Billy Mays died!

Nancy Young

Jun 28, 2009, 12:43:00 PM6/28/09
50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.

nancy

C.D

Jun 28, 2009, 1:10:53 PM6/28/09

"Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
> nancy

wow. i was just talking about him yesterday. wonder if there's a connection?

Nancy Young

Jun 28, 2009, 1:37:19 PM6/28/09
C.D wrote:
> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote

>> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.

> wow. i was just talking about him yesterday. wonder if there's a
> connection?

Ack, all kidding aside, his ad for Arm&Hammer baking soda just
came on, where he's making the other actors yell ... it was kind
of eerie.

nancy (please don't talk about me, okay?)

Vesper

Jun 28, 2009, 1:41:21 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:10:53 -0400, "C.D" <notr...@that1place.com>
wrote:

Some folks I with whom I have had exchanges in another group think
everything is connected. I simply pointed out to them that my cable
TV was not connected and that seemed to settle the issue. Is your
cable TV connected? If so, you probably did kill him.

He makes three now, doesn't he?

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 28, 2009, 1:51:00 PM6/28/09

"Vesper" <tjf...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> He makes three now, doesn't he?

No, he is #4. Ed McM, Farrah, Jackson, Mays

maxine

Jun 28, 2009, 2:04:53 PM6/28/09
On Jun 28, 1:10 pm, "C.D" <notrea...@that1place.com> wrote:
> "Nancy Young" <rjynly...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Yup. It's all your fault. Suck it up, kiddo. You're the kiss of
death.
[just kidding]

Considering how ubiquitous the guy was, it would be a wonder if you
hadn't mentioned him the other day.

maxine in ri

Message has been deleted

Dave Bugg

Jun 28, 2009, 2:50:23 PM6/28/09

Don't forget David Carradine.

--
Dave

Dave Bugg

Jun 28, 2009, 2:53:11 PM6/28/09
Nancy Young wrote:

> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.

To me, Mays don't count for celebrity status. No more so than my local used
car salesman selling cars on TV.

Sorry to hear about his death, though.

Lin

Jun 28, 2009, 2:58:15 PM6/28/09

#5 -- you forgot David Carradine. Maybe not in the same week, but close
enough for horseshoes.

--Lin

Mark Thorson

Jun 28, 2009, 3:42:27 PM6/28/09
Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:

> I think it was the switch over to digital. That's what I think.

No, it was competition from the ShamWow! guy that drove him
into the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Offer

Nancy Young

Jun 28, 2009, 3:36:37 PM6/28/09
Dave Bugg wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
>
> To me, Mays don't count for celebrity status. No more so than my
> local used car salesman selling cars on TV.

I thought about what word I should use. Said The heck with it,
I'm saying celebrity.

> Sorry to hear about his death, though.

Yeah. I understand something hit him on the head yesterday on a
rough plane landing. 50 is young to die if you're not abusing drugs
of some kind.

nancy

Mr. Bill

Jun 28, 2009, 3:38:44 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:43:00 -0400, "Nancy Young"
<rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

>50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.

And not one of us will get out of this alive.....celebrity or not.
Ya's all gonna die. When the Jesus Bus stops to pick you up....YOU
are gone!!

Mr. Bill

Jun 28, 2009, 3:40:25 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:51:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net>
wrote:

Who said he was #4? There were THREE people who died before Ed.
That would make him Seven....but who's really counting?

Message has been deleted

Sqwertz

Jun 28, 2009, 3:51:09 PM6/28/09

I'm pretty sure some regular people died, too.

-sw

sf

Jun 28, 2009, 4:14:22 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:37:19 -0400, "Nancy Young"
<rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

>C.D wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote
>
>>> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
>
>> wow. i was just talking about him yesterday. wonder if there's a
>> connection?
>
>Ack, all kidding aside, his ad for Arm&Hammer baking soda just
>came on, where he's making the other actors yell ... it was kind
>of eerie.

