What is "Crisco"

Carl-Jonas Wernhoff

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Hello,

I just made a posting concerning "a stick", and here I go again... In the
reciepe, I also found that "1/2 cup of Crisco" should be added. I live in
Sweden, and don't know what "Crisco" is, I couldn't find it in my
dictionary. So... what is "Crisco", is there any other name for it (so that
I might find it in my dictionary)? In what kind of store could I find it?

Thank you again,
Carl-Jonas Wernhoff

JJMMJJ

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Crisco is a brand name for lard. Here in the USA there is regular and
butter-flavored Crisco and we get it at any supermarket. I never use it
myself, but I hope this helps.

Ric Cooney

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Ah I have the answer here as well. Do I get a prize. Crisco is a saturated
all vegetable shortening product, used as a substitute for lard or butter.
http://www.crisco.com

TTFN

--
Ric Cooney, CC (ret)
ric...@bellatlantic.net

"Carl-Jonas Wernhoff" <t...@linkoping.mail.telia.com> wrote in message

Alas, Babylon

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
I am not a shill for Crisco, but...

Crisco is a solid vegetable shortening used in baking & frying, though
it is not used as much these days as years ago.

It can be used for pie crusts (not as flaky as lard) and can be used
for frying, as it melts when heated. It can also be used to make
cookies and frosting.

It is sold in tubs of about 500g+ and also in "sticks", like our
butter & margerine are sold.

It comes in regular or butter flavor.

If available where you are, the grocery will have it, if anyone does.
Here it is in the same section as cooking oils or sometimes shelved
with baking supplies.

If you need a substuitute, post the recipe and I'm sure many people
here can offer solutions.

Gloryon

LINDA MAGEE1

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

Crisco is NOT lard. It's a vegetable shortening that looks like lard. It comes
in butter-flavor and regular. Pretty popular here in the States. It comes in a
can and it sticks.

Linda

Goomba

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
to JJMMJJ

Crisco is NOT lard.. Crisco is a vegetable shortening. Lard is an
animal product-it's rendered fat.
Goomba

david wright

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
On 28 Mar 2000 15:21:32 GMT, jjm...@aol.comebyteme (JJMMJJ) wrote:

>Crisco is a brand name for lard. Here in the USA there is regular and
>butter-flavored Crisco and we get it at any supermarket. I never use it
>myself, but I hope this helps.

It's hydrogenated vegetable oil, i.e., vegetable shortening, not lard.
It has all the bad qualities of lard, but none of the flavor. I use
very little of it (pie crusts and corn bread) so I put to good use its
top quality, if that's the right word -- long shelf-life at room
temperature.

David

Ric Cooney

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Bong!!! Not so Lard is rendered pig fat. Crisco is All Vegetable shortening

"JJMMJJ" <jjm...@aol.comebyteme> wrote in message

Michael Odom

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:47:56 GMT, "Carl-Jonas Wernhoff"
<t...@linkoping.mail.telia.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just made a posting concerning "a stick", and here I go again... In the
>reciepe, I also found that "1/2 cup of Crisco" should be added. I live in
>Sweden, and don't know what "Crisco" is, I couldn't find it in my
>dictionary. So... what is "Crisco", is there any other name for it (so that
>I might find it in my dictionary)? In what kind of store could I find it?

Crisco is a US brand name for vegetable shortening--solid white grease
in a can. As I understand things, it's made from vegetable oil that
is hydrogenated enough to be solid at room temperature.

What are you cooking? There are substitutes--margaring, butter, or
lard come to mind.

M.Odom is at modomatkoyotedotcom

gzywicki

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Crisco is a vat of pure evil.

Criso is Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, also known as
Shortening in the US. Is it saturated? I thought it
was poly-unsaturated.

I'd be surprised if even Sweeden has been sheltered from
shortening, but if I'm wrong, you're lucky. Crisco and it's
ilk have a distinctive and unpleasant taste. Especially in
frosting.

Good luck..

