Re: The Secret to Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

sf

Dec 16, 2016, 11:54:46 PM12/16/16
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 15:48:15 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

> I haven't been able to peel an HB egg for years. My problem was that
> I was starting them in cold/cool water and bringing them to a boil.
> The secret is to put them straight from the fridge into ALREADY
> BOILING water. Duh.
>
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

Jayzus! Even the food gurus are gas lighting their readers. They
convinced readers the way they did it was wrong and now that everyone
has switched they're telling them they're doing it wrong (again).

Jeßus

Dec 17, 2016, 12:22:13 AM12/17/16
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:54:44 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 15:48:15 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>wrote:
>
>> I haven't been able to peel an HB egg for years. My problem was that
>> I was starting them in cold/cool water and bringing them to a boil.
>> The secret is to put them straight from the fridge into ALREADY
>> BOILING water. Duh.
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html
>

>Jayzus! Even the food gurus are gas lighting their readers. They
>convinced readers the way they did it was wrong and now that everyone
>has switched they're telling them they're doing it wrong (again).

I never knew anyone started boiled eggs in cold water. I also never
knew it could be such a complicated process (apparently).

"If you're buying your eggs direct from the farmer, or if you keep a
couple hens out back, you may want to let your eggs sit around for a
couple of weeks before using them for boiling"

^WTF?^

For all the author's so-called experience, it's seems lost on him
that all this easy to peel business also depends on the breed of
chickens used for egg production.

sf

Dec 17, 2016, 12:38:30 AM12/17/16
The real secret to perfectly peeled eggs is age, not how they are
cooked.

Jeßus

Dec 17, 2016, 12:46:21 AM12/17/16
All I know is I've done quite a few batches of pickled eggs in my day
and never had much trouble peeling eggs :)

Other than that, most of the time I poach my eggs (as I did this
morning).

Got a bit hungry before, so I made some Hommous to have with some rice
crackers. Dinner will be a chicken salad.

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 12:48:01 AM12/17/16
In article <97i95cd42thimtu74...@j.net>, Jeßus says...

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:54:44 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 15:48:15 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I haven't been able to peel an HB egg for years. My problem was that
> >> I was starting them in cold/cool water and bringing them to a boil.
> >> The secret is to put them straight from the fridge into ALREADY
> >> BOILING water. Duh.
> >>
> >> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html
> >

> >Jayzus! Even the food gurus are gas lighting their readers. They
> >convinced readers the way they did it was wrong and now that everyone
> >has switched they're telling them they're doing it wrong (again).
>
> I never knew anyone started boiled eggs in cold water. I also never
> knew it could be such a complicated process (apparently).

I always thought the egg would adapt more slowly to the rising
temperature and therefore would not break as easily. But it makes timing
imprecise, so I don't do this anymore.

> "If you're buying your eggs direct from the farmer, or if you keep a
> couple hens out back, you may want to let your eggs sit around for a
> couple of weeks before using them for boiling"
>
> ^WTF?^
>
> For all the author's so-called experience, it's seems lost on him
> that all this easy to peel business also depends on the breed of
> chickens used for egg production.

But it's true that fresh eggs are harder to peel. Maybe age dries out
the egg, making the shell stick less to the inner egg.

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 12:49:53 AM12/17/16
In article <coj95cdrl3t0cmhan...@4ax.com>, sf says...
But how about breed? Would Eggus Supermarktus be the easiest to peel?

Jeßus

Dec 17, 2016, 12:50:41 AM12/17/16
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 23:42:27 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:22:00 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> I never knew anyone started boiled eggs in cold water.
>
>Lots of chefs and other resources have stated that is the way to do it
>- starting with cool water.

<shrug>, oh well. I don't. If the eggs have been in the fridge I might
wait until the water is pretty hot but not extremely hot to avoid the
egg shell from cracking. These days I really only boil eggs to make
pickled eggs.

>Here's FoodTV telling people to do it:
>http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/deviled-eggs-recipe.html
>
>And the American Egg Council:
>http://www.incredibleegg.org/cooking-school/egg-cookery/hard-boil-eggs/]
>
>And thousands of other recommendations to do it that way:
>https://www.google.com/#q=starting+hard+boiled+eggs+in+cold+water+
>
>So that was the way I was doing it. But mostly because I'm impatient
>and it saves energy.

