Quebec-style "BBQ" sauce (St Hugert or Chalet versions)

SaPeIsMa

Nov 28, 2009, 11:52:52 AM11/28/09
In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and the St
Hubert BBQ chain.

I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

The St Hubert sauce can be bought in ready-mix packets.
But I would like to learn to make my own from scratch

Steve Pope

Nov 28, 2009, 2:05:30 PM11/28/09
SaPeIsMa <SaPe...@HotMail.com> wrote:

>I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
>It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
>since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
>They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

Are they in the direction of a gravy?

Steve

__ Stu __

Nov 28, 2009, 6:24:48 PM11/28/09
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:05:30 +0000 (UTC), spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope)
wrote:

-->SaPeIsMa <SaPe...@HotMail.com> wrote:
-->
-->>I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
-->>It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
-->>since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
-->>They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce
-->
-->Are they in the direction of a gravy?
-->
-->Steve

Velout� sauce

If you'd like a poutine sauce where you have a little more control over what
comes out, here's a basic sauce which you can use as a base. While you could
use it for a poutine sauce as described, you should at least add salt and
pepper to taste.

1 quart stock: chicken or veal
2 ounces flour
2 ounces butter or oil
Bring the stock to a boil in a saucepan.

Combine the fat and flour, cook over high heat, stirring until you have a pale
roux (2-3 minutes).

Whip the roux into the stock. Simmer (30-40 min), skimming the surface every
5-10 minutes. Strain the sauce through a chinois or strainer lined with
cheesecloth. Salt and pepper to taste.

The above is the recipe for the Velout� sauce, which is the base for the
poutine sauce. To make it into a poutine sauce, reduce it by a factor of 2-4
over medium heat. You can also try one of the following modifications:

Modifications :

Add 2 Tsp of pepper to the roux before adding to the stock, for an
extra-peppery sauce. Floor-sweeping pepper (the kind sold pre-ground, in bulk)
is preferred by classicists.
Add 2 Tsp of fresh ground green peppercorns to the stock while reducing.
Prior to adding the stock, dice 1 small sweet onion into the saucepan, add 2
TBsps of balsamic vinegar, and reduce.

Enjoy

SaPeIsMa

Nov 28, 2009, 7:04:24 PM11/28/09

"Steve Pope" <spo...@speedymail.org> wrote in message

I have no idea what you mean by that
But I do know that the sauce is made separate from the process of roasting
the chicken

SaPeIsMa

Nov 28, 2009, 7:07:05 PM11/28/09

"__ Stu __" <f...@foodforu.ca> wrote in message

> -->SaPeIsMa <SaPe...@HotMail.com> wrote:
>
> I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces

> It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces

> since they do NOT use a tomato base for them

> They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

Thanks
I will try this and compare when I use up my last packets of St Hubert BBQ
sauce, that I bought on my last trip to Montreal

I was hoping to come up with a dry mix where you only need to add water and
bring to a boil.
But I guess that's for later.

jt august

Nov 28, 2009, 9:16:13 PM11/28/09
In article <OIidnexlU_oLy4zW...@posted.cpinternet>,
"SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@HotMail.com> wrote:

> In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
> Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and the St
> Hubert BBQ chain.
>
> I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
> It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
> since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
> They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

OK, I got curious, so I did some google hunting, and found the St.
Huberts web site with menus. From their menu:

Ribs
Generously basted with you choice
of sauce:

The ST-HUBERT
SPICY TOMATO FLAVOUR

The SOUTHWEST
SMOKEY CARAMEL FLAVOUR

So, from my Missouri perspective, I am no only confused but intrigued.
Can you tell me which of these sauces you are pursuing and perhaps a
little more on the sauce itself?

jt

Michel Boucher

Nov 29, 2009, 10:10:22 AM11/29/09
jt august <star...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

>> In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
>> Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and
>> the St Hubert BBQ chain.

Swiss Chalet / Chalet suisse is not a Montr�al restaurant. The first Swiss
Chalet was located on the corner of Bloor and Bedford in Toronto and opened
its doors in 1954. They have branches all over Eastern Canada but they are
a poor cousin to St-Hubert in terms of market penetration.

Les rotisseries St-Hubert grew out of a single restaurant in Montr�al which
was located, no surprise there, on rue St-Hubert and which opened its doors
on 1951-09-25. When we drove in to Montr�al we would hear their goofy
radio ad which promoted their home delivery and went thus:

Drindrindrin Que d�sirez-vous?
Poutpoutpout St-Hubert Barbecue

(Don't try translating this without an adult present)

Ah, the advantage of having lived through interesting times ;-)

It is principally a Qu�bec firm (with branches in Ontario and New Brunswick
where francophones live). It is now directed by the Groupe St-Hubert that
also oversees the production of their line of food products which are sold
in grocery stores. St-Hubert is a success story in the chain restaurant
world.

