Freezing celery...

Jeßus

Dec 7, 2016, 4:58:06 PM12/7/16
Is blanching essential, worth doing?
Thanks.

Nunya Bidnits

Dec 7, 2016, 5:21:30 PM12/7/16
On 12/7/2016 2:57 PM, Je�us wrote:
> Is blanching essential, worth doing?
> Thanks.

Why can't you just DIE?????

S Viemeister

Dec 8, 2016, 2:39:10 AM12/8/16
On 12/7/2016 9:57 PM, Je�us wrote:
> Is blanching essential, worth doing?
> Thanks.

I haven't found it necessary. I just slice/chop the celery, spread it
out on a baking sheet, freeze, and then bag.

Jeßus

Dec 8, 2016, 1:28:15 PM12/8/16
On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 07:39:10 +0000, S Viemeister
<firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>On 12/7/2016 9:57 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> Is blanching essential, worth doing?
>> Thanks.
>>
>I haven't found it necessary. I just slice/chop the celery, spread it
>out on a baking sheet, freeze, and then bag.

Thanks Sheila, I won't bother with the blanching if that works for
you.

Brooklyn1

Dec 8, 2016, 1:29:27 PM12/8/16
S Viemeister wrote:
>Je?us wrote:
>>
>> Is blanching essential, worth doing?
>>
>I haven't found it necessary. I just slice/chop the celery, spread it
>out on a baking sheet, freeze, and then bag.

And then bury it in your freezer for two years before mumbling "what's
this shit" and tossing in the trash. I've never froze fresh celery
because once frozen it turns to mush when defrosted, it's barely good
in stews/soups so if I have celery that I don't plan on using before
it will go bad that's when I plan on a soup/stew or some cooked dish
that uses celery (meat loaf), I also like braised celery in chicken
stock. I can always use up a lot of celery and other veggies before
they go off in a pot of stir fry/chow mein. I can use up a lot of
celery in bloody marys... or use for a dip instead of chips, celery is
more healthful. I think it's idiotic to freeze celery, that's why
the frozen food companys don't... I've never seen frozen celery at
markets.

The Greatest!

Dec 8, 2016, 1:49:03 PM12/8/16
Yup, I've never even *heard* of freezing celery...makes as much sense as freezing lettuce.

--
Best
Greg

Jeßus

Dec 8, 2016, 2:00:10 PM12/8/16
On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 13:29:11 -0500, Brooklyn1
<grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

>S Viemeister wrote:
>>Je?us wrote:
>>>
>>> Is blanching essential, worth doing?
>>>
>>I haven't found it necessary. I just slice/chop the celery, spread it
>>out on a baking sheet, freeze, and then bag.
>
>And then bury it in your freezer for two years before mumbling "what's
>this shit" and tossing in the trash.

Not everyone is like you.

> I've never froze fresh celery
>because once frozen it turns to mush when defrosted, it's barely good
>in stews/soups so if I have celery that I don't plan on using before
>it will go bad that's when I plan on a soup/stew or some cooked dish
>that uses celery (meat loaf), I also like braised celery in chicken
>stock. I can always use up a lot of celery and other veggies before
>they go off in a pot of stir fry/chow mein. I can use up a lot of
>celery in bloody marys...

That I don't doubt.

>or use for a dip instead of chips, celery is
>more healthful. I think it's idiotic to freeze celery, that's why
>the frozen food companys don't... I've never seen frozen celery at
>markets.

Sitting on your throne in the crystal palace again? I see frozen
celery in the supermarkets all the time, either mixed with other
veggies or on it's own.

Brooklyn1

Dec 8, 2016, 6:03:26 PM12/8/16
I've never seen frozen celery, not on it's own. If frozen celery
exists in your world you should have no problem furnishing a link from
a store selling frozen celery.
http://www.canyoufreezethis.com/can-you-freeze-celery/

sf

Dec 9, 2016, 2:47:58 AM12/9/16
On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 08:57:59 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:

> Is blanching essential, worth doing?
> Thanks.

