Easter Dinner 2017

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 12, 2017, 3:19:28 PM4/12/17

I've got my meal figured out and I am pleased with it.

I'm going to put our Cook's ham in the smoker and smoke it some more,
low and slow with some more hickory.
I'll also prepare scalloped potatoes and a side of asparagus. Fresh
Strawberry pie for dessert.
Nice and simple.
Not too much leftovers for 2 people to handle.

How about you? What are you preparing for the holiday?
Janet US

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 12, 2017, 4:24:26 PM4/12/17
It all sounds lip smacking to me!

I will take a baked ham to my sister-in-law's house for
the feast. I'm sure there will be the usual side dishes
and desserts.

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 12, 2017, 5:21:03 PM4/12/17
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 20:31:34 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:
>I figure I have until Friday to figure it out. I broke my left wrist last
>week and that changed my possible menu. I do know that what I make will be
>much lighter that what I was thinking a week or so ago. 8-)
>
>Easter bread should be doable; a colored, uncooked egg, wrapped in a sweet
>dough. The egg becomes "hard cooked" as the bread bakes. Since my daughter
>does not eat a variety of meats, the meat will be fish or fowl; I'm thinking
>salmon at this point. Green beans and new potatoes are a given.

Oh, darn! That's awful. The bread sounds like a tough one to me,
it's going to work your left hand and make your arm ache. The salmon,
green beans and new potatoes sound doable. Good luck with all. I'd
buy the bread or give it a miss. or -- get some of those frozen
rolls, make a kind of monkey bread where you drop them in butter and
sugar and put the egg in last. You could maybe do that one handed.
Take it easy.
Janet US

Dave Smith

Apr 12, 2017, 5:46:52 PM4/12/17
My wife has ordered a small leg of lamb for Easter dinner. My brother
and his wife are coming. He hates lamb, so my wife is also doing a
glazed peameal. That is a big chunk of peameal bacon that is simmered in
apple juice and then baked with a honey mustard glaze. I don't have a
recipe. She fakes it.... honey, mustard and a bit of flour. Every who
has ever had it raves about it. We will have some sort of potato with
it and steamed asparagus. Dessert will likely be chocolate eclairs. She
always has them when my brother comes for dinner because he loves them.

The best part of the meal will be having our son here with us. At this
moment he is in Trujillo Peru on the last day of a three week vacation
in Bolivia and Peru. In a couple hours he will be boarding a plane for a
9 hour flight to Miami. He will have a 7 hour layover there and has
arranged to get into the city for a bus tour.

I feel badly for having urged him to cancel the trip at the last minute.
Peru was hit with massive rainfall for more than a week before his
scheduled departure and the country was in a state of emergency.
Apparently things have worked out nicely and he has been having a great
time.

cshenk

Apr 12, 2017, 6:47:52 PM4/12/17
U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Naw. Bread machine to do the mixing and the rest of the shaping he
should be able to do.

cshenk

Apr 12, 2017, 6:48:24 PM4/12/17
l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> I've made the bread every Easter since my children (now 33 and 39)
> where very young; it must be made. But, I use a bread machine to
> make the dough so, no kneading. Dump the dough out after first rise,
> cut into 6 balls, plop an egg in the center, cover, let rise until
> doubled, brush bread "ring" with egg and pop in oven. Getting the
> pan in and out of the oven one-handed seems the most tricky.
>
> Thanks; I'm sure I can press my son to help with anything I find I've
> underestimated the difficulty.

There ya go ;-)

jmcquown

Apr 12, 2017, 8:05:07 PM4/12/17
On 4/12/2017 5:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 13:19:21 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> How about you? What are you preparing for the holiday?
>
> If I can find a cleaned bunny rabbit, I'll probably cook that. But I
> usually don't see them come into stores until the week after Easter.
>
> -sw

You're gonna kill the Easter Bunny? ;) I can find farmed rabbit,
cleaned, cut up, in the freezer section. At the price of over $20 for a
couple of pounds of rabbit (with bones), I wouldn't bother. Farmed
rabbit really does taste like chicken. :)

Jill

Ed Pawlowski

Apr 12, 2017, 8:51:19 PM4/12/17
My wife likes and we have it maybe once a year. IMO, it is just very
expensive chicken.
If I lived in the forest, rabbit would be a good source of meat. At the
supermarket, there are better choices, such as chicken on sale for 99
cents a pound. .

jmcquown

Apr 12, 2017, 9:37:59 PM4/12/17
LOL the invisible 99 cents a lb. chicken!

At one thing you're absolutely right: there is no point in paying as
much as I recently saw for a frozen cut up rabbit.

I'll give a quick recap of how I first prepared this pre-frozen rabbit
back around 1993. Thawed, of course. Browned in butter and olive oil
in a large skillet. I browned it in batches, then removed it from the
pan and set it aside on a plate to drain the oil. (I think it was a
plate with paper towels to absorb, circa 1993.)

I sauteed in the leftover butter and oil from browning the rabbit, 1/2 a
yellow sweet onion, diced. 2-3 fat garlic cloves, minced. A couple of
carrots, even I don't really like them. Minced celery. All cooked
until tender. Back then I didn't know the term "carmelized." Wouldn't
want them carmelized. No sugar, none of that stuff added. But I cooked
them tender.

