Pancakes - diner style?

leno...@yahoo.com

Sep 13, 2016, 1:23:48 PM9/13/16
I was in a diner recently and the pancakes served were light, fluffy and slightly elastic - not nearly as filling as homemade pancakes often are. Nor were they tasteless, but I have no idea if any wholewheat flour was used or not.

Does anyone know how to duplicate this texture? Thanks.

Lenona.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 13, 2016, 3:03:03 PM9/13/16
Sounds like yeast-raised pancakes (for the elasticity), maybe with an
overnight rise (for the flavor).

I've never tried 'em, though, so I don't have a recipe.

Cindy Hamilton

leno...@yahoo.com

Sep 14, 2016, 10:12:44 AM9/14/16
On a hunch, when I saw a dented/discounted box of Aunt Jemima mix yesterday, I bought it and used it this morning. That texture is similar, but a little more dense than the diner pancakes.

Normally, I don't buy pancake mix, since the second ingredient is sugar. I only hope that wasn't the case at the diner.

Lenona.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 14, 2016, 10:16:35 AM9/14/16
Did you enquire at the diner what their recipe might be?

leno...@yahoo.com

Sep 14, 2016, 11:26:17 AM9/14/16
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:16:35 AM UTC-4, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> Did you enquire at the diner what their recipe might be?

No, I would tend to assume that would be rude.

Taxed and Spent

Sep 14, 2016, 11:55:51 AM9/14/16
I don't think that would be rude,a nd I have asked that very question.
And I can tell you their likely answer: Krusteaz.

sf

Sep 14, 2016, 1:09:36 PM9/14/16
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 08:55:48 -0700, Taxed and Spent
<nospam...@nonospam.com> wrote:

> their likely answer: Krusteaz.

If I was going to buy a pancake mix, that's the one I'd buy.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Gary

Sep 14, 2016, 3:11:27 PM9/14/16
leno...@yahoo.com wrote:

> On a hunch, when I saw a dented/discounted box of Aunt Jemima mix yesterday, I bought it and used it this morning. That texture is similar, but a little more dense than the diner pancakes.
>
> Normally, I don't buy pancake mix, since the second ingredient is sugar. I only hope that wasn't the case at the diner.

Don't buy any pancake mix. It's so cheap and easy to make from scratch.
Use the old Betty Crocker recipe and just add a bit more milk for the
best you'll ever eat.

Cheri

Sep 14, 2016, 3:28:59 PM9/14/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:57D9A127...@att.net...
Same with cornbread. :)

Nancy2

Sep 14, 2016, 5:09:44 PM9/14/16
The texture might be from folding beaten whites into the rest of the batter
Instead of adding whole eggs.

N.

Dave Smith

Sep 14, 2016, 5:52:21 PM9/14/16
I find it hard to believe that the second ingredient in a pancake mix
would be sugar because pancakes usually have only a very small amount of
sugar in them. I will have to check, but I would be really surprised if
they had more sugar than baking powder, fats or milk powder.

I am with you about mixes. Most of them require the addition of milk,
eggs and oil, which are the expensive ingredients. I always make them
from scratch. In fact, I very rarely order pancakes in restaurants, and
especially not in pancake specialty restaurants, because they are
usually made from a mix and taste like crap. Pancakes are too easy to
make and use only basic kitchen staple ingredients. FWIW, I prefer them
with buttermilk, and if I do not have buttermilk I use milk with a bit
if vinegar added to it.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 14, 2016, 6:04:31 PM9/14/16
I mix multiple dry mix portions and use powdered buttermilk in it and
then just add water and eggs later.

Too often I'd want to make pancakes and had no buttermilk on hand, now
it is in there.

Dave Smith

Sep 14, 2016, 6:21:57 PM9/14/16
On 2016-09-14 5:09 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> The texture might be from folding beaten whites into the rest of the batter
> Instead of adding whole eggs.

That is a possibility. That is the way I make waffles.

Dave Smith

Sep 14, 2016, 6:43:30 PM9/14/16
On 2016-09-14 6:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I mix multiple dry mix portions and use powdered buttermilk in it and
> then just add water and eggs later.
>
> Too often I'd want to make pancakes and had no buttermilk on hand, now
> it is in there.

Powdered is the way to go. I almost always have some on hand. It is not
cheap, but there is no waste.

Ophelia

Sep 15, 2016, 3:09:37 AM9/15/16
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I mix multiple dry mix portions and use powdered buttermilk in it and
then just add water and eggs later.