Not if you intend to cook it anyway.

sf

Dec 9, 2016, 2:54:25 AM12/9/16
Freeze it with equal portions of onion and carrot to make a mirepoix.
I freeze a fairly small chopped mixture in snack baggies. They are
the perfect size to use when I'm making stock in my crockpot, so that
cuts down on prep work. Grab and go. If you like to brown your stock
ingredients, pop it onto the pan of bones and roast it all together.

Jeßus

Dec 9, 2016, 4:09:11 PM12/9/16
On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 23:54:24 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 05:28:08 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 07:39:10 +0000, S Viemeister
>> <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>> >I haven't found it necessary. I just slice/chop the celery, spread it
>> >out on a baking sheet, freeze, and then bag.
>>
>> Thanks Sheila, I won't bother with the blanching if that works for
>> you.
>
>Freeze it with equal portions of onion and carrot to make a mirepoix.

That's an idea, as I do make my own stocks.

>I freeze a fairly small chopped mixture in snack baggies. They are
>the perfect size to use when I'm making stock in my crockpot, so that
>cuts down on prep work. Grab and go. If you like to brown your stock
>ingredients, pop it onto the pan of bones and roast it all together.

Thanks, celery is cheap and plentiful here ATM so I might do this (if
I get time).

Jeßus

Dec 9, 2016, 4:17:47 PM12/9/16
Yes... because we all know every store has it's own web site. Well,
this is their web site: https://www.tasfresh.com.au/no-frills.html
Not much help, is it? Damn those fercoktah faggots...

Never mind, I'll just provide these links instead:
http://www.westernharvest.co.nz/frozen/#layer-celery-sliced-or-diced
http://www.interaustfoods.com.au/celery

This is where you somehow manage to miss my reply and act like it
never happened, right? (like you always do).

Dave Smith

Dec 9, 2016, 5:51:03 PM12/9/16
On 2016-12-09 4:08 PM, Je�us wrote:

> Thanks, celery is cheap and plentiful here ATM so I might do this (if
> I get time).

Celery is a lot more expensive that it used to me. It is something that
I like to have on hand, even if it isn't really food. We use it mainly
as a mild flavouring in soups and braised dishes. It often goes south
before we use it up.

FWIW... my MIL used to occasionally serve steamed celery as a vegetable.
It was pretty tasty, but I don't know anyone else you did that.

Jeßus

Dec 9, 2016, 5:56:11 PM12/9/16
On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 17:52:09 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2016-12-09 4:08 PM, Je?us wrote:
>
>> Thanks, celery is cheap and plentiful here ATM so I might do this (if
>> I get time).
>
>Celery is a lot more expensive that it used to me. It is something that
>I like to have on hand, even if it isn't really food. We use it mainly
>as a mild flavouring in soups and braised dishes.

It really enhances the flavour and/or texture of many things.

>It often goes south before we use it up.

Yes, one of the reasons I wish to freeze it. I invariably end up
throwing a lot of celery into the compost.

>FWIW... my MIL used to occasionally serve steamed celery as a vegetable.
>It was pretty tasty, but I don't know anyone else you did that.

Not on it's own, no.

Janet

Dec 9, 2016, 9:36:57 PM12/9/16
In article <ozG2A.117427$NC2....@fx13.iad>, adavid...@sympatico.ca
says...
I sometimes braise it in butter.

Janet UK

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 10, 2016, 6:39:46 AM12/10/16
On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 5:51:03 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-12-09 4:08 PM, Je�us wrote:
>
> > Thanks, celery is cheap and plentiful here ATM so I might do this (if
> > I get time).
>
> Celery is a lot more expensive that it used to me. It is something that
> I like to have on hand, even if it isn't really food.

