Re: Lay's $1,000,000 potato chip flavor!

Message has been deleted

Chemo

Aug 21, 2012, 2:36:39 PM8/21/12
On Aug 21, 11:15 am, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:
> Lay's $1,000,000 potato chip flavor!
>
> Lay's in a contest is seeking out then next flavor for their potato chips,
> with the winning flavor getting a $1,000,000 prize!!!
>
> No entry or judging details were mentioned, other then visit them on
> facebook.
>
> They'll probably get 1,000,000 entries! I know they're not going to create
> chips in all flavors. Rather pick a winning entry "out of a hat."
>
> While $1,000,000 IS a tidy sum, the contest seems somewhat contrived.
>
> One suggested flavor I thought was a good idea "Thanksgiving Dinner" chips!
>
> I submit: Lay's "Peeps in Chips"
> I feel the world is ready for a sweet chip.
>
> Andy

I'm surprised you didn't submit a Bud-Lite flavor.

merryb

Aug 21, 2012, 2:48:34 PM8/21/12
How about Sloppy Joe flavored?

Chemo

Aug 21, 2012, 3:03:37 PM8/21/12
Now yer talkin' !!

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Aug 21, 2012, 10:42:26 PM8/21/12
In article <XnsA0B690...@216.196.97.131>, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:

> Lay's $1,000,000 potato chip flavor!
>
> Lay's in a contest is seeking out then next flavor for their potato chips,
> with the winning flavor getting a $1,000,000 prize!!!
>
> No entry or judging details were mentioned, other then visit them on
> facebook.
>
> They'll probably get 1,000,000 entries! I know they're not going to create
> chips in all flavors. Rather pick a winning entry "out of a hat."
>
> While $1,000,000 IS a tidy sum, the contest seems somewhat contrived.
>
> One suggested flavor I thought was a good idea "Thanksgiving Dinner" chips!
>
> I submit: Lay's "Peeps in Chips"
> I feel the world is ready for a sweet chip.
>
> Andy

I don't do Facebook so I can't enter, but if I were in charge of Lays, I'd
invent potato chips that were bacon (and eggs) flavored and create a new niche
market in breakfast chips.

Posted here and I claim all copyright, trademark and servicemark rights to any
product derived from this post or ideas contained herein
Message has been deleted

Brooklyn1

Aug 22, 2012, 2:09:22 PM8/22/12
Andy wrote:

>I facebooked for a few weeks a long time ago. I couldn't adjust to the
>phenomenon.
>
>The only friend I ever made was the local FOX news weather wonder woman.
>
>A no chance endeavor.

You missed an opportunity with Maria Molina... Andy, what's wrong with
you?
http://media.mademan.com/chickipedia/uploaded_photos/e/e2/maria-molina-147802_thumb_585x795.jpeg

Chemo

Aug 22, 2012, 2:14:41 PM8/22/12
Message has been deleted

Jean B.

Aug 22, 2012, 8:39:21 PM8/22/12
Bacon-flavored chips have been done. I think you first have to
see what exists, e.g., in the UK. They have some interesting
flavors there.

--
Jean B.

Brooklyn1

Aug 22, 2012, 10:17:39 PM8/22/12
I like potato chips a lot and I've tried many of the flavored ones but
of all I tried I'd not buy any again... the seasoning always
completely overwhelms the potato chip flavor. I like plain potato
chips... for me the choice is between classic cut and ripple cut, I
like both equally. The lo/no salt chips are just stupid. I don't
like dips with potato chips, I like them plain. I think the
$1,000,000.00 winner should be plain potato chips with a real potato
flavor.

tert in seattle

Aug 22, 2012, 11:28:59 PM8/22/12
it would be awesome if they could invent an artificial potato flavor
that could be added to potato chips ... they could call it artificially
plain flavored potato chips

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2012, 2:32:03 AM8/23/12

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
I usually prefer plain ones. I once ate BBQ ones and actually liked them.
I must have been really hungry or something. I haven't liked them since. I
do like the lime ones but can only eat a few at a time. Potato chips are
not my favorite though. I prefer corn chips.

