Canned broccoli?

Julie Bove

Mar 8, 2012, 11:07:40 PM3/8/12
It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I came up
with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.

Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
canning or something? Or have I just missed them?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 8, 2012, 11:16:28 PM3/8/12
I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.

Message has been deleted

Janet Bostwick

Mar 8, 2012, 11:49:55 PM3/8/12
Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
and mustard pickles.
Janet US

sf

Mar 8, 2012, 11:50:55 PM3/8/12
Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.

Julie Bove

Mar 9, 2012, 1:19:11 AM3/9/12
I speak from experience that canned asparagus is disgusting.

Julie Bove

Mar 9, 2012, 1:19:52 AM3/9/12
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:07:40 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Does canned broccoli exist?
>
> "It turns into mush and smells like hell", according to USDA sources.

Heh. Thanks!

Julie Bove

Mar 9, 2012, 1:20:12 AM3/9/12
Oh yes. I have seen that.

notbob

Mar 9, 2012, 1:50:57 AM3/9/12
On 2012-03-09, Janet Bostwick <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

> Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
> and mustard pickles.

Bingo!

Thanks fer bringing this thread back to reality, Janet.

Canned (usually in jars) cauliflower and other veggies DO exist,
mostly in pickled form. Pickled asparagus is to die for! I wish I
could afford that Texas brand on our mkt shelves more often. I'm sure
Barb has the details on how to do it yerself. If they can do
cauliflower and watermelon, why not brocs? Back in Cali, a local
Mexican resto chain usta have a fresh carrot and jalapeno pickle on
every table. Again, to die for.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

Jim Elbrecht

Mar 9, 2012, 7:43:26 AM3/9/12
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
><itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

-snip-

>> I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
>> nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.
>
>Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.

And when we have asparagus fresh from the garden, I heat up a can for
my wife so the rest of us can eat it 'the right way'.<g>

Jim

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2012, 10:49:11 AM3/9/12
On 9 Mar 2012 06:50:57 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>On 2012-03-09, Janet Bostwick <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
>
>> Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
>> and mustard pickles.
>
>Bingo!
>
>Thanks fer bringing this thread back to reality, Janet.
>
>Canned (usually in jars) cauliflower and other veggies DO exist,
>mostly in pickled form. Pickled asparagus is to die for! I wish I
>could afford that Texas brand on our mkt shelves more often. I'm sure
>Barb has the details on how to do it yerself. If they can do
>cauliflower and watermelon, why not brocs? Back in Cali, a local
>Mexican resto chain usta have a fresh carrot and jalapeno pickle on
>every table. Again, to die for.
>
>nb
The broccoli is a toughie. I can't think of anything with preserved
broccoli. Broccoli is a very strong tasting vegetable and the two
separate parts wouldn't handle well together in processing.
Janet US

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2012, 10:50:28 AM3/9/12
I like it as well as the fresh. Just something we ate years ago.
Janet US

Brooklyn1

Mar 9, 2012, 10:53:40 AM3/9/12
And some brands of pickle relish is actually pickled cauliflower
rather than pickled cucumber... I think the pickled cauliflower relish
has a better texture.

James Silverton

Mar 9, 2012, 11:07:24 AM3/9/12
I've tried canned asparagus and it's not bad if usually overcooked and
relatively expensive. Generally, I don't eat asparagus unless the stalks
are pencil thin and the cost under $2.50 a pound.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Message has been deleted

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2012, 11:30:33 AM3/9/12
I think frozen asparagus is awful. Neither fish nor fowl. The
texture is not good and the flavor is marginal. Still, all these
preservation methods serve a purpose for those that need them.
I read or heard within the last couple of weeks that the early thin
stalks of asparagus are nutritionally poor compared to the later fat
stalks.
Janet US

merryb

Mar 9, 2012, 11:36:11 AM3/9/12
On Mar 9, 8:30 am, Janet Bostwick <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:07:24 -0500, James Silverton
>

> <jim.silver...@verizon.net> wrote:

I remember freezing a bunch of asparagus one year, and I recall it
coming out pretty good- much better than canned!