St-Hubert sauce is available in cans in most Qu�bec grocery stores.

--

�Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.�

-John Stuart Mill

Dave Smith

Nov 29, 2009, 10:45:20 AM11/29/09
Michel Boucher wrote:

> It is principally a Qu�bec firm (with branches in Ontario and New Brunswick
> where francophones live). It is now directed by the Groupe St-Hubert that
> also oversees the production of their line of food products which are sold
> in grocery stores. St-Hubert is a success story in the chain restaurant
> world.
>
> St-Hubert sauce is available in cans in most Qu�bec grocery stores.

There was a St.Hubert outlet in St.Catharines for a short time. I was
sad to see that it closed down in less than a year. I always thought
their chicken was great.

bbdimples

Dec 1, 2009, 3:47:43 PM12/1/09
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:07:05 -0600, "SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@HotMail.com>
wrote:

You'll find just what you're looking for here:

https://www.grocerycheckout.com/default.aspx?CategoryID=1197

bbdimples

SaPeIsMa

Dec 11, 2009, 10:33:49 AM12/11/09

"jt august" <star...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Neither
The above seem to be recent additions since they started doing BBQ ribs
When I first encountered St Hubert, they were doing chickent ONLY

The St Hubert BBQ sauce is a light brown, nearly translucent
If memory serves, there should not be even a hint of tomato in it.

I found this
http://www.st-hubert.com/EN/Home
The images rotate to one with chicken, fries,coleslaw, bun and the sauce
in a white styrofoam container. That is their standard/traditional roast
chicken dish.
http://www.st-hubert.com/pasth.com/en/details/st-hubert/frame_st-hubert.shtml
(The first 2 are the ones that interest me)

More info in St Hubert
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St-Hubert

SaPeIsMa

Dec 11, 2009, 2:46:54 PM12/11/09

"Michel Boucher" <Alsa...@g.mail.com> wrote in message

> jt august <star...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
>
>>> In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
>>> Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and
>>> the St Hubert BBQ chain.
>
> Swiss Chalet / Chalet suisse is not a Montr�al restaurant. The first
> Swiss
> Chalet was located on the corner of Bloor and Bedford in Toronto and
> opened
> its doors in 1954. They have branches all over Eastern Canada but they
> are
> a poor cousin to St-Hubert in terms of market penetration.

But I'm not talking about the Swiss Chalet Chain.
I'm talking about a restaurant called Chalet BBQ which has nothing to do
with Swiss Chalet.
http://www.chaletbbq.com/

> Les rotisseries St-Hubert grew out of a single restaurant in Montr�al
> which
> was located, no surprise there, on rue St-Hubert and which opened its
> doors
> on 1951-09-25. When we drove in to Montr�al we would hear their goofy
> radio ad which promoted their home delivery and went thus:
>
> Drindrindrin Que d�sirez-vous?
> Poutpoutpout St-Hubert Barbecue
>
> (Don't try translating this without an adult present)

It's
Ring, Ring Ring, What do you desire
Cluck, Cluck, Cluck, St Hubert BBQ
It works in French because the Onomatopeia are part of the French vocabulary
of Quebec.
Although it's quite possible that those ads created the onomatopeia 50
odd years ago..
:-))

> Ah, the advantage of having lived through interesting times ;-)
>
> It is principally a Qu�bec firm (with branches in Ontario and New
> Brunswick
> where francophones live). It is now directed by the Groupe St-Hubert that
> also oversees the production of their line of food products which are sold
> in grocery stores. St-Hubert is a success story in the chain restaurant
> world.
>
> St-Hubert sauce is available in cans in most Qu�bec grocery stores.

Trouble is that I'm more than 1200 miles (as the crow flies) from Quebec
My supply of powdered sauce is running out, and I would like to see if
someone has come up with a recipe for it.
(Reverse engineering a recipe is not one of my skills.)

Michel Boucher

Dec 11, 2009, 6:10:28 PM12/11/09
"SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@HotMail.com> wrote in news:goydndmh-dRlP7
_WnZ2dnUV...@posted.cpinternet:

> But I'm not talking about the Swiss Chalet Chain.
> I'm talking about a restaurant called Chalet BBQ which has nothing to do
> with Swiss Chalet.
> http://www.chaletbbq.com/

Ok, not one I am familiar with, but then again I am not a roasted chicken
connoisseur.

