How do you eat your corn dog?

Christopher M.

Jul 31, 2012, 1:15:09 PM7/31/12
How do you eat your corn dog? Plain? With a little mustard?

Dijonaisse is nice.

Maybe some tartar sauce?

I thought cranberry mustard might be a nice complement to the corn batter.
But maybe not so much.

Andalouse sauce is very tasty (an onion, red and green pepper, lemon and
tomato paste infused mayo).

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Ema Nymton

Jul 31, 2012, 1:50:56 PM7/31/12
On 7/31/2012 12:15 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> How do you eat your corn dog? Plain? With a little mustard?

With mustard, of course. George tried corn dogs for the first time, but
he only took one bite. That was more for me. :-D

Becca

zxcvbob

Jul 31, 2012, 1:52:38 PM7/31/12
Cheap yellow mustard. I don't normally like yellow mustard, but it
works for corn-dogs.

Hot Chinese mustard might be worth a try, OTOH it might not be sour enough.

-Bob

Dave Smith

Jul 31, 2012, 2:02:13 PM7/31/12
I have never eaten a corn dog and I would be quite happy if I manage to
go the rest of my life without eating one. I have seen them for sale at
fairs but have never been inspired to try one. Maybe it is because I
associate them with so many of the other fair foods that have turned my
stomach in the past. I realize it is not as as cotton candy or candied
popcorn, but it ranks up there with a lot of the other foods that you
should not eat.

Christopher M.

Jul 31, 2012, 2:38:27 PM7/31/12

"zxcvbob" <zxc...@charter.net> wrote in message
I like yellow mustard. It seems to be a good contrast to the sweetness of
the corn dog.

Maybe some dill mustard might be nice.

djs...@aol.com

Jul 31, 2012, 3:15:32 PM7/31/12
On Jul 31, 1:15 pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
> How do you eat your corn dog?

I don't. I've never liked corn dogs.

meda...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2012, 3:31:24 PM7/31/12
Yet you're reading a clearly marked corn dog thread. And you thought everyone would be fascinated by your opinion of corn dogs. Die, shithead.

Ophelia

Jul 31, 2012, 3:30:38 PM7/31/12

<djs...@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 31, 1:15 pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
>> How do you eat your corn dog?
>

> I don't. I've never liked corn dogs.

I don't even know what a corn dog is:(

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Message has been deleted

Chemo

Jul 31, 2012, 3:35:31 PM7/31/12
On Jul 31, 12:30 pm, "Ophelia" <Ophe...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote:
> <djs0...@aol.com> wrote in message
A hot dog dipped in corn batter and then deep fried. Common a state
fairs.

Gary

Jul 31, 2012, 4:28:21 PM7/31/12
"Christopher M." wrote:

> How do you eat your corn dog? Plain? With a little mustard?

Every couple of years or so I'll buy premade (frozen) corndogs. I usually
eat them plain but sometimes dip in some mustard.

G.

Gary

Jul 31, 2012, 4:37:03 PM7/31/12
Dave Smith wrote:

> I have never eaten a corn dog and I would be quite happy if I manage to
> go the rest of my life without eating one.

So you are inferring that they are bad, yet you've never tried one? ;)

G.

Gary

Jul 31, 2012, 4:41:43 PM7/31/12
Ophelia wrote:

> <djs...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > On Jul 31, 1:15 pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
> >> How do you eat your corn dog?
> >

> > I don't. I've never liked corn dogs.
>
> I don't even know what a corn dog is :(

Time to try one then. Look for them premade in your frozen section. If you
like hotdogs, you'll probably like them....or someone in your family will.

G.

notbob

Jul 31, 2012, 4:42:52 PM7/31/12
On 2012-07-31, Ophelia <Oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote:

> I don't even know what a corn dog is:(

That's jes plain sad. :(

nb

--
"I didn't know I worked here.
I must've forgot my apron"

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 31, 2012, 6:29:32 PM7/31/12
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> I think it would be easy to make a savory "adult" corn dog.

Stop it. You'll get Sheldon all worked up.

Dave Smith

Jul 31, 2012, 6:32:06 PM7/31/12
No, I am inferring that I would not be interested in a weiner deep fried
with a coating.

Chemo

Jul 31, 2012, 6:48:40 PM7/31/12
Well. if you've never had one then you can't really form an opinion
can you?

tert in seattle

Jul 31, 2012, 7:00:57 PM7/31/12
in theory it's not as bad as it sounds, but in practice most corn dogs
are pretty bad

pamjd

Jul 31, 2012, 6:56:16 PM7/31/12
Every once in a while I get a corn dog craving!!! I love corndogs
with mustard. They even have a corndog maker that is not deep fried.
Never tried it but might be wortha look see.

notbob

Jul 31, 2012, 7:58:41 PM7/31/12
On 2012-07-31, tert in seattle <te...@ftupet.com> wrote:

> in theory it's not as bad as it sounds, but in practice most corn dogs
> are pretty bad

They hafta be made with real corn meal batter, like the kind you make
cornbread with. They also hafta be deep fried in the traditional
manner, in hot oil. None of those lame George Forman grill gizmos,
either. One year, fair/carnival venders tried to go cheap and use
corn starch, like a beer batter. It was a dismal failure and nobody
would buy them. Also, any pre-made frozen corn dogs, like Foster
Farms, are jes horrible. Avoid 'em like the plague. I even found one
vendor at the county fair trying to push frozen corn dogs fer $3.50
ea. I was about ready to burn his trailer down!

meda...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2012, 8:01:11 PM7/31/12
to adavid...@sympatico.ca
Then fuck off and stop posting about something you're not interested in. It's really not that hard, cumbreath, Stop thinking you're so interesting that we care about your opinion.

gregz

Jul 31, 2012, 8:28:30 PM7/31/12
I was the same way. I think I finally ate one and enjoyed it. Been a few
years though.

