Memories of Woolworths lunch counter.

Christine Dabney

Jun 21, 2010, 10:56:56 PM6/21/10
Heya all,

I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
lunch counter.

I only discovered it today, and I haven't been inside yet..I was
traveling back to my room here, and was going through the downtown
area.

However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
fond memories too.

Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

Christine
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 21, 2010, 11:03:52 PM6/21/10

"Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Lunch at the counter was a treat when we were kids. My mother would drag us
along for the weekly shopping trip and we'd stop for lunch at the counter.
Usually a hot dog or grilled cheese and I was fascinated by the big ceiling
fans. This was before AC was common and the fans gave a gentle breeze.

Fast forward about 40 years and my wife and I were in Webster, MA and there
was one of the last the Woolworths and lunch counter. We went in and had a
pretty decent hamburger on rye bread, fries and Coke for only a couple of
dollars. Kind of fun after many years. The store has since closed.

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 21, 2010, 11:08:57 PM6/21/10
On Mon 21 Jun 2010 07:56:56p, Christine Dabney told us...

Indeed, yes. As a child, especially, when my mother and I would go
downtown. We often had a grilled cheese or BLT with chips.
Sometimes a hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes, and then
there would be some cherry pie a la mode. Flavored Cokes, too, which
might be cherry, vanilla, or chocolate.

Wayne Boatwright

Christine Dabney

Jun 21, 2010, 11:15:28 PM6/21/10
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 03:08:57 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
<waynebo...@xgmail.com> wrote:

>Indeed, yes. As a child, especially, when my mother and I would go
>downtown.

Same here. We would occasionally stop in at the local Woolworths... I
know I had BLTs there.

We often had a grilled cheese or BLT with chips.
>Sometimes a hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes, and then
>there would be some cherry pie a la mode. Flavored Cokes, too, which
>might be cherry, vanilla, or chocolate.

Woolworths is where I learned to eat eggs on the runnier side. I
would get off from work in the morning, and I had to change buses
there on the same corner where Woolworths was located. I would stop
in almost every morning, and have breakfast there. I saw folks eating
great looking soft cooked eggs, and I tried them. I fell in love with
them.
And when I was near there at lunchtime, I would get a BLT. Or maybe
it was a club sandwich.

Christine
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 21, 2010, 11:36:22 PM6/21/10
On Mon 21 Jun 2010 08:15:28p, Christine Dabney told us...

I remember the club sandwiches. Sometimes my mother would have one,
but I never liked turkey so wouldn't order one. They sometimes had a
type of cheesecake that my mother would order. It had a very dry
texture that I didn't like then, but would love to know how make now.
I remember the Horlick's malt dispenser, and I loved their vanilla
malts with double malt. They also had a Bromo-Seltzer dispenser, but
I don't remember ever seeing any of the waitresses prepare a Bromo
for anyone.

Message has been deleted

Janet Wilder

Jun 22, 2010, 12:21:54 AM6/22/10

When I worked in downtown Newark, NJ in 1985 and 1986 I was across the
street from a Woolworth. Their chili dogs with mustard and raw onion
were a frequent lunch. Washed it down with a diet cola. Damn, they were
good. If I had one today, it would give me heartburn. Sigh.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

sf

Jun 22, 2010, 1:01:30 AM6/22/10
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:56:56 -0700, Christine Dabney
<arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

Of Woolworth's lunch counter? Not really. I ate there a few times,
but it was just a lunch counter. Nothing special or particularly
memorable.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Giusi

Jun 22, 2010, 3:26:08 AM6/22/10

"Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining>
> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a>
> lunch counter.

Mine was a Newberry's. They had great french fries, made from potatoes that
were peeled in a tub lined with rough stone. I thought that was an
incredible invention back then. The egg salad sandwiches were very nice.
They also made plate meals but I don't remember what they were, although I'm
sure meatloaf figured in there.

Kalmia

Jun 22, 2010, 8:12:33 AM6/22/10
On Jun 21, 10:56 pm, Christine Dabney <artis...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

Nice thread.

My aunt took me into a Kresge's for a bite. Old lady next to me
ordered 'cawfee and donuts' - yeah, in those days, you got two
donuts! Impressed the heck out of a 7 year old.

Anyhow, aunt ordered something and a glass of milk for me. I can see
her now, calling the waitress over, pointing to my glass and intoning
"There's LIPstick on that glass". and it was pretty visible. Waitress
in her pink nylon uniform, scowled and removed it.

Five and dime counters were strictly for a real quick burger -- 30
cents, IIRC.

A Moose In Love

Jun 22, 2010, 8:16:03 AM6/22/10
On Jun 21, 10:56 pm, Christine Dabney <artis...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
Yeah. When I was a kid, my dad'd take me there for chocolate milks
and banana splits.
Message has been deleted

George Leppla

Jun 22, 2010, 8:39:42 AM6/22/10

Sounds like fun. The big treat when we were kids was to go into "the
city" (Manhattan) and eat at the Horn and Hardart's Automat.
http://www.theautomat.net/ Mom would give us each some nickles and we
would be off. My favorite was the Macaroni and Cheese.

George L

Message has been deleted

Jean B.

Jun 22, 2010, 9:20:07 AM6/22/10

Oh, gee. I didn't think there were any Woolworth stores left, let
alone any with a lunch counter. Back when I was in my teens and
early 20s, I sometimes went to such a lunch counter in Harvard
Square (Cambridge, Massachusetts), where I particularly remember
eating hotdogs. They were cheap, and I was not rolling in
money--and I didn't know as much as I know now.

--
Jean B.

notbob

Jun 22, 2010, 9:53:18 AM6/22/10
On 2010-06-22, Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

Of course!

Kress, Woolworths, WT Grant.... they all had lunch counters back in
the day. My primary memory is Mom setting my brother and I down at
the counter for a grilled cheese sandwich and a Coke ....in the
classic glass... so lunch could babysit us while she shopped.

If times were good, we even got a bowl of Campbells tomato soup.
Remember the Campbells display/cooker where cans were prominently
displayed in a row and the soup was warmed in dedicated little metal
containers that plugged right into the front of the stainless steel
machine? King for a day was soup with one of those killer double
layer club sandwiches cut in four sections and held together with
frilly toothpicks.

The last one I ever saw had been converted from counter to a cafeteria
style setup where you chose foods from displays and took it to plastic
booth seating. Just not the same as watching those nice young ladies
in their starched waitress uniforms serving those manna-from-heaven
sandwiches made with toasted Wonder bread on plates heavy enough to
bludgeon a wild buffalo to death. Ahhh.... The good ol' days. ;)

nb

Nancy Young

Jun 22, 2010, 10:00:21 AM6/22/10
George Leppla wrote:
> On 6/21/2010 9:56 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:

>> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
>> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
>> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others
>> have fond memories too.
>>
>> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

> Sounds like fun. The big treat when we were kids was to go into "the

> city" (Manhattan) and eat at the Horn and Hardart's Automat.
> http://www.theautomat.net/ Mom would give us each some nickles and we
> would be off. My favorite was the Macaroni and Cheese.

My aunt would take me to H&H when I'd stay with her. She
lived in the Bronx but she'd take me into Manhattan to see the
sights.

Later, I worked in the Liberty Plaza building, a block over from
the World Trade Center. I'd have lunch at a counter service place
across the street once in a while, they had date nut/cream cheese
sandwiches that were to die for. I know that's not much of a lunch. Hey.
Refresh my memory, the place was named for the brand of
coffee? I forget. It was a chain, like H&H. Eight O'Clock?