It'd save some energy, for sure.

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 12:51:14 AM12/17/16
In article <1cq5jf7u...@sqwertz.com>, Sqwertz says...

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 21:38:28 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> > The real secret to perfectly peeled eggs is age, not how they are
> > cooked.
>
> I have tested the "age of eggs" theory and it's bullshit. Eggs 10
> days old peel just like eggs that are 2 weeks past their use-by date.

But how about a fresh egg? Much harder, I tell you.

Jeßus

Dec 17, 2016, 1:01:43 AM12/17/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:49:46 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>But how about breed? Would Eggus Supermarktus be the easiest to peel?

In all seriousness, having had a variety of chicken breeds I've
learned that the attributes of a chicken egg can vary (aside from
colour and size). Some are easier to peel than others. IMO it's the
membrane that makes the most difference when peelling an egg.

Jeßus

Dec 17, 2016, 1:07:31 AM12/17/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:47:55 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <97i95cd42thimtu74...@j.net>, Jeßus says...
>>
>> I never knew anyone started boiled eggs in cold water. I also never
>> knew it could be such a complicated process (apparently).
>
>I always thought the egg would adapt more slowly to the rising
>temperature and therefore would not break as easily.

That I agree with. But not big enough of a problem to worry about IMO.
I also have a small basket of my freshest eggs on the counter so they
never get really cold. The older eggs go into the fridge if I have too
many.

> But it makes timing imprecise, so I don't do this anymore.

Yes, which is why I prefer to start with hot water. Cold water out of
the tap can vary wildly in temperature. Well... the water out of my
water tank does, anyway.

>> "If you're buying your eggs direct from the farmer, or if you keep a
>> couple hens out back, you may want to let your eggs sit around for a
>> couple of weeks before using them for boiling"
>>
>> ^WTF?^
>>
>> For all the author's so-called experience, it's seems lost on him
>> that all this easy to peel business also depends on the breed of
>> chickens used for egg production.
>
>But it's true that fresh eggs are harder to peel. Maybe age dries out
>the egg, making the shell stick less to the inner egg.

Probably. It just hasn't been a problem for me to notice any
difference. If I peel an egg I'll soak it in cold water for a short
time beforehand which helps a lot.

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 1:08:02 AM12/17/16
In article <dvk95c9bauaofo5eh...@j.net>, Jeßus says...
I believe it. We have a few types but I never know who laid what.

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 17, 2016, 1:26:34 AM12/17/16
When I can be bothered, the steaming method seems to handle the
membrane the best. I think peeling them while warm works best.
Janet US

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 2:02:02 AM12/17/16
In article <f6l95cd4qlui7m3rk...@j.net>, Jeßus says...

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:47:55 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >I always thought the egg would adapt more slowly to the rising
> >temperature and therefore would not break as easily.
>
> That I agree with. But not big enough of a problem to worry about IMO.

No, and maybe home grown eggs have a stronger shell than supermarket
eggs, depending on the feed. I never have any crackage anymore.

> I also have a small basket of my freshest eggs on the counter so they
> never get really cold. The older eggs go into the fridge if I have too
> many.

We have 11 laying hens because of clandestine breeding. That's way too
many for 2 people, so we're giving eggs away.

> > But it makes timing imprecise, so I don't do this anymore.
>
> Yes, which is why I prefer to start with hot water. Cold water out of
> the tap can vary wildly in temperature. Well... the water out of my
> water tank does, anyway.

Same here. And I never knew when to start counting. It only matters for
soft boiled eggs, of course. 8 or 10 minutes for hard boiled doesn't
really matter.

> >But it's true that fresh eggs are harder to peel. Maybe age dries out
> >the egg, making the shell stick less to the inner egg.
>
> Probably. It just hasn't been a problem for me to notice any
> difference. If I peel an egg I'll soak it in cold water for a short
> time beforehand which helps a lot.

I'll try that.