Greg

gregz

Jul 31, 2012, 8:31:06 PM7/31/12
"Christopher M." <nospam_...@floo.com> wrote:
> How do you eat your corn dog? Plain? With a little mustard?

Ketchup.

No just kidding.

Greg

dsi1

Jul 31, 2012, 8:56:07 PM7/31/12
Corn dogs are a brilliant invention. Unfortunately, the problem is with
the hot dogs these days. Most manufacturers will use the corn bread
coating to hide the cheapest dogs they can lay their greasy paws on. I'd
eat a corn dog on the spot right now but it's unlikely to be anything
other than a chicken filled dog which I find unpleasant and just ruins
everything. RIP corn dog.

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 31, 2012, 8:57:46 PM7/31/12
If you're not going to fry it, don't even bother. Baked, they are truly
awful IMO.

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 31, 2012, 9:01:22 PM7/31/12
Maybe he just read the ingredient list and nutritional label.

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 31, 2012, 9:02:53 PM7/31/12
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
> On 2012-07-31, Ophelia <Oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I don't even know what a corn dog is:(
>
> That's jes plain sad. :(

Maybe the Brits have banned them from import as a national security risk.
;-)

notbob

Jul 31, 2012, 9:12:14 PM7/31/12
On 2012-08-01, dsi1 <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> other than a chicken filled dog which I find unpleasant and just ruins
> everything. RIP corn dog.

Sad, but true.

I've been searching for a good beef dog, but they're pretty scarce,
here. NatHebrew is mostly fat. Nathan's are not much better. Not
even gonna talk about OM or BP. So far, the best I've found are
Harris Ranch beef dogs, but no likely to find 'em in a corn dog at the
county fair.

Cheri

Jul 31, 2012, 9:28:33 PM7/31/12
"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

> Corn dogs are a brilliant invention. Unfortunately, the problem is with
> the hot dogs these days. Most manufacturers will use the corn bread
> coating to hide the cheapest dogs they can lay their greasy paws on. I'd
> eat a corn dog on the spot right now but it's unlikely to be anything
> other than a chicken filled dog which I find unpleasant and just ruins
> everything. RIP corn dog.

You know, I think you're right. It's been a long time since I had a corn dog
but I remember that the last one I had was particularly bad, not at all like
they used to be many years ago.

Cheri

dsi1

Jul 31, 2012, 9:31:39 PM7/31/12
On 7/31/2012 3:12 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-08-01, dsi1 <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> other than a chicken filled dog which I find unpleasant and just ruins
>> everything. RIP corn dog.
>
> Sad, but true.
>
> I've been searching for a good beef dog, but they're pretty scarce,
> here. NatHebrew is mostly fat. Nathan's are not much better. Not
> even gonna talk about OM or BP. So far, the best I've found are
> Harris Ranch beef dogs, but no likely to find 'em in a corn dog at the
> county fair.
>
> nb

Chicken hot dogs are some funky stuff - they're great if you accept
chicken bone meal to be a regular part of a balanced diet. The
manufacturers should just give up all hope, say "fuck it", and throw in
the beaks and feet too. What the hell, just grind up the entire bird. :-)

dsi1

Jul 31, 2012, 9:32:48 PM7/31/12
Just thinking about a modern corn dog makes my flesh crawl. :-)

Polly Esther

Jul 31, 2012, 9:40:42 PM7/31/12
If you're one little bit interested in enjoying a great corn dog, check out
Alton Brown's recipe and instructions. Ahhh. Yes. Polly

Christopher M.

Jul 31, 2012, 9:42:06 PM7/31/12

"notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message
> On 2012-07-31, tert in seattle <te...@ftupet.com> wrote:
>
>> in theory it's not as bad as it sounds, but in practice most corn dogs
>> are pretty bad
>
> They hafta be made with real corn meal batter, like the kind you make
> cornbread with. They also hafta be deep fried in the traditional
> manner, in hot oil. None of those lame George Forman grill gizmos,
> either. One year, fair/carnival venders tried to go cheap and use
> corn starch, like a beer batter. It was a dismal failure and nobody
> would buy them. Also, any pre-made frozen corn dogs, like Foster
> Farms, are jes horrible. Avoid 'em like the plague. I even found one
> vendor at the county fair trying to push frozen corn dogs fer $3.50
> ea. I was about ready to burn his trailer down!
>
> nb

$3.50 for a frozen dog sounds like an invitation to an ass-kicking to me.

Christopher M.

Jul 31, 2012, 9:48:09 PM7/31/12

> On 2012-08-01, dsi1 <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> other than a chicken filled dog which I find unpleasant and just ruins
>> everything. RIP corn dog.
>
> Sad, but true.
>
> I've been searching for a good beef dog, but they're pretty scarce,
> here. NatHebrew is mostly fat. Nathan's are not much better. Not
> even gonna talk about OM or BP. So far, the best I've found are
> Harris Ranch beef dogs, but no likely to find 'em in a corn dog at the
> county fair.
>
> nb

How about some smoked-sausage, non-Bob?

dsi1

Jul 31, 2012, 10:04:49 PM7/31/12
On 7/31/2012 3:40 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> If you're one little bit interested in enjoying a great corn dog, check
> out Alton Brown's recipe and instructions. Ahhh. Yes. Polly

I've never had a homemade corn dog - has anybody? I'll bet it tastes
great. Sounds like a good idea for party food. Thanks!
Message has been deleted

Farm1

Jul 31, 2012, 10:25:12 PM7/31/12
"Christopher M." <nospam_...@floo.com> wrote in message
> How do you eat your corn dog? Plain? With a little mustard?