James Silverton

Mar 9, 2012, 11:47:37 AM3/9/12
Nutrition is not the first thing in my mind when I eat asparagus :-) I
have to admit that I have pleasant memories of asparagus feasts at
German restaurants with a large Weiner Schnitzel and about a pound of
asparagus! I don't really like the thicker forms especially the immense
"Jumbo Asparagus".

The Cook

Mar 9, 2012, 11:47:54 AM3/9/12
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:07:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

Try boiling broccoli for 30 minutes and see if it is anything you
would want to eat. Canning low acid foods takes at least that long
and in a pressure canner. Can you say mush?
--
Susan N.

Dave Smith

Mar 9, 2012, 12:05:40 PM3/9/12
On 08/03/2012 11:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
> canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
> had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid.

I still see jars of asparagus, but I have not seen it in cans in at
least 30 years.

There are that many canned products any more. When I was a kid there
weren't many households with chest freezer and the refrigerator freezer
was too small to hold much more than one or two ice cube trays and maybe
a half gallon of ice cream. Everything was canned. A lot of people did
their own canning, putting up fresh produce from their garden in Mason
jars. Everyone else bought their canned goods at the grocery store, and
just about everything came canned. Grocery stores had aisles and aisles
and aisles full of canned goods. I noted this morning that the canned
vegetable section of our local grocery store is only about 10 feed long,
and the canned fruit section is a little smaller. In years past, each
one would have been an entire aisle.

Oh the many ways I came up
> with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
> because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
> didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
> that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
>
> Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
> canning or something? Or have I just missed them?

I have never seen it and I can't imagine it being good..... Google is
your friend. Yes, it does exist.

Jim Elbrecht

Mar 9, 2012, 12:06:26 PM3/9/12
Janet Bostwick <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:07:24 -0500, James Silverton
><jim.si...@verizon.net> wrote:

-snip-
>>I've tried canned asparagus and it's not bad if usually overcooked and
>>relatively expensive. Generally, I don't eat asparagus unless the stalks
>>are pencil thin and the cost under $2.50 a pound.
>
>I think frozen asparagus is awful. Neither fish nor fowl. The
>texture is not good and the flavor is marginal. Still, all these
>preservation methods serve a purpose for those that need them.
>I read or heard within the last couple of weeks that the early thin
>stalks of asparagus are nutritionally poor compared to the later fat
>stalks.

In my garden the early ones are the fat ones. My asparagus patch was
established before I got here 28yrs ago. It hasn't thrived through
my neglect-- but it keeps on producing a bit. New plants that
have seeded themselves around the edges have thinner stalks for a few
years.

Crazy weather we've been having, I should check the bed. Normally I
wouldn't see any for a few weeks-- but I've got a mourning dove
sitting on a nest and that shouldn't happen for 6-8 weeks either.

Jim

Janet Bostwick

Mar 9, 2012, 1:15:52 PM3/9/12
On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 12:05:40 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

snip I noted this morning that the canned
>vegetable section of our local grocery store is only about 10 feed long,
>and the canned fruit section is a little smaller. In years past, each
>one would have been an entire aisle.

I think your grocer is responding to the demographics of your area. In
outlying areas people will still have a use for canned goods.
Janet US

spamtrap1888

Mar 9, 2012, 1:33:23 PM3/9/12
On Mar 9, 9:05 am, Dave Smith <adavid.sm...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> There are that many canned products any more. When I was a kid there
> weren't many households with chest freezer and the refrigerator freezer
> was too small to hold much more than one or two ice cube trays and maybe
> a half gallon of ice cream.  Everything was canned. A lot of people did
> their own canning, putting up fresh produce from their garden in Mason
> jars. Everyone else  bought their canned goods at the grocery store, and
> just about everything came canned.  Grocery stores had aisles and aisles
> and aisles full of canned goods.  I noted this morning that the canned
> vegetable section of our local grocery store is only about 10 feed long,
> and the canned fruit section is a little smaller.  In years past, each
> one would have been an entire aisle.

My neighbor was a maintenance mechanic in a can-making factory until
it closed about a decade ago. Although canned vegetables are no longer
popular in general, tomatoes and tomato products are still canned in
high volume, particularly industrial sized cans for restaurant and
institutional use, mostly pizza and pasta sauce. The canmaking plant
would run year round and stockpile cans, waiting for harvest. (The
company that owned the factory went bust, and the buyer already had
his own can making factory.)