=======

Now THAT I hadn't though of:)) Logical too, really:)))

Thanks very much:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Taxed and Spent

Sep 15, 2016, 7:52:06 AM9/15/16
On 9/15/2016 12:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
>

> I mix multiple dry mix portions and use powdered buttermilk in it and
> then just add water and eggs later.
>
> =======
>
> Now THAT I hadn't though of:)) Logical too, really:)))
>
> Thanks very much:))

My bag of Krusteaz says just add water. No eggs, no oil, no butter, no
milk. Just add water. And it contains powdered buttermilk.

Ophelia

Sep 15, 2016, 8:22:07 AM9/15/16
"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news:nre20u$e68$1...@dont-email.me...
================

Ahh a bit of a mix up here! I was applying that advice to my cornbread
recipe because I have to use dried milk in it. Sorry for not specifying.

Krusteaze is unknown to me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Taxed and Spent

Sep 15, 2016, 8:32:55 AM9/15/16
actually I was thinking of someone up thread who said the store bought
pancake mixes require you to add "all the expensive stuff".

Ophelia

Sep 15, 2016, 8:38:07 AM9/15/16
"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news:nre4df$nd0$1...@dont-email.me...
===========

I don't remember, but I suppose since I don't use that stuff I wouldn't be
interested in what to add:)

It does seem odd to buy a 'ready made' and then having to add expensive
stuff:)) But anyway, I don't remember it:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Dave Smith

Sep 15, 2016, 9:39:18 AM9/15/16
On 2016-09-15 8:32 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 9/15/2016 5:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news:nre20u$e68$1...@dont-email.me...

> actually I was thinking of someone up thread who said the store bought
> pancake mixes require you to add "all the expensive stuff".

Actually, that was probably me. Back in the days when I, like most other
people, thought you needed a mix to make pancakes, you did have to add
the expensive ingredients. People here pointed out that some mixes
require only water and gave Krusteaz as an example. I was not able to
find that here but I tried another premium brand. Perhaps Krusteaz
compare favourably to other mixes, but they suck compared to home made
pancakes.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 15, 2016, 10:12:28 AM9/15/16
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 5:52:21 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-09-14 3:12 PM, Gary wrote:
> > leno...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >>
> >> On a hunch, when I saw a dented/discounted box of Aunt Jemima mix yesterday, I bought it and used it this morning. That texture is similar, but a little more dense than the diner pancakes.
> >>
> >> Normally, I don't buy pancake mix, since the second ingredient is sugar. I only hope that wasn't the case at the diner.
> >
> > Don't buy any pancake mix. It's so cheap and easy to make from scratch.
> > Use the old Betty Crocker recipe and just add a bit more milk for the
> > best you'll ever eat.
>
> I find it hard to believe that the second ingredient in a pancake mix
> would be sugar

Second ingredient by weight, sure. Sugar is heavy. A teaspoon of
sugar is 4 grams. If I did the math right (in my head), a teaspoon of
flour is 2.5 grams. I imagine that baking powder is about as dense
as flour, or maybe just a little more.

Here's a typical American pancake recipe:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar

So by volume, more baking powder than sugar, but by mass, more
sugar than baking powder.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Sep 15, 2016, 10:45:19 AM9/15/16
You forgot the egg, milk, oil.

Here's mine that works well:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3/4 cup milk (and I always add almost twice that. Like them thin)

This (above) is the old Betty Crocker recipe.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 15, 2016, 12:21:55 PM9/15/16
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 10:45:19 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > I find it hard to believe that the second ingredient in a pancake mix
> > > would be sugar
> >
> > Second ingredient by weight, sure. Sugar is heavy. A teaspoon of
> > sugar is 4 grams. If I did the math right (in my head), a teaspoon of
> > flour is 2.5 grams. I imagine that baking powder is about as dense
> > as flour, or maybe just a little more.
> >
> > Here's a typical American pancake recipe:
> >
> > 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
> > 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> > 1 teaspoon salt
> > 1 tablespoon white sugar
> >
> > So by volume, more baking powder than sugar, but by mass, more
> > sugar than baking powder.
>
> You forgot the egg, milk, oil.

I was just interested in the dry ingredients, to illustrate how
there could be more sugar by weight than baking powder.

> Here's mine that works well:
> - 1 cup all-purpose flour
> - 1 egg
> - 3 teaspoons baking powder
> - 1/2 teaspoon salt
> - 1 tablespoon sugar
> - 2 tablespoon oil
> - 3/4 cup milk (and I always add almost twice that. Like them thin)
>
> This (above) is the old Betty Crocker recipe.

