What is Vegemite

Mike Chevalier

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
or found a recipe. MC

Norma Blackburn

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

In article <326C49...@erols.com>, Mike Chevalier <che...@erols.com> wrote:
>Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
>or found a recipe. MC

What is Vegemite!!! Everyone knows what Vegemite is, don't they?
Just kidding, Vegemite is an Australian spread, it's concentrated yeast
extract. It's very dark brown (almost black), quite salty, and very yummy. As
well as being a great sandwich spread (I love cheese and vegemite sanga's),
it's good for adding flavour to soups, stews, gravy, meatballs etc.

For some reason, whenever I smell vegemite sandwiches, I think of the first
school I attended. We lived in Sydney and I started school there, before we
moved to Newcastle 6 months into the school year. And even though I was only
there for a short time, I can still recall it when given the right stimulant
(ie. vegemite sandwiches) Does anyone else have any food smells that remind
them of a certain time or place?? I actually have quite a few, most of them
relating to my childhood.

Norma

Kevin Wilhite

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

In article <326C49...@erols.com>, Mike Chevalier <che...@erols.com> wrote:
>Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
>or found a recipe. MC

EVIL.

The advance of civilization is nothing but an exercise in limiting privacy.
-Pelorat

nat...@hub.ofthe.net

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

Eric Hunt wrote:
> In article <54i5sn$v...@ghostgum.hunterlink.net.au>,

> blac...@hunterlink.net.au (Norma Blackburn) wrote:
>
> > What is Vegemite!!! Everyone knows what Vegemite is, don't they?
> > Just kidding, Vegemite is an Australian spread, it's concentrated yeast
> > extract. It's very dark brown (almost black), quite salty, and very yummy. As
>
> Do Australians have the violent, visceral reaction to Peanut Butter that
> Americans do to Vegemite? Many people have said that Americans have a
> unique affinity for Peanut Butter that is not shared by the rest of the
> world.

I knew an Austrailian girl in high school. She brought a vegemite
sandwich for me one day, and I brought a peanut butter and jelly for
her. Well, I think it was a bit of shock to both of us. I didn't care
for vegemite, and she didn't really like peanut butter... violent? no...
different YES!

BTW: If I am not mistaken vegemite is called marimite (sp?) in the U.K.

Kate <--- didn't like the vegemite.
--
mailto:nat...@hub.ofthe.net

Norma Blackburn

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

> BTW: If I am not mistaken vegemite is called marimite (sp?) in the
U.K.

>Kate <--- didn't like the vegemite.

Marmite and Vegemite are not the same, they are similar, as is Promite, but
there is definitely a difference. IMHO Vegemite is the best

Norma

nat...@hub.ofthe.net

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96
to Jan Forbes

Jan Forbes wrote:
> Marmite is made from meat extract and Vegemite is made from yeast
> extract. Most lovers of Vegemite HATE Marmite, and usually also HATE
> another Vegemite clone called PROMITE (I think it is also a yeast extract
> but is totally disgusting!).
[snip]

I think I will stick to "normal" food *giggle* Thank you for the
clarification! Somebody told me Vegemite & Marmite were the same.

My friend didn't care for the jelly also. Me, I thought the salty part
of the vegemite was ok, I just didn't like the yeasty part! :)

Kate
--
mailto:nat...@hub.ofthe.net

robinc

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

In article <326C49...@erols.com>, Mike Chevalier <che...@erols.com> says:

>Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
>or found a recipe. MC

Vegemite is a very salty yeast extract that Australians use to make them
hypertensive. The British do the same thing with a product called Marmite.
I believe it's made by lysing yeast with caustic soda and then neutralizing
it with hydrochloric acid.

Kat

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

Kevin Wilhite wrote:

> In article <326C49...@erols.com>, Mike Chevalier <che...@erols.com> wrote:
> >Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
> >or found a recipe. MC
>
> EVIL.
>
> --
> The advance of civilization is nothing but an exercise in limiting privacy.
> -Pelorat

Vegemite is an Australian product made from yeast extract. It tastes
great "thinly" spread on buttered toast. It also gives a great zing to
gravies. It's an acquired taste though, one that I was brought up on and
if you've never tried it, you probably won't like it.

Kat

Michael Dove

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

Mike Chevalier wrote:

> Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
> or found a recipe. MC

It is an Australian Spread (mainly Yeast Extract). My GF thinks that it is unhealthy but I like it...

You have it on sandwiches and toast etc. I used to get it EVERY DAY for my school lunches...

go to www.ozchannel.com/vegshat/vegchat.html (I can't get there at the moment)

Mikey (Do...@citec.qld.gov.au)

TJ

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

Mike Chevalier wrote:

> Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
> or found a recipe. MC
A yeast extract as you now know. When I moved to Australia as an 8 year
old, I was given a vegemite sandwich, but could not force myself to eat
it after the first lick. I took it home. My very frugal father couldn't
stand to see a good sandwich go to waste and declared he would have it
for dinner. I recall he was very quiet during dinner. tj

Lisa Dal Santo

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

>In article <326C49...@erols.com>, Mike Chevalier <che...@erols.com> wrote:
>>Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
>>or found a recipe. MC

Similar to axle grease. It's a black tar-like spread that Australians
put on toast (my husband eats vegemite and butter sandwiches). It's
made from yeast extract. Very salty, and smells bad. I've been told
its what Australian kids are raised on, like American kids are
raised on peanut butter.

Lisa

Jan Forbes

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

In article <326D97...@hub.ofthe.net> , nat...@hub.ofthe.net writes:
>ew an Austrailian girl in high school. She brought a vegemite
>sandwich for me one day, and I brought a peanut butter and jelly for
>her. Well, I think it was a bit of shock to both of us. I didn't care
>for vegemite, and she didn't really like peanut butter... violent? no...
>different YES!
>
> BTW: If I am not mistaken vegemite is called marimite (sp?) in the U.K.

Marmite is made from meat extract and Vegemite is made from yeast

extract. Most lovers of Vegemite HATE Marmite, and usually also HATE
another Vegemite clone called PROMITE (I think it is also a yeast extract

but is totally disgusting!). I am an Austrlian who cannot function
without vegemite on toast (with butter) for breakfast at least 6
times/week and who grew up on the stuff, but I would sooner eat my hat
than Marmite or Promite (I'd at least have some chance of keeping the hat
down!).
As for Peanut Butter, most other Australians I know really like it on
sandwiches, but not with 'jelly' or jam (as we call it), although peanut
butter and honey is a popular combination. It is also much used for
making satay sauces which are very popular with most Australians. A total
absence of Peanut Butter in our supermarkets for several months occurtred
recently as a result of a salmonella scare - every time i went shopping
there were people cursing the empty shelves and obviously suffering from
withdrawals!
Jan

M. Meister

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

>Lisa

That, and the ozone hole explains a whole lot... 8-)

Maggie

Peter & Carol Meehan

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96
to nat...@hub.ofthe.net

No Vegemite and Marmite are not quite the same thing. They are
similar but to a seasoned Vegemite eater you can taste the
difference.
Carol - Aussie living in the US who gets her parents to ship
regular supplies of Vegemite so she doesn't run out
nat...@hub.ofthe.net wrote:

> Eric Hunt wrote:
> > In article <54i5sn$v...@ghostgum.hunterlink.net.au>,
> > blac...@hunterlink.net.au (Norma Blackburn) wrote:
> >
> > > What is Vegemite!!! Everyone knows what Vegemite is, don't they?
> > > Just kidding, Vegemite is an Australian spread, it's concentrated yeast
> > > extract. It's very dark brown (almost black), quite salty, and very yummy. As
> >
> > Do Australians have the violent, visceral reaction to Peanut Butter that
> > Americans do to Vegemite? Many people have said that Americans have a
> > unique affinity for Peanut Butter that is not shared by the rest of the
> > world.
>
> I knew an Austrailian girl in high school. She brought a vegemite