Greg Zywicki

In article <K84E4.461$ZH4....@typhoon1.gnilink.net>, "Ric

Cooney" <ric...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>Ah I have the answer here as well. Do I get a prize. Crisco is a
saturated
>all vegetable shortening product, used as a substitute for lard
or butter.
>http://www.crisco.com
>
>TTFN
>
>--
>Ric Cooney, CC (ret)
>ric...@bellatlantic.net
>
>"Carl-Jonas Wernhoff" <t...@linkoping.mail.telia.com> wrote in
message

>> Hello,
>>
>> I just made a posting concerning "a stick", and here I go
again... In the
>> reciepe, I also found that "1/2 cup of Crisco" should be
added. I live in
>> Sweden, and don't know what "Crisco" is, I couldn't find it in
my
>> dictionary. So... what is "Crisco", is there any other name
for it (so
>that
>> I might find it in my dictionary)? In what kind of store could
I find it?

>> Thank you again,
>> Carl-Jonas Wernhoff

GW

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Ric Cooney wrote:

> Ah I have the answer here as well. Do I get a prize. Crisco is a saturated
> all vegetable shortening product, used as a substitute for lard or butter.
> http://www.crisco.com

No prize. Crisco has been vegetable shortening for years but was originally
lard when first marketed as I recall. More to the point, since the person with
the question can't find any Crisco , can lard be substituted in equivalent
measure where a recipe calls for Crisco?

Leonard Lehew

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <1cf6804e...@usw-ex0103-018.remarq.com>,

gzywicki <greg.zywic...@gm.com.invalid> wrote:
>Crisco is a vat of pure evil.
>
>Criso is Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, also known as
>Shortening in the US. Is it saturated? I thought it
>was poly-unsaturated.

"Saturation" refers to the degree to which all the available
chemical bonds in the carbon atoms in a fat are attached to
hydrogen atoms. Relatively un-saturated fats are liquid at room
temperature. Highly saturated fats are solid at room
temperature. Liquid oils are relatively unsaturated, stick
margarine is rather highly saturated, and margarine in plastic
tubs intermediate. Crisco, in terms of saturation is generally
between liquid oils and solid fats.

Hydrogenation increase the degree of saturation by attaching
more hydrogen atoms to the carbon atoms in the fat.

There is some body of opinion to the effect that fats that are
saturated artificially by hydrogenation (margarine, for example)
are unhealthier than naturally saturated fats (butter, for
instance)

Leonard

Brent Huiberts

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

"GW" <gwa...@pop.mpls.uswest.net> wrote in message

> Ric Cooney wrote:
>
> > Ah I have the answer here as well. Do I get a prize. Crisco is a
saturated
> > all vegetable shortening product, used as a substitute for lard or
butter.
> > http://www.crisco.com
>
> No prize. Crisco has been vegetable shortening for years but was
originally
> lard when first marketed as I recall.

No, it wasn't--check out the above web site!

Brent

Ric Cooney

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Ah I win a double prize. William Procter and James Gamble started making
Lard
in 1870 and marketed it as Lard. In 1911 the first Crisco came on the market
as all vegetable shortening.

Yes I use both Lard and Crisco interchangably.
Also have P&G Stock <g>

--
Ric Cooney, CC (ret)
ric...@bellatlantic.net

"GW" <gwa...@pop.mpls.uswest.net> wrote in message

> Ric Cooney wrote:
>
> > Ah I have the answer here as well. Do I get a prize. Crisco is a
saturated
> > all vegetable shortening product, used as a substitute for lard or
butter.
> > http://www.crisco.com
>
> No prize. Crisco has been vegetable shortening for years but was
originally

david wright

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:07:08 -0800, GW <gwa...@pop.mpls.uswest.net>
wrote:

>More to the point, since the person with
>the question can't find any Crisco , can lard be substituted in equivalent
>measure where a recipe calls for Crisco?

Depends on the recipe. Crisco is tasteless; lard isn't.

David

david wright

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

Sorry for following up my own message. I meant to add an example,
which is that tamales, for one thing, are much better made with lard
than with Crisco or its equivalent.

