Looking for menudo recipe

mack the knife

Oct 25, 2008, 4:33:36 PM10/25/08
I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the flavor of
the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
this? TIA

George

Oct 25, 2008, 6:41:23 PM10/25/08

My favorite version of tripe is the Florentine style which is basically
cooked tripe with a tomato sauce. I don't make it at home because there
is a nearby Mom & Pop restaurant that does a good job with it. Most
recipes are very similar to this:

Tripe Florentine Style (Trippa alla Fiorentina)
Ingredients
700 gr. of already boiled tripe, 500 gr. of tomato sauce, 1 lt. of meat
broth, about 2 dl. of olive oil, 1 onion, 1 carrot, a piece of celery, a
generous pinch of parsley, salt.

Preparation
Take 700 grams of already boiled tripe and cut it into strips half a
finger wide. Then finely chop an onion, one carrott, a piece of celery
and some parsley. Put this “battuto” on fire in a saucepan with some
olive oil. Before the battuto starts to brown toss the tripe in the
saucepan seasoning with some pinch of salt . The tripe will start now to
loose it’s own water: in this phase remember to turn often for about 10
minutes. When the tripe is dried and tender continue to cook for some
minutes over a high flame turning continously. Add now about 500 grams
of tomato sauce and start to cook over a slow fire for at least 2 hours.
Add regularly the meat broth to moisten during the cooking. Serve the
tripe hot and give it more flavor with grated Parmesan cheese.

Preparation Time: about 3 hours

Message has been deleted

Arri London

Oct 25, 2008, 9:04:11 PM10/25/08

Here is a NM recipe that tastes good. Seasoning is always to taste, so
adjust accordingly.

2 qts water or broth
1 small onion, garlic to taste
1 qt cleaned tripe, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp salt
1 red chile pod (or powdered chile to taste)

Many recipes have hominy in them. Use it or not as preferred.Other
recipes also include cow's feet or pig's feet.

Cook tripe in water/broth until tender. Add onion, garlic and deseeded
chile pod (or the powdered chile). Add oregano and salt to taste. Cook
1/2 hour or until the soup becomes medium thick.

dejablues

Oct 25, 2008, 10:52:36 PM10/25/08

"Jeßus" <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:33:36 +0000, mack the knife wrote:
>
> Pretty straight forward - take five young boys, add some bandanas. Give
> them some banal teeny bopper songs. Give them exposure through mainstream
> media. That ought to get you started...

Be sure to recycle the boys when they get too old...

Victor Sack

Oct 26, 2008, 6:45:43 AM10/26/08

Unless you want a version of menudo blanco with no chile peppers at all,
you need at least some, perhaps making a traditional chile pepper purée
or paste. Such a menudo, rojo or verde, as the case may be, ought to be
spicy, often seriously so. In any case, avoid the vile, bland, inedible
hominy like a plague and aim for a southern version with no such
excrescence included.

I have no access to the right chile peppers here, so the last time I
made a menudo-like tripe soup, it turned into a decidedly fusion thing,
as I added some Thai red curry paste (and later added some Korean
gochujang), as well as a splash of nam pla, among some other things.
The soup was made with rumen (blanket tripe) and cooked in a pressure
cooker. It turned out very tasty indeed, even if I say so myself. It
was the first time I felt I made something even better than the
superlative menudo I had had in Taquería La Paloma in Plano, Texas. I
posted the recipe before... here it is again. Amounts are approximate.

