en brochette and the Atchafalaya

modom (palindrome guy)

Aug 22, 2009, 12:27:01 AM8/22/09
If a goat may offer a point on the topic: a brochette is a skewer in
French. A dish cooked on a skewer is cooked "en brochette." While it
is two words in the original and not one, it is not a fabrication made
of whole cloth to name a dish of proteins grilled on skewers "X
enbrochette." Such language mutations are most common in Cajun and
creole constructions. That the restaurant in question calls itself
Atchafalaya even though it's in Houston would locate its cuisine
outside standard French usage but squarely inside rural Acadiana.

While there is certainly not any single recipe for "X en brochette" or
even "X enbrochette," I'd assume the cooks at Atchafalaya in Houston
do follow something like a consistent method and ingredient list when
they prepare their evidently tasty dish.

More about the Atchafalaya can be found here:
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1987/02/23/1987_02_23_039_TNY_CARDS_000347146

I mean the river in Louisiana, not the restaurant in Houston. John
McPhee is a great writer, and the subject is his equal in that piece.
Having seen at an early age the rivers and bayous he mentions in the
essay, I may have more of a sense of connectedness than many to the
story. I've fished in Old River, and most RFCers haven't. But I think
I can say that McPhee's story is wonderful, anyway.
--

modom

sf

Aug 22, 2009, 1:14:52 AM8/22/09
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 23:27:01 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
<use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:

>If a goat may offer a point on the topic: a brochette is a skewer in
>French. A dish cooked on a skewer is cooked "en brochette." While it
>is two words in the original and not one, it is not a fabrication made
>of whole cloth to name a dish of proteins grilled on skewers "X
>enbrochette." Such language mutations are most common in Cajun and
>creole constructions. That the restaurant in question calls itself
>Atchafalaya even though it's in Houston would locate its cuisine
>outside standard French usage but squarely inside rural Acadiana.
>
>While there is certainly not any single recipe for "X en brochette" or
>even "X enbrochette," I'd assume the cooks at Atchafalaya in Houston
>do follow something like a consistent method and ingredient list when
>they prepare their evidently tasty dish.

Thanks, Michael. :) You're the soothing voice of reason.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

ChattyCathy

Aug 22, 2009, 6:21:06 AM8/22/09
modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> If a goat may offer a point on the topic: a brochette is a skewer in
> French. A dish cooked on a skewer is cooked "en brochette." While it
> is two words in the original and not one, it is not a fabrication made
> of whole cloth to name a dish of proteins grilled on skewers "X
> enbrochette." Such language mutations are most common in Cajun and
> creole constructions. That the restaurant in question calls itself
> Atchafalaya even though it's in Houston would locate its cuisine
> outside standard French usage but squarely inside rural Acadiana.
>
> While there is certainly not any single recipe for "X en brochette" or
> even "X enbrochette," I'd assume the cooks at Atchafalaya in Houston
> do follow something like a consistent method and ingredient list when
> they prepare their evidently tasty dish.

Ah. But then I only learned a smattering of French in high school and
I've never been to Houston...

FWIW, in South Africa, we like "sosaties" i.e. cubes of
marinated/curried lamb/mutton (usually interspersed with various
veggies/dried fruit) that are cooked on skewers. They're often cooked
on a charcoal grill.

Although the original idea was to use lamb/mutton - these days just
about anything goes; some people cook cubes of chicken, beef or venison
on skewers and still call them sosaties... I've even seen vegetarian
sosaties e.g. chunks of bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, dried apricots
etc. Might not be 'traditional' but still pretty tasty, IMHO.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

cybercat

Aug 22, 2009, 9:39:18 AM8/22/09

"ChattyCathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote

> FWIW, in South Africa, we like "sosaties" i.e. cubes of
> marinated/curried lamb/mutton (usually interspersed with various
> veggies/dried fruit) that are cooked on skewers. They're often cooked
> on a charcoal grill.
>
> Although the original idea was to use lamb/mutton - these days just
> about anything goes; some people cook cubes of chicken, beef or venison
> on skewers and still call them sosaties... I've even seen vegetarian
> sosaties e.g. chunks of bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, dried apricots
> etc. Might not be 'traditional' but still pretty tasty, IMHO.