I removed the over-softened vegetables when I cooked this previously
frozen rabbit. Not something I'll be interesting in doing again.

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 12, 2017, 10:40:32 PM4/12/17
On Wed 12 Apr 2017 03:16:17p, l not -l told us...
> I've made the bread every Easter since my children (now 33 and 39)
> where very young; it must be made. But, I use a bread machine to
> make the dough so, no kneading. Dump the dough out after first
> rise, cut into 6 balls, plop an egg in the center, cover, let rise
> until doubled, brush bread "ring" with egg and pop in oven.
> Getting the pan in and out of the oven one-handed seems the most
> tricky.
>
> Thanks; I'm sure I can press my son to help with anything I find
> I've underestimated the difficulty.

Oi! If I had a broken wrist I don't think I'd be cooking anything
for Easter. So sorry that happened to you!

We're having racks of lamb, duchess potatoes, and asparagus mornay,
along with a salad of bitter grens lightly dressed with a fresh
raspberry and fresh miint vinaigrette. I'm not baking bread this,
but stopping late on Saturday at the French bakery for crusty rolls.

David is a very picky eater, and he's really going to have to pick
his way through this meal. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

Cheri

Apr 13, 2017, 2:10:49 AM4/13/17
"U.S. Janet B." <J...@nospam.com> wrote in message
I'm still deciding. Lamb sounds good to me, and asparagus, but maybe ham
since it's cheap this week. Hubby doesn't like lamb which I make pretty
often for myself, so maybe even grill a couple of steaks instead of either.
I also will make some kind of cheesecake. It will just be us, so no worries
about shopping early or preparing.

Cheri

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 13, 2017, 7:00:07 AM4/13/17
We don't observe Easter, so we're having tandoori shrimp.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Apr 13, 2017, 8:16:01 AM4/13/17
On 2017-04-13 7:00 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> How about you? What are you preparing for the holiday?
>> Janet US
>
> We don't observe Easter, so we're having tandoori shrimp.

The holiday has little meaning for me but I appreciate the leg of lamb
dinner that my wife insists on. I just want the Laura Secord Easter egg.

Nancy Young

Apr 13, 2017, 10:41:31 AM4/13/17
We're bringing cauliflower gratin, asparagus, and this is a first,
Hummingbird cake.

We're having a devil of a time catching enough hummingbirds, though.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 13, 2017, 11:19:57 AM4/13/17
On Thu 13 Apr 2017 07:41:22a, Nancy Young told us...
It takes an army of hummingbirds to bake a cake, and then you've got to
catch them in the right mood. :-)

jmcquown

Apr 13, 2017, 11:20:00 AM4/13/17
On 4/13/2017 10:41 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> We're bringing cauliflower gratin, asparagus, and this is a first,
> Hummingbird cake.
>
> We're having a devil of a time catching enough hummingbirds, though.
>
> nancy

LOL! Hummingbird moths don't count.

I was talking to my SO last night about this Easter food thread. He
remmebered his grandmother used to make a lamb cake. Literally shaped
like a lamb, using some sort of mold. It was white cake topped with
white powdered sugar/vanilla icing and shredded coconut.

He thinks he might still have the lamb cake mold somewhere. But no,
he's not planning to bake a coconut lamb shaped cake.

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 13, 2017, 12:10:52 PM4/13/17
On Thu 13 Apr 2017 08:19:53a, jmcquown told us...
We never had the mold but we usually bought a lamb cake from a good
bakery at Easter. White cake with white powdered sugar/vanilla icing
and shredded coconut. It actually wasn't as tasty as it was cute.

jmcquown

Apr 13, 2017, 12:17:17 PM4/13/17
> On Thu 13 Apr 2017 08:19:53a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 4/13/2017 10:41 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>>>
>>> We're bringing cauliflower gratin, asparagus, and this is a
>>> first, Hummingbird cake.
>>>
>>> We're having a devil of a time catching enough hummingbirds,
>>> though.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>
>> LOL! Hummingbird moths don't count.
>>
>> I was talking to my SO last night about this Easter food thread.
>> He remmebered his grandmother used to make a lamb cake. Literally
>> shaped like a lamb, using some sort of mold. It was white cake
>> topped with white powdered sugar/vanilla icing and shredded
>> coconut.
>>
>> He thinks he might still have the lamb cake mold somewhere. But
>> no, he's not planning to bake a coconut lamb shaped cake.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> We never had the mold but we usually bought a lamb cake from a good
> bakery at Easter. White cake with white powdered sugar/vanilla icing
> and shredded coconut. It actually wasn't as tasty as it was cute.

He said the cake his grandmother made was very tasty. Moist, etc. I'm
not sure any store bought cake is very good.

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 13, 2017, 12:20:32 PM4/13/17
On Thu 13 Apr 2017 09:17:10a, jmcquown told us...
In general I would agree. However, this was a top notch bakery and
we often bought baked goods from there. I think it had a lot to do
with producing enough bunny cakes for Easter. Of course, most home
made goods are usually best.

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 13, 2017, 12:56:19 PM4/13/17
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 11:19:53 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
My sister hand shredded the fresh raw coconut for that cake. It was
delicious.
Janet US

Dave Smith

Apr 13, 2017, 1:09:47 PM4/13/17
On 2017-04-13 12:10 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> We never had the mold but we usually bought a lamb cake from a good
> bakery at Easter. White cake with white powdered sugar/vanilla icing
> and shredded coconut. It actually wasn't as tasty as it was cute.