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 2:06:47 AM12/17/16
In article <qem95cht9cuqiavn5...@4ax.com>, U.S. Janet B.
says...
Yes, that's another variable that might make a difference, warm or cold.

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 17, 2016, 8:51:54 AM12/17/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 18:01:55 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
For the U,S, size large, bring eggs in cold water to a boil. When the
water boils, turn off the heat, cover the pot and set timer for 15
minutes. This gives a firm yolk with no greening. I don't know
timing for smaller eggs. If you have a mixed batch of sizes from your
hens, that is a problem.
Janet US

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 17, 2016, 9:02:39 AM12/17/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 06:51:47 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
I go with Julia - it's fussy but guaranteed every time :) Plus if you
are thinking of devilled eggs for Xmas, you can do the fussy part
ahead of time.

Lay the eggs in the pan and add cold water to cover eggs by an inch.
Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, cover the pot, and
let sit exactly 17 minutes.

After resting time, ~RESERVE THE COOKING WATER~ and put the eggs into
a bowl of ice cubes and water. Chill for 2 minutes as you bring the
cooking water to the boil again. (This 2 minute chilling shrinks the
body of the egg from the shell.).

Transfer the eggs to the boiling water, bring to the boil again, and
let boil for 10 seconds. (This expands the shell from the egg). Remove
the eggs and place back into the ice water. Chilling the eggs promptly
after each step prevents that dark line from forming. Leave the eggs
in the ice water after the last step for 15 to 20 minutes to
facilitate shell-peeling.

Keep peeled eggs submerged in water in an uncovered container for up
to 2-3 days.

Says Julia: The perfect hard-boiled egg has a tender white, and a yolk
properly set. There is not the faintest darkening of yolk where the
white encircles it (a chemical reaction caused by too much heat in the
cooking process). Eggs cooked this way can also be peeled neatly.

Janet

Dec 17, 2016, 9:17:51 AM12/17/16
In article <MPG.32bf8decc...@News.Individual.NET>,
Br...@invalid.invalid says...

> In article <f6l95cd4qlui7m3rk...@j.net>, Jeßus says...
> >
> > On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:47:55 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I always thought the egg would adapt more slowly to the rising
> > >temperature and therefore would not break as easily.
> >
> > That I agree with. But not big enough of a problem to worry about IMO.
>
> No, and maybe home grown eggs have a stronger shell than supermarket
> eggs, depending on the feed. I never have any crackage anymore.
>
> > I also have a small basket of my freshest eggs on the counter so they
> > never get really cold. The older eggs go into the fridge if I have too
> > many.
>
> We have 11 laying hens because of clandestine breeding. That's way too
> many for 2 people, so we're giving eggs away.

Beginner's mistake. You'll soon work out that the feed costs for 11
birds, especially when off-lay, are way out of proportion to the number
of eggs you consume.

We tried selling the surplus to workmates, passers-by etc but eventually
realised the easiest and most economic option was to keep only as many
hens as we needed to supply ourselves. (Two hens per person supplied
enough eggs for us and our dogs).

Janet UK

cshenk

Dec 17, 2016, 10:52:38 AM12/17/16
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:22:00 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>
> > I never knew anyone started boiled eggs in cold water.
>
> Lots of chefs and other resources have stated that is the way to do it
> - starting with cool water.
>
> Here's FoodTV telling people to do it:
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/deviled-eggs-
> recipe.html
>
> And the American Egg Council:
> http://www.incredibleegg.org/cooking-school/egg-cookery/hard-boil-eggs
> /]
>
> And thousands of other recommendations to do it that way:
> https://www.google.com/#q=starting+hard+boiled+eggs+in+cold+water+
>
> So that was the way I was doing it. But mostly because I'm impatient
> and it saves energy.
>
> -sw

The cool water then bring to a boil slowly, results in fewer broken
ones.