Where does the word sosaties come from?

ChattyCathy

Aug 22, 2009, 10:19:39 AM8/22/09
cybercat wrote:

> Where does the word sosaties come from?

It's an Afrikaans word, which like many other languages evolved from
others. I believe this particular word came from 'saus' i.e. the sauce
or marinade part - and 'sate/satay' which refers to meat on skewers in
other languages. Maybe it started out as saussate, who knows? All know
for sure is that they taste good. <g>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

George Shirley

Aug 22, 2009, 10:21:41 AM8/22/09

I'm not most, I've fished the Old River and throughout the Atchafalaya
swamp area many times. Great fishing most of the time and, depending on
where you launch, seldom crowded. Lots of good fishing water in there.

cybercat

Aug 22, 2009, 10:33:43 AM8/22/09

"modom (palindrome guy)" <use...@michaelodom.net> wrote in message

I love Louisiana and Texas. They are like foreign countries in some
delightful ways.

Where the "asshole" bit came into this thread, for me, is when people who
delight in "correcting" others hopped in. As usual, I automatically assumed
that I was wrong, and sheepishly said, "oh, haha, that's how I remembered it
from the menu 20 years ago." When in fact that was what was ON the blinking
menu. It's a dish, not a gd French lesson. One of the elders in my family
used to be a teacher, and is rude enough to "correct" people all the time.
She uses the fact that she used to be a teacher to "justify" this. It
doesn't help. She just comes off as petty, tightassed, and looking for any
kind of ego boost she can get. Because she is so quick to do this, it often
happens that she is wrong. Ahhhh. Happy moments for me come in most unusual
places.

cybercat

Aug 22, 2009, 10:34:58 AM8/22/09

"ChattyCathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote in message
Afrikaans I think comes from Dutch and German and African? Satay sounds
Indian. Interesting. (I'm not going to tell you you're calling the dish the
wrong thing ...)

ChattyCathy

Aug 22, 2009, 11:03:51 AM8/22/09
cybercat wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>> cybercat wrote:
>>

>>> Where does the word sosaties come from?
>>
>> It's an Afrikaans word, which like many other languages evolved from
>> others. I believe this particular word came from 'saus' i.e. the
>> sauce or marinade part - and 'sate/satay' which refers to meat on
>> skewers in other languages. Maybe it started out as saussate, who
>> knows? All know for sure is that they taste good. <g>
>> --
> Afrikaans I think comes from Dutch and German and African?

Mainly Dutch, but quite a few other languages have contributed words and
phrases...

> Satay sounds Indian. Interesting.

It's also known as such in Indonesia and Malaysia - and sosaties are a
typical Cape Malay dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sate

> (I'm not going to tell you you're calling the dish the wrong
> thing ...)

Thankyewverymuch ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

sf

Aug 22, 2009, 1:17:59 PM8/22/09

Is it a standard recipe or does it vary?

sf

Aug 22, 2009, 1:22:38 PM8/22/09
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:33:43 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I love Louisiana and Texas. They are like foreign countries in some
>delightful ways.
>
>Where the "asshole" bit came into this thread, for me, is when people who
>delight in "correcting" others hopped in. As usual, I automatically assumed
>that I was wrong, and sheepishly said, "oh, haha, that's how I remembered it
>from the menu 20 years ago." When in fact that was what was ON the blinking
>menu. It's a dish, not a gd French lesson. One of the elders in my family
>used to be a teacher, and is rude enough to "correct" people all the time.
>She uses the fact that she used to be a teacher to "justify" this. It
>doesn't help. She just comes off as petty, tightassed, and looking for any
>kind of ego boost she can get. Because she is so quick to do this, it often
>happens that she is wrong. Ahhhh. Happy moments for me come in most unusual
>places.

If you're talking to me, it was an honest question. I didn't know
what an embrochette was. I had already looked it up and it seemed to
vary. I wanted to know what you were talking about, but you've been
on a real tear the last couple of days.