Michael OConnor

Aug 23, 2012, 6:32:50 AM8/23/12
On Aug 22, 10:17 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:39:21 -0400, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:
> >Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
I don't like a lot of seasoning on chips. I did get these salt and
pepper chips one time and those were good. My favorite of the
seasoned chips are probably the Miss Vickie's Jalapeno Chips; I don't
care for BBQ or French Onion chips.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Brooklyn1

Aug 23, 2012, 9:26:33 AM8/23/12
Maybe they already do. Most folks have never tasted a fresh dug
potato... they lose their earthy flavor and aroma fast. My next door
neighbor grows potatoes and always brings me some as soon as he
harvests them, I eat them that day as soon as possible. I found the
best way to cook those potatoes that preserves their earthiness is to
simmer them in their skins, then I smush them and eat them plain with
just a little salt. He harvests them as new potatoes so they are
small and thin skinned. As soon as they're smushed the aroma is
potent, like wild mushrooms. Since my neighbor only grows a small
plot of potatoes and he shares with other people I get like two
pounds, I eat them all in one sitting, my once a year fix. He grows
onions and garlic too so I get some of that harvest also. He gets the
produce I grow that he doesn't; winter squash, cabbage, hot peppers,
and whatever else I have to share.

Ema Nymton

Aug 23, 2012, 1:39:26 PM8/23/12
On 8/23/2012 8:25 AM, Andy wrote:
> Thinking about it, if it doesn't exist already, sweet potato should win the
> day.

Potato, corn and plantain chips are my favorite, but I can not remember
if I ever had sweet potato chips. I have had cassava and beetroot chips.

Becca

Brooklyn1

Aug 23, 2012, 2:19:42 PM8/23/12
Andy wrote:
> Thinking about it, if it doesn't exist already, sweet potato should win the
> day.

Have you ever eaten a California potato chip?

George M. Middius

Aug 23, 2012, 3:31:18 PM8/23/12
Andy wrote:

> Correction Hawiian!!!

So correct it already. How many tries do you need?

Chemo

Aug 23, 2012, 3:35:48 PM8/23/12
at least six.
Message has been deleted

George M. Middius

Aug 23, 2012, 4:08:12 PM8/23/12
Andy wrote:

> >> Correction Hawiian!!!
> >
> > So correct it already. How many tries do you need?

> You're such a Usenet nuisance.
> Grow up.

Seven words without a typo. You're making progress. Good boy!

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2012, 5:10:04 PM8/23/12

"Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:XnsA0B85F8...@216.196.97.131...
> Thinking about it, if it doesn't exist already, sweet potato should win
> the
> day.

It exists.

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2012, 5:10:34 PM8/23/12

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
Avocado?

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2012, 5:11:40 PM8/23/12

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
I saw a show about this. They showed how tender the skin was when freshly
dug and how quickly it toughened up as it sat there.

Message has been deleted

Chemo

Aug 23, 2012, 6:45:00 PM8/23/12
On Aug 23, 3:44 pm, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:
> George M. Middius <glanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Geogie girl,
>
> I've been here for over 15 years.
>
> You are a newbie nuisance here and typically over-exposed.
> Andy

How can you have been here for 15 years when you're only 12?

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Aug 23, 2012, 11:18:20 PM8/23/12
In article <a9lce1...@mid.individual.net>, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

> > I don't do Facebook so I can't enter, but if I were in charge of Lays, I'd
> > invent potato chips that were bacon (and eggs) flavored and create a new
> > niche
> > market in breakfast chips.
> >
> > Posted here and I claim all copyright, trademark and servicemark rights to
> > any
> > product derived from this post or ideas contained herein
>
> Bacon-flavored chips have been done. I think you first have to
> see what exists, e.g., in the UK. They have some interesting
> flavors there.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Okay, molasses flavored breakfast chips (with or without bacon)

Maybe go ethnic and have a Lox flavored one

Cheryl

Aug 23, 2012, 11:53:41 PM8/23/12
> In article <XnsA0B690...@216.196.97.131>, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:
>
>> Lay's $1,000,000 potato chip flavor!
>>
>> Lay's in a contest is seeking out then next flavor for their potato chips,
>> with the winning flavor getting a $1,000,000 prize!!!
>>
>> No entry or judging details were mentioned, other then visit them on
>> facebook.
>>
>> They'll probably get 1,000,000 entries! I know they're not going to create
>> chips in all flavors. Rather pick a winning entry "out of a hat."
>>
>> While $1,000,000 IS a tidy sum, the contest seems somewhat contrived.
>>
>> One suggested flavor I thought was a good idea "Thanksgiving Dinner" chips!
>>
>> I submit: Lay's "Peeps in Chips"
>> I feel the world is ready for a sweet chip.
>>
>> Andy
>
> I don't do Facebook so I can't enter, but if I were in charge of Lays, I'd
> invent potato chips that were bacon (and eggs) flavored and create a new niche
> market in breakfast chips.
>
> Posted here and I claim all copyright, trademark and servicemark rights to any
> product derived from this post or ideas contained herein

That might not be bad if you can reconstitute them in oil and butter.