We never had a lamb shaped cake, but white cake and white icing and
coconut layer cake with a raspberry filling was on of my favourites.

dsi1

Apr 13, 2017, 2:32:46 PM4/13/17
This might be a stupid question - how did she shred the coconut? I know how it's done here but not how it's done on the mainland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIKc4mRMkzk

penm...@aol.com

Apr 13, 2017, 2:41:03 PM4/13/17
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>jmcquown wrote:
>>Sqwertz wrote:

>>> If I can find a cleaned bunny rabbit, I'll probably cook that. But I
>>> usually don't see them come into stores until the week after Easter
>>>
>> You're gonna kill the Easter Bunny? ;) I can find farmed rabbit,
>> cleaned, cut up, in the freezer section. At the price of over $20 for a
>> couple of pounds of rabbit (with bones), I wouldn't bother. Farmed
>> rabbit really does taste like chicken. :)
>
>My wife likes and we have it maybe once a year. IMO, it is just very
>expensive chicken.
>If I lived in the forest, rabbit would be a good source of meat. At the
>supermarket, there are better choices, such as chicken on sale for 99
>cents a pound. .

The feral cats enjoy a lot of fresh bunny for free... I've not seen a
wabbit here for two years... Elmer Fudd should retire his shot gun and
start caring for feral cats.
I cooked a lot of rabbit aboard ship, no different from chicken.

penm...@aol.com

Apr 13, 2017, 2:46:44 PM4/13/17
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 23:09:48 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
Hubby is correct, baaa is disgusting, it schintks and its fat is like
rancid Gorilla glue. Try a fresh ham.

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 13, 2017, 3:09:33 PM4/13/17
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 11:32:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
I have no idea. I was too young (my sister was old enough to be my
mother, so a different household.) I just ate the cake and heard them
talk about fresh coconut. I remember she tinted some coconut green
and put it around the base of the cake and sprinkled the coconut with
jelly beans. You can see why I thought it was a big deal. Come to
think of it, at that age I may not have yet realized that she was my
sister.
Janet US

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 13, 2017, 3:19:45 PM4/13/17
On Thu 13 Apr 2017 12:09:27p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
My mother often made fresh coconut cakes and shredded the coconut on
an old fashioned box grater. She used the shredded coconut, the
coconut water, and some coconut cream as part of the cooked filling.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 13, 2017, 9:40:04 PM4/13/17
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 2:19:28 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I've got my meal figured out and I am pleased with it.
>
> I'm going to put our Cook's ham in the smoker and smoke it some more,
> low and slow with some more hickory.
> I'll also prepare scalloped potatoes and a side of asparagus. Fresh
> Strawberry pie for dessert.
> Nice and simple.
> Not too much leftovers for 2 people to handle.
>
> How about you? What are you preparing for the holiday?
> Janet US

Change of plans here. I was going to take a ham to my
sister-in-law's house but my niece is bringing that so
I will be taking a dessert. They've requested a Gooey
Butter cake and I might take one of Ree Drummonds, aka
'The Pioneer Woman,' dump cakes.

penm...@aol.com

Apr 13, 2017, 10:30:37 PM4/13/17
I baked a yellow Duncan Hines box cake today, just because I felt like
it, added a tsp of orange extract is all. We prefer plain cake, no
icing. I usually do a from scratch cake but sometimes box cakes are
on sale for $1 so I'll buy a few. I see nothing bad about an
occasional box cake. I'm sure most here wont admit to box cake... I
think they are better than anything from any fast food mystery meat
burger joint. Added only 1 cup RO filtered water, three whole eggs,
and a 1/3 cup EVOO. And greased the loaf pan with Crisco and dusted
it with Wondra. My one pound can of Crisco has been in the fridge
since January 2014 and still a quarter left. I find Crisco best for
greasing cake pans, just a thin coat with a light dusting of Wondra
and the cake releases easily. Baked for a full hour at 350º til high
brown. We each had a slice with sliced fresh strawberries and a tsp
dark brown sugar. Was a nice ending for the frozen pizza we had for
dinner.
So sue me.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 14, 2017, 12:33:33 AM4/14/17
Why would I want to sue when the Gooey Butter Cake as well as
the dump cake each call for a box of cake mix? I am no cake
baker unless it comes out of a box and I freely admit it.

Also, I'll be taking these desserts in disposable aluminum
cake pans so no worry about getting my dishes back. Leftovers
can be conveniently left there so I won't be tempted to snack
on these rich desserts later in the week. Win-win situation
for me as far as I'm concerned with the preparation and
conveying.

sf

Apr 14, 2017, 3:05:50 AM4/14/17
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 13:19:21 -0600, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:

> I've got my meal figured out and I am pleased with it.
>
> I'm going to put our Cook's ham in the smoker and smoke it some more,
> low and slow with some more hickory.
> I'll also prepare scalloped potatoes and a side of asparagus. Fresh
> Strawberry pie for dessert.
> Nice and simple.
> Not too much leftovers for 2 people to handle.
>
> How about you? What are you preparing for the holiday?
> Janet US

I don't want to go anywhere either, so it will be just the two of us
too. It's going to rain and don't want to be on the road.

