Tassos Olives at Costco

Lou Decruss

Nov 20, 2011, 2:48:31 PM11/20/11

I've mentioned Tassos olives here recently and mentioned they were a
bit pricey. I've been paying $5.49 for a 13 oz. jar of the garlic
stuffed version and I love them.

We were in Costco yesterday and they had a 68.78 oz. jar for 10 bucks!
These are stuffed and/or double stuffed with jalapeno, garlic or red
sweet peppers. It looks like most are a double stuffed combination.
There's also pearl onions and thin slices of pepper in the jar. Almond
is in the ingredient list but I'm not sure what that's all about.
They come in a pretty cute jar that I'm not sure how to explain so I
took a picture. Sometimes Costco has some damn good deals.

http://i43.tinypic.com/29cx45s.jpg

Lou

Janet Bostwick

Nov 20, 2011, 3:01:24 PM11/20/11
Try the Italian olives. Pepperoncini, garlic, olives, onions, red
pepper, white wine m-m-m- I'll try the Tassos.
Janet US
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Janet Bostwick

Nov 20, 2011, 3:22:45 PM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:08:10 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:01:24 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> Try the Italian olives. Pepperoncini, garlic, olives, onions, red
>> pepper, white wine m-m-m- I'll try the Tassos.
>> Janet US
>
>If you're referring to the mezetta Napa Valley Bistro olives, they
>stopped carrying those here.
>
>-sw
Look again. They stopped at my store too and re-appeared in time for
the holidays. I was told they were one of those things that are
available for holiday season only. Stock up.
Janet US

sf

Nov 20, 2011, 3:27:46 PM11/20/11
Why not just get your olives from the olive bar at the grocery store?

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Mark Thorson

Nov 20, 2011, 3:47:50 PM11/20/11
Lou Decruss wrote:

> There's also pearl onions and thin slices of pepper in the jar. Almond
> is in the ingredient list but I'm not sure what that's all about.

Olives are sometimes stuffed with almonds.
Look more closely and you might find some
of those.

Lou Decruss

Nov 20, 2011, 3:58:13 PM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:47:50 -0800, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net>
wrote:
I didn't know that. I'm not in a rush to open the jar but I'll look
when I do. Thanks. I probably won't open it until the holidays.

Lou

Janet Bostwick

Nov 20, 2011, 4:50:28 PM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:27:46 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:22:45 -0700, Janet Bostwick
><nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:08:10 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>> wrote:

>> >If you're referring to the mezetta Napa Valley Bistro olives, they
>> >stopped carrying those here.
>> >
>> >-sw
>> Look again. They stopped at my store too and re-appeared in time for
>> the holidays. I was told they were one of those things that are
>> available for holiday season only. Stock up.
>
>Why not just get your olives from the olive bar at the grocery store?

Different choices of olives flavors/seasoning. I don't like getting
things from the bar. Too many hands, new stuff dumped on top of old
stuff, it's just too iffy for me.
I like having a jar waiting in storage for when I need it. That
doesn't happen if I buy from the bar.
Janet US

critters & me in azusa, ca

Nov 20, 2011, 4:58:36 PM11/20/11
Here in SoCal the olives in the olive bar(s) at the super's cost
between $8.00/lb to $10.99/lb. I buy them at an independent green
grocer for $3.99/lb.

Harriet & critters in rainy Azusa.

sf

Nov 20, 2011, 5:13:18 PM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:50:28 -0700, Janet Bostwick
<nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:27:46 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:22:45 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> ><nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

> >> Look again. They stopped at my store too and re-appeared in time for
> >> the holidays. I was told they were one of those things that are
> >> available for holiday season only. Stock up.
> >
> >Why not just get your olives from the olive bar at the grocery store?
>
> Different choices of olives flavors/seasoning. I don't like getting
> things from the bar. Too many hands, new stuff dumped on top of old
> stuff, it's just too iffy for me.

That doesn't bother me. Olives keep forever.

> I like having a jar waiting in storage for when I need it. That
> doesn't happen if I buy from the bar.

