Frozen pancakes

George Leppla

Sep 5, 2011, 4:46:43 PM9/5/11

Becca and I volunteered to help organize and work on a pancake breakfast
fund raiser for our church. Small kitchen... but I figured I could get
4 fry pans working.... or maybe find a griddle.... and I'd cook the
pancakes.

Becca looks at me like I lost my mind.... she says we don't have the
time or room to make pancakes from scratch and we are going to use
pre-made frozen ones.

Huh.... what? One of the best cooks I've ever met wants to use frozen
pancakes! Long story short, we had some pancakes for breakfast
yesterday and I have to admit, they are pretty good. Not as good as
made from scratch, but for a church breakfast with sausage, bacon, OJ,
milk, coffee, tea, fresh fruit and melon... it would be a pretty good meal.

But we are thinking about making the pancakes from scratch here at home
that morning... put them in serving pans... load them in a cooler to
keep them warm and haul them to church.

What do you think? Scratch or pre-made?

George L

----

Sep 5, 2011, 4:59:54 PM9/5/11

scratch.

Dave Smith

Sep 5, 2011, 5:03:14 PM9/5/11

Pre-made aren't much worse than those from a mix. For my money, it's
hard to beat scratch, especially if they are buttermilk.

Dimitri

Sep 5, 2011, 5:15:33 PM9/5/11

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

Use Krusteaz complete (just add water).

If possible you'll need a batter dispenser for consistency.

If not use an ice cream scoop and make dollar size. Your key is consistency
of size & color.

Dimitri

sf

Sep 5, 2011, 6:40:48 PM9/5/11
On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:46:43 -0500, George Leppla
<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

> But we are thinking about making the pancakes from scratch here at home
> that morning... put them in serving pans... load them in a cooler to
> keep them warm and haul them to church.
>
> What do you think? Scratch or pre-made?

Listen to your wife. I think frozen premade will taste fresher than
pancakes you'd made at home, held, transported and reheated to serve.

Or you could do a trial run. Make some pancakes and keep them the way
you plan to store them for the duration of the time you think it will
take to make the entire batch for church. Don't forget to add in
transportation time; then reheat and eat - compare it to a commercial
precooked pancake that you've heated up the same way you'd do it in
the church kitchen.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 5, 2011, 10:48:00 PM9/5/11

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

> Becca and I volunteered to help organize and work on a pancake breakfast
> fund raiser for our church. Small kitchen... but I figured I could get 4
> fry pans working.... or maybe find a griddle.... and I'd cook the
> pancakes.
>
> Becca looks at me like I lost my mind.... she says we don't have the time
> or room to make pancakes from scratch and we are going to use pre-made
> frozen ones.
>
> Huh.... what? One of the best cooks I've ever met wants to use frozen
> pancakes! Long story short, we had some pancakes for breakfast yesterday
> and I have to admit, they are pretty good. Not as good as made from
> scratch, but for a church breakfast with sausage, bacon, OJ, milk, coffee,
> tea, fresh fruit and melon... it would be a pretty good meal.

Forge what works for you. Look at it from the customer's point of view.

I'm spending money at a pancake breakfast for two reasons. I want a good
meal, but I also want to help a charity or good organization. If I wanted
frozen pancakes, I'd make them at home. Give me a good breakfast, I'll
return next year and donate. Give me frozen stuff, you'll never see me
again.

You can precook the meats and heat them but for the pancakes, I'd look at
renting or borrowing an electric griddle or two to supplement a griddle on
the stove. If it is a gas stove, treat yourself and buy a good griddle for
home use also. I love my Chef's Design 4240. It is used a couple of times
a week.

Julie Bove

Sep 6, 2011, 1:22:26 AM9/6/11

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

I ate frozen pancakes for many years and had no problems with them. But I
also from time to time would make big batches of pancakes and freeze them to
put in the microwave later.

Where I used to work, we'd have a birthday celebration every month. We'd
spend about 2 hours cooking. There was always at least four of us. We did
have a cafeteria and there was a big griddle. We had no problems making the
pancakes. One person would mix up batches of batter and another would cook.
Another would cut up fruit. And the other person would do the beverages.

We did use pre-cooked bacon and sausage that only needed to be heated
through. If you have to cook those from scratch, it will take a very long
time.