Across the street on the other side was a Woolworth's. I ate at
the counter a few times, the most memorable part was how loudly
you could hear the subway pass while sitting there.

nancy

Tracy

Jun 22, 2010, 10:11:00 AM6/22/10

I worked at a Woolworths when I was in high school. It had had a
lunch counter but it was gone when I worked there (83-85).

I loved that store. Other than the store manager and one other high
school student, all the employees were over 65. They were hysterical
to work with.

I still remember the old man who came in every day and bought a box
of tissues and a package of cookies. The cookies were 2 for $1.00
sandwich cookies. Sometimes he got just plain vanilla, sometimes
chocolate and other times the duplex (one cookie vanilla, and one
chocolate). He also always wore a long trench coat, no matter the
weather and a hat.

We had a Slush Puppie machine and popcorn at the registers. We
didn't pop the corn, it came in giant bags which we dumped into the
popcorn machine to warm it up.

Loved that place.

I didn't think there were any more left.

Tracy

Pennyaline

Jun 22, 2010, 10:45:49 AM6/22/10
On 6/22/2010 08:00, Nancy Young wrote:

> My aunt would take me to H&H when I'd stay with her. She lived in the
> Bronx but she'd take me into Manhattan to see the
> sights.
> Later, I worked in the Liberty Plaza building, a block over from
> the World Trade Center. I'd have lunch at a counter service place
> across the street once in a while, they had date nut/cream cheese
> sandwiches that were to die for. I know that's not much of a lunch. Hey.
> Refresh my memory, the place was named for the brand of
> coffee? I forget. It was a chain, like H&H. Eight O'Clock?

Chock Full O Nuts?

When I was a kid, the lunch counters we loved were one at a dinky little
diner on our Main Street, the Woolworth's counter and the Rexall store
fountain. When I got a little older and a tiny bit more worldly, Mom and
I would go to the restaurant/diner of a more upscale department store
local to us -- swank as hell when you haven't seen very much else! We
were duly impressed.

The first place I took my daughter to eat out was the last Woolworth
extant in our area. She loved going there and I loved taking her, so I
would make a point of having to stop at Woolworth's for something
whenever we were out and we would run in for a bite. She always had
grilled cheese and milk, and I always had cheeseburger on rye (with big
caraway seeds.... oooooo, I'm about starving to death thinking about it
right now!) served with free refills of some of the best coffee around.
She and I got the biggest kick out of shopping and eating at
Woolworth's. She cried loudly when they closed that store.

George Leppla

Jun 22, 2010, 10:49:03 AM6/22/10
On 6/22/2010 9:00 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>> On 6/21/2010 9:56 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>>> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
>>> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
>>> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others
>>> have fond memories too.
>>>
>>> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?
>
>> Sounds like fun. The big treat when we were kids was to go into "the
>> city" (Manhattan) and eat at the Horn and Hardart's Automat.
>> http://www.theautomat.net/ Mom would give us each some nickles and we
>> would be off. My favorite was the Macaroni and Cheese.
>
> My aunt would take me to H&H when I'd stay with her. She lived in the
> Bronx but she'd take me into Manhattan to see the
> sights.
> Later, I worked in the Liberty Plaza building, a block over from
> the World Trade Center. I'd have lunch at a counter service place
> across the street once in a while, they had date nut/cream cheese
> sandwiches that were to die for. I know that's not much of a lunch. Hey.
> Refresh my memory, the place was named for the brand of
> coffee? I forget. It was a chain, like H&H. Eight O'Clock?

Chock Full 'o Nuts?

George L

Message has been deleted

Nancy Young

Jun 22, 2010, 10:53:20 AM6/22/10
Pennyaline wrote:
> On 6/22/2010 08:00, Nancy Young wrote:

>> sandwiches that were to die for. I know that's not much of a lunch.
>> Hey. Refresh my memory, the place was named for the brand of
>> coffee? I forget. It was a chain, like H&H. Eight O'Clock?
>

> Chock Full O Nuts?

Of course!! I could see the sign in my mind but not what
it said. Duh.

> When I was a kid, the lunch counters we loved were one at a dinky
> little diner on our Main Street, the Woolworth's counter and the
> Rexall store fountain. When I got a little older and a tiny bit more
> worldly, Mom and I would go to the restaurant/diner of a more upscale
> department store local to us -- swank as hell when you haven't seen
> very much else! We were duly impressed.

I'll say! My aunt would also take my family to restaurants, I guess
I never got over being impressed. I remember my first cheesecake
and my first popovers from those excursions.

> The first place I took my daughter to eat out was the last Woolworth
> extant in our area. She loved going there and I loved taking her, so I
> would make a point of having to stop at Woolworth's for something
> whenever we were out and we would run in for a bite. She always had
> grilled cheese and milk, and I always had cheeseburger on rye (with
> big caraway seeds.... oooooo, I'm about starving to death thinking
> about it right now!) served with free refills of some of the best
> coffee around. She and I got the biggest kick out of shopping and
> eating at Woolworth's. She cried loudly when they closed that store.

Awww. But just think that she'll always remember you taking her.
Those kind of memories are the best.

nancy

Message has been deleted

Kalmia

Jun 22, 2010, 11:20:53 AM6/22/10
On Jun 22, 10:11 am, Tracy <karac...@bc.edu> wrote:

> I still remember the old man who came in every day and bought a box
> of tissues and a package of cookies. The cookies were 2 for $1.00
> sandwich cookies. Sometimes he got just plain vanilla, sometimes
> chocolate and other times the duplex (one cookie vanilla, and one
> chocolate). He also always wore a long trench coat, no matter the
> weather and a hat.

That's probably ALL he had on.

Nancy Young

Jun 22, 2010, 11:22:32 AM6/22/10

So sad, I couldn't come up with the name. But I do see
that I got the o' right and Chock=Clock? (laugh) Once
I got the Eight O'Clock in my head there was no getting around
it.

nancy

Becca

Jun 22, 2010, 11:34:05 AM6/22/10
On 6/22/2010 10:13 AM, l, not -l wrote:
> Drugstores too. Back in the day (late '50s, early '60s) the major drug
> stores all had lunch counters too. Here (STL) the major drugstores were
> Rexall and Katz; Rexall had great burgers, fountain drinks and ice cream
> cones and sundaes. Katz had a wider variety of food, the standard fountain
> items; but, my favorite was limeade, made fresh all summer long and served
> in a tall glass you could keep for a small additional charge (5-10
> cents???). To this day, I still drink limeade in the hotest, muggiest part
> of summer (like now).
>
> Sadly, Rexall was run into the ground by a CEO who rapidly expanded the
> company until it imploded. Katz was bought out by Skaggs which was bought
> out by Walgreens.

When I was young I ate at Woolworths a couple of times, but my older
brother ordered for me. Woolworths disappeared by the time I was old
enough to remember anything. We enjoyed eating at drugstores. My
brother would order my food and some kind of "phosphate" to drink. I
could see her making it above the counter. Again, I was too young to
remember.

In the small southern town where I lived in, local diners were more
popular. They served chicken & dumplings, catfish, fried chicken,
boudin, gumbo, dirty rice, meatloaf, macaroni & cheese, pinto beans,
turnip greens, fried okra, just ol' fashioned home cooking.

Becca

Jean B.