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 17, 2016, 11:09:45 AM12/17/16
I've never seen this method before. Thanks for posting
Janet US

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 17, 2016, 11:28:56 AM12/17/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 09:09:40 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>>Says Julia: The perfect hard-boiled egg has a tender white, and a yolk
>>properly set. There is not the faintest darkening of yolk where the
>>white encircles it (a chemical reaction caused by too much heat in the
>>cooking process). Eggs cooked this way can also be peeled neatly.
>
>I've never seen this method before. Thanks for posting
>Janet US

I remember the show where she showed her method for 'HB eggs' - she
always referred to them that way :) It is fussy but for devilled eggs
when you really want them pretty, with a great texture, it works. I
don't bother if they are to be chopped up or whatever.

notbob

Dec 17, 2016, 12:41:58 PM12/17/16
On 2016-12-17, lucreti...@fl.it <lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:

> I remember the show where she showed her method for 'HB eggs' - she
> always referred to them that way

She also did not live at 8K elevation and prolly used AA Large eggs.
Try her method with xtra-lrg eggs. Doesn't work!

nb

Dave Smith

Dec 17, 2016, 12:50:28 PM12/17/16
We had forgotten about altitude when we were in your neck of the woods.
My wife and I stayed in a place in Estes Park for a couple days and she
boiled up some eggs to eat later. We stopped at her cousin's place in
Longmont and my wife cracked open one of her not so hard boiled eggs. As
the yolk slopped out her cousin remarked that she must have forgotten
the effect of being a mile high on boiled eggs.

Nancy Young

Dec 17, 2016, 1:12:33 PM12/17/16
On 12/17/2016 12:42 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:22:00 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> I never knew anyone started boiled eggs in cold water.
>
> Lots of chefs and other resources have stated that is the way to do it
> - starting with cool water.

I started eggs in boiling water once. Two of the eggs
exploded so I don't do it that way any more.

Since going to the 'bring to a boil, remove from heat'
method, I don't get the green ring any more, either.

nancy

Nancy Young

Dec 17, 2016, 1:16:15 PM12/17/16
On 12/17/2016 12:22 AM, Je�us wrote:

> For all the author's so-called experience, it's seems lost on him
> that all this easy to peel business also depends on the breed of
> chickens used for egg production.

Getting brown eggs is very helpful as you can see if you
missed any shell. However, out of the same carton, you can
have 4 eggs peel like a dream and 2 be a bitch to peel.
Nothing outwardly different and what are the odds the place
has different varieties of brown egg layers?

nancy

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 17, 2016, 1:49:44 PM12/17/16
I'm at sea level.

Dave Smith

Dec 17, 2016, 2:02:55 PM12/17/16
On 2016-12-17 1:12 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Lots of chefs and other resources have stated that is the way to do it
>> - starting with cool water.
>
> I started eggs in boiling water once. Two of the eggs
> exploded so I don't do it that way any more.

I have never had any explode, but some have cracked and oozed white
into the water.

> Since going to the 'bring to a boil, remove from heat'
> method, I don't get the green ring any more, either.

That's the way my wife does them. She had soft boiled eggs at least once
a week and usually adds a few extra eggs. She puts the eggs in the pot
with cold water, heats it to a boil, sets a timer for the soft boiled
egg. When the time goes she takes one out and leaves the rest in for a
about 10 minutes longer.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 17, 2016, 2:10:06 PM12/17/16
On 12/17/2016 1:12 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> I started eggs in boiling water once. Two of the eggs
> exploded so I don't do it that way any more.
>
> Since going to the 'bring to a boil, remove from heat'
> method, I don't get the green ring any more, either.
>
> nancy

They both work if done right. I make HB eggs twice a week and often use
the boiling water method. Once in a while an egg may crack but it seals
and is perfectly good. I use a spoon to lower the eggs in, not drop them.

The trick is to find what works best for you and do it the same way
every time. For peeling, I roll the egg and crack the shell all around
and it usually comes off easily.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 17, 2016, 2:14:25 PM12/17/16
Out of a dozen eggs, they probably come from a dozen chickens so they
will be inconsistent. I used to be able to go to an egg farm and often
they would be processing thousands of eggs at a time, mostly automated.

