Zucchini glut (again)...

Jeßus

Jan 30, 2012, 5:12:43 PM1/30/12
Well, it's that time of year...

I have more zucchinis than I know what to do with once again.
The poultry and neighbour's pigs are happy about it of course, but I
struggle to come up with *new* ways to use them in the kitchen.

I'd be most interested to hear of any novel-yet-delicious ways to use
zucchini, if you have any. Thanks!

debbi...@aol.com

Jan 30, 2012, 5:34:51 PM1/30/12
I Can't Believe It's Zucchini!!

40 min | 15 min prep
SERVES 12

4 1/2 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
1/4 cup onions, chopped
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 cup margarine
8 ounces cream cheese
Breadcrumbs

Spread zucchini in a 9x13 inch glass casserole dish.
Sprinkle garlic salt over zucchini.
Microwave onions and margarine on high for 2 minutes.
Mix cream cheese with margarine/onion mixture until smooth.
Spread over zucchini.
Sprinkle crumbs over top and bake at 350' for 20-25 minutes.
Message has been deleted

debbi...@aol.com

Jan 30, 2012, 6:05:40 PM1/30/12
On Jan 30, 2:12 pm, Jeßus <n...@all.invalid> wrote:
Zucchini & Corn Cakes

Makes about 12 cakes
Active time: 40 min
Total time: 40 min
3 medium (1 1/2 lbs) zucchini, cored, seeded, shredded (about 5 cups)
2 ears of corn, shucked, kernels removed (about 2 cups)
2 green onions, trimmed, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 1/2 cups Bisquick biscuit baking mix
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Eggs
1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil, divided
You'll Need: Box grater
Blend zucchini, corn, onions, oregano, bisquick, salt, pepper,
eggs,
and water in large bowl until well-mixed. Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
in
large skillet or griddle on MEDIUM until oil faintly smokes. Drop 1/2
cup
batter onto large skillet and spread to form 3 to 4-inch pancake with
back
of spoon. Make 3 more pancakes. Cook about 3 min on first side, until
golden-brown. Turn over; cook 2 min. Transfer to serving plate; keep
warm.
Add 1 Tbsp oil before each new batch of pancakes. Repeat step 3 until
all
batter is used.

sf

Jan 30, 2012, 6:10:26 PM1/30/12
Most, if not all of the following recipes are untried by me but they
were interesting enough to save for later; so consider them "ideas"
about what to do rather than direct recommendations.

Zucchini Patties
http://southernfood.about.com/od/zucchinirecipes/r/blbb234.htm

Zucchini with Walnuts - Zucchini con Noci
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art15843.asp

Zucchini Cornbread
http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2009/09/zucchini-cornbread_20.html

Zucchini Whoopie Pies
http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2009/07/zucchini-whoopie-pies

Individual Zucchini Lemon and Ricotta Galettes
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Individual-Zucchini-Lemon-and-Ricotta-Galettes-350127

Zucchini Soufflé
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/dining/05minirex.html?src=me&ref=style

Zucchini sautéed with Harissa
by Giusi rec.food.cooking 8-11-2011

1/2 onion sliced
2 zucchini halved then sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon of Ranee's harissa recipe

Heat the oil and harissa and add the onions, then the zucchine. Saute
covered, occasionally stirring, until done to your taste.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Jim Elbrecht

Jan 30, 2012, 6:20:30 PM1/30/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:12:43 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.invalid> wrote:

Google the zucchini thread from the Northern Hemisphere summer-

I like treating them like the potato part of a latke.

To drain them, I grate [in a food processor so it takes no time] and
spread out on a 1/2 sheet pan and salt generously.

I pour the water off in an hour or so, then spread it out on a cotton
towel, and roll it up, squeezing the be-jeepers out of it.

Make a latke, then bake or broil some soft cheese into it-- garnish
with roasted red pepper.

Jim

Brooklyn1

Jan 30, 2012, 8:33:28 PM1/30/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:12:43 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.invalid> wrote:

Best way to use up a glut of zukes fast, grilled.

Don Martinich

Jan 30, 2012, 8:45:19 PM1/30/12

Pico Rico

Jan 30, 2012, 8:51:41 PM1/30/12

"Jeßus" <no...@all.invalid> wrote in message
pickle the small ones.

Janet Bostwick

Jan 30, 2012, 10:05:29 PM1/30/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:12:43 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.invalid> wrote:

This recipe from the Barefoot Contessa

Zucchini Pancakes

2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved
.
Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time:4
minLevel:EasyServes:10 (3-inch) pancakes.