Steve Pope

Sep 6, 2011, 1:31:53 AM9/6/11
Julie Bove <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

>> Becca and I volunteered to help organize and work on a pancake breakfast

>> fund raiser for our church. Small kitchen... but I figured I could get 4
>> fry pans working.... or maybe find a griddle.... and I'd cook the
>> pancakes.

>Where I used to work, we'd have a birthday celebration every month. We'd

>spend about 2 hours cooking. There was always at least four of us. We did
>have a cafeteria and there was a big griddle. We had no problems making the
>pancakes. One person would mix up batches of batter and another would cook.

I also don't see the issue although you did not exactly say how many
servings worth of pancakes you need to prepare, and how fast you need
to get them out. I think I'd be comfortable making around 8 servings
of pancakes every 5 to 7 minutes even without help (other than
carrying them out to the dining area).

One thing you have going for you is that pancake batter needs to set
out for 15 minutes after being mixed anyway, and it is then good for
at least another 30 minutes before you need to use it.

Steve

Storrmmee

Sep 6, 2011, 1:50:33 AM9/6/11
half way inbetween, if you do in the morning, then you could keep warm, if
you made ahead and let cool easier to transport and then reheat while you
are there, either way it will be a good time enjoy the fellowship, Lee

Julie Bove

Sep 6, 2011, 3:03:15 AM9/6/11

"Steve Pope" <spo...@speedymail.org> wrote in message

We did have a steam table at work We prepared most of them before we began
serving. We cooked for about 200 people. If there is no steam table, he
might have a problem either way.

Polly Esther

Sep 6, 2011, 1:30:29 AM9/6/11
For Sunday morning breakfast I made wonderful pancakes. Carefully stored
the leftovers. ( Hey, cooking for two ain't easy.) This morning I heated
the remaining pancakes. They were barely edible.
What are the chances that you could get help? There's bound to be
somebody adept at flipping pancakes that would be willing to join you. How
about the choir director? Polly

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net> wrote in message

George

Sep 6, 2011, 9:38:32 AM9/6/11

Freshly made. If the kitchen is small you could set up a pancake station
outside of it with bigger griddles. Folks want to help a charitable
cause but want good food in return for their money. It is a big turn off
when you cut quality. Some local organizations tried that (using
industrial instead of home made etc) and a lot less people were
interested the next time. I could simply go home and heat up frozen
pancakes.

An organization I belonged to used to have frequent fundraising
breakfasts and we initially rented then bought bigger griddles etc as we
went.

Kalmia

Sep 6, 2011, 10:18:31 AM9/6/11
On Sep 5, 4:46 pm, George Leppla <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

Go for scratch - altho I doubt the ppl eating won't notice or care
much that you knocked yourself out.

Lou Decruss

Sep 6, 2011, 10:36:26 AM9/6/11
On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:46:43 -0500, George Leppla
<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

I wouldn't even think of pre-made. You'll piss people off.

Lou

Pico Rico

Sep 6, 2011, 10:52:28 AM9/6/11

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

you don't mention the headcount. I would say nix on the pre-made, even if
that means renting a big griddle you run outside. I like the idea of a test
run, and it should include a test of how long you can hold the pancakes -
that will tell you much before serving time you can get cooking to get ahead
of the game - at least for a while.

Buy big tubs of whipped butter. think of a variety of toppings. I usually
use jam more often than syrup, so some toppings other than syrup might be a
good idea. Definitely recruit enough help. You want the cooks to cook, not
run. And, as someone else posted, have a dedicated batter mixer person.

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Sep 6, 2011, 12:51:49 PM9/6/11
> "George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Becca and I volunteered to help organize and work on a pancake breakfast
> > fund raiser for our church. Small kitchen... but I figured I could get 4
> > fry pans working.... or maybe find a griddle.... and I'd cook the
> > pancakes.
> >
> > Becca looks at me like I lost my mind.... she says we don't have the time
> > or room to make pancakes from scratch and we are going to use pre-made
> > frozen ones.
> >
> > Huh.... what? One of the best cooks I've ever met wants to use frozen
> > pancakes! Long story short, we had some pancakes for breakfast yesterday
> > and I have to admit, they are pretty good. Not as good as made from
> > scratch, but for a church breakfast with sausage, bacon, OJ, milk, coffee,
> > tea, fresh fruit and melon... it would be a pretty good meal.
> >
> > But we are thinking about making the pancakes from scratch here at home
> > that morning... put them in serving pans... load them in a cooler to keep
> > them warm and haul them to church.
> >
> > What do you think? Scratch or pre-made?
> >
> > George L