Rack of Lamb with an herb-mustard crust (using panko instead of
regular crumbs), Gratin Dauphinois and sauteed spinach. Possibly a
fruit salad (like watermelon, feta, mint), but I'd rather make panna
cotta for dessert. We can only eat so much, so it's one or the other.

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 14, 2017, 4:39:26 AM4/14/17
On Fri 14 Apr 2017 12:05:47a, sf told us...
Your dinner really sounds good. We're also having rack of lamb.
However, I'd stick with the panna cotta.

I hadn't planned a dessert until this morning. I'm gling to bake a
butter tart shell filled with creme patisserie an topped with fresh
raspberries ccovered in a light glaze.

Gary

Apr 14, 2017, 4:21:16 PM4/14/17
penm...@aol.com wrote:

> I baked a yellow Duncan Hines box cake today, just because I felt like
> it, added a tsp of orange extract is all. We prefer plain cake, no
> icing. I usually do a from scratch cake but sometimes box cakes are
> on sale for $1 so I'll buy a few. I see nothing bad about an
> occasional box cake. I'm sure most here wont admit to box cake... I
> think they are better than anything from any fast food mystery meat
> burger joint. Added only 1 cup RO filtered water, three whole eggs,
> and a 1/3 cup EVOO.

Trying to portray yourself as healthy, Sheldo? I see nothing wrong
either with the occasional box cake. Last one I made, I added sliced
apples to the batter and it was a wonderful apple cake (with no icing).

My only issue with what you did was you added EVOO. Talk about major
TIAD for a dessert cake. Are you even serious? YUCK!
Use a neutral oil for cake please. heheh
F--- EVOO for most uses (not all though).
Did you turn into Rachael Ray?
That's almost as bad or worse than using
EVOO to cook scrambled eggs. gasp!

SPLAT - cake fail!

note: when using a box cake, add just 1/3 cup extra milk for a
super moist cake. :)

penm...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2017, 6:22:22 PM4/14/17
Walmart has very neutral EVOO, it has no flavor and is inexpensive...
other than toasted sesame seed oil it's the only oil I buy. I cook
fritattas with half olive oil and half butter. I used to buy a
collection of cooking oils but no more, they go rancid

sf

Apr 14, 2017, 7:33:07 PM4/14/17
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:21:13 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

> My only issue with what you did was you added EVOO. Talk about major
> TIAD for a dessert cake. Are you even serious? YUCK!
> Use a neutral oil for cake please. heheh

FYI, there are cakes made with EVOO that are terrific.

sf

Apr 14, 2017, 7:34:45 PM4/14/17
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 18:22:18 -0400, penm...@aol.com wrote:

> Walmart has very neutral EVOO, it has no flavor and is inexpensive...
> other than toasted sesame seed oil it's the only oil I buy.

EVOO and not light olive oil? If it says EVOO and it's light, it's
fake. Another reason not to shop at Walmart.

Cheri

Apr 14, 2017, 7:45:30 PM4/14/17
"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:21:13 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> My only issue with what you did was you added EVOO. Talk about major
>> TIAD for a dessert cake. Are you even serious? YUCK!
>> Use a neutral oil for cake please. heheh
>
> FYI, there are cakes made with EVOO that are terrific.

Totally.

Cheri

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 14, 2017, 7:59:53 PM4/14/17
On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 6:45:30 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>

> > FYI, there are cakes made with EVOO that are terrific.
>
> Totally.
>
> Cheri

I made brownies once and used Olive oil and they were nasty
to put it mildly. For myself, I like to use a neutral oil
and my choice is safflower.

penm...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2017, 9:11:21 PM4/14/17
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:44:32 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
Yes, there are EVOOs that are very neutral, no flavor at all... they
are inexpensive and very good for cooking/baking. The flavorful
(estate) olive oils are quite pricy and some aren't all that good...
spending $20 on a small bottle is a crap shoot. If you want estate
olive oil it's best to visit a shop where you can taste before
buying... but then those olive oils are never used for cooking, heat
ruins/negates the extra virgin designation.

Ophelia

Apr 15, 2017, 4:10:59 AM4/15/17
wrote in message news:42s2fc97l277e3bcc...@4ax.com...
==

I've never used oil in cakes. I have always used butter.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 15, 2017, 4:44:36 AM4/15/17
On Sat 15 Apr 2017 01:10:49a, Ophelia told us...
There are certain types of cake in the US that require oil rather
than shortening or butter. Typically, they are chiffon cakes. Also,
cake mixes in the US generally call for oil as an addition.

Here is an example of a chiffon cake. Please correct me if I'm
wrong, but I don't think chiffon cakes are common in the UK.

In any case, I would definitely not use _olive oil_ in a cake.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7892/chiffon-cake/

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 15, 2017, 7:27:13 AM4/15/17
I'm curious to know which one that is. Is it one of these?