David

gzywicki

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <19v1es8orvefgv0ah...@4ax.com>, david

wright <dtwr...@badstuffswbell.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:07:08 -0800, GW
<gwa...@pop.mpls.uswest.net>
>wrote:
>
>>More to the point, since the person with
>>the question can't find any Crisco , can lard be substituted in
equivalent
>>measure where a recipe calls for Crisco?
>
>Depends on the recipe. Crisco is tasteless; lard isn't.
>
>David

If only that were true, but many experiences with yucky
crisco-based frostings prove otherwise.

Greg Zywicki

Goomba

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
to gzywicki
gzywicki wrote:

> In article <19v1es8orvefgv0ah...@4ax.com>, david
> wright <dtwr...@badstuffswbell.net> wrote:
> >On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:07:08 -0800, GW
> <gwa...@pop.mpls.uswest.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>More to the point, since the person with
> >>the question can't find any Crisco , can lard be substituted in
> equivalent
> >>measure where a recipe calls for Crisco?
> >
> >Depends on the recipe. Crisco is tasteless; lard isn't.
> >
> >David
> >

> If only that were true, but many experiences with yucky
> crisco-based frostings prove otherwise.
>
> Greg Zywicki

I didn't think real people made frosting with crisco. I thought only
icky grocery store bakeries did because it was cheaper than butter.
It's not a taste as much as a greasy feel in your mouth..
Goomba

PENMART10

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <38E10414...@mindspring.com>, Goomba <goo...@mindspring.com>
writes:

Yes Maam, that greasy feeling in yer mouth is one good reason not to substitute
Crisco for K-Y Jelly... the other, even more important reason, boys and girls,
is that Crisco is SHORTENING! ;)