What about a compromise? We very successfully freeze homemade
pancakes between either parchment or wax paper in a bag in the freezer.
We then toast them or put them in the oven at a lower heat to warm them
and eat them on days when there is no time to make them from scratch.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Pico Rico

Sep 6, 2011, 2:05:27 PM9/6/11

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote in message

If I wanted to compromise, I would have gotten married. Of course, one gal
told me that compromise meant that sometimes we did things she wanted to do
that I didn't, and the other times we found middle ground.

jmcquown

Sep 6, 2011, 2:26:21 PM9/6/11

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

For a pot luck like that I'd make them at home and take them along as you
described. As long as you have warming trays there shouldn't be any
problem. And really, it's a free breakfast so who is going to complain?

Jill

Janet Bostwick

Sep 6, 2011, 2:31:23 PM9/6/11
On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:46:43 -0500, George Leppla
<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:
snip

>But we are thinking about making the pancakes from scratch here at home
>that morning... put them in serving pans... load them in a cooler to
>keep them warm and haul them to church.
>
>What do you think? Scratch or pre-made?
>
>George L

I'd do a test run at home of putting them in pans and keeping for
awhile. I wonder if they will stick together? If you were just
making a dozen or so to serve to family when everyone is at the table,
I would suggest separating each layer with a towel. That's the way
Alton Brown does it.
Janet US

Message has been deleted

Jerry Avins

Sep 6, 2011, 3:56:18 PM9/6/11
On Sep 5, 4:46 pm, George Leppla <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

You'll have to live with the decision, so you better make it yourself.
Frozen wouldn't have occurred to me, but in light of Becca's
credentials and advice, I'd go with it. After all, if things don't
work out as well as would be liked, it won't be your fault. One
suggestion: beg or borrow a small microwave oven to bring along.

Jerry

George Leppla

Sep 6, 2011, 4:09:31 PM9/6/11
On 9/6/2011 2:56 PM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> You'll have to live with the decision, so you better make it yourself.
> Frozen wouldn't have occurred to me, but in light of Becca's
> credentials and advice, I'd go with it. After all, if things don't
> work out as well as would be liked, it won't be your fault. One
> suggestion: beg or borrow a small microwave oven to bring along.

Well... we are leaning on making them here at home that morning (using
Krusteze mix), keeping them in serving pans in a warm cooler. We can
re-heat if necessary in the oven at church. We'll also pre-cook the
bacon and sausage and re-heat at the church.

Other people will bring the fruit, beverages, etc.

I'm thinking we will feed between 50 and 75 people. it is a fund
raiser... we ask for donations but no one is ever turned away for lack
of money.

Thanks for all the ideas.

George lo

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Sep 6, 2011, 4:50:32 PM9/6/11
In article <j45ngm$vf8$2...@news.mixmin.net>,
"Pico Rico" <Pico...@nonospam.com> wrote:

Your thoughts on marriage are ever so interesting.

Pico Rico

Sep 6, 2011, 6:01:12 PM9/6/11

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

of course, you could pre-make blintzes and heat them up for service, and it
would be a whole lot better than pancakes.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 6, 2011, 10:55:19 PM9/6/11

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote

> Well... we are leaning on making them here at home that morning (using
> Krusteze mix), keeping them in serving pans in a warm cooler. We can
> re-heat if necessary in the oven at church. We'll also pre-cook the bacon
> and sausage and re-heat at the church.

You may want to do a test run first. If you start stacking 200 pancakes in
a cooler, you can end up with a soggy sticky mess on the bottom layers and
all can have a steamed texture. In any case, there is a loss of quality
from fresh made on the spot.

We usually have leftovers from a batch and I put them away for later in the
week. They are OK at 5:30 AM when you don't feel like cooking, but not the
quality of when fresh.

Storrmmee

Sep 7, 2011, 2:15:15 AM9/7/11
please let us know how it turns out, i was wondering if seperating on
parchement paper might be worthwhile? Lee

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

Ophelia

Sep 7, 2011, 3:00:16 AM9/7/11

"Ran�e at Arabian Knits" <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In article <j45ngm$vf8$2...@news.mixmin.net>,
> "Pico Rico" <Pico...@nonospam.com> wrote:
>
>> "Ran�e at Arabian Knits" <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Aren't they just!
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

George Leppla

Sep 7, 2011, 8:34:27 AM9/7/11
On 9/6/2011 9:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> You may want to do a test run first. If you start stacking 200 pancakes
> in a cooler, you can end up with a soggy sticky mess on the bottom
> layers and all can have a steamed texture. In any case, there is a loss
> of quality from fresh made on the spot.