Ingredients
2 medium zucchini (about 3/4 pound)
2 tablespoons grated red onion
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
6 to 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Unsalted butter and vegetable oil

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Grate the zucchini into a bowl using the large grating side of a box
grater. Immediately stir in the onion and eggs. Stir in 6 tablespoons
of the flour, the baking powder, salt, and pepper. (If the batter gets
too thin from the liquid in the zucchini, add the remaining 2
tablespoons of flour.)

Heat a large (10 to 12-inch) saute pan over medium heat and melt 1/2
tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil together in the pan. When the
butter is hot but not smoking, lower the heat to medium-low and drop
heaping soup spoons of batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes about 2
minutes on each side, until browned. Place the pancakes on a sheet pan
and keep warm in the oven. Wipe out the pan with a dry paper towel,
add more butter and oil to the pan, and continue to fry the pancakes
until all the batter is used. The pancakes can stay warm in the oven
for up to 30 minutes. Serve hot

janet us

Julian Vrieslander

Jan 30, 2012, 10:32:34 PM1/30/12
In article <jm7ei7l20cfhamp07...@4ax.com>,
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:12:43 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Well, it's that time of year...
> >
> > I have more zucchinis than I know what to do with once again.
> > The poultry and neighbour's pigs are happy about it of course, but I
> > struggle to come up with *new* ways to use them in the kitchen.
> >
> > I'd be most interested to hear of any novel-yet-delicious ways to use
> > zucchini, if you have any. Thanks!

Ughh.

IMNSHO, the best cure for a bumper crop of zucchini is an overflight of
a C-130 squadron, dropping a few tons of Agent Orange.
The horror. The horror.

--
Julian Vrieslander

sf

Jan 31, 2012, 12:12:38 AM1/31/12
It satisfied the "novel" criteria.

Giusi

Jan 31, 2012, 3:55:31 AM1/31/12

"Jeßus" <no...@all.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
> I'd be most interested to hear of any novel-yet-delicious ways to use
> zucchini, if you have any. Thanks!

I doubt there is much that is still novel, but one of the best I came up
with was zucchine bahjis. Very spicy fritters, in short. I was working on
a crisp cocktail snack when our season ended, so it's not ready, but it was
nice. Sort of tempura type batter with shredded zucchine cooked in flat,
lacy disks.
Try to rescue some at the blossom stage because those recipes are delicious.

ViLco

Jan 31, 2012, 5:49:44 AM1/31/12
I sometimes make this zucchine pie: boil or steam the zucchine and mix them
in a blender. Add about 1/4 of the zukes weight of bechamel. For example,
for 500 grams of zucchine mae a bechamel with 125 grams of milk. Add some
nutmeg and the cheese you prefer, I just use grated reggiano. Take care to
put some more cheese on top for some crispness and then bake for about 20
minutes at 350°F (180°C). If it hasn't yet developed a top crust, use the
oven broiler to obtain it.

Janet

Jan 31, 2012, 6:18:56 AM1/31/12
In article <jg8h09$7cu$1...@dont-email.me>, vill...@tin.it says...
Chocolate courgette cake (delish). This freezes well too.

http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/in:recipes/chocolate-courgette-cake/

Janet

The Cook

Jan 31, 2012, 7:59:32 AM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:12:43 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.invalid> wrote:

This you can make and freeze.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads

1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup zucchini -- grated
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups flour, bread
1 tablespoon basil, fresh -- chopped
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order
suggested by
the manufacturer. Set for Basic Bread cycle, or Normal setting.

If you don't have a bread machine, make it like you would any other
loaf of bread.

Source:
"http://bread.allrecipes.com/AZ/WhleWhtZucchiniHrbBrd.asp"
Yield:
"1 1/2 pounds"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

--
Susan N.

Jim Elbrecht

Jan 31, 2012, 8:05:16 AM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:55:31 +0100, "Giusi" <deco...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Oooh-- and don't forget to do fried, stuffed blossoms! The male
blossoms are useful, too.

Jim

Gary

Jan 31, 2012, 12:31:49 PM1/31/12
In 2006, I sent this to another cooking group:

Well, I looked in a few cookbooks for a recipe but didn't see anything that
liked so I just made up my own:

Zucchini Parmesan (?)

- 2.8 pounds zucchini (sliced about 1/2" thick")
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 medium tomato chopped
- 6 white mushrooms cut into bite-sized pieces (not sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped small
- 1/2 green pepper chopped to bite size
- 1 TBS dried basil

- 1 26oz can Hunts spaghetti sauce "Chunky Vegetable"
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs (looks like sand)
- 1/2 cup Kraft parmesan/romano cheese

Lightly oil a 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish. Spread a thin layer of spaghetti sauce
on
bottom then arrange a layer of sliced zucchini. Add 1/2 amount of onion,
tomato, green pepper, mushrooms, garlic, basil and mozzarella cheese. Add
more
spaghetti sauce.