Michel Boucher

Dec 11, 2009, 6:12:43 PM12/11/09

> It's
> Ring, Ring Ring, What do you desire
> Cluck, Cluck, Cluck, St Hubert BBQ
> It works in French because the Onomatopeia are part of the French
> vocabulary of Quebec.

Wow...something works in French because the words are in French? How is
that possible? :-)

SaPeIsMa

Dec 13, 2009, 8:10:20 PM12/13/09

> "SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@HotMail.com> wrote in news:goydndmh-dRlP7
> _WnZ2dnUV...@posted.cpinternet:
>
>> But I'm not talking about the Swiss Chalet Chain.
>> I'm talking about a restaurant called Chalet BBQ which has nothing to do
>> with Swiss Chalet.
>> http://www.chaletbbq.com/
>
> Ok, not one I am familiar with, but then again I am not a roasted chicken
> connoisseur.

Well, if ever you go to Montreal, plan a pilgrimage.
And call ahead to find out how long the queue is.

SaPeIsMa

Dec 13, 2009, 8:12:46 PM12/13/09

> "SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@HotMail.com> wrote in
>
>> It's
>> Ring, Ring Ring, What do you desire
>> Cluck, Cluck, Cluck, St Hubert BBQ
>> It works in French because the Onomatopeia are part of the French
>> vocabulary of Quebec.
>
> Wow...something works in French because the words are in French? How is
> that possible? :-)

Are we being a tad sarcastic ?
-b

For people who speak multiple languages, it's fun to come across the
different onomatopeia used for the same sound.

Michel Boucher

Dec 14, 2009, 4:15:10 PM12/14/09
"SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@HotMail.com> wrote in news:6KWdnVV-
TIGkNLvWnZ2d...@posted.cpinternet:

>>> It's
>>> Ring, Ring Ring, What do you desire
>>> Cluck, Cluck, Cluck, St Hubert BBQ
>>> It works in French because the Onomatopeia are part of the French
>>> vocabulary of Quebec.
>>
>> Wow...something works in French because the words are in French? How is
>> that possible? :-)
>
> Are we being a tad sarcastic ?

What? It's not obvious?? :-)

> For people who speak multiple languages, it's fun to come across the
> different onomatopeia used for the same sound.

Fun...well, I have different ways of having fun...onomatopaieas are not one
of them, but hey, whatever floats yer boat.

Michel Boucher

Dec 14, 2009, 4:16:54 PM12/14/09

>>> But I'm not talking about the Swiss Chalet Chain.
>>> I'm talking about a restaurant called Chalet BBQ which has nothing
>>> to do with Swiss Chalet.
>>> http://www.chaletbbq.com/
>>
>> Ok, not one I am familiar with, but then again I am not a roasted
>> chicken connoisseur.
>>

> Well, if ever you go to Montreal, plan a pilgrimage.
> And call ahead to find out how long the queue is.

I got to Montr�al about four to six times a year but usually for family
functions. Not a lot of leeway to sample the local poultry palaces.
Saint-Hub' on the other hand has outlets here in the Outaouais.

SaPeIsMa

Dec 18, 2009, 11:06:00 PM12/18/09

> "SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@HotMail.com> wrote in

>>> Ok, not one I am familiar with, but then again I am not a roasted
>>> chicken connoisseur.
>>>

>> Well, if ever you go to Montreal, plan a pilgrimage.
>> And call ahead to find out how long the queue is.
>
> I got to Montr�al about four to six times a year but usually for family
> functions. Not a lot of leeway to sample the local poultry palaces.
> Saint-Hub' on the other hand has outlets here in the Outaouais.

Pilgrimages means taking the family too...
;-)

Michel Boucher

Dec 19, 2009, 8:36:50 AM12/19/09

>> I got to Montr�al about four to six times a year but usually for family
>> functions. Not a lot of leeway to sample the local poultry palaces.
>> Saint-Hub' on the other hand has outlets here in the Outaouais.
>
> Pilgrimages means taking the family too...;-)

No, you misunderstood. I have family there. When I go it is for a
function which is organized by uncles, aunts and cousins and, so far (and
by that I mean for the last 62 years), restaurant chicken has never been on
the menu.

