Hot in the city? No.

Julie Bove

Jul 22, 2016, 11:42:12 PM7/22/16
Apparently Washington state is the only state that escaped the high heat
today. Except perhaps for downtown Bothell where sadly, much of it was lost
in the wee hours to fire. The owner of a fairly new restaurant that serves
food and sells board games said that he reported something around 2:30 a.m.
They are open until midnight and he was closing up to go home. Said he
smelled smoke but at first, nobody could find the source.

We still don't know the particulars except that it wiped out much for about
5-7 blocks. Two restaurants, at least one bank, a small mall and much damage
to vegetation and cars. They melted. Luckily nobody was hurt. All we know is
that it started in a newly remodeled but not finished apartment complex.
They say it could take weeks to months to find out the cause, if they ever
do.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/massive-fire-spreads-to-nearby-businesses-in-downtown-bothell/279666139

At any rate, tonight's dinner is hamburger gravy with celery, onion and
green pepper over mashed potatoes. It's not exactly chilly here but not hot
either and we are expected to have hot weather coming. So... Tonight's the
night for hot food. Got pasta salad and fruit salad for later.

Jeßus

Jul 23, 2016, 12:26:57 AM7/23/16
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:42:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>At any rate, tonight's dinner is hamburger gravy with celery, onion and
>green pepper over mashed potatoes. It's not exactly chilly here but not hot
>either and we are expected to have hot weather coming. So... Tonight's the
>night for hot food. Got pasta salad and fruit salad for later.

Dinner tonight here will be simple, just a porterhouse steak, an
avocado, onion and tomato, most likely.

Julie Bove

Jul 23, 2016, 1:03:16 AM7/23/16

"Jeßus" <j@j.j> wrote in message
Okay.

Cheri

Jul 23, 2016, 1:54:33 AM7/23/16

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
That's too bad about the fire, but it is good that nobody was hurt at least,
and your dinner sounds good.

Cheri

Julie Bove

Jul 23, 2016, 2:37:29 AM7/23/16

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
Thanks! Alas, somebody just posted to FB that a tree caught fire from a
smoldering ember. The fire isn't totally out. No leftovers on dinner.
Everyone ate their portion. That ought to tick people off here.

Ophelia

Jul 23, 2016, 3:44:54 AM7/23/16

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

Scary. I've never heard of cars melting before!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove

Jul 23, 2016, 6:14:44 AM7/23/16

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I hadn't either. I have pics on my FB feed but it's a closed community group
so I can't post a link to them. But it does make sense as much of the car's
body is no longer metal.

dsi1

Jul 23, 2016, 1:38:39 PM7/23/16
That's rather odd - the Brits are at the cutting edge in car melting technology. :)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/03/world/europe/uk-london-building-melts-car/

KenK

Jul 23, 2016, 1:49:15 PM7/23/16
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in news:nmup2g$jrc$1@dont-
email.me:

> Apparently Washington state is the only state that escaped the high
heat
> today.

I'm having my own private high heat this past month. About 6/15 The 100K+
AZ town in live near had a week-long heat wave, around 115. Then it
returned to normal - high 90s, low 100s, once in a while low teens. Out
here in the farmland where I live, aboutc 2 miles west of town, it's
consistently been around 15 degrees above theirs since then. They report
100 on the radio weather report, 1 get 115. Yesterday it was 113 there,
132 here. I'm afraid this is going to last all summer. This has never
happened before - the temperature in both places was always close to the
same. Must be a very local phenomena, I've seen no mention in the
newspaper. My usual source of cooling, evaporative cooler, just blows hot
air - the water in it nust be too hot to cool the air. Very strange, Very
miserable.

No, it's not a defective thermometer, all three of my outside
thermometers agree.

Roy

Jul 23, 2016, 2:33:20 PM7/23/16
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 11:49:15 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in news:nmup2g$jrc$1@dont-
> email.me:
>
> > Apparently Washington state is the only state that escaped the high
> heat
> > today.
>
> I'm having my own private high heat this past month. About 6/15 The 100K+
> AZ town in live near had a week-long heat wave, around 115. Then it
> returned to normal - high 90s, low 100s, once in a while low teens. Out
> here in the farmland where I live, about 2 miles west of town, it's
> consistently been around 15 degrees above theirs since then. They report
> 100 on the radio weather report, 1 get 115. Yesterday it was 113 there,
> 132 here. I'm afraid this is going to last all summer. This has never
> happened before - the temperature in both places was always close to the
> same. Must be a very local phenomena, I've seen no mention in the
> newspaper. My usual source of cooling, evaporative cooler, just blows hot
> air - the water in it nust be too hot to cool the air. Very strange, Very
> miserable.
>
> No, it's not a defective thermometer, all three of my outside
> thermometers agree.

Evaporator coolers compound the problem by releasing even more moisture into the air. If you had a proper air conditioner you would experience less discomfort.
====

Ophelia

Jul 23, 2016, 2:40:50 PM7/23/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> That's rather odd - the Brits are at the cutting edge in car melting
> technology. :)
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/03/world/europe/uk-london-building-melts-car/

There you go then! No good asking me what is the new trend here ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

Jul 23, 2016, 3:02:24 PM7/23/16
It depends. My in-law's cooler works swell in Oroville CA. That place is a tinderbox on the verge of exploding i.e., very dry. For them, the summer will probably be a long one.

dsi1

Jul 23, 2016, 3:17:01 PM7/23/16
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 8:40:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1ahoo.com> wrote in message
Buildings with a mirrored concave parabolic surface are not a good idea - they are certainly pretty though. The 30 St Mary Axe building is a design that's pretty and it won't hurt cars - unless they crash into it. :)

Julie Bove

Jul 23, 2016, 3:28:34 PM7/23/16

"Roy" <wil...@outlook.com> wrote in message
They work quite well in a dry climate.

Ophelia

Jul 23, 2016, 4:29:10 PM7/23/16

> Buildings with a mirrored concave parabolic surface are not a good idea -
> they are certainly pretty though. The 30 St Mary Axe building is a design
> that's pretty and it won't hurt cars - unless they crash into it. :)

Hmmmm yes, that could cause a few headaches.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

cshenk

Jul 23, 2016, 5:45:01 PM7/23/16
Roy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

Suspect it's too damp where he is.

dsi1

Jul 23, 2016, 6:05:00 PM7/23/16
Check your water level. If it's not going down, your water pump is not turning on. It's either the switch or the pump that needs to be looked at.