In your opinion. I find it a tasty and filling snack.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Dec 10, 2016, 8:39:13 AM12/10/16
I almost picked up a bag of frozen mirepoix the last time I was at the
supermarket. As sf said, it cuts down on prep time for things like
stock. I don't use enough celery to warrant buying a bunch of it. Then
again, I don't make 10 gallons of stock at a time, either. ;)

Jill

notbob

Dec 10, 2016, 9:08:32 AM12/10/16
On 2016-12-09, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> ....even if it isn't really food.

It isn't!?

Cajun/Creole cooks may disagree. If a "crudite" is not a food, WTF is
it? I eat celery w/ peanut butter all the time. Celery soup is not
food? The WTF is it?

Wanna try, again, Dave? ;)

nb

Dave Smith

Dec 10, 2016, 9:55:47 AM12/10/16
Eat nothing but celery for two weeks and tell me it is food.

notbob

Dec 10, 2016, 10:04:57 AM12/10/16
On 2016-12-10, l not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> Also good with cream cheese. And much more sturdy as a dip delivery
> vehicle than potato chips; I've never broken a celery stick in the spinach
> dip bowl 8-)

Agree.

I've recently begun making my own "blue cheese" dip. Mayo, sour
cream, Worchestershire, Sriracha, celery salt .....the usual. If I
can't afford to buy real Buffalo wings, anymore, I can damn sure dip
celery into blue cheese dip.

nb

Dave Smith

Dec 10, 2016, 10:05:48 AM12/10/16
On 2016-12-10 9:30 AM, l not -l wrote:
> +1
> Also good with cream cheese. And much more sturdy as a dip delivery
> vehicle than potato chips; I've never broken a celery stick in the spinach
> dip bowl 8-)

Celery is useful as a flavouring ingredient and as a delivery vehicle
for food.

notbob

Dec 10, 2016, 10:08:31 AM12/10/16
On 2016-12-10, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Eat nothing but celery for two weeks and tell me it is food.

Eat nothing but ____________(fill in blank) for two weeks and tell
me it is food.

Spam?
K-rats?
beans?

If that is yer comeback, you lose! ;)

nb

Dave Smith

Dec 10, 2016, 10:10:14 AM12/10/16
At least you would be alive. There is so little nutrition on celery that
you cannot live on it.

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 10, 2016, 10:44:06 AM12/10/16
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2016-12-09 4:08 PM, Je?us wrote:
>
>> Thanks, celery is cheap and plentiful here ATM so I might do this (if
>> I get time).
>
>Celery is a lot more expensive that it used to me. It is something that
>I like to have on hand, even if it isn't really food.
snip
then cucumber, zucchini, lettuce and a multitude of other vegetables
are not food. How do you regard onions?
Google 'celery recipes.'
Janet US

Gary

Dec 10, 2016, 10:52:04 AM12/10/16
notbob wrote:

> I've recently begun making my own "blue cheese" dip. Mayo, sour
> cream, Worchestershire, Sriracha, celery salt .....the usual. If I
> can't afford to buy real Buffalo wings, anymore, I can damn sure dip
> celery into blue cheese dip.

If the overrated wings are too expensive (and they usually are,
especially right before SuperBowl time), try Buffalo whole chicken..or
Buffalo thighs. Same tasting chicken, same hot sauce, same blue cheese
dip - just more good meat in every bite.

Rather than gnawing on a wimpy chicken wing, chomp down on a huge chuck
of chicken thigh then come back and tell me you'll keep buying wings.

My hot sauce is always Frank's Red Hot Sauce mixed with melted butter.
Supposedly this is the original used. If not, it's good and I won't
change.

For the dip, I always use this:
http://www.maries.com/product-detail.aspx?productID=1
You'll find this in the produce section. It's the best I've ever had.

I quit the chicken wings many years ago when... It was the week before
the Superbowl and I got the urge for them (probably because of all the
hype about buffalo wings being 'traditional'. I went to the grocery
store and chicken wings were naturally at a premium right then. $4.99/lb
for wings. Oh Man!

Then I looked over and saw whole chickens on sale for only $0.89/lb.
Same animal so I'll give it a try for way less. I cut the chicken into
11 pieces and turned them into buffalo chicken. I've never wasted my
money on wings only since then.

