, 1:30:17 PM12/16/15
Good time to buy with US$, your economy is tanked.

Abiquiu

Dec 16, 2015, 1:35:46 PM12/16/15
AMEN!!!!!

Abiquiu

Dec 16, 2015, 1:44:10 PM12/16/15
ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Punch Line of the week!!!!

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 1:53:21 PM12/16/15
On 17/12/2015 01:59 Janet wrote:

> In article <n4qv5c$dq$1...@dont-email.me>, Br...@Bruce.invalid says...

>> > Vegetarians/vegans don't eat eggs, or so they claim, and the vital
>> > amino acids are simply not available in beans or nuts.
>>
>> Let's distinguish between vegetarians and vegans. Vegetarians
>> can eat eggs, butter, milk. Vegans don't.
>
> Its amazing that in a discussion group about food, there are still
> longterm posters ignorant of either term or the difference between
> them.

Yes, strange. I felt like I was stating the obvious.

--
Bruce

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 1:55:11 PM12/16/15
Just like you claim bragging rights for narrowmindedness.

--
Bruce

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 1:58:13 PM12/16/15
If I was having dinner somewhere where there were no non-meat options,
I'd simply eat anything, except the meat. No catering to any whims
required.

--
Bruce

Ophelia

Dec 16, 2015, 2:00:47 PM12/16/15

"Abiquiu" <gh...@ran.ch> wrote in message
I did, it is here somewhere.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Abiquiu

Dec 16, 2015, 2:16:41 PM12/16/15
A replay please?

Ophelia

Dec 16, 2015, 2:53:28 PM12/16/15

"Abiquiu" <gh...@ran.ch> wrote in message
Oh hang on ... OK

----------------

---------------------------------

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown

Dec 16, 2015, 4:27:43 PM12/16/15
On 12/16/2015 1:20 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> Linda McCartney said she wouldn't eat anything that had a face. I said,
> Oh, too bad for Paul.

LOL! IIRC he caught her chowing down on a hamburger once.

Jill

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 4:48:04 PM12/16/15
I know a teetotaller who once had a glass of vodka. Now what?

--
Bruce

Dave Smith

Dec 16, 2015, 5:22:15 PM12/16/15
On 2015-12-16 10:37 AM, Gary wrote:

> I have a good vegetarian friend that skips meat only because he loves
> animals and won't promote killing them. Most of us are sheltered from
> the killing part. Just buy nice tasty meat at the grocery store. I'd
> be willing to bet some would become vegetarians if they actually did
> have to kill and process for meat.

There is that to it. A lot of people scorn hunters because they think
it is cruel to get meat the old fashioned way, though it seems to be
perfectly acceptable for the native people because it is their tradition.

> Then I've told my one rabbit hunting kill story here before. After
> than, I went home, cleaned my shotgun and eventually sold it.

As I mentioned in another post, my father had had his fill of rabbit
when he was a kid in the Depression and ate way too much it. There is
an interesting scenario in his written account of escaping after being
shot down over Denmark during the war. He has sitting down on a small
hill near a rail line as a train loaded with munitions went by. He waved
at the German Guards and they waved back. A rabbit had hopped over
towards him and stood on it's hind legs, also watching the train go by.
Dad had not eaten in several days and the rabbit was close enough to
grab.... but he didn't.

Dave Smith

Dec 16, 2015, 5:31:05 PM12/16/15
On 2015-12-16 10:44 AM, Janet wrote:

>> My best example and reason I will not cater to vegans is my nephew's
>> daughter who appeared unexpectedly at a pot luck Boxing Day family
>> party. I didn't know she was in town or that she was vegan. She arrived
>> late, just as 15 people were ready to eat. My wife scoured the cupboards
>> looking for some something she could <?> eat.
>
> in that circumstance I would have handed her a plate and said "help
> yourself to whatever you can eat" (surely some vegetables, salad, fruit,
> potatoes or rice or beans or bread at a potluck ?); no embarrassment for
> anyone.

Yep. You may have noticed that I said it was my wife who scoured the
kitchen cupboards to find something the kid could eat.
This is the same great niece who was sitting across from me at a brunch
buffet about a year and a half later. Naturally I was curious about what
a vegan could find to eat at a nice brunch buffet. .... bacon, roast
beef, turkey, devilled eggs, shrimp, pickled herring, smoked salmon....

She is a prime example of why I will not cater to people who follow fad
diets. She is now an accomplished chef and actress and has done a TV
cooking show. She has a small catering business. She can do vegan
stuff, but she does real food too.