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig

Aug 22, 2009, 2:33:01 PM8/22/09

Did you know that the proper name for Shish Ka Bob
is . . . . . . . . . Shish Ka Robert?
L in F

cybercat

Aug 22, 2009, 2:37:55 PM8/22/09

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

Whoah, there, Nelly. If I were talking to you I would address you. I was
talking about Goomba, and others like her.

sf

Aug 22, 2009, 3:46:14 PM8/22/09
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:37:55 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Whoah, there, Nelly. If I were talking to you I would address you. I was
>talking about Goomba, and others like her.

Well, then please tell me about what you remember as embrochette! I
saw a lot of skewered horseradish filled shrimp recipes and I'm not so
sure that's what you were talking about.

cybercat

Aug 22, 2009, 4:10:32 PM8/22/09

> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:37:55 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Whoah, there, Nelly. If I were talking to you I would address you. I was
>>talking about Goomba, and others like her.
>
> Well, then please tell me about what you remember as embrochette! I
> saw a lot of skewered horseradish filled shrimp recipes and I'm not so
> sure that's what you were talking about.

It was a skewer with what looked like little bacon balls on it, but when
you cut into them, they had scallops and oysters!!! Grilled, and served with
a lemon wedge to squeeze on and a ramekin of red sauce that was kind of
sweet, kind of spicy, not quite bbq sauce, def. not cocktail sauce. Very
nice. I usually had these and the crawfish etouffee. Which at that
restaurant (Atchafalaya River Cafe, the original incarnation, circa 1985 in
Houston TC) had a creamy sauce, not a tomato-based sauce, as I recall. BUT I
COULD BE WRONG. It HAS happened.

Chemiker

Aug 22, 2009, 5:37:19 PM8/22/09
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:10:32 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

You are NOT wrong, Dear. Was the sauce, perhaps, a free-form
remoulade?

NB> Cajun remoulade does NOT resemble in any way the French
stuff that is called by the same name.

Alex, who has eaten Cajun and Creole remoulade all over LA.

cybercat

Aug 22, 2009, 7:27:36 PM8/22/09

"Chemiker" <prussia...@verizon.net> wrote

> Was the sauce, perhaps, a free-form
> remoulade?
>
> NB> Cajun remoulade does NOT resemble in any way the French
> stuff that is called by the same name.

Could have been!

Becca

Aug 22, 2009, 9:19:10 PM8/22/09

It sure is nice to have you back.

Becca

ObFood: For lunch yesterday I had a beef bologna sandwich on 7-grain
bread "dressed" with my-nez.

ChattyCathy

Aug 23, 2009, 5:45:37 AM8/23/09
sf wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:19:39 +0200, ChattyCathy
> <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>>cybercat wrote:
>>

>>> Where does the word sosaties come from?
>>
>>It's an Afrikaans word, which like many other languages evolved from
>>others. I believe this particular word came from 'saus' i.e. the sauce
>>or marinade part - and 'sate/satay' which refers to meat on skewers in
>>other languages. Maybe it started out as saussate, who knows? All know
>>for sure is that they taste good. <g>
>
> Is it a standard recipe or does it vary?

Heh. I've had plenty of variations, and they were all good... Of course,
a lot of folks have their own 'secret' family recipes (handed down from
their great-great-grandmas) - but IME, the marinade always contains
some form of 'curry powder'. (Various types of pre-mixed packages
of 'curry powder' are sold here, but a lot of people buy the individual
spices/chilies sold at the markets and grind/mix their own, thereby
catering to their own tastes.)

The other ingredients in the marinade vary - most people use apricot jam
but you can add some ground ginger, cinnamon, garlic (of course) and
some red wine. (Some people use lemon juice instead of wine, but I
prefer the wine <eg>.)

Dried apricots are a must though - and are placed on the skewers in
between the chunks of lamb/mutton; pieces of onion, and sometimes
chunks of bell pepper are often used too. However, AFAIAA, a 'genuine'
sosatie is supposed to be made with lamb/mutton (not chicken or beef).
Otherwise they'd just be known as kebabs/kabobs (or however you spell
it in your neck of the woods). Probably wouldn't appeal to you tho' -
as I seem to recall you are not that fond of anything that
contains 'curry'.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

blake murphy

Aug 23, 2009, 11:38:23 AM8/23/09

i *thought* i remembered it was you that made the remoulade tour.

your pal,
blake

modom (palindrome guy)

Aug 23, 2009, 11:48:45 AM8/23/09

sf

Aug 23, 2009, 12:14:04 PM8/23/09
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:45:37 +0200, ChattyCathy
<cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>Dried apricots are a must though - and are placed on the skewers in
>between the chunks of lamb/mutton; pieces of onion, and sometimes
>chunks of bell pepper are often used too.