<https://www.walmart.com/tp/olive-oil>

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Apr 15, 2017, 7:39:21 AM4/15/17
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Wayne Boatwright

==

Thanks:) I have never been a great cake maker. I don't make them often
now, but back in the day, I used to stick to a few tried and true:)
Probably the same that my Grandmother used to make:)) I reckon using olive
oil in cakes would have been unknown to her:)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

jmcquown

Apr 15, 2017, 8:35:25 AM4/15/17
On 4/14/2017 4:21 PM, Gary wrote:
> penm...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I baked a yellow Duncan Hines box cake today, just because I felt like
>> it, added a tsp of orange extract is all. We prefer plain cake, no
>> icing. I usually do a from scratch cake but sometimes box cakes are
>> on sale for $1 so I'll buy a few. I see nothing bad about an
>> occasional box cake. I'm sure most here wont admit to box cake... I
>> think they are better than anything from any fast food mystery meat
>> burger joint. Added only 1 cup RO filtered water, three whole eggs,
>> and a 1/3 cup EVOO.
>
> Trying to portray yourself as healthy, Sheldo? I see nothing wrong
> either with the occasional box cake. Last one I made, I added sliced
> apples to the batter and it was a wonderful apple cake (with no icing).

A fine addition, if you like apples. :)

> My only issue with what you did was you added EVOO. Talk about major
> TIAD for a dessert cake. Are you even serious? YUCK!
> Use a neutral oil for cake please. heheh
> F--- EVOO for most uses (not all though).
> Did you turn into Rachael Ray?
> That's almost as bad or worse than using
> EVOO to cook scrambled eggs. gasp!
>
> SPLAT - cake fail!
>
> note: when using a box cake, add just 1/3 cup extra milk for a
> super moist cake. :)

It's been quite a while since I made a cake, from boxed mix or
otherwise. IIRC most boxed cake mixes call for the addition of oil -
some varieties specify butter - water and eggs. No milk! Where'd you
come up with milk?

I wouldn't use EVOO, though. I agree, real extra virgin (first press)
olive oil is entirely too strong tasting to be used in a boxed cake mix.
Expensive, too. Just plain vegetable oil will do. :)

Jill

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 15, 2017, 10:43:42 AM4/15/17

Gary

Apr 15, 2017, 10:54:23 AM4/15/17
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 6:22:22 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > Walmart has very neutral EVOO, it has no flavor and is inexpensive...

> I'm curious to know which one that is. Is it one of these?
> <https://www.walmart.com/tp/olive-oil>

Just for your info, Cindy - if you are looking for a mild EVOO,
try a small bottle of "Wild Harvest" organic EVOO. It's good
and mild enough for my occasional use.

I basically only use EVOO with spaghetti sauce, pizza or the
occasional fresh spinach sauteed in garlic and olive oil.

That's it. Olive oil has it's place but please not in dessert cakes,
not with eggs, not with seafood. Not in cereal either. ;)

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 15, 2017, 11:03:15 AM4/15/17
On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 10:54:23 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 6:22:22 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > > Walmart has very neutral EVOO, it has no flavor and is inexpensive...
>
> > I'm curious to know which one that is. Is it one of these?
> > <https://www.walmart.com/tp/olive-oil>
>
> Just for your info, Cindy - if you are looking for a mild EVOO,
> try a small bottle of "Wild Harvest" organic EVOO. It's good
> and mild enough for my occasional use.

Actually, I'm not looking for a mild EVOO. We've found one
made from kalamata olives that we like very much.

> I basically only use EVOO with spaghetti sauce, pizza or the
> occasional fresh spinach sauteed in garlic and olive oil.

I use it for nearly everything. Salad dressing, most sautéing,
etc. Not when cooking Asian food.

> That's it. Olive oil has it's place but please not in dessert cakes,
> not with eggs, not with seafood. Not in cereal either. ;)

If you say so. We often use olive oil with shrimp (and garlic).

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Apr 15, 2017, 11:13:00 AM4/15/17
"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
==

Whooo there is plenty there to choose from:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Dave Smith

Apr 15, 2017, 11:13:49 AM4/15/17
Oh man, I use those together a lot. One of my wife's favourite dishes
that I do is a stir fry of garlic, asparagus, red pepper and shrimp on
pasta. I use a light olive oil for the first part and add some extra
virgin later on. I also add freshly grated Parmesan. It is really good.

Gary

Apr 15, 2017, 11:21:10 AM4/15/17
jmcquown wrote:

> On 4/14/2017 4:21 PM, Gary wrote:
> > note: when using a box cake, add just 1/3 cup extra milk for a
> > super moist cake. :)
> >
> It's been quite a while since I made a cake, from boxed mix or
> otherwise. IIRC most boxed cake mixes call for the addition of oil -
> some varieties specify butter - water and eggs. No milk! Where'd you
> come up with milk?

It's my signature boxed cake fix. It works very well.
Keeps them moist a few days longer than average. :-D

Also, yeah...I like apples and the boxed cake mix with apple slices
were very tasty. I was basically making an apple upside-down cake
at first, then started mixing more into the batter. If you like
apples, these cakes rule.

No icing on them either. I make them in like 8-9" round pans.
Right out of the oven and still hot, I spread/melt some butter
on top.

cshenk

Apr 15, 2017, 11:35:17 AM4/15/17
Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Hi Cindy, I get the Bertoli's for just regular cooking oil needs. It's
mostly neutral in flavor, seems healthier, and has a cooking point that
works well for my uses. I have a smaller bottle of a high quality one
for things like bread dipping but it doesn't get used often. I agree,
they can 'go off' over time.

cshenk

Apr 15, 2017, 11:39:19 AM4/15/17
Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Hi Cindy, we use it in seafood and other asian foods (Bertoli's, sorry,
a mild one). I do use Peanut oil though when frying lumpia for the
family, and Cannola oil when frying lumpia for others if not sure if
any have a peanut allergy.