I had to look up the name. He's the Oxi-clean guy.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

sf

Jun 28, 2009, 4:15:41 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:41:21 -0500, Vesper <tjf...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>He makes three now, doesn't he?

He's #4. Ed McMahon was the first to go.

sf

Jun 28, 2009, 4:17:09 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:58:15 -0700, Lin <grafixb...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I didn't count him (June 3). They're dropping like flies!

Mark Thorson

Jun 28, 2009, 4:28:51 PM6/28/09

#6 -- you forgot reknowned lead singer Sky Saxon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Saxon

Which just goes to show that these things come in threes,
in this case twice. :-)

Mark Thorson

Jun 28, 2009, 4:38:45 PM6/28/09
Nancy Young wrote:

> Yeah. I understand something hit him on the head yesterday on a
> rough plane landing. 50 is young to die if you're not abusing drugs
> of some kind.

Read about the plane landing here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31590371

And the death of Billy Mays:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31596003

cybercat

Jun 28, 2009, 4:49:44 PM6/28/09

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:37:19 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>C.D wrote:
>>> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote

>>> wow. i was just talking about him yesterday. wonder if there's a
>>> connection?
>>
>>Ack, all kidding aside, his ad for Arm&Hammer baking soda just
>>came on, where he's making the other actors yell ... it was kind
>>of eerie.
>>
> I had to look up the name. He's the Oxi-clean guy.

I was just thinking yesterday, watching his commercial, how obnoxious he was
in it. I am sorry he died so young, though.

brooklyn1

Jun 28, 2009, 5:03:49 PM6/28/09

"Dave Bugg" wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
>
> To me, Mays don't count for celebrity status. No more so than my local
> used car salesman selling cars on TV.

Sure he does, the Mays infomercials get more public exposure on a 24/7 basis
then all the other three celebritys combined... and to my knowlege he has
never been accused of anything criminal or immoral. I found Billy Mays'
skits very entertaining, and even though I never bought any of the products
he hawked I'm very sorry he's gone... 50 is much too young to depart... here
I am 66 years old and have never done anything publicly noteworthy but I
feel fortunate to be in extrordinarilly good health, don't really know why
except it's said only the good die young, I try very hard not to be good so
I'll likely be around to piss on many of yoose graves... so don't be too
quick to wish it was me with that electrical wire...

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 28, 2009, 5:08:32 PM6/28/09
On Jun 28, 3:49 pm, "cybercat" <cyberpu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was just thinking yesterday, watching his commercial, how obnoxious he was
> in it. I am sorry he died so young, though.- Hide quoted text -

There's a program on the Discovery Channel called "Pitchmen" featuring
Billy and Anthony Sullivan, "Sully," I've caught a few nights. Billy
was quite the normal, down to earth, regular guy when not in
'commercial' mode and not shouting at the camera. He stated he would
not sell a product he wouldn't use himself nor believe in. It's been
an interesting show of what I have seen.

Gregory Morrow

Jun 28, 2009, 5:51:06 PM6/28/09
Nancy Young wrote:

> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.

Someone on another froup mentioned that 50's teevee star Gale Storm just
passed, she was 87...

--
Best
Greg

Omelet

Jun 28, 2009, 6:41:59 PM6/28/09
In article <t4N1m.1383$1B4....@newsfe28.ams2>,
"Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
>
> nancy

Who is Billy Mays?

Sorry, but I've never heard of him.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

Vesper

Jun 28, 2009, 6:55:26 PM6/28/09

"My Little Margie." I remember it, sort of .....

I am 66 and the old Zorro and the Lone Ranger stick out more in my
memory. I vaguely remember "Commander Cody and the Lost Planet
Airmen."

Julian Vrieslander

Jun 28, 2009, 7:09:03 PM6/28/09
In article <VUQ1m.1528$9l4...@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,
"brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I found Billy Mays' skits very entertaining, and even though I never
> bought any of the products he hawked I'm very sorry he's gone...