What is corn dog?

It doesn't sound particularly appealing.

Farm1

Jul 31, 2012, 10:28:19 PM7/31/12
<djs...@aol.com> wrote in message
On Jul 31, 1:15 pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
> How do you eat your corn dog?

I don't. I've never liked corn dogs.
________________________________
I have no idea what they are but reading what people put on them, it sounds
like they need to be slathered in something that disguises the taste -
mustard, dill pickles etc.

I suspect I really shouldn't have asked what they are.

Farm1

Jul 31, 2012, 10:30:08 PM7/31/12
"Ophelia" <Oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message
> <djs...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> On Jul 31, 1:15 pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
>>> How do you eat your corn dog?
>>

>> I don't. I've never liked corn dogs.
>
> I don't even know what a corn dog is:(

Me neither. But I suspect that it's not something that fits in with a group
that is supposed to be abou 'cooking' I suspect it might be the sort of
things that fits a ina groups called 'reheating'.

Farm1

Jul 31, 2012, 10:31:52 PM7/31/12
"Chemo" <bhans...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Jul 31, 12:30 pm, "Ophelia" <Ophe...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote:
> <djs0...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > On Jul 31, 1:15 pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
> >> How do you eat your corn dog?
>
> > I don't. I've never liked corn dogs.
>
> I don't even know what a corn dog is:(
>
> --
> --
>
> http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

A hot dog dipped in corn batter and then deep fried. Common a state
fairs.
______________________________
Ahhh! All is revealed. An aid for those who seek a heart attack.

Farm1

Jul 31, 2012, 10:32:51 PM7/31/12
"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:501841EF...@att.net...
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I have never eaten a corn dog and I would be quite happy if I manage to
>> go the rest of my life without eating one.
>
> So you are inferring that they are bad, yet you've never tried one? ;)

You wouldn't be implying that they are good for one would you?

Farm1

Jul 31, 2012, 10:34:12 PM7/31/12
"tert in seattle" <te...@ftupet.com> wrote in message
In theory, I'd say they sound quite bad.

notbob

Jul 31, 2012, 11:09:38 PM7/31/12
You use the nick Farm1, yet don't know what a corn dog is? What kinda
farm are you referring to? Farmville?
Message has been deleted

Christopher M.

Jul 31, 2012, 11:44:00 PM7/31/12

"Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:XnsA0A1E37...@216.196.97.131...
> dsi1,
>
> I've never tried a corn dog but for party food a cocktail corn dog on a
> toothpick sounds like great finger food, lightly coated and deep fried.
>
> I don't need no steenkin carnival. I need luau, now!
>
> \ooo/
> Andy

I was thinking of making some ebelskiver "corn dog" appetizers.

But ebelskivers are kind of big to be appetizers.

sf

Jul 31, 2012, 11:53:58 PM7/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 13:15:09 -0400, "Christopher M."
<nospam_...@floo.com> wrote:

> How do you eat your corn dog? Plain? With a little mustard?
>
> Dijonaisse is nice.
>
> Maybe some tartar sauce?
>
> I thought cranberry mustard might be a nice complement to the corn batter.
> But maybe not so much.
>
> Andalouse sauce is very tasty (an onion, red and green pepper, lemon and
> tomato paste infused mayo).

Are you saying you eat corn dogs at home? Wow.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2012, 3:21:27 AM8/1/12
On 7/31/2012 4:23 PM, Andy wrote:
> dsi1,
>
> I've never tried a corn dog but for party food a cocktail corn dog on a
> toothpick sounds like great finger food, lightly coated and deep fried.

I agree, any food that can be miniaturized is better than the full scale
food. I guess we like to feel like giants. My favorite would be baby
corn. OTOH, Cornish game hens i.e., baby chickens suck.

Ophelia

Aug 1, 2012, 5:38:26 AM8/1/12

"Chemo" <bhans...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 31, 12:30 pm, "Ophelia" <Ophe...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote:
>> <djs0...@aol.com> wrote in message

>> > I don't. I've never liked corn dogs.
>>
>> I don't even know what a corn dog is:(
>
> A hot dog dipped in corn batter and then deep fried. Common a state
> fairs.

Thanks:)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Aug 1, 2012, 5:39:22 AM8/1/12

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:50184307...@att.net...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> <djs...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > I don't. I've never liked corn dogs.
>>
>> I don't even know what a corn dog is :(
>
> Time to try one then. Look for them premade in your frozen section. If you
> like hotdogs, you'll probably like them....or someone in your family will.

We are not keen on hot dogs so I think a corn dog will be wasted on us:)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Aug 1, 2012, 5:40:22 AM8/1/12

"Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
lol after hearing what they are it sounds like a good plan:))

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Farm1

Aug 1, 2012, 6:43:59 AM8/1/12
> On 2012-08-01, Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
>> "Christopher M." <nospam_...@floo.com> wrote in message
>>> How do you eat your corn dog? Plain? With a little mustard?
>>
>> What is corn dog?
>>
>> It doesn't sound particularly appealing.
>
> You use the nick Farm1, yet don't know what a corn dog is? What kinda
> farm are you referring to? Farmville?