Yeah... we thought of that. We are going to use smaller aluminum
throw-away pans that should hold about 30 to 40 pancakes each. Those
pans go into the cooler.

Making fresh on the spot isn't going to be possible. No room, no
equipment and since this breakfast is going to be before church, we'll
have to serve everyone quickly.

George L

Pico Rico

Sep 7, 2011, 10:13:47 AM9/7/11

"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message

Thank you!

Pico Rico

Sep 7, 2011, 10:15:09 AM9/7/11

"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote in message

I am still curious as to the number of helpers and the number to be fed.

And, let us know how it turns out, and what you might do different next
time.

I'm surprised the feed is before church, not after. Never heard of that.
Is there a reason for that?

George Leppla

Sep 7, 2011, 10:25:53 AM9/7/11

> I am still curious as to the number of helpers and the number to be fed.
>
> And, let us know how it turns out, and what you might do different next
> time.
>
> I'm surprised the feed is before church, not after. Never heard of that.
> Is there a reason for that?

Probably 50 to 75 people... and 6 people doing the work.

This is the first time we are doing a breakfast and as such, wanted to
do it before church service which is at 11 AM. Breakfast will be served
starting at 9:30. We felt that noon is a bit late to be serving a
pancake breakfast and we wanted to do something different than the usual
pot luck dinner.

George L

monicakendle

Sep 7, 2011, 12:24:01 PM9/7/11

George Leppla;1657659 Wrote:
> Becca and I volunteered to help organize and work on a pancake breakfast
>
> fund raiser for our church. Small kitchen... but I figured I could get
>
> 4 fry pans working.... or maybe find a griddle.... and I'd cook the
> pancakes.
>
> Becca looks at me like I lost my mind.... she says we don't have the
> time or room to make pancakes from scratch and we are going to use
> pre-made frozen ones.
>
> Huh.... what? One of the best cooks I've ever met wants to use frozen
> pancakes! Long story short, we had some pancakes for breakfast
> yesterday and I have to admit, they are pretty good. Not as good as
> made from scratch, but for a church breakfast with sausage, bacon, OJ,
> milk, coffee, tea, fresh fruit and melon... it would be a pretty good
> meal.
>
> But we are thinking about making the pancakes from scratch here at home
>
> that morning... put them in serving pans... load them in a cooler to
> keep them warm and haul them to church.
>
> What do you think? Scratch or pre-made?
>
> George L

If you have the resources and time then I'd say the best way to go is to
go with the pancakes that are made from scratch. However, I have worked
pancake breakfasts for my niece and we always serve frozen pancakes
which the customers seem to have enjoyed just as much. The trick is the
people eating the food, 9 times out of 10, aren't going to know whether
the pancakes are made from scratch or frozen so you can get away with
making the frozen ones and they'll be content.

--
monicakendle

jmcquown

Sep 7, 2011, 7:51:21 PM9/7/11

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
Or separate them with waxed paper. People tend to forget about waxed paper
but I use it all the time for things like salmon patties and hamburgers. No
reason not to use it for pancakes :)

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 7, 2011, 7:52:33 PM9/7/11

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net> wrote in message
Separate them with sheets of waxed paper. Not a problem.

Jill

Goomba

Sep 12, 2011, 7:30:40 PM9/12/11
George wrote:

> Freshly made. If the kitchen is small you could set up a pancake station
> outside of it with bigger griddles. Folks want to help a charitable
> cause but want good food in return for their money. It is a big turn off
> when you cut quality. Some local organizations tried that (using
> industrial instead of home made etc) and a lot less people were
> interested the next time. I could simply go home and heat up frozen
> pancakes.
>
> An organization I belonged to used to have frequent fundraising
> breakfasts and we initially rented then bought bigger griddles etc as we
> went.

I would also think the cost of buying pre-made pancakes would offset any
fund profits....?