Jeßus

Jul 23, 2016, 7:19:09 PM7/23/16
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 15:04:57 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 7:49:15 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>> I'm having my own private high heat this past month. About 6/15 The 100K+
>> AZ town in live near had a week-long heat wave, around 115. Then it
>> returned to normal - high 90s, low 100s, once in a while low teens. Out
>> here in the farmland where I live, aboutc 2 miles west of town, it's
>> consistently been around 15 degrees above theirs since then. They report
>> 100 on the radio weather report, 1 get 115. Yesterday it was 113 there,
>> 132 here. I'm afraid this is going to last all summer. This has never
>> happened before - the temperature in both places was always close to the
>> same. Must be a very local phenomena, I've seen no mention in the
>> newspaper. My usual source of cooling, evaporative cooler, just blows hot
>> air - the water in it nust be too hot to cool the air. Very strange, Very
>> miserable.
>>
>> No, it's not a defective thermometer, all three of my outside
>> thermometers agree.
>
>Check your water level. If it's not going down, your water pump is not turning on. It's either the switch or the pump that needs to be looked at.

I was about to say it must be high in humdity in AZ (which renders
evap coolers useless) but I just checked the weather and humidity is
only 16% ATM, so it's not that.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=arizona+weather&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=HvqTV9HFDMns0ATF656IBw

dsi1

Jul 23, 2016, 7:48:15 PM7/23/16
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 1:19:09 PM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 15:04:57 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
If I was in most parts of Arizona, I'd sure have a swamp cooler. Under the right conditions, they work amazingly well and use 75% less energy than refrigerant cooling.

Julie Bove

Jul 23, 2016, 10:34:50 PM7/23/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Works well here too. The added moisture in the air is refreshing.

dsi1

Jul 23, 2016, 11:43:14 PM7/23/16
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 4:34:50 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi10yahoo.com> wrote in message
I'll take your word for it.

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 12:03:57 AM7/24/16

"Jeßus" <j@j.j> wrote in message
My old one quit blowing the water out. Not sure why. Worked like a fan but
the water was never getting onto the cooling pad.

jmcquown

Jul 24, 2016, 12:06:18 AM7/24/16
Moisture is not refreshing when it's 100 degrees in the house.

Jill

Roy

Jul 24, 2016, 12:16:42 AM7/24/16
Does nothing ever work in your house? From door locks to garage door openers...nothing but problems it seems.
Maybe you need a maintenance man to go along with the gardener/grounds keeper.
====

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 1:10:43 AM7/24/16

"Roy" <wil...@outlook.com> wrote in message
I don't have a gardener and never had a grounds keeper. What I have now is a
handy man. He does it all.

At one point, Zillow assigned numbers to houses in terms of quality of
construction. They no longer do. Used to be 1 being the worst and 10 being
the best. Mine was 4 as was my friend's in Shoreline. My parent's and bro's
were a 6. I kept plugging random addresses in until I found some 10's. None
in this area. I did find a very few in Seattle. Huge places. Likely custom
built. And 4 was the worst that I ever saw listed.

Both of my swamp coolers were inexpensive. None of the ones I looked at got
very good reviews and the last one I bought got very mixed ones. Those who
got working ones must have gotten very lucky. Mine worked well only a very
few times. I doubt that I will buy another. Unless someone manages to make
one that isn't prone to problems.

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 1:11:22 AM7/24/16

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Yes it is! I don't like dried out skin and eyes.

Gary

Jul 24, 2016, 11:43:23 AM7/24/16
Julie Bove wrote:

> Both of my swamp coolers were inexpensive. None of the ones I looked at got
> very good reviews and the last one I bought got very mixed ones. Those who
> got working ones must have gotten very lucky. Mine worked well only a very
> few times. I doubt that I will buy another. Unless someone manages to make
> one that isn't prone to problems.

Ok Julie. I think I have the perfect solution.
Actually I have 2 solutions. First one is to buy an air conditioner.
It doesn't have to be a whole house one, just small enough to take
off the heat and humidity.

Here's a replacement for your expensive swamp coolers.
The theory is to add moisture into a hot dry environmenr, rigth"

Here's my plan. You said one of your freezers only contains blue ice
things.

Put two of them in a shallow container, a 9X13 baking dish or even a
cookie sheet with sides. Put a small fan to blow right across them. As
the blue ice warms, it will sweat. With the low humidity, the fan
blowing across them will help to add moisture to your air and it will
be cold air too. This will work. Every hour or two replace the blue ice
with more from your freezer full. Rotate your blue ice.

Now it's your turn. Tell me why this won't work. :)

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 6:18:47 PM7/24/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5794E26D...@att.net...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Both of my swamp coolers were inexpensive. None of the ones I looked at
>> got
>> very good reviews and the last one I bought got very mixed ones. Those
>> who
>> got working ones must have gotten very lucky. Mine worked well only a
>> very
>> few times. I doubt that I will buy another. Unless someone manages to
>> make
>> one that isn't prone to problems.
>
> Ok Julie. I think I have the perfect solution.
> Actually I have 2 solutions. First one is to buy an air conditioner.
> It doesn't have to be a whole house one, just small enough to take
> off the heat and humidity.

Take off *what* humidity? You still don't get it. Why do you think I bought
the swamp coolers? To add humidity to the dry air.

> Here's a replacement for your expensive swamp coolers.
> The theory is to add moisture into a hot dry environmenr, rigth"

They do. This is why I bought them and compared to AC, they were not
expensive. This is all a moot point. Even if I did want AC, I flat out have
no money to buy it.

> Here's my plan. You said one of your freezers only contains blue ice
> things.
>
> Put two of them in a shallow container, a 9X13 baking dish or even a
> cookie sheet with sides. Put a small fan to blow right across them. As
> the blue ice warms, it will sweat. With the low humidity, the fan
> blowing across them will help to add moisture to your air and it will
> be cold air too. This will work. Every hour or two replace the blue ice
> with more from your freezer full. Rotate your blue ice.

No. Why? That stuff is there for medical reasons and is frequently being
used for that. We have four people in the house right now. Normal summer
temps. No one is suffering. I have no clue why you want us to have AC right
now. As for the fan and ice thing, I have tried it and it doesn't work any
better than just a fan.

> Now it's your turn. Tell me why this won't work. :)

Sorry. I never made it past high chemistry. But I can tell you that it
doesn't work. I have tried it. Many years ago.