I noticed those dried apricots and wondered if they were the SA
version of pineapple chunks. :)

>However, AFAIAA, a 'genuine'
>sosatie is supposed to be made with lamb/mutton (not chicken or beef).
>Otherwise they'd just be known as kebabs/kabobs (or however you spell
>it in your neck of the woods). Probably wouldn't appeal to you tho' -
>as I seem to recall you are not that fond of anything that
>contains 'curry'.

I'm not fond of curry in general, I didn't say "contains curry".

ChattyCathy

Aug 23, 2009, 12:35:48 PM8/23/09
sf wrote:

> I'm not fond of curry in general, I didn't say "contains curry".

Well, sosaties generally have a 'curried' flavor. Just sayin'.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

sf

Aug 23, 2009, 2:41:20 PM8/23/09
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:35:48 +0200, ChattyCathy
<cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>

>> I'm not fond of curry in general, I didn't say "contains curry".
>>

>Well, sosaties generally have a 'curried' flavor. Just sayin'.

sf

Aug 23, 2009, 2:44:50 PM8/23/09
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:48:45 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
<use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:

Sometimes you go on a quest. One vacation I ordered confit every time
I saw it on the menu.

Chemiker

Aug 23, 2009, 4:06:29 PM8/23/09
<cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:19:39 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>>>It's an Afrikaans word, which like many other languages evolved from
>>>others. I believe this particular word came from 'saus' i.e. the sauce
>>>or marinade part - and 'sate/satay' which refers to meat on skewers in
>>>other languages.

It's my understanding that satay actually derives from English. The
rationale is this:

English brought beef steak to the indian subcontinent and Indochina.
Some languages there (Thai?) have a problem with words beginning with
certain non-vowel sounds, one of which is STxxx. So steak became
SaTake, which evolved into Sate/Satay.

I have noticed that native Korean-speakers can have trouble with
certain English endings. FE: Pharmacy -> Pharmash.

Not restricted to that part of the world, of course. We all joke about
the l/r transposition by Japanese, but English speakers have trouble
getting German right, and Hungarian is a nightmare. That's because
both languages have vowel sounds not found in English. Hungarian,
IIRC, has something like a dozen vowels, all written as a,e,i,o,u, but
some with diacritical marks. Romance languages revel in terminal
vowels (fe: Bolero, di Giorno, Toro, Angelo, etc.), and those native
speakers sometimes retain the terminal vowel at all costs on ENglish
words that end in consonants. (I'm'a Nice'a Guy!"

Alex

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 24, 2009, 1:24:26 AM8/24/09
In article <1hka0wos8qf2w$.2iea8icj...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

I believe it was modom.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out

Steve Pope

Aug 24, 2009, 2:19:37 AM8/24/09
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:10:32 -0400, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com

> It was a skewer with what looked like little bacon balls

> on it, but when you cut into them, they had scallops and
> oysters!!! Grilled, and served with a lemon wedge to squeeze on
> and a ramekin of red sauce that was kind of sweet, kind of spicy,
> not quite bbq sauce, def. not cocktail sauce. Very nice. I
> usually had these and the crawfish etouffee. Which at that
> restaurant (Atchafalaya River Cafe, the original incarnation,
> circa 1985 in Houston TC) had a creamy sauce, not a tomato-based
> sauce, as I recall. BUT I COULD BE WRONG. It HAS happened.

Wasn't Atchafalaya River Cafe the place that put out T-shirts
inscribed "You want me to suck WHAT?" with appropriate crayfish
graphics?

S.

Golden One

Aug 24, 2009, 2:41:06 AM8/24/09
On Aug 22, 10:34 pm, "cybercat" <cyberpu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "ChattyCathy" <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

The Dutch would have been well acquainted with the word *satay*,
having been trading with the Indonesians for centuries.