Gary

Dec 10, 2016, 10:58:28 AM12/10/16
l not -l wrote:

> notbob wrote:
>
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> > > ....even if it isn't really food.
> >
> > It isn't!?
> >
> > Cajun/Creole cooks may disagree. If a "crudite" is not a food, WTF is
> > it? I eat celery w/ peanut butter all the time. Celery soup is not
> > food? The WTF is it?

> +1
> Also good with cream cheese. And much more sturdy as a dip delivery
> vehicle than potato chips; I've never broken a celery stick in the spinach
> dip bowl 8-)

Celery soup, potato soup (with celery) is good
Also good eating a raw stalk filled with peanut butter,
soft cheese, cream cheese.

Also like you said above, celery and carrots make an excellent thing to
use with your favorite dip. I sometimes use them and also cucumber
strips with a good dip.

Gary

Dec 10, 2016, 11:44:03 AM12/10/16
Dave Smith wrote:

> Eat nothing but celery for two weeks and tell me it is food.

In all seriousness, Dave, eat *any* food exclusively for
two weeks and you'll be so sick of it.

<repeat story>
My only exception is McDonald's hamburgers. lol
And I do speak from experience.
Back in the early 1990's or so, for some reason,
McDonalds sold their regular hamburgers for only
25 cents each. The regular price was maybe 69 cents
each at the time. This sale lasted a month or slightly
more.

I bought maybe 5 of them ($1.25 + tax) the first day.
I wanted to stock up but didn't know how they would freeze.
I ate 3 right then and froze the other two in a foldtop
sandwich baggie.

Next day (or two) I microwaved the frozen burgers and
they heated up tasting just like fresh made. Oh yeah!
From then on, until the end of the sale, I bought
40 of those boys at a time and froze most of them.
As they started to run out, I bought another 40-count.
40 burgers only $10 plus tax

During that time I pretty much ate them for meals and snacks...
almost exclusively. Never even came close to tiring of them.

Not only that, it *was* kind of funny going in and ordering
*40* hamburgers at a time. Ah, the good ol days! :-D

http://i68.tinypic.com/2vi12f8.jpg

.

jmcquown

Dec 10, 2016, 11:54:19 AM12/10/16
On 12/10/2016 11:41 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 10-Dec-2016, wrote:

>>> It isn't!?
>>>
>>> Cajun/Creole cooks may disagree. If a "crudite" is not a food, WTF is
>>> it? I eat celery w/ peanut butter all the time. Celery soup is not
>>> food? The WTF is it?
>>>
>>> Wanna try, again, Dave? ;)
>>>

>> Eat nothing but celery for two weeks and tell me it is food.
> Eat nothing but celery, or any other food, for two weeks and I'll tell you
> that you are either desperately short of food options or a mental defective;
> either way, you seriously need help. In fact, I suggest you seek help for
> coming up with such a ridiculous response.

LOLOL

Jill

jmcquown

Dec 10, 2016, 11:56:43 AM12/10/16
Same with iceburg lettuce but a lot of people love it. Both of them are
mostly water. Crisp, sure.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 10, 2016, 12:27:05 PM12/10/16
On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 9:55:47 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Eat nothing but celery for two weeks and tell me it is food.

Oh, that's just bullshit. Who the hell would eat only one
food for two weeks? By your standard, no vegetable is a food.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Dec 10, 2016, 1:22:38 PM12/10/16
Lettuce and cucumber are diet food. You would starve to death eating
just cucumber and lettuce because there are almost no calories in it.
Onion is not much better, but at least has some calories in it.

Jeßus

Dec 10, 2016, 1:33:17 PM12/10/16
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 10:51:12 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>If the overrated wings are too expensive (and they usually are,
>especially right before SuperBowl time), try Buffalo whole chicken..or
>Buffalo thighs.

Is this some kind of bizarre bovine-fowl hybrid? GMO gone mad.