Jun 22, 2010, 11:39:50 AM6/22/10
l, not -l wrote:

> On 21-Jun-2010, Janet Wilder <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> When I worked in downtown Newark, NJ in 1985 and 1986 I was across the
>> street from a Woolworth. Their chili dogs with mustard and raw onion
>> were a frequent lunch. Washed it down with a diet cola. Damn, they were
>> good. If I had one today, it would give me heartburn. Sigh.
>
> I too worked across the street from one, in downtown St. Louis, from 1974
> until 1982 when my office moved 4 blocks south. Even after the move, lunch
> at Woolworth was a regular treat until they closed their doors in '93-'94.
> The lunch counter was still doing a booming business as the shelves emptied
> of all merchandise. I don't recall; but, would not be surprised if the last
> operating cash drawer was at the lunch counter.
>
> Hot dogs were my favorite; I wish there were someplace here where I could
> buy those great New England-style hotdog buns. Grill-toasted on two sides,
> added a great layer of crunch to an already tasty dog. While I can get
> weiners and condiments that are as good or better, a dog is just not the
> same without those New England buns.

That is a problem. I want grilled buns.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 22, 2010, 11:42:48 AM6/22/10
l, not -l wrote:

> On 22-Jun-2010, Kalmia <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>
>> Five and dime counters were strictly for a real quick burger -- 30
>> cents, IIRC.
>
> Drugstores too. Back in the day (late '50s, early '60s) the major drug
> stores all had lunch counters too. Here (STL) the major drugstores were
> Rexall and Katz; Rexall had great burgers, fountain drinks and ice cream
> cones and sundaes. Katz had a wider variety of food, the standard fountain
> items; but, my favorite was limeade, made fresh all summer long and served
> in a tall glass you could keep for a small additional charge (5-10
> cents???). To this day, I still drink limeade in the hotest, muggiest part
> of summer (like now).
>
> Sadly, Rexall was run into the ground by a CEO who rapidly expanded the
> company until it imploded. Katz was bought out by Skaggs which was bought
> out by Walgreens.
>
> Fortunately, we still have a lunch counter in my community; it's a stand
> alone, maybe 20 seats (roughly half booth, half stools at the counter) and
> been in business since the 40s. You can get a plate lunch (open-face roast
> beef with mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans is a good choice) or
> sandwiches (good burgers, I like 'em with grilled onions). Breakfast on the
> cheap, the blueberry pancakes are locally renowned. Heck, there's even
> scrapple for the geezers who seem to love it.

Drugstores... The only root beer (or soft drink) I have ever
enjoyed was from a long-defunct drugstore. It had only 5 or so
seats at the counter.

--
Jean B.

Felice

Jun 22, 2010, 11:47:24 AM6/22/10

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> Sounds like fun. The big treat when we were kids was to go into "the
> city" (Manhattan) and eat at the Horn and Hardart's Automat.
> http://www.theautomat.net/ Mom would give us each some nickles and we
> would be off. My favorite was the Macaroni and Cheese.

Oh, George, thanks for the memories! Macaroni and cheese was my all-time
favorite at the Horn & Hardart we visited as a treat in New York.

Felice

Jean B.

Jun 22, 2010, 11:49:42 AM6/22/10
Back in the 60s, I think there was a Horn & Hardart near Jordan
Hall. Or maybe such machines in that building itself. This is a
very vague memory though.

--
Jean B.

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 22, 2010, 11:55:09 AM6/22/10
On Tue 22 Jun 2010 07:45:49a, Pennyaline told us...

> On 6/22/2010 08:00, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> My aunt would take me to H&H when I'd stay with her. She lived in
>> the Bronx but she'd take me into Manhattan to see the sights.
>> Later, I worked in the Liberty Plaza building, a block over from
>> the World Trade Center. I'd have lunch at a counter service place
>> across the street once in a while, they had date nut/cream cheese
>> sandwiches that were to die for. I know that's not much of a
>> lunch. Hey. Refresh my memory, the place was named for the brand
>> of coffee? I forget. It was a chain, like H&H. Eight O'Clock?
>

> Chock Full O Nuts?

BINGO!

> When I was a kid, the lunch counters we loved were one at a dinky
> little diner on our Main Street, the Woolworth's counter and the
> Rexall store fountain. When I got a little older and a tiny bit
> more worldly, Mom and I would go to the restaurant/diner of a more
> upscale department store local to us -- swank as hell when you
> haven't seen very much else! We were duly impressed.
>
> The first place I took my daughter to eat out was the last
> Woolworth extant in our area. She loved going there and I loved
> taking her, so I would make a point of having to stop at
> Woolworth's for something whenever we were out and we would run in
> for a bite. She always had grilled cheese and milk, and I always
> had cheeseburger on rye (with big caraway seeds.... oooooo, I'm
> about starving to death thinking about it right now!) served with
> free refills of some of the best coffee around. She and I got the
> biggest kick out of shopping and eating at Woolworth's. She cried
> loudly when they closed that store.

Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 22, 2010, 12:02:12 PM6/22/10
On Tue 22 Jun 2010 08:13:47a, l, not -l told us...

> On 22-Jun-2010, Kalmia <tween...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>

>> Five and dime counters were strictly for a real quick burger --
>> 30 cents, IIRC.
>

> Drugstores too. Back in the day (late '50s, early '60s) the major
> drug stores all had lunch counters too. Here (STL) the major
> drugstores were Rexall and Katz; Rexall had great burgers,
> fountain drinks and ice cream cones and sundaes. Katz had a wider
> variety of food, the standard fountain items; but, my favorite was
> limeade, made fresh all summer long and served in a tall glass you
> could keep for a small additional charge (5-10 cents???). To
> this day, I still drink limeade in the hotest, muggiest part of
> summer (like now).
>
> Sadly, Rexall was run into the ground by a CEO who rapidly
> expanded the company until it imploded. Katz was bought out by
> Skaggs which was bought out by Walgreens.
>
> Fortunately, we still have a lunch counter in my community; it's a
> stand alone, maybe 20 seats (roughly half booth, half stools at
> the counter) and been in business since the 40s. You can get a
> plate lunch (open-face roast beef with mashed potatoes, gravy and
> green beans is a good choice) or sandwiches (good burgers, I like
> 'em with grilled onions). Breakfast on the cheap, the blueberry
> pancakes are locally renowned. Heck, there's even scrapple for
> the geezers who seem to love it.

I fondly remember Katz drug stores, particularly the one in
Maplewood. (I think that was on Manchester.) Loved going to their
soda fountain. They made the best lime freezes and I never had less
than a tasty sandwich there regardless of kind. By standards of the
day, it was quite a large store. They had a great camera department,
and my dad bought me my first "developing kit" there.

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 22, 2010, 12:10:50 PM6/22/10
On Tue 22 Jun 2010 08:34:05a, Becca told us...

> On 6/22/2010 10:13 AM, l, not -l wrote:
>> Drugstores too. Back in the day (late '50s, early '60s) the
>> major drug stores all had lunch counters too. Here (STL) the
>> major drugstores were Rexall and Katz; Rexall had great burgers,
>> fountain drinks and ice cream cones and sundaes. Katz had a
>> wider variety of food, the standard fountain items; but, my
>> favorite was limeade, made fresh all summer long and served in a
>> tall glass you could keep for a small additional charge (5-10
>> cents???). To this day, I still drink limeade in the hotest,
>> muggiest part of summer (like now).
>>
>> Sadly, Rexall was run into the ground by a CEO who rapidly
>> expanded the company until it imploded. Katz was bought out by
>> Skaggs which was bought out by Walgreens.
>>

> When I was young I ate at Woolworths a couple of times, but my
> older brother ordered for me. Woolworths disappeared by the time I
> was old enough to remember anything. We enjoyed eating at
> drugstores. My brother would order my food and some kind of
> "phosphate" to drink. I could see her making it above the counter.
> Again, I was too young to remember.