KenK

Jul 25, 2016, 12:40:21 PM7/25/16
Roy <wil...@outlook.com> wrote in
In past years the swamp cooler worked fime as long as the humidy wasn't
too high. I've used one for decades. But in this case, extremely unusual
125+ temps, no help. Guess that's not what they were designed for.

KenK

Jul 25, 2016, 12:43:00 PM7/25/16
dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in
First thing I look at. Plenty of water Pump working fine. Water lines to
pads clear. Pads nice and wet.

KenK

Jul 25, 2016, 12:54:12 PM7/25/16

> Both of my swamp coolers were inexpensive. None of the ones I looked
> at got very good reviews and the last one I bought got very mixed
> ones. Those who got working ones must have gotten very lucky. Mine
> worked well only a very few times. I doubt that I will buy another.
> Unless someone manages to make one that isn't prone to problems.

I've had good luck with all mine over the past 30 - 40 years. Never
bother to look them up - just buy what the installer sells. But you have
to tinker with them. Be sure the lines from the water distributer hub
through the lines to the pads ("spider") are all working right. Things
get plugged up, especially with very hard well water like I have. Have to
be sure the pump is working, that the mesh water filter around pump is
not plugged up. And of course that the water feed to the cooler is
working right and the float valve in the cooler is allowing water to flow
into the cooler.

Sounds like a lot of trouble but usually there are few problems. Easy to
fix things yourself, no expensive A/C servicing bill.

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 4:37:20 PM7/25/16

"KenK" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message
Weird.

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 4:38:44 PM7/25/16

"KenK" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message
Mine were cheap portables. Nothing to install. Storing them when not in use
was a problem though. No good place to put them.

dsi1

Jul 25, 2016, 4:49:29 PM7/25/16
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 6:43:00 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in
It's an interesting problem. My guess is that the hotter the temperature, the better one of these gizmos would work. Make sure that the relative humidity is not too high. How high is too high? Beats me but if everything is working, it's got to be the humidity. Good luck!

Roy

Jul 25, 2016, 5:24:20 PM7/25/16
Don't you have an unused garage?
====

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 5:38:42 PM7/25/16

"Roy" <wil...@outlook.com> wrote in message
No. We have a very tiny room that is called a garage. It is not large enough
to park a car in. We keep our stockpile out there. Things like paper goods
and canned goods. Also the small upright freezer, some seasonal decorations
and tools. It's flat out fill, save for the small walking path.

We do have the back house. Although there is room in there, it would be too
hard to get the unit back there. Trying to roll it that far on the cement
would damage the wheels. We do have a small flatbed but the ground is so
uneven that it's not worth trying to use that. Doesn't work very well.

Roy

Jul 25, 2016, 6:05:52 PM7/25/16
A "back house", you have out back? What pray tell is this building? An old residence perhaps? Do you rent it out? I'm looking for a six-month rental come winter...perhaps we could make a deal. Your winters are mild and ours aren't. I could even fix it up for part of the rent. Hmmmm, the possibilities abound.
====

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 25, 2016, 7:51:51 PM7/25/16
Depends on the capacity and design criteria. If a cooling system is
designed for a 25 degree drop, you will be a comfortable 75 when it is
100 outside. If the temperature goes to 125 outside, you will
uncomfortably be 100 inside. Only way to cool the house more is to add
more cooling. Evaporative coolers depend on low humidity too.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 12:35:22 AM7/26/16

"Roy" <wil...@outlook.com> wrote in message
I don't know what the original intent of the building was. It's 400 sq. ft.
Cement floor, fireplace, shop lights, heat and phone. Husband had planned on
insulating it and putting up drywall and a floor. I think he did one roll of
insulation, then just a wee bit of drywall near the fireplace. Handyman did
say that he was asking about getting it finished.

The main problem is that there is no water. Handyman said it would be easy
enough to get water back there. Such as a hose. But would be far too costly
to get waste water back out of there. He suggested a composting toilet.
Nope. Not into those.

For the most part, the building is unused. We do store photo albums, bikes,
seasonal decorations and other things. Husband's original intent was a place
for the guys to hang out and play cards. I put the kibosh on that. I've had
enough of drunk military guys passing out in my house. Not that it would
necessarily happen now but it could. And with no bathroom, I don't want guys
peeing outside which I know they will do or worse still, trekking back and
forth in and out of the house.

I was then going to turn it into a dance studio. When our studio was moving,
they were selling things like the mirrors and barres for cheap. The problem?
The floor. Sprung floors are not cheap. So... That didn't happen.

More recently, the teens asked if they could use it as a hangout. Husband
agreed to let them do this. I did buy some cheap curtains and a few things
that they chose from Big Lots. But mostly they are making use of things that
we already have. So it isn't costing me much to let them use it. I even
offered to get them a fridge but they didn't want one.

It is next to the fire pit, so if it starts raining when they are out there,
they can duck inside the building.

sf

Jul 26, 2016, 1:27:22 AM7/26/16
I don't care what others are saying about your fire pit, deck, and now
the shack in back... I think it's great that you're doing this for
your daughter. It's a safe place for her to hang out with her friends
and you can keep an eye on them from inside the house. They won't
feel like they're right under your nose and you won't be worrying
about them.

--

sf

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 26, 2016, 4:37:18 AM7/26/16
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 6:05:52 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:

> A "back house", you have out back? What pray tell is this building? An old residence perhaps? Do you rent it out? I'm looking for a six-month rental come winter...perhaps we could make a deal. Your winters are mild and ours aren't. I could even fix it up for part of the rent. Hmmmm, the possibilities abound.

I'm pretty sure most people would refer to it as a "shed".

Cindy Hamilton

Janet

Jul 26, 2016, 9:07:13 AM7/26/16
In article <fvsdpbp1thf0rcb31...@4ax.com>, s...@geemail.com
says...
> I don't care what others are saying about your fire pit, deck, and now
> the shack in back... I think it's great that you're doing this for
> your daughter. It's a safe place for her to hang out with her friends
> and you can keep an eye on them from inside the house. They won't
> feel like they're right under your nose and you won't be worrying
> about them.

It would be a great set up for 10 yr olds.

This lot have left High school and are young adults. By 18 they SHOULD
be hanging out without parental supervision, and not need to be corraled
in the back yard where Mummy can keep an eye on them. Talk about
helicopter parents!