We produce beef cattle. In my country we don't have corn dogs.

I think the nearest thing to a corn dog would be a hot dog with batter on it
with a stick up the middle that is sold at Shows (these Shows would be the
thing that USians would call a County Fair).

These hot dog things would be ordered by asking for a Dagwood dog. I'd
rather eat my elastic sided riding boots than eat a Dagwood dog.

Farm1

Aug 1, 2012, 6:50:27 AM8/1/12
"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

. My favorite would be baby
> corn. OTOH, Cornish game hens i.e., baby chickens suck.

????? IIRC, what USians call 'Cornish Game' go by the name of Indian Game
in their native Cornwall and, unless killed at a very immature age, couldn't
really be called a baby.

Wonderful chunky birds that isn't a big bird int he way that say RIR are,
and they make a great cross with one of the meat breeds.

Jim Elbrecht

Aug 1, 2012, 7:19:27 AM8/1/12
At the risk of being told "We liked the old recipe better"- I might
try that one. [our 'regular' is pretty much a basic cornbread dough
with an egg in it]

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corn-dogs-recipe/index.html

Curious why he uses 2 chopsticks per dog? I've never had any rolling
problems and it seems like they are just more likely to split that
way.

One thing I'd stick to is cutting the dogs in half so we get 16 dogs
per pound. I've never been real fond of hot dogs-- it is the fried
dough and sauces I really enjoy.

Jim

Jim Elbrecht

Aug 1, 2012, 7:24:15 AM8/1/12
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:50:27 +1000, "Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes>
wrote:

>"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
>
>. My favorite would be baby
>> corn. OTOH, Cornish game hens i.e., baby chickens suck.
>
>????? IIRC, what USians call 'Cornish Game' go by the name of Indian Game
>in their native Cornwall and, unless killed at a very immature age, couldn't
>really be called a baby.

I don't even want to guess at what those little birds are in our
supermarkets. [which, BTW, are several thousand miles from dsi1's] 40
years ago they were tender succulent little gobs of juiciness. I've
tried them 3 times in the last 30 years and have thrown out more than
we ate. Tough, dry, tasteless. [and damned expensive, to boot]

Sad.

Jim

Jim Elbrecht

Aug 1, 2012, 7:28:16 AM8/1/12
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:43:59 +1000, "Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes>
wrote:

>"notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message
>> On 2012-08-01, Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
>>> "Christopher M." <nospam_...@floo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> What is corn dog?
>>>
>>> It doesn't sound particularly appealing.
>>
>> You use the nick Farm1, yet don't know what a corn dog is? What kinda
>> farm are you referring to? Farmville?
>
>We produce beef cattle. In my country we don't have corn dogs.
>
>I think the nearest thing to a corn dog would be a hot dog with batter on it
>with a stick up the middle that is sold at Shows (these Shows would be the
>thing that USians would call a County Fair).

That's a corn dog.

>These hot dog things would be ordered by asking for a Dagwood dog. I'd
>rather eat my elastic sided riding boots than eat a Dagwood dog.

In the USA a 'Dagwood' is a sandwich piled so high with toppings that
it is impossible to get your mouth around it. Named for a cartoon
character in the fifties from the strip Dagwood and Blondie. I
don't remember him eating dogs on a stick- Do you know the OZ origin?

Jim

Farm1

Aug 1, 2012, 7:49:40 AM8/1/12
"Jim Elbrecht" <elbr...@email.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:43:59 +1000, "Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes>
> wrote:
>
>>"notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message

>>> You use the nick Farm1, yet don't know what a corn dog is? What kinda
>>> farm are you referring to? Farmville?
>>
>>We produce beef cattle. In my country we don't have corn dogs.
>>
>>I think the nearest thing to a corn dog would be a hot dog with batter on
>>it
>>with a stick up the middle that is sold at Shows (these Shows would be the
>>thing that USians would call a County Fair).
>
> That's a corn dog.

I thought it might be after someone posted a description but they didn't
metnion the stick so I wasn't sure.

>>These hot dog things would be ordered by asking for a Dagwood dog. I'd
>>rather eat my elastic sided riding boots than eat a Dagwood dog.
>>

> In the USA a 'Dagwood' is a sandwich piled so high with toppings that
> it is impossible to get your mouth around it.

I seem to recall exactly the same thing having that name here but it's been
decades since I've heard that term applied that way and i've just checked an
Austarlian dictionary and it's not mentioned at all (whereas a 'Dagwood dog'
is mentioned as is its alternative name whihc is 'Battered sav'). I'm
fairly sure we used to call huge sangers Dagwoods when I was young.

Named for a cartoon
> character in the fifties from the strip Dagwood and Blondie. I
> don't remember him eating dogs on a stick- Do you know the OZ origin?

I suspect that I might Jim. :-)) It was probably a comic that featured
characters called Dagwood Bumstead and his wife Blondie :-)) I don't really
know though.

We got a huge amount of comics you'd know eg Pogo, Archie and Veronica etc

notbob

Aug 1, 2012, 7:53:04 AM8/1/12
On 2012-08-01, Ophelia <Oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote:

> "Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:50184307...@att.net...

>> Time to try one then. Look for them premade in your frozen section. If you

> We are not keen on hot dogs so I think a corn dog will be wasted on us:)

Do NOT ever buy a premade frozen corn dog. It is the very worst example.