Okay. I guess the olive bar is so convenient that I don't care. I
always have a can or two of olives in the cupboard, but rarely bust
them out.

sf

Nov 20, 2011, 5:15:53 PM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:58:36 -0800 (PST), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
<queen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here in SoCal the olives in the olive bar(s) at the super's cost
> between $8.00/lb to $10.99/lb. I buy them at an independent green
> grocer for $3.99/lb.

Yes, they're expensive - but the variety is much better than at the
green grocer's.

Julie Bove

Nov 20, 2011, 5:21:31 PM11/20/11

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:50:28 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:27:46 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>> >Why not just get your olives from the olive bar at the grocery store?
>>
>> Different choices of olives flavors/seasoning. I don't like getting
>> things from the bar. Too many hands, new stuff dumped on top of old
>> stuff, it's just too iffy for me.
>
> That doesn't bother me. Olives keep forever.

No they don't. My olive bad says 2-3 days not in brine. Up to two weeks in
brine.

>> I like having a jar waiting in storage for when I need it. That
>> doesn't happen if I buy from the bar.
>
> Okay. I guess the olive bar is so convenient that I don't care. I
> always have a can or two of olives in the cupboard, but rarely bust
> them out.

I never buy from the olive bar any more. For some reason they make me sick.

BillyZoom

Nov 20, 2011, 5:23:45 PM11/20/11
Of course they do.

sf

Nov 20, 2011, 5:37:21 PM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:21:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> I never buy from the olive bar any more. For some reason they make me sick.

Leave it to you to get sick and blame the olives.

Dave Smith

Nov 20, 2011, 5:37:48 PM11/20/11
On 20/11/2011 4:50 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Different choices of olives flavors/seasoning. I don't like getting
> things from the bar. Too many hands, new stuff dumped on top of old
> stuff, it's just too iffy for me.
> I like having a jar waiting in storage for when I need it. That
> doesn't happen if I buy from the bar.

Giver the superior taste of olives from a deli or a grocery store olive
bar I will risk a few germs. I never liked olives when the only way to
get them was in a can or a jar. Canned black olives are especially
horrible compared to nice ripe olives at an olive bar.

Dave Smith

Nov 20, 2011, 6:12:49 PM11/20/11
On 20/11/2011 5:37 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:21:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>

>> I never buy from the olive bar any more. For some reason they make me sick.
>>
> Leave it to you to get sick and blame the olives.

Excuse me while I have a Sheldon moment.... but it was probably the
result of her husband fingering her after porking our on turkey legs
and not washing his hands.

sf

Nov 20, 2011, 6:24:15 PM11/20/11
Ick! Go wash your brain.

gloria.p

Nov 20, 2011, 6:29:54 PM11/20/11
If they are a holiday item, look for them with the Christmas foods near
the deli meat and cheese section.

gloria p

Janet Bostwick

Nov 20, 2011, 6:37:01 PM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 16:29:54 -0700, "gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net>
wrote:
In my store they are in among all the rest of the olives. I am only
telling what I was told about seasonable availability. Perhaps some
of you have gigantis stores where they carry everything all the time.
Not so mine. We have seasons.
Janet US

Janet Bostwick

Nov 20, 2011, 6:40:59 PM11/20/11
I'm not talking about black olives, nor the Spanish pimento stuffed
ones. How long do the olive bar olives keep for you? Do you eat them
all right away, say in 2-3 days or do you keep them longer?
Janet US
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dave Smith

Nov 20, 2011, 7:20:49 PM11/20/11
On 20/11/2011 6:40 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> Okay. I guess the olive bar is so convenient that I don't care. I
>> always have a can or two of olives in the cupboard, but rarely bust
>> them out.
>
> I'm not talking about black olives, nor the Spanish pimento stuffed
> ones. How long do the olive bar olives keep for you? Do you eat them
> all right away, say in 2-3 days or do you keep them longer?
> Janet US

We usually have them for at least a week, sometime two or three.

Nancy Young

Nov 20, 2011, 9:08:48 PM11/20/11
On 11/20/2011 7:04 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> an olive afficianado. I'm sorry, but too many of here posts just
> wreak of "I'm an idiot".

Wreak?

nancy
Message has been deleted

Nancy Young

Nov 20, 2011, 9:31:11 PM11/20/11
On 11/20/2011 9:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> What is it with the damn grammar police lately? It's getting harder
> for me to think and type, so excuse the fuck out of me, OK?
>
> Take what you can get, and leave what you don't want. Just do it
> quietly.