Jeßus

Dec 17, 2016, 2:18:26 PM12/17/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:10:03 -0500, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>On 12/17/2016 1:12 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I started eggs in boiling water once. Two of the eggs
>> exploded so I don't do it that way any more.
>>
>> Since going to the 'bring to a boil, remove from heat'
>> method, I don't get the green ring any more, either.
>
>They both work if done right. I make HB eggs twice a week and often use
>the boiling water method. Once in a while an egg may crack but it seals
>and is perfectly good. I use a spoon to lower the eggs in, not drop them.

Ah yes, good point Ed. I lower my eggs *gently and gradually* into
very hot water, close to boiling. Forgot to mention that.

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 2:59:48 PM12/17/16
In article <1iga5ch8kj87pq1sa...@4ax.com>, U.S. Janet B.
says...

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 18:01:55 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <f6l95cd4qlui7m3rk...@j.net>, Jeßus says...
> >>
> >> That I agree with. But not big enough of a problem to worry about
> >> IMO.
> >
> >No, and maybe home grown eggs have a stronger shell than supermarket
> >eggs, depending on the feed. I never have any crackage anymore.
> >
> >> I also have a small basket of my freshest eggs on the counter so they
> >> never get really cold. The older eggs go into the fridge if I have too
> >> many.
> >
> >We have 11 laying hens because of clandestine breeding. That's way too
> >many for 2 people, so we're giving eggs away.
> >
> >> Yes, which is why I prefer to start with hot water. Cold water out
> >> of
> >> the tap can vary wildly in temperature. Well... the water out of my
> >> water tank does, anyway.
> >
> >Same here. And I never knew when to start counting. It only matters for
> >soft boiled eggs, of course. 8 or 10 minutes for hard boiled doesn't
> >really matter.
> >>
> >> Probably. It just hasn't been a problem for me to notice any
> >> difference. If I peel an egg I'll soak it in cold water for a short
> >> time beforehand which helps a lot.
> >
> >I'll try that.
>
> For the U,S, size large, bring eggs in cold water to a boil. When the
> water boils, turn off the heat, cover the pot and set timer for 15
> minutes. This gives a firm yolk with no greening. I don't know
> timing for smaller eggs. If you have a mixed batch of sizes from your
> hens, that is a problem.

But I guess it's hard to soft boil an egg this way. Maybe after some
experimenting.

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 3:02:29 PM12/17/16
In article <eblbn2...@mid.individual.net>, notbob says...

> On 2016-12-17, lucreti...@fl.it <lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:
>
> > I remember the show where she showed her method for 'HB eggs' - she
> > always referred to them that way
>
> She also did not live at 8K elevation

Do you live on Mount Everest?

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 3:07:29 PM12/17/16
In article <MPG.32bf5967e...@news.individual.net>, Janet
says...

> In article <MPG.32bf8decc...@News.Individual.NET>,
> Br...@invalid.invalid says...
> >
> > In article <f6l95cd4qlui7m3rk...@j.net>, Jeßus says...

> > > That I agree with. But not big enough of a problem to worry about IMO.
> >
> > No, and maybe home grown eggs have a stronger shell than supermarket
> > eggs, depending on the feed. I never have any crackage anymore.
> >
> > > I also have a small basket of my freshest eggs on the counter so they
> > > never get really cold. The older eggs go into the fridge if I have too
> > > many.
> >
> > We have 11 laying hens because of clandestine breeding. That's way too
> > many for 2 people, so we're giving eggs away.
>
> Beginner's mistake. You'll soon work out that the feed costs for 11
> birds, especially when off-lay, are way out of proportion to the number
> of eggs you consume.

Clandestine breeding. One hen moved across the road, to a property that
was on and off uninhabitated. We gave up on her. Half a year later she
came back. With a family in tow.

> We tried selling the surplus to workmates, passers-by etc but eventually
> realised the easiest and most economic option was to keep only as many
> hens as we needed to supply ourselves. (Two hens per person supplied
> enough eggs for us and our dogs).

We give the eggcess to relatives and neighbours.

Jeßus

Dec 17, 2016, 3:15:06 PM12/17/16
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 07:07:22 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>One hen moved across the road, to a property that
>was on and off uninhabitated. We gave up on her. Half a year later she
>came back. With a family in tow.