I'll take your word for it. I don't like pancakes all that well; I
prefer waffles. Pancakes OR waffles, having them for breakfast
leaves me bloated and sleepy. I prefer a bowl of oatmeal, and
if I'm going to do hard labor, a side of scrambled eggs. Or
egg, if I think I'm going to be bending over a lot and don't
want to eat very much.

Cindy Hamilton

dsi1

Sep 15, 2016, 1:14:18 PM9/15/16
That sounds about right.

dsi1

Sep 15, 2016, 1:22:57 PM9/15/16
I like to use this for cornbread. I assume it's what they use in their restaurants. With this mix, I can prepare a batch in seconds. Just dump in a bowl and add water, mix, and dump in a pan. The most time consuming part is pre-heating the oven. As I recall, it was about 11 bucks at Costco.

https://www.amazon.com/Marie-Callenders-Original-Cornbread-Mix/dp/B0045ZA2JA

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 15, 2016, 2:19:05 PM9/15/16
Really? Most people would be flattered if you ask for their
recipe for a particular dish or at least what a certain ingre-
dient is. But we're supposed to guess what an ingredient is
for a dish that YOU consumed but WE have no idea what it
would/should be.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 15, 2016, 3:02:39 PM9/15/16
I don't know what the mix tastes like, but the first copycat recipe I
found for Marie Callender's Cornbread had a cup of sugar and a mere
1/2 cup of cornmeal (and 3 cups of Bisquick). Others had more like
a 1:1 ratio of cornmeal to sugar, with a cup or two of flour. That's
too sweet even for this damnyankee.

Cindy Hamilton

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 15, 2016, 3:45:02 PM9/15/16
You sure that first recipe wasn't for a birthday cake?

;-)

dsi1

Sep 15, 2016, 5:36:59 PM9/15/16
It's a Hawaiian style of "cornbread." Please don't say that word to anybody raised with a Southern exposure. People raised in a cornbread culture will never accept this type of CB. I think it's great stuff but it really should be called "corncake."

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17156/waikiki-cornbread/

sf

Sep 15, 2016, 6:34:54 PM9/15/16
On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 10:22:47 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
I know lots of people like Marie Callenders (he used to bring their
pies home from the restaurant, back in the day) - but I've never been
impressed. IMO, the best part of those pies was the reusable tins.

dsi1

Sep 15, 2016, 9:00:35 PM9/15/16
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 12:34:54 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 10:22:47 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1ahoo.com>
It was kind of bland, mid-western, food. My in-laws took a liking to it.

Janet

Sep 16, 2016, 11:40:03 AM9/16/16
In article <221ca290-1be2-47fa...@googlegroups.com>,
itsjoan...@webtv.net says...

> On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:26:17 AM UTC-5, leno...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:16:35 AM UTC-4, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >

> > > Did you enquire at the diner what their recipe might be?
> >
> > No, I would tend to assume that would be rude.
> >

> Really? Most people would be flattered if you ask for their
> recipe for a particular dish or at least what a certain ingre-
> dient is.

I agree. I've done that many many times and *only once* ever been
refused because it was a secret.
The refusal was a restaurant's family secret recipe for scrambled
eggs, handed down from grandmother.

I had seen "scrambled eggs" on the lunch menu and commented that this
was rather unusual in that kind of restaurant (high class food and
service ) Who on earth would go to such a restaurant then order
scrambled eggs? The owner replied " These are not ordinary scrambled
eggs, not like any you've ever tasted. People come hundreds of miles to
eat this very secret recipe from my grandmother.It has never been shared
outside the family and never will be."

Naturally I thought he was joking or boasting but I reckon my
scrambled eggs are pretty damn good so of course I had to order his to
compare.

Well, they were the best most delicious scrambled eggs I have ever
eaten. The magic ingredient was indefinable, half way between a scent
and a flavour, with a specially creamy texture, and he would never tell
me how they did it. Countless guess-experiments at home with truffles,
herbs, spices, different creams, buttermilk, sourcream, yoghurt etc but
I have never managed to replicate it.

Janet UK

jmcquown

Sep 16, 2016, 12:06:18 PM9/16/16
That's actually kind of cool. :) I just hope they don't forget to tell
the next generation!