Janet UK

KenK

Jul 26, 2016, 9:38:13 AM7/26/16
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in
Ah. Don't know about them. Never had one. Just one roof, the rest window
units. Been using one for some 30 - 40 years.

sf

Jul 26, 2016, 11:41:54 AM7/26/16
I don't know what kids do for entertainment where you are, but there
is very little that's free out here - and that leaves underage
drinking. If a firepit can keep them entertained and happy, I'm fine
with them working on their verbal skills. They can go off to college
to do their underage drinking.

--

sf

Gary

Jul 26, 2016, 12:15:40 PM7/26/16
Jackass! Nothing wrong with what Julie is doing (I agree with sf). Maybe
you should back off on cutting people down and try to improve your own
worthless life. You appear to be unhappy so you get your jollies by
critisizing other peoples lives. I'm not impressed. Now go ahead and
retort by telling me how I'm such a loser. lol.

Ophelia

Jul 26, 2016, 12:32:27 PM7/26/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:57978D00...@att.net...
You and me both! It is the only way she can get any jollies. She seems to
need to put others down to make herself feel important.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 3:49:02 PM7/26/16

"Janet" <nob...@home.com> wrote in message
Not all of them have left high school. My daughter did graduate and so did a
few others. The others have not.

I am not a helicopter parent and I am not supervising. But it is a place
where they can go and not spend any money because really most of them have
no money. My daughter was working at a restaurant but she quit and I agreed
that she should. Why? They kept putting her on the schedule. She'd get
dressed, drive to work, only to have them tell her that she wasn't needed
that day. When she tried to call ahead of time to see if she was needed,
they told her that she wasn't allowed to call them. Or on the few occasions
that she did work, they'd tell her that she had to stay late but wouldn't
allow her to call and tell us this. This of course left her dad and I
wondering where she was. The only thing we could do was drive there and see
if her car was outside. He did call once to see if she was still there and
she got in trouble for him calling.

It wasn't just her that they did this to. Many of her friends were employed
by this place as well. Worse still, the manager was constantly recruiting
people via FB, saying they were desperate for help. They weren't. They had
over a dozen people trained to work who never got any work after the
training period was over. Meanwhile, the same few people who had been there
for a while were getting all of the hours.

I could probably write a novel of things that were wrong with this place,
right down to having no recipes. They served ice cream treats that were
their own recipe and yet they expected the new employees to just know what
to put in them and how to make them. These things came in different sizes so
the poor workers had no clue if they were putting the right amount of
ingredients in or in the case of the ones with multiple ingredients, if they
were even using the right ingredients. Manager said they should just know
what was in there because... Hadn't they eaten them before? Anyway... She is
no longer working there.

And the summer job she had applied for didn't work out. This one would have
been perfect for her based on the job description. But when she arrived for
the interview, the woman threw a ton of other stuff in there that would have
included her caring for far more people than her own daughter and driving
them to a variety of places, far away. Worse still, the woman kept stringing
her along. Giving her a vague date for the interview, then canceling and
putting it off. She did this for about a month. And things she said at the
interview were not adding up so... I was rather relieved.

Most of these teens aren't going to be here for long anyway. They're almost
all moving away and far enough away that we likely won't see them often.
Especially since most have no vehicle and there is no bus service here.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 3:50:05 PM7/26/16

"KenK" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message
Oh! I don't know about those although I have read that the roof ones are
common in businesses here.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 4:02:35 PM7/26/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
There really isn't much. When I was a teen there was an underage club in
Seattle but it was like a MLM type thing in the sense that you couldn't get
in unless you knew someone to recommend you. You had to have a membership
card and then still pay a cover fee each time. My friends and I only went
there once as we sensed that there was something shady about the place.

Movies are extremely expensive. I set a bunch of people off laughing when I
paid for two tickets to a 3D show. Said that it had better be a good show as
I could get a Mexican meal for that price! And that was just the tickets. I
still had to buy refreshments which were also very expensive.

There are fewer bowling alleys than there used to be. And often if you do
want to bowl, you can't because they have leagues going.

There are a few swimming pools but they have set times for various things.
Sometimes only for adults and some of these kids are not 18 yet. Sometimes
for families or parents and toddlers.

There are parks but more and more those are becoming drug infested places
where you don't want to be.

There are a few malls but there aren't any really good places to just hang
out there. You'll drive around forever looking for parking and then once
inside, you're bound to find something you want to buy. Plus shop owners
don't really want non-buying teens hanging out in there.

Going out to eat does cost money. She does have a lot of Starbucks gift
cards so that is one option but many of them have no indoor seating or so
little seating that it would be difficult to sit in there.

My high school and college hangout was Denny's but they seem to no longer
allow people to sit there for hours on end having little more than endless
cups of coffee. In those days we had three 24 hour restaurants very close
together and we'd go from place to place, occasionally going to a few others
so we didn't wear out our welcome in any one place.

The beach is hard to go to as well. They tend to be crowded on nice days and
there is no place to park. And then you are stuck out in the sun. That's not
an option for some who have to avoid the sun.

sf

Jul 26, 2016, 6:11:34 PM7/26/16
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:02:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> The beach is hard to go to as well. They tend to be crowded on nice days and
> there is no place to park. And then you are stuck out in the sun. That's not
> an option for some who have to avoid the sun.

And bonfires aren't allowed at night, at least where I live.... so
that leaves the backyard fire pit.

--

sf

Dave Smith

Jul 26, 2016, 7:09:39 PM7/26/16
It has been so dry around here that even fire pits are not allowed. We
had not had any real rain since April 30. We finally saw some rain
yesterday, and the forecast is for rain for the weekend, but over the
last few months we had lots of forecasts for rain that never
materialized. I was starting to wonder if there was any science behind
the forecasts or if they were just playing the odds.

jmcquown

Jul 26, 2016, 8:07:11 PM7/26/16
She says it has a fireplace. I've never heard of a "shed" that has a
fireplace. <shrug>

Jill

Janet

Jul 26, 2016, 8:12:16 PM7/26/16
In article <qv0fpb1iv9m3oeq3v...@4ax.com>, s...@geemail.com
says...
By that age most 18 yr old school leavers here are eager to spread
their wings and responsible enough to leave the nest, and/or get a
summer job to earn some money. Living on an island they've grown up
making their own entertainment with plenty of free alternatives to
underage drinking; playing sports and music, holding dances, and some
highly inventive and successful charity fund raising.