> sandwich for me one day, and I brought a peanut butter and jelly for
> her. Well, I think it was a bit of shock to both of us. I didn't care
> for vegemite, and she didn't really like peanut butter... violent? no...
> different YES!
>
> BTW: If I am not mistaken vegemite is called marimite (sp?) in the U.K.
>
> Kate <--- didn't like the vegemite.
> --
> mailto:nat...@hub.ofthe.net

eureka

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

My English grandmother practically lived on the Brit version, Marmite.
She used to take a little tub of butter, mix in a couple of tablespoons
of Marmite, and use it as a spread for toast at breakfast. She called
it "Stuff."
Eureka

Home page: http://www.interport.net/~eureka
mailto:eur...@interport.net

Scott Hysmith

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

> > Eric Hunt wrote:
> > > Do Australians have the violent, visceral reaction to Peanut Butter that
> > > Americans do to Vegemite? Many people have said that Americans have a
> > > unique affinity for Peanut Butter that is not shared by the rest of the
> > > world.

As I understand from a friend who grew up there, the reason she was
appalled at peanut butter at first was the brand name. Apparently
there is a common drain cleaner sold under the brand name "Jif".

Imagine offering someone a Drano sandwich.

Oh, and my first experience with vegemite had it spread OVER peanut
butter. I thought it was tasty, but not something I'd make a regular
habit of.

Scott Hysmith
Work: sco...@asymetrix.com - http://www.asymetrix.com/
Play: raks...@halcyon.com - http://www.halcyon.com/raksasha/

R. Burke and D. Brown

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

eh...@bga.com (Eric Hunt) wrote:

>From your description, which pretty much matches all the others I've heard
>of Vegemite, I have less trouble eating Vietnamese Fish Sauce than that
>stuff. *smile*
>--
>Eric Hunt __ eh...@bga.com (preferred)
>Austin, TX \/ hu...@metrowerks.com
> http://www.realtime.net/~ehunt

I *love* Fish Sauce! And Vietnamese Fish Sauce is the best.

Rachael Burke
Tampa,FL
ex-Austinite

Miren Seeley

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

In article <ehunt-ya02318000...@news3.bga.com>, eh...@bga.com
(Eric Hunt) wrote:

> In article <54i5sn$v...@ghostgum.hunterlink.net.au>,
> blac...@hunterlink.net.au (Norma Blackburn) wrote:
>
> > What is Vegemite!!! Everyone knows what Vegemite is, don't they?
> > Just kidding, Vegemite is an Australian spread, it's concentrated yeast
> > extract. It's very dark brown (almost black), quite salty, and very
yummy. As

> Do Australians have the violent, visceral reaction to Peanut Butter that
> Americans do to Vegemite? Many people have said that Americans have a
> unique affinity for Peanut Butter that is not shared by the rest of the
> world.
>

> From your description, which pretty much matches all the others I've heard
> of Vegemite, I have less trouble eating Vietnamese Fish Sauce than that
> stuff. *smile*

Don't know about Australians, but Kiwis don't seem to have a problem with
peanut butter (we have Vegemite too). What I find revolting is the
incredible things that Americans mix their peanut butter with! I have
tried a peanut butter and grape jelly combination called Goober Grape
which I found pretty repulsive, the sweetness with the peanut flavour just
didn't seem right somehow. Back to Vegemite, we used to have Vegemite and
lettuce sammies when we were kids. It's nice on hot toast with large
amounts of melted but not soaked in butter. Yum
Fish sauce bleccchhh (good in things though) the thought of eating that
straight is too nauseating to think about! :-)

Miren

--
Miren Seeley # I have abandoned my search
Dept of Anatomy & Structural Biology # for truth, and am now

Scott Shelley

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

>Kevin Wilhite wrote:
>>
>> In article <326C49...@erols.com>, Mike Chevalier <che...@erols.com> wrote:
>> >Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
>> >or found a recipe. MC
>>
>> EVIL.

I agree. A friend came back from Australia and told us that vegemite
was what they spread on bread. we smelled it....was disgusted.....we
decided to try it anyway.....had a small bite.....had to spit it out
and rinse the mouth out thoroughly. i have never tasted anthing so
disgusting in my life. liver and chickenfeet taste better.

Lin Nah

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

Mike Chevalier (che...@erols.com) wrote:
: Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
: or found a recipe. MC

A yeast extract that is very nice when spread thinly on a piece of
buttery toast.

There's an bit on it in the nz web site http://www.nz.com/
I think you need to look under culture. There's a section on it there
or one more level down in the fod section under culture.

sorry don't have the web browser here to check out where the page is.

I think you will find vegemite/marmite/other types of yeast extracts
in commonwealth contries or ex commonwealth. I've found it easily
in NZ, Aust, Uk and malaysia .

beautiful stuff as long as you remember "a little goes a long way".

As for Peanut butter, I rarely have it. DOn't recall having any this
year or last year unless it was used in some cooking.
I think peanut butter is a very american thing. I doubt NZers are
as obsessed with vegemite/marmite as Americans are with peanut butter.

regards
Lin

nat...@hub.ofthe.net

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96
to Miche

Miche wrote:
(snip)
> *anything* American. Peanut butter pretzels? Weird!
(snip)
Actually the other day I was making chocolate covered pretzels, and
dipped a few in peanut butter, and it was actually *quite* good! I guess
this proves the "American" theory, being "weird"

> In order to achieve balance, first you need two sides.
actually a you would need a base first. ;)

Kate
--
mailto:nat...@hub.ofthe.net

nat...@hub.ofthe.net

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96
to she...@physics.utoronto.ca

Scott Shelley Wrote:
(snip)

> I agree. A friend came back from Australia and told us that vegemite
> was what they spread on bread. we smelled it....was disgusted.....we
> decided to try it anyway.....had a small bite.....had to spit it out
> and rinse the mouth out thoroughly. i have never tasted anthing so
> disgusting in my life. liver and chickenfeet taste better.
you should try (I'm going to try this) braunsvauger (my German relatives
would *not* be proud) It's liver! I love it! and I *hate* weird food...
_chicken_ is weird food to me...

Kate
--
mailto:nat...@hub.ofthe.net

nat...@hub.ofthe.net

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96
to Miren Seeley

Miren Seeley wrote:
(snip)

> Don't know about Australians, but Kiwis don't seem to have a problem with
> peanut butter (we have Vegemite too). What I find revolting is the
> incredible things that Americans mix their peanut butter with! I have
> tried a peanut butter and grape jelly combination called Goober Grape
> which I found pretty repulsive, the sweetness with the peanut flavour just
(snip)
Now, not *all* Americans are this way, I find that cr*p pretty foul
also.

I've got to go, I have an onion, grape, peanut butter, cheeze WHIZ
casserole in the oven. Just Kidding (ugh)

Kate
--
mailto:nat...@hub.ofthe.net

Nathalie Chiva

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

Mike Chevalier (che...@erols.com) wrote:
> : Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
> : or found a recipe. MC
It even exists in Switzerland, under the (brand) name of Cenovis. You
love it or hate it, there is not middle way. My SO hates it, I love
it...
--

Nathalie Chiva
Informatique administrative UNIL

Nathali...@CI.unil.ch

Miche

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

eh...@bga.com (Eric Hunt) writes:

> Do Australians have the violent, visceral reaction to Peanut Butter that
> Americans do to Vegemite? Many people have said that Americans have a
> unique affinity for Peanut Butter that is not shared by the rest of the
> world.