Well, you know when you call someone stupid, you want to avoid
misspellings, etc. When did you become so touchy, anyway?

nancy

sf

Nov 20, 2011, 9:58:40 PM11/20/11
I've had mine for at least two weeks, maybe longer. I just munch on
one or two and then leave them alone for days. I keep them in the
refrigerator, so maybe that'd what makes a difference.
Message has been deleted

Janet Bostwick

Nov 20, 2011, 10:42:53 PM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:42:59 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:22:45 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:08:10 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>If you're referring to the mezetta Napa Valley Bistro olives, they
>>>stopped carrying those here.
>>>
>> Look again. They stopped at my store too and re-appeared in time for
>> the holidays. I was told they were one of those things that are
>> available for holiday season only. Stock up.
>
>I did just now. They don't have them. And they haven't had them for
>6 months or so. I have to buy the Mezzetta Antipasta at Walmart if I
>want them. But I buy the garlic and jalapeno stuffed "bistro" olives
>at HEB.
>
>-sw
I'm sorry. In light of your difficulties I am going to buy extra and
just hope that they come back next year. A comment that I made to the
guy up front that reads the computer data elicited the direction that
I should go to Costco.com and write about it in the customer comment
section. You might try that.
Janet US

Julie Bove

Nov 20, 2011, 11:07:37 PM11/20/11

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Ack! That should say bar. Not bad. Although my olive bar must be bad
since I get sick from the olives there. And I don't get sick from jarred
olives.

<snip>

Julie Bove

Nov 20, 2011, 11:08:12 PM11/20/11

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:21:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>

>> I never buy from the olive bar any more. For some reason they make me
>> sick.
>>
> Leave it to you to get sick and blame the olives.

Well it's not hard to figure that out. Eat them and two hours later
throwing up? That doesn't happen with jarred olives.

Julie Bove

Nov 20, 2011, 11:08:38 PM11/20/11

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
You are beyond disgusting.

Message has been deleted

Storrmmee

Nov 21, 2011, 7:54:54 AM11/21/11
i really don't care for most bulk food offerings because too many kids take
a bite and mom puts it back, Lee
"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:27:46 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:22:45 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>><nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

>>> Look again. They stopped at my store too and re-appeared in time for
>>> the holidays. I was told they were one of those things that are
>>> available for holiday season only. Stock up.
>>
>>Why not just get your olives from the olive bar at the grocery store?
>
> Different choices of olives flavors/seasoning. I don't like getting
> things from the bar. Too many hands, new stuff dumped on top of old
> stuff, it's just too iffy for me.
> I like having a jar waiting in storage for when I need it. That
> doesn't happen if I buy from the bar.
> Janet US

Storrmmee

Nov 21, 2011, 7:55:58 AM11/21/11
the exposure to too many germs and air imho, the concept turns my stomach,
Lee
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:50:28 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>> <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

>>> Different choices of olives flavors/seasoning. I don't like getting
>>> things from the bar. Too many hands, new stuff dumped on top of old
>>> stuff, it's just too iffy for me.
>>
>> That doesn't bother me. Olives keep forever.
>
> No they don't. My olive bad says 2-3 days not in brine. Up to two weeks
> in brine.
>>
>>> I like having a jar waiting in storage for when I need it. That
>>> doesn't happen if I buy from the bar.
>>
>> Okay. I guess the olive bar is so convenient that I don't care. I
>> always have a can or two of olives in the cupboard, but rarely bust
>> them out.

Storrmmee

Nov 21, 2011, 8:00:07 AM11/21/11
since people quit tolerating his abuse by calling him out on his mistakes,
Lee
"Nancy Young" <email@replyto> wrote in message

Lou Decruss

Nov 21, 2011, 11:04:13 AM11/21/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:52:39 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:07:22 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:48:31 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> We were in Costco yesterday and they had a 68.78 oz. jar for 10 bucks!
>>
>> I've been tempted to buy those, I think they offer 28-32oz jars for
>> $6-something here. But since I'm heading there in a few minutes to
>> return something...
>
>Here is the jar I bought at CostCo just now. Along with 2 other jars I
>purchased today (Lou made me do it!). The one on the right is World
>Market brand.
>
>http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/654/oliveproducts.jpg
>
>The cost was $6.59 for a liter jar (36.25 ounces). I searched for the
>holiday jar but they didn't have them.
>
>With these, plus the 1.5 jars of Napa Valley Bistro olives and a kilo
>of Kalamata olives, I think I have enough olive products for the rest
>of the year.