Janet UK

cshenk

Jul 26, 2016, 8:13:31 PM7/26/16
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> More recently, the teens asked if they could use it as a hangout.
> Husband agreed to let them do this. I did buy some cheap curtains and
> a few things that they chose from Big Lots. But mostly they are
> making use of things that we already have. So it isn't costing me
> much to let them use it. I even offered to get them a fridge but they
> didn't want one.
>
> It is next to the fire pit, so if it starts raining when they are out
> there, they can duck inside the building.

I like that idea. A simple hangout spot that costs nothing and yet
away from the parents. Boom box, maybe practice rapping with no parents
to get in the way (or whatever else they wanna do).

On the floor, I assume it's on a cement pad? (structures of that size
normally are). 20x20 or so for 400feet. On flooring, for a simple
hangout if the floor stays dry, you can let them have fun painting with
artwork in multiple colors (later if repurposed, paint dark brown
overall and can antique a light color over). Area rugs. If it gets
damp, use indoor outdoor carpet and they have some very nice ones now.
Quite inexpensive and you can roll it out yourself so don't need to pay
anyone.

Can I dream a little as if I had that spot? First Don would make it
into a work room but let me dream something else!

I'd insulate then put up paneling (cheap and easy) and then paint the
floor brown and let my kid decorate it with pokemon around the edges
and put in some indoor/outdoor carpet. Ceiling fan with lights and a
portble AC unit for summer and some portable heater for winter. Cast
off sofa from freecycle (maybe 2 in that space), coffee table
(refinished from a freecycle offer), a mini-fridge, a 32 inch TV and
DVD player, something that played music, and curtin off a section for a
portable toilet and think about a mini-kitchen (no sink, just take that
inside at need to wash).

Smile, could be a mini-home for my daughter if she married and they
needed a place to stay until stable. Not perfect, but could be worked
with.

Janet

Jul 26, 2016, 8:28:06 PM7/26/16
In article <57978D00...@att.net>, g.ma...@att.net says...
Oh here we go again, more second hand Gary gabble. First
spineless Gary decides which second hand opinion bandwagon to jump
aboard, then he struts around telling other people they can't express
their own opinion.

Nancy got your number when she told you if you wanted an opinion
just ask and she'll tell you what to think.

Janet

Janet UK

jmcquown

Jul 26, 2016, 8:32:51 PM7/26/16
On 7/24/2016 1:11 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Works well here too. The added moisture in the air is refreshing.
>>
>> Moisture is not refreshing when it's 100 degrees in the house.
>
> Yes it is! I don't like dried out skin and eyes.

I don't have dried out skin and eyes. Then again, it's not 100 degrees
in my house.

Jill

jinx the minx

Jul 26, 2016, 10:58:40 PM7/26/16
I'm guessing by "fireplace" she means "wood stove". They're not an
uncommon shed find in my part of the world. My grandfather had one in his.

--
jinx the minx

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:07:25 AM7/27/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Yeah. The beaches and parks here close at dusk. I think the mall closes at
9:00. We don't even have any 24 hour places near here any more except
perhaps for one grocery store. It was 24 hours for a time but there were so
many stabbings, shootings and robberies there at night, I'll bet they're not
now. Walmart isn't any more either.

Rather they come here than someone else's house where the people have to get
up and go to work. They're not disturbing anyone here.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:08:20 AM7/27/16

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
No current burn ban here but it sure has been dry. We had little spits of
rain now and then but nothing much to speak of.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:09:22 AM7/27/16

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Yes. Or a phone line or heater. It's also 400 sq. feet. We do have a garden
shed at the side of the house.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:10:50 AM7/27/16

"jinx the minx" <jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
No. I mean fireplace. And they're not common here. It doesn't get that cold.
There's a heater in there as well. And lights. And a phone line. Our shed
does have a light but none of those other things.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:12:16 AM7/27/16

"Janet" <nob...@home.com> wrote in message
But we're not there, are we? And they're not all school leavers. As I said,
quite a few will be returning to HS next year.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:21:52 AM7/27/16

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> More recently, the teens asked if they could use it as a hangout.
>> Husband agreed to let them do this. I did buy some cheap curtains and
>> a few things that they chose from Big Lots. But mostly they are
>> making use of things that we already have. So it isn't costing me
>> much to let them use it. I even offered to get them a fridge but they
>> didn't want one.
>>
>> It is next to the fire pit, so if it starts raining when they are out
>> there, they can duck inside the building.
>
> I like that idea. A simple hangout spot that costs nothing and yet
> away from the parents. Boom box, maybe practice rapping with no parents
> to get in the way (or whatever else they wanna do).
>
> On the floor, I assume it's on a cement pad? (structures of that size
> normally are). 20x20 or so for 400feet. On flooring, for a simple
> hangout if the floor stays dry, you can let them have fun painting with
> artwork in multiple colors (later if repurposed, paint dark brown
> overall and can antique a light color over). Area rugs. If it gets
> damp, use indoor outdoor carpet and they have some very nice ones now.
> Quite inexpensive and you can roll it out yourself so don't need to pay
> anyone.

They do have area rugs. I offered to buy something bigger but they preferred
to make do with what we had. I did buy some new area rugs for her room so
they took the old ones and put them back there.

> Can I dream a little as if I had that spot? First Don would make it
> into a work room but let me dream something else!
>
> I'd insulate then put up paneling (cheap and easy) and then paint the
> floor brown and let my kid decorate it with pokemon around the edges
> and put in some indoor/outdoor carpet. Ceiling fan with lights and a
> portble AC unit for summer and some portable heater for winter. Cast
> off sofa from freecycle (maybe 2 in that space), coffee table
> (refinished from a freecycle offer), a mini-fridge, a 32 inch TV and
> DVD player, something that played music, and curtin off a section for a
> portable toilet and think about a mini-kitchen (no sink, just take that
> inside at need to wash).

Beadboard had been suggested for the walls. I did get her a radio for her
birthday that I had hoped would match the color scheme but it doesn't quite.
I didn't want to spend a lot of money on that as they seem not to use such
things much. Mostly they get songs on their phones. I don't know about TV
back there either as we can't get it without cable and there's no cable back
there. We did agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to put upholstered
furntire in there given the many spiders that get in there. Handyman said
once it is fully finished inside with insulation and walls (if it ever is),
that problem will greatly lessen. So they are using a chair that I got at a
restaurant supply place many years ago. It's a gold glitter vinyl, 50's
restaurant style, some old computer chairs and lawn furniture.

> Smile, could be a mini-home for my daughter if she married and they
> needed a place to stay until stable. Not perfect, but could be worked
> with.