JB

Golden One

Aug 24, 2009, 2:53:37 AM8/24/09
On Aug 24, 2:44 am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:48:45 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
>
> <use...@michaelodom.net> wrote:
> >It was me.
> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/03ff10b0d1d35879?...

> Sometimes you go on a quest.  One vacation I ordered confit every time
> I saw it on the menu.

That is me in Indonesia. Satay and Gado Gado, can't get enough of that
peanut sauce.

JB

ChattyCathy

Aug 24, 2009, 6:10:57 AM8/24/09
Chemiker wrote:

> It's my understanding that satay actually derives from English. The
> rationale is this:
>
> English brought beef steak to the indian subcontinent and Indochina.
> Some languages there (Thai?) have a problem with words beginning with
> certain non-vowel sounds, one of which is STxxx. So steak became
> SaTake, which evolved into Sate/Satay.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

> I have noticed that native Korean-speakers can have trouble with
> certain English endings. FE: Pharmacy -> Pharmash.

> Not restricted to that part of the world, of course. We all joke about
> the l/r transposition by Japanese, but English speakers have trouble
> getting German right, and Hungarian is a nightmare.

Heh. you should hear me trying to pronounce some Afrikaans words...

> That's because
> both languages have vowel sounds not found in English. Hungarian,
> IIRC, has something like a dozen vowels, all written as a,e,i,o,u, but
> some with diacritical marks. Romance languages revel in terminal
> vowels (fe: Bolero, di Giorno, Toro, Angelo, etc.), and those native
> speakers sometimes retain the terminal vowel at all costs on ENglish
> words that end in consonants. (I'm'a Nice'a Guy!"

Learning to spell English (never mind learning how to pronounce it) must
be a real mission for some, IMHO. After all, it's not the most phonetic
(or should that be 'fonetik'?) language on the planet either, is it?
Take the word 'doubt' or the word 'lamb'. The 'b' is 'silent' in both
cases, but it must confuse the hell out of some people.

Not to mention English grammar; in a lot of other languages the verb is
used at the end of a sentence - but no, not English. Heck, English is
my 'home language' and even I can't always get it right. <sigh>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

blake murphy

Aug 24, 2009, 12:45:25 PM8/24/09

shit! my apologies. at least i remembered it was someone.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Aug 24, 2009, 12:50:18 PM8/24/09
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 00:24:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <1hka0wos8qf2w$.2iea8icj...@40tude.net>,
> blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:37:19 -0500, Chemiker wrote:
>>> Alex, who has eaten Cajun and Creole remoulade all over LA.
>>
>> i *thought* i remembered it was you that made the remoulade tour.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>
> I believe it was modom.

well, sometimes i can remember my phone number.

your pal,
blake

ChattyCathy

Aug 24, 2009, 12:57:46 PM8/24/09
blake murphy wrote:

> well, sometimes i can remember my phone number.

That's more than I can. Hey, I don't phone myself - well, not that
often... Luckily, I usually remember where I live.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Christine Dabney

Aug 24, 2009, 9:14:53 PM8/24/09
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:38:23 -0400, blake murphy
<blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

>i *thought* i remembered it was you that made the remoulade tour.
>
>your pal,
>blake

It was Modom that made the remoulade tour...

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Chemiker

Aug 25, 2009, 1:02:23 AM8/25/09
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:10:57 +0200, ChattyCathy
<cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>Learning to spell English (never mind learning how to pronounce it) must
>be a real mission for some, IMHO. After all, it's not the most phonetic
>(or should that be 'fonetik'?) language on the planet either, is it?
>Take the word 'doubt' or the word 'lamb'. The 'b' is 'silent' in both
>cases, but it must confuse the hell out of some people.
>
>Not to mention English grammar; in a lot of other languages the verb is
>used at the end of a sentence - but no, not English. Heck, English is
>my 'home language' and even I can't always get it right. <sigh>

Years ago an anthropologist/linguist complained that English was one
of the world's most difficult languages because it lacked uniformity.
For example, the word for the kind of animal a trout is, would be
"ghoti". GH as in enouGH, O as in wOmen, TI as in acTIon.
We spell it "fish".