Sheldon
````````````
On a recent Night Court rerun, Judge Harry Stone had a wonderful line:
"I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out."

Lulu in BC

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Goomba <goo...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>snippage<

> I didn't think real people made frosting with crisco. I thought only
> icky grocery store bakeries did because it was cheaper than butter.
> It's not a taste as much as a greasy feel in your mouth..
> Goomba

There is nothing worse than frosting made with shortening! I think we
should revolt! Who's with me!?

--
Lulu in BC, taking up arms against cheapo bakeries
lu...@earthlingNospam.net, Remove Nospam to reply

Young

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Lulu in BC wrote:

> Goomba <goo...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >snippage<
>
> > I didn't think real people made frosting with crisco. I thought only
> > icky grocery store bakeries did because it was cheaper than butter.
> > It's not a taste as much as a greasy feel in your mouth..
> > Goomba
>
> There is nothing worse than frosting made with shortening! I think we
> should revolt! Who's with me!?

(interested) I've revolted lots of people ... if you need help, I'm
your man. So to speak.

nancy

Lulu in BC

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

LOL! Reminds me of lines from the movie "History of the World Pt. I":

Servant: The Peasants are revolting!
Queen: They certainly are!

That's probably not exactly right, but you get the drift ;-)

--
Lulu in BC, letting them eat cake

Young

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Lulu in BC wrote:

> Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

> > (interested) I've revolted lots of people ... if you need help, I'm
> > your man. So to speak.
> >
> > nancy
>
> LOL! Reminds me of lines from the movie "History of the World Pt. I":
>
> Servant: The Peasants are revolting!
> Queen: They certainly are!
>
> That's probably not exactly right, but you get the drift ;-)
>
> --
> Lulu in BC, letting them eat cake

(laughing) That's gotta be Mel Brooks or Monty Python. Either one,
peerless at making a play on words. Cracks me up.

nancy

Goomba

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
to Lulu in BC
Lulu in BC wrote:

> > > There is nothing worse than frosting made with shortening! I think we
> > > should revolt! Who's with me!?
> >

> > (interested) I've revolted lots of people ... if you need help, I'm
> > your man. So to speak.
> >
> > nancy
>
> LOL! Reminds me of lines from the movie "History of the World Pt. I":
>
> Servant: The Peasants are revolting!
> Queen: They certainly are!
>
> That's probably not exactly right, but you get the drift ;-)

Hey.. Charles Aadams used to do the best cartoons.. and reminds me of
the joke:
"Momma.. I hate my sisters guts!"
"Shut up and eat what's put in front of you" <---Obfood
Goomba

Goomba

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
to LINDA MAGEE1
LINDA MAGEE1 wrote:

> I'm with you...can't stand shortening in frosting. WHY do they call it
> "buttercream" frosting when they use shortening? Boggles my mind. It tastes
> greeeeeasy!
>
> Linda

WORSE yet!! Kroger store calls there greasy concoction "Kroger Kreamy"
and tout it as some miracle ingredient... when ever we have a party at
work folks get all impressed by these horribly greasy overly sweet
confections. They have never experienced a real cake, I swear.
Goomba

Jeff Cook

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Young wrote:
> > LOL! Reminds me of lines from the movie "History of the World Pt. I":
> >
> > Servant: The Peasants are revolting!
> > Queen: They certainly are!

I managed a single-screen movie theatre (900 seats: beautiful!) that ran
History of the World. All. Summer. Long. Let me shake this out of my
head...

Count de Money...d'Monet! (Harvey Korman):
BUT YOUR HIGHNESS, THE PEOPLE ARE REVOLTING!

King Louis XVI (Mel Brooks):
YOU SAID IT, THEY STINK ON ICE.

Whew. I can now go another decade in peace.

--
Jeff Cook
je...@cookstudios.com

Michael Steinel

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
David Wright dtwr...@badstuffswbell.net wrote:

>Crisco is tasteless; lard isn't. ...

>tamales, for one thing, are much better
>made with lard than with Crisco or its
>equivalent.

Yes, but I've made vegetarian tamales with Crisco with pretty good
results. And the commercial lard in the US ain't so great either.

Felice Friese

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

"Carl-Jonas Wernhoff" <t...@linkoping.mail.telia.com> wrote in message
<snip>
>So ... what is "Crisco", is there any other name for it (so that

> I might find it in my dictionary)? >

So now you know more than you wanted to know about Crisco. It's a heart
attack in a can, but it's NOT all bad. It makes disgusting frosting, but it
makes terrific biscuits. Win some, lose some.

Felice

Alas, Babylon

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

I took a Wilton cake decorating class a few years back & guess what
THEY recommended for frosting. You betcha! Crisco. Butter flavor,
preferred. I almost gagged, but by golly, those roses & leaves came
out beautifully.

I cannot remember how they tasted.

Gloryon

>On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:12:20 -0500, Goomba <goo...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> If only that were true, but many experiences with yucky
>> crisco-based frostings prove otherwise.
>>
>> Greg Zywicki

Jim Yanik

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <20000328102132...@ng-de1.aol.com>,
jjm...@aol.comebyteme says...

>Crisco is a brand name for lard. Here in the USA there is regular and
>butter-flavored Crisco and we get it at any supermarket. I never use it