And to use a time-honoured Montr�al complaint: C� bin loin, ��...faut
prendre le m�tro...

rayla...@gmail.com

May 31, 2017, 3:12:46 PM5/31/17
Au Coq in Anjou

h92...@yahoo.com

Dec 20, 2018, 4:46:23 AM12/20/18
That's a very stupid generalization. You must be a Lib_tard

jmcquown

Dec 21, 2018, 9:38:50 AM12/21/18
On 12/20/2018 4:46 AM, h92...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 7:10:22 AM UTC-8, Michel Boucher wrote:
>> jt august <star...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

<snipped a bunch of old crap>

> That's a very stupid generalization. You must be a Lib_tard

You're obviously a 'tard for replying to a post from 2009. ;)

Jill

wa wa

Sep 26, 2019, 2:32:44 PM9/26/19
On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 2:38:50 PM UTC, jmcquown wrote:
you quoted J Mill from 1993. :-)

A Moose in Love

Sep 26, 2019, 5:06:52 PM9/26/19
There are copy cat recipes online. Here we have Swiss Chalet which makes a really good sauce. St. Hubert opened up here in my city of Kitchener, but didn't make it. They had good food at a good price, but I think people here are loyal to Swiss Chalet.

Dave Smith

Sep 26, 2019, 5:19:23 PM9/26/19
There was one in a nearby city maybe 30 years ago but the company's
attempt to expand this way seems to have fizzled. It's too bad. It is
good stuff. I thought it was better than Swiss Chalet.

A Moose in Love

Sep 26, 2019, 5:54:32 PM9/26/19
We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

Dave Smith

Sep 26, 2019, 6:16:35 PM9/26/19
On 2019-09-26 5:54 p.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 5:19:23 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith

>> There was one in a nearby city maybe 30 years ago but the
>> company's attempt to expand this way seems to have fizzled. It's
>> too bad. It is good stuff. I thought it was better than Swiss
>> Chalet.
>
> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in
> Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't
> make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim
> Horton's.

The closest one to use was in the north end of Mississauga. It was
there about 20 years ago. Their store locator says there are three in
Toronto. For a short time they were selling packages of their donuts in
a couple local stores, but that was a brief experiment. Personally, I
don't like Krispy Kreme donuts. They are way too sweet.

dsi1

Sep 27, 2019, 3:23:28 AM9/27/19
On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 11:54:32 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:

> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui. If they was to open one on Oahu, then Hawaii would truly be a paradise. As it goes, when people go to Maui, they have to bring back to Oahu a box or boxes of Krispy Kreme.

Let me tell you, when the Hawaiian humidity hits the sugar glaze on those doughnuts, it immediately starts getting sticky. After a short while that beautiful glaze is a gooey mess. I find it rather unappealing. The only way to get a proper KK is to fly over to Maui and get one. If I was a disgustingly rich asshole, I'd fly over there right now.

Gary

Sep 30, 2019, 8:03:45 AM9/30/19
dsi1 wrote:

> The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui.

Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.

Gary

Sep 30, 2019, 8:04:04 AM9/30/19
A Moose in Love wrote:

> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

Just know that Krispy Kreme here in my area (several) do actually
make them theirselves. They make them each night in the late
night hours. I worked in one one weekend night (painting for
them). Not all stores make them but I know of 2 that do.

It was an interesting work night. I was told about and got to see
them made. It's all automated too - large room with machinery and
conveyor belts.

They they were making all glazed donuts while was there. They
dump in 50lb bags of flour, sugar and whatever they use into a
large vat then turn on the machine. It mixed up the dough, shapes
the donuts, fries them in oil, cools them somewhat (via large
belt) then sprays them with the glaze mix.

At the end of the belt, a couple of humans pick out and box the
good looking ones. The defects get tossed into a large trashcan
lined with a plastic garbage bag. Once full, those trash bags are
tossed into their dumpster and a local pig farmer has a contract
to come and get them to feed to his animals.

While we worked there, we were welcome to eat as much defective
ones as we wanted to (only defect was not perfectly round). Well,
although tasty, eat too much and you soon feel like you never
want to see another damn donut EVER! lol

Same thing happened to me that summer of 1971 when I worked at a
KFC. Was told I could eat all the chicken I wanted to while I was
on the clock working. A dream come true but after about a week or
two, I never ate any more. Never even went to a KFC for a few
years after either.

Interesting too about Krispy Kreme is that the federal ATF comes
once a month to audit them. Since they buy so much sugar, they
want to make sure all that sugar was used for donuts and not some
siphoned off to make moonshine.

Gary

Sep 30, 2019, 8:04:21 AM9/30/19
A Moose in Love wrote:

> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
soft, almost like cotton candy.

A Moose in Love

Sep 30, 2019, 8:23:54 AM9/30/19
On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 8:04:04 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.
>
> Just know that Krispy Kreme here in my area (several) do actually
> make them theirselves. They make them each night in the late
> night hours. I worked in one one weekend night (painting for
> them). Not all stores make them but I know of 2 that do.

I meant 'they didn't make it' meaning that the business flopped. Went under. Kaput.