Jeßus

Dec 10, 2016, 1:34:05 PM12/10/16
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 10:06:54 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Celery is useful as a flavouring ingredient and as a delivery vehicle
>for food.

How do you feel about lettuce?

Jeßus

Dec 10, 2016, 1:36:08 PM12/10/16
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 13:23:45 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2016-12-10 10:44 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 17:52:09 -0500, Dave Smith
>> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>> Celery is a lot more expensive that it used to me. It is something that
>>> I like to have on hand, even if it isn't really food.
>> snip
>> then cucumber, zucchini, lettuce and a multitude of other vegetables
>> are not food. How do you regard onions?
>>

>Lettuce and cucumber are diet food. You would starve to death eating
>just cucumber and lettuce because there are almost no calories in it.
>Onion is not much better, but at least has some calories in it.

This isn't logical Dave.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 10, 2016, 1:38:59 PM12/10/16
Lettuce and cucumber are everyday food. You would starve to death
just eating meat, because it doesn't provide complete nutrition.

Cindy Hamilton

Jeßus

Dec 10, 2016, 1:43:12 PM12/10/16
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 08:39:08 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Yep. I tend to waste a lot of celery (as do a lot of people), hence my
wanting to freeze some of it. It's so cheap here ATM that even if you
want just a few stalks, you might as well buy a whole celery.

I've been using a lot more celery lately though, adding it to things I
normally don't think to add some to. I make one or two batches of
stock each year, I use a lot of stock, especially in winter.

Gary

Dec 10, 2016, 1:44:22 PM12/10/16
l not -l wrote:

> Mia's miserable dad wrote:
> > Rather than gnawing on a wimpy chicken wing, chomp down on a huge chunk
> > of chicken thigh

> Buffalo pork/pig wings are a pretty good alternative to Buffalo chicken
> wings. They are from the pork shank, therefore, not wimpy. If you can't
> find them by that name at the grocery, buy pork shanks. There are numerous
> recipes that can be found on Bing/Google.

I've never thought of trying that with pork but good idea.
We make bbq with it so why not season it differently for
Buffalo pork. hmmmmmm great idea. :-D

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 10, 2016, 1:44:51 PM12/10/16
Supposing for a moment that you're not taking the piss (and I'm
50/50 on that), "Buffalo Chicken" is a preparation of deep-fried
chicken wings sauced with butter (or margarine) and a vinegar-based
hot sauce. It's quite popular in bars, since it increases the
consumption of beer. It is often served with a side of celery
and/or carrot sticks, and a dip made of mayonnaise, crumbled bleu
cheese, and other flavorings.

some leftover chicken for lunch, reheated in a little butter and
dosed liberally with Frank's Hot Sauce, accompanied by celery,
carrot sticks, and a dip made of yogurt flavored with herbs.
Not as tasty as deep-fried chicken wings, but it used available
materials.

Cindy Hamilton

notbob

Dec 10, 2016, 1:47:08 PM12/10/16
On 2016-12-10, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Lettuce and cucumber are diet food. You would starve to death eating
> just cucumber and lettuce because there are almost no calories in it.
> Onion is not much better, but at least has some calories in it.

Under the proper conditions, you can also starve to death eating
nothing but rabbit.

Read this:

"Celery is often incorrectly thought to be a "negative-calorie food,"
the digestion of which burns more calories than the body can
obtain. In fact, eating celery provides positive net calories, with
digestion consuming only a small proportion of the calories taken in."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celery#Nutrition

If you wanna continue with yer alarmist tirade --no matter how
absurd-- do it w/o me. ;)

nb

Gary

Dec 10, 2016, 2:04:47 PM12/10/16
"Jeßus" wrote:

> Yep. I tend to waste a lot of celery (as do a lot of people), hence my
> wanting to freeze some of it. It's so cheap here ATM that even if you
> want just a few stalks, you might as well buy a whole celery.