There was a small drugstore with a very small sofa fountain near
where I lived when I was 4-5 years old. I would sometimes get to go
with the "older kids" (7-9 years old) and order something. I almost
always ordered a "cherry false face", thinking that was what a
phosphate was.

> In the small southern town where I lived in, local diners were
> more popular. They served chicken & dumplings, catfish, fried
> chicken, boudin, gumbo, dirty rice, meatloaf, macaroni & cheese,
> pinto beans, turnip greens, fried okra, just ol' fashioned home
> cooking.
>
> Becca

There were two competing drug stores in Tupelo, MS when I was a kid.
They both had great soda fountains and lunch counters. Among the
variety of items one could order was an "ammonia Coke", but only for
adults. It was a fountain coke to which was added about a tablespoon
of spirits of ammonia. A great "pick me up" for those pre-air
conditioned days. Back then in that area only the theaters and a few
stores were fully air conditioned. It was rare for a home to have
a/c.

gloria.p

Jun 22, 2010, 12:15:23 PM6/22/10
Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya all,
>
> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
> lunch counter.

> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter.
>

> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

More for the experience rather than the food. I used to go downtown
with my Aunt K Saturday mornings and lunch was either Salvati's Deli
or Woolworth's. Their BLT was perfect and their 25cent hot fudge
sundaes (with nuts, whipped cream and a cherry) were not too shabby, either.

gloria p

Steve Pope

Jun 22, 2010, 12:15:49 PM6/22/10
I fondly remember the Woolworth's lunch counter in the Market
Street / Union Square area of San Francisco. It was a special
treat to eat there. I don't really remember the food (it was
stuff like hot dogs, chili dogs), but they had an orange soda
pop that was excellent -- better than Fanta or whatever else
was available in grocery stores at the time. Thinking back,
they perhaps just used a higher than normal fraction of orange
soda syrup, but for me as a child it was wonderful.

Steve

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 22, 2010, 12:17:20 PM6/22/10
On Tue 22 Jun 2010 08:47:24a, Felice told us...

I loved going to Horn & Hardart's every time we visited New York. I
also remember the good mac and cheese, and their rice and bread
puddings were also a treat.

Zeppo

Jun 22, 2010, 12:17:59 PM6/22/10

> Memory of Woolworths...
>
> There was a corporate building on Broad Street and Market (?) in
> Philadelphia, PA that had a small Woolworths cafeteria, maybe 10 or 15
> seats long. No tables, just counter seating.
>
> Not only was it charming, it was historic, or it just looked that way to
> me.. A "step back in time" kind of place! It closed back in the mid
> 1990s. Must've been 50 or more years in place. It was a fun memory to
> have a meal there.
>
> I forget the building it was in but it was also famous and historic too!
> But then, what about Philadelphia isn't historic?
>
> Except me! ;)
>
> Andy

Don't remember the Market street Woolworth's having a lunch counter but
Maybe that was before my time. I do remember going to the Automat at Horn
and Hardart's at Broad and Chestnut streets, a block away and putting a
change into one of the hundreds of little vending windows and pulling out a
bowl of Mac-n-cheese or a plate of Ipswich (fried clams).

Jon

Tracy

Jun 22, 2010, 12:18:24 PM6/22/10

Ha!
But nope. He definitely had clothes on.

gloria.p

Jun 22, 2010, 12:21:46 PM6/22/10
Nancy Young wrote:

> Later, I worked in the Liberty Plaza building, a block over from
> the World Trade Center. I'd have lunch at a counter service place
> across the street once in a while, they had date nut/cream cheese
> sandwiches that were to die for. I know that's not much of a lunch. Hey.
> Refresh my memory, the place was named for the brand of
> coffee? I forget. It was a chain, like H&H. Eight O'Clock?

Chock Full O'Nuts.

gloria p

Lou Decruss

Jun 22, 2010, 1:27:26 PM6/22/10
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:53:18 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>On 2010-06-22, Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?
>
>Of course!
>
>Kress, Woolworths, WT Grant.... they all had lunch counters back in
>the day.

I forgot about Kress and WT Grant. I thought I remembered Walgreens
having counters before they changed them to Wag's so I looked.

Looks like they started in 1910 and continued till the 80's

http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/about/history/hist3.jsp

IGA grocery stores also had counters. At least in the 70's.

Googling for Walgreens I found this unrelated Walgreen restaurant menu
from 1939. Great prices!

http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org/exhibits/walgreens.htm

Lou

Message has been deleted

spamtrap1888

Jun 22, 2010, 2:36:38 PM6/22/10
On Jun 22, 8:13 am, "l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> On 22-Jun-2010, Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>
> > Five and dime counters were strictly for a real quick burger -- 30
> > cents, IIRC.
>
> Drugstores too.  Back in the day (late '50s, early '60s) the major drug
> stores all had lunch counters too.  Here (STL) the major drugstores were
> Rexall and Katz; Rexall had great burgers, fountain drinks and ice cream
> cones and sundaes.  Katz had a wider variety of food, the standard fountain
> items; but, my favorite was limeade, made fresh all summer long and served
> in a tall glass you could keep for a small additional charge (5-10
> cents???).   To this day, I still drink limeade in the hotest, muggiest part
> of summer (like now).
>
> Sadly, Rexall was run into the ground by a CEO who rapidly expanded the
> company until it imploded.   Katz was bought out by Skaggs which was bought
> out by Walgreens.

Rexall was not a chain, but a buyers' co-op like True Value Hardware.
Each store was independently owned; they banded together to be able to
buy nationally branded products and benefit from nationwide promotion.
Rexall sponsored retwork radio shows such as Amos 'n' Andy and Phil
Harris-Alice Faye, keeping the brand fresh in consumers' minds: "Good
Health to All.... from Rexall!"

> Fortunately, we still have a lunch counter in my community; it's a stand
> alone, maybe 20 seats (roughly half booth, half stools at the counter) and
> been in business since the 40s.   You can get a plate lunch (open-face roast
> beef with mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans is a good choice) or
> sandwiches (good burgers, I like 'em with grilled onions).  Breakfast on the
> cheap, the blueberry pancakes are locally renowned.  Heck, there's even
> scrapple for the geezers who seem to love it.

The businessman's lunch and the Blue Plate Special.

spamtrap1888

Jun 22, 2010, 2:40:23 PM6/22/10
On Jun 22, 5:39 am, George Leppla <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

> On 6/21/2010 9:56 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
>

> > Heya all,
>
> > I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
> > Woolworths here in Bakersfield.  On the storefront, it says it has a
> > lunch counter.
>
> > I only discovered it today, and I haven't been inside yet..I was
> > traveling back to my room here, and was going through the downtown
> > area.
>
> > However, I will go inside.  I want to check out the lunch counter.  I
> > have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter.  And
> > judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
> > fond memories too.
>
> > Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?
>
> > Christine
> >http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

> Sounds like fun.  The big treat when we were kids was to go into "the
> city" (Manhattan) and eat at the Horn and Hardart's  Automat.http://www.theautomat.net/ Mom would give us each some nickles and we

> would be off.  My favorite was the Macaroni and Cheese.

I used to pass by a building in Chicago's South Loop every day with a
facade marked "Horn and Hardart." I guess they tried but failed to
make the Automat work in Chicago.

spamtrap1888

Jun 22, 2010, 2:43:43 PM6/22/10
On Jun 21, 7:56 pm, Christine Dabney <artis...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> However, I will go inside.  I want to check out the lunch counter.  I
> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter.  And
> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
> fond memories too.
>
> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

I remember kids sitting at the counter, shooting drinking straw
wrappers at each other. After the straw makers got smart and started
putting holes in the end of the wrappers, the kids would have to twist
the ends of the wrappers to be able to shoot them.