Repeat this process for another layer of all. Then add remaining spaghetti
sauce. Top with the bread crumbs and parmesan/romano cheese.

Bake uncovered at 375 for 60 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and slighty
browned on top, then remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil. Let
this
sit for 30 more minutes.

Serve with garlic bread.

This meal is very similar to lasagna. The zucchini substitutes well for the
pasta. I might just add a few layers of ricotta cheese to this next time.
Otherwise, it's quite delicious as written!
Here's a pic of that.... http://i41.tinypic.com/25p0l8p.jpg

Gary

Gene

Jan 31, 2012, 1:04:08 PM1/31/12
"Jeßus" <no...@all.invalid> wrote in message
One of our favorites. Be careful with the serrano peppers, they can be hot.

Name: Zucchini with corn and chili peppers
Serves: 8

Source: Joy of cooking

Comments: Known in the Southwest and Mexico as calabacital, this side dish
also can be served as a vegetarian entree, accompanied by beans and
tortillas.

Ingredients:
3 TBS olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
2 lbs zucchini (diced)
2 cups corn kernals (canned or frozen)
3 anaheim or poblano peppers (roasted, skinned, seeded and chopped)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 serrano peppers (chopped. May want to seed one.)
salt and pepper to taste
Garnish:
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

Instructions:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Cook, onion and zucchini, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes.
3. Add corn, peppers, milk and salt. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.

gw

jmcquown

Jan 31, 2012, 1:11:30 PM1/31/12

"Jeßus" <no...@all.invalid> wrote in message
I love grilled zucchini! Brush it lightly with olive oil and sprinkle it
with some dried crushed basil, oregano or marjoram. Sprinkle with S&P if
desired. Grill indirectly and turn when the zucchini starts to brown. It
only takes a few minutes and is absolutely delicious. You can also stuff
zucchini. I've never made stuffed zucchini but I've seen a lot of recipes
for it.

Jill

sf

Jan 31, 2012, 1:20:04 PM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 07:59:32 -0500, The Cook <susan_...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> This you can make and freeze.
>

> Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Mmmm! Idea saved, thanks!

sf

Jan 31, 2012, 1:58:36 PM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:11:30 -0500, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> I love grilled zucchini!

But it's not novel, Jill... grilled zucchini is common. He wanted
something unusual.

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 31, 2012, 2:30:53 PM1/31/12
Gene wrote:

> Name: Zucchini with corn and chili peppers
> Serves: 8
>
> Source: Joy of cooking
>
> Comments: Known in the Southwest and Mexico as calabacital, this side dish
> also can be served as a vegetarian entree, accompanied by beans and
> tortillas.
>
> Ingredients:
> 3 TBS olive oil
> 1 medium onion (chopped)
> 2 lbs zucchini (diced)
> 2 cups corn kernels (canned or frozen)
> 3 anaheim or poblano peppers (roasted, skinned, seeded and chopped)
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 2 serrano peppers (chopped. May want to seed one.)
> salt and pepper to taste
> Garnish:
> 4 scallions, thinly sliced
> 2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
>
> Instructions:
> 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
> 2. Cook, onion and zucchini, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes.
> 3. Add corn, peppers, milk and salt. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.

Boy, that's quick and it sounds tasty. Ever tried topping it with cheese?

Bob

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 31, 2012, 2:33:21 PM1/31/12
Cold Cream of Zucchini and Watercress Soup

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/4 pounds zucchini, trimmed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
3 cups chicken stock
1 sprig thyme
1 cup packed watercress leaves
1 tablespoon minced parsley leaves
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
Watercress sprigs, tough stems removed, garnish
Chopped chives, garnish
Cheddar-Pecan Crackers, accompaniment, recipe follows

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and
cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 15 seconds.
Add the zucchini, salt, and pepper, and cook until tender. Add the stock
and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring
occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Add the watercress and let wilt, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat
and discard the thyme sprig.

With a hand-held immersion blender or in batches in a food processor,
puree the soup. Return to the heat and stir in the cream. Heat gently
and cook for 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, keeping in mind,
that salt is less evident in cold foods.

Let cool and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 to 6 hours.

Transfer to a large thermos. To serve, pour into double-handled cream
soup bowls or decorative cups. Swirl creme fraiche into each serving and
garnish with watercress sprigs and chives. Serve with cheese crackers.

Cheddar-Pecan Crackers:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
1 cup packed grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment
paper.
Into a bowl, sift together the flour, cayenne, and salt.