Why do Bogans and Centrelink immediately spring to mind when reading
that?

notbob

Dec 17, 2016, 3:28:32 PM12/17/16
On 2016-12-17, lucreti...@fl.it <lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2016 17:41:54 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>>Try her method with xtra-lrg eggs. Doesn't work!

> I'm at sea level.

So was I when Julia's method failed me. I was using xtra-lrg eggs.
Jes take egg size into consideration, is all I'm saying. ;)

nb

Bruce

Dec 17, 2016, 3:45:49 PM12/17/16
In article <h37b5ch0iip29eu9e...@j.net>, Jeßus says...
lol

Nancy Young

Dec 17, 2016, 4:06:15 PM12/17/16
On 12/17/2016 2:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/17/2016 1:16 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Getting brown eggs is very helpful as you can see if you
>> missed any shell. However, out of the same carton, you can
>> have 4 eggs peel like a dream and 2 be a bitch to peel.
>> Nothing outwardly different and what are the odds the place
>> has different varieties of brown egg layers?

> Out of a dozen eggs, they probably come from a dozen chickens so they
> will be inconsistent.

I get that, 100% I just don't think they usually have all different
kinds of chickens in big places like who ships to Costco.

> I used to be able to go to an egg farm and often
> they would be processing thousands of eggs at a time, mostly automated.

I've only seen that on TV, it's quite an operation.

nancy

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 17, 2016, 5:11:52 PM12/17/16
On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 4:06:15 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 12/17/2016 2:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 12/17/2016 1:16 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> >> Getting brown eggs is very helpful as you can see if you
> >> missed any shell. However, out of the same carton, you can
> >> have 4 eggs peel like a dream and 2 be a bitch to peel.
> >> Nothing outwardly different and what are the odds the place
> >> has different varieties of brown egg layers?
>
> > Out of a dozen eggs, they probably come from a dozen chickens so they
> > will be inconsistent.
>
> I get that, 100% I just don't think they usually have all different
> kinds of chickens in big places like who ships to Costco.

The vast majority of egg-layers for commercial operations in the
U.S. are a White Leghorn hybrid (white eggs) or hybrids that resemble
New Hampshire Reds and Barred Plymouth Rocks (brown eggs)

<http://extension.psu.edu/animals/poultry/topics/general-educational-material/the-chicken/modern-egg-industry>

Cindy Hamilton

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 17, 2016, 6:00:01 PM12/17/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:08:51 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 10:02:35 -0400, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>
>Obviously I disagree with Julie's method. But....

Julia, as in Julia Child

>> There is not the faintest darkening of yolk where the
>> white encircles it (a chemical reaction caused by too much heat in the
>> cooking process). Eggs cooked this way can also be peeled neatly.
>
>These are hard boiled eggs. The heat can only get a certain
>temperature depending on your elevation. There's no way to cook them
>any hotter (except in a pressure cooker - anybody?).
>
>The green yolk is caused by over-cooking and secondary - not cooling
>them right away. Not by "too much heat".
>
>-sw

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 17, 2016, 6:02:18 PM12/17/16
Indeed, for soft boiled eggs (the method a poster here produced) size
varies the cooking time. I use extra large so did the way it was
suggested. For the eggs a la Julia, I use the same.

jmcquown

Dec 17, 2016, 7:03:29 PM12/17/16
On 12/17/2016 1:12 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
Eggsactly. I have never started to boil eggs in already boiling water.
They tend to crack if you do that. And since many of us don't have
fresh eggs from the hens in the back yard sitting in a basket on the
counter at room temp... ;) Chances are the eggs are coming out of the
refrigerator. It just makes sense, even if you let the eggs sit out a
while, when dropped in boiling water the shell might crack. Start with
cold water.

Jill

sf

Dec 18, 2016, 2:59:54 AM12/18/16
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 23:45:04 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 21:38:28 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> > The real secret to perfectly peeled eggs is age, not how they are
> > cooked.
>
> I have tested the "age of eggs" theory and it's bullshit. Eggs 10
> days old peel just like eggs that are 2 weeks past their use-by date.

and they are not fresh.

sf

Dec 18, 2016, 3:01:34 AM12/18/16
wrote:

> In article <coj95cdrl3t0cmhan...@4ax.com>, sf says...