Farm1

Aug 1, 2012, 7:59:38 AM8/1/12
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:50:27 +1000, "Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes>
> wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>. My favorite would be baby
>>> corn. OTOH, Cornish game hens i.e., baby chickens suck.
>>
>>????? IIRC, what USians call 'Cornish Game' go by the name of Indian Game
>>in their native Cornwall and, unless killed at a very immature age,
>>couldn't
>>really be called a baby.
>
> I don't even want to guess at what those little birds are in our
> supermarkets. [which, BTW, are several thousand miles from dsi1's]

I know there is some form of hybrid meat bird around which is slaughtered at
around 35 days old. I know they have problems even moving around and are
known to break bones easily. Looking at them, I suspect they might be some
Indian Game/Cornish Game somehere in their background because they have that
look of a sumo wrestler build to them that looks like it comes form the Game
breed.

40
> years ago they were tender succulent little gobs of juiciness. I've
> tried them 3 times in the last 30 years and have thrown out more than
> we ate. Tough, dry, tasteless. [and damned expensive, to boot]
>
> Sad.

Yep. Nothing like eating a backyard chook for flavour.

notbob

Aug 1, 2012, 8:00:21 AM8/1/12
So many differences.

First, I didn't realize you were from Oz. Second, we call a cattle
farm a "ranch". Third, you are at least familiar with the food,
though choose to play ingnorant. Whatever. Last, we don't have
elastic in our riding boots, or any other kinda boot. I think I
know of what you speak, but it's pretty much a British thing. ;)

Farm1

Aug 1, 2012, 8:53:37 AM8/1/12
> On 2012-08-01, Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
>
>> We produce beef cattle. In my country we don't have corn dogs.
>>
>> I think the nearest thing to a corn dog would be a hot dog with batter on
>> it >> with a stick up the middle that is sold at Shows (these Shows would
>> be the
>> thing that USians would call a County Fair).
>>
>> These hot dog things would be ordered by asking for a Dagwood dog. I'd
>> rather eat my elastic sided riding boots than eat a Dagwood dog.
>
> So many differences.
>
> First, I didn't realize you were from Oz. Second, we call a cattle
> farm a "ranch". Third, you are at least familiar with the food,
> though choose to play ingnorant. Whatever. Last, we don't have
> elastic in our riding boots, or any other kinda boot. I think I
> know of what you speak, but it's pretty much a British thing. ;)

LOL. Great post! You sure do a good job in portraying a real local yockel
from Lower Hicksville.

I can almost see the hay stalks in your hair, the spittoon in the corner,
the corn cob in the corner of your mouth, the lazy hand scratching at your
nether regions whilst declaring that you've never taken a step beyond your
own lower 40 and never would have any truck with any furriners.

notbob

Aug 1, 2012, 9:12:33 AM8/1/12
I wuz fortunate. I grew up halfway between a ranch and "the big
city", though I tend to fall back on rural more and more as I get
older. OTOH, spent waaay too large a chunk of my life commuting
to/from Silicon Valley (SFBA) to work in the hi-tech industry of the
80s-90s, so am far from being a rube. Currently living in the
Colorado Rockies, in an extremely rural valley which is almost
exclusively cattle ranches and I will be atttending our truly
microscopic county fair this weekend. My favorite thing about county
fairs is the livestock pens, fulla that most genuine of all natural
perfumes, cow/pig/sheep doody! Pure nirvana.

But, yer right about furriners. Got nothing against 'em, but know
spit about 'em, 'cept'n what I see on the picture tube. Yuk! ;)

Farm1

Aug 1, 2012, 9:21:58 AM8/1/12
> On 2012-08-01, Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
>
>> I can almost see the hay stalks in your hair, the spittoon in the corner,
>> the corn cob in the corner of your mouth, the lazy hand scratching at
>> your >> nether regions whilst declaring that you've never taken a step
>> beyond your
>> own lower 40 and never would have any truck with any furriners.
>
> I wuz fortunate. I grew up halfway between a ranch and "the big
> city", though I tend to fall back on rural more and more as I get
> older. OTOH, spent waaay too large a chunk of my life commuting
> to/from Silicon Valley (SFBA) to work in the hi-tech industry of the
> 80s-90s, so am far from being a rube. Currently living in the
> Colorado Rockies, in an extremely rural valley which is almost
> exclusively cattle ranches and I will be atttending our truly
> microscopic county fair this weekend. My favorite thing about county
> fairs is the livestock pens, fulla that most genuine of all natural
> perfumes, cow/pig/sheep doody! Pure nirvana.

Almost a case of Snap! Just different country and different career.

> But, yer right about furriners. Got nothing against 'em, but know
> spit about 'em, 'cept'n what I see on the picture tube. Yuk! ;)

Yup. Weirdos are furriners. They have funny furrin habits and even funnier
furrin food. Damned furrin thangs don't even know about Dagwood Dogs.

(Lucky them).

Jim Elbrecht

Aug 1, 2012, 9:54:12 AM8/1/12
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>On 2012-08-01, Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
>
>> We produce beef cattle. In my country we don't have corn dogs.
>>
>> I think the nearest thing to a corn dog would be a hot dog with batter on it
>> with a stick up the middle that is sold at Shows (these Shows would be the
>> thing that USians would call a County Fair).
>>
>> These hot dog things would be ordered by asking for a Dagwood dog. I'd
>> rather eat my elastic sided riding boots than eat a Dagwood dog.
>
>So many differences.
>
>First, I didn't realize you were from Oz. Second, we call a cattle
>farm a "ranch".