I can't speak for Australians, but I know what for New Zealanders the
answer is 'no'. Indeed, some of us (myself included) are rather fond
of peanut butter. Some of us do think you lot are a little obsessed
with the stuff at times... there seems to be peanut butter in almost

*anything* American. Peanut butter pretzels? Weird!

Miche

------------
Michelle Campbell <*>
michelle...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz
What I post is my opinion only.

Scott Shelley

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

What I find revolting is the
>> incredible things that Americans mix their peanut butter with! I have
>> tried a peanut butter and grape jelly combination called Goober Grape
>> which I found pretty repulsive, the sweetness with the peanut flavour just
>(snip)

oh yeah, that stuff is purely promotional....try and create a new
product to make money. i don't think anyone actually buys it.

yes, grape jelly is gross.

you should try strawberry jam (homemade freezer jam is best) or
honey...or just plain.

Teresa

Miche

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

nat...@hub.ofthe.net writes:

> BTW: If I am not mistaken vegemite is called marimite (sp?) in the U.K.

Vegemite and marmite are two different versions of the same thing, made
by different companies.

Generally, if you like one you hate the other.

Sam J. Turner

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

Nathalie Chiva (Nathali...@CI.unil.ch) wrote:

: Mike Chevalier (che...@erols.com) wrote:
: > : Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
: > : or found a recipe. MC
: It even exists in Switzerland, under the (brand) name of Cenovis. You
: love it or hate it, there is not middle way. My SO hates it, I love
: it...

There's a modern mythology growing
around partners and marmite/vegemite.

Like star signs - two marmite lovers
are a bad match. As are two vegemites.
One lover of either and one hater of
both is the perfect match. A lover of
one and a lover of the other means
passion but little long term security.

Apparently.

Sam.

Keith Holley

Oct 27, 1996, 2:00:00 AM10/27/96

On 23 Oct 1996 04:58:05 GMT, rob...@oanet.com (robinc) wrote:

>In article <326C49...@erols.com>, Mike Chevalier <che...@erols.com> =
says:

>>Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
>>or found a recipe. MC
>

>Vegemite is a very salty yeast extract that Australians use to make them=
=20
>hypertensive. The British do the same thing with a product called =
Marmite.
>I believe it's made by lysing yeast with caustic soda and then =
neutralizing=20
>it with hydrochloric acid.

Vegemite is made from beer lees and is mainly made up of yeast
extract, very rich Vitamin B1, Riboflavin and Niacin. It has been
made for a long time in Australia before the war by Kraft. Most
Australian born children are brought up on Vegemite because of
richness in Vitamin. It can be use in cooking mainly in soups or
meat dishes (eg Stews and Casseroles etc) generally a teaspoon
amount. Most Australian used it as spead in sandwiches (hence the
famous Vegemite Sandswich) for children lunches as well as adults.
=20
Keith

* Keith Holley
* * Bundoora
+ Victoria Australia =
=20
=20
* Email: Mai...@netspace.net.au

" Any woman can keep a secret if she is given enough Chloroform "
=20

Edward Stone

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

In <ehunt-ya02318000...@news3.bga.com> eh...@bga.com (Eric

Hunt) writes:

>In article <54i5sn$v...@ghostgum.hunterlink.net.au>,
>blac...@hunterlink.net.au (Norma Blackburn) wrote:
>
>> What is Vegemite!!! Everyone knows what Vegemite is, don't they?
>> Just kidding, Vegemite is an Australian spread, it's concentrated
yeast
>> extract. It's very dark brown (almost black), quite salty, and very
yummy. As

>Do Australians have the violent, visceral reaction to Peanut Butter
that
>Americans do to Vegemite? Many people have said that Americans have a
>unique affinity for Peanut Butter that is not shared by the rest of
the
>world.
>
>From your description, which pretty much matches all the others I've
heard
>of Vegemite, I have less trouble eating Vietnamese Fish Sauce than
that
>stuff. *smile*
>--
>Eric Hunt __ eh...@bga.com (preferred)
>Austin, TX \/ hu...@metrowerks.com
> http://www.realtime.net/~ehunt

Some Americans (and Texans) DO like Vegemite, and I'm one of them.

Barbara
Dallas, Texas

robinc

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

In article <32762789...@news.netspace.net.au>, mai...@netspace.net.au (Keith Holley) says:

>On 23 Oct 1996 04:58:05 GMT, rob...@oanet.com (robinc) wrote:
>
>>In article <326C49...@erols.com>, Mike Chevalier <che...@erols.com> =
>says:
>>>
>>>Can anybody tell me what Vegemite is? I've heard of it but never had it
>>>or found a recipe. MC
>>
>>Vegemite is a very salty yeast extract that Australians use to make them=
>=20
>>hypertensive. The British do the same thing with a product called =
>Marmite.
>>I believe it's made by lysing yeast with caustic soda and then =
>neutralizing=20
>>it with hydrochloric acid.
>
> Vegemite is made from beer lees and is mainly made up of yeast
>extract, very rich Vitamin B1, Riboflavin and Niacin. It has been
>made for a long time in Australia before the war by Kraft. Most
>Australian born children are brought up on Vegemite because of
>richness in Vitamin. It can be use in cooking mainly in soups or
>meat dishes (eg Stews and Casseroles etc) generally a teaspoon
>amount. Most Australian used it as spead in sandwiches (hence the
>famous Vegemite Sandswich) for children lunches as well as adults.
> =20
>Keith

What's its salt content?

Ty Fairchild

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

On 29 Oct 1996 03:52:51 -0600, ari...@taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva)
wrote, and I quote:

:In article <5547tm$h...@hermes.oanet.com>, robinc <rob...@oanet.com> wrote:
:
:>What's its salt content?
:
:
:Seriously high.

And that's only an estimate. ;-) But I seriously love the stuff and pay
the outrageously high price to buy it in the local "British" shops here
abouts. Family goes through a couple of jars/month. Mmmmmm yummy. :)

tf

Ty Fairchild

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

On 28 Oct 1996 23:47:11 -0600, ari...@taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva)
wrote, and I quote:

:In article <552b02$d...@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>,
:Edward Stone <d.m.g.@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
:
:>Some Americans (and Texans) DO like Vegemite, and I'm one of them.
:
:Here's another Texan who likes vegemite. Then again, I'm married to
^^^^^^^^^^^
:an Oz. Then again, I like poi.
^^^^^^
Ahh. That's explains Peter's "taronga.com" :) Great place.

:
:I like vinegar on my chips too (and have liked this since I was first
:introduced to it oh, 25 years ago or so).

Vinegar crisps are tasty also. I too, had my first vinegar on my chips
in Wales about .25 century ago. :)

tf

Richard Kerr

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

On 29 Oct 1996 03:52:51 -0600, ari...@taronga.com (Stephanie da
Silva) wrote

:In article <5547tm$h...@hermes.oanet.com>, robinc <rob...@oanet.com>
wrote:
:
:>What's its salt content?
:
:Seriously high.

I can't give it to you in grams per serve but I know that if you have
vegemite on toast you're getting less salt from the vegemite than you
are from the bread (my source, my sister-in-law, is a dietician), so
it can't be _that_ high.

--
Regards,

Richard Kerr
Information Technology Education Manager
Staff Development Unit, K07 Tel: 9351 5876
The University of Sydney Fax: 9351 4951
NSW 2006

Dan Masi

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Miche wrote:

> In article <326D97...@hub.ofthe.net>
> nat...@hub.ofthe.net writes:
>
> > BTW: If I am not mistaken vegemite is called marimite (sp?) in
> > the U.K.
>
> Vegemite and marmite are two different versions of the same thing,
> made by different companies.
>
> Generally, if you like one you hate the other.