Entertaining? I find his commercials extremely irritating. Mays'
style, the yelling and flailing gestures, the same tired old gimmicks
("But wait, there's more!") just makes me cringe. And the knowledge
that this style must be effective, since he is one of the most
sought-after pitchmen on the planet, is a depressing reminder of the
average intelligence of his audience.

My suspicion is that Mays was rehearsing one of his scripts at full
volume (11), and his head exploded.

--
Julian Vrieslander

Michel Boucher

Jun 28, 2009, 7:15:41 PM6/28/09

> I am 66 and the old Zorro and the Lone Ranger stick out more in my
> memory. I vaguely remember "Commander Cody and the Lost Planet
> Airmen."

Roy Rogers for me. But we also had Our Miss Brooks but not many of the
serials, not that I can remember anyway. In those days, these was one TV
channel (Radio-Canada/CBC) and half the programming was in jibber-jabber
and the other half was in French ;-)

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest

cybercat

Jun 28, 2009, 7:23:12 PM6/28/09

"Julian Vrieslander" <julianvREMO...@mindspring.com> wrote in
message

> In article <VUQ1m.1528$9l4...@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,
> "brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> I found Billy Mays' skits very entertaining, and even though I never
>> bought any of the products he hawked I'm very sorry he's gone...
>
> Entertaining? I find his commercials extremely irritating. Mays'
> style, the yelling and flailing gestures, the same tired old gimmicks
> ("But wait, there's more!") just makes me cringe.

Though my sister tells me the stuff works great, I will not by it because I
hate his style so much. :)

Bob Muncie

Jun 28, 2009, 7:24:38 PM6/28/09
Nancy Young wrote:
> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
> nancy

You call him a celebrity... I call him a cockroach.

Your mileage may vary.

Bob

George

Jun 28, 2009, 7:45:00 PM6/28/09
Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> In article <VUQ1m.1528$9l4...@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,
> "brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> I found Billy Mays' skits very entertaining, and even though I never
>> bought any of the products he hawked I'm very sorry he's gone...
>
> Entertaining? I find his commercials extremely irritating. Mays'
> style, the yelling and flailing gestures, the same tired old gimmicks
> ("But wait, there's more!") just makes me cringe. And the knowledge
> that this style must be effective, since he is one of the most
> sought-after pitchmen on the planet, is a depressing reminder of the
> average intelligence of his audience.

Not only his audience. Marketing works. A great majority of people need
to be told what to buy, where to eat, what to think about politicians etc.

Bob Muncie

Jun 28, 2009, 8:19:23 PM6/28/09

Julian - You have no idea how loud I just laughed Lol. I visualized the
"head aspoding" thing...
Thanks for making my Sunday afternoon.

Bob

Dave Bugg

Jun 28, 2009, 9:21:34 PM6/28/09
brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
>>
>> To me, Mays don't count for celebrity status. No more so than my
>> local used car salesman selling cars on TV.

> Sure he does, ...

I said, "to me". I didn't include anyone else because taste and standards
vary.

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 28, 2009, 9:37:49 PM6/28/09
On Sun 28 Jun 2009 10:51:00a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

> "Vesper" <tjf...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> He makes three now, doesn't he?

> No, he is #4. Ed McM, Farrah, Jackson, Mays

Wouldn't that e $5? There was also Gale Storm.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Dyspepsia is the remorse of a guilty stomach. ~A. Kerr

sf

Jun 28, 2009, 9:53:40 PM6/28/09
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:37:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
<waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote:

>Wouldn't that e $5? There was also Gale Storm.

I didn't know she was still alive!

Ed

Jun 28, 2009, 10:25:06 PM6/28/09

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In article <t4N1m.1383$1B4....@newsfe28.ams2>,
> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
>>
>> nancy
>
> Who is Billy Mays?
>
> Sorry, but I've never heard of him.
> --
> Peace! Om

Probably the most successful Pitchmen of all times. A voice that cannot be
ignored and he has the mannerisms and gestures to get people to look at what
he is selling and listen to him.

He's been selling Oxy Clean, Mighty Putty, and a host of other products for
$19.99. But wait, there's more. He is even featured on a TV reality show on
Discovery Channel called Pitchmen. Many people are turned off by his voice,
but once you hear it, you'll always know who it is when he speaks. He's
sold billions of dollars of products.

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 28, 2009, 10:44:35 PM6/28/09
On Sun 28 Jun 2009 06:53:40p, sf told us...

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:37:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> <waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote:
>
>>Wouldn't that e $5? There was also Gale Storm.
>
> I didn't know she was still alive!

She was 87.

--
Wayne Boatwright
If we're not willing to settle for junk living, we certainly

Bob Muncie

Jun 28, 2009, 9:22:09 PM6/28/09
Omelet wrote:
> In article <t4N1m.1383$1B4....@newsfe28.ams2>,
> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
>>
>> nancy
>
> Who is Billy Mays?
>
> Sorry, but I've never heard of him.

Om -

He was the bearded person trying to sell a ton of crap on the networks.
Loud voice, and very obnoxious.

bob

sf

Jun 29, 2009, 12:51:13 AM6/29/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:45:00 -0400, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Not only his audience. Marketing works. A great majority of people need
>to be told what to buy, where to eat, what to think about politicians etc.

Oh, come on George. He was a caricature of the pitchmen at county
fairs and they sell a lot of product.

Omelet

Jun 29, 2009, 3:26:00 AM6/29/09
In article <gCV1m.3442$Jb1....@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com>,
"Ed" <e...@snet.net> wrote:

Probably why I've never heard of him.
I've not watched any TV except the occasional news and weather now for
the past 7 years.

Thanks.

Omelet

Jun 29, 2009, 3:26:19 AM6/29/09
In article <h29556$fa7$4...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Bob Muncie <bob.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks.

jmcquown

Jun 29, 2009, 8:28:05 AM6/29/09

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:45:00 -0400, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Not only his audience. Marketing works. A great majority of people need
>>to be told what to buy, where to eat, what to think about politicians etc.
>
> Oh, come on George. He was a caricature of the pitchmen at county
> fairs and they sell a lot of product.

I don't know about county fairs. I do remember the old days of television
where the host of a show had to pitch a product or have someone else pitch a
product. (Think of Lucy's old skit about Vitameatavegamin gag.)

I watched a bunch of Alfred Hitchcock films Saturday on a classic movie
channel. Before they started the show they had an interview with Hitchcock
and Dick Cavett from the early 60's. At one point Cavett had to hold up a
box of something (who knows now what it was) and say, "And now a word from
our sponsor". Pitches have been a part of radio and television advertising
for decades. It's not going to stop any time soon.

Sad to hear about Billy Mays, though. I never bought Oxiclean but I'll bet
a lot of people did.

Jill

Andy

Jun 29, 2009, 9:45:43 AM6/29/09
jmcquown said...

> I watched a bunch of Alfred Hitchcock films Saturday on a classic movie
> channel. Before they started the show they had an interview with
> Hitchcock and Dick Cavett from the early 60's. At one point Cavett had
> to hold up a box of something (who knows now what it was) and say, "And
> now a word from our sponsor". Pitches have been a part of radio and
> television advertising for decades. It's not going to stop any time
> soon.

The BIG difference being, brand names products paid to sponsor TV programs
(like soap operas) and had their products available on supermarket shelves!!!

"Not available in stores" became an entirely bullshit racket and Mays was a
shrewd pitchman who took it a new level.

Sorry for his passing but, NOT sorry that he'll instantly be replaced to
continue the crap product advertising "that's not available in stores."

Andy.

Phil-c

Jun 29, 2009, 10:03:11 AM6/29/09

Hells bells -------- Who cares ?

Starting to wonder if Tv has taken over the ability for people to
think for themselves. There is a big nasty as well as wonderful world
out there.
FFS get away from the tube it appears to be programming a whole society .

Remember those GM and Chrysler Ford adds ------------- Eron etc where
did that get you :)

While ou flame listen to this :) http://www.capsteps.com/sounds/suv.ram

Dons flame proof suite

notbob

Jun 29, 2009, 12:22:01 PM6/29/09
On 2009-06-29, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Sad to hear about Billy Mays, though. I never bought Oxiclean but I'll bet
> a lot of people did.

Surprisingly, the stuff actually works. Killer for removing coffee and tea
stains/varnish from brewers, cups. etc. As for Billy, sorry he's dead, but
not sorry that grating voice will be heard no more (hopefully).

nb

Pennyaline

Jun 29, 2009, 12:51:06 PM6/29/09

Sure Oxiclean works. It's oxygen bleach. It's been around a long time,
long before the Oxiclean name was attached.

I won't miss that voice either, but I'm not clear (and now I supposed
I'll never know) if it was his voice or his yelling or both that was so
irritating.

Pennyaline

Jun 29, 2009, 12:55:29 PM6/29/09
Phil-c wrote:
> Hells bells -------- Who cares ?
>
> Starting to wonder if Tv has taken over the ability for people to
> think for themselves. There is a big nasty as well as wonderful world
> out there.
> FFS get away from the tube it appears to be programming a whole society .
>
> Remember those GM and Chrysler Ford adds ------------- Eron etc where
> did that get you :)
>

> While ou flame listen to this :) http://www.capsteps.com/sounds/suv.ram
>

> Dons flame proof suite

No problem. It IS the vast wasteland Milton Minow predicted it would be
and has done precisely what he said it would do.

Lin

Jun 29, 2009, 1:00:45 PM6/29/09
notbob wrote:

> As for Billy, sorry he's dead, but
> not sorry that grating voice will be heard no more (hopefully).

I can't explain it, but for some reason it -seems- they have cranked up
the amount of advert time with this guy. I've seen at least six
commercials in the last two hours on Nickelodeon. (Granddaughter likes
the channel). Sheesh. I spoke to soon. Mark that up to seven ... one was
airing as I typed this.

--Lin

Message has been deleted

Dan Abel

Jun 29, 2009, 1:47:41 PM6/29/09
In article <7k1ai5eo...@sqwertz.com>,
Sqwertz <sqw...@cluemail.composted> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:51:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > "Vesper" <tjf...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> He makes three now, doesn't he?

> > No, he is #4. Ed McM, Farrah, Jackson, Mays
>

> I'm pretty sure some regular people died, too.

Do you have a cite for that?

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Chemo the Clown

Jun 29, 2009, 1:51:10 PM6/29/09
On Jun 28, 9:43 am, "Nancy Young" <rjynly...@comcast.net> wrote:
> 50 years old.  Bad week to be a celebrity.
>
> nancy

There was Oxy-clean in his system and he had needle marks.

blake murphy

Jun 29, 2009, 2:26:23 PM6/29/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:55:26 -0500, Vesper wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:51:06 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> <xz4t...@xxaala.cu> wrote:

>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
>>

>>Someone on another froup mentioned that 50's teevee star Gale Storm just
>>passed, she was 87...
>
> "My Little Margie." I remember it, sort of .....

> I am 66 and the old Zorro and the Lone Ranger stick out more in my
> memory. I vaguely remember "Commander Cody and the Lost Planet
> Airmen."

i think you got it a little scrambled here. CC and the LPA were a
country/rock 'n' roll/texas swing band:

<http://www.amazon.com/Commander-Cody/e/B000APVRNY/ref=ntt_mus_dp_pel>

i recommend 'we've got a live one here!'

your pal,
blake

Message has been deleted

gloria.p

Jun 29, 2009, 3:42:08 PM6/29/09
Andy wrote:
> jmcquown said...

>> Pitches have been a part of radio and
>> television advertising for decades. It's not going to stop any time
>> soon.
>

> The BIG difference being, brand names products paid to sponsor TV programs
> (like soap operas) and had their products available on supermarket shelves!!!
>
> "Not available in stores" became an entirely bullshit racket and Mays was a
> shrewd pitchman who took it a new level.
>
> Sorry for his passing but, NOT sorry that he'll instantly be replaced to
> continue the crap product advertising "that's not available in stores."

Actually I have recently seen "As advertised on TV" sections in both
Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond stores. Most items are $9.99 but of
course you don't get the "wait, there's more" hype of two or three
items "for only $19.99 plus shipping and handling."

Yes, most of it is junk. There's an online website that reviews the
products and it concurs that most of them don't work/are useless.
I can't download it currently but it was http://www.infomercialscams.com

gloria p

Andy

Jun 29, 2009, 4:00:44 PM6/29/09
gloria.p said...

gloria p,

At Boscovs, a dept. store at the local mall there's an "As Seen On TV"
section like you mention.

I always stop and check out the products, out of curiousity.

I bought a ginsu knife set and the plastic mandolin gizmo with a half dozen
throw away attachments years ago. They still work and I still have the
lifetime warranty paperwork. What are the chances??? :D

Best,

Andy

Jim Macey

Jun 29, 2009, 4:40:13 PM6/29/09
sf wrote:
> Oh, come on George. He was a caricature of the pitchmen at county
> fairs and they sell a lot of product.
> (snip)

No, sf, he wasn't a "caricature" he was a real pitchman at county fairs,
state fairs, Atlantic City, etc., where he honed his craft for many
years; then from exposure in those areas, he was spotted and hired by
one of the shopping networks (which are also real pitchpersons) and
the rest is history.

Jim...in New Mexico

sf

Jun 29, 2009, 4:45:25 PM6/29/09
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:40:13 -0600, Jim Macey <jimm...@myway.com>
wrote:

Thanks! I didn't know that.

Daisypicker5

Jun 29, 2009, 9:01:33 PM6/29/09

> Nancy Young wrote:
> 50 years old. Bad week to be a celebrity.
>
> nancy
Seriously... celebs are dropping like flies

Sqwertz

Jun 29, 2009, 11:38:12 PM6/29/09
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:47:41 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article <7k1ai5eo...@sqwertz.com>,
> Sqwertz <sqw...@cluemail.composted> wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure some regular people died, too.
>
> Do you have a cite for that?

I will post them daily. For breakfast.

-sw

blake murphy

Jun 30, 2009, 12:11:05 PM6/30/09

actually, i don't think it was a prediction - it was a description of the
current reality in 1961. things certainly haven't improved since then.

your pal,
blake

Pennyaline

Jun 30, 2009, 12:30:37 PM6/30/09

Actor Robert Urich did a number of infomercials in the time before he
died of cancer in 2002. Long after he was gone, those infomercials just
kept running and running.

Bob Muncie

Jun 30, 2009, 1:58:52 PM6/30/09

Robert Urich had a personality and charisma. The only thing Billy had
going for him was a big mouth.

Am I sorry he died so young? yes. Am I sorry he'll never make another
commercial? Not only no, but HELL no.

Bob

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 30, 2009, 2:35:56 PM6/30/09

"Bob Muncie" <bob.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Robert Urich had a personality and charisma. The only thing Billy had
> going for him was a big mouth.
>
> Am I sorry he died so young? yes. Am I sorry he'll never make another
> commercial? Not only no, but HELL no.
>
> Bob

He actually had quite a following. He'd draw crowds in airports and he'd
also ham it up. He sure sold lots of stuff though.