Definitely. I bought a whole celery about 3 weeks ago and only used 3
stalks for stuffing at Thanksgiving. It only cost me $1.00. Lots of
times, mine just goes bad too so thanks for bringing up this subject.
Tomorrow I'll make some potato soup and the last of it, I'll freeze to
add to stock/broth later on.

Heck, I might even try one stalk with peanut butter tonight. It's been
about 25 years since I made those for my daughter. :)

Jeßus

Dec 10, 2016, 2:07:55 PM12/10/16
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 10:44:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 1:33:17 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 10:51:12 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >If the overrated wings are too expensive (and they usually are,
>> >especially right before SuperBowl time), try Buffalo whole chicken..or
>> >Buffalo thighs.
>>
>> Is this some kind of bizarre bovine-fowl hybrid? GMO gone mad.
>
>Supposing for a moment that you're not taking the piss (and I'm
>50/50 on that),

50/50, really??

>"Buffalo Chicken" is a preparation of deep-fried
>chicken wings sauced with butter (or margarine) and a vinegar-based
>hot sauce. It's quite popular in bars, since it increases the
>consumption of beer. It is often served with a side of celery
>and/or carrot sticks, and a dip made of mayonnaise, crumbled bleu
>cheese, and other flavorings.

I had a vague idea what 'buffalo chicken' was but not on the specific
ingredients.

>some leftover chicken for lunch, reheated in a little butter and
>dosed liberally with Frank's Hot Sauce, accompanied by celery,
>carrot sticks, and a dip made of yogurt flavored with herbs.
>Not as tasty as deep-fried chicken wings, but it used available
>materials.

Sounds good to me. What kind of herbs did you add to the yoghurt?

Jeßus

Dec 10, 2016, 2:09:53 PM12/10/16
You can't live on any one type of food. Baffled by your stance on this
one... does it really matter if celery lacks all nutrients essential
for survival?

Jeßus

Dec 10, 2016, 2:12:34 PM12/10/16
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 08:17:33 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 18:03:07 -0500, Brooklyn1
><grave...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 06:00:02 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:

>>>Not everyone is like you.

>>>That I don't doubt.

>>>Sitting on your throne in the crystal palace again? I see frozen
>>>celery in the supermarkets all the time, either mixed with other
>>>veggies or on it's own.
>>
>>I've never seen frozen celery, not on it's own. If frozen celery
>>exists in your world you should have no problem furnishing a link from
>>a store selling frozen celery.
>
>Yes... because we all know every store has it's own web site. Well,
>this is their web site: https://www.tasfresh.com.au/no-frills.html
>Not much help, is it? Damn those fercoktah faggots...
>
>Never mind, I'll just provide these links instead:
>http://www.westernharvest.co.nz/frozen/#layer-celery-sliced-or-diced
>http://www.interaustfoods.com.au/celery
>
>This is where you somehow manage to miss my reply and act like it
>never happened, right? (like you always do).

Yep. Same 'ol same 'ol.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 10, 2016, 2:45:40 PM12/10/16
To be perfectly frank, they came from a packet, so I don't know
exactly what was in it. We'd just come in from the cold, and
I was starving, so I took the line of least resistance.

If I had been inclined to do it from scratch (as I often am),
it would have been garlic, scallions (I believe you might call
them shallots), coriander leaves, and parsley. Salt and pepper
to taste.

Cindy Hamilton

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 10, 2016, 2:46:02 PM12/10/16
freeze what you don't use for the next time you want to make stock.
That means you won't have to make a special trip to buy celery just to
make stock.
Janet US

Bruce

Dec 10, 2016, 2:47:07 PM12/10/16
In article <LJX2A.51132$6G2....@fx23.iad>, Dave Smith says...
In these days of obesity, what's better than a food item with almost no
calories?

notbob

Dec 10, 2016, 2:47:16 PM12/10/16
On 2016-12-10, U.S Janet B <J...@nospam.com> wrote:

> That means you won't have to make a special trip to buy celery just to
> make stock.