I think Woolworth's was where I had a frozen cherry Coke.

The thing I associate most with Woolworth's was the cheeping birds
they had for sale. Each Woolworth's sold pets.

Kalmia

Jun 22, 2010, 3:49:22 PM6/22/10

Don't forget the 49 cent Flame-glo lipsticks which lived under glass.
A clerk had to extract and show each one.

Mine also had goldfish, plus a FREE 45 player in the record section.
I can recall they had to take it away after some kid played "Stranded
in the Jungle" and "Maybelline" a few dozen times.

(Now, who sang THOSE, all you trivia experts?)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Food Snob®

Jun 22, 2010, 4:47:13 PM6/22/10
On Jun 22, 3:20 pm, "l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> On 22-Jun-2010, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwri...@xgmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I fondly remember Katz drug stores, particularly the one in
> > Maplewood.  (I think that was on Manchester.)  Loved going to their
> > soda fountain.  They made the best lime freezes and I never had less
> > than a tasty sandwich there regardless of kind.  By standards of the
> > day, it was quite a large store.  They had a great camera department,
> > and my dad bought me my first "developing kit" there.
>
> Yes, it was on Manchester, on a corner; I think the cross street was Sutton,
> which would have put it at the heart of Maplewood.  The streetcars would
> travel west on Manchester, turn south on Sutton to go a short distance to
> "the Sutton Loop" turn-around and head back into the city of St. Louis.
> Once the streetcars were gone, and still the practice, buses follow that
> same route.  It made Katz an ideal stop for the local resident on the way to
> or from work downtown and for the many people who lived along the route from
> Kingshighway to Maplewood.

It was at Manchester and Sutton. There was also a Bettendorf's
grocery, which became a K-Mart. Finally they demolished the store,
and the underground parking area, and Shop'n Save moved there. The
site of the old Shop'n Save (which was previously a Kroger) is now the
Schlafly Bottleworks. I was just at that SnS about an hour ago.
There's a Penzey's right across the street.

Concerning Woolworth's lunch counter, there is a display model of one
at the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, TN. Everyone should
visit that museum. The *International* Civil Rights Center and Museum
is in Greensboro, NC, also has a Woolworth's lunch counter
SEE: http://www.ohenryhotel.com/international_civil_rights_museum_greensboro.htm

The food was not any good at the one near us, in Crestwood Plaza, but
they did make real milkshakes.

--Bryan

Virginia Tadrzynski

Jun 22, 2010, 5:41:12 PM6/22/10

"Zeppo" <ze...@hotmail.org> wrote in message
My grandmother took me there (both the Woolworth's on Market and the H&H @
Broad and Chestnut) whenever my mother ventured north with me for a visit.
I always wondered how the little windows 'knew' what to replace. Maybe we
passed each other, clinging to the adult that took us into Center City.
-ginny

Food Snob®

Jun 22, 2010, 6:05:30 PM6/22/10
On Jun 22, 3:36 pm, "l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> On 22-Jun-2010, Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>
> > I  can recall they had to take it away after some kid played "Stranded
> > in the Jungle" and "Maybelline" a few dozen times.
>
> > (Now, who sang THOSE, all you trivia experts?)
>
> Maybelline was a big hit for a St. Louis fellow - Chuck Berry.   84 year old
> Chuck still plays a local venue on occasion, The Duck Room (named in his
> honor) at Blueberry Hill; the next appearance will be July 21.

The B-Side New York Dolls' cover of Stranded in the Jungle was called
"Who Are the Mystery Girls?" and is one of the greatest songs ever
released by anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-qgBB3DgNQ

--Bryan

Becca

Jun 22, 2010, 6:52:45 PM6/22/10
On 6/22/2010 11:10 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> When I was young I ate at Woolworths a couple of times, but my
>> older brother ordered for me. Woolworths disappeared by the time I
>> was old enough to remember anything. We enjoyed eating at
>> drugstores. My brother would order my food and some kind of
>> "phosphate" to drink. I could see her making it above the counter.
>> Again, I was too young to remember.
>>
> There was a small drugstore with a very small sofa fountain near
> where I lived when I was 4-5 years old. I would sometimes get to go
> with the "older kids" (7-9 years old) and order something. I almost
> always ordered a "cherry false face", thinking that was what a
> phosphate was.

Thanks for the laugh, Wayne. Now I will always remember "cherry false
face". I believe that is what I had also. Life was much simpler back
then. Oh gosh, now I'm sounding old. lol

Becca

Cheryl

Jun 22, 2010, 7:04:57 PM6/22/10
"Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Heya all,
>
> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
> lunch counter.
>
> I only discovered it today, and I haven't been inside yet..I was
> traveling back to my room here, and was going through the downtown
> area.
>
> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
> fond memories too.
>
> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

I have memories of the food counter being there but I don't remember eating
there. We had one in the only real shopping center in our town when I was a
kid and it was pretty much the only place to hang out when we got to the
driving age and had a car to get there.

As for the shopping center, I can remember just driving around and around
the parking lot with a car full of people to see who we could find.
Everyone was there of course. lol

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 22, 2010, 7:07:46 PM6/22/10

"Pennyaline" <norweg...@deadparrot.com> wrote

> Chock Full O Nuts?

Now know as rec.food.cooking

Cheryl

Jun 22, 2010, 7:14:49 PM6/22/10
"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

> Sounds like fun. The big treat when we were kids was to go into "the
> city" (Manhattan) and eat at the Horn and Hardart's Automat.
> http://www.theautomat.net/ Mom would give us each some nickles and we
> would be off. My favorite was the Macaroni and Cheese.

Another reference to Horn and Hardart's. Any relation to Horn and Horn?
That's the only Horn and anything I remember.

Omelet

Jun 22, 2010, 7:33:48 PM6/22/10
In article <18udnZUQk_Ci37zR...@giganews.com>,
"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net> wrote:

ROFL!!! Like a bowl of granola...

What ain't fruits or nuts is flakes? ;-)

JUST KIDDING!!!
--
Peace! Om

 Only Irish  coffee provides in a single glass all four  essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar  and fat. --Alex Levine

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 22, 2010, 8:18:52 PM6/22/10
On Tue 22 Jun 2010 03:52:45p, Becca told us...

I am old, and it was much simpler back then. I would not want to be
a kid today.

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 22, 2010, 8:29:42 PM6/22/10
On Tue 22 Jun 2010 01:20:30p, l, not -l told us...

> On 22-Jun-2010, Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@xgmail.com>

> wrote:
>
>> I fondly remember Katz drug stores, particularly the one in
>> Maplewood. (I think that was on Manchester.) Loved going to
>> their soda fountain. They made the best lime freezes and I never
>> had less than a tasty sandwich there regardless of kind. By
>> standards of the day, it was quite a large store. They had a
>> great camera department, and my dad bought me my first
>> "developing kit" there.
>
> Yes, it was on Manchester, on a corner; I think the cross street
> was Sutton, which would have put it at the heart of Maplewood.
> The streetcars would travel west on Manchester, turn south on
> Sutton to go a short distance to "the Sutton Loop" turn-around and
> head back into the city of St. Louis. Once the streetcars were
> gone, and still the practice, buses follow that same route. It
> made Katz an ideal stop for the local resident on the way to or
> from work downtown and for the many people who lived along the
> route from Kingshighway to Maplewood.