And here I thought it was "Generally, if you like
one, you'll eat anything".

;-)

--
Dan Masi
Mentor Graphics Corp.

Richard Kerr

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

Miche wrote:

> In article <326D97...@hub.ofthe.net>
> nat...@hub.ofthe.net writes:
> > BTW: If I am not mistaken vegemite is called marimite (sp?) in the U.K.
>
> Vegemite and marmite are two different versions of the same thing, made
> by different companies.

I know Vegemite is a yeast extract. Isn't Marmite a beef extract?

> Generally, if you like one you hate the other.

Just as you say. Either you think Marmite is poxy or you have good
taste.

哇! 95 又暈到了~~~

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

Innocent Bystander

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

In article <326EAB...@qut.edu.au> Kat <k.g...@qut.edu.au> writes:

|Vegemite is an Australian product made from yeast extract. It tastes
|great "thinly" spread on buttered toast. It also gives a great zing to
|gravies. It's an acquired taste though, one that I was brought up on and
|if you've never tried it, you probably won't like it.
|
|Kat

Way back in the bad old days, when I was working my way through college
by cleaning bathrooms, and was frequently too broke to buy food, my Australian
cleaning partner would share her vegemite sandwiches (white bread,
thin smear of butter, thin smear of vegemite). They were wonderful.
I think vegemite tastes great, and it makes me think of my generous and
caring friend. Thanks for the reminder, I should give her a call.

--
ho...@sybase.com The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the
my opinions only. first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way

Miche

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

In article <327927...@perspolicy.usyd.edu.au>
Richard Kerr <R.K...@perspolicy.usyd.edu.au> writes:

> Miche wrote:
> >
> > In article <326D97...@hub.ofthe.net>
> > nat...@hub.ofthe.net writes:
> > > BTW: If I am not mistaken vegemite is called marimite (sp?) in the U.K.
> >
> > Vegemite and marmite are two different versions of the same thing, made
> > by different companies.
>
> I know Vegemite is a yeast extract. Isn't Marmite a beef extract?

No, it is also a yeast extract. Sanitarium (a health food company that
makes Marmite in NZ) has gone to great pains in the past to point out
that Marmite is vegetarian.

> > Generally, if you like one you hate the other.
>
> Just as you say. Either you think Marmite is poxy or you have good
> taste.

:)

Susan Murie

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

In article <1996Nov5.124817@cantva>, Lyndon Watson
<L.Wa...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> (Lyndon Watson) wrote:

> In article <327927...@perspolicy.usyd.edu.au>, Richard Kerr

> <R.K...@perspolicy.usyd.edu.au> writes:
> > I know Vegemite is a yeast extract. Isn't Marmite a beef extract?
>

> Again.... No, no, no, it isn't.

> Lyndon Watson L.Wa...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz

Is it possible that Marmite once did have beef extract in it? I recall my
in-laws saying something about it.

Susan

--
Susan K. Murie ++++ Photographer
http://www.xensei.com/users/susanm

Lyndon Watson

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Lin Nah

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Lyndon Watson (Lyndon Watson) (L.Wa...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz) wrote:
: In article <327927...@perspolicy.usyd.edu.au>, Richard Kerr

: <R.K...@perspolicy.usyd.edu.au> writes:
: > I know Vegemite is a yeast extract. Isn't Marmite a beef extract?
: Again.... No, no, no, it isn't.
Marmite and vegemite are both yeast extracts.
I think Bovril is the beef extract

Lin

Ian Diddams

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Richard Kerr <R.K...@perspolicy.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

>I know Vegemite is a yeast extract.
> Isn't Marmite a beef extract?

Nope... that's Bovril (amongst others). Marmite is akin to vegemite
- they both have there origins in beer lees.

Didds.
Devizes RFC.
Disclaimer : The opinions expressed are solely those of the author.
And are probably wrong anyway.

Richard Sherratt

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

ari...@taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva) wrote:

>In article <5547tm$h...@hermes.oanet.com>, robinc <rob...@oanet.com> wrote:
>
>>What's its salt content?
>

>Seriously high.

But a lot less high than it used to be. It seems that with the
awareness of the negative effect that salt can have on the heart,
people are using less salt and tastes are changing.

Regards,
Richard.

Dr Pepper

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

Vegemite is just another example of the non-sequiter
"British Chef" There are even some Brits that can't
stand the taste of it. It's actually quite popular in
the British Isles, though. You eat it like peanut butter.
Sorry, but my palette is not prepared for ir :-{

Dr Pepper
10 - 2 - 4
Good Anytime

John Whittington

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

John Whittington <j...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<01bbc89d$60bc6280$LocalHost@jmw>...
> The problem with Americans and Vegemite is that their eyes are bigger
than
> their taste buds!
> The correct way to eat Vegemite is spread VERY thinly on white bread
toast,
> preferably over Western Star butter. The toast should only be cooked to a
> light golden colour. It should also be cut diagonally [ into triangles]
> When issued to children it will prove the First Law of Newtonian Physics,
> that when dropped, it will ALWAYS land Vegemite side down.
>
> Eat and Enjoy
> John [ a happy little Vegemite]
> :)

John Whittington

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

Mark and Lara Alewine

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

"John Whittington" <j...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

Newton's First Law: An object will remain at rest or continue in
motion with constant velocity unless it experiences a net external
force.

Hmmm... How did Newton butter his toast???

Lara who will ponder this question all day as she studies for her
electrostatics exam. ;-)

Miche

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

In article <5653j9$6oo$1...@uhura.phoenix.net>

ale...@phoenix.net (Mark and Lara Alewine) writes:

> >When issued to children it will prove the First Law of Newtonian Physics,
> >that when dropped, it will ALWAYS land Vegemite side down.

> Newton's First Law: An object will remain at rest or continue in

> motion with constant velocity unless it experiences a net external
> force.
>
> Hmmm... How did Newton butter his toast???

Carefully, I imagine.

Brian Mailman

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

> In article <5653j9$6oo$1...@uhura.phoenix.net>
> ale...@phoenix.net (Mark and Lara Alewine) writes:
>
> When issued to children it will prove the First Law of Newtonian Physics,
>that when dropped, it will ALWAYS land Vegemite side down.

All right. So it's not a Vegemite joke. So sue me. But it coulda
been...

These two _alte kokers_ (very loosely translated as "good old boys
sitting around a cracker barrel) are discussing bread and butter. One
maintains that the slice always falls buttered side down. The other
says it never does.

So they butter a piece of bread, throw it up into the air, and it lands
... ... ... buttered side down.

"This proves nothing!" said the first one. "You just buttered the wrong
side."

B.

Valerie Stark

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

In article <3288C0...@hooked.net>,

Brian Mailman <bmai...@hooked.net> wrote:

>These two _alte kokers_ (very loosely translated as "good old boys
>sitting around a cracker barrel) are discussing bread and butter. One

Hmmm... my mom translates that as "old farts".

Val

Sue

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

In article <3288C0...@hooked.net> Brian Mailman <bmai...@hooked.net> writes:

>> In article <5653j9$6oo$1...@uhura.phoenix.net>
>> ale...@phoenix.net (Mark and Lara Alewine) writes:
>>
>> When issued to children it will prove the First Law of Newtonian Physics,
>>that when dropped, it will ALWAYS land Vegemite side down.

>All right. So it's not a Vegemite joke. So sue me. But it coulda
>been...