Yeah. It does have possibilities and due to the shape, it would be very easy
to curtain off or put up screens or something to have one section for
storage. There is also a loft above for storage but we don't use that any
more. Too dangerous to access it I think.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:25:18 AM7/27/16

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
I presume that you live in an area with high summer humidity? For the most
part, we only have high humidity when it is colder. Say, 50 degrees or less.
As the temp. rises, the humidity tends to go down. Right now it is 83 in the
house with 40% humidity.

Bruce

Jul 27, 2016, 4:02:30 AM7/27/16
In article <MPG.32020cb...@news.individual.net>,
nob...@home.com says...

> In article <qv0fpb1iv9m3oeq3v...@4ax.com>, s...@geemail.com
> says...
> >
> > I don't know what kids do for entertainment where you are, but there
> > is very little that's free out here - and that leaves underage
> > drinking. If a firepit can keep them entertained and happy, I'm fine
> > with them working on their verbal skills. They can go off to college
> > to do their underage drinking.
>
> By that age most 18 yr old school leavers here are eager to spread
> their wings and responsible enough to leave the nest, and/or get a
> summer job to earn some money. Living on an island they've grown up
> making their own entertainment with plenty of free alternatives to
> underage drinking; playing sports and music, holding dances, and some
> highly inventive and successful charity fund raising.

Isn't it a wonderful land.

Ophelia

Jul 27, 2016, 4:11:22 AM7/27/16
"Bruce" wrote in message
-------------------------

Hmm that is a matter of opinion. but then Janet lives in a perfect land
living her perfect life as you well know:))

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Bruce

Jul 27, 2016, 4:38:35 AM7/27/16
In article <dvr8l5...@mid.individual.net>, OphEl...@gmail.com
says...
Yes, I had never even heard of 18 yr old school leavers who are into
"free alternatives to underage drinking" before.

Ophelia

Jul 27, 2016, 4:45:10 AM7/27/16
"Bruce" wrote in message

We are just not up with the perfect! I suppose I shouldn't be happy, but
... ;-)

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 27, 2016, 6:53:23 AM7/27/16
I posted that before I read down to her description.

In any event, every time she writes "back house", my mind irresistibly
associates to "outhouse", even though I know that's not what it is.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Jul 27, 2016, 9:22:45 AM7/27/16
You presume correctly. I live in an area where 40% humidity in the
*winter* is about average. Right now it's ONLY 83°F outside but the
humidity is 73%. Step outside and it feels like someone wrapped a hot
wet towel around you. Not at all comfortable.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 27, 2016, 9:32:23 AM7/27/16
It's not nearly as bad here in Michigan, but I consider anything below
50% to be a nice, dry day. Right now the temp and humidity are
both about 72, but by 11 am the temp will be 85 F and the humidity
48%. It's shaping up to be a pleasant day, even though it's supposed
to hit 90. Tomorrow, not so much. For those of you who think in
those terms (as I understand desert-dwellers tend to), the dew point
will be hovering between 60 and 65 F for the foreseeable future.

Cindy Hamilton

Brooklyn1

Jul 27, 2016, 9:32:32 AM7/27/16
Heated sheds are very common in upstate NY, I have one with three heat
sources, oil, propane, and electric, however as of last week the oil
fired furnace was removed and soon so will the 275 gallon oil tank.
Many sheds and rooms within barns are heated with small woodstoves.

Cheri

Jul 27, 2016, 11:30:33 AM7/27/16

> On 7/27/2016 1:25 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> I don't have dried out skin and eyes. Then again, it's not 100
>>> degrees in my house.
>>
>> I presume that you live in an area with high summer humidity? For the
>> most part, we only have high humidity when it is colder. Say, 50 degrees
>> or less. As the temp. rises, the humidity tends to go down. Right now it
>> is 83 in the house with 40% humidity.
>
> You presume correctly. I live in an area where 40% humidity in the
> *winter* is about average. Right now it's ONLY 83°F outside but the
> humidity is 73%. Step outside and it feels like someone wrapped a hot wet
> towel around you. Not at all comfortable.
>
> Jill

Yesterday it was around 108 where I am, but thankfully the humidity is low,
still hot as Hell though and supposed to be that way for several more days.

Cheri

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 11:46:14 AM7/27/16
I'm working outside in this heat wave. Morning temps in the 80's and
humidity about the same. Also absolutely no wind and that's the worst
part. Then temps rising to the mid-90's and heat index lately often
110 F or so. It's not a fun life. You walk out in this to your car is
one thing. Try working outside in it for hours. We start early and
leave by 11am. I hate to quit that early but that's survival.

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 12:53:41 PM7/27/16
Cheri wrote:

> Yesterday it was around 108 where I am, but thankfully the humidity is low,
> still hot as Hell though and supposed to be that way for several more days.

So extremely miserable here, way worse than normal. And I'm working
outside in it. dammit@

sf

Jul 27, 2016, 1:33:21 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 08:30:15 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

> Yesterday it was around 108 where I am, but thankfully the humidity is low,
> still hot as Hell though and supposed to be that way for several more days.

I got the call from PG&E - tomorrow is the 3rd Smart Day in a row.
I'm doing my part (expected high of 71°) so you guys can use your air
conditioners! Have you ever considered solar panels?

--

sf

sf

Jul 27, 2016, 1:35:47 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:47:38 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

> I'm working outside in this heat wave. Morning temps in the 80's and
> humidity about the same. Also absolutely no wind and that's the worst
> part. Then temps rising to the mid-90's and heat index lately often
> 110 F or so. It's not a fun life. You walk out in this to your car is
> one thing. Try working outside in it for hours. We start early and
> leave by 11am. I hate to quit that early but that's survival.

I feel for anyone who has to work outside on those ungodly hot days...
roofers, asphalt, farm workers - none of it is easy, especially in the
heat.

--

sf

Cheri

Jul 27, 2016, 2:21:54 PM7/27/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5798E76A...@att.net...
I'm very sorry to hear that Gary, you aren't old, but you're not a real
young man either, and that heat can definitely kill people of all ages when
doing that kind of work. The roofers and outside painters have a miserable
time of it at times, but at least the roofers aren't allowed on the roofs in
that kind of heat around here, dunno about the painters.

Cheri

cshenk

Jul 27, 2016, 9:43:21 PM7/27/16
Works for me! This need not be fancy.