Dave Smith

Sep 12, 2011, 7:53:44 PM9/12/11
In most cases, the organization is not paying the costs. Some
organizations thrive because they have a dedicated core of volunteers
who are willing to put in the time and spend their own money to help out
with fund raising. I wife is a member of the women's committee at her
church. They provide sandwiches and baked goods for funeral receptions
put on by at their church. When a family holds a a reception at the
church they tell the group how many people they expect and there is a
price per person depending on if it is just coffee and tea, sandwiches
or if they also want cookies and cakes. The women buy the ingredients
and do the baking and preparation. The committee gets the money and uses
it to buy things for the church.

I commented some time ago about the bake sales at my son's school. I
bought the ingredients made several batches of cookies. I was
disappointed to see that they sold the cookies for less than I paid for
ingredients. It would have been cheaper and easier for me just to give
them the money they made from selling my cookies.

George Leppla

Sep 12, 2011, 8:18:22 PM9/12/11
Becca and I are donating the main ingredients (pancakes, sausage and
bacon). Frozen pancakes are surprisingly inexpensive.... about 12 cents
each.... but I'm still leaning towards making them myself.

We have a small "committee" and others are bringing and donating the
fruit, OJ, milk, syrup, etc.

George L

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 12, 2011, 11:39:08 PM9/12/11

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote

> I commented some time ago about the bake sales at my son's school. I
> bought the ingredients made several batches of cookies. I was disappointed
> to see that they sold the cookies for less than I paid for ingredients. It
> would have been cheaper and easier for me just to give them the money they
> made from selling my cookies.

Pathetic, really. I see a couple of problems. The people doing the pricing
have no idea of the actual value of good home baked items. The people
buying have no idea of the value of good home baked product. They probably
looked at them with the idea that you can buy 6 cookies for a dollar at
Walmart so they would offer eight for a buck.

I often look at the table at bake sales and try to find a good home made
item. Last one I saw had cupcakes from the supermarket bakery and dry
brownies. Even real bakeries today often have what I'd consider second rate
good compared to the stuff of years past. We have drifted into a mass
market sea of mediocrity. Good places still exist, but are getting more
difficult to find all the time. If you've ever had a really good
Philadelphia cinnamon bun you'd know that Cinnebon is second rate stuff, but
they sell millions of them.

sf

Sep 13, 2011, 3:50:48 AM9/13/11
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:39:08 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
<e...@snetnospam.net> wrote:

> If you've ever had a really good
> Philadelphia cinnamon bun you'd know that Cinnebon is second rate stuff, but
> they sell millions of them.

I've only heard of Cinnabon as if it's a big deal because people talk
about it here that way and I've never heard of Philadelphia cinnamon
bun.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Giusi

Sep 13, 2011, 6:25:45 AM9/13/11

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

. We have drifted into a mass
> market sea of mediocrity. Good places still exist, but are getting more
> difficult to find all the time. If you've ever had a really good
> Philadelphia cinnamon bun you'd know that Cinnebon is second rate stuff,
> but they sell millions of them.

People know the prices of everything and the value of nothing. Any culture
that uses anything Walmart as a benchmark is in serious trouble. Whereas we
used to think cupcakes from the Giant would be fine for a first grader's
birthday party at school, now the reverse reasoning is "if it's good enough
for first graders, it's good enough for ******." and supermarket cupcakes
become the benchmark. I went to a wedding where instead of a cake there
were tiered cupcake stands on each table. The only difference from those to
supermarket or cakemix cupcakes was that they had three times as much crappy
frosting on each one.

Jim Elbrecht

Sep 13, 2011, 7:25:22 AM9/13/11
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
-snip-

>I commented some time ago about the bake sales at my son's school. I
>bought the ingredients made several batches of cookies. I was
>disappointed to see that they sold the cookies for less than I paid for
>ingredients. It would have been cheaper and easier for me just to give
>them the money they made from selling my cookies.

It wasn't Baclava in Schenectady county, was it? [rhetorical question-
I see you're from the frozen north]

Here's me buying some at a bake sale;
"Yum-- how much is the Baklava?"
"50 cents"
"50 cents? How about I give you $2"
"We only have 3 pieces left"
"I only want 1. I just think $2 is fair and you are a good cause"
"What will we do with the extra $1.50?"
"Put it in the till. Call it a donation"
"We can't take donations-- this is a bake sale"
. . . .

It was great Baklava. But I felt bad for whoever made it.