Sopa de mondongo a mi manera

2 medium onions, roughly chopped
4 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 celery root (celeriac), finely chopped
1 leek, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
about 1 kg (2.2 pounds) blanket tripe, cut into 1-inch squares
250 ml (1 cup) dry white wine
400 mg (0.9 pound, a standard small can) tomato passata
5 garlic cloves, chopped
3 dried piquin peppers, crushed
powdered cayenne pepper
dried oregano
dried cumin
dried marjoram
3 fresh bay leaves
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
2 tablespoons Korean gochujang chile paste
a splash of nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
mixed beef-and-chicken broth
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in the open pressure cooker and put in the chopped onion,
carrot and celery, and slowly fry them. Add the tripe and fry it over
high heat until it sheds its water - there will be a lot - and the water
evaporates. Pour in the wine, deglazing the pot, and let it evaporate
for the most part. Add the tomato passata, garlic, piquin peppers,
cayenne, oregano, cumin, and bay leaves. Pour in the stock. Add salt
and pepper and mix well. Bring up to pressure over high heat, reduce
heat to as low as possible to maintain the pressure and cook for 40
minutes. Let the pressure get released naturally, about 10 minutes. If
desired, serve some cilantro, lime wedges and raw onion rings on the
side.

Victor

jmcquown

Oct 26, 2008, 7:03:47 AM10/26/08
Victor Sack wrote:
> mack the knife <00...@xxxx.xxx> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web
>> but they are all so different. What should be used to bring out the
>> flavor of the tripe? The last time I made menudo I came out bland,
>> yet I cooked it with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told
>> be to add a couple of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of
>> this, has anyone done this? TIA
>
> Unless you want a version of menudo blanco with no chile peppers at
> all, you need at least some, perhaps making a traditional chile
> pepper purée or paste. Such a menudo, rojo or verde, as the case may
> be, ought to be spicy, often seriously so. In any case, avoid the
> vile, bland, inedible hominy like a plague
(snip)

Got news for you, Victor. You are certainly not in a position to place
yourself as *all that* when it comes to Mexican (not Spanish!) menudo.
You're right about the seriously spicy. You are wrong about hominy. Just
because you don't like it doesn't mean it's the wrong way to make it. I
don't think you'll find authentic Mexican menudo on many German menus. So
get off your high horse. There is absolutely nothing wrong with hominy.

Jill

Victor Sack

Oct 26, 2008, 6:29:11 PM10/26/08
jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > Unless you want a version of menudo blanco with no chile peppers at
> > all, you need at least some, perhaps making a traditional chile
> > pepper purée or paste. Such a menudo, rojo or verde, as the case may
> > be, ought to be spicy, often seriously so. In any case, avoid the
> > vile, bland, inedible hominy like a plague
> (snip)
>
> Got news for you, Victor. You are certainly not in a position to place
> yourself as *all that*

What a particularly inarticulate expression of envy!

> when it comes to Mexican (not Spanish!) menudo.

Got news for you, Jill. There is no such thing as Spanish menudo.

> You're right about the seriously spicy. You are wrong about hominy. Just
> because you don't like it doesn't mean it's the wrong way to make it.

Got problems with reading comprehension again? Nowhere did I write that
using hominy was wrong. On the contrary, I explicitly indicated - in a
part which you disingenuously snipped - that it is the southern versions
that come without hominy, thus implying that northern ones do come with
it. Anyone who knows anything about menudo knows this, except perhaps
you.

So, has dishonesty now replaced your usual egotism and uselessness, or
is it merely an addition?

> don't think you'll find authentic Mexican menudo on many German menus.

And what exactly are you intending to indicate with this non-sequitur?

> So
> get off your high horse. There is absolutely nothing wrong with hominy.

Indeed, except for it being a vile, bland and inedible filler.

Victor

Message has been deleted

jmcquown

Oct 26, 2008, 9:30:40 PM10/26/08
Maybe some people find you useful. The only thing I find you useful for is
to occasionally post the rfc FAQ which, by the way, doesn't require posting
since it's listed on the rfc web site. You are pretentious. I have never
read one single thing where someone said they tried one of your recipes.
People have tried mine and post about their success (or failure). You are a
supercilous bastard and I have no idea why I didn't toss you in my killfile
years ago.

Jill

Mark Thorson

Oct 26, 2008, 10:45:20 PM10/26/08

Oh, c'mon. He stated the common European prejudice
against corn in all its forms (which they, strangely,
call "maize"), and you go flying off the handle
with some sort of "menudo purism" campaign.