Dave Smith

Sep 30, 2019, 10:27:52 AM9/30/19
On 2019-09-30 8:04 a.m., Gary wrote:

> Interesting too about Krispy Kreme is that the federal ATF comes
> once a month to audit them. Since they buy so much sugar, they
> want to make sure all that sugar was used for donuts and not some
> siphoned off to make moonshine.

It is interesting to see trends changing. Back in the late 60s and early
70s there were a number of donut shop chains that started up and were
making a wide variety of donuts at each location. Tim Hortons was like
that. There were a few where one fanchisee had two or more stores close
to each other and one would make all the donuts and deliver them to the
others. Some stores made better products that others. Now they are all
made at one large facility and par cooked and frozen for delivery to
stores where they would be baked. They are a poor substitute for the
real thing.

A Moose in Love

Sep 30, 2019, 10:53:08 AM9/30/19
I still get home made donuts once in a while. They are wonderful, and simple. Topped with only some cinnamon sugar.

penm...@aol.com

Sep 30, 2019, 11:48:50 AM9/30/19

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2019, 12:21:04 PM9/30/19
On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 7:04:04 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Just know that Krispy Kreme here in my area (several) do actually
> make them theirselves. They make them each night in the late
> night hours. I worked in one one weekend night (painting for
> them). Not all stores make them but I know of 2 that do.

There was a Krispy Kreme donut bakery about 2 miles from my house. They had
been in that location for _years._ Yes, you could see the donuts going
around and around a conveyor belt to cool every so slightly before getting
their coat of glaze. If you wanted hot donuts and not the ones in the display
case the clerk would go back and get however many you ordered right off the
glazing line. They were just under the temperature to burn your mouth and
oh soooooo good!

Ten or fifteen years ago they decided to close this store because they weren't
'making money.' Yeah, sure. This facility shipped to all the grocery stores
and drive-thru markets. What they wanted to do was move into a super ginormous
shopping center area to sell even more donuts. But that new location does not
make donuts, they're shipped from one of their other bakeries.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2019, 12:25:45 PM9/30/19
I like crullers and KK makes those as well as about 2 dozen other varieties and
flavors of donuts. A cruller is denser though and really not the same. But
my all-time favorite donut is just a plain cake donut. No powdered sugar,
no cinnamon sugar, just plain please. I guess it's that nutmeg that draws me
in and the cakey texture.

penm...@aol.com

Sep 30, 2019, 1:36:17 PM9/30/19
I also prefer a cakey baked donut... Entenmanns has great devilsfood
donuts. My father spent 27 years driving a Dugan's Bakery truck until
they went out of business, we always had baked goods and especially
cakey donuts.

dsi1

Sep 30, 2019, 1:39:27 PM9/30/19
I have to wonder why you'd think how you think you know so much about this rock if you're thousands of miles away. I don't know a damn thing about where you live nor would I make comments or offer my analysis of your culture and business environment. That would be presumptuous.

I only report what the heck is going on this rock, as unlikely as it may seem. Going to Maui and bringing back Krispy Kreme is a thing over here. People will cart back large number of boxes of the stuff and sell it as fund-raisers for their clubs. I've never bought a box of imported KK but MANY Hawaiians have. I don't find an hours old KK doughnut to be that appealing.

OTOH, on my last trip to Maui, it was important that we visit this legendary temple to the gods of fat, carbs, and sugar. My guess is that the Kahului KK is a must see only for the locals. Visitors from the mainland would baulk at going to a doughnut shop during their Hawaiian vacation. That's a good thing. Don't come to Hawaii to visit no stinkin' doughnut shop! OTOH, I highly recommend Leonard's Bakery if you're on Oahu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ74T6qpuVQ

dsi1

Sep 30, 2019, 1:44:30 PM9/30/19
On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 11:54:32 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:

> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

My brother-in-law loves Tim Horton's. He thought it was a very bad thing that there were none on this rock. I thought he oversold the joint but I'm guessing that I'd like to have a cup of their coffee when I'm in California.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2019, 1:52:00 PM9/30/19
On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 12:36:17 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I also prefer a cakey baked donut... Entenmanns has great devilsfood
> donuts. My father spent 27 years driving a Dugan's Bakery truck until
> they went out of business, we always had baked goods and especially
> cakey donuts.