> > > I never knew anyone started boiled eggs in cold water. I also never
> > > knew it could be such a complicated process (apparently).
> > >
> > > "If you're buying your eggs direct from the farmer, or if you keep a
> > > couple hens out back, you may want to let your eggs sit around for a
> > > couple of weeks before using them for boiling"
> > >
> > > ^WTF?^
> > >
> > > For all the author's so-called experience, it's seems lost on him
> > > that all this easy to peel business also depends on the breed of
> > > chickens used for egg production.
> >
> > The real secret to perfectly peeled eggs is age, not how they are
> > cooked.
>
> But how about breed? Would Eggus Supermarktus be the easiest to peel?

sf

Dec 18, 2016, 3:02:52 AM12/18/16
wrote:

> In article <coj95cdrl3t0cmhan...@4ax.com>, sf says...
> >

> > The real secret to perfectly peeled eggs is age, not how they are
> > cooked.
>
> But how about breed? Would Eggus Supermarktus be the easiest to peel?

Of course! They are also the best aged you can buy.

sf

Dec 18, 2016, 3:04:06 AM12/18/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 17:01:36 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:49:46 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >But how about breed? Would Eggus Supermarktus be the easiest to peel?
>
> In all seriousness, having had a variety of chicken breeds I've
> learned that the attributes of a chicken egg can vary (aside from
> colour and size). Some are easier to peel than others. IMO it's the
> membrane that makes the most difference when peelling an egg.

That's where aging comes in. More age, more air between the membrane
and shell.

sf

Dec 18, 2016, 3:05:34 AM12/18/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:50:33 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 23:42:27 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:22:00 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
> >
> >> I never knew anyone started boiled eggs in cold water.
> >
> >Lots of chefs and other resources have stated that is the way to do it
> >- starting with cool water.
>
> <shrug>, oh well. I don't. If the eggs have been in the fridge I might
> wait until the water is pretty hot but not extremely hot to avoid the
> egg shell from cracking. These days I really only boil eggs to make
> pickled eggs.
>
> >Here's FoodTV telling people to do it:
> >http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/deviled-eggs-recipe.html
> >
> >And the American Egg Council:
> >http://www.incredibleegg.org/cooking-school/egg-cookery/hard-boil-eggs/]
> >
> >And thousands of other recommendations to do it that way:
> >https://www.google.com/#q=starting+hard+boiled+eggs+in+cold+water+
> >
> >So that was the way I was doing it. But mostly because I'm impatient
> >and it saves energy.
>
> It'd save some energy, for sure.

Who cares? It's maybe a penny's worth, if that.

Jeßus

Dec 18, 2016, 2:01:52 PM12/18/16
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 13:16:04 -0500, Nancy Young
<rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote:
Not likely! Anyway, that's my experience. I think the eggs from my
Barnevelders cracked more cleanly than my current Hylines, not sure
which ones actually shell easier.

Dave Smith

Dec 18, 2016, 5:40:40 PM12/18/16
On 2016-12-18 2:01 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 13:16:04 -0500, Nancy Young
>
>> Getting brown eggs is very helpful as you can see if you
>> missed any shell. However, out of the same carton, you can
>> have 4 eggs peel like a dream and 2 be a bitch to peel.
>> Nothing outwardly different and what are the odds the place
>> has different varieties of brown egg layers?
>
> Not likely! Anyway, that's my experience. I think the eggs from my
> Barnevelders cracked more cleanly than my current Hylines, not sure
> which ones actually shell easier.

I wonder today about the type of eggs compared to the method. I used two
types of eggs today. I made Belgium waffles for brunch and used extra
large brown eggs for them and for fried eggs. Later on I made a batch of
brownies and my wife handed me a different carton of eggs. There were
large white eggs. The shells on those were about have as thick as the
others. That has to be factor in the ease of peeling them.