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 15, 2017, 1:09:15 PM4/15/17
On Sat 15 Apr 2017 04:35:42a, Ophelia told us...
That would have been true of both my grandmothers. They would have
used butter, or sometimes lard.

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 15, 2017, 1:10:50 PM4/15/17
On Sat 15 Apr 2017 07:43:38a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
I know there are a lot of olive oil cake recipes, but I am not fond
of the flavor. I even purposely bought light olive oil which has a
fairly neutral flavor, and still did not like it in baked goods.

Ophelia

Apr 15, 2017, 1:21:52 PM4/15/17
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Wayne Boatwright

==

:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

graham

Apr 15, 2017, 1:32:30 PM4/15/17
On 2017-04-15 11:09 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> That would have been true of both my grandmothers. They would have
> used butter, or sometimes lard.

My father, following Mum's methods, always fried using lard. He was
introduced to cooking with oil when he was 90! And raved about it:-)
Graham

Ophelia

Apr 15, 2017, 1:37:18 PM4/15/17
"graham" wrote in message news:octl9h$nmm$1...@dont-email.me...
==

I still use lard <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cheri

Apr 15, 2017, 1:38:38 PM4/15/17
"Wayne Boatwright" <waynebo...@xgmail.com> wrote in message

> In any case, I would definitely not use _olive oil_ in a cake.

I do all the time, very light olive oil if handy.

Cheri

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 15, 2017, 1:52:01 PM4/15/17
On Sat 15 Apr 2017 10:37:09a, Ophelia told us...
As do I. :-)

graham

Apr 15, 2017, 2:18:59 PM4/15/17
I do, but only in pastry.
Graham

Bruce

Apr 15, 2017, 2:21:28 PM4/15/17
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 10:39:12 -0500, "cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Actually, I'm not looking for a mild EVOO. We've found one
>> made from kalamata olives that we like very much.
>>
>> > I basically only use EVOO with spaghetti sauce, pizza or the
>> > occasional fresh spinach sauteed in garlic and olive oil.
>>
>> I use it for nearly everything. Salad dressing, most sautéing,
>> etc. Not when cooking Asian food.
>>
>> > That's it. Olive oil has it's place but please not in dessert cakes,
>> > not with eggs, not with seafood. Not in cereal either. ;)
>>
>> If you say so. We often use olive oil with shrimp (and garlic).
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>
>Hi Cindy, we use it in seafood and other asian foods (Bertoli's, sorry,
>a mild one).

I once heard a chef say he wouldn't even put Bertolli's in his hair.

cshenk

Apr 15, 2017, 4:54:22 PM4/15/17
Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
More power to him if he's a picky eater, but he'd not be welcome to
make a recipe for real people like me. I'm not frying lumpia or making
bread with 40$ an oz stuff that can't take the heat and turns into
Bertoli level taste if you try.

Bruce

Apr 15, 2017, 5:52:56 PM4/15/17
Could it be that there's a whole world between Bertolli and 40$ an oz
stuff? Just a thought :)

cshenk

Apr 15, 2017, 8:47:27 PM4/15/17
There is, but not when frying lumpia. The expensive stuff is wasted
then. The expensive stuff is used for bread dipping and such.

Bruce

Apr 15, 2017, 8:50:24 PM4/15/17
Bertolli's not the only affordable olive oil. Not that I care. I just
quoted that chef.

dsi1

Apr 15, 2017, 9:09:45 PM4/15/17
On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 2:47:27 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > hair.
> > >
> > > More power to him if he's a picky eater, but he'd not be welcome to
> > > make a recipe for real people like me. I'm not frying lumpia or
> > > making bread with 40$ an oz stuff that can't take the heat and
> > > turns into Bertoli level taste if you try.
> >
> > Could it be that there's a whole world between Bertolli and 40$ an oz
> > stuff? Just a thought :)
>
> There is, but not when frying lumpia. The expensive stuff is wasted
> then. The expensive stuff is used for bread dipping and such.
>
> --

40 bucks for an ounce of olive oil? Hoo boy, now I've heard everything. OTOH, frying lumpia in olive oil sounds like a recipe for lousy lumpia. My daughter makes a pretty good banana lumpia. Frying them in ghee would be pretty good. The one I made has a caramel flavor that would be a wonderful match.

cshenk

Apr 15, 2017, 10:29:50 PM4/15/17
If you track the conversation, it was about simple olive oils (at least
at the start, thread drift has some shifts).

Anyways, yes, it's not the only inexpensive mild one. It's a hair
above the other cheap ones in cooking uses, but not that much.

sf

Apr 16, 2017, 12:51:59 AM4/16/17
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:59:50 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

> I made brownies once and used Olive oil and they were nasty
> to put it mildly. For myself, I like to use a neutral oil
> and my choice is safflower.

Post the recipe you used.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 16, 2017, 1:08:46 AM4/16/17
On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 11:51:59 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:59:50 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>

> > I made brownies once and used Olive oil and they were nasty
> > to put it mildly. For myself, I like to use a neutral oil
> > and my choice is safflower.
>
> Post the recipe you used.