My grocery store stocks the Entenmanns donuts but have quit stocking the plain
cake donut which is just as well. They'd find their way into my shopping cart
every week if they did. Now they're stocking chocolate covered, powdered sugar,
and cinnamon sugar cake donuts, 4 each in a box.

dsi1

Sep 30, 2019, 1:52:35 PM9/30/19
On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 12:16:35 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> The closest one to use was in the north end of Mississauga. It was
> there about 20 years ago. Their store locator says there are three in
> Toronto. For a short time they were selling packages of their donuts in
> a couple local stores, but that was a brief experiment. Personally, I
> don't like Krispy Kreme donuts. They are way too sweet.

Website store locators are great. The 2 nearest ones are in Maui and in Daly City CA. The Krispy Kreme in Daly City is 2385.6 miles away. Both would require that I take a plane trip. If I was in Maui, I'd drop on by. If I was in Daly City, I'd have to be out of my mind to want to make a trip to a stinkin' doughnut shop. :)

Bruce

Sep 30, 2019, 3:23:03 PM9/30/19
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:04:36 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?

Bruce

Sep 30, 2019, 3:23:41 PM9/30/19
Wait, when dsi1 says that Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme, that means that
ALL Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. dsi1 doesn't do MANY, he only does
ALL.

Bruce

Sep 30, 2019, 3:26:24 PM9/30/19
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:25:41 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

Are you sure you like them? (just checking)

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Glazed Cruller
"Doughnut (wheat flour enriched (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron,
thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid and enzyme), water,
vegetable shortening (palm oil, fully and/or partially hydrogenated
soybean oil, and/or partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, cottonseed
oil, and/or soybean oil, mono and diglycerides and polyglycerol esters
and/or BHT and/or tocopherol and/or citric acid), sugar, soybean oil,
egg yolks, soy flour, natural and artificial flavor, whey, sodium acid
pyrophosphate, dextrose, sodium bicarbonate, salt, dried milk powder,
lecithin, sodium propionate (to maintain freshness), cellulose gum,
monoglycerides, propylene glcol monoesters), glaze (sugar, water, corn
starch, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, calcium sulfate and/or
calcium carbonate, agar, dextrose, natural and artificial flavors,
salt, disodium phosphate, locust bean gum and/or mono and
diglycerides)"

Bruce

Sep 30, 2019, 3:28:21 PM9/30/19
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 13:36:13 -0400, penm...@aol.com wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:25:41 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
><itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 10:48:50 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> A French creuller is much better than KK.
>>> https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_ylt=AwrJ7JZNI5JdtpUAXT9pCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?q=french%20cruller&s_it=searchtabs&v_t=loki-keyword#id=62&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fofbatteranddough.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F04%2FFrench-cruller-doughnut-recipe-8.jpg&action=close
>>>
>>I like crullers and KK makes those as well as about 2 dozen other varieties and
>>flavors of donuts. A cruller is denser though and really not the same. But
>>my all-time favorite donut is just a plain cake donut. No powdered sugar,
>>no cinnamon sugar, just plain please. I guess it's that nutmeg that draws me
>>in and the cakey texture.
>
>I also prefer a cakey baked donut... Entenmanns has great devilsfood
>donuts.

Are they really great? (just checking)

Entenmann's Donuts, Devil's Food Crumb
"Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening (Soybean,
Cottonseed), Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Malted Barley
Flour, Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin
(B2), Folic Acid], Water, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Dextrose, Egg
Yolks, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Egg Whites, Modified Food Starch
(Corn, Tapioca), Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Sodium Aluminum Phosphate), Salt, Glycerine, Wheat Starch, Corn Syrup,
Soy Flour, Nonfat Milk, Karaya Gum, Guar Gum, Tapioca Dextrin,
Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Xanthan
Gum, Mono- and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Molasses, Calcium
Carbonate, Calcium Sulfate, Artificial Color, Agar, Filberts, Carob
Bean Gum, Sodium Phosphate, Caramel Color. Contains Nuts"

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2019, 3:49:03 PM9/30/19
You're making my mouth water!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2019, 3:50:28 PM9/30/19
Pretty tasty after honky tonking or a very late movie.

Bruce

Sep 30, 2019, 3:53:19 PM9/30/19
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 12:48:59 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
Mine too. That balance between the calcium sulfate and the disodium
phosphate is very delicate!

Bruce

Sep 30, 2019, 3:54:51 PM9/30/19
I thought people smoked a cigarette after honky tonking.

dsi1

Sep 30, 2019, 4:20:24 PM9/30/19
You're obviously one of those ASD guys that has an inflexibility with words so I guess I can cut you some slack. When I say "Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme", I don't mean "all Hawaiians." What I mean is all Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme EXCEPT me. Hopefully, this will clarify my post. You certainly cannot say that I didn't try. Good luck! :)

Bruce

Sep 30, 2019, 4:24:53 PM9/30/19
All Hawaiians minus you. You definitely tried :)

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 30, 2019, 4:51:13 PM9/30/19
My grandmother made donuts and I think that is her recipe, almost
exactly. One difference, I think she used more Guar gum than Karaya gum
though.

