Converting microwave cooking time ????

TOM KAN PA

Jan 13, 2002, 12:26:36 PM1/13/02
Is there a site, chart, formula, etc. for converting microwave cooking times to
a higher watt oven?
I have a great microwave cooking book, written for a 65-700 watt oven. We now
have a 1300 watt oven. How do I figure how much to decrease the listed cooking
times?
tom kan pa

Curly Sue

Jan 13, 2002, 12:31:45 PM1/13/02

Try 75% to start. It's relative anyway as you normally have to adjust
to the amount of food (eg. 4 potatoes take longer than 2, etc.).

Also, if you don't want to fiddle with time, just adjust the power of
the microwave down to the value in the cookbook. (eg. 50-60% power
should give the equivalent of your old mw).

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dotnet

st...@temple.edu

Jan 14, 2002, 6:04:13 PM1/14/02

Just look at the instruction booklet that came with your new oven. It
should list the power ratings for each setting. If you have a recipe that
used to be done on your old microwave oven's high setting, then that would
be 700 watts so just look to see what setting you would have to use on
your new oven to cook at 700 watts. That way, the cooking times remain the
same. Alternatively, just do some experimentation to find out what works
best with your new microwave oven.

Tracy V Grant

Jan 26, 2002, 12:09:42 AM1/26/02
Hi Tom,

I maintain a website about microwave cooking. I think that one the
best features about the site is the Conversion Charts. Most recipes
for microwave cooking are written for a 700-watt oven (the industry
standard). However, as you well know, microwaves come in a variety of
wattages from 400-watts to 1600-watts. My mother, Marie T. Smith, who
authored "Microwave Cooking for One," designed a conversion chart over
20 years ago. I've just been posting them as people need them at the
site.

The conversion chart for converting recipes for a 700-watt oven to a
1300-watt oven are located at:
http://www.microwavecookingforone.com/Charts/Chart1300.html.

Hope this solves your problem converting recipes for your new
microwave oven.

Best regards,
Tracy
Microwave Cooking for One by Marie T Smith
http://www.microwavecookingforone.com

Tracy V Grant

Jan 26, 2002, 12:19:50 AM1/26/02
Hi Tom,

I maintain a website about microwave cooking. I think that one the
best features about the site is the Conversion Charts. Most recipes
for microwave cooking are written for a 700-watt oven (the industry
standard). However, as you well know, microwaves come in a variety of
wattages from 400-watts to 1600-watts. My mother, Marie T. Smith, who
authored Microwave Cooking for One, designed a conversion chart over
20 years ago. I've just been posting them, as people need them at the

site.

The conversion chart for converting recipes for a 700-watt oven to a
1300-watt oven is located at: