How do you like folding your omlettes?

Bent Attorney Esq.

Mar 8, 2010, 6:16:53 PM3/8/10
I fold mine the easier way. Eggs in the pan, get the stuff on top on
to the sides and under. Place topping all over. Put lid on for a
brief moment(although you can put it under the broiler for a sec)to
melt cheese if any. Then take plate and slide omlette on it, folding
it over using the pan. Some cooks like to fold it in the pan. One
third over, then the other third, then slide it onto the plate. Also
some restaurants(greasy spoons[it's OK to mention grease in this
context]) do their omlettes on the grill, folding it a few times. One
third over, then the other third, then the top half is folded, then
the bottom half etc. Then it's put upside down on the plate. So it
looks Kosher.
Which do you prefer?

Omelet

Mar 8, 2010, 6:31:19 PM3/8/10
In article
<0a410baa-147c-4edf...@q23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
mastered it yet without tearing it.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

Damaeus

Mar 8, 2010, 9:01:16 PM3/8/10
Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> posted:

> I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
> mastered it yet without tearing it.

I don't like omelettes, but I love scrambled eggs and quiches. Even if an
omelette has the same ingredients as a quiche, the quiche just has a
different taste to it.

A nonstick pan seems crucial for turning an omelette, as well as a very
wide, very soft plastic spatula.

Damaeus

Dave Smith

Mar 8, 2010, 9:06:41 PM3/8/10
Damaeus wrote:
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> posted:
>
>> I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
>> mastered it yet without tearing it.
>
> I don't like omelettes, but I love scrambled eggs and quiches. Even if an
> omelette has the same ingredients as a quiche, the quiche just has a
> different taste to it.

I agree. I love eggs done just about any way.... except an omelet.

Steve Pope

Mar 8, 2010, 9:15:12 PM3/8/10
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Damaeus wrote:

>> Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> posted:

>>> I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
>>> mastered it yet without tearing it.

>> I don't like omelettes, but I love scrambled eggs and quiches. Even if an
>> omelette has the same ingredients as a quiche, the quiche just has a
>> different taste to it.

>I agree. I love eggs done just about any way.... except an omelet.

I disagree. They're different, but they're all good. A folded omelet
is just a little tricky to have come out right. But unless
you're a perfectionist wanting it to look perfect always, it should
taste equally as good as any other egg dish with the same ingredients.

However. My absolute favorite egg dishes, I think, are the ones that
include some form of fried bread, such as matzo brie or migas.
I made a killer migas the other day...

Steve

Dave Smith

Mar 8, 2010, 9:19:49 PM3/8/10
Steve Pope wrote:
> Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> Damaeus wrote:
>
>>> Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> posted:

>>> I don't like omelettes, but I love scrambled eggs and quiches. Even if an
>>> omelette has the same ingredients as a quiche, the quiche just has a
>>> different taste to it.
>
>> I agree. I love eggs done just about any way.... except an omelet.
>
> I disagree. They're different, but they're all good. A folded omelet
> is just a little tricky to have come out right. But unless
> you're a perfectionist wanting it to look perfect always, it should
> taste equally as good as any other egg dish with the same ingredients.

You are welcome to disagree. It is not a matter of being a
perfectionist. I don't care if they are flat, folded in half or rolled.
I have had lots of omelets over the years and, with the exception of a
toasted western sandwich, I am not a fan of omelets. My wife loves them.
I don't.

Janet Bostwick

Mar 8, 2010, 9:33:15 PM3/8/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article
snip

> I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
> mastered it yet without tearing it.
> --
> Peace! Om
Don't attempt to fold it. Line the filling up in a straight line from the
handle of the pan. If you are right handed, the filling should be on the
left hand of the pan. Jiggle the pan to make sure the egg is loose in the
pan. Hold the pan a couple of inches over the plate, jiggle a bit and let
the egg/filling side slide onto the plate. As the non-filled side begins to
leave the pan, drape (cover) that part over the filled side already on the
plate. You should end up with a nicely half circle shaped omelet on your
plate.
Janet

Steve Pope

Mar 8, 2010, 9:40:08 PM3/8/10
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Damaeus wrote:

Okay, but are you saying that an omelet tastes different
from scrambled eggs with the same ingredients? If so,
in what way?

About the only thing I can think of is that "gooey" ingreditents,
like pesto, melted cheese, or tomato sauce can sit inside the middle
of a omelet while cooking for longer; with scrambled eggs you need to
add them pretty much at the end. Still I don't think the total
effect is all that different.

(I'll readily acknowledge the possibility of some classical difference
in outcome that's beyond my ability as a cook to achieve...)

Steve

Omelet

Mar 8, 2010, 9:54:40 PM3/8/10
In article <nsabp5hqshngguug5...@4ax.com>,
Damaeus <no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> posted:
>
> > I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
> > mastered it yet without tearing it.
>
> I don't like omelettes, but I love scrambled eggs and quiches. Even if an
> omelette has the same ingredients as a quiche, the quiche just has a
> different taste to it.

I agree with that. Having it mixed vs. folding it makes two entirely
different meals.

> A nonstick pan seems crucial for turning an omelette, as well as a very
> wide, very soft plastic spatula.
>
> Damaeus

Not too soft. I have two of them.

Omelet

Mar 8, 2010, 9:55:20 PM3/8/10
In article <4b95ad33$0$3963$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>,
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

They are easy to overcook. Keeping them slightly soft makes all the
difference in the world imho.

Omelet

Mar 8, 2010, 9:57:08 PM3/8/10
In article <hn4avg$cvf$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

> I made a killer migas the other day...
>

> Steve

Okay, that's different. I've not tried that. Care to share a recipe?

Omelet

Mar 8, 2010, 9:58:13 PM3/8/10
In article <GeSdnf2ph4UCLgjW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

I do need to practice this and since dad loves them, they will be
consumed. ;-)

Omelet

Mar 8, 2010, 9:59:40 PM3/8/10
In article <hn4ce8$duq$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

> Okay, but are you saying that an omelet tastes different
> from scrambled eggs with the same ingredients? If so,
> in what way?

I have to agree with him. The ingredients mixed in with the eggs have a
totally different effect than the eggs folding over a filling. :-)

Steve Pope

Mar 8, 2010, 10:33:01 PM3/8/10
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> I made a killer migas the other day...

>Okay, that's different. I've not tried that. Care to share a recipe?

Sure. My most recent version, to serve 2, was as follows:

2 eggs
3 ounces medium tofu, diced
Olive oil
1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 t Ground NM chile
5 soft corn tortillas, cut into strips
3 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into small slices
2 T salsa
Sea salt, pepper

Open the eggs, add the tofu and 1 t of NM chile, and stir
once or twice. Let come up to room temperature.

Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the bell pepper, onion,
and the rest of the NM chile and sautee until tender.
Add a little more olive oil and the tortillas and
continue to sautee, adding salt and pepper. Add a little
more olive oil and the egg mixture, cook undisturbed until
half-set, flip once, place the cheese and salsa on top,
and cover until done. (The total cooking time is perhaps
6 minutes.)

Steve

J. Clarke

Mar 8, 2010, 11:10:49 PM3/8/10

Eggs contain a variety of different protiens that unfold at different
temperatures. An omelet properly done has most them unfolded in the
outer layer and only the lowest temperature ones unfolded in the inner,
this gives a different result from scrambled eggs in which they're all
at the same temperature and thus uniform in taste and texture.

> Steve

J. Clarke

Mar 8, 2010, 11:07:51 PM3/8/10

What is crucial is skill in handling the pan, and if you're using a cast
iron pan a certain amount of upper body strength.

Steve Pope

Mar 8, 2010, 11:46:07 PM3/8/10
J. Clarke <jclarke...@cox.net> wrote:

>On 3/8/2010 9:40 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

>> Okay, but are you saying that an omelet tastes different
>> from scrambled eggs with the same ingredients? If so,
>> in what way?

>Eggs contain a variety of different protiens that unfold at different

>temperatures. An omelet properly done has most them unfolded in the
>outer layer and only the lowest temperature ones unfolded in the inner,
>this gives a different result from scrambled eggs in which they're all
>at the same temperature and thus uniform in taste and texture.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Steve

ljla...@acd.net

Mar 9, 2010, 2:19:59 AM3/9/10
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:31:19 -0600, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article
><0a410baa-147c-4edf...@q23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> "Bent Attorney Esq." <parkstre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I fold mine the easier way. Eggs in the pan, get the stuff on top on
>> to the sides and under. Place topping all over. Put lid on for a
>> brief moment(although you can put it under the broiler for a sec)to
>> melt cheese if any. Then take plate and slide omlette on it, folding
>> it over using the pan. Some cooks like to fold it in the pan. One
>> third over, then the other third, then slide it onto the plate. Also
>> some restaurants(greasy spoons[it's OK to mention grease in this
>> context]) do their omlettes on the grill, folding it a few times. One
>> third over, then the other third, then the top half is folded, then
>> the bottom half etc. Then it's put upside down on the plate. So it
>> looks Kosher.
>> Which do you prefer?
>
>I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
>mastered it yet without tearing it.

Yep me too and it always breaks at the fold, I've learned to live with it. But then I
only cook for myself.

Message has been deleted

spokid

Mar 9, 2010, 2:29:13 AM3/9/10

Well I dont like to fold it, all ingredients on top but not folded or
turned over. I like to have mine just the way it is.

--
spokid

Ophelia

Mar 9, 2010, 4:10:29 AM3/9/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
> mastered it yet without tearing it.

Om that is the way I do mine. When it is nearly cooked, put on the
topping, take the pan over to the plate and allow it to slide off. Just
before it is all off, flip the pan up gently and it will lift the back half
over the filling. et viola!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Mar 9, 2010, 4:14:03 AM3/9/10

>> I agree. I love eggs done just about any way.... except an omelet.

Agreed. An omelet even slightly overcooked is horrible. The same with
scrambled eggs. I don't make them very often because it takes me so long to
make, but then I am very fussy about it:)) I cook it over a low heat and
keep taking it off to be sure it doesn't overcook

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 7:35:19 AM3/9/10
In article <hn4fhd$g56$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

Sounds pleasant, thanks! Not quite juevos rancheros, but still sounds
good.

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 7:38:29 AM3/9/10
In article <hn4is...@news3.newsguy.com>,
"J. Clarke" <jclarke...@cox.net> wrote:

> > A nonstick pan seems crucial for turning an omelette, as well as a very
> > wide, very soft plastic spatula.
>
> What is crucial is skill in handling the pan, and if you're using a cast
> iron pan a certain amount of upper body strength.

<lol> Depends on the size of the cast iron! A small 8" one is not so
heavy and works well for Omelets. :-)

Mom's best Omelet pan (that vanished with one of dad's girlfriends) was
a well seasoned copper clad steel pan. <sigh> I need to look for
another one.

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 7:40:19 AM3/9/10
In article <ugtbp5dm29t904qpf...@4ax.com>,
"ljla...@acd.net" <ljla...@acd.net> wrote:

> >I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
> >mastered it yet without tearing it.
>
> Yep me too and it always breaks at the fold, I've learned to live with it.
> But then I
> only cook for myself.

A multitude of evil can also be covered with a little melted cheese when
serving others. Once you have it plated, put some thinly sliced or
shredded cheese on top and nuke it for about 30 to 45 seconds. Covers
the tear. <g>

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 7:40:59 AM3/9/10
In article <7vmhof...@mid.individual.net>,
"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote:

I'll have to practice that. <g> Thanks!

Ophelia

Mar 9, 2010, 8:15:28 AM3/9/10

> In article <7vmhof...@mid.individual.net>,
> "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I prefer it folded in half over the filling. Just have not quite
>> > mastered it yet without tearing it.
>>
>> Om that is the way I do mine. When it is nearly cooked, put on the
>> topping, take the pan over to the plate and allow it to slide off. Just
>> before it is all off, flip the pan up gently and it will lift the back
>> half
>> over the filling. et viola!
>> --
>
> I'll have to practice that. <g> Thanks!

Go on:) It's easy peasy:)) Let me know:)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Dave Smith

Mar 9, 2010, 8:54:41 AM3/9/10
Steve Pope wrote:

>> You are welcome to disagree. It is not a matter of being a
>> perfectionist. I don't care if they are flat, folded in half or rolled.
>> I have had lots of omelets over the years and, with the exception of a
>> toasted western sandwich, I am not a fan of omelets. My wife loves them.
>> I don't.
>
> Okay, but are you saying that an omelet tastes different
> from scrambled eggs with the same ingredients? If so,
> in what way?

Yes. An omelet does taste different from scrambled eggs, though maybe I
am thinking about scrambled eggs the way I make them as opposed to dried
out scrambled eggs some people make. It's more of a texture thing, and I
think that texture has a major effect on the taste of eggs.

Eggs are very versatile critters and even slight differences in cooking
result in a much different taste.

> About the only thing I can think of is that "gooey" ingreditents,
> like pesto, melted cheese, or tomato sauce can sit inside the middle
> of a omelet while cooking for longer; with scrambled eggs you need to
> add them pretty much at the end. Still I don't think the total
> effect is all that different.

FWIW, I have no problem with cheese in omelets. I do not like cheese in
scrambled eggs.

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 9:13:44 AM3/9/10
In article <7vn09o...@mid.individual.net>,
"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote:

> "Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <7vmhof...@mid.individual.net>,
> > "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> "Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Om that is the way I do mine. When it is nearly cooked, put on the
> >> topping, take the pan over to the plate and allow it to slide off. Just
> >> before it is all off, flip the pan up gently and it will lift the back
> >> half
> >> over the filling. et viola!
> >> --
> >
> > I'll have to practice that. <g> Thanks!
>
> Go on:) It's easy peasy:)) Let me know:)
> --

I will, thanks! :-)

I tend to cheat at the moment and use that folding microwave omelet
cooker I bought.

Ophelia

Mar 9, 2010, 9:40:43 AM3/9/10

> In article <7vn09o...@mid.individual.net>,
> "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > I'll have to practice that. <g> Thanks!
>>
>> Go on:) It's easy peasy:)) Let me know:)
>> --
>
> I will, thanks! :-)
>
> I tend to cheat at the moment and use that folding microwave omelet
> cooker I bought.

Well, it's not cheating, but it is unnecessary:)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2010, 9:46:15 AM3/9/10

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
snip

> FWIW, I have no problem with cheese in omelets. I do not like cheese in
> scrambled eggs.
Me too. Ick to cheese in scrambled eggs.
Janet

Mobistro

Mar 9, 2010, 7:32:24 AM3/9/10

Bent Attorney Esq.;1447990 Wrote:
> I fold mine the easier way. Eggs in the pan, get the stuff on top on
> to the sides and under. Place topping all over. Put lid on for a
> brief moment(although you can put it under the broiler for a sec)to
> melt cheese if any. Then take plate and slide omlette on it, folding
> it over using the pan. Some cooks like to fold it in the pan. One
> third over, then the other third, then slide it onto the plate. Also
> some restaurants(greasy spoons[it's OK to mention grease in this
> context]) do their omlettes on the grill, folding it a few times. One
> third over, then the other third, then the top half is folded, then
> the bottom half etc. Then it's put upside down on the plate. So it
> looks Kosher.
> Which do you prefer?

I like omelet and truly any way you serve. But you can search if you are
really looking to know about how to fold omelet. Try on Google you can
find both text description step by step, pictorial representation and
also can watch videos. You can have plain omelet or filling omelet,
depending on choice and accordingly you can fold.

--
Mobistro

George Leppla

Mar 9, 2010, 10:18:33 AM3/9/10

Tis is a case of changing tastes for me. I never used to like cheese
and eggs combines, but I do like omelets with some cheese in them... and
when we make breakfast burritos, I like some cheese in them.

I really jumped the shark a few years ago when we had breakfast in New
Orleans and I had an omelet with Swiss cheese. It was delicious and
became my new favorite.

George L

Michel Boucher

Mar 9, 2010, 10:30:41 AM3/9/10
George Leppla <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in news:hn5osv02bb6
@news7.newsguy.com:

> I really jumped the shark a few years ago when we had breakfast in New
> Orleans and I had an omelet with Swiss cheese. It was delicious and
> became my new favorite.

A restaurant down the street served omelettes with crumbled goat's milk
cheese and a dab of pesto in the middle, folded. Goat's milk cheese will
not turn oily as most hard cheeses do. I do this every now and then at
home but I prefer it without pesto as I'm not fond of the odour of garlic
in morning.

--

"The officer corps will forgive anything they can
understand, which makes intelligence the only sin."

Carnell, Blakes 7 episode 16

Ophelia

Mar 9, 2010, 10:40:21 AM3/9/10

"Michel Boucher" <Alsa...@g.mail.com> wrote in message

> George Leppla <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in news:hn5osv02bb6
> @news7.newsguy.com:
>
>> I really jumped the shark a few years ago when we had breakfast in New
>> Orleans and I had an omelet with Swiss cheese. It was delicious and
>> became my new favorite.
>
> A restaurant down the street served omelettes with crumbled goat's milk
> cheese and a dab of pesto in the middle, folded. Goat's milk cheese will
> not turn oily as most hard cheeses do. I do this every now and then at
> home but I prefer it without pesto as I'm not fond of the odour of garlic
> in morning.

Mushrooms sauted in butter and folded in is my favourite:)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

David Harmon

Mar 9, 2010, 11:43:00 AM3/9/10
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 15:16:53 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking, "Bent
Attorney Esq." <parkstre...@gmail.com> wrote,

>I fold mine the easier way. Eggs in the pan, get the stuff on top on
>to the sides and under. Place topping all over. Put lid on for a
>brief moment(although you can put it under the broiler for a sec)to
>melt cheese if any. Then take plate and slide omlette on it, folding
>it over using the pan. Some cooks like to fold it in the pan. One
>third over, then the other third, then slide it onto the plate.

The latter works for me. I cannot see how you can slide it onto the
plate while folding into thirds without dumping the contents all over.
If you cannot fold in thirds in the pan, you made it wrong (too thick.)

Ophelia

Mar 9, 2010, 11:59:01 AM3/9/10

"David Harmon" <sou...@netcom.com> wrote in message

Thirds? I only fold mine in half and it is very easy straight from the pan

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 2:19:51 PM3/9/10
In article <7vn59b...@mid.individual.net>,

> >> Go on:) It's easy peasy:)) Let me know:)
> >> --
> >
> > I will, thanks! :-)
> >
> > I tend to cheat at the moment and use that folding microwave omelet
> > cooker I bought.
>
> Well, it's not cheating, but it is unnecessary:)

But it is so quick! I nuke each half for 30 to 45 seconds. I'll have
to take a pic of a finished one and the toy when I get in the mood to
start doing photography again. Once I find a new job...

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 2:20:28 PM3/9/10
In article <bsCdnbTcFKCvwgvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

Oh I love it! You just incorporate it well.

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 2:23:29 PM3/9/10
In article <7vn8pt...@mid.individual.net>,
"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote:

This morning, I made dad an omelet filled with minced wild onion and
chopped white and shitake mushroom, and a little chopped chicken breast
with a liberal treatment of jack cheese. I topped it with a little dill
weed, msg and salt free lemon pepper.

He loved it. :-)

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2010, 2:59:10 PM3/9/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
snip

> This morning, I made dad an omelet filled with minced wild onion and
> chopped white and shitake mushroom, and a little chopped chicken breast
> with a liberal treatment of jack cheese. I topped it with a little dill
> weed, msg and salt free lemon pepper.
>
> He loved it. :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

How did that wild onion work out? I remember handling some when visiting in
TN and was surprised at the complex scent. It seemed very strong with
overtones of garlic?? ramp?? I'd be brave enough to try an omelet you
prepared, but not brave enough to try to use the wild onions myself.
Janet

Steve Pope

Mar 9, 2010, 3:04:50 PM3/9/10
Michel Boucher <Alsa...@g.mail.com> wrote:

> A restaurant down the street served omelettes with crumbled
> goat's milk cheese and a dab of pesto in the middle, folded.
> Goat's milk cheese will not turn oily as most hard cheeses do.
> I do this every now and then at home but I prefer it without
> pesto as I'm not fond of the odour of garlic in morning.

Recently while at a vacation rental, where we had a kitchen
but not many food ingredients on hand, we made scrambled
eggs with a high fraction of Chevre cheese. The result
was rich and delicious. Basically a micro-serving, one egg
each and several ounces of Chevre. Not something you want
a huge plate of.

Steve

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 4:20:50 PM3/9/10
In article <rcKdnTANB-UNNQvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

I've been cultivating the wild onions for over 20 years now and have
eaten many of them myself. :-) Yes, they have a slight garlicy overtone
which is partially what makes them so delicious. They more or less
cultivate themselves as a weed once you get them going so take little
care.

I sent sf some starts and I hope they came up for her! They tend to be
prolific and like a wet environment and tend to grow near the riverbanks
here. Mine do well near the outdoor water faucet.

They are fixin' to bloom here shortly so I harvested a bunch of them and
am going to share some with sis' and cook the rest. I'm going to google
on preservation to see if and how I can freeze some as the crop was good
this year due to all the recent rain.

They lose their flavor once they bloom. They will go dormant after
scattering the bulbules. I use them in recipes about November thru
mid-March. Some of them are unusually large this year as we have had
some really good winter rains. Good thing too as we are coming out of a
drought.

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 4:33:13 PM3/9/10
In article <ompomelet-55389...@news-wc.giganews.com>,
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > How did that wild onion work out? I remember handling some when visiting
> > in
> > TN and was surprised at the complex scent. It seemed very strong with
> > overtones of garlic?? ramp?? I'd be brave enough to try an omelet you
> > prepared, but not brave enough to try to use the wild onions myself.
> > Janet
>
> I've been cultivating the wild onions for over 20 years now and have
> eaten many of them myself. :-) Yes, they have a slight garlicy overtone
> which is partially what makes them so delicious. They more or less
> cultivate themselves as a weed once you get them going so take little
> care.

Ps, I got my original starts from some growing wild on the banks of a
small river in Georgetown Tx...

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2010, 4:38:16 PM3/9/10

> In article <rcKdnTANB-UNNQvW...@supernews.com>,
> "Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> snip
>> > This morning, I made dad an omelet filled with minced wild onion and
>> > chopped white and shitake mushroom, and a little chopped chicken breast
>> > with a liberal treatment of jack cheese. I topped it with a little
>> > dill
>> > weed, msg and salt free lemon pepper.
>> >
>> > He loved it. :-)
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om
>> >
>> How did that wild onion work out? I remember handling some when visiting
>> in
>> TN and was surprised at the complex scent. It seemed very strong with
>> overtones of garlic?? ramp?? I'd be brave enough to try an omelet you
>> prepared, but not brave enough to try to use the wild onions myself.
>> Janet
>
> I've been cultivating the wild onions for over 20 years now and have
> eaten many of them myself. :-) Yes, they have a slight garlicy overtone
> which is partially what makes them so delicious. They more or less
> cultivate themselves as a weed once you get them going so take little
> care.
snip> --
> Peace! Om

Treasure in your own back yard! I am especially fond of wild onions. A
while back, when my first grandson was just toddling, I was walking with him
in the back yard of my daughter's place. I spotted some wild onions, and as
I always do with a scented plant, I ran my hand over it, took a sniff and
held my hand out to my grandson and said 'onion.' Later that day, he took
his mom over to the plants, touched them, sniffed and told her 'onion.' Did
I burst with pride or what???
My gardening gene had been successfully passed on. ;o}
Janet

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 4:41:54 PM3/9/10
In article <r9adnTbWBZBXIgvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

A wonderful legacy... :-)

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 4:46:02 PM3/9/10
In article <r9adnTbWBZBXIgvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

Btw, here is a pic of the November small harvest. They have grown larger
since then and I've stopped harvesting as they are fixin' to bloom, and
that will be next years crop:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/InsalataCaprese111309#540390754257
6258850>

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2010, 5:07:50 PM3/9/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
snip>

> Btw, here is a pic of the November small harvest. They have grown larger
> since then and I've stopped harvesting as they are fixin' to bloom, and
> that will be next years crop:
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/InsalataCaprese111309#540390754257
> 6258850>
> --
> Peace! Om

Those are real beauties. I was picturing something a lot smaller.
Janet

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 5:44:50 PM3/9/10
In article <EZydndFfnMAlWwvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

That is the average size. :-) I had a few that were about 3 times that
size that got more water! They were beautiful this year.
Tasty little things.

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 5:45:33 PM3/9/10
In article <EZydndFfnMAlWwvW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

And, thank you! <g>

Chemiker

Mar 10, 2010, 7:58:33 PM3/10/10
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 20:59:40 -0600, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <hn4ce8$duq$1...@blue.rahul.net>,

> spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
>> Okay, but are you saying that an omelet tastes different
>> from scrambled eggs with the same ingredients? If so,
>> in what way?
>

>I have to agree with him. The ingredients mixed in with the eggs have a
>totally different effect than the eggs folding over a filling. :-)

Have to agree with OM.

Cultured scrambled eggs, Spanish omlette, frittata, or french
omelette.
Same ingredients, but they are all different. Spanish, frittata and
scrambles are heavier than the French omelette, and heavier in flavor
also. I love a good frittata and willl make cultured (Turkish
translation) eggs whenever it suits me. But for a Saturday brunch,
served with a finish of Strawberries and cream, and champagne, it WILL
be a French style omelette. Which I can make. So there!

Nyaa, nyaa!

Alex, who notes that the veggies in a frittata are cooked WITH the
eggs, while an omelete filling is not.

Chemiker

Mar 10, 2010, 8:02:41 PM3/10/10
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 15:40:21 -0000, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:

>"Michel Boucher" <Alsa...@g.mail.com> wrote in message
>> George Leppla <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in news:hn5osv02bb6
>> @news7.newsguy.com:
>>

>Mushrooms sauted in butter and folded in is my favourite:)
>--

Of course, that's sauteed in butter with a bit of thyme thrown in, or
do I miss something?

Alex

Omelet

Mar 9, 2010, 8:06:38 PM3/9/10
In article <fnfgp5hnvnbf6ks3s...@4ax.com>,
Chemiker <prussia...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Have to agree with OM.

Thank you. :-)

> Cultured scrambled eggs, Spanish omlette, frittata, or french
> omelette.
> Same ingredients, but they are all different. Spanish, frittata and
> scrambles are heavier than the French omelette, and heavier in flavor
> also. I love a good frittata and willl make cultured (Turkish
> translation) eggs whenever it suits me. But for a Saturday brunch,
> served with a finish of Strawberries and cream, and champagne, it WILL
> be a French style omelette. Which I can make. So there!
>
> Nyaa, nyaa!
>
> Alex, who notes that the veggies in a frittata are cooked WITH the
> eggs, while an omelete filling is not.

Which is the MAjor difference! Gives a totally different flavor and
texture experience.

Ophelia

Mar 10, 2010, 2:17:22 AM3/10/10

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Treasure in your own back yard! I am especially fond of wild onions. A
> while back, when my first grandson was just toddling, I was walking with
> him in the back yard of my daughter's place. I spotted some wild onions,
> and as I always do with a scented plant, I ran my hand over it, took a
> sniff and held my hand out to my grandson and said 'onion.' Later that
> day, he took his mom over to the plants, touched them, sniffed and told
> her 'onion.' Did I burst with pride or what???
> My gardening gene had been successfully passed on. ;o}

How lovely:))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Mar 10, 2010, 2:35:37 AM3/10/10

"Chemiker" <prussia...@verizon.net> wrote in message

errrr *cough* I expect so:) I am sure I shall NOT forget next time:)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

blake murphy

Mar 10, 2010, 3:15:48 PM3/10/10
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 19:06:38 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article <fnfgp5hnvnbf6ks3s...@4ax.com>,
> Chemiker <prussia...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Have to agree with OM.
>
> Thank you. :-)
>>
>> Cultured scrambled eggs, Spanish omlette, frittata, or french
>> omelette.
>> Same ingredients, but they are all different. Spanish, frittata and
>> scrambles are heavier than the French omelette, and heavier in flavor
>> also. I love a good frittata and willl make cultured (Turkish
>> translation) eggs whenever it suits me. But for a Saturday brunch,
>> served with a finish of Strawberries and cream, and champagne, it WILL
>> be a French style omelette. Which I can make. So there!
>>
>> Nyaa, nyaa!
>>
>> Alex, who notes that the veggies in a frittata are cooked WITH the
>> eggs, while an omelete filling is not.
>
> Which is the MAjor difference! Gives a totally different flavor and
> texture experience.

does no one else cook the 'filling' in the pan first, and then add the eggs
to the same pan? this is what i do (per irma in *joy of cooking*) when
using diced ham, mushrooms, onions or sweet pepper, etc. the filling seems
to magically rise when you add the eggs, (lifting the edges to let uncooked
egg into the bottom) so it ends up in the middle. cheese, shredded, goes
on top immediately upon adding the eggs. (i make a two-egg omelet in a
seven-inch stainless steel pan with about a tbls of butter for the whole
shebang. folded in half in the pan when done and it slides right out with
a little aid from the spatula.)

your pal,
blake

Ophelia

Mar 10, 2010, 3:23:03 PM3/10/10

"blake murphy" <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> does no one else cook the 'filling' in the pan first, and then add the
> eggs
> to the same pan?

yes I do, but we call this a Spanish Omlette or a Frittata!

this is what i do (per irma in *joy of cooking*) when
> using diced ham, mushrooms, onions or sweet pepper, etc. the filling
> seems
> to magically rise when you add the eggs, (lifting the edges to let
> uncooked
> egg into the bottom) so it ends up in the middle. cheese, shredded, goes
> on top immediately upon adding the eggs. (i make a two-egg omelet in a
> seven-inch stainless steel pan with about a tbls of butter for the whole
> shebang. folded in half in the pan when done and it slides right out with
> a little aid from the spatula.)
>
> your pal,
> blake

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

sf

Mar 10, 2010, 3:30:53 PM3/10/10
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:15:48 -0500, blake murphy
<blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

> does no one else cook the 'filling' in the pan first, and then add the eggs
> to the same pan?

Not me.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Omelet

Mar 10, 2010, 4:07:11 PM3/10/10
In article <e5jyzqtvim43.1e...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

> > Which is the MAjor difference! Gives a totally different flavor and
> > texture experience.
>
> does no one else cook the 'filling' in the pan first, and then add the eggs
> to the same pan? this is what i do (per irma in *joy of cooking*) when
> using diced ham, mushrooms, onions or sweet pepper, etc. the filling seems
> to magically rise when you add the eggs, (lifting the edges to let uncooked
> egg into the bottom) so it ends up in the middle. cheese, shredded, goes
> on top immediately upon adding the eggs. (i make a two-egg omelet in a
> seven-inch stainless steel pan with about a tbls of butter for the whole
> shebang. folded in half in the pan when done and it slides right out with
> a little aid from the spatula.)
>
> your pal,
> blake

I do cook the filling first except for the cheese but no, I do not cook
omelets that way. The filling is placed on top of the eggs and the eggs
are folded over it. The effect is totally different. I remove the
filling from the pan and reserve it.

blake murphy

Mar 11, 2010, 9:21:17 AM3/11/10
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:23:03 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

> "blake murphy" <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> does no one else cook the 'filling' in the pan first, and then add the
>> eggs
>> to the same pan?
>
> yes I do, but we call this a Spanish Omlette or a Frittata!

i thought a frittata was a little thicher (and typically with potatoes),
whcih is cut in wedges and served hot or cold. mine ends up looking like,
well, an omelet.

your pal,
blake

Ophelia

Mar 11, 2010, 9:28:35 AM3/11/10

"blake murphy" <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Yes, that is it, exactly. I was differentiating between one made of beaten
eggs, cooked in butter, filling on top and folded over. To me the others
consist of - whatever - and the eggs stirred in. If I use potatoes I call
it Spanish, if I use pasta, I call it Frittata.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Damaeus

Mar 11, 2010, 12:29:26 PM3/11/10
Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> posted:

> In article <nsabp5hqshngguug5...@4ax.com>,
> Damaeus <no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>
> > A nonstick pan seems crucial for turning an omelette, as well as a very
> > wide, very soft plastic spatula.
>
> Not too soft. I have two of them.

I've seen omelets cooked two ways. One cook on The Food Network showed
how he got his unturned omelete to slide around on a nonstick pan, then he
flipped it over in the air with a flick of his skillet. On the other
hand, The Frugal Gourmet would only cook his omelet on one side, then fold
it over. I don't like the idea of having partially-cooked egg in anything
I'm eating, and when there's still a little runniness in the omelet once
it goes on the plate, it's too undercooked for me.

But...if the egg has even a hint of browning, it's beyond the taste of
pleasantness.

Damaeus

sf

Mar 11, 2010, 1:54:30 PM3/11/10
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:29:26 -0600, Damaeus
<no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> I don't like the idea of having partially-cooked egg in anything
> I'm eating, and when there's still a little runniness in the omelet once
> it goes on the plate, it's too undercooked for me.

A nice thin omelet properly rolled can be a little moist on top when
you roll it. But the residual heat will have it completely cooked by
the time you get to the table to eat it.

> But...if the egg has even a hint of browning, it's beyond the taste of
> pleasantness.

Agreed. We walk a tightrope when we make omelets.

Giusi

Mar 11, 2010, 2:05:43 PM3/11/10

"blake murphy" ha scritto nel messaggio

> i thought a frittata was a little thicher (and typically with potatoes),
> whcih is cut in wedges and served hot or cold. mine ends up looking
> like,
> well, an omelet.

That's a Spanish frittata which is different to ours. IT's all a trick so
you won't know what you're eating.

O lived in Malta so her version would be more Italian.

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 3:38:34 PM3/11/10
In article <kr9ip55dia6rig5q0...@4ax.com>,
Damaeus <no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

As a general rule, that uncooked egg that remains in the center cooks
when you fold it over due to the heat by the time you plate it. Honest!
:-)

Ophelia

Mar 11, 2010, 3:52:08 PM3/11/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Exactly right!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Damaeus

Mar 11, 2010, 4:05:03 PM3/11/10
Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> posted:

> As a general rule, that uncooked egg that remains in the center cooks

> when you fold it over due to the heat by the time you plate it. Honest!
> :-)

Well, here's a question about lemon icebox pie. It's a flavor I love, but
I haven't eaten it in a long time because the pie isn't actually cooked.
The stuff under the meringue is nothing more than raw egg yolks, lemon
juice, and sweetened-condensed milk. People claim the lemon juice "cooks"
the egg yolks, but to me, the lemon juice does nothing more than
gelatinize it. There's no "cooking" going on. Does lemon juice kill
salmonella? Salmonella is killed by heat, not by lemon juice, to my
knowledge. What's the story here?

Now we have access to farm-fresh eggs from a woman who raises chickens.
She sells us eggs for $2.00 a dozen, though I'm skeptical of the green egg
one hen laid.

Damaeus

Omelet

Mar 11, 2010, 4:22:44 PM3/11/10
In article <qimip5ln1a7d8s3j2...@4ax.com>,
Damaeus <no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

The green eggs are simply the breed of bird! <lol> They are called
"easter egg chickens" or Aaracaunas. I used to have some. :-) The
shell color is genetic.

As for you eating raw eggs, that's up to you. I will not advise on
that. I personally have no problem with it if it's clean and kept
refrigerated.

ImStillMags

Mar 11, 2010, 4:25:10 PM3/11/10
On Mar 10, 12:15 pm, blake murphy <blakepmNOTT...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 19:06:38 -0600, Omelet wrote:
> > In article <fnfgp5hnvnbf6ks3sr9netelahmkqhs...@4ax.com>,
> blake- Hide quoted text -

Blake you make omelets the same way that I do....only I slide the
omelet on to the plate and then give it a little nudge
as it exits the pan to fold it over ;-)

ImStillMags

Mar 11, 2010, 4:30:25 PM3/11/10
On Mar 11, 1:22 pm, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <qimip5ln1a7d8s3j2b7vf7u5q4dns25...@4ax.com>,

>  Damaeus <no-m...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> > Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> > Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> posted:
> recfoodreci...@yahoogroups.com
> Subscribe: recfoodrecipes-subscr...@yahoogroups.com- Hide quoted text -

We had Aracauna hens too! They are feisty and cute and I loved the
various hues of green to green-blue of their egg shells.
Their eggs tend to be a bit smaller than the bigger Rhode Island Reds
and other egg layers, but they are just as tasty.

Message has been deleted

Damaeus

Mar 11, 2010, 7:17:02 PM3/11/10
Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> posted:

> On 11-Mar-2010, Damaeus <no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Well, here's a question about lemon icebox pie. It's a flavor I love, but
> > I haven't eaten it in a long time because the pie isn't actually cooked.
> > The stuff under the meringue is nothing more than raw egg yolks, lemon
> > juice, and sweetened-condensed milk. People claim the lemon juice "cooks"
> > the egg yolks, but to me, the lemon juice does nothing more than
> > gelatinize it. There's no "cooking" going on. Does lemon juice kill
> > salmonella? Salmonella is killed by heat, not by lemon juice, to my
> > knowledge. What's the story here?
>

> I have never seen an icebox pie with egg in it. We always used the recipe
> from an old Eagle Brand milk recipe card; that recipe can be found on the
> Eagle website and is quoted below.
>
> Ingredients
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1 1/2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
> 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
> 1 1/2 cups water
> 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
> 6 tablespoons pre-sweetened lemonade flavor drink crystal
> Instructions
> MELT butter in small saucepan; stir in wafer crumbs. Press firmly onto
> bottom and up sides of 9-inch pie plate; chill.
> SOFTEN gelatine in 1/4 cup water in small saucepan. Heat until dissolved
> over low heat; set aside.
> COMBINE sweetened condensed milk, remaining water and drink crystals in
> medium bowl; mix well. Stir in gelatin mixture.
> POUR into prepared crust. Chill 3 hours or until firm. Garnish as desired.
>
> Back in the olden days; the recipe called for frozen lemonade concentrate (6
> oz. can IIRC) instead of drink crystals.

I guess I'm from an older day than you. This looks more like the recipe
my grandmother would use, except we used four eggs, not just three, and we
didn't use cream of tartar, nor vanilla wafers. lol Just a plain graham
cracker crust:

LEMON ICEBOX PIE

1 can Eagle Brand milk
3 lemons
3 eggs, separated (save whites for meringue)
1 graham cracker crust
enough vanilla wafers to go around top of pie after filling
cream of tartar
granulated sugar

In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until creamy. Add milk and juice from
lemons (remove seeds first). I like adding a little extra lemon juice for
a kick.

Mixture will thicken on its own. Pour into graham cracker crust and
arrange vanilla wafers around top of crust.

To make meringue: Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add 2 teaspoons
cream of tartar. Mix well.

Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until desired sweetness. Pour over top
of filling and bake in 375°F oven until nice and brown. Allow to cool
before cutting.

*This was one of my mother's favorite pie recipes. Yes, it's fattening,
but oh so delicious. Hope you enjoy!

Submitted by: Rebecca Raley

From: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1737,135186-254193,00.html

Note that the recipe does call for cooking the pie long enough to brown
the meringue on top, but that certainly doesn't give the egg in it enough
time to cook. Plus, your recipe calls for cooking, and to me, that makes
it a Lemon Meringue Pie, which has a filling of a different mouth feel and
consistency than lemon icebox pie. The whole point, as I intuited, from
the "icebox" in the name, was that it didn't have to be cooked. When I
asked a few people about the issue with raw eggs, their response was that
the lemon juice is what cooks the eggs and makes it "set" into a filling
that can be cut, rather than dipped all drippy and such.

I like cream cheese, so this one from Emeril Lagasse sounds like a good
substitute without raw eggs that I will try:

Ingredients

* 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1 (14-ounce) can condensed milk
* 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoons lemon zest
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 prepared graham cracker crust

Directions

Combine the cream cheese, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla in a
large bowl. Mix on medium speed until smooth. Pour into the pie crust.
Refrigerate overnight.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/lemon-icebox-pie-recipe/index.html

I could just be falling for the paranoia. Could be that salmonella is in
many eggs, but maybe a few people who got sick from certain eggs caused
the rest of us to fear we could get sick too. I ate lots of lemon icebox
pie made with raw egg yolks when I was a kid, and while I did my share of
throwing up and having diarrhea as a kid, I never did link it to lemon
icebox pie made with raw eggs.

Damaeus

Damaeus

Mar 11, 2010, 8:01:49 PM3/11/10
Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> posted:

> Back in the olden days; the recipe called for frozen lemonade concentrate (6

> oz. can IIRC) instead of drink crystals.

Oh, there's a pretty good and very simple "pink lemonade pie" that I've
made before.

12oz Cool Whip
8oz Frozen (but thawed) Pink Lemonade
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 graham cracker crust

Whisk the first three ingredients together until smooth. I use a stand
mixer with the wire whisk. Pour it in the crust. The actual recipe says
to refrigerate it, but I like a firmer pie, so I actually keep mine in the
freezer. It has so much sugar and Cool Whip in it that it never does
really freeze so hard that you can't cut it unless you put it in the deep
freezer.

I'm going to try that again sometime using actual whipped cream instead of
cool whip. For something that comes out like whipped cream topping, why
don't they just use cream instead of water, corn syrup and hydrogenated
vegetable oil? (I got my info off the package, though Wiki differs), but
the package also lists the sodium caseinate, natural and artificial
flavors, gums, etc...

Wiki says:

*Cool Whip is made of water, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup,
hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oil (CPKO), sodium caseinate (a
milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums,
polysorbate 60 (glycosperse), and beta carotene.

To me Cool Whip doesn't actually appear to be food. But I wonder -- is
the "corn syrup" here the same thing that you can buy as Karo Corn Syrup?
I used to put that stuff on my pancakes as a kid...the light corn syrup,
which appears to be the base of many syrups, like Mrs. Butterworth's and
Log Cabin. I now top panackes with honey, or I'll use red plum jelly, or
sometimes I'll just have'em with butter.

Damaeus

koko

Mar 11, 2010, 8:31:54 PM3/11/10
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:29:26 -0600, Damaeus
<no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

I'm with you Damaeus, I can't even look at brown on an omelet. Here's
a post from my blog how I do it.

http://kokoscorner.typepad.com/mycorner/2008/08/how-i-make-an-omelet.html

or if you prefer.
http://tinyurl.com/yc2o8gk

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

Melba's Jammin'

Mar 11, 2010, 9:46:20 PM3/11/10
In article <qimip5ln1a7d8s3j2...@4ax.com>,
Damaeus <no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Well, here's a question about lemon icebox pie. It's a flavor I love, but
> I haven't eaten it in a long time because the pie isn't actually cooked.
> The stuff under the meringue is nothing more than raw egg yolks, lemon
> juice, and sweetened-condensed milk.