Boron Elgar

Sep 30, 2019, 5:46:35 PM9/30/19
I prefer Punalu'u.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2019, 5:48:51 PM9/30/19
On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:54:51 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> I thought people smoked a cigarette after honky tonking.

That's after sex for those that smoke.

Hank Rogers

Sep 30, 2019, 5:59:40 PM9/30/19
Or as desert after eating a bag of those tiny krystal hamburgers!

Hank Rogers

Sep 30, 2019, 6:01:15 PM9/30/19
Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 12:50:25 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>>> What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?
>>>
>> Pretty tasty after honky tonking or a very late movie.
>
> I thought people smoked a cigarette after honky tonking.

So they can blow the smoke up your ass?

Dave Smith

Sep 30, 2019, 6:13:18 PM9/30/19
OJ:

Q: Do you smoke after sex?

A: I don't know. I never looked.

dsi1

Sep 30, 2019, 11:31:28 PM9/30/19
AKA, the Southernmost bakery in the US. I've never been there - perhaps one day, I will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdGaExyjN74

Gary

Oct 1, 2019, 11:05:09 AM10/1/19
Bruce wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
> >find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
> >and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
> >and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
> >white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
> >soft, almost like cotton candy.
>
> What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?

lol ;-D

How about a quick midnight run for "munchies" after an evening
of partying and smoking da weed?

I've only had them twice. Once that night working there and:

Once during the school year of 72-73. I was hitchhiking from
the Wash.DC area to VaBeach late one Friday night. Got a ride
from some fellow near Richmond (about 90 miles away or so).
He was going all the way to the Beach.

When we got to Norfolk, he took an exit off the highway and
explained how he always stops at the KK when making this
trip at night. Told me about them and how good they were.
So I took his word for it and we each bought a dozen, hot
off the machine. Best glazed donuts I ever had.

So I scarfed down 4 of them in a very short time. The 8 left
I saved for my girlfriend, her mom and 2 little brothers.

So anyway, once we got into VaBeach, he asked what exit do
I want off at. Told him "Rosemont Road." He said, "ME TOO."
As my destination was still on the way to where he was
headed, he just took a 2 block detour and dropped me off
right at gf's house (about 1:30am). Nice fellow.

Never knew his name, never saw him again but what he did
was definitly a "random act of kindness."

Gary

Oct 1, 2019, 11:06:32 AM10/1/19
dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:03:45 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui.
> >
> > Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
> > Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
> > island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.
>
> I have to wonder why you'd think how you think you know so much about this rock if you're thousands of miles away. I don't know a damn thing about where you live nor would I make comments or offer my analysis of your culture and business environment. That would be presumptuous.

If Hawaiians all like Krispy Kreme donuts, I find it very funny
that there is only ONE store in your entire state...and that one
on a different island, far far away. Don't you see the humor in
that? Sounds to me like very few Hawaiians like them.

> Don't come to Hawaii to visit no stinkin' doughnut shop!

No problem...there isn't any unless I visit Maui. :)

> OTOH, I highly recommend Leonard's Bakery if you're on Oahu.

Damn, and all this time I thought Leonard lived in Nevada.

Gary

Oct 1, 2019, 11:08:01 AM10/1/19
dsi1 wrote:

> If I was in Daly City, I'd have to be out of my mind to
> want to make a trip to a stinkin' doughnut shop. :)

Why wouldn't you if you love them? It's probably only just
down the street, no stinkin plane trip to Maui.

penm...@aol.com

Oct 1, 2019, 12:01:52 PM10/1/19
Ukeleles only eat the holes.

Boron Elgar

Oct 1, 2019, 12:12:23 PM10/1/19
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 20:31:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
That southern drive is terrific.

dsi1

Oct 1, 2019, 1:14:32 PM10/1/19
On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 5:06:32 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> If Hawaiians all like Krispy Kreme donuts, I find it very funny
> that there is only ONE store in your entire state...and that one
> on a different island, far far away. Don't you see the humor in
> that? Sounds to me like very few Hawaiians like them.