>myself, but I hope this helps.

Crisco is a VEGETABLE shortening. Lard is beef fat,IIRC.

Jim Yanik,NRA member

LINDA MAGEE1

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

Who cares what the cake "looks" like! If it doesn't taste good, why bother? I
know most store-bought cakes are made with that nasty frosting...even Costco's.
I won't buy a cake unless it has a whipped cream frosting. Chocolate cake with
bananas in the middle and LOTS of whipped cream. YUM!

<glo...@simi.com> writes:

>Subject: Re: What is "Crisco"
>From: "Alas, Babylon" <glo...@simi.com>
>Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 00:52:39 GMT

LINDA MAGEE1

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

Curly Sue

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
linda...@cs.com (LINDA MAGEE1) wrote:

>Who cares what the cake "looks" like! If it doesn't taste good, why bother? I

That's why I don't like cakes from Chinese bakeries. The ones I've
tried look fabulous, with gorgeous fruit on top but taste like
nothing, zilch, nada. They are not "too sweet," which I understand is
their virtue, but eating them is pointless. (As opposed to other
pastries, tarts, etc. in Chinese bakeries).

Sue(tm)

sue at interport net

Curly Sue

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Goomba <goo...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>gzywicki wrote:
>>
>> In article <19v1es8orvefgv0ah...@4ax.com>, david
>> wright <dtwr...@badstuffswbell.net> wrote:
>> >On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:07:08 -0800, GW
>> <gwa...@pop.mpls.uswest.net>

>> equivalent
>> >

>> >Depends on the recipe. Crisco is tasteless; lard isn't.
>> >
>> >David

>> If only that were true, but many experiences with yucky
>> crisco-based frostings prove otherwise.
>>
>> Greg Zywicki
>
>I didn't think real people made frosting with crisco. I thought only
>icky grocery store bakeries did because it was cheaper than butter.
>It's not a taste as much as a greasy feel in your mouth..

Well, that's Krispy Kreme donuts too, but lots of people like them.

LINDA MAGEE1

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

Goomba, maybe you should make them a REAL cake with good frosting. Then, maybe
you could get others to bake cakes for such occasions. Whenever they have a
retirement, or something like that at my hubby's work, I always bake the cake.
They're spoiled now. I doubt if any of them would even eat a store-bought cake.
Just thinking about one makes me shiver!

Linda

In article <38E16B8B...@mindspring.com>, Goomba <goo...@mindspring.com>

Victor Sack

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Carl-Jonas Wernhoff <t...@linkoping.mail.telia.com> wrote:

> I just made a posting concerning "a stick", and here I go again... In the
> reciepe, I also found that "1/2 cup of Crisco" should be added. I live in
> Sweden, and don't know what "Crisco" is, I couldn't find it in my
> dictionary. So... what is "Crisco", is there any other name for it (so that
> I might find it in my dictionary)? In what kind of store could I find it?

Here's what you would find in the rec.food.cooking FAQ:
<quote>
Shortening is solid, white fat made from hydrogenated vegetable oil.
(A popular brand name is Crisco, and many people call all shortening
Crisco.)
</quote>

There are many other definitions that probably would be absent from most
dictionaries. The FAQ can be found at
<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/cooking/faq/index.html>
or
<ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/rec.food.cooking/>

Victor
who is starting to think that posting a weekly FAQ pointer might be a
good idea

Dave Carnell

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Pie crust is far better made with lard than with CriscoŽ or any other vegetyable
oil shortening.

david wright wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:44:15 -0600, david wright

> <dtwr...@badstuffswbell.net> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:07:08 -0800, GW <gwa...@pop.mpls.uswest.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>More to the point, since the person with
> >>the question can't find any Crisco , can lard be substituted in equivalent
> >>measure where a recipe calls for Crisco?
> >
> >Depends on the recipe. Crisco is tasteless; lard isn't.
> >
> >David
>

> Sorry for following up my own message. I meant to add an example,

> which is that tamales, for one thing, are much better made with lard

> than with Crisco or its equivalent.
>

> David

MR B.

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

"Victor Sack" <sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote in message

A automatic daily pointer to the FAQ ; with info on what maybe found
there ; might help.

PENMART10

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <CocE4.725$3g5.1...@tw11.nn.bcandid.com>, jya...@iag.net (Jim
Yanik) writes:

>Crisco is a VEGETABLE shortening. Lard is beef fat,IIRC.

Among other mental deficiencies, you suffer from amnesia. Lard is PORK fat.

Victor Sack

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
MR B. <haha...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> A automatic daily pointer to the FAQ ; with info on what maybe found
> there ; might help.

Oh no! That would be way too often. Besides, it would be cancellable
spam (BI 45). Weekly is about as often as I would go.

Victor

Gary O.

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
Actually, Crisco is a brand name which has become commonly used as a
generic term for solid vegetable shortening. Crisco oil is commonly
used as a generic term for a type of cooking oil, although this is not
as widespread as the use of simply "Crisco" to denote vegetable
shortening. Think Jello for gelatin dessert as an analogy.

Gary O.
trac...@pacbell.net