Cheryl

Aug 23, 2012, 11:58:18 PM8/23/12
After the thread about popcorn flavoring, I made a bag and seasoned it
with just a touch of Old Bay.

I'm with Shel about just plain potato chips though.

Cheryl

Aug 24, 2012, 12:00:50 AM8/24/12
I've never tried kale chips. I keep seeing them on cooking shows and
mean to try them sometime.

jmcquown

Aug 24, 2012, 9:32:19 AM8/24/12
On 8/22/2012 10:17 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:39:21 -0400, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
>> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

>>> I don't do Facebook so I can't enter, but if I were in charge of Lays, I'd
>>> invent potato chips that were bacon (and eggs) flavored and create a new niche
>>> market in breakfast chips.
>>>
>>> Posted here and I claim all copyright, trademark and servicemark rights to any
>>> product derived from this post or ideas contained herein
>>
>> Bacon-flavored chips have been done. I think you first have to
>> see what exists, e.g., in the UK. They have some interesting
>> flavors there.
>
> I like potato chips a lot and I've tried many of the flavored ones but
> of all I tried I'd not buy any again... the seasoning always
> completely overwhelms the potato chip flavor. I like plain potato
> chips... for me the choice is between classic cut and ripple cut, I
> like both equally. The lo/no salt chips are just stupid. I don't
> like dips with potato chips, I like them plain. I think the
> $1,000,000.00 winner should be plain potato chips with a real potato
> flavor.

Ah! Like Dirty Potato Chips. http://www.dirtys.com/

(They used to be made in Memphis, I have no idea where they make them
now.) Their marketing gimmick was they didn't rinse the potato slices
before frying them so they tasted like... wait for it... potatoes! The
plain lightly salted chips were really good. Like you, I don't care for
a bunch of seasonings on potato chips. Ripple cut chips bug me. I
can't explain why other than to say it's akin to hearing fingernails
scraping on a chalk board. They just set my teeth on edge.

Jill

Jean B.

Aug 27, 2012, 12:22:37 AM8/27/12
I see your point, but I still really like Buffalo Blue chips and a
few others.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Aug 27, 2012, 12:24:09 AM8/27/12
I really don't like the sound of that first one.

--
Jean B.

Julie Bove

Aug 27, 2012, 12:52:46 AM8/27/12

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message
I have entered that contest several times now but can't seem to come up with
something that somebody else hasn't already entered. They even had the
coleslaw chips!

Jean B.

Aug 27, 2012, 11:05:28 PM8/27/12
I used to enter cooking contests when I was practically a kid. I
entered one more recently and am trying to keep track of them
because I am having interesting (odd?) recipe ideas.

--
Jean B.

Julie Bove

Aug 28, 2012, 12:12:17 AM8/28/12
I entered tons of contests as a kid. The only one that I ever won was a
birthday party at a steak house. As a kid, one of my favorite foods was a
steak. Go figure. I hated hamburgers and french fries but that is what
they served us for our meal. I think we could have had a hotdog but I hated
those even worse. I did love the topper on my cake though. It was a
ballerina and she spun around and around when you blew on her as you would
have to do to blow out the candles.

She didn't last very long. I had a very klutsy friend who managed to break
a lot of my things. That was among them. She also had a very weird habit
of just leaving very quickly when something broke. She never apologized or
admitted to breaking the thing. So whenever she left in a hurry like that I
would have to look for the damage. And she wouldn't leave right away
either. She'd wait until I went to the bathroom or she would ask for a
snack or a drink and then when I was in the kitchen, she'd leave.

There were a couple of good things about this friend. They always had a
huge tub of licorice bites on their coffee table. Both black and red mixed.
It was always fresh. And they always had those litte Laughing Cow cheese
cubes in the fridge for snacks. Do they even make those any more? They
also had a huge fridge with an ice maker. In those days I didn't know
anyone else with an ice maker.