I hadda buy beer, anyway. ;)

nb

Bruce

Dec 10, 2016, 3:27:51 PM12/10/16
In article <6sko4cpjdpl9mlcci...@j.net>, Jeßus says...
Sheldon's MO:

10 He talks nonsense.
20 Someone proves him wrong.
30 He ignores that.
40 Goto 10.

The Greatest!

Dec 10, 2016, 5:38:34 PM12/10/16
+1

--
Best
Greg

notbob

Dec 11, 2016, 9:37:02 AM12/11/16
On 2016-12-10, l not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> Than reminds me of another great use for celery - bloddy mary's

Testify!

Jeßus

Dec 11, 2016, 2:10:15 PM12/11/16
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 11:45:37 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
Sounds good to me Cindy, I wonder how some fresh French tarragon would
go in place of the coriander (I like tarragon with chicken, but I like
coriander too).

(I appreciate you called it coriander and not Cilantro too ;)

Jeßus

Dec 11, 2016, 2:10:49 PM12/11/16
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 07:27:45 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Exactly.

Jeßus

Dec 11, 2016, 2:13:13 PM12/11/16
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 14:03:56 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>"Jeßus" wrote:
>>
>> Yep. I tend to waste a lot of celery (as do a lot of people), hence my
>> wanting to freeze some of it. It's so cheap here ATM that even if you
>> want just a few stalks, you might as well buy a whole celery.
>
>Definitely. I bought a whole celery about 3 weeks ago and only used 3
>stalks for stuffing at Thanksgiving. It only cost me $1.00. Lots of
>times, mine just goes bad too so thanks for bringing up this subject.
>Tomorrow I'll make some potato soup and the last of it, I'll freeze to
>add to stock/broth later on.

Fresh bunches of celery are not always available here, so that's
another reason I'm interested in freezing it.

>Heck, I might even try one stalk with peanut butter tonight. It's been
>about 25 years since I made those for my daughter. :)

I haven't tried that at all, but I might later today out of curiosity.

notbob

Dec 11, 2016, 3:26:03 PM12/11/16
Great combo. I eat it all the time.

Unfortunately, I buy organic celery, then spread it with Jif. 8|

nb

Jeßus

Dec 11, 2016, 3:30:33 PM12/11/16
On 11 Dec 2016 20:25:59 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>On 2016-12-11, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 14:03:56 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
>
>>>Heck, I might even try one stalk with peanut butter tonight. It's been
>>>about 25 years since I made those for my daughter. :)
>
>> I haven't tried that at all, but I might later today out of curiosity.
>
>Great combo. I eat it all the time.

I will certainly try it soon.

>Unfortunately, I buy organic celery, then spread it with Jif. 8|

Eww. https://www.unilever.com.au/brands/our-brands/jif.html
I'll bet your teeth are clean, though (I know your Jif is really
peanut butter ;).

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 11, 2016, 4:02:43 PM12/11/16
I usually call it cilantro, but for this I used "coriander", just
for you.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Dec 11, 2016, 4:54:30 PM12/11/16
In article <fmdr4cla6ka4rp3v8...@j.net>, Jeßus says...
Oh, that explains it.

Bruce

Dec 11, 2016, 11:24:53 PM12/11/16
In article <o2kjt7$81k$1...@dont-email.me>, l not -l says...
> you forgot:
> 35 OR goes ballistic AND rants with profanity and name-calling

Yes, that's a bonus option.

Jeßus

Dec 12, 2016, 1:53:21 PM12/12/16
Aww... why thank you, Cobber.

Jeßus

Dec 12, 2016, 1:54:06 PM12/12/16
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 22:29:14 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

>On 11-Dec-2016, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:
>
>you forgot:
>35 OR goes ballistic AND rants with profanity and name-calling

35, AKA Crystal Palace.

Nancy2

Dec 15, 2016, 8:36:27 AM12/15/16

If you like celery, and I do, there is at least one recipe out there for celery au gratin.
I don't have the recipe...made it once and loved it, by my son doesn't want it in
anything, so I didn't save it. He and my DIL are my usual guests.

N.