I couldn't tell you what the recipe was if you offered me a
$100 bill. It did not call for olive oil but my fault for
only having that oil on hand instead of a neutral oil. I
thought 'what the heck' and gave it a shot; olive oil taste
was strooooooong. EWWWWW

Ophelia

Apr 16, 2017, 5:36:23 AM4/16/17
"dsi1" wrote in message
==

Sounds good! Pictures and recipe if possible please? I've never heard of
it:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

dsi1

Apr 16, 2017, 6:18:50 AM4/16/17
Banana lumpia is pretty easy to make. Use a pretty ripe banana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef_9t3W0snc

Ophelia

Apr 16, 2017, 7:36:13 AM4/16/17
"dsi1" wrote in message

> 40 bucks for an ounce of olive oil? Hoo boy, now I've heard everything.
> OTOH, frying lumpia in olive oil sounds like a recipe for lousy lumpia. My
> daughter makes a pretty good banana lumpia. Frying them in ghee would be
> pretty good. The one I made has a caramel flavor that would be a wonderful
> match.
>
> ==
>
> Sounds good! Pictures and recipe if possible please? I've never heard of
> it:)

Banana lumpia is pretty easy to make. Use a pretty ripe banana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef_9t3W0snc

===

Thank you:)) I looked around now and seen many options for the fillings :)

What are your favourite fillings?

I found a recipe for making the egg roll 'pastry' (?) :))

If only I could get up and make some ... :(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Gary

Apr 16, 2017, 8:57:18 AM4/16/17
Ophelia wrote:

> If only I could get up and make some ... :(

Sorry to hear that you are not well.
What's wrong? Anyway, hope you heal quickly.
Thankfully you have a loving mate to care for you
while you are down.

Ophelia

Apr 16, 2017, 10:11:59 AM4/16/17
"Gary" wrote in message news:58F36A34...@att.net...
==

I have torn muscles in my back after a fall.

I am very well looked after so I am very lucky:)

Thanks for asking Gary, you are very kind:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

penm...@aol.com

Apr 16, 2017, 12:33:11 PM4/16/17
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 22:08:43 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 11:51:59 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:59:50 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>

>> > I made brownies once and used Olive oil and they were nasty
>> > to put it mildly. For myself, I like to use a neutral oil
>> > and my choice is safflower.
>>
>> Post the recipe you used.
>>

>I couldn't tell you what the recipe was if you offered me a
>$100 bill. It did not call for olive oil but my fault for
>only having that oil on hand instead of a neutral oil. I
>thought 'what the heck' and gave it a shot; olive oil taste
>was strooooooong. EWWWWW

There are plenty of neutral EVOOs. with no flavor or aroma, excellent
for cooking/baking... and very reasonably priced. The expensive
Estate oils will have a noticeable flavor/aroma and it's wasteful to
use them for cooking/baking as the heat renders it no longer a virgin
olive oil. This is the one I use for cooking and baking:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-100-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil-101-oz/10315963

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 16, 2017, 1:20:41 PM4/16/17
Recently I ran out of olive oil. Costco didn't have my favorite until
the next harvest season. A friend 'highly' recommended the Trader
Joe's branded one. It was supposed to be so pleasant. Wow! It has a
nasty after bite/taste at the back of the tongue. I'm trying to use
it up when I want to lightly coat veggies.
Janet US

dsi1

Apr 16, 2017, 1:46:44 PM4/16/17
My daughter makes the lumpia but I don't recall ever making it. I'm surprised that she makes it because she doesn't usually fry. My guess is that she learned to make lumpia from one of the Filipino boyfriends she's had.

Sorry to hear about your back. I'm fearful about injuring my back. I've taken to supporting my lumbar region with rolls of towels and bread dough. :)

The human back is not one of the most durable part of our anatomy. You might even say that's it's not designed to support standing up. Take it nice and easy and good luck!

dsi1

Apr 16, 2017, 1:54:33 PM4/16/17
A hundred and one ounces? That's weird and whacky.

Ophelia

Apr 16, 2017, 2:15:46 PM4/16/17
"dsi1" wrote in message
==

Thanks:) I WILL survive!!! Lumpia ... if she doesn't fry them, how does
she cook them>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

dsi1

Apr 16, 2017, 2:21:44 PM4/16/17
She does fry them. I was surprised because I've never seen her fry food before. I ought to give banana lumpia a shot. I can see it now - fried in ghee and served with a side of vanilla ice cream. :)

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 16, 2017, 3:25:35 PM4/16/17
3 liters is 101.442 ounces. The Weights and Measures folks won't
get angry if they say 101 ounces but provide 101.442 ounces.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Apr 16, 2017, 3:31:26 PM4/16/17
"dsi1" wrote in message
==

Yes:) I am more interested in savoury 'lumpia' if I can still call it that?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 16, 2017, 3:33:34 PM4/16/17
That's quite true, but what I had on hand at that time was extra
virgin olive oil. First press, very green and awful for brownies.
I now just stick with safflower oil; suitable for frying or
baking with no aftertaste.

dsi1

Apr 16, 2017, 4:08:30 PM4/16/17
The bottle says 2.98L which means that it might be closer to 101 oz than 101.442. Something smell fishy. :)

dsi1

Apr 16, 2017, 4:21:51 PM4/16/17
Oddly enough, a savory, meat lumpia would be called "lumpia." If you gave me a lumpia, I wouldn't expect to find banana in it. My guess is that your husband would find them tasty, just fill it with stuff he likes. You might be able to find lumpia wrappers in your stores. It's pretty much the same as Chinese or Vietnamese egg roll wrappers.

