Anthony Bourdain's "Medium Raw" grilling of celebrity chefs

Dave U. Random

Jun 17, 2010, 12:31:13 PM6/17/10
(NPR.org) - Ten years ago, Anthony Bourdain was standing next to a
deep fryer 14 to 16 hours a day, and that was the world he thought
he'd be in for the rest of his life. Then, his book "Kitchen
Confidential" came out, and his life changed almost overnight...

The past 10 years of eating and drinking and traveling have
provided plenty of fodder for Bourdain's new book, "Medium Raw - A
Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook"
(Amazon: http://xrl.us/MediumRaw ). In it, he details a very
different food world from the one he saw from the deep fryer in
which celebrity chefs inspire cultlike followings, and nothing �
not even the classic American hamburger � is sacred...

Continued: http://xrl.us/MediumRaw2

ImStillMags

Jun 17, 2010, 1:18:56 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 9:31 am, Dave U. Random <anonym...@anonymitaet-im-

inter.net> wrote:
> (NPR.org) - Ten years ago, Anthony Bourdain was standing next to a
> deep fryer 14 to 16 hours a day, and that was the world he thought
> he'd be in for the rest of his life. Then, his book "Kitchen
> Confidential" came out, and his life changed almost overnight...
>
> The past 10 years of eating and drinking and traveling have
> provided plenty of fodder for Bourdain's new book, "Medium Raw - A
> Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook"
> (Amazon:http://xrl.us/MediumRaw). In it, he details a very

> different food world from the one he saw from the deep fryer in
> which celebrity chefs inspire cultlike followings, and nothing
> not even the classic American hamburger is sacred...
>
> Continued:http://xrl.us/MediumRaw2

We can thank, or villify, Bourdain for taking the 'back of the house'
out of the closet and bringing it into the light of day.
People had no idea what really went on in restaurant kitchens till his
book came out.
Whether the revelations were a good or a bad thing depends on which
side of the kitchen doors you are on.

I do like the man though. He's grown on me over the years.

Virginia Tadrzynski

Jun 17, 2010, 3:11:59 PM6/17/10

"ImStillMags" <sitar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I'm with you on this. He does grow on you. And, the biggest thing that
impresses is the fact he admits he has warts and skeletons in his closet and
makes no denials or excuses, he is what he is.

I just read a blog posting on one of his latest rants. He's trying to
convince his young child the 'evils' of fast food. Hilarious.
-ginny

ImStillMags

Jun 17, 2010, 3:50:45 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 12:11 pm, "Virginia Tadrzynski" <ta...@ptd.net> wrote:
> "ImStillMags" <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ginny, could you post a link? Thanks.

Virginia Tadrzynski

Jun 17, 2010, 4:15:12 PM6/17/10

"ImStillMags" <sitar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/12/anthony-bourdain-war-fast-food

sf

Jun 17, 2010, 4:21:55 PM6/17/10
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:50:45 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
<sitar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://xrl.us/MediumRaw2

scroll down to the second article

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

A Moose In Love

Jun 17, 2010, 4:38:04 PM6/17/10
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/12/anthony-bourdain-w...- Hide quoted text -

The guy's long winded. A word non-smith. He could say what he wants
to say using 1/10th of the number of words he used. If that.

Victor Sack

Jun 17, 2010, 5:59:18 PM6/17/10
[crossposting elided]

ImStillMags <sitar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> People had no idea what really went on in restaurant kitchens till his
> book came out.

They didn't? How about _Down and Out in Paris and London_ by George
Orwell, or Ludwig Bemelmans's stories, later collected in _Hotel
Bemelmans_ and _La Bonne Table_?

Victor

Gary

Jun 17, 2010, 5:57:59 PM6/17/10

I like the guy and his shows too. He likes to drink and eat odd foods. I'm
there

ImStillMags

Jun 17, 2010, 7:31:27 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 2:59 pm, azaze...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:
> [crossposting elided]

> ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > People had no idea what really went on in restaurant kitchens till his
> > book came out.
>
> They didn't?  How about _Down and Out in Paris and London_ by George
> Orwell, or Ludwig Bemelmans's stories, later collected in _Hotel
> Bemelmans_ and _La Bonne Table_?
>
> Victor

Well, there's a difference in a "tell all" and fiction. I think
most people didn't see Orwell or Bemelman as reality.