Victor is very knowledgeable about food, and he
expresses himself in a sociable manner. This hominy
thing is one of very few areas in which he expresses
his opinion a bit more firmly, and I thought, with
a sense of humor that was totally missed by you.

elaich

Oct 26, 2008, 10:04:34 PM10/26/08
mack the knife <00...@xxxx.xxx> wrote in

Making menudo is not magic. Any store that has a Mexican spice aisle will
have menudo mix. Use it carefully. It's quite potent.

And yes, hominy belongs in menudo. Menudo without hominy is not menudo.

Omelet

Oct 27, 2008, 12:27:26 AM10/27/08
In article <6mkjvdF...@mid.individual.net>,
"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

Jill babe, who were you talking to?
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Omelet

Oct 27, 2008, 12:37:55 PM10/27/08
In article <vorv2wrjpo7j.1r...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

> wow. i guess you told him, huh?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Jill really does post some very edible recipes. :-)
Her postings have given me some new ideas and insights for flavor combos!
I may not always go all with way with them due to living low starch, but
that does not stop me from getting some cool concepts from them.

She has good taste.

Arri London

Oct 27, 2008, 4:32:24 PM10/27/08

LOL not entirely true. There are variations without hominy/nixtamal. I
posted one and it is 'authentic' for my locality.

Mark Thorson

Oct 27, 2008, 4:59:26 PM10/27/08
Arri London wrote:

> elaich wrote:
> >
> > And yes, hominy belongs in menudo. Menudo without hominy is not menudo.
>
> LOL not entirely true. There are variations without hominy/nixtamal.
> I posted one and it is 'authentic' for my locality.

My favorite canned menudo (and the top seller in the
U.S., I believe) is Juanita's brand. It's very good,
and it is available both with and without hominy.

DK

Oct 27, 2008, 8:19:06 PM10/27/08
blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:30:40 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
> wow. i guess you told him, huh?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Another narcissist?

-dk

Victor Sack

Oct 27, 2008, 6:34:48 PM10/27/08
elaich <x@y.z> wrote:

> And yes, hominy belongs in menudo. Menudo without hominy is not menudo.

Nonsense. Even if one knows nothing at all about menudo, it takes only
a couple of minutes to look it up.

Rick Bayless on menudo:
<http://www.rickbayless.com/qa/2007/aug/> - scroll down.

In Durango, menudo duranguense is made sin maíz:
<http://www.visitadurango.com.mx/en/gastronomia.html>
<http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wb2/sectur/sect_680_gastronomia>
<http://cactus.uruza.edu.mx/huizachito2.pdf> (see p.28)

A recipe from _La tradicional cocina mexicana y sus mejores recetas_ by
Adela Fernandez (from books.google.com):
<http://tinyurl.com/6feep3>

"El original Menudo":
<http://www.sahuaromex.com/servicios/receta.php?id=6>

Victor

Omelet

Oct 28, 2008, 1:14:05 AM10/28/08
In article <1ipht7t.m00l1ny9c9k6N%azaz...@koroviev.de>,
azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

I detest Hominy. There is no sin in customizing a recipe for personal
tastes. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

Oct 28, 2008, 12:17:02 AM10/28/08
On Mon 27 Oct 2008 10:14:05p, Omelet told us...

> In article <1ipht7t.m00l1ny9c9k6N%azaz...@koroviev.de>,
> azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:
>
>> elaich <x@y.z> wrote:
>>
>> > And yes, hominy belongs in menudo. Menudo without hominy is not
menudo.

>> Nonsense. Even if one knows nothing at all about menudo, it takes only
>> a couple of minutes to look it up.
>>
>> Rick Bayless on menudo:
>> <http://www.rickbayless.com/qa/2007/aug/> - scroll down.
>>
>> In Durango, menudo duranguense is made sin maíz:
>> <http://www.visitadurango.com.mx/en/gastronomia.html>
>> <http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wb2/sectur/sect_680_gastronomia>
>> <http://cactus.uruza.edu.mx/huizachito2.pdf> (see p.28)
>>
>> A recipe from _La tradicional cocina mexicana y sus mejores recetas_ by
>> Adela Fernandez (from books.google.com):
>> <http://tinyurl.com/6feep3>
>>
>> "El original Menudo":
>> <http://www.sahuaromex.com/servicios/receta.php?id=6>
>>
>> Victor
>
> I detest Hominy. There is no sin in customizing a recipe for personal
> tastes. :-)

You can have all the tripe and I'll take all the hominy. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 10(X)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
2wks 2hrs 44mins
Which way to Castle Anthrax?