What's this 'we' shit?<g> Those of us on the right side of the
country call them beef farms.

Jim

notbob

Aug 1, 2012, 9:59:36 AM8/1/12
On 2012-08-01, Jim Elbrecht <elbr...@email.com> wrote:

> What's this 'we' shit?<g> Those of us on the right side of the
> country call them beef farms.

Yeah, well nobody ever accused a right coaster of being too bright. I
mean, you ppl voluntarily live in a humid climate, ferchrynoutloud! ;)

nb

--
"Do you recognize me? No!
...cuz I don't work here"

sf

Aug 1, 2012, 10:34:03 AM8/1/12
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:44:00 -0400, "Christopher M."
<nospam_...@floo.com> wrote:

> I was thinking of making some ebelskiver "corn dog" appetizers.
>
> But ebelskivers are kind of big to be appetizers.

So they're two bites instead of one, you might as well try it. Have
you ever heard of "pizza bites"? It make the food bloggisphere rounds
a while back. I haven't ever made it or eaten, so this is only an
example of what it looks like.
http://annies-eats.com/2010/02/01/pizza-bites/

sf

Aug 1, 2012, 10:41:02 AM8/1/12
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:21:27 -1000, dsi1
<ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> OTOH, Cornish game hens i.e., baby chickens suck.

I like them on occasion... once every year or two. One serves two
people at my house. Spatchcock them; they're much easier to cook and
eat that way and try glazing them at the end. Pineapple-Apricot jam
melted with a little liqueur works for me... if you have it on hand, I
bet a little 5 Spice would go well with that mixture too (5 spice in
or on the glaze just occurred to me - so no, I haven't tried it).

Kalmia

Aug 1, 2012, 11:35:09 AM8/1/12
Just to skew the results, if you're keeping track - I've never even been TEMPTED to eat a corn dog. I worked with a woman whose sole lunch choice was a corn dog, and she looked it. Plump would be a kind description.

Brooklyn1

Aug 1, 2012, 11:41:53 AM8/1/12
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 12:25:12 +1000, "Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes>
wrote:

>"Christopher M." <nospam_...@floo.com> wrote in message
>> How do you eat your corn dog? Plain? With a little mustard?
>
>What is corn dog?
>
>It doesn't sound particularly appealing.

Corn dogs are trailer trash vittles.
Pigs in blankets taste better and are higher class.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/American_pigs_in_blankets.jpg

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 1, 2012, 11:44:34 AM8/1/12
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:04:49 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I've never had a homemade corn dog - has anybody?
>
> Of course I have.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/7688712528/in/photostream/lightbox/
>
> A couple of the fatter ones are Italian sausages. I'll probably do
> some beef dogs wrapped in bacon with a jalapeno and cheese cornbread
> batter RSN. I have everything I need.
>
> -sw

So if you use Italian sausage, does that make it a Polenta Dog?

Just askin'...

MartyB

Brooklyn1

Aug 1, 2012, 11:48:42 AM8/1/12
On 1 Aug 2012 12:00:21 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>On 2012-08-01, Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
>
>> We produce beef cattle. In my country we don't have corn dogs.
>>
>> I think the nearest thing to a corn dog would be a hot dog with batter on it
>> with a stick up the middle that is sold at Shows (these Shows would be the
>> thing that USians would call a County Fair).
>>
>> These hot dog things would be ordered by asking for a Dagwood dog. I'd
>> rather eat my elastic sided riding boots than eat a Dagwood dog.
>
>So many differences.
>
>First, I didn't realize you were from Oz. Second, we call a cattle
>farm a "ranch". Third, you are at least familiar with the food,
>though choose to play ingnorant. Whatever. Last, we don't have
>elastic in our riding boots, or any other kinda boot. I think I
>know of what you speak, but it's pretty much a British thing. ;)
>
>nb

To a Brit a boot is a car trunk, and an elastic is a rubberband...
kinda dumb to keep condoms in the car trunk when you need them fast,
makes sense for Aussies to keep condoms in their boots, since they
leave em on during the act.. where do you think "Die with your boots
on" comes from...

Brooklyn1

Aug 1, 2012, 11:51:34 AM8/1/12
Whadaya mean you wouldn't have truck with furriners... lotsa Toyota
pickups in CO. heh

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 1, 2012, 11:53:05 AM8/1/12
Jim Elbrecht <elbr...@email.com> wrote:

>> First, I didn't realize you were from Oz. Second, we call a cattle
>> farm a "ranch".
>
> What's this 'we' shit?<g> Those of us on the right side of the
> country call them beef farms.

Which country is that?

George M. Middius

Aug 1, 2012, 12:00:19 PM8/1/12
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> >First, I didn't realize you were from Oz. Second, we call a cattle
> >farm a "ranch".
>
> What's this 'we' shit?<g> Those of us on the right side of the
> country call them beef farms.

Seriously? "Beef farms"? Furreal?

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 1, 2012, 12:02:44 PM8/1/12
They are not inherently dry and tasteless though. Certainly they are raised
to be leaner these days like pretty much all livestock. They just have to be
cooked properly, which means they need more attention paid to method and
internal temp than a bigger chicken. Roast breast down, like a turkey, and
do not overcook. Due to their small size, there's a short window of time
between done and overcooked. Brining, as with most poultry, will greatly
improve moisture and taste, especially in the white meat. Layering on some
bacon while roasting never hurts.