>These two _alte kokers_ (very loosely translated as "good old boys

>sitting around a cracker barrel) are discussing bread and butter. One

>maintains that the slice always falls buttered side down. The other
>says it never does.

>So they butter a piece of bread, throw it up into the air, and it lands
>... ... ... buttered side down.

>"This proves nothing!" said the first one. "You just buttered the wrong
>side."

I understand someone got an IgNoble Prize for doing research in this
field. Unfortunately, I don't have the URL for it directly, but if anyone's
interested I remember how I got there.

Just ask :>

Arthur A. Simon, Jr.

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

British chef? That's more of an oxymoron. While I won't
directly the dietary taste of those of the UK (I mean,
anyone who can come up with haggis and neat's foot can't
be too far off the mark), but no one I know goes to the
UK for the cooking...

British beer, Yes. Scotch Whisky and Irish Whiskey, sure!
But the cooking?

Art
--
"Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy."

- Robt. A. Heinlein

Mary f(pud) and Bernie

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

Arthur A. Simon, Jr. wrote:

> British chef? That's more of an oxymoron. While I won't
> directly the dietary taste of those of the UK (I mean,
> anyone who can come up with haggis and neat's foot can't
> be too far off the mark), but no one I know goes to the
> UK for the cooking...
>
> British beer, Yes. Scotch Whisky and Irish Whiskey, sure!
> But the cooking?
>
> Art
> --
> "Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy."

for shame Art! I had fabulous meals when I was there (okay it was
20 years ago :-)). But Marigolds (no longer there I'm told) was very
elegant and ecletic. Stones was fabulous, the Dorchester grand, and darned
if I can remember the place we went in SOHO after the theatre for some
stupendous fish :-). Not to mention the indian restaurants. And we
had great food at the Cliff hotel (um...was that in the cotswolds?, shoot
I don't remember!) And frankly, I loved the ploughman's lunch at a local
pub where I shot darts with our tour guide and a few locals on lunch break
and WON! :-) (but they were probably just being nice to an american teenager :-)).

--
Mary f. (hey...cut that out...these are jeans, not a tree trunk,
although, Bernie does call them sticks!)
|,4- -,_. , ( `'-'
'-~~''(_/~~' `-'\_)
It's a widdle,widdle, widdle pud (Keeping one eye open, I refuse to
have her mistake me for a turkey at Thanksgiving! Road Kill Indeed!)
http://home.earthlink.net/~maryf

Mary f(pud) and Bernie

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

Stephanie da Silva wrote:

> In article <3284ee14...@news.ridgecrest.ca.us>,

> Dr Pepper <ches...@ridgecrest.ca.us> wrote:
>
> >Vegemite is just another example of the non-sequiter
> >"British Chef" There are even some Brits that can't
> >stand the taste of it. It's actually quite popular in
> >the British Isles, though. You eat it like peanut butter.
>
> No you don't.

Hey, I acutally saw Marmite in my little safeway the other day, cracked
me up. Almost bought it for Dan M.
--
Mary f. (who actually likes the salty stuff, and like peanut butter, it
is good with celery sticks :-). )

_ _
( \ / )
|\ ) ) _,,,/ (,,_
/@ .-'`~ ~-. ;-;;,_
|,4- -,_. , ( `'-'
'-~~''(_/~~' `-'\_)

It's a widdle,widdle, widdle pud (yeah, but you also eat smoked oysters in
bed, not that I mind, but that big guy who hogs the other side of the bed does :-).)
http://home.earthlink.net/~maryf

Dan Masi

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

In article <5665ne$t...@bonkers.taronga.com>, ari...@taronga.com
(Stephanie da Silva) writes:
>In article <3284ee14...@news.ridgecrest.ca.us>,
>Dr Pepper <ches...@ridgecrest.ca.us> wrote:
>
>>Vegemite is just another example of the non-sequiter
>>"British Chef" There are even some Brits that can't
>>stand the taste of it. It's actually quite popular in
>>the British Isles, though. You eat it like peanut butter.
>
>No you don't.

Yes, you do.

What, you don't enjoy a good Fluffermiter now and then?

Miche

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

ches...@ridgecrest.ca.us (Dr Pepper) writes:

> Vegemite is just another example of the non-sequiter
> "British Chef" There are even some Brits that can't
> stand the taste of it. It's actually quite popular in
> the British Isles, though. You eat it like peanut butter.

> Sorry, but my palette is not prepared for ir :-{

Actually it's *Marmite* that's common in the British Isles. Vegemite
is an Australian analogue that's quite hard to find in Britain.

Valerie Stark

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

In article <56b08f$m...@sdl.warren.mentorg.com>,

Dan Masi <da...@warren.mentorg.com> wrote:
>In article <5665ne$t...@bonkers.taronga.com>, ari...@taronga.com
>(Stephanie da Silva) writes:
>>In article <3284ee14...@news.ridgecrest.ca.us>,
>>Dr Pepper <ches...@ridgecrest.ca.us> wrote:
>>
>>>Vegemite is just another example of the non-sequiter
>>>"British Chef" There are even some Brits that can't
>>>stand the taste of it. It's actually quite popular in
>>>the British Isles, though. You eat it like peanut butter.
>>
>>No you don't.
>
>Yes, you do.
>
>What, you don't enjoy a good Fluffermiter now and then?
>
>--

Feeling ok, Dan?

Val, suspecting an impersonation....

sue

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:21:33 UNDEFINED, s...@interport.net (Sue) wrote:

>In article <3288C0...@hooked.net> Brian Mailman <bmai...@hooked.net> writes:
>
>>> In article <5653j9$6oo$1...@uhura.phoenix.net>
>>> ale...@phoenix.net (Mark and Lara Alewine) writes:

snipped jokes

>>All right. So it's not a Vegemite joke. So sue me. But it coulda
>

>>So they butter a piece of bread, throw it up into the air, and it lands
>>... ... ... buttered side down.
>
>>"This proves nothing!" said the first one. "You just buttered the wrong
>>side."
>
>I understand someone got an IgNoble Prize for doing research in this
>field. Unfortunately, I don't have the URL for it directly, but if anyone's
>interested I remember how I got there.

Question!!

If you butter a slice of bread and tie it butter side up, to the back
of a cat, and throw him out of a second story window, what would
happen?

Sue, slinking off to make sure no one tries it with her cats!
Sue
-----
I cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food!

sarah

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

. You eat it like peanut butter.

Vegimite, like many wonderful things, is wonderful in moderation. Put a
thin shmeer of it on buttered toast, or on the english muffing you're
going to turn into a fried egg sandwich (with or without the ham and
cheese). Then you'll start to get the idea. Probably the only people
who eat it like the stereotypic American eats peanut butter must also
substitute salt for sugar in their baked goods -- an eccentricity that I
suspect would carry weight whatever land mass you're on.

>British chef? That's more of an oxymoron. While I won't
>directly the dietary taste of those of the UK (I mean,
>anyone who can come up with haggis and neat's foot can't
>be too far off the mark), but no one I know goes to the
>UK for the cooking...

Enough with the brit bashing. The most heavenly stuffing I ever had came
out of the Penguin cookbook. Yes, I had "sprouts" boiled to the
consistencey of strawberries when I was there, but the american macaroni
salad I've smelled and politely declined at other people's houses was
just as vile. And I'd rather have the pork roast with baked parsnips and
fresh thyme dressing I was once served for Sunday lunch in Derby than the
peanut butter and honey on wonder bread a friend's mother once "assumed
I'd love."
Sarah

Dan Masi

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Mark and Lara Alewine wrote:

> Newton's First Law: An object will remain at rest or continue in
> motion with constant velocity unless it experiences a net external
> force.
>
> Hmmm... How did Newton butter his toast???