One thing I miss from time to time is canned peaches or pears, or even
fruit cocktail. Now that we can get fresh fruit from Chile in
midwinter, the need for canned fruit has dropped off completely.
Message has been deleted

Lou Decruss

Mar 9, 2012, 2:27:43 PM3/9/12
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 08/03/2012 11:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
>> canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
>> had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid.
>
>I still see jars of asparagus, but I have not seen it in cans in at
>least 30 years.

A year or so Aldi had white asparagus in jars. It sucked just the
canned stuff does.

Lou
Message has been deleted

merryb

Mar 9, 2012, 4:21:23 PM3/9/12
On Mar 8, 8:07 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
> It just occurred to me that I have never seen it.  I don't think I have seen
> canned cauliflower either.  I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
> had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid.  Oh the many ways I came up
> with to dispose of that!  And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
> because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
> didn't come from a can.  She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
> that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
>
> Does canned broccoli exist?  What about cauliflower?  Do they not hold up to
> canning or something?  Or have I just missed them?

I've always wondered about canned carrots, and potatoes, for that
matter. Never bought them, and don't think my Mom ever did either. You
can ALWAYS find fresh carrots and spuds...

I'm back on the laptop

Mar 9, 2012, 4:44:54 PM3/9/12
merryb <msg...@juno.com> wrote in
I've used canned spuds, peas, and carrots a few times, but only when I've
been out bush for more than 3 weeks.

Compared to dehydrated 'rat-packs' the tinned stuff was like caviar!! :-)

As for tinned broccoli....... it'd be like the tinned asparagus..... mush.

--
Peter
Tasmania

Mark Thorson

Mar 9, 2012, 4:52:00 PM3/9/12
Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
> and mustard pickles.

I think that hot packed, not truly canned.
If it went through a real canning cycle,
it wouldn't be crisp at all.

Mark Thorson

Mar 9, 2012, 4:54:23 PM3/9/12
Yes, the sulfur compounds in broccoli
should make quite a stink after canning.
Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

Mar 9, 2012, 5:19:51 PM3/9/12

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Somebody asked:
>

>> > Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold
>> > up to
>> > canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
>
> Pressure canning would render them mushy.

Thanks.

Julie Bove

Mar 9, 2012, 5:20:59 PM3/9/12
I buy them occasionally. Nobody in the house likes them but me.

Brooklyn1

Mar 9, 2012, 6:11:13 PM3/9/12
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:21:23 -0800 (PST), merryb <msg...@juno.com>
wrote:
I don't like those canned potatoes but I do like canned mixed
vegetables, Veg-All and its copies. I like canned beets, all kinds of
canned beans, canned spinach, and I even like canned asparagus when
fresh are out of season... Walmart sells canned cut asparagus that are
very good, still have some snap, and are not pricey like the national
brands (cost about a buck), they are very good in a tossed salad, and
are much better than frozen.

Mark Thorson

Mar 9, 2012, 7:59:04 PM3/9/12
Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I don't like those canned potatoes but I do like canned mixed
> vegetables, Veg-All and its copies. I like canned beets, all kinds of
> canned beans, canned spinach, and I even like canned asparagus when

Canned spinach, ugh! Stinks!
Frozen is okay, but canned is
not something I would feed to
prisoners.

gregz

Mar 9, 2012, 8:36:00 PM3/9/12
I know somebody who loves it.

Greg

gregz

Mar 9, 2012, 8:36:01 PM3/9/12
I usually keep cauliflower in the freezer after blanching, but I never
worried if it was not crisp. If I want crisp, I'll eat it raw.

Greg

gregz

Mar 9, 2012, 8:36:01 PM3/9/12
Was it blanched?

Greg

Brooklyn1

Mar 9, 2012, 9:09:07 PM3/9/12

Julie Bove

Mar 10, 2012, 1:51:26 AM3/10/12
Canned is the only way had it growing up.

jmcquown

Mar 10, 2012, 8:14:13 AM3/10/12

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 8, 10:07 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have
>> > seen
>> > canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist
>> > because we
>> > had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I
>> > came up
>> > with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
>> >
>> I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
>> nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.
>
> Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.