MartyB

Brooklyn1

Aug 1, 2012, 12:02:57 PM8/1/12
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 23:21:58 +1000, "Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes>
wrote:
Only the gays eat Dagwood Dogs. Straights eat this:
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m469/buscoy54/Blondie%20Bumstead/blondie_pic11.jpg

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 1, 2012, 12:09:08 PM8/1/12
Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
>
> . My favorite would be baby
>> corn. OTOH, Cornish game hens i.e., baby chickens suck.
>
> ????? IIRC, what USians call 'Cornish Game' go by the name of Indian
> Game in their native Cornwall and, unless killed at a very immature
> age, couldn't really be called a baby.

The small chickens sold in the United States as "Rock Cornish Hens" are
indeed young immature chickens. They are manipulated crossbreeds distantly
related to game cocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_game_hen

notbob

Aug 1, 2012, 12:27:47 PM8/1/12
On 2012-08-01, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Whadaya mean you wouldn't have truck with furriners... lotsa Toyota
> pickups in CO. heh

True dat, but Ford is king.

--
"Do you recognize me? No!
...cuz I don't work here"

notbob

Aug 1, 2012, 12:30:17 PM8/1/12
On 2012-08-01, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Only the gays eat Dagwood Dogs. Straights eat this:
> http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m469/buscoy54/Blondie%20Bumstead/blondie_pic11.jpg

Holy crap! You finally found a hot babe to post. Sure, she's only a
cartoon, but still better lookin' than most of the skanks you find.

nb

--
"Do you recognize me? No!
...cuz I don't work here"

dsi1

Aug 1, 2012, 12:47:36 PM8/1/12
On 8/1/2012 12:50 AM, Farm1 wrote:
> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
>
> . My favorite would be baby
>> corn. OTOH, Cornish game hens i.e., baby chickens suck.
>
> ????? IIRC, what USians call 'Cornish Game' go by the name of Indian Game
> in their native Cornwall and, unless killed at a very immature age, couldn't
> really be called a baby.

You are correct about this. OTOH, "baby" has a nicer ring than "immature."

> Wonderful chunky birds that isn't a big bird int he way that say RIR are,
> and they make a great cross with one of the meat breeds.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2012, 1:01:23 PM8/1/12
They were all the rage when I was in high school. I tried those things
back then. Maybe it was too soon.

sf

Aug 1, 2012, 1:24:13 PM8/1/12
I only buy them if they're on a super sale.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jim Elbrecht

Aug 1, 2012, 8:04:05 PM8/1/12
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 18:33:52 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 07:24:15 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> I don't even want to guess at what those little birds are in our
>> supermarkets. [which, BTW, are several thousand miles from dsi1's] 40
>> years ago they were tender succulent little gobs of juiciness. I've
>> tried them 3 times in the last 30 years and have thrown out more than
>> we ate. Tough, dry, tasteless. [and damned expensive, to boot]
>
>2-packs of 22oz birds for $6. As a dinner for 2, they're nice to
>brine and stuff with a wild rice mixture or spatchcock and grill and
>make for nice presentation (and OK taste if you brine them for
>flavor).

I was thinking that was a lot of work for nothing outstanding.

>But they are nothing other than sickly farmed birds that were
>slaughtered young to leave room at the factory for ones that had a
>better chance of surviving to fryer size or better.

But now that you paint such a nice picture, I begin to wonder if I
should re-think that broiled steak.<g>

Jim
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

jmcquown

Aug 1, 2012, 8:44:52 PM8/1/12

"Farm1" wrote in message news:jva4bn$km4$1...@dont-email.me...

"Ophelia" <Oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message
> <djs...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> On Jul 31, 1:15 pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
>>> How do you eat your corn dog?
>>

>> I don't. I've never liked corn dogs.
>
> I don't even know what a corn dog is:(

Me neither. But I suspect that it's not something that fits in with a group
that is supposed to be abou 'cooking' I suspect it might be the sort of
things that fits a ina groups called 'reheating'.
***************

You'd be incorrect, IMHO. If you like this sort of 'Fair Food' (and lots of
people do), roughly 30 years ago, at a fair or a carnival, you could get
corn dogs made right in front of you. There was no "reheating" of frozen
corn dogs at those events back in the day.

Jill

George M. Middius

Aug 1, 2012, 9:16:10 PM8/1/12
sqwishy tries to defend his trailer-trash creds.

> There is nothing wrong with a proper corn dog.

Except the yuck factor, of course.

Dave Smith

Aug 1, 2012, 10:20:03 PM8/1/12
That's not skewing the results. I agree with you. I haven't bought
wieners in years. I wouldn't cook myself hot dogs for a meal because I
consider them to be basically a crap meat product. Dipping them in
batter and deep frying them just makes them even more unappealing. It
sure doesn't surprise me that someone who loves corn dogs would have a
weight problem.

Farm1

Aug 2, 2012, 6:35:46 AM8/2/12
> notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2012-08-01, Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
>>
>>> We produce beef cattle. In my country we don't have corn dogs.
>>>
>>> I think the nearest thing to a corn dog would be a hot dog with batter
>>> on it
>>> with a stick up the middle that is sold at Shows (these Shows would be
>>> the
>>> thing that USians would call a County Fair).
>>>
>>> These hot dog things would be ordered by asking for a Dagwood dog. I'd
>>> rather eat my elastic sided riding boots than eat a Dagwood dog.
>>
>>So many differences.
>>
>>First, I didn't realize you were from Oz. Second, we call a cattle
>>farm a "ranch".
>
> What's this 'we' shit?<g> Those of us on the right side of the
> country call them beef farms.