He never did. He would wait for Leibniz to butter *his* toast,
then steal the buttered toast along with the credit for having
buttered it.

> Lara who will ponder this question all day as she studies for her
> electrostatics exam. ;-)

Maxwell learned that he could just charge his toast positively,
and his butter negatively, and the toast would then butter itself.
And when that didn't work, he used his silver hammer...

Lauretta Nagel

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Newton's Law of Gravitation stated that the toast falls;
*Murphy's* Laws and Corollaries state which side will land
bottom-most.

Geez, the stuff they teach in kid's schools these days.:)

In article <568lei$q...@celebrian.otago.ac.nz>, michelle...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Miche) writes:

|> > Newton's First Law: An object will remain at rest or continue in
|> > motion with constant velocity unless it experiences a net external
|> > force.
|> >
|> > Hmmm... How did Newton butter his toast???
|>

|> Carefully, I imagine.

|> Miche
|>

|> ------------
|> Michelle Campbell <*>
|> michelle...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz
|> What I post is my opinion only.
|> In order to achieve balance, first you need two sides.

--
Lauretta M. Nagel
na...@stsci.edu

also Alto I with the Baltimore Symphony Chorus

Sue Rykmans

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

>>In article <3284ee14...@news.ridgecrest.ca.us>,
>>Dr Pepper <ches...@ridgecrest.ca.us> wrote:
>>
>>>Vegemite is just another example of the non-sequiter
>>>"British Chef" There are even some Brits that can't
>>>stand the taste of it. It's actually quite popular in
>>>the British Isles, though. You eat it like peanut butter.

I don't know WHERE you got your information on Vegemite my friend, but
I can assure you, Vegemite is 100% AUSTRALIAN, not British. The
British eat another vegetable extract, similiar to Vegemite, called
"Marmite". I think it's vile, then again I'm Australian and have been
brought up on Vegemite!

Sue.
Posted by:

Sue Rykmans
Sydney, Australia
E-mail: su...@sydney.net

Valerie Stark

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

In article <328CDE44...@warren.mentorg.com>,

Dan Masi <da...@warren.mentorg.com> wrote:
>Mark and Lara Alewine wrote:
>
>> Newton's First Law: An object will remain at rest or continue in
>> motion with constant velocity unless it experiences a net external
>> force.
>>
>> Hmmm... How did Newton butter his toast???
>
>He never did. He would wait for Leibniz to butter *his* toast,
>then steal the buttered toast along with the credit for having
>buttered it.

No, he let Schrodinger put it in a box. Then it didn't matter.

Val

Richard Sherratt

Nov 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/17/96

" Mary f(pud) and Bernie" <ma...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Arthur A. Simon, Jr. wrote:
>>

>> British chef? That's more of an oxymoron. While I won't
>> directly the dietary taste of those of the UK (I mean,
>> anyone who can come up with haggis and neat's foot can't
>> be too far off the mark), but no one I know goes to the
>> UK for the cooking...
>>

>> British beer, Yes. Scotch Whisky and Irish Whiskey, sure!
>> But the cooking?
>>
>> Art
>> --
>> "Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy."
>>

>for shame Art! I had fabulous meals when I was there (okay it was
>20 years ago :-)). But Marigolds (no longer there I'm told) was very
>elegant and ecletic. Stones was fabulous, the Dorchester grand, and darned
>if I can remember the place we went in SOHO after the theatre for some
>stupendous fish :-).

Manzies? My parents took us to a restaurant with a name something like
that last time we were visiting from Oz. It was very good.

Regards,
Richard

Leslie Paul Davies

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

: Hmmm... How did Newton butter his toast???

[With considerable gravity]

GL

--
Paul W2SYF/4 Ft Lauderdale
"Heisenberg may have slept here... "

Chris Clarke

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

In article <vstarkE0...@netcom.com>, vst...@netcom.com (Valerie
Stark) wrote:

> In article <328CDE44...@warren.mentorg.com>,
> Dan Masi <da...@warren.mentorg.com> wrote:
> >Mark and Lara Alewine wrote:
> >
> >> Newton's First Law: An object will remain at rest or continue in
> >> motion with constant velocity unless it experiences a net external
> >> force.
> >>

> >> Hmmm... How did Newton butter his toast???
> >

> >He never did. He would wait for Leibniz to butter *his* toast,
> >then steal the buttered toast along with the credit for having
> >buttered it.
>

> No, he let Schrodinger put it in a box. Then it didn't matter.

Actually, given what we know of the quantum nature of the universe, we're
forced to assume that all toast is already buttered. Toast always lands
butter side down. Toast with no buttered side would have, by definition,
no side to fall "toward." It would thus be a substance that had mass and
was, nonetheless, transparent to gravity. Unbuttered toast cannot,
therefore, exist, at least according to our present understanding of the
laws of physics.

I understand that there is a minority opinion which holds that dry toast
could in fact exist for a short period outside a gravity well, but that
proponents of this hypothesis have yet to find a proof that doesn't
involve division by zero. I haven't yet heard concrete confirmation of the
existence of a secret toaster on the failed Russian Mars probe, but I have
my suspicions.

What were we talking about again?

--
Chris Clarke
Editor

Mary f(pud) and Bernie

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

Valerie Stark wrote:

> In article <328CDE44...@warren.mentorg.com>,
> Dan Masi <da...@warren.mentorg.com> wrote:
> >Mark and Lara Alewine wrote:
> >
> >> Newton's First Law: An object will remain at rest or continue in
> >> motion with constant velocity unless it experiences a net external
> >> force.
> >>
> >> Hmmm... How did Newton butter his toast???
> >
> >He never did. He would wait for Leibniz to butter *his* toast,
> >then steal the buttered toast along with the credit for having
> >buttered it.
>
> No, he let Schrodinger put it in a box. Then it didn't matter.
>
> Val

Bernie wanted to know what would happen if you put it on a cats
back? would pud still land on her feet? Trust me, he'll never
get the chance to try! :-)

--
Mary f. (hey...cut that out...these are jeans, not a tree trunk,
although, Bernie does call them sticks!)

_ _
( \ / )
|\ ) ) _,,,/ (,,_
/@ .-'`~ ~-. ;-;;,_
|,4- -,_. , ( `'-'
'-~~''(_/~~' `-'\_)

rae spence

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

Vegemite is not British, it's Australian and we love it.
Spread it on hot thick buttered toast, yum, or fresh bread sandwiches with
chopped walnuts.

Jaliya Jayawardena

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 20:21:55 -0800, " Mary f(pud) and Bernie"
<ma...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Bernie wanted to know what would happen if you put it [buttered toast] on a cats

>back? would pud still land on her feet? Trust me, he'll never
>get the chance to try! :-)

Someone proposed a whole overhead monorail system for Chicago
on cats with toast - buttered side up - stuck to their backs.(Asimov?)

Jaliya

Dan Masi

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Valerie Stark wrote:

> In article <328CDE44...@warren.mentorg.com>,
> Dan Masi <da...@warren.mentorg.com> wrote:
> >Mark and Lara Alewine wrote:
> >
> >> Newton's First Law: An object will remain at rest or continue in
> >> motion with constant velocity unless it experiences a net external
> >> force.
> >>
> >> Hmmm... How did Newton butter his toast???
> >
> >He never did. He would wait for Leibniz to butter *his* toast,
> >then steal the buttered toast along with the credit for having
> >buttered it.
>
> No, he let Schrodinger put it in a box. Then it didn't matter.