Heat kills salmonella. Use pasteurized eggs.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Bob Terwilliger

Mar 11, 2010, 10:19:33 PM3/11/10
Damaeus wrote:

"
> Well, here's a question about lemon icebox pie. It's a flavor I love, but
> I haven't eaten it in a long time because the pie isn't actually cooked.
> The stuff under the meringue is nothing more than raw egg yolks, lemon
> juice, and sweetened-condensed milk. People claim the lemon juice "cooks"
> the egg yolks, but to me, the lemon juice does nothing more than
> gelatinize it. There's no "cooking" going on. Does lemon juice kill
> salmonella? Salmonella is killed by heat, not by lemon juice, to my
> knowledge. What's the story here?

It's true that lemon juice won't kill salmonella. The salmonella statistic I
saw, though, said that one egg in 20,000 is contaminated, and those odds are
low enough that usually don't worry about it. But if you *are* worried about
it, many stores these days have whole pasteurized eggs which can be consumed
safely without cooking.

Bob

Damaeus

Mar 11, 2010, 10:43:38 PM3/11/10
Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> posted:

> In article <qimip5ln1a7d8s3j2...@4ax.com>,
> Damaeus <no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>

> > Well, here's a question about lemon icebox pie. It's a flavor I love, but
> > I haven't eaten it in a long time because the pie isn't actually cooked.
> > The stuff under the meringue is nothing more than raw egg yolks, lemon
> > juice, and sweetened-condensed milk.
>
> Heat kills salmonella. Use pasteurized eggs.

Then wouldn't a pasteurized egg be a hard-boiled egg? I don't think
hard-boiled/pasteurized eggs would work in a lemon icebox pie.

Damaeus

Damaeus

Mar 11, 2010, 10:44:24 PM3/11/10
Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> posted:

> It's true that lemon juice won't kill salmonella. The salmonella statistic I
> saw, though, said that one egg in 20,000 is contaminated, and those odds are
> low enough that usually don't worry about it. But if you *are* worried about
> it, many stores these days have whole pasteurized eggs which can be consumed
> safely without cooking.

/me runs to the internet to find out how to pasteurize an egg without
cooking it. -.-

Damaeus

Melba's Jammin'

Mar 11, 2010, 11:53:35 PM3/11/10
In article <v1ejp5luolm0eaedt...@4ax.com>,
Damaeus <no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

No. The pasteurization process for eggs is very specific; it involves
keeping the egg at a certain temperature for a certain length of time.
Al Sicherman, former staffer for the Minneapolis Star Tribune Taste
section wrote a story about it many years ago. The pasteurized egg
whites take longer to whip.

I used Bing.com to find this DIY article on pasteurizing eggs at home.
http://www.kitchenproject.com/BBQ/PasteurizedEggs.htm

sf

Mar 12, 2010, 12:08:31 AM3/12/10
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:31:54 -0800, koko <ko...@letscook.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:29:26 -0600, Damaeus

<snip>

> >But...if the egg has even a hint of browning, it's beyond the taste of
> >pleasantness.
> >
> >Damaeus
>
> I'm with you Damaeus, I can't even look at brown on an omelet. Here's
> a post from my blog how I do it.
>
> http://kokoscorner.typepad.com/mycorner/2008/08/how-i-make-an-omelet.html
>
> or if you prefer.
> http://tinyurl.com/yc2o8gk

I'm with you, koko, except I don't flip - I roll.

sf

Mar 12, 2010, 1:10:58 AM3/12/10
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:05:03 -0600, Damaeus
<no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Well, here's a question about lemon icebox pie. It's a flavor I love, but
> I haven't eaten it in a long time because the pie isn't actually cooked.
> The stuff under the meringue is nothing more than raw egg yolks, lemon
> juice, and sweetened-condensed milk. People claim the lemon juice "cooks"
> the egg yolks, but to me, the lemon juice does nothing more than
> gelatinize it. There's no "cooking" going on. Does lemon juice kill
> salmonella? Salmonella is killed by heat, not by lemon juice, to my
> knowledge. What's the story here?
>
> Now we have access to farm-fresh eggs from a woman who raises chickens.
> She sells us eggs for $2.00 a dozen, though I'm skeptical of the green egg
> one hen laid.

Is that what icebox pie is? So it's the recipe for key lime pie.
Huh. Living in the West, I'm not concerned about raw eggs. Maybe I
should be, but I'm not and I push my luck too. If you're back East, I
guess you need to be concerned.

Ophelia

Mar 12, 2010, 2:33:35 AM3/12/10

"Giusi" <deco...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I mentioned elsewhere that I call the one with the potatoes, Spanish Omlette
and pasta with the Fritatta:)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Mar 12, 2010, 2:31:45 AM3/12/10

"koko" <ko...@letscook.com> wrote in message

That is pretty much how I make mine. Don't know if you use a untensil to
get it out of the pan, but I just slide the front of mine on to the plate
and flip the back over the top.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Janet Bostwick

Mar 12, 2010, 8:59:24 AM3/12/10

"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message
I'm not familiar with the term Spanish Omlette. Or even Spanish Frittata.
What would be the ingredients for that. I'm picturing onion, tomatoes,
peppers???
Janet

Tracy

Mar 12, 2010, 9:04:37 AM3/12/10

Omelet wrote:

> The green eggs are simply the breed of bird! <lol> They are called
> "easter egg chickens" or Aaracaunas. I used to have some. :-) The
> shell color is genetic.
>
> As for you eating raw eggs, that's up to you. I will not advise on
> that. I personally have no problem with it if it's clean and kept
> refrigerated.

Do they taste any different?
Saw them at Whole Foods recently. (We were only there for the Maine
shrimp!)
My husband was so excited to see them. I mean, they're just eggs.

Are green/blue eggs more common in other countries? He's from Morocco.

-Tracy

Janet Bostwick

Mar 12, 2010, 9:06:01 AM3/12/10

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Thanks for that article. I've looked for years around here and haven't been
able to find pasteurized eggs. I have a recipe for French Silk pie that is
getting dusty in the file. I haven't made it in a long, long time because
of the raw egg thing. I may dust it off soon.
Janet

Omelet

Mar 12, 2010, 9:06:25 AM3/12/10
In article <7c6jp55ro45bhfst6...@4ax.com>,
koko <ko...@letscook.com> wrote:

> I'm with you Damaeus, I can't even look at brown on an omelet. Here's
> a post from my blog how I do it.
>
> http://kokoscorner.typepad.com/mycorner/2008/08/how-i-make-an-omelet.html
>
> or if you prefer.
> http://tinyurl.com/yc2o8gk
>
> koko

Nice picture series. :-) Would you like me to try to color correct that
plated photo with photoshop for you? Your caption seemed to indicate
you were not happy with it.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

Omelet

Mar 12, 2010, 9:24:43 AM3/12/10
In article <cbmjp5d5q95hldn6c...@4ax.com>,
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

Well, one can always just use boxed puddings... Not authentic, but it
works.