Omelet

Oct 28, 2008, 1:55:30 AM10/28/08
In article <Xns9B44D8833894Fwa...@69.16.185.250>,
Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > I detest Hominy. There is no sin in customizing a recipe for personal
> > tastes. :-)
>
> You can have all the tripe and I'll take all the hominy. :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

It's a deal. <g>
I'm still actually trying to work up the nerve to try tripe. I'm sure
it's good. Right now I just make Menudo with trotters or calves feet.

Wayne Boatwright

Oct 28, 2008, 1:06:17 AM10/28/08
On Mon 27 Oct 2008 10:55:30p, Omelet told us...

> In article <Xns9B44D8833894Fwa...@69.16.185.250>,
> Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> > I detest Hominy. There is no sin in customizing a recipe for personal
>> > tastes. :-)
>>
>> You can have all the tripe and I'll take all the hominy. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>
> It's a deal. <g>
> I'm still actually trying to work up the nerve to try tripe. I'm sure
> it's good. Right now I just make Menudo with trotters or calves feet.

I thought tripe was the traditional meat for menudo.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 10(X)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day

2wks 1hrs 59mins
Plankton lobbyist: 'NUKE THE WHALES!'

Omelet

Oct 28, 2008, 2:17:28 AM10/28/08
In article <Xns9B44E0DC4B022wa...@69.16.185.250>,
Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon 27 Oct 2008 10:55:30p, Omelet told us...

> >> You can have all the tripe and I'll take all the hominy. :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright
> >
> > It's a deal. <g>
> > I'm still actually trying to work up the nerve to try tripe. I'm sure
> > it's good. Right now I just make Menudo with trotters or calves feet.
>
> I thought tripe was the traditional meat for menudo.

It is. But after all, it's just a soup recipe! I can do what I want
with it even if it does not fit the classic recipe name. <g>

I will try tripe one of these days. Just....

not yet.

mack the knife

Oct 28, 2008, 11:16:59 AM10/28/08
elaich <x@y.z> wrote in news:6mkltiF...@mid.individual.net:

Thank you for your input. I have seen menudo mix but wasn't sure how to
use it, during cooking or after serving?

blake murphy

Oct 28, 2008, 12:26:15 PM10/28/08
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:37:55 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article <vorv2wrjpo7j.1r...@40tude.net>,
> blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:30:40 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe some people find you useful. The only thing I find you useful for is
>>> to occasionally post the rfc FAQ which, by the way, doesn't require posting
>>> since it's listed on the rfc web site. You are pretentious. I have never
>>> read one single thing where someone said they tried one of your recipes.
>>> People have tried mine and post about their success (or failure). You are
>>> supercilous bastard and I have no idea why I didn't toss you in my killfile
>>> years ago.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> wow. i guess you told him, huh?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>
> Jill really does post some very edible recipes. :-)
> Her postings have given me some new ideas and insights for flavor combos!
> I may not always go all with way with them due to living low starch, but
> that does not stop me from getting some cool concepts from them.
>
> She has good taste.

maybe so, but for her to call victor useless is pretty fucking rich in my
opinion. and just about anything she or her scottish granny doesn't cook
is 'pretentious.'

your panko-eating pal,
blake

Omelet

Oct 28, 2008, 1:31:24 PM10/28/08
In article <itxibrtn1o13.b...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

This is what I love about usenet... The differing personalities. <g>
Keeps life entertaining!