Ahhhh. True... because it was both buttered and unbuttered.
But then, one could ask the question, "if the buttered bread
were strapped to the back of Schrodinger's cat, butter-side up,
and they were both dropped from a height, would the cat land
on its feet, or would the buttered side land first?" No
one has come up with a satisfactory answer. Einstein hedged,
and said "Well, it depends upon ones frame of reference...".
Galileo claimed that the question made no sense, as it was actually
the Earth which was smashing into the breaded/buttered feline.
Newton said nothing, as he was waiting to hear what Leibniz would
say. And Heisenberg said "In all honesty, I'm just not sure".

Richard Yates

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Sue Rykmans wrote:

> E-mail: su...@sydney.net

Whatever is peanut butter? I suppose the oil is pressed from the nuts
and then "hydrogenated" in acid to give a sort of margarine. I bet it
doesn't taste like proper butter, though.

Richard.
~~~~~~~~
--
The Open University is not responsible for content herein, which may
be incorrect and is used at readers own risk.

Pat Caruthers

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In article <32950F...@open.ac.uk>, Richard Yates <r.j....@open.ac.uk> writes:

|> Whatever is peanut butter? I suppose the oil is pressed from the nuts
|> and then "hydrogenated" in acid to give a sort of margarine.

Ugh!
that goodness you suppose incorrectly! that is *not* peanut butter.

peanut butter is roasted peanuts ground to a paste.
it is similar to tahini or other nut pastes in texture.

Commerical brands often have some other oils and junk
added to it, but the real thing is just roasted peanut paste.

pat

Carolina Rodriguez

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In article <32950F...@open.ac.uk>,

Richard Yates <r.j....@open.ac.uk> wrote:

>Whatever is peanut butter? I suppose the oil is pressed from the nuts
>and then "hydrogenated" in acid to give a sort of margarine. I bet it
>doesn't taste like proper butter, though.

Peanut butter is peanut paste.

It's made primarily from ground up peanuts. Commercial brands use oils
and stabilizers to make it smooth. "Natural" brands are made with just
peanuts, sometimes salt and it tends to separate, leaving peanut oil on
top.

It's wonderful
-Carolina

Mike & Lizette Sullivan

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:26:25 -0800, Richard Yates
<r.j....@open.ac.uk> wrote:
>> E-mail: su...@sydney.net
>
>Whatever is peanut butter? I suppose the oil is pressed from the nuts
>and then "hydrogenated" in acid to give a sort of margarine. I bet it
>doesn't taste like proper butter, though.

I think that peanut butter and tahini are made by the same
process...nuts crushed to a paste in their own oil.

Mike Sullivan
ml...@net-connect.net

OH just thought of something...I remember hearing that peanut butter
was invented (or at least popularized) by George Washington Carver, a
black inventor in America. Can anyone confirm, deny, or modify this?

Hervey

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

> Whatever is peanut butter? I suppose the oil is pressed from the nuts
> and then "hydrogenated" in acid to give a sort of margarine. I bet it
> doesn't taste like proper butter, though.

Ideally, peanut butter is simply ground peanuts, though commercial brands
have additives to make it smoother and to keep the oil from separating. I
used to work at a health food store that had a peanut grinder and an
almond grinder. Tastee stuff, though not cheap. Check around where you
live and maybe you'll find one.

Shaun

J. Edward Bernard

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

her...@cris.com (Hervey) wrote:

>Ideally, peanut butter is simply ground peanuts, though commercial brands
>have additives to make it smoother and to keep the oil from separating. I
>used to work at a health food store that had a peanut grinder and an
>almond grinder. Tastee stuff, though not cheap. Check around where you
>live and maybe you'll find one.

>Shaun

Anyone ever make peanut butter at home with the food processor ? I'd
be interested in hearing of your experiences (Kraft is expensive, but
oh so indispensable :-) )

Eddie

Bill Gibson

Nov 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/23/96

Its quite easy to make peanut butter at home with a processor or blender.
Its a project I'd do just for fun as its rather labor intensive and you
can get equally good peanut butter at a health food store. Also, some
supermarkets make it up in the store: just peanuts and perhaps a little
salt.

BTW, along the same line you can roast your own coffee beans at home with
a hot air popcorn popper. Once more, labor intensive, but fun to try.

Bill

Richard Sherratt

Nov 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/23/96

j...@cae.ca (J. Edward Bernard) wrote:

>Anyone ever make peanut butter at home with the food processor ? I'd
>be interested in hearing of your experiences (Kraft is expensive, but
>oh so indispensable :-) )

Yup. I was forced into this a few months ago during the Great
Australian Peanut Butter Drought. Someone, sorry - I forget who,
suggested it on this ng.

I used 250gm of dry roasted peanuts in a food processor. A few pulses
to get it going and then longer bursts as the peanuts start to break
up. You may need to add a little oil if the resultant paste is too
dry. But be careful. It looks like the stuff is never going to get to
a paste like consistency until suddenly is changes very quickly. The
first time I did this I added a tsp of oil because the paste looked
too dry. It ended up being a bit too oily.

It tasted great, but I don't know that it was cheaper than Kraft.

Regards,
Richard.

Mary f(pud) and Bernie

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

Miche wrote:

> In article <3295e197....@news.net-connect.net>

> ml...@net-connect.net (Mike & Lizette Sullivan) writes:
>
> > OH just thought of something...I remember hearing that peanut butter
> > was invented (or at least popularized) by George Washington Carver, a
> > black inventor in America. Can anyone confirm, deny, or modify this?
>
> It's true.
>
> Miche

Yes, as a history major, unless all the books and teacher's are lying ( :-) ),
George Washington Carver did invent peanut butter, I think he did a couple
of other peanut things (except for Snoopy of course :-) ).

--
Mary f. (running for cover on that note :-))

_ _
( \ / )
|\ ) ) _,,,/ (,,_
/@ .-'`~ ~-. ;-;;,_
|,4- -,_. , ( `'-'
'-~~''(_/~~' `-'\_)

It's a widdle,widdle, widdle pud (4 more days, I just have to survive 4 more
days, the problem is the turkey weighs 17 pounds more than I do! And mom doesn't
have a big enough roaster :-\. HIDE ME quick!!!)
http://home.earthlink.net/~maryf

Miche

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <3295e197....@news.net-connect.net>
ml...@net-connect.net (Mike & Lizette Sullivan) writes:

> OH just thought of something...I remember hearing that peanut butter
> was invented (or at least popularized) by George Washington Carver, a
> black inventor in America. Can anyone confirm, deny, or modify this?

It's true.

Miche

Tara Banfield

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <329949...@earthlink.net>, ma...@earthlink.net says...

>Miche wrote:
>>
>> In article <3295e197....@news.net-connect.net>
>> ml...@net-connect.net (Mike & Lizette Sullivan) writes:
>>
>> > OH just thought of something...I remember hearing that peanut butter
>> > was invented (or at least popularized) by George Washington Carver, a
>> > black inventor in America. Can anyone confirm, deny, or modify this?
>>
>> It's true.
>>
>> Miche
>
>Yes, as a history major, unless all the books and teacher's are lying ( :-)
),
>George Washington Carver did invent peanut butter, I think he did a couple
>of other peanut things (except for Snoopy of course :-) ).
>
>--
>Mary f. (running for cover on that note :-))

:)

I remember reading that Carver had managed to obtain fifteen whole minutes to
speak before a group of (no doubt) white men; businessmen, possibly, and that
he managed to hold them spellbound for two hours with descriptions of his
peanut-based inventions. I think that must have been one phenomenal guy.

-Tara

Mary Elizabeth

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Mary f(pud) and Bernie wrote:

> Miche wrote:
> >
> > In article <3295e197....@news.net-connect.net>
> > ml...@net-connect.net (Mike & Lizette Sullivan) writes:
> >
> > > OH just thought of something...I remember hearing that peanut butter
> > > was invented (or at least popularized) by George Washington Carver, a
> > > black inventor in America. Can anyone confirm, deny, or modify this?
> >
> > It's true.
> >
> > Miche
>
> Yes, as a history major, unless all the books and teacher's are lying ( :-) ),
> George Washington Carver did invent peanut butter, I think he did a couple
> of other peanut things (except for Snoopy of course :-) ).

More like a couple hundred other peanut things. He was THE reason the
South recovered from having depended on cotton. He also did a lot with
sweet potatoes. If I remember right, one of the many things he came up
with from peanuts was...synthetic marble.

MEB

J. Edward Bernard

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

amb...@ozemail.com.au (Richard Sherratt) wrote:

>j...@cae.ca (J. Edward Bernard) wrote:

>>Anyone ever make peanut butter at home with the food processor ?

>I used 250gm of dry roasted peanuts in a food processor. A few pulses

>to get it going and then longer bursts as the peanuts start to break
>up. You may need to add a little oil if the resultant paste is too
>dry. But be careful. It looks like the stuff is never going to get to
>a paste like consistency until suddenly is changes very quickly. The
>first time I did this I added a tsp of oil because the paste looked
>too dry. It ended up being a bit too oily.

>It tasted great, but I don't know that it was cheaper than Kraft.

Sounds good. Sounds like something I need to do during that 'long
dark tea time of the soul' on Sunday afternoons. Now for the
mandatory dumb question: What kind of oil does one pour in: peanut
oil ?

26 days to the first day of summer for you, and 26 days to the first
day of winter for me. 26 1/2 days in Newfoundland (Sorry, Canadian
inside joke. I couldn't resist).

Have a good day !

Eddie

do...@drskn.com

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

In article <E1FzM...@eskimo.com>, ter...@eskimo.com (Tara Banfield) wrote:

> ),
> >George Washington Carver did invent peanut butter, I think he did a couple
> >of other peanut things (except for Snoopy of course :-) ).
> >

> >--
> >Mary f. (running for cover on that note :-))
>
> :)
>
> I remember reading that Carver had managed to obtain fifteen whole minutes to
> speak before a group of (no doubt) white men; businessmen, possibly, and that
> he managed to hold them spellbound for two hours with descriptions of his
> peanut-based inventions. I think that must have been one phenomenal guy.
>
> -Tara

I remember being totally puzzled as a kid as to why we were learning
this -- big whoop, so he created 50 0r 100 or whatever uses for the
peanut! I assumed he was in my 1950s history books for this great
act because he was black and they were looking for a token sop to a
black inventor. It wasn't till much later that I learned how important
his contributions really were because peanut plants put back into the
soil the nitrogen that cotton takes out -- this was essential to the
continuing agricultural power of the south. Somehow this vital fact
passed me by.

Of course I was equally puzzled about why a guy who invented a way to
make gin out of cotton would get so much play in the history books --

Richard Sherratt

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

j...@cae.ca (J. Edward Bernard) wrote:

>amb...@ozemail.com.au (Richard Sherratt) wrote:
>
>>j...@cae.ca (J. Edward Bernard) wrote:
>
>>>Anyone ever make peanut butter at home with the food processor ?
>
>>I used 250gm of dry roasted peanuts in a food processor. A few pulses
>>to get it going and then longer bursts as the peanuts start to break
>>up. You may need to add a little oil if the resultant paste is too
>>dry. But be careful. It looks like the stuff is never going to get to
>>a paste like consistency until suddenly is changes very quickly. The
>>first time I did this I added a tsp of oil because the paste looked
>>too dry. It ended up being a bit too oily.
>
>>It tasted great, but I don't know that it was cheaper than Kraft.
>
>Sounds good. Sounds like something I need to do during that 'long
>dark tea time of the soul' on Sunday afternoons. Now for the
>mandatory dumb question: What kind of oil does one pour in: peanut
>oil ?

That's the stuff. But drip, don't pour :-)

>26 days to the first day of summer for you, and 26 days to the first
>day of winter for me. 26 1/2 days in Newfoundland (Sorry, Canadian
>inside joke. I couldn't resist).

eh? Is that a Newfie joke?

It may not be summer yet, but it's warming up. 32C a couple of days
ago in Melbourne. Over 40 in Alice Springs. Tee Hee :-)

Regards,
Richard.

sf

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Every now and then, you realize that learning can take place in school if you
just take a little break from goofing off. <G>
``````````````````````````````````````````````