> > Can I dream a little as if I had that spot? First Don would make it
> > into a work room but let me dream something else!
> >
> > I'd insulate then put up paneling (cheap and easy) and then paint
> > the floor brown and let my kid decorate it with pokemon around the
> > edges and put in some indoor/outdoor carpet. Ceiling fan with
> > lights and a portble AC unit for summer and some portable heater
> > for winter. Cast off sofa from freecycle (maybe 2 in that space),
> > coffee table (refinished from a freecycle offer), a mini-fridge, a
> > 32 inch TV and DVD player, something that played music, and curtin
> > off a section for a portable toilet and think about a mini-kitchen
> > (no sink, just take that inside at need to wash).
>
> Beadboard had been suggested for the walls. I did get her a radio for
> her birthday that I had hoped would match the color scheme but it
> doesn't quite. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on that as they
> seem not to use such things much. Mostly they get songs on their
> phones. I don't know about TV back there either as we can't get it
> without cable and there's no cable back there. We did agree that it
> wouldn't be a good idea to put upholstered furntire in there given
> the many spiders that get in there. Handyman said once it is fully
> finished inside with insulation and walls (if it ever is), that
> problem will greatly lessen. So they are using a chair that I got at
> a restaurant supply place many years ago. It's a gold glitter vinyl,
> 50's restaurant style, some old computer chairs and lawn furniture.

I'd add a regular TV and a DVD player (can be gotten for 50$ or less)
but not string cable TV out there. Costs too much most of the time to
add another outlet.

Handyman is right that once it's sealed, spider issues vanish or reduce
a lot.

> > Smile, could be a mini-home for my daughter if she married and they
> > needed a place to stay until stable. Not perfect, but could be
> > worked with.
>
> Yeah. It does have possibilities and due to the shape, it would be
> very easy to curtain off or put up screens or something to have one
> section for storage. There is also a loft above for storage but we
> don't use that any more. Too dangerous to access it I think.

Curtin or section off very easy with a 400sqft spot. I once lived in an
8x50ft trailer. It had a livingroom, kitchen, bathroom, and a master
bedroom and a tiny bedroom. 400sqft.

I also lived in an attic loft once (college years) that was usable
space of 400sqft but I used the edges with tension rods to hang fabric
storage areas behind it. I built out a closet with cloth and tension
rods to the beams then used fishing line to drop a rod and hang clothes
there.

Julie Bove

Jul 28, 2016, 4:02:41 AM7/28/16

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
I'm not sure what you'd do with a DVD player. I don't even think we have one
that works. We don't use DVDs. I was given a couple as gifts but I gave them
away. I have no interest.

Cheryl

Aug 1, 2016, 10:20:26 PM8/1/16
On 7/22/2016 11:42 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Apparently Washington state is the only state that escaped the high heat
> today. Except perhaps for downtown Bothell where sadly, much of it was
> lost in the wee hours to fire. The owner of a fairly new restaurant that
> serves food and sells board games said that he reported something around
> 2:30 a.m. They are open until midnight and he was closing up to go home.
> Said he smelled smoke but at first, nobody could find the source.
>
> We still don't know the particulars except that it wiped out much for
> about 5-7 blocks. Two restaurants, at least one bank, a small mall and
> much damage to vegetation and cars. They melted. Luckily nobody was
> hurt. All we know is that it started in a newly remodeled but not
> finished apartment complex. They say it could take weeks to months to
> find out the cause, if they ever do.
>
> http://www.king5.com/news/local/massive-fire-spreads-to-nearby-businesses-in-downtown-bothell/279666139
>

> At any rate, tonight's dinner is hamburger gravy with celery, onion and
> green pepper over mashed potatoes. It's not exactly chilly here but not
> hot either and we are expected to have hot weather coming. So...
> Tonight's the night for hot food. Got pasta salad and fruit salad for
> later.

We've had some dangerous and damaging weather here too. Saturday some
damaging rain with lots of flooding came through, and one nearby city
was flooded in a way I haven't seen here outside of hurricane remnants
in a long time.

Look at these "rapids" going down Main St Ellicott City MD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgiddVgBZlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4rn1g_24Mc (watch for one guy trying to
stop his car, he doesn't die)

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

Cheryl

Aug 1, 2016, 10:26:19 PM8/1/16
On 7/26/2016 8:32 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Moisture is not refreshing when it's 100 degrees in the house.
>>
>> Yes it is! I don't like dried out skin and eyes.
>
> I don't have dried out skin and eyes. Then again, it's not 100 degrees
> in my house.
>
> Jill

Plus you need to sweat to cool down, and that's perfect in dry heat.
Humid heat, not so much.

Julie Bove

Aug 1, 2016, 10:40:36 PM8/1/16

"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Wow. Just not good. It's getting dark here now and we're supposed to have a
thunder storm. I will believe it when I see it.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2016, 10:47:56 PM8/1/16
Sounds exciting! We had some exciting times last week with thunder and lighting. It's your turn now. Meanwhile, we're all smiles over here.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/HT_Volcano_BM_20160801_12x5_1600.jpg

Julie Bove

Aug 2, 2016, 12:52:21 AM8/2/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Apparently we also had a shooting here 11 days ago. The block and street
looked extremely close. I looked it up and under the map was a pic of my
house, next door neighbor's house and Angela's car. Say what? I saw nothing
on FB or on the news about this. I got an e-mail from spotcrime.com. Lovely!
There is a disclaimer that the pic is not necessarily the actual address.

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Aug 2, 2016, 9:52:53 AM8/2/16
On 7/22/2016 8:42 PM, Julie BovINE wrote:

> Tonight's dinner is hamburger gravy with celery, onion and
> green pepper over mashed potatoes. It's not exactly chilly here but not
> hot either and we are expected to have hot weather coming. So...
> Tonight's the night for hot food. Got pasta salad and fruit salad for
> later.

Dear Julie,

Keep on eatin', girl!
LOL

dsi1

Aug 2, 2016, 1:30:55 PM8/2/16
On Monday, August 1, 2016 at 6:52:21 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
Spotcrime.com is funny. It actually sounds like a pretty good idea. People are always interested in crime.