Yes, I think it was at Sutton, and I do remember the Sutton loop. In
1947 my parents owned a 4-family flat at 4608 Cleveland Avenue on the
other side of Kingshighway. In 1950 we moved to Maplewood on
Alameda. In 1955 we moved to Creve Coeur, where we lived until we
left Missouri. IIRC, there was a supermarket kitty corner across
from Katz drugstore. Somewhere in that area of Manchester there was
a tiny foot-long hot dog stand. They served great chili-dogs and the
red Vess cream soda.

Message has been deleted

David Harmon

Jun 22, 2010, 9:51:24 PM6/22/10
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:36:38 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking,
spamtrap1888 <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote,

>Rexall was not a chain, but a buyers' co-op like True Value Hardware.
>Each store was independently owned; they banded together to be able to
>buy nationally branded products and benefit from nationwide promotion.

Back in the days of over-the-counter drugs that really worked... like
the Rexall cold capsules with real atropine in them.

Food Snob®

Jun 22, 2010, 9:57:29 PM6/22/10
On Jun 22, 7:29 pm, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwri...@xgmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue 22 Jun 2010 01:20:30p, l, not -l told us...
>

> > On 22-Jun-2010, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwri...@xgmail.com>
Jeez. You lived in St. Louis too? My wife lived in Creve Coeur when
she was a little kid, and I've lived in Maplewood three different
places.

>                      Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan

Omelet

Jun 22, 2010, 10:12:26 PM6/22/10
In article <fbmdnTFNPdiW9LzR...@earthlink.com>,
David Harmon <sou...@netcom.com> wrote:

Nice point.

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 22, 2010, 10:40:04 PM6/22/10

"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

No relationship. Horn & Horn was Maryland based
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Coffee_Pot
Horn & Hardart was Philadelphia based.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_%26_Hardart

Horn & Hardart was a food services company of the USA noted for operating
the first food service automats in Philadelphia and New York City.

Philadelphia's Joseph Horn (1861-1941) and German-born, New Orleans-raised,
Frank Hardart opened their first restaurant together in Philadelphia on
December 22, 1888. The small (11 x 17 feet) lunchroom at 39 South Thirteenth
Street did not have any tables, only a counter with 15 stools.

By introducing New Orleans-style French-drip coffee, which Hardart promoted
as their "gilt-edge" brew, they made their tiny luncheonette a local
attraction. News of the coffee spread, and the business flourished. They
incorporated as the Horn & Hardart Baking Company during 1898.[1]

Jean B.

Jun 22, 2010, 10:44:27 PM6/22/10
l, not -l wrote:
> On 22-Jun-2010, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
>> Drugstores... The only root beer (or soft drink) I have ever
>> enjoyed was from a long-defunct drugstore. It had only 5 or so
>> seats at the counter.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.
>
> We still have a tiny place (8 stools) here (suburb of STL) that makes its
> own rootbeer - Carl's Drive-In. You can enjoy a burger, or dog, fries and a
> house-made rootbeer for a modest amount of money. But, with only 8 stools,
> you can't linger long; when you've finished your order, get up and get out
> so someone else can enjoy. 8-)

Oh! I am drooling! I wonder whether I will ever get to that area
again (and whether Carl's will still be in business).

--
Jean B.

projectile vomit chick

Jun 22, 2010, 10:48:49 PM6/22/10
On Jun 22, 6:07 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net> wrote:
> "Pennyaline" <norwegianb...@deadparrot.com> wrote

> > Chock Full O Nuts?
>
> Now know as rec.food.cooking

LOL

notbob

Jun 22, 2010, 11:53:44 PM6/22/10
On 2010-06-23, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <fbmdnTFNPdiW9LzR...@earthlink.com>,
> David Harmon <sou...@netcom.com> wrote:

>> Back in the days of over-the-counter drugs that really worked... like
>> the Rexall cold capsules with real atropine in them.
>
> Nice point.

Yes. Also, cough syrups that were more than mere pancake toppings.
There's only one thing that will kill that tickle-in-your-throat cough
that is so deadly during a cold dry Winter, and that's codeine.

nb

Stu

Jun 23, 2010, 12:12:07 AM6/23/10

My doctor used to prescribe a red liquid from the pharmacy for a
really bad cough. I found you could get it over the counter, but you
had to know what to ask for. It used to almost put me to sleep, and
did the cough disappear quick.

Food Snob®

Jun 23, 2010, 5:27:02 AM6/23/10

I drive past it ever day on the way to work, and never stop. The food
wasn't anything special, though in the late 1970s we used to eat there
because they had The Clash on their jukebox. The appeal was the
atmosphere, not the food.

The Brentwood police sit right across the street from Carl's and shoot
radar.

> --
> Jean B.

--Bryan

Tara

Jun 23, 2010, 11:00:49 AM6/23/10
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:39:42 -0500, George Leppla
<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

>Sounds like fun. The big treat when we were kids was to go into "the
>city" (Manhattan) and eat at the Horn and Hardart's Automat.
>http://www.theautomat.net/ Mom would give us each some nickles and we
>would be off. My favorite was the Macaroni and Cheese.

I envy you that experience! I have never been to an automat.
Automats always remind me of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E.
Frankweiler. The children in that book ate macaroni and cheese from
the automat, and I think baked beans or beans and franks. It was a
revelation to the sister that she did not have to choose breakfast
foods in the morning.

I do remember lunches at Shea's Drug Store. When I was four or five,
I thought that soup and salad was the most sophisticated meal one
could ever eat. I always chose a cup of soup and a side salad. I
thought I was a lady who lunches.

Tara

Jimbo

Jun 23, 2010, 2:53:40 PM6/23/10

"Lou Decruss" <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:53:18 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>>On 2010-06-22, Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?
>>
>>Of course!
>>
>>Kress, Woolworths, WT Grant.... they all had lunch counters back in
>>the day.
>
> I forgot about Kress and WT Grant. I thought I remembered Walgreens
> having counters before they changed them to Wag's so I looked.
>
> Looks like they started in 1910 and continued till the 80's
>
> http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/about/history/hist3.jsp
>

> IGA grocery stores also had counters. At least in the 70's.
>
> Googling for Walgreens I found this unrelated Walgreen restaurant menu
> from 1939. Great prices!
>
> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org/exhibits/walgreens.htm
>
> Lou

Kresge stores in the Detroit area had lunch counters. I always got a club
sandwich.

Jim

George Leppla

Jun 23, 2010, 3:12:41 PM6/23/10
On 6/23/2010 1:53 PM, Jimbo wrote:

> Kresge stores in the Detroit area had lunch counters. I always got a club
> sandwich.

Kresge was the beginning of the modern big-box store. Mr. Kresge
developed Kmart.

All the original Kmarts had small "cafeterias" in them. Depending on who
was running that department, the food could be very good and it was
reasonably priced. I knew of one store where the grill manager would
have an "employee lunch special" every day and post the menu by the time
clock a month in advance so the workers could plan their lunches.

She was the most popular employee in the store.

George L

Pennyaline

Jun 23, 2010, 3:59:31 PM6/23/10
On 6/22/2010 12:43, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> I remember kids sitting at the counter, shooting drinking straw
> wrappers at each other...

When both the straws and their wrappers were made of paper?

