Chicken wings

Steve B

Jan 26, 2010, 5:56:11 PM1/26/10
I cooked some wings the other day in my Fry Daddy. Please reserve your
comments.

Thank you.

They turned out dry. I pulled them while they were whitish, not brown at
all, and they were dry and tough.

I made some batter out of FishFri for the next batch. The batter didn't
stick too good, and the doneness of them wasn't good either.

I love wings. What is the proper way to do these? I'd rather do from
scratch than buy them prepared and frozen.

Steve

piedmont

Jan 26, 2010, 5:24:29 PM1/26/10
Get fresh not frozen, cook only when room temperature, also, you could
brine for 1 hour, dry, then fry. 'Is it fryer'! Make sure oil is at
least 375 F degrees through out fry time using a thermometer. That's
about it.

--
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Chemo the Clown

Jan 26, 2010, 5:24:40 PM1/26/10

The wings must be dry...no water on them. Put in hot oil of 350
degrees until just starting to lightly brown. Remove and place on
cookie sheet with paper towels. Sprinkle a little salt on them and
then toss them in a bowl with whatever sauce you want on them. I saw
this on TV so it must be true.

Paul M. Cook

Jan 26, 2010, 6:09:51 PM1/26/10

"Steve B" <desert...@fishmail.net> wrote in message

I love wings! I soak them in buttermilk for a day or so, then pat them dry.
I like to toss them in a KFC like mix.

- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Accent

Whiz it all up in the food processor along with 2 cups of flour. Then
dredge the chicken in it. Don't fry too may at a time so the oil maintains
its heat. Works every time, nice and juicy and tender. The buttermilk
really tenderizes the meat nicely.

Paul

Pete C.

Jan 26, 2010, 6:18:05 PM1/26/10

I've abandoned the traditional chicken wings in favor of the boneless
variety. I get the max pack of chicken "tenders", pull out the tendon
bit and cut them in half. I batter with a FishFri equivalent (Drum Rock
Fish-Chic) and deep fry. After draining excess oil I toss with Red Hot
and call them done. They are very tasty, fairly low fat (no skin) and of
course there is no need for a dish to collect discarded bones.

Dave Smith

Jan 26, 2010, 6:29:57 PM1/26/10

My guess would be that it is likely due to the amount of wings that you
put into the Fry Daddy. In order to deep fry any amount of wing you
that has enough volume of fat to keep its temperature when you put the
wings in it. Otherwise, the temperature of the fat plummets. They cook,
but they don't get crisp. Instead, they get soggy from cooking in warm
fat instead of hot fat. From my understanding of Fry Daddys, they are
good for a serving or fries or something light like that. The best I
can suggest is that you deep fry your wings a few at a time. FWIW, I
have a large deep fryer, and in order to cook two servings of wings I
have to do them in at least three batches.

Dave Smith

Jan 26, 2010, 6:32:42 PM1/26/10
Paul M. Cook wrote:

> I love wings! I soak them in buttermilk for a day or so, then pat them dry.
> I like to toss them in a KFC like mix.
>
> - 1 teaspoon ground oregano
> - 1 teaspoon chili powder
> - 1 teaspoon ground sage
> - 1 teaspoon dried basil
> - 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
> - 1 teaspoon pepper
> - 2 teaspoons salt
> - 2 tablespoons paprika
> - 1 teaspoon onion salt
> - 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> - 2 tablespoons Accent
>
> Whiz it all up in the food processor along with 2 cups of flour. Then
> dredge the chicken in it. Don't fry too may at a time so the oil maintains
> its heat. Works every time, nice and juicy and tender. The buttermilk
> really tenderizes the meat nicely.

For those who like dusted wings, a friend who worked in a restaurant
told me how they did it. They added some chicken soup powder to the
flour and dredged the wings in that. I have tried it and they are
pretty good.... if you like dusted wings. I prefer to do mine without
dredging and toss them in Franks sauce with a bit of melted margarine.

Bruce

Jan 26, 2010, 8:49:14 PM1/26/10
I grill my wings on the gas grill and then mix with the hot sauce.
There are few battered wings that I like.

That said, the key to fried and battered anything is very hot oil. I
learned that the hard way. Don't get it too hot or you will have a
fire. 375� is perfect for peanut oil - try 350� for other oils. Don't
add a lot at once or the temp will drop too much and your results will
be soggy rather than crispy.

To get the batter to stick, you can add a little cornstarch or try
coating with your batter, coating in egg wash (uncooked scrambled eggs
with, or without, beer and other seasonings) and coating in batter again.

Good luck and enjoy!

Bruce

Paul M. Cook

Jan 26, 2010, 11:49:06 PM1/26/10

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Oh if we're talking hot wings, I just salt and pepper them, flour and fry
till crisp, then into a bowl of Sriracha sauce and butter. Toss and serve.
This is making me jones for wings now.

Paul

blake murphy

Jan 27, 2010, 12:27:27 PM1/27/10

the skin is the whole point to chicken wings. you got no soul.

your pal,
blake

Pete C.

Jan 27, 2010, 12:43:57 PM1/27/10

Nonsense, the wings are just a carrier for the Red Hot.