:-)) Here the very big farm's are called stations. Some of these would be
bigger than small countries or small US States.

I remember once reading about Patrick Swayze's horse ranch. The article
went on and on about the place and right near the end the article said his
ranch was 5 acres. I nearly died laughing at the thought that this 'ranch'
was really just what I'd call a big lawn.

Farm1

Aug 2, 2012, 6:49:24 AM8/2/12
"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 12:25:12 +1000, "Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes>
> wrote:
>
>>"Christopher M." <nospam_...@floo.com> wrote in message
>>> How do you eat your corn dog? Plain? With a little mustard?
>>
>>What is corn dog?
>>
>>It doesn't sound particularly appealing.
>
> Corn dogs are trailer trash vittles.

I know I shouldn't, but that made me laugh.

> Pigs in blankets taste better and are higher class.
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/American_pigs_in_blankets.jpg

I don't think they look tempting either.

Farm1

Aug 2, 2012, 6:59:00 AM8/2/12
"Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Sheesh! The article is titled "Cornish Game" and yet the article says they
are really talking about a hybrid - its a Cornish Game crossed with a
Plymouth or a white Rock. Sloppy.

I've always wanted to have some Indian Games birds (Cornish Game in US) .
They are supposed to make the best meat birds when crossed but the cross
must be very specific apparently.

Ssomewhere in my notes it tells me which of the parent's breed MUST be the
father in order to get the best bird. Apparently it is not negotiable - you
can't mix the breeds the other way because the outcome is not as good. That
doesnt' make a great deal of sense to me from a genetic perspective but I've
read that in a number of separate sources.

Farm1

Aug 2, 2012, 7:06:12 AM8/2/12
"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
I'd not like to own their arteries either.

Jim Elbrecht

Aug 2, 2012, 9:34:55 AM8/2/12
"Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:

>"Jim Elbrecht" <elbr...@email.com> wrote in message

-snip-
>> What's this 'we' shit?<g> Those of us on the right side of the
>> country call them beef farms.
>
>:-)) Here the very big farm's are called stations. Some of these would be
>bigger than small countries or small US States.

The King ranch in TX is almost a million acres- not quite [by that I
mean <1/6] Anna Creek station-- but bigger than Rhode Island.

In NY 10,000 acres would rank you right up near the top-- but it would
likely be vegetables, not cattle. Most of our beef farms are under
1000 acres-- 3-400acres and is more likely.

>I remember once reading about Patrick Swayze's horse ranch. The article
>went on and on about the place and right near the end the article said his
>ranch was 5 acres. I nearly died laughing at the thought that this 'ranch'
>was really just what I'd call a big lawn.

Swayze had several ranches in different states. [California, Texas,
New Mexico, I think] He called his place in California where he
lived "Rancho Bizarro" - sort of a tongue in cheek name. I don't
remember why they called it a ranch, but I do remember him telling an
interviewer about their 'cattle' at Rancho Bizarro. Dogs, cats,
birds, guinea pigs[?], rabbits. . . . several of all of them. He
was laughing as he rattled them off.

Jim

Jim Elbrecht

Aug 2, 2012, 9:48:00 AM8/2/12
That would be the US of A. I don't know if there is a strict line
where ranches become farms-- but I know of big beef farms in Ohio and
Kentucky. In NY, I've only known city folks who call their country
property a 'ranch'.

Jim

Dave Smith

Aug 2, 2012, 11:36:23 AM8/2/12
On 02/08/2012 6:35 AM, Farm1 wrote:

> I remember once reading about Patrick Swayze's horse ranch. The article
> went on and on about the place and right near the end the article said his
> ranch was 5 acres. I nearly died laughing at the thought that this 'ranch'
> was really just what I'd call a big lawn.

My father was raised on a ranch..... a rabbit ranch.
It was less than one acre.

A friend of mine used to rent a house in the interior of BC. IIRC there
was 7 acres and they had 11 acres. They had several paddocks and enough
almost free water from the mountains to irrigate the paddocks and to
rotate the horses from one to another every couple days. They could
tack up, hop on their horses and walk a couple hundred yards down the
road to get on the mountain trails that went for miles.

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 2, 2012, 12:41:09 PM8/2/12
I agree. The very fact that they are cooked at some point and people are
talking about when and where that takes place makes it topical for this
group. Given the range of topics found here, it seems quite bizarre for
anyone to criticize a food subject as off topic.

Just sayin'.

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 2, 2012, 12:45:19 PM8/2/12
Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
> "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in
> message news:jvbkbe$avn$1...@dont-email.me...
>> Farm1 <He...@there.sometimes> wrote:
>>> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> . My favorite would be baby
>>>
>>> ????? IIRC, what USians call 'Cornish Game' go by the name of
>>> Indian Game in their native Cornwall and, unless killed at a very
>>> immature age, couldn't really be called a baby.
>>
>> The small chickens sold in the United States as "Rock Cornish Hens"
>> are indeed young immature chickens. They are manipulated crossbreeds
>> distantly related to game cocks.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_game_hen
>
> Sheesh! The article is titled "Cornish Game" and yet the article
> says they are really talking about a hybrid - its a Cornish Game
> crossed with a Plymouth or a white Rock. Sloppy.

How is it sloppy? They are talking about the birds commonly named "Cornish
Game Hens" in markets, and providing a reference background on what those
birds really are.

MartyB

It is loading more messages.