<and individual servings of milk came in glass bottles with cardboard
stoppers, and we had to get the teacher to open our milk for us because
we only had stumpy little kid fingers but she had fingernails!!... I am
so old>

jmcquown

Jun 25, 2010, 4:53:28 PM6/25/10
"Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Heya all,
>
> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
> lunch counter.
>
> I only discovered it today, and I haven't been inside yet..I was
> traveling back to my room here, and was going through the downtown
> area.
>
> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
> fond memories too.
>
> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?
>
> Christine
> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Hi Chris! (I deleted my Facebook account; thanks to everyone who 'friended'
me there but the whole thing really held no appeal.) I have fond memories
of eating at a Woolworth's lunch counter around 1979 when I was working at a
store in a mall. It was a short walk down the mall to get to Woolworth's.
I'd usually just order a burger but sometimes I'd get fish & chips. The
food was okay, nothing to brag about. But it was hot and always ready
quickly, leaving me some time to browse in the store. I still have some
wonderful cut shell costume jewelry on macrame cords I bought there :)

Jill

maxine in ri

Jun 25, 2010, 6:49:20 PM6/25/10

I still have a box of paper straws. Utterly useless, don't know how
we used them when we were kids, but maybe that's why I still have the
box<G>.
maxine in ri

pavane

Jun 25, 2010, 7:53:54 PM6/25/10

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:88kjac...@mid.individual.net...

| Hi Chris! (I deleted my Facebook account; thanks to everyone who 'friended'
| me there but the whole thing really held no appeal.) I have fond memories
| of eating at a Woolworth's lunch counter around 1979 when I was working at a
| store in a mall. It was a short walk down the mall to get to Woolworth's.
| I'd usually just order a burger but sometimes I'd get fish & chips. The
| food was okay, nothing to brag about. But it was hot and always ready
| quickly, leaving me some time to browse in the store.

No, that is just wrong. Food in 1979 was far different than today; expectations
were for simple and quick and tasty, there was no gourmet fast food elite such
as KFC's chicken filet sandwiches or the latest burger inside two grilled cheese
sammies, but it was fast, substantial and nourishing. I never found Woolworth's
lacking in any of these criteria. The Woolworth food was as braggable as any
other; back then no one bragged, we just ate decent food. Their burgers and
tuna sandwiches and pies were great. For that time, which is true and real.

pavane

gloria.p

Jun 25, 2010, 8:38:47 PM6/25/10
maxine in ri wrote:

> I still have a box of paper straws. Utterly useless, don't know how
> we used them when we were kids,

Plastic anything was pretty rare int he 50s except for crummy celluloid.
You had to drink quickly because the paper straws fell apart when they
were wet. How spoiled we have become!

gloria p

blake murphy

Jun 26, 2010, 2:26:32 PM6/26/10
> "Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Heya all,
>>
>> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
>> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
>> lunch counter.
>>
>> I only discovered it today, and I haven't been inside yet..I was
>> traveling back to my room here, and was going through the downtown
>> area.
>>
>> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
>> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
>> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
>> fond memories too.
>>
>> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

good old woolworth's!

your pal,
rastus

blake murphy

Jun 27, 2010, 12:28:06 PM6/27/10

nuts, i forgot the u.r.l.

<http://tinyurl.com/28d4bu8>

rastus

Dan Abel

Jun 28, 2010, 11:18:15 AM6/28/10
In article <6ar126p6tsrja640q...@4ax.com>,
Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

> IGA grocery stores also had counters. At least in the 70's.

My local food group:

ba.food

has a discussion going on now about getting lunch at grocery stores in
my city. Maybe it's coming back?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

George Shirley

Jun 28, 2010, 12:05:15 PM6/28/10
On 6/28/2010 10:18 AM, Dan Abel wrote:
> In article<6ar126p6tsrja640q...@4ax.com>,
> Lou Decruss<LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:
>

>> IGA grocery stores also had counters. At least in the 70's.
>
> My local food group:
>
> ba.food
>
> has a discussion going on now about getting lunch at grocery stores in
> my city. Maybe it's coming back?

We have at least three grocery stores in our small city that have deli's
with seating and sell lunches. One actually has a buffet breakfast and
lunch every day of the week, reasonably priced too.

Message has been deleted

Lou Decruss

Jun 28, 2010, 1:00:34 PM6/28/10
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:18:15 -0700, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

>In article <6ar126p6tsrja640q...@4ax.com>,
> Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:
>

>> IGA grocery stores also had counters. At least in the 70's.
>
>My local food group:
>
>ba.food
>
>has a discussion going on now about getting lunch at grocery stores in
>my city. Maybe it's coming back?

It never left here. There's lots of places you can do that.

Second picture down tells it all. And the stuff is good.

http://www.bobak.com/?co=store

Lou

J. Clarke

Jun 28, 2010, 6:13:47 PM6/28/10

>>> There was a small drugstore with a very small sofa fountain near
>>> where I lived when I was 4-5 years old. I would sometimes get to
>>> go with the "older kids" (7-9 years old) and order something. I
>>> almost always ordered a "cherry false face", thinking that was
>>> what a phosphate was.
>>>

>> Thanks for the laugh, Wayne. Now I will always remember "cherry
>> false face". I believe that is what I had also. Life was much
>> simpler back then. Oh gosh, now I'm sounding old. lol
>>
>> Becca
>>

> I am old, and it was much simpler back then. I would not want to be
> a kid today.

Yeah.

You're reminding me of visits to the dentist (my GOD has dentistry
advanced since then, and all in good ways) when I was a kid. He had his
office behind an independent drug store and he always gave me a
certificate for an ice cream cone when he was done torturing me.

But later, in high school, the other pharmacy got my custom and that of
most of the other guys in the school. Debbie O'Neill, the prettiest
girl in the school, was the soda jerk there, and you could get anything
you wanted, except for Debbie, but we all kept buying and trying.

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 28, 2010, 9:18:29 PM6/28/10
On Mon 28 Jun 2010 03:13:47p, J. Clarke told us...

Well, dentistry, that's a different issue. :-) I was fortunate to
have a dentist who bordered on genius when it came to local
anesthesia. My primary molars never loosened enough to be pulled at
home, so was taken to an oral surgeon who used laughing gas. His
office was in a large downtown building which housed a pharmacy on
the ground floor with a terrific soda fountain. I always ended up
with a malt afterwards.

> But later, in high school, the other pharmacy got my custom and
> that of most of the other guys in the school. Debbie O'Neill, the
> prettiest girl in the school, was the soda jerk there, and you
> could get anything you wanted, except for Debbie, but we all kept
> buying and trying.

It never hurts to try. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

J. Clarke

Jun 28, 2010, 11:33:14 PM6/28/10

Finally I've got a dentist with that kind of genius. No malts but she'd
gorgeous and Russian and so is her technician and when they're working
they revert to their native language and it's kind of like being James
Bond for a day.

>> But later, in high school, the other pharmacy got my custom and
>> that of most of the other guys in the school. Debbie O'Neill, the
>> prettiest girl in the school, was the soda jerk there, and you
>> could get anything you wanted, except for Debbie, but we all kept
>> buying and trying.
>
> It never hurts to try. :-)

You know, I think you just answered a question I've been meaning to ask.
There was a "Wayne Boatright" in that same class--since you don't
mention a fond memory of Debbie O'Neill I take it you are not he.

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 29, 2010, 12:32:15 AM6/29/10
On Mon 28 Jun 2010 08:33:14p, J. Clarke told us...