In another bowl, cream together the butter and cheese. Add the dry
ingredients and mix together. Fold in the pecans and sesame seeds. Drop
onto the baking sheet 1 teaspoon at a time, spreading gently to flatten
into rounds. Bake until golden and crisp around the edges, about 15
minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving, or serve at
room temperature.

Yield: about 1 dozen
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 31, 2012, 2:34:58 PM1/31/12
From Mark Bittman:

Cook a pot of short-grain rice. While it’s still hot, toss with raw
grated zucchini, fermented black beans, sriracha, sesame oil, sake and a
touch of rice vinegar. Add bits of leftover roast chicken or pork if you
have it, and pass soy sauce at the table.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 31, 2012, 2:37:33 PM1/31/12
On 1/30/2012 2:12 PM, Jeßus wrote:
I'm not sure where I got this recipe; I've had it for a long time on a
succession of computers. It's part of a file named "Moroccan Salads."

Zucchini, Onion, and Tomato Salad with Saffron and Cinnamon

A nice accompaniment to grilled sea bass, scallops or shrimp.

1 tablespoon olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
1 pound zucchini (about 4 medium), trimmed, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch
slices
2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
12 ounces tomatoes, cored, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini,
onions, garlic, cinnamon stick and saffron. Cover; cook until zucchini
is tender and onions are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 8
minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes, parsley and mint. Cool to
room temperature. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room
temperature.) Mix in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 4.

Bob

The Cook

Jan 31, 2012, 2:42:37 PM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:58:36 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:11:30 -0500, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>> I love grilled zucchini!
>
>But it's not novel, Jill... grilled zucchini is common. He wanted
>something unusual.

But do you know if it is common to him? I may have a dozen ways of
cooking something that you have never heard of and vice versa.

Steve Pope

Jan 31, 2012, 2:58:56 PM1/31/12
I have a zucchini-glut idea: recently I've made a couple batches of
caponata, consisting of mostly eggplant of course; but about 20%
yellow summer squash. It occurs to me one could leave out the eggplant
and just make the dish entirely with squash -- requiring less time to
cook, probably 10 to 15 minutes instead of 30.

The only ingredients would be squash, olive oil, garlic, capers,
tomato in some form, red wine vinegar.

The trick, I think, would be to infuse enough flavor without mushing
the squash too much.

Steve

jmcquown

Jan 31, 2012, 3:17:10 PM1/31/12

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:11:30 -0500, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I love grilled zucchini!
>
> But it's not novel, Jill... grilled zucchini is common. He wanted
> something unusual.
>
> --

Sorry, the best I can do is grilled or stuffed zucchini. Is it an
ingredient in gazpacho? There's zucchini lasagna, zucchini bread, stuffed
zucchini boats. It's zucchini. There's not much more to suggest.

Jill

sf

Jan 31, 2012, 4:32:29 PM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:42:37 -0500, The Cook <susan_...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:58:36 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:11:30 -0500, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I love grilled zucchini!
> >
> >But it's not novel, Jill... grilled zucchini is common. He wanted
> >something unusual.
>
> But do you know if it is common to him? I may have a dozen ways of
> cooking something that you have never heard of and vice versa.

In that case, why didn't he just say "give me anything you've got?

The Cook

Jan 31, 2012, 4:58:45 PM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:32:29 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:42:37 -0500, The Cook <susan_...@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:58:36 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>> >But it's not novel, Jill... grilled zucchini is common. He wanted
>> >something unusual.
>>
>> But do you know if it is common to him? I may have a dozen ways of
>> cooking something that you have never heard of and vice versa.
>
>In that case, why didn't he just say "give me anything you've got?

Well, since he didn't tell us what is the "usual" in his kitchen, that
is pretty much what he is getting.

Christine Dabney

Jan 31, 2012, 5:57:53 PM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:04:08 -0800, "Gene"
<genewill...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Comments: Known in the Southwest and Mexico as calabacital, this side dish
>also can be served as a vegetarian entree, accompanied by beans and
>tortillas.

Almost correct..;) It is called Calabasitas.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Jeßus

Jan 31, 2012, 7:43:32 PM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:12:43 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.invalid> wrote:

Wow, quite a few replies here, thanks very much everyone. I'll
read/reply to them all when I get more time, probably later today,
cheers.

Gene

Feb 1, 2012, 12:22:59 PM2/1/12
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
We have never tried it with cheese. Sounds like a good idea. Next time.

gw

Gene

Feb 1, 2012, 12:25:18 PM2/1/12
"Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
I stand corrected..;/

gw

Jeßus

Feb 1, 2012, 4:33:30 PM2/1/12
Fritters, patties, grilled, pickled, pancakes, pies, cakes... thanks
to everyone for all the great recipes. I can't say I don't have any
ideas now. Many thanks :)