Jim

George Leppla

Sep 13, 2011, 8:19:53 AM9/13/11
On 9/12/2011 10:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote
>>
>> I commented some time ago about the bake sales at my son's school. I
>> bought the ingredients made several batches of cookies. I was
>> disappointed to see that they sold the cookies for less than I paid
>> for ingredients. It would have been cheaper and easier for me just to
>> give them the money they made from selling my cookies.
>
> Pathetic, really. I see a couple of problems. The people doing the
> pricing have no idea of the actual value of good home baked items. The
> people buying have no idea of the value of good home baked product.
> They probably looked at them with the idea that you can buy 6 cookies
> for a dollar at Walmart so they would offer eight for a buck.

We missed the Bake Sale this past Sunday at church. People usually put
a suggested donation tag on their baked goods. People are free to pay
that, more or nothing. They raised $180 which for a sale that lasts
about 30 minutes after the service, is pretty good.

FWIW.... I'd love to try having a bake sale with no pricing.... just
tell people to donate what they think the item is worth to them.
Considering this is in a church and the buyers are all church members or
visitors, it would be interesting to see how much money would be collected.

George L

Dave Smith

Sep 13, 2011, 9:24:27 AM9/13/11
On 13/09/2011 8:19 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> FWIW.... I'd love to try having a bake sale with no pricing.... just
> tell people to donate what they think the item is worth to them.
> Considering this is in a church and the buyers are all church members or
> visitors, it would be interesting to see how much money would be collected.

Good luck with that. I am not a church goer but have helped out with
events at my wife's church. One time I was selling wine, by the glass
or by the bottle. "The Judge" came and asked for a glass of white wine.
She is a retired judge, and she seemed to think that the church
revolved around her, did strange things like bringing her miserable
vicious dog with her to services even when asked not to. I handed her a
glass of wine and as she lifted it towards her lips I said "That's $3
please". She looked at me as if I had insulted her and decided she did
not want the wine.

She was probably the wealthiest woman in the congregation and could
certainly afford the money. I guess she thought that she was above
paying for wine at a fund raiser dinner. It didn't do much for my
opinion about church people.

Goomba

Sep 13, 2011, 9:50:28 AM9/13/11
Dave Smith wrote:

> Good luck with that. I am not a church goer but have helped out with
> events at my wife's church. One time I was selling wine, by the glass
> or by the bottle. "The Judge" came and asked for a glass of white wine.
> She is a retired judge, and she seemed to think that the church
> revolved around her, did strange things like bringing her miserable
> vicious dog with her to services even when asked not to. I handed her a
> glass of wine and as she lifted it towards her lips I said "That's $3
> please". She looked at me as if I had insulted her and decided she did
> not want the wine.
>
> She was probably the wealthiest woman in the congregation and could
> certainly afford the money. I guess she thought that she was above
> paying for wine at a fund raiser dinner. It didn't do much for my
> opinion about church people.

It may have just been a mistaken perception on your part. If I came to
an event without cash I'd also have had to back out of the wine also!
Especially to events where the ticket in the door was paid for previous
to the event or by check at the door.

I never bring cash to weddings and have been caught unprepared when the
couple (unwisely, IMO) had a cash bar set up. Ugh!

sf

Sep 13, 2011, 10:50:36 AM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:19:53 -0500, George Leppla
<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

> FWIW.... I'd love to try having a bake sale with no pricing.... just
> tell people to donate what they think the item is worth to them.
> Considering this is in a church and the buyers are all church members or
> visitors, it would be interesting to see how much money would be collected.

Great idea!

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Sep 13, 2011, 12:45:16 PM9/13/11
In article <j4nhp...@news1.newsguy.com>,
George Leppla <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

> FWIW.... I'd love to try having a bake sale with no pricing.... just
> tell people to donate what they think the item is worth to them.
> Considering this is in a church and the buyers are all church members or
> visitors, it would be interesting to see how much money would be collected.

We did that when I was in a service organization in college. We
raised a significant amount more than we did when we priced them.

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Sep 13, 2011, 12:46:15 PM9/13/11
In article <OQIbq.528427$g5.2...@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
In the US, at least, a church wouldn't be allowed to sell the wine
without a liquor license, so it would definitely throw me off to be
asked to pay for it.

Lou Decruss

Sep 13, 2011, 12:53:43 PM9/13/11
I didn't think about that. In Chicago there's social clubs that are
private and can sell without a licence. You have to be a member or a
guest to get in. I wonder if a church would fall into that catagory?