Taxed and Spent

Dec 19, 2016, 8:41:23 AM12/19/16
On 12/17/2016 12:08 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 10:02:35 -0400, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>
> Obviously I disagree with Julie's method. But....
>
>> There is not the faintest darkening of yolk where the
>> white encircles it (a chemical reaction caused by too much heat in the
>> cooking process). Eggs cooked this way can also be peeled neatly.
>
> These are hard boiled eggs. The heat can only get a certain
> temperature depending on your elevation. There's no way to cook them
> any hotter (except in a pressure cooker - anybody?).
>
> The green yolk is caused by over-cooking and secondary - not cooling
> them right away. Not by "too much heat".
>
> -sw

overcooking IS "too much heat".

Dave Smith

Dec 19, 2016, 8:48:07 AM12/19/16
As he said, there is a limit to how hot water can get, depending on
altitude.

Taxed and Spent

Dec 19, 2016, 9:08:34 AM12/19/16
That is TEMPERATURE, not heat.

Taxed and Spent

Dec 19, 2016, 11:11:30 AM12/19/16
On 12/19/2016 8:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> overcooking IS "too much heat".
>
> "Overcooking" is most often cooking *too long*. And is what I meant
> here.
>
> Take that bullshit elsewhere.
>
> -sw

Cooking too long is too much HEAT. You are wrong, and you call Bullshit
on me?

Brooklyn1

Dec 19, 2016, 12:04:07 PM12/19/16
Both correct... boiling eggs requires time AND temperature... think
about it. A simmer can be a mere 200ºF, and that's how I do eggs...
start in cold tap water and as soon as water boils I lower the flame
till it's barely a simmer and let cook for five minutes, then slap on
the lid and shut the flame and leave it for 15 minutes. Next two
three changes of cold tap water and then leave the pot filled and dump
in a dozen ice cubes... that's what makes them peel easily... I peel
the eggs under the ice water, perfect every time. I rarely do less
than a dozen eggs unless it's the last dozen and I need a couple for a
different use. Adjust timing for different size eggs... jumbos need
two more minutes simmering than large. A full boil will toughen eggs
and likely crack a few. A good trick is to boil eggs in a wire deep
fry basket, less chance of cracking and when time to cool lift them
all out at once and plunge into another pot of cold water, last plunge
into a pot of ice water. That's how it's done at institutional
kitchens, like hospitals, prisons and such.

Dave Smith

Dec 19, 2016, 1:51:20 PM12/19/16
No matter how long it cooks it is not going to rise above 212F.

Taxed and Spent

Dec 19, 2016, 1:54:22 PM12/19/16
yes, that is the temperature, not heat.

notbob

Dec 19, 2016, 2:11:19 PM12/19/16
On 2016-12-19, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> No matter how long it cooks it is not going to rise above 212F.

Wanna bet!?

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating>

nb

dalet...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2016, 2:19:39 PM12/19/16
On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 9:22:13 PM UTC-8, Jeßus wrote:
> I never knew anyone started boiled eggs in cold water. I also never
> knew it could be such a complicated process (apparently).

It's my wife's tried and true method. IIRC she puts them in cold and takes them out when it starts to boil for soft boiled eggs.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 19, 2016, 3:20:39 PM12/19/16
Still too hot for hard-boiled eggs. Sous vide mavens
appear to favor 170 F, which suggests that's the
temperature you want your yolks to hit.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Dec 19, 2016, 5:04:41 PM12/19/16
So.... too much time at that heat.

Taxed and Spent

Dec 19, 2016, 5:10:14 PM12/19/16
you're joshing me!

Dave Smith

Dec 19, 2016, 5:26:32 PM12/19/16
Let me know when that becomes a cooking method for hard boiled eggs.

notbob

Dec 19, 2016, 5:38:33 PM12/19/16
On 2016-12-19, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Let me know when that becomes a cooking method for hard boiled eggs.

<http://allrecipes.com/recipe/237562/pressure-cooker-hard-boiled-eggs/>

nb

col...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2016, 6:24:57 PM12/19/16
I have device that puts a hole in the rounded end of the egg that's supposed to make them easier to peel. I also salt the water a little.