Thomas

Jan 27, 2010, 12:49:27 PM1/27/10

> Nonsense, the wings are just a carrier for the Red Hot.-

How 'bout some blue cheese mixed in with that Red Hot?

Dave Smith

Jan 27, 2010, 2:49:44 PM1/27/10
Thomas wrote:
>> Nonsense, the wings are just a carrier for the Red Hot.-
>
> How 'bout some blue cheese mixed in with that Red Hot?

Travesty. The blue cheese dressing is to go with the celery and carrot
sticks. The beer chaser is for the hot sauce.

blake murphy

Jan 28, 2010, 12:12:27 PM1/28/10

...and the red hot rides on the skin.

your pal,
blake

Christine Dabney

Jan 28, 2010, 12:36:56 PM1/28/10
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:12:27 -0500, blake murphy
<blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> the skin is the whole point to chicken wings. you got no soul.

>>> your pal,
>>> blake
>>
>> Nonsense, the wings are just a carrier for the Red Hot.
>
>...and the red hot rides on the skin.
>
>your pal,
>blake

Chicken wings rule!!!! The skin is the best.

I just roast mine..til nice and brown. Salt and pepper, of course. In
a hot oven...

When I roast a chicken, the wings are the first things I go for...
Man, those things are incredible.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

jmcquown

Jan 30, 2010, 8:30:38 AM1/30/10
"Steve B" <desert...@fishmail.net> wrote in message
There is no "proper way" to make fried wings. If you want crispy battered
wings, don't crowd the fryer. And allow some time for the batter to adhere
to them before you drop them into the hot oil. I suggest battering then
letting them set on waxed paper first. Cook them in small batches and allow
the temp of the oil to come back up to temp before adding the next batch.
They shouldn't come out "white". It's been a long time since I made these
in a fryer but the oil has to be hot to get a good result.

Jill

Message has been deleted

--Bryan

Jan 30, 2010, 10:32:42 AM1/30/10
On Jan 30, 8:15 am, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:
> I can only suggest:
>
> http://alturl.com/iz6dfor a Five-star buffalo wing recipe with 1200+
> peer reviews (easily a few days of reading but a good sign, imho).

I've gotten much better results by brining the wings with saltwater
and *lots* of cayenne, than by adding the cayenne to the flour.

> Good luck,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Message has been deleted

Food Snob®

Jan 30, 2010, 3:25:38 PM1/30/10
On Jan 30, 9:58 am, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:

> --Bryan <class...@brick.net> wrote:

> brow

> > rom

> >> I can only suggest:
>
> >>http://alturl.com/iz6dfora Five-star buffalo wing recipe with 1200+

> >> peer reviews (easily a few days of reading but a good sign, imho).
>
> > I've gotten much better results by brining the wings with saltwater
> > and *lots* of cayenne, than by adding the cayenne to the flour.
>
> >> Good luck,
>
> >> Andy
>
> > --Bryan
>
> Bryan,
>
> Nowadays, I'm a baked chicken BUM!!!
>
> I watched a "Food Paradise: Deep Fried Paradise" TV episode and was
> shocked and jealous at the same time!
>
> Deep fried chicken fried bacon?!!
>
> In ancient times, I suspect humans used to live to 500-years-old, at
> least! :D

Been reading Genesis?

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Terry Pulliam Burd

Jan 31, 2010, 2:03:23 PM1/31/10
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 08:15:30 -0600, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:

>I can only suggest:
>
>http://alturl.com/iz6d for a Five-star buffalo wing recipe with 1200+

>peer reviews (easily a few days of reading but a good sign, imho).

I don't like anything that even resembles breading on my wings. To add
a little zing, I put in just a little vinegar. The below is a tweaked
version of the recipe on the Frank's Hot Sauce bottle. I like to deep
fry the wings first to keep 'em moist, then bake them with the sauce.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Buffalo Wings

appetizers

1/4 pound Butter
1 12 oz. Frank's Hot Sauce
2 teaspoons white vinegar
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon chili powder
pinch cayenne pepper
24 chicken wings; sectioned,
; discard tips

Deep fry wings in hot oil (350�F) about 10 mins. Drain on rack.
Arrange in 13.5 x 9.5 x 2 glass baking dish.

Simmer remaining ingredients together 10 mins. Pour over chicken
wings.

Can be prepared well ahead, even frozen. Bake in 400�F oven for 20 -
30 mins.

Yield: 48 servings

Preparation Time: about 50 mi

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

---

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

Steve Pope

Jan 31, 2010, 2:20:20 PM1/31/10
Terry Pulliam Burd <ntpu...@spambot.com> wrote:

>>"Steve B" <desert...@fishmail.net> wrote:

>>> I love wings. What is the proper way to do these?

>I don't like anything that even resembles breading on my wings.

Nor do I, nor do people in Buffalo.

>To add
>a little zing, I put in just a little vinegar. The below is a tweaked
>version of the recipe on the Frank's Hot Sauce bottle. I like to deep
>fry the wings first to keep 'em moist, then bake them with the sauce.

I will partially pan-fry the wings and drumettes, then bake them,
then apply the sauce (in which I use considerably less butter
than typical recipes), bake them a few minutes longer, then add
more sauce before serving.

But I don't think all these steps are necessary... the most
important thing is to not bread them.

Steve