Many years ago I ate at a Cajun restaurant in Memphis (Bayou Bar &
Grill). I ordered Catfish Acadian (there's those darn Acadians again!).
I attempted to replicate it at home. I came very close but it was
missing something. I emailed the chef. He replied, "Very close, but
you forgot the celery!" Damn! How could I forget that? At any rate,
he was not at reluctant to confirm the recipe.

I really need to make that dish again. Got to buy some crawfish tail
meat first.

Jill

Dave Smith

Sep 16, 2016, 1:39:08 PM9/16/16
I managed to get some information from a chef/owner at a local
restaurant. He had a coconut shrimp appetizer with a dipping sauce that
was amazing. One night we were there and the sauce was different. When
he came around to talk I mentioned the difference and told him what I
thought was in it, and more important, what was missing. It was mustard
powder. It was red wine vinegar, marmalade and mustard powder.

jmcquown

Sep 17, 2016, 8:14:40 PM9/17/16
>> he was not reluctant to confirm the recipe.
>

> I managed to get some information from a chef/owner at a local
> restaurant. He had a coconut shrimp appetizer with a dipping sauce that
> was amazing. One night we were there and the sauce was different. When
> he came around to talk I mentioned the difference and told him what I
> thought was in it, and more important, what was missing. It was mustard
> powder. It was red wine vinegar, marmalade and mustard powder.

Either they'll be happy you're so interested as to want to make it
yourself or they'll simply refuse to tell you. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Jill

Taxed and Spent

Sep 17, 2016, 8:29:16 PM9/17/16
Or they will give you a recipe from Marie Barone.

Taxed and Spent

Sep 17, 2016, 8:30:17 PM9/17/16
Is this restaurant still open for business? It would be interesting to
see the YELP reviews.

Dave Smith

Sep 17, 2016, 9:37:40 PM9/17/16
This chef/owner was impressed that I knew it was hot mustard powder and
that it was missing that night. On another visit I asked about the
vanilla extract he used. It turned out to be from the Dominican
Replublic. His wife is Dominican and the next time he was down there
visiting family he brought back a half litre bottle of it.

leno...@yahoo.com

Sep 19, 2016, 6:39:13 PM9/19/16
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 11:40:03 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:

> I agree. I've done that many many times and *only once* ever been
> refused because it was a secret.
> The refusal was a restaurant's family secret recipe for scrambled
> eggs, handed down from grandmother.
>
> I had seen "scrambled eggs" on the lunch menu and commented that this
> was rather unusual in that kind of restaurant (high class food and
> service ) Who on earth would go to such a restaurant then order
> scrambled eggs? The owner replied " These are not ordinary scrambled
> eggs, not like any you've ever tasted. People come hundreds of miles to
> eat this very secret recipe from my grandmother.It has never been shared
> outside the family and never will be."
>
> Naturally I thought he was joking or boasting but I reckon my
> scrambled eggs are pretty damn good so of course I had to order his to
> compare.
>
> Well, they were the best most delicious scrambled eggs I have ever
> eaten. The magic ingredient was indefinable, half way between a scent
> and a flavour, with a specially creamy texture, and he would never tell
> me how they did it. Countless guess-experiments at home with truffles,
> herbs, spices, different creams, buttermilk, sourcream, yoghurt etc but
> I have never managed to replicate it.

Was this restaurant in the UK? Wherever it is, I'd love to know the name of it.

leno...@yahoo.com

Sep 19, 2016, 6:41:06 PM9/19/16
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 9:37:40 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> This chef/owner was impressed that I knew it was hot mustard powder and
> that it was missing that night. On another visit I asked about the
> vanilla extract he used. It turned out to be from the Dominican
> Replublic. His wife is Dominican and the next time he was down there
> visiting family he brought back a half litre bottle of it.

I HOPE this is not the same as the big bottles of Mexican vanilla...(shudder).

Why?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2328/is-mexican-vanilla-toxic-plus

You may be glad you read it.

Lenona.

Janet

Sep 19, 2016, 8:01:45 PM9/19/16
In article <882908ba-9b22-4b67...@googlegroups.com>,
leno...@yahoo.com says...
it was Braeval Old Mill restaurant, near Aberfoyle in Scotland . That
owner has gone now and afaik it's a tearoom now. You've missed the
worlds best scrambled eggs :-)

Janet UK

Dave Smith

Sep 19, 2016, 8:59:26 PM9/19/16
Mexican vanilla and coumarin has been discussed here in the past. This
stuff was from the Dominican Republic. It was great stuff and raked up
there with the stuff a neighbour had brought me from Grenada.