Dave Smith

Dec 16, 2015, 5:37:20 PM12/16/15
On 2015-12-16 10:51 AM, Janet wrote:

> Don't forget her rabies vaccination certificate.
>
> Traditionally, ferrets travel down the trousers or up the sleeve of
> their owner.

And.... they are owned by people who seem to get a kick out of it.

Dave Smith

Dec 16, 2015, 6:01:34 PM12/16/15
On 2015-12-16 1:01 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Vegetarians: Won't eat anything that kills an animal
Cows don't intentionally kill animals.

> Vegan: Won't eat anything that inconveniences an animal

Funny how they won't eat something like honey, which doesn't really
inconvenience bees since they live to produce it, but they don't mind
eating the food that other humans have had to labour to produce.

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 6:05:03 PM12/16/15
Lol.

--
Bruce

Abiquiu

Dec 16, 2015, 6:21:38 PM12/16/15
Dave Smith wrote:
> She is now an accomplished chef and actress and has done a TV cooking
> show. She has a small catering business. She can do vegan stuff, but
> she does real food too.

I think I know who she is, long brunette hair?

Bit of a looker.

dsi1

Dec 16, 2015, 6:52:44 PM12/16/15
On 12/16/2015 4:55 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article <8la17bp92mtpme195...@4ax.com>, gravesend10
> @verizon.net says...
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:58:52 -0000, Janet <nob...@home.org> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <ep907bt8rongnr7p2...@4ax.com>, gravesend10
>>> @verizon.net says...

>>> The essential amino acids humans need, are available in eggs and dairy
>>> (and beans and nuts) so vegetarians who eat those will have no
>>> deficiency.
>>>
>>> Janet UK
>>
>> Vegetarians/vegans don't eat eggs, or so they claim, and the vital
>> amino acids are simply not available in beans or nuts.
>
> You're mininformed. The difference between vegans and vegetarians is
> that vegetarians DO eat eggs, milk and cheese etc. Vegans don't.
>
> Janet UK

My son has a friend he calls "The Evil Vegan." He entered one of those
food challenges where you have to eat a ridiculous amount of food. If he
ate a giant burrito, in 30 minutes or less, he gets it free. I went to
take a little walk when he started his half-hour because watching most
people eating like a hog makes me queasy. I come back after 20 minutes
expecting to see him fail but he had long finished. That fucker
terminated that giant veggie burrito with extreme prejudice. Truly he
was the most evil one, or at least, the most evil vegan.

Abiquiu

Dec 16, 2015, 7:11:56 PM12/16/15
No techni-veggie yawn after?

Fortunate he was.

Cheryl

Dec 16, 2015, 9:49:06 PM12/16/15
On 12/15/2015 10:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> We never eat hamburgers let alone char one ..
>>
>> How about bunny burgers?
>
> lol no! I told you how I cook my bunnies and I haven't been able to
> persuade him to let me make them into burgers:))

I can't imagine not eating a nice juicy burger, but that's me. :)

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

Cheryl

Dec 16, 2015, 9:55:08 PM12/16/15
I almost wrote the same because I've had to learn what my niece will eat
when she's here, and make sure she gets the proper nutrients at the same
time. She's not vegan, so she'll eat eggs and cheese and (sometimes)
drink milk. Kids are so hard to get to drink enough milk.

Cheryl

Dec 16, 2015, 10:05:58 PM12/16/15
On 12/15/2015 2:16 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Squirrels eat eggs, too. They'll also eat baby birds if they can manage
> to invade a nest not protected by a mother bird.
>
> Then again, birds also eat eggs. I've seen them do it. There was a
> funny moment many years ago when I was sitting on my apartment balcony
> after work. A woman came down the walkway carrying two bags of
> groceries. She dropped a carton of eggs. I guess not all of them broke
> because she picked up what was left and walked on to her apartment. Not
> a minute later, a bunch of house finches decended from the pine trees
> nearby. They ate the broken chicken eggs.

House sparrows are notorious for destruction of nests. Just watch bigger
birds like blue jays in the spring when there are sparrows around.
Sparrows have been a very destructive non-native species. Even a total
bird lover I know wouldn't bat an eye at killing a sparrow.