Lou

Dave Smith

Sep 13, 2011, 12:58:47 PM9/13/11
On 13/09/2011 12:46 PM, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

>> Good luck with that. I am not a church goer but have helped out with
>> events at my wife's church. One time I was selling wine, by the glass
>> or by the bottle. "The Judge" came and asked for a glass of white wine.
>> She is a retired judge, and she seemed to think that the church
>> revolved around her, did strange things like bringing her miserable
>> vicious dog with her to services even when asked not to. I handed her a
>> glass of wine and as she lifted it towards her lips I said "That's $3
>> please". She looked at me as if I had insulted her and decided she did
>> not want the wine.
>>
>> She was probably the wealthiest woman in the congregation and could
>> certainly afford the money. I guess she thought that she was above
>> paying for wine at a fund raiser dinner. It didn't do much for my
>> opinion about church people.
>
> In the US, at least, a church wouldn't be allowed to sell the wine
> without a liquor license, so it would definitely throw me off to be

They did have a liquor licence. They guy in charge of the dinner is a
cop, so everything was above board. They issue temporary (event)
licences here. However, my problem in that situation was that the old
girl was probably the wealthiest person at the event and could easily
afford a measly glass of wine, but she was so indignant that I expected
her to pay that she decided she did not want it.

Lou Decruss

Sep 13, 2011, 1:28:04 PM9/13/11
Some people make it hard to be nice.

Lou

Pico Rico

Sep 13, 2011, 1:31:29 PM9/13/11

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

maybe she has been donating up the wazoo, and thought you might be offering
her a glass of wine in appreciation. maybe.

Dave Smith

Sep 13, 2011, 1:38:29 PM9/13/11
On 13/09/2011 1:28 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> In the US, at least, a church wouldn't be allowed to sell the wine
>>> without a liquor license, so it would definitely throw me off to be
>>>

>> They did have a liquor licence. They guy in charge of the dinner is a
>> cop, so everything was above board. They issue temporary (event)
>> licences here. However, my problem in that situation was that the old
>> girl was probably the wealthiest person at the event and could easily
>> afford a measly glass of wine, but she was so indignant that I expected
>> her to pay that she decided she did not want it.
>
> Some people make it hard to be nice.

The older she got the worse she got. She had a nasty little dog that she
used to bring to church with her and it was always growling and snapping
at people. She was asked not to bring it. Then she was told not to bring
it. Then they arranged for her to come mid week for special services.

Apparently she had p=bred a strange family. Her son and daughter lived
out of town and never had much to do with her. The organist and his wife
had taken her under their wings and spent a lot of time with her, but
when the old girl got really bad and the children were afraid that she
might leave them her money they developed an interest in their mother
and banned the couple from seeing her.

Dave Smith

Sep 13, 2011, 1:41:27 PM9/13/11
On 13/09/2011 1:31 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

>> They did have a liquor licence. They guy in charge of the dinner is a cop,
>> so everything was above board. They issue temporary (event) licences here.
>> However, my problem in that situation was that the old girl was probably
>> the wealthiest person at the event and could easily afford a measly glass
>> of wine, but she was so indignant that I expected her to pay that she
>> decided she did not want it.
>
> maybe she has been donating up the wazoo, and thought you might be offering
> her a glass of wine in appreciation. maybe.

That is a distinct possibility. If so, someone should have told me. I am
not a member of the church. I was just helping out. But.... for $3 she
could have sprung for it or could have said something rather than just
putting the glass down and saying she didn't want it. It was a
fundraiser. People who go to fundraisers usually expect to pay and help
raise funds for the cause.

Lou Decruss

Sep 13, 2011, 3:06:45 PM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:38:29 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> They did have a liquor licence. They guy in charge of the dinner is a
>>> cop, so everything was above board. They issue temporary (event)
>>> licences here. However, my problem in that situation was that the old
>>> girl was probably the wealthiest person at the event and could easily
>>> afford a measly glass of wine, but she was so indignant that I expected
>>> her to pay that she decided she did not want it.
>>
>> Some people make it hard to be nice.
>

>The older she got the worse she got. She had a nasty little dog that she
>used to bring to church with her and it was always growling and snapping
>at people. She was asked not to bring it. Then she was told not to bring
>it. Then they arranged for her to come mid week for special services.

It seems people handle growing old in different ways. Some mellow and
some turn into beasts.

>Apparently she had p=bred a strange family. Her son and daughter lived
>out of town and never had much to do with her. The organist and his wife
>had taken her under their wings and spent a lot of time with her, but
>when the old girl got really bad and the children were afraid that she
>might leave them her money they developed an interest in their mother
>and banned the couple from seeing her.