Ophelia

Mar 12, 2010, 9:45:34 AM3/12/10

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Heh I don't know what the right stuff is, but in a Spanish Omlette, I will
fry onions, add left over sliced potatoes (I often boil too many at another
meal to keep for this) and any veggies left over from a previous meal
(peppers are very good. I often add these raw). I might put in a bit of
kabanos or tomato.. etc I am sure you get the idea. When all is
heated/cooked through, I stirr in beaten eggs and allow it to set. I
usually put it under the grill at this point to brown. As blake has
mentioned, it is good cut into slices too and eaten cold with some sauce or
a with a salad.

Fritatta (mine) I use up leftover pasta and sauce (Italian) and cheese.
The method being the same as above:) Guisi and Vilco may care to comment on
this last:)

Basically, it is a mid week meal, using up leftovers, but adding whatever
fresh thing you fancy to jolly it up:))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Omelet

Mar 12, 2010, 10:12:42 AM3/12/10
In article <hndhmq$akj$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Tracy <kara...@bc.edu> wrote:

No, they don't taste any different. :-) They are just pretty!

An easter pic of one of my hens:

http://i41.tinypic.com/11gj23k.jpg

I do miss them sometimes. <sigh>

Melba's Jammin'

Mar 12, 2010, 10:22:31 AM3/12/10
In article <tKudnWu2Qt_U1wfW...@supernews.com>,
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > In article <v1ejp5luolm0eaedt...@4ax.com>,
> > Damaeus <no-...@damaeus.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> > No. The pasteurization process for eggs is very specific; it involves
> > keeping the egg at a certain temperature for a certain length of time.
> > Al Sicherman, former staffer for the Minneapolis Star Tribune Taste
> > section wrote a story about it many years ago. The pasteurized egg
> > whites take longer to whip.
> >
> > I used Bing.com to find this DIY article on pasteurizing eggs at home.
> > http://www.kitchenproject.com/BBQ/PasteurizedEggs.htm
>

> Thanks for that article. I've looked for years around here and haven't been
> able to find pasteurized eggs. I have a recipe for French Silk pie that is
> getting dusty in the file. I haven't made it in a long, long time because
> of the raw egg thing. I may dust it off soon.
> Janet

My recollection of the Al Sicherman article I mentioned above is that
the process for maintaining exactly the right temp for the time is
tricky. Frankly, Janet, I didn't but skim for keywords the link I
posted so I don't know what exactly they recommend誌ut I think I'll find
out. :-) Glad you found it helpful.

Michel Boucher

Mar 12, 2010, 11:12:13 AM3/12/10

>> I'm not familiar with the term Spanish Omlette. Or even Spanish
>> Frittata. What would be the ingredients for that. I'm picturing
>> onion, tomatoes, peppers???
>
> Heh I don't know what the right stuff is, but in a Spanish Omlette,

In Spain, at least in Andalucia, it is called a tortilla, and it usually
consists of egg and potato. It is served in bars as a tapa, on a thin
piece of bread. The only other tapa I recall (it has been 40 years) is a
sliver of Serrano ham also on a thin piece of bread. The good slivers had
a bit of fat on them :-)

--

"The officer corps will forgive anything they can
understand, which makes intelligence the only sin."

Carnell, Blakes 7 episode 16

Ophelia

Mar 12, 2010, 11:38:46 AM3/12/10

> "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote in
>
>>> I'm not familiar with the term Spanish Omlette. Or even Spanish
>>> Frittata. What would be the ingredients for that. I'm picturing
>>> onion, tomatoes, peppers???
>>
>> Heh I don't know what the right stuff is, but in a Spanish Omlette,
>
> In Spain, at least in Andalucia, it is called a tortilla, and it usually
> consists of egg and potato. It is served in bars as a tapa, on a thin
> piece of bread. The only other tapa I recall (it has been 40 years) is a
> sliver of Serrano ham also on a thin piece of bread. The good slivers had
> a bit of fat on them :-)

Yes I know, but I didn't want to complicate things further:)

Also I use it to feed my family, not to serve in bars:) What I don't know
is, how families make it.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

J. Clarke

Mar 12, 2010, 11:48:17 AM3/12/10

That looks yummy--got give it a try.

> That is pretty much how I make mine. Don't know if you use a untensil to
> get it out of the pan, but I just slide the front of mine on to the
> plate and flip the back over the top.

Anybody who wants to see how it's done might find the following two
videos of interest:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmvfUKwBrg>
<http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8109928>

Both are Julia Child showing how to make an omelet. The second makes
you sit through an ad, but it includes some explanations and exercises
the first doesn't. Anybody who hasn't seen Julia do it really should.

Michel Boucher

Mar 12, 2010, 12:03:15 PM3/12/10

> Also I use it to feed my family, not to serve in bars:) What I don't
> know is, how families make it.

Usually one person in the family is assigned the task of making the
tortilla on the grounds that too many cooks spoil the broth. I ate
tortilla at a bar below the pension where I lived. I assume it was cooked
the same way for the household of the tenancier as it was for the bar.

Here is one recipe (pretty much what I ate):

http://www.lemonvalleyholidays.com/Andalucian_Tapas/Spanish_potato_omelette
.htm

http://tinyurl.com/yawfeet

http://74.125.113.132/search?
q=cache:Ql6KW6zDh2sJ:www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Tortilla_de_patatas+A
ndalucia+classic+tortilla&cd=3&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=ca

http://tinyurl.com/y8a73xm

Ophelia

Mar 12, 2010, 12:12:01 PM3/12/10

"J. Clarke" <jclarke...@cox.net> wrote in message

> Anybody who wants to see how it's done might find the following two videos
> of interest:
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmvfUKwBrg>
> <http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8109928>
>
> Both are Julia Child showing how to make an omelet. The second makes you
> sit through an ad, but it includes some explanations and exercises the
> first doesn't. Anybody who hasn't seen Julia do it really should.

Good grief! I am much gentler in my omlette making than that!!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Default User

Mar 12, 2010, 12:51:33 PM3/12/10
Damaeus wrote:

> LEMON ICEBOX PIE
>
> 1 can Eagle Brand milk
> 3 lemons
> 3 eggs, separated (save whites for meringue)
> 1 graham cracker crust
> enough vanilla wafers to go around top of pie after filling
> cream of tartar
> granulated sugar

This is pretty close to a key lime pie made with lemons (which is a
good thing).

Brian

--
Day 402 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Message has been deleted

J. Clarke

Mar 12, 2010, 12:55:20 PM3/12/10

140F for 5 minutes kills salmonella. Egg proteins begin to unfold
significantly at 145. So you control the temperature very carefully.

sf

Mar 12, 2010, 1:19:56 PM3/12/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:45:34 -0000, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:

> Heh I don't know what the right stuff is, but in a Spanish Omlette, I will
> fry onions, add left over sliced potatoes (I often boil too many at another
> meal to keep for this) and any veggies left over from a previous meal
> (peppers are very good. I often add these raw). I might put in a bit of
> kabanos or tomato.. etc I am sure you get the idea. When all is
> heated/cooked through, I stirr in beaten eggs and allow it to set. I
> usually put it under the grill at this point to brown. As blake has
> mentioned, it is good cut into slices too and eaten cold with some sauce or
> a with a salad.

I make those but call them "torta", because that's how they were
introduced to me. I don't make them from leftovers. They are a
dinner item with ground meat, cubed potato and onion. I make them as
individual portions in my smallest cast iron pan, served flat with
chili sauce (American, tomato based) as a condiment.
http://www.saffola.com/chili.htm

It is loading more messages.