> Many birds will invade a nest and eat the hatchlings. Hence, the cowbird.
>
> Nature is cruel. Nature knows we need all sorts of foodstuffs to
> survive. That includes greens, seeds and grains. But no, we don't all
> have to be vegetarians. :)

Many birds will eat other birds or kill and/or eat the young or eggs of
other birds. Very right, nature is cruel. We watched a hawk swoop down
and grab a cardinal one day from my parents kitchen window. The hawk
wasn't very steady after that catch and lost control, let go of the
cardinal where it hit the big kitchen picture window. But the cardinal
got up, and flew off.

MisterDiddyWahDiddy

Dec 16, 2015, 10:16:04 PM12/16/15
On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 8:55:51 AM UTC-6, Janet wrote:
> In article <8la17bp92mtpme195...@4ax.com>, gravesend10
> @verizon.net says...
> >
> > On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:58:52 -0000, Janet <nob...@home.org> wrote:
> >
> > >In article <ep907bt8rongnr7p2...@4ax.com>, gravesend10
> > >@verizon.net says...

> > > The essential amino acids humans need, are available in eggs and dairy
> > >(and beans and nuts) so vegetarians who eat those will have no
> > >deficiency.
> > >
> > > Janet UK
> >
> > Vegetarians/vegans don't eat eggs, or so they claim, and the vital
> > amino acids are simply not available in beans or nuts.
>
> You're mininformed. The difference between vegans and vegetarians is
> that vegetarians DO eat eggs, milk and cheese etc. Vegans don't.

Another difference is that vegetarians are generally fairly normal people,
and vegans are generally fruitcakes.

> Janet UK

--Bryan

MisterDiddyWahDiddy

Dec 16, 2015, 10:24:51 PM12/16/15
On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 12:01:39 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> He's been ignorant of the difference between vegetarian
> and vegan for quite a while, has been informed of the
> difference, and still refuses to learn.
>
> Vegetarians: Won't eat anything that kills an animal
> Vegan: Won't eat anything that inconveniences an animal

I use the moniker, "Vegan Earthworm Holocaust" as my screen name on alt.punk.
Farming soybeans for tofu kills lots of earthworms.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 11:10:22 PM12/16/15
Don't most children like milk?

--
Bruce

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 11:11:32 PM12/16/15
Can we trust a fruitcake's opinion on this?

MisterDiddyWahDiddy

Dec 16, 2015, 11:23:01 PM12/16/15
My 14 YO does. Between the 3 of us, we go through 4-5 gallons a week of
whole milk, plus about a quart of half&half. I'm losing weight again, now
that I'm working again; in the 9 weeks I took off (late Aug. to late Oct) I
put on about 15 pounds. I need to cut the carbs down though, but I'm not
cutting down on milk, just potatoes (evil), and bread.

> --
> Bruce

--Bryan

Bruce

Dec 16, 2015, 11:32:20 PM12/16/15
I still suffer from milk PTSD after having been exposed to "school milk"
as a child: frozen in winter, curdled in summer.

--
Bruce

sf

Dec 17, 2015, 1:16:23 AM12/17/15
On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 04:07:46 -0000 (UTC), Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid>
wrote:
My husband told me just today that he stopped drinking milk at an
early age because it made him feel bad. I know as an adult, his
tolerance is one mug of hot chocolate.

--

sf

sf

Dec 17, 2015, 1:19:16 AM12/17/15
On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 04:29:25 -0000 (UTC), Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid>
wrote:

> I still suffer from milk PTSD after having been exposed to "school milk"
> as a child: frozen in winter, curdled in summer.

Sorry to hear it! I attended a 3 room school house and that never
happened to our milk.

--

sf

Bruce

Dec 17, 2015, 1:21:03 AM12/17/15
I guess I went to school before refrigeration.

--
Bruce

Ophelia

Dec 17, 2015, 5:58:57 AM12/17/15

"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Preferences eh? :))))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 17, 2015, 7:02:00 AM12/17/15
On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 6:01:34 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-12-16 1:01 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Vegetarians: Won't eat anything that kills an animal
> Cows don't intentionally kill animals.

You're right, that was badly worded.

> > Vegan: Won't eat anything that inconveniences an animal
> >

> Funny how they won't eat something like honey, which doesn't really
> inconvenience bees since they live to produce it, but they don't mind
> eating the food that other humans have had to labour to produce.

I'd like to think it has do to with free will: that humans can
choose to labor producing food where bees can't. But it's probably
that they think animals are more worthy of respect than humans.

It's funny. You always see those types throwing red paint on women in
fur coats, never on bikers in leather. So much for principles.

Cindy Hamilton
It is loading more messages.