I no longer need a dentist for the usual reasons. July 7th of last
year I had all my teeth extracted and immediate temporary dentures
set in place. Until I found the surgeon who did the procedure I was
terrified at the thought of doing it, but a co-worker had used this
surgeon with great success. My surgeon is Korean and she has a
charming accent, although there's no one else there for her to
converse with in Korean. I was totally amazed at her deftness with
the procedure. It was done under twilight sleep and local
anesthesia. I never had a moment of pain either during or after the
surgery. She prescribed a week's supply of percocet for pain, and I
did take one when I got home and went to bed. I never needed another
one. I had followup appointments at 6 week intervals until two
months ago when I received my final dentures. This doctor has such a
high tech fitting procedure that they feel like natural teeth. I
lucked out.

>>> But later, in high school, the other pharmacy got my custom and
>>> that of most of the other guys in the school. Debbie O'Neill,
>>> the prettiest girl in the school, was the soda jerk there, and
>>> you could get anything you wanted, except for Debbie, but we all
>>> kept buying and trying.
>>
>> It never hurts to try. :-)
>
> You know, I think you just answered a question I've been meaning
> to ask.
> There was a "Wayne Boatright" in that same class--since you
> don't
> mention a fond memory of Debbie O'Neill I take it you are not he.

No, that would not be me.

samsa...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2014, 9:08:48 AM6/22/14
On Monday, June 21, 2010 10:56:56 PM UTC-4, Christine wrote:
> Heya all,
>
> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
> lunch counter.
>
> I only discovered it today, and I haven't been inside yet..I was
> traveling back to my room here, and was going through the downtown
> area.
>
> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
> fond memories too.
>
> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?
>
> Christine
> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

My memories were a little bit different. Our Woolworth's was on Woodward in Detroit Michigan and black people were not able to sit down at the lunch counters. Evidently when the lunch counter in Greensboro was desegregated either Corporate or local management made an interesting decision. Instead of allowing black and white customers to sit at the counter, all of the seats were ripped out and all customers had to stand.

sf

Jun 22, 2014, 10:05:33 AM6/22/14
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 06:08:48 -0700 (PDT), samsa...@gmail.com wrote:

> My memories were a little bit different. Our Woolworth's was on Woodward in Detroit Michigan and black people were not able to sit down at the lunch counters. Evidently when the lunch counter in Greensboro was desegregated either Corporate or local management made an interesting decision. Instead of allowing black and white customers to sit at the counter, all of the seats were ripped out and all customers had to stand.

That's genius! Were colored and whites allowed to intermingle or were
they required to stand in designated areas?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

jmcquown

Jun 22, 2014, 10:22:04 AM6/22/14
On 6/22/2014 9:08 AM, samsa...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, June 21, 2010 10:56:56 PM UTC-4, Christine wrote:
>> Heya all,
>>
>> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
>> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
>> lunch counter.
>>
>> I only discovered it today, and I haven't been inside yet..I was
>> traveling back to my room here, and was going through the downtown
>> area.
>>
>> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
>> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
>> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
>> fond memories too.
>>
>> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?
>>
>> Christine
>> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com
>
> My memories were a little bit different. Our Woolworth's was on Woodward in Detroit Michigan and black people were not able to sit down at the lunch counters.
(snippage)

Chris, I don't know why I didn't see your original post. I used to eat
at Woolworth's in the 1970's when I was on my lunch break. I usually
got a burger and fries or fish & chips. :)

Jill
Message has been deleted

jmcquown

Jun 22, 2014, 10:31:06 AM6/22/14
On 6/22/2014 10:29 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:22:04 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Chris, I don't know why I didn't see your original post.
>
> Because it's another brainless Google-troll dragging up 4 year-old
> threads.
>
> -sw

Damn, I didn't even notice! Sorry about that. I did eat lunch at
Woolworth's, though. :)

Jill

sf

Jun 22, 2014, 10:38:48 AM6/22/14
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:22:04 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 6/22/2014 9:08 AM, samsa...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, June 21, 2010 10:56:56 PM UTC-4, Christine wrote:
> >> Heya all,
> >>
> >> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
> >> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
> >> lunch counter.
> >>
> >> I only discovered it today, and I haven't been inside yet..I was
> >> traveling back to my room here, and was going through the downtown
> >> area.
> >>
> >> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
> >> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
> >> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
> >> fond memories too.
> >>
> >> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?
> >>
> >> Christine
> >> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com
> >
> > My memories were a little bit different. Our Woolworth's was on Woodward in Detroit Michigan and black people were not able to sit down at the lunch counters.
> (snippage)
>
> Chris, I don't know why I didn't see your original post.

I didn't see it either.

> I used to eat
> at Woolworth's in the 1970's when I was on my lunch break. I usually
> got a burger and fries or fish & chips. :)

I think their hot dogs were supposed to be good, but Woolworth's is
one of the places where I could get an open faced hot roast beef
sandwich. White bread, meat, a scoop of mashed potato that had a well
filled with enough gravy to overflow and spill all over the rest of
the sandwich. I loved those things and often wonder what I'd think of
it if I found one now.

Brooklyn1

Jun 22, 2014, 11:03:41 AM6/22/14
Christine wrote:

> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
> lunch counter.
>
> I only discovered it today, and I haven't been inside yet..I was
> traveling back to my room here, and was going through the downtown
> area.
>
> However, I will go inside. I want to check out the lunch counter. I
> have fond memories of eating at a Woolworths lunch counter. And
> judging from the responses I have gotten to my FB posting, others have
> fond memories too.
>
> Anyone else have memories, even fond memories?

When they leaned over to prepare your food some of the counter girls
displayed some fine cleavage. I like to order hand packed ice cream
at the local Friendly's, one gal I call the Dairy Queen... Oh, I
thought you said "fine mammaries". ;)

sockmo...@comcast.net

Jun 22, 2014, 12:38:39 PM6/22/14
Loved Woolworth. I remember those giant bubbly machines on the counters containing orange or grape soda. Pop a balloon to reveal what you'd pay for a Sundae. Fantastic Lime Rickies. The counter workers were always bitchy. My friends and I would chip in to buy a plate of French fries for .25 cents.

Baby turtles for .29 cents. Parakeets for $5. Barbie doll clothes for $1. Our Woolworth's in Nashua, NH had a talking Minah bird who would either whistle or curse whenever someone walked by. Such innocent fun times. '50s and '60s.

jmcquown

Jun 22, 2014, 1:00:34 PM6/22/14
On 6/22/2014 12:38 PM, sockmo...@comcast.net wrote:

> Baby turtles for .29 cents. Parakeets for $5.

I forgot they sold pets! Didn't they also sell (pet) fish?

Funny, most of those sort of all-purpose "five & dime" type stores sold
small pets. I'd forgotten all about that. :)

Jill
Message has been deleted

notbob

Jun 22, 2014, 1:05:56 PM6/22/14
On 2014-06-22, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Damn, I didn't even notice! Sorry about that. I did eat lunch at
> Woolworth's, though. :)

We had both Woolworth's and Kress, but, as I recall, WT Grant had the
best lunch counters. ;)

nb

Dave Smith

Jun 22, 2014, 1:16:39 PM6/22/14
Mostly budgies, turtles and goldfish.

Cheri

Jun 22, 2014, 1:27:00 PM6/22/14

<samsa...@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Monday, June 21, 2010 10:56:56 PM UTC-4, Christine wrote:
> Heya all,
>
> I just posted on Facebook, that I discovered one of the last remaining
> Woolworths here in Bakersfield. On the storefront, it says it has a
> lunch counter.

I have fond memories of Woolworths, but no good memories of
Bakersfield...ever. :-)

Cheri

Ophelia

Jun 22, 2014, 1:37:13 PM6/22/14

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
Not even of Dwight singing and messing around ...:)))
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

It is loading more messages.