Alex, noting that Hungarian is at least phonetically consistent. They
made it a law in 1895.

blake murphy

Aug 25, 2009, 12:02:17 PM8/25/09
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:57:46 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>

>> well, sometimes i can remember my phone number.
>
> That's more than I can. Hey, I don't phone myself - well, not that
> often...

that's what i tell people, but they still shake their heads.

>Luckily, I usually remember where I live.

i wear a little tag around my neck that says 'if found, drop in nearest
mailbox.'

your pal,
blake

Kathleen

Aug 25, 2009, 7:31:05 PM8/25/09
blake murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:57:46 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>

>>blake murphy wrote:
>>

>>>well, sometimes i can remember my phone number.
>>
>>That's more than I can. Hey, I don't phone myself - well, not that
>>often...
>

> that's what i tell people, but they still shake their heads.

I phone myself at least once a week. How else are you supposed to
locate your cell phone?

ChattyCathy

Aug 26, 2009, 3:54:44 AM8/26/09
Kathleen wrote:

But do you answer it?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

blake murphy

Aug 26, 2009, 1:45:30 PM8/26/09

so far i have resisted getting a cell phone, half from cheapness and half
from not liking phones in general.

your pal,
blake

Nancy Young

Aug 26, 2009, 2:40:17 PM8/26/09

Becca

Aug 26, 2009, 3:49:09 PM8/26/09
blake murphy wrote:

> so far i have resisted getting a cell phone, half from cheapness and half
> from not liking phones in general.
>
> your pal,
> blake

When I retired, I gave my cell phone to one of my children. We bought a
Tracfone in case there is an emergency, and we use it when we travel. I
believe we paid about $100 for one year. I was paying $60 per month,
for my other cell phone.

Becca

sf

Aug 26, 2009, 4:24:10 PM8/26/09
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:40:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
<rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

>wheresmycellphone.com ?

LOLOL! I had to check, it's real. That's a keeper! I use my
husband's cell to phone mine (no land line) and I've wondered what I'd
do if I was alone.

cybercat

Aug 26, 2009, 4:25:42 PM8/26/09

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:40:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>wheresmycellphone.com ?
>
> LOLOL! I had to check, it's real. That's a keeper! I use my
> husband's cell to phone mine (no land line) and I've wondered what I'd
> do if I was alone.

This is really cool.

Nancy Young

Aug 26, 2009, 4:50:56 PM8/26/09
sf wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:40:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> wheresmycellphone.com ?
>
> LOLOL! I had to check, it's real.

Would I lie to you? Hee.

> That's a keeper! I use my
> husband's cell to phone mine (no land line) and I've wondered what I'd
> do if I was alone.

I got rid of my land line, too, and for a bit only had one cell phone.
Thought that was a handy site to know.

nancy

sf

Aug 26, 2009, 5:00:11 PM8/26/09
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:50:56 -0400, "Nancy Young"
<rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:40:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> wheresmycellphone.com ?
>>
>> LOLOL! I had to check, it's real.
>
>Would I lie to you? Hee.
>
>> That's a keeper! I use my
>> husband's cell to phone mine (no land line) and I've wondered what I'd
>> do if I was alone.
>
>I got rid of my land line, too, and for a bit only had one cell phone.
>Thought that was a handy site to know.

I passed it on to my kids who are also landline free.

Thanks!

blake murphy

Aug 27, 2009, 12:04:46 PM8/27/09

every couple of months i'll be in need of one, and i borrow it from someone
more well plugged-in (which is almost everybody).

your pal,
blake

Gregory Morrow

Aug 27, 2009, 7:48:54 PM8/27/09
blake murphy wrote:

You and me both, blake...

--
Best
Greg

Nancy Young

Aug 27, 2009, 10:54:25 PM8/27/09
Gregory Morrow wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:

>> so far i have resisted getting a cell phone, half from cheapness and
>> half from not liking phones in general.
>

> You and me both, blake...

I got a cell phone because I'm cheap and I don't like phones.

nancy

Lou Decruss

Aug 28, 2009, 3:19:48 PM8/28/09

Same here. The cell is much cheaper if you use it much and make long
distance calls. Around here anything over 16 miles is long distance.
That's between switching stations so it could be even less if both
land lines are in the middle of the stations. I don't even know the
home number. It's just there for the DSL.

Lou