You already said this. It's still not true. Better luck next time. Bringing doughnuts on an airplane is just a thing we do. I don't do it because I'm not going to babysit no stinkin' box of doughnuts on no stinkin' plane ride. Although, if someone brought some to Kaneohe from Maui, I might force one or two down so as not to throw the ridiculousness of this custom back in some poor sap's face. Unlike yoose guys, I have respect other people's feelings.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/krispy-kreme-kahului

OTOH, my guess is that some people on the mainland believe the Hawaiians to be slaves to unhealthy foods. Is it true? Beats me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT1KD_EP2Cc

dsi1

Oct 1, 2019, 1:24:00 PM10/1/19
I shall have to do that. The last time I went from Kona to Hilo, I was a kid and it was in a VW bug and I had to go to the toilet early on. We didn't stop. That was a most memorable trip.

Hank Rogers

Oct 1, 2019, 2:28:19 PM10/1/19
Yoose only felch the holes Popeye!

Bruce

Oct 1, 2019, 4:08:30 PM10/1/19
On Tue, 01 Oct 2019 11:05:18 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> >One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
>> >find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
>> >and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
>> >and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
>> >white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
>> >soft, almost like cotton candy.
>>
>> What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?
>
>lol ;-D
>
>How about a quick midnight run for "munchies" after an evening
>of partying and smoking da weed?

I never smoke weed and the closest donut would be a half an hour drive
away over potholes, dodging kangaroos, without streetlights. So maybe
it's not for me.

<snip random act of kindness>

Frank Burger

Oct 2, 2019, 1:04:07 AM10/2/19
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:52:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:

> Website store locators are great. The 2 nearest ones are in Maui
> and in Daly City CA. The Krispy Kreme in Daly City is 2385.6
> miles away. Both would require that I take a plane trip.

Don't your people have daily gyosen or wasen service between
islands?

dsi1

Oct 2, 2019, 4:53:12 AM10/2/19
As it goes we don't got shit between the islands. We could have had big, beautiful, fast, superferrys moving us people but that was shut down faster than the Beatles playing on a London rooftop. My guess it's was the work of some commie bastards who want to control the Hawaiian people and keep them away from things that they love i.e., Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

https://mauiguide.com/hawaii-superferry/

Of course, if there was a Krispy Kreme on Oahu, nobody would care about no stinkin' superferry. It would have cost about $3 Million to build a stinkin' Krispy Kreme somewhere in my hometown. Instead, $170 Million was spent on 2 stinkin' boats that later went down the drain. Insane! Obviously, this is the work of some mainland capitalist pigs who want to finish the work that their capitalist pig forefathers started in 1893. This time, they want to steal what little joy that the Hawaiians had left: eating sweet sugary treats unfettered by space and/or time.

"Mainland mentality
A donut is a donut the world around, deep fat fried food with sugar on it...a no brainer, but Aloha is Hawaiian and you can tell these folks don't have it. Krispy Kreme on Oahu is never going to happen, you get day olds at Sam's or sweaty boxes on the side of the road. The employees could care less because they try to live on slave wages and no insurance, The management is ran from the mainland who could care less what the locals want. I and my clients enjoyed The Maui Bakeshop, Roy Stillwell's and Homemaid Bakery much more because they had great product and lots of Aloha.

Date of visit: January 2011
Value
Atmosphere
Service
Food
Ask Bongo12 about Krispy Kreme"

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60631-d819375-r122207657-Krispy_Kreme-Kahului_Maui_Hawaii.html#

Bruce

Oct 2, 2019, 5:05:13 AM10/2/19
On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 01:53:08 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
wrote:

>"Mainland mentality
>A donut is a donut the world around, deep fat fried food with sugar on it...a no brainer, but Aloha is Hawaiian and you can tell these folks don't have it. Krispy Kreme on Oahu is never going to happen, you get day olds at Sam's or sweaty boxes on the side of the road. The employees could care less because they try to live on slave wages and no insurance, The management is ran from the mainland who could care less what the locals want. I and my clients enjoyed The Maui Bakeshop, Roy Stillwell's and Homemaid Bakery much more because they had great product and lots of Aloha.
>
>Date of visit: January 2011
>Value
>Atmosphere
>Service
>Food
>Ask Bongo12 about Krispy Kreme"
>
>https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60631-d819375-r122207657-Krispy_Kreme-Kahului_Maui_Hawaii.html#

Maybe someone should compare American states: life expectancy versus
availability of donuts. There could be a negative correlation. And
then the same research, but only focused on policemen.

Leonard Blaisdell

Oct 3, 2019, 8:14:03 PM10/3/19
In article <234236c2-a581-4f78...@googlegroups.com>,
dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

> That's a good thing.
> Don't come to Hawaii to visit no stinkin' doughnut shop! OTOH, I highly
> recommend Leonard's Bakery if you're on Oahu.

Any bakery named after me has to be good. Also, Neal was a recent
ancestor. I have no idea of how Hawaiians view him, but if badly, I
disown the connection.

leo