Ophelia

Apr 16, 2017, 4:27:48 PM4/16/17
"dsi1" wrote in message
===

Ok thanks:)) Yes I checked the stores but me ... I like to make stuff from
scratch if I can .. sorry:( Mind you, when I am able to do that is a good
question:(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

cshenk

Apr 16, 2017, 4:40:13 PM4/16/17
dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Umm, I'm using bertoli for simple cooking and health reasons. I
wouldnt use tht for a sweet bannana confection, but for the pork ones
it works well enough and if it is what I have. In earlier (trimmed)
bit I use peanut mostly for lumpia, cannola when feeding friends whi
may have a peanut allergy.

dsi1

Apr 16, 2017, 5:02:01 PM4/16/17
On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 10:27:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> Oddly enough, a savory, meat lumpia would be called "lumpia." If you gave me
> a lumpia, I wouldn't expect to find banana in it. My guess is that your
> husband would find them tasty, just fill it with stuff he likes. You might
> be able to find lumpia wrappers in your stores. It's pretty much the same as
> Chinese or Vietnamese egg roll wrappers.
>
> ===
>
> Ok thanks:)) Yes I checked the stores but me ... I like to make stuff from
> scratch if I can .. sorry:( Mind you, when I am able to do that is a good
> question:(
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Opp, sorry. I don't know how to make a lumpia/egg roll wrapper. My guess is that most home cooks will leave the lumpia wrappers to the professional makers. This things are so thin that they retain their crispiness for a while. OTOH, here's a way some cooks would do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oge9I2d9O5w

dsi1

Apr 16, 2017, 5:04:09 PM4/16/17
Rest assured that I wouldn't think you'd make such a rookie mistake. I'm thinking ghee would make a wonderful banana lumpia.

cshenk

Apr 16, 2017, 6:38:41 PM4/16/17
Trimmers hehehe

Yes, Ghee should work really well for a banana lumpia or any 'sweet'
sort. I, like many think of lumpia as a meat thing, but it's not
always that way.

Check me here, but the term is more a wrapper and style of cooking
right?

jmcquown

Apr 16, 2017, 6:48:36 PM4/16/17
I think of EVOO as you say, the first press, rather strong tasting green
oil. Strong tasting. Not something I'd use in a cake or brownie mix.
I always have very neutral safflower oil on hand. Corn oil, too. :)

Jill

dsi1

Apr 16, 2017, 6:58:23 PM4/16/17
Mostly it's the Filipino version of a Chinese egg roll. Typically there will be some kind of ground meat and a small amount of vegetables in it. I can't tell you much about it because it's not something I've paid much attention to. It's kind of an underappreciated side dish that one expects to see at parties. The next time I have it, I will focus my highest analytical powers on the experience. :)

Banana lumpia is more interesting because it's not something I see very often. I suppose that makes it special.

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 16, 2017, 7:30:40 PM4/16/17
On Sun 16 Apr 2017 03:38:34p, cshenk told us...
I think you're right. I think many have a meat-based filling, and
many are vegetarian. I have never seen one filled with fruit, and
sure I would like it.

Wayne Boatwright

Ophelia

Apr 17, 2017, 5:20:35 AM4/17/17
"dsi1" wrote in message
======

Hey I already found the recipe for the wrappers:)) Heck I don't have much
else to do:)))

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/22532/egg-roll-wrappers/

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Apr 17, 2017, 5:20:35 AM4/17/17
"dsi1" wrote in message
===

I thought I would use butter. Would that work?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Apr 17, 2017, 7:20:48 AM4/17/17

Gary

Apr 17, 2017, 9:13:03 AM4/17/17
dsi1 wrote:

> Banana lumpia is more interesting because it's not something I see very often. I suppose that makes it special.

You want something special? Put some crab meat in that banana
lumpia.
I've combined the two before and it's good. I didn't do a lumpia
though.

dsi1

Apr 17, 2017, 5:47:48 PM4/17/17
That's something I never would have thought of. I made some potato salad thought I'd add some canned crabmeat. That stuff did not look good! It consisted of crap particles. I put it in the refrigerator. If I make lumpia, I might go for it. Thanks.

cshenk

Apr 17, 2017, 7:21:02 PM4/17/17
Wayne Boatwright wrote in rec.food.cooking:
I have seen a few of ther sweet ones and loved them when I got a piece!
A ghee would in fact be optimal I think for a banana/plaintain sort as
it's very sweet and the butter would complement it well.

I'm only familiar with meat based Lumpia. Vegetarian fried rolls are a
different product and use a thicker wrapper. I am sure a fruit one
would need a thicker Spring roll wrapper.

(DS1 is probably used to spring roll thicker wrapper and it's authentic
enough but to me, it is not the same thing).

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 17, 2017, 7:31:36 PM4/17/17
On Mon 17 Apr 2017 04:20:55p, cshenk told us...
You know about them than I do. :-)

sf

Apr 18, 2017, 11:33:58 AM4/18/17
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:48:23 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
The fact is, that's all she had on hand and she continued with the
recipe anyway.

It is loading more messages.