Bigbazza

Jun 17, 2010, 11:57:47 PM6/17/10

"Virginia Tadrzynski" <ta...@ptd.net> wrote in message

In relation to who the company is that you posted in this URL,
Ginny..(McDonalds) here is something interesting to McDonalds customers
....It was on a 'Current Affair' program last night gere in Sydney, Oz....

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/cooking/1071863/big-mac-or-smaller-mac
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

"Happiness is never an accident. It is the prize we get when we choose
wisely from life's great stores"

Virginia Tadrzynski

Jun 18, 2010, 12:53:58 AM6/18/10

"Bigbazza" <big-...@no.see.addy.org> wrote in message

Ya scared me there for a minute....you typed my name then McDonalds.....I'm
like 'how'd he know that'........I haven't seen my name written Ginny
McDonald in 27 years (snort).......I only wish I was getting the 'family
dividend' from those people.
-ginny

Bigbazza

Jun 18, 2010, 5:23:34 AM6/18/10

"Virginia Tadrzynski" <ta...@ptd.net> wrote in message

Lord!!!..., Ginny...Sounds like a good story...Tell us...Please :-)

Virginia Tadrzynski

Jun 18, 2010, 11:00:25 AM6/18/10

"Bigbazza" <big-...@no.see.addy.org> wrote in message
No real story. Just that McDonald was my maiden name, so until 6/11/1983 I
was Ginny McDonald. (smile). Although I did prove that the McDonald's in
Quakertown, PA was, up until recently, run by flaming morons.

I was cleaning out my old papers, id cards, and junk from my dresser and
found my old college ID. As a lark, I popped it in my purse to show a few
friends. On the way back home, my kids wanted to stop at McDonald's, so we
did. On a dare from FBS, I asked for the 'family' discount. The attendant
looked at me funny and I said, 'yeah, I'm a McDonald, Ronald's my cousin
(and yes, I actually DO have a cousin named Ronald - predates the clown)'
and I whipped out the old ID. She looked at it, called over the manager,
who looked at it, said nothing, went and got on the phone with his regional
manager. He came back and said, and I quote, "we normally don't have this
happen, but we're authorized to give you a 10% discount today". I almost
laughed and it was hard to keep a straight face..we took our food (minus the
10% discount) out to the car where I nearly wet myself laughing......The sad
part is, McDonald's has been owned by Ray Kroc's family since 1957...not a
McDonald in the bunch!
-ginny

David Harmon

Jun 18, 2010, 2:58:04 PM6/18/10
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:00:25 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Virginia
Tadrzynski" <ta...@ptd.net> wrote,

>manager. He came back and said, and I quote, "we normally don't have this
>happen, but we're authorized to give you a 10% discount today". I almost
>laughed and it was hard to keep a straight face..we took our food (minus the
>10% discount) out to the car where I nearly wet myself laughing......The sad
>part is, McDonald's has been owned by Ray Kroc's family since 1957...not a
>McDonald in the bunch!

You got the 10% "kooks, crackpots, and scary people" discount.

Victor Sack

Jun 18, 2010, 6:48:07 PM6/18/10
ImStillMags <sitar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> azaze...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:
> >
> > ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > People had no idea what really went on in restaurant kitchens till his
> > > book came out.
> >
> > They didn't?  How about _Down and Out in Paris and London_ by George
> > Orwell, or Ludwig Bemelmans's stories, later collected in _Hotel
> > Bemelmans_ and _La Bonne Table_?
>

> Well, there's a difference in a "tell all" and fiction. I think
> most people didn't see Orwell or Bemelman as reality.

What makes you think Orwell's and Bemelmans's writings appeared any more
fictional than Bourdain's "to most people"?

FWIW, Bourdain is a fan of both Orwell's and Bemelmans's and cheerfully
acknowledges their priority in the "tell all" genre.

Victor

Stormmee

Jun 20, 2010, 6:20:03 PM6/20/10
the manager of a mds i used to frequent was run by ronald, he took some guff
for that, but like he said, the money made it worth it, LOLLOL, love this
story, Lee