J. Edward Bernard

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

>>j...@cae.ca (J. Edward Bernard) wrote:
>>26 days to the first day of summer for you, and 26 days to the first
>>day of winter for me. 26 1/2 days in Newfoundland (Sorry, Canadian
>>inside joke. I couldn't resist).

amb...@ozemail.com.au (Richard Sherratt) wrote:

>eh? Is that a Newfie joke?

>It may not be summer yet, but it's warming up. 32C a couple of days
>ago in Melbourne. Over 40 in Alice Springs. Tee Hee :-)

>Regards,
>Richard.

Sort of. It has to do with our timezones. Whenever you hear a
television program being announced nation-wide in Canada, the anouncer
will say (for instance: hockey game):

"Toronto Maple Leafs take on Montreal at the Gardens tonight. 7:00pm
atlantic, 8:00pm eastern, 9:00pm on the prairies, 10:00pm in
Vancouver, and 7:30 in Newfoundland." Newfoundland doesn't fit into a
regular time-zone, so they just push the clock one half-hour
beforehand.

Have a good day from rainy Montreal. I hear we're getting bl**dy snow
flurries this afternoon.

Eddie

J. Edward Bernard

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

j...@cae.ca (J. Edward Bernard) wrote:
>"Toronto Maple Leafs take on Montreal at the Gardens tonight. 7:00pm
>atlantic, 8:00pm eastern, 9:00pm on the prairies, 10:00pm in
>Vancouver, and 7:30 in Newfoundland." Newfoundland doesn't fit into a
>regular time-zone, so they just push the clock one half-hour
>beforehand.

Oooops. That should read 6:30 Newfoundland. No flames please, apart
from the cooking type.

Lin Nah

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Pat Caruthers (pat...@mainemoose.esd.sgi.com) wrote:
: Richard Yates <r.j....@open.ac.uk> writes:

: |> Whatever is peanut butter? I suppose the oil is pressed from the nuts

: |> and then "hydrogenated" in acid to give a sort of margarine.

: peanut butter is roasted peanuts ground to a paste.

: it is similar to tahini or other nut pastes in texture.

Yup in Auckland a few years ago (Not sure if it is still available
as I don't buy peanut butter) there were supermarkets with a machine that
lets you make your own peanut butter. They are like grinding your own
coffee.

you buy the peanuts from the bulk bins (discount - no label stuff like
nuts, flour etc) and pour them into this machine that will grind them
to paste. all you need to do is put a jar at the bottom to collect
the paste that comes out. you can pick smooth to chunky texture.

With coffee you buy the roasted beans and put that into the coffee grinder.
it will grind it for plunger or filter cones etc.

I know the coffee stuff is still around. Just don't remember if
the peanut butter grinder is around.
(for NZers this was found at Woolworths

regards
Lin

: Commerical brands often have some other oils and junk

: added to it, but the real thing is just roasted peanut paste.

: pat

--
Lin Nah
MSIS Department email: l....@auckland.ac.nz
Private Bag 92019 phone: (+64 9) 373 7599 ext 8537
Auckland, New Zealand fax: (+64 9) 373 7430