Money and greed makes people do crappy things.

Lou

Pico Rico

Sep 13, 2011, 3:48:15 PM9/13/11

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
just another form of "entitlement" thinking.

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Sep 13, 2011, 5:56:20 PM9/13/11
In article <qv9v675honpeudrhc...@4ax.com>,
Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

> Money and greed makes people do crappy things.

Make that greed and I'll agree with you. I don't think that money
necessarily does that to people.

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Sep 13, 2011, 5:57:53 PM9/13/11
In article <ne2v67pvu5e60vrq9...@4ax.com>,
Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

> I didn't think about that. In Chicago there's social clubs that are
> private and can sell without a licence. You have to be a member or a
> guest to get in. I wonder if a church would fall into that catagory?

Usually not. It seems that local liquor licensing and health
departments have too difficult a time dealing with food companies and
restaurants, so they pick on grandmothers, children with lemonade stands
and religious organizations. It makes them feel like they are doing
something. In reality, it is because they are afraid of going after the
folks who do the real damage. Our experience with the criminal justice
system has led us to the same conclusion in that area as well.

Doug Freyburger

Sep 13, 2011, 6:42:41 PM9/13/11
Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In the US, at least, a church wouldn't be allowed to sell the wine
> without a liquor license, so it would definitely throw me off to be
> asked to pay for it.

The detailed rules are different from state to state.

In California my lodge holds a family dinner once per month. Non-Masons
are welcome to attend and it's a good way for prospective members to
check us out and see if they want to hand in a petition to join (in
general there are no invitations to join the Masons. You have to ask).

A non-profit can offer wine at the dinners but if they do it has to be
included in the general admission price. We put out a carafe of wine,
some plastic cups and a voluntary donation bowl. If there are enough
donations to cover it there's wine at net month's dinner. If there are
not enough donations to cover it that's it for the wine.

But without a liquor license there is no charging for it.

I figure plenty of states will have similar rules but the details will
differ state to state.

Lou Decruss

Sep 14, 2011, 11:30:11 AM9/14/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:56:20 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
<arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <qv9v675honpeudrhc...@4ax.com>,
> Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:
>
>> Money and greed makes people do crappy things.
>
> Make that greed and I'll agree with you. I don't think that money
>necessarily does that to people.

If the money isn't theirs YET it does.

Lou

Lou Decruss

Sep 14, 2011, 11:30:44 AM9/14/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:57:53 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
<arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <ne2v67pvu5e60vrq9...@4ax.com>,
> Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't think about that. In Chicago there's social clubs that are
>> private and can sell without a licence. You have to be a member or a
>> guest to get in. I wonder if a church would fall into that catagory?
>
> Usually not. It seems that local liquor licensing and health
>departments have too difficult a time dealing with food companies and
>restaurants, so they pick on grandmothers, children with lemonade stands
>and religious organizations. It makes them feel like they are doing
>something. In reality, it is because they are afraid of going after the
>folks who do the real damage. Our experience with the criminal justice
>system has led us to the same conclusion in that area as well.

I would think they could have a local restaurant with a liquor licence
do the serving and take a cut. Maybe even supply the wine and take
whatever's leftover back to the store. But that might make too much
sense for the authorities.

I went to a county fair a few weeks ago and the beer and wine tent was
vended by a local winery and the VFW or rotary (or whatever) so the
licence wasn't based on one single address unless they had to get a
rider or whatever.

Lou

Lou Decruss

Sep 14, 2011, 11:30:49 AM9/14/11
Liquor laws are strange.

Lou

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Sep 14, 2011, 8:23:09 PM9/14/11
In article <54i177df2vdhs884q...@4ax.com>,
Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:

> I would think they could have a local restaurant with a liquor licence
> do the serving and take a cut. Maybe even supply the wine and take
> whatever's leftover back to the store. But that might make too much
> sense for the authorities.

That's my thinking. Though there are differing laws in each state.

> I went to a county fair a few weeks ago and the beer and wine tent was
> vended by a local winery and the VFW or rotary (or whatever) so the
> licence wasn't based on one single address unless they had to get a
> rider or whatever.

All I know is that in every state we've lived in, they make it very
difficult and expensive (because the real goal is for the state to get
their mitts on money, not because they care one way or the other,
there's that greed thing again) to do so. If it was the VFW, though,
they probably have their own liquor license already for the dances.