Julie Bove

Aug 2, 2016, 3:34:54 PM8/2/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I used to use Crimemapping but our Sherriff's office quit reporting to them.
Today I discovered a rash of thefts near here. What I dislike about this is
that there seems to be a delay in the reporting and it doesn't give me the
exact address. Helps if I can talk to the neighbor and find out what was
taken so I know what not to do or to do or whatever.

dsi1

Aug 2, 2016, 3:44:45 PM8/2/16
If you could get real-time info on crime in you town, the site would explode. Oh yeah. :)

Jeßus

Aug 2, 2016, 4:31:54 PM8/2/16
On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 12:34:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>I used to use Crimemapping but our Sherriff's office quit reporting to them.
>Today I discovered a rash of thefts near here. What I dislike about this is
>that there seems to be a delay in the reporting and it doesn't give me the
>exact address.

Because of privacy issues and it would also become an aid for
criminals.

Julie Bove

Aug 2, 2016, 5:46:01 PM8/2/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I actually do get some via FB. We have a community crime site.

Julie Bove

Aug 2, 2016, 5:46:25 PM8/2/16

"Jeßus" <j@j.j> wrote in message
How so?

Jeßus

Aug 3, 2016, 12:25:19 AM8/3/16
On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 14:46:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Jeßus" <j@j.j> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 12:34:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I used to use Crimemapping but our Sherriff's office quit reporting to
>>>them.
>>>Today I discovered a rash of thefts near here. What I dislike about this
>>>is
>>>that there seems to be a delay in the reporting and it doesn't give me the
>>>exact address.
>>
>> Because of privacy issues and it would also become an aid for
>> criminals.
>
>How so?

For a start, it will tell crims where NOT to steal from, what areas to
avoid or conversely might attract crims to an address or area,
depending on what info is included.

Julie Bove

Aug 3, 2016, 1:53:13 AM8/3/16

"Jeßus" <j@j.j> wrote in message
It used to just list the offense, the date, time and show the house on a
map. Did not give the actual address but it was easy enough to determine
when it was the house next door. I do try to go outside from time to time
but given that I have no details whatever on the shooting, it does make me
leery. We are pretty sure that drug deals are going on across the street
from our house. Why there? No clue. I will sit out there and stare at cars
that are there for a long time with no apparent reason. There are plenty of
places to pull a car over. Doesn't need to be across from my house.
Especially since it's often the same damned car.

Jeßus

Aug 3, 2016, 3:43:19 PM8/3/16
On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 22:53:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
I know it's a big upheaval, but why not move? The way you have
described where you live here makes it sounds like an awful place.

Julie Bove

Aug 3, 2016, 10:18:38 PM8/3/16

"Jeßus" <j@j.j> wrote in message
Move? How in the world could we do that? I have no money to move. I just
spent the last of what I did have fixing this place up. And when we first
moved here, this was a rather sleepy city. Farm country. But not long after
the big boom occurred and suddenly everyone and his brother wanted to move
here. Which is partly why the crime rate has escalated. Too many people
moving in and not enough law enforcement around. But it's pretty much like
that everywhere here now. Wouldn't really matter where we moved to, assuming
that was even an option. You just never know what will happen.

Jeßus

Aug 4, 2016, 4:45:20 PM8/4/16
On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 19:18:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
You could... PLAN AHEAD? What do you mean "How in the world could we
do that"? How does anyone manage to do anything...

> I just
>spent the last of what I did have fixing this place up. And when we first
>moved here, this was a rather sleepy city. Farm country. But not long after
>the big boom occurred and suddenly everyone and his brother wanted to move
>here. Which is partly why the crime rate has escalated. Too many people
>moving in and not enough law enforcement around. But it's pretty much like
>that everywhere here now.

I doubt it's like that almost everywhere.

>Wouldn't really matter where we moved to, assuming
>that was even an option. You just never know what will happen.

That's right.

Cheryl

Aug 5, 2016, 12:26:10 AM8/5/16
On 7/26/2016 3:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> She'd get dressed, drive to work, only to have them tell her that she
> wasn't needed that day. When she tried to call ahead of time to see if
> she was needed, they told her that she wasn't allowed to call them. Or
> on the few occasions that she did work, they'd tell her that she had to
> stay late but wouldn't allow her to call and tell us this. This of
> course left her dad and I wondering where she was. The only thing we
> could do was drive there and see if her car was outside. He did call
> once to see if she was still there and she got in trouble for him calling.

I'm sorry Julie but I find this very hard to believe. You might have
answered it later because as you can tell I'm not replying to a current
post because I've just been too busy. They wouldn't allow an 18 year
old to call home to say she has to work late? No fk'n way is that
happening anywhere.

Julie Bove

Aug 5, 2016, 12:37:21 AM8/5/16

"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
She wasn't 18. She was 17. I don't want to list the restaurant here but it
has very bad online reviews and for the same reasons I gave. Nobody is
trained properly to make the food so they just guess at how to make it or
have to go by the customer's instructions.

But please don't tell me that would never happen. I wasn't supposed to use
the phone for personal reasons when I was working at K Mart. I did sneak and
use it on occasion but they later had the phone bugged and people were fired
for using it. They wouldn't let me call home either. Granted, I was 19. But
they also wouldn't let anyone call their husband or wife. We did have a pay
phone and we were allowed to use that on our break.

Angela got no break whatever on most days. Not that she worked very often.
She did not. Most of the time they just sent her back home. But on her
second night of work, they would not let her call us and we became worried.
My husband called there and asked if she was still at work. The manager said
that she was. The manager was also a 16 year old who is no longer there. The
whole thing was a joke.

Julie Bove

Aug 5, 2016, 5:54:00 AM8/5/16

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 00:26:00 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> On 7/26/2016 3:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> She'd get dressed, drive to work, only to have them tell her that she
>>> wasn't needed that day. When she tried to call ahead of time to see if
>>> she was needed, they told her that she wasn't allowed to call them. Or
>>> on the few occasions that she did work, they'd tell her that she had to
>>> stay late but wouldn't allow her to call and tell us this. This of
>>> course left her dad and I wondering where she was. The only thing we
>>> could do was drive there and see if her car was outside. He did call
>>> once to see if she was still there and she got in trouble for him
>>> calling.
>>
>> I'm sorry Julie but I find this very hard to believe.
>
> I think everybody does. But it's not worth engaging her. Let her
> have her fantasies. That's how businesses work on Planet Bove.

How could that be a fantasy? I am thinking back to the job that I had in
high school. It was for an inventory company. We never knew how long our
shifts might be. Sometimes they were 12 hours if you counted travel time. We
could never use the phone while working. Only after we were done, only if
there was time and there usually wasn't and only if we found a pay phone. No
cell phones in those days.

It is loading more messages.