My former MIL once gave me a can of brussels sprouts. IIRC I threw it
away... I love brussels sprouts but couldn't quite wrap my head around them
being in a can :)

One of my brothers wouldn't eat asparagus at all until he was well into his
30's. He finally tried the canned stuff... and LIKED it! I said dude, if
you like canned asparagus you *have* to try fresh! LOL

Jill

jmcquown

Mar 10, 2012, 8:23:32 AM3/10/12

"merryb" <msg...@juno.com> wrote in message
> On Mar 8, 8:07 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up
>> canning or something? Or have I just missed them?

(snippage)

> I've always wondered about canned carrots, and potatoes, for that
> matter. Never bought them, and don't think my Mom ever did either. You
> can ALWAYS find fresh carrots and spuds...

When I was a kid my mom would buy Del Monte brand canned "new" potatoes.
The texture was off... rather waxy. Sometimes she'd deep fried them; they
were better that way. I don't recall her buying canned carrots but she
probably did. I don't like carrots so I probably just didn't eat them.

Jill

jmcquown

Mar 10, 2012, 8:37:16 AM3/10/12

"Mark Thorson" <nos...@sonic.net> wrote in message
LOL! I remember my oldest brother watching Popeye cartoons, then insisting
he wanted spinach. So Mom bought a can of spinach. You should have seen
the look on his face when he tasted it. He'd have thrown up on Bluto :)

The only canned greens I like are turnip greens.

Jill

jmcquown

Mar 10, 2012, 8:49:11 AM3/10/12

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
I *do* like Allen's brand canned yellow (aka crookneck) squash on occasion
(when fresh is not in season). There's not much of a difference in taste or
texture since I don't want my vegetables "tender crisp".

Jill

Message has been deleted

Joe J

Mar 10, 2012, 2:19:42 PM3/10/12

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 8, 10:07 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have
>> > seen
>> > canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist
>> > because we
>> > had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I
>> > came up
>> > with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
>> > because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables
>> > that
>> > didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery
>> > but
>> > that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
>> >
>> > Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold
>> > up to
>> > canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
>> >

>> I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
>> nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.
>
> Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.

Goes great in a bloody mary!

Lou Decruss

Mar 10, 2012, 5:53:40 PM3/10/12
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 13:10:13 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 08:23:32 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> When I was a kid my mom would buy Del Monte brand canned "new" potatoes.
>> The texture was off... rather waxy. Sometimes she'd deep fried them; they
>> were better that way. I don't recall her buying canned carrots but she
>> probably did. I don't like carrots so I probably just didn't eat them.
>
>Canned potatoes have a charm all of their own. I like their dense,
>waxy texture and musty taste. Fried up in a little butter in a pan.

My grandmother fried them in bacon fat and sugar until they got a
candy type coating on them. I loved them as a kid but I'm not I'd
like them now.

Lou

jmcquown

Mar 11, 2012, 11:24:34 AM3/11/12

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:07:24 -0500, James Silverton
> <jim.si...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On 3/9/2012 10:50 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:50:55 -0800, sf<s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like it as well as the fresh. Just something we ate years ago.
>>> Janet US
>>
>>I've tried canned asparagus and it's not bad if usually overcooked and
>>relatively expensive. Generally, I don't eat asparagus unless the stalks
>>are pencil thin and the cost under $2.50 a pound.
>
> I think frozen asparagus is awful. Neither fish nor fowl. The
> texture is not good and the flavor is marginal. Still, all these
> preservation methods serve a purpose for those that need them.
> I read or heard within the last couple of weeks that the early thin
> stalks of asparagus are nutritionally poor compared to the later fat
> stalks.
> Janet US

I prefer the thicker asparagus. After all, you do snap the tougher end of
the stalks at the breaking point before cooking the asparagus. And
asparagus is expensive, so get more bang for your buck with the thicker
stalks. They cook up just the same as pencil thin (puny, spindly)
asparagus.

Jill

Brooklyn1

Mar 11, 2012, 1:28:56 PM3/11/12
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:24:34 -0400, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I don't like thin asparagus... they had them on sale last week at
$1.49/lb but they were thin like pencils, I passed them up.

George M. Middius

Mar 11, 2012, 1:41:20 PM3/11/12
Shelley whined:

>I don't like thin asparagus...