Nice collection. I hope you like the Tassos as much as I do.

Lou

Dan Abel

Nov 21, 2011, 11:20:50 AM11/21/11
In article <1014l26l8jp6r$.d...@sqwertz.com>,
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> I have better connections at mezzetta.com :-) I know I was buying the
> olives there up until at least June. They do already have three other
> brands of non-refrigerated olives in that section, so maybe they have
> to spread them out to different stores.
>
> Looking at what other people get at their local CostCos across the US,
> I'm surprised that CostCo carries so many different brands of very
> similar, if not the same, items.

Costco does some local buying, especially for perishables. My sister
lives about 900 miles away, and we often compare Costco items.
Sometimes the taste is considerably different. The pickled asparagus is
quite different. One is quite spicy, the other isn't. And one is from
South America, so that isn't local.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Lou Decruss

Nov 21, 2011, 12:15:41 PM11/21/11
Costco is a well run organization and they are very good at bringing a
deal to the shelves. There's 7-8 here in the Chicago area and they
have different items. There's one close to the mcdonalds headquarters
and in a very upscale area. The one closest to me is in a more middle
class area and has different things. Most of what I see is the
seasonal stuff.

Lou
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

tdcrest...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2016, 8:44:36 PM2/10/16
The best Tasso's are the whole jar of either pimiento stuffed or Jalapeño. Their olives are much lower in sodium than the usual ones, but lately Costco in my area hasn't been carrying them. So sad.

pamela...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2017, 1:47:50 AM10/9/17
On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 6:44:36 PM UTC-7, tdcrest...@gmail.com wrote:
> The best Tasso's are the whole jar of either pimiento stuffed or Jalapeño. Their olives are much lower in sodium than the usual ones, but lately Costco in my area hasn't been carrying them. So sad.

I totally agree!

Bruce

Oct 9, 2017, 2:01:14 AM10/9/17
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 22:47:47 -0700 (PDT), pamela...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 6:44:36 PM UTC-7, tdcrest...@gmail.com wrote:
>> The best Tasso's are the whole jar of either pimiento stuffed or Jalapeño. Their olives are much lower in sodium than the usual ones, but lately Costco in my area hasn't been carrying them. So sad.
>
>I totally agree!

But you did have to think about it for a while first!

mjdie...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2018, 11:24:57 PM1/17/18
I have looked for them since buying som around Christmas. My Costco only carries them during the holidays!😩

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 18, 2018, 10:20:44 AM1/18/18
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 20:24:50 -0800 (PST), mjdie...@gmail.com wrote:

>I have looked for them since buying som around Christmas. My Costco only carries them during the holidays!?

correct. Tassos olives or roasted peppers show up only at the
holidays.
Janet US

Sqwertz

Jan 18, 2018, 8:12:09 PM1/18/18
On 1/18/2018 5:57 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Our Costcos carry the Tassos double-stuffed olives year round.

>> Omelet wrote:
>
>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...
>
> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 18, 2018, 10:40:44 PM1/18/18
On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 18:57:02 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:
>Our Costcos carry the Tassos double-stuffed olives year round. Then
>they also add a fancy assortment bottle. This was their offering last
>month - a 5-pound bottle:
>
>https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/01/18/burger-king-launches-new-double-quarter-pound-burger-today/1043405001/
>
>-sw

last month was the holiday season. I only see Tassos around Christmas
season at Costco. I thought you told me it was the same for you when
discussing the roasted peppers. I didn't like the bottle of fancy
assorted olives at all. Odd taste I thought.
P.S. your link leads to USAToday
Janet US

Sqwertz

Jan 19, 2018, 5:04:42 PM1/19/18
On 1/19/2018 1:01 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Don't know where my browser clipboard picked up the USAToday link
> <shrug>.

casa de los sueños

Jan 20, 2018, 7:25:25 AM1/20/18
My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me.