Joseph Littleshoes

Oct 28, 2008, 2:45:17 PM10/28/08
Omelet wrote:

> In article <Xns9B44D8833894Fwa...@69.16.185.250>,
> Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@geemail.com> wrote:
>

>>>I detest Hominy. There is no sin in customizing a recipe for personal
>>>tastes. :-)
>>
>>You can have all the tripe and I'll take all the hominy. :-)
>>
>>--
>> Wayne Boatwright
>

> It's a deal. <g>
> I'm still actually trying to work up the nerve to try tripe. I'm sure
> it's good. Right now I just make Menudo with trotters or calves feet.

Im no fan of menudo (the soup or boy band) but i do like the French ....

Gras double frit a la Troyenne

Cut the cooked Gras Double or ordinary tripe into rectangles, coat with
made mustard then pass through flour, beaten egg and fine white bread
crumbs. Deep fry in very hot oil until crisp and brown. Serve
accompanied with sauce vinaigrette or sauce gribichie.

A la Bourguigonne is rectangles of cooked tripe, dipped in flour, egg
and bread crumbs then deep fried in walnut oil and served with snail
butter flavored with a few drops of Absinthe :)
--
JL

Wayne Boatwright

Oct 28, 2008, 2:59:44 PM10/28/08
On Tue 28 Oct 2008 11:45:17a, Joseph Littleshoes told us...

> Omelet wrote:

>>>You can have all the tripe and I'll take all the hominy. :-)
>>>
>>>--
>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

>> It's a deal. <g>
>> I'm still actually trying to work up the nerve to try tripe. I'm sure
>> it's good. Right now I just make Menudo with trotters or calves feet.
>
> Im no fan of menudo (the soup or boy band) but i do like the French ....

Soup or boys?

--

Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Veteran's Day

1wks 6dys 12hrs 1mins
If at first we don't succeed, we run
the risk of failure.

Arri London

Oct 28, 2008, 7:25:24 PM10/28/08

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 27 Oct 2008 10:55:30p, Omelet told us...

> >> You can have all the tripe and I'll take all the hominy. :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright
> >
> > It's a deal. <g>
> > I'm still actually trying to work up the nerve to try tripe. I'm sure
> > it's good. Right now I just make Menudo with trotters or calves feet.
>
> I thought tripe was the traditional meat for menudo.
>
> --

It is, along with pork trotters and calf feet. There are many versions,
with and without hominy.

Arri London

Oct 28, 2008, 7:27:02 PM10/28/08

During cooking, the way other spices would be added to a soup or stew.
And the hominy is optional.

Omelet

Oct 28, 2008, 9:08:27 PM10/28/08
In article <c7486$49074fc2$4396fe95$25...@DIALUPUSA.NET>,
Joseph Littleshoes <jpst...@isp.com> wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> >>You can have all the tripe and I'll take all the hominy. :-)
> >>
> >>--
> >> Wayne Boatwright
> >

> > It's a deal. <g>
> > I'm still actually trying to work up the nerve to try tripe. I'm sure
> > it's good. Right now I just make Menudo with trotters or calves feet.
>
> Im no fan of menudo (the soup or boy band) but i do like the French ....
>
> Gras double frit a la Troyenne
>
> Cut the cooked Gras Double or ordinary tripe into rectangles, coat with
> made mustard then pass through flour, beaten egg and fine white bread
> crumbs. Deep fry in very hot oil until crisp and brown. Serve
> accompanied with sauce vinaigrette or sauce gribichie.

Ok, that's just interesting and different enough for me to consider.

> A la Bourguigonne is rectangles of cooked tripe, dipped in flour, egg
> and bread crumbs then deep fried in walnut oil and served with snail
> butter flavored with a few drops of Absinthe :)

Snail butter with Absinthe? Where do you find this stuff? ;-D

> --
> JL

Omelet

Oct 28, 2008, 9:12:55 PM10/28/08
In article <49079F64...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

I can actually get calves feet locally. They look just like good soup
bones all cleaned and cut up:

http://i19.tinypic.com/2s6on7k.jpg

I make calves foot jelly regularly now for dad. He loves it a LOT and it
seems to help with his energy levels, and his memory issues! I can add
a lot of nutrition to that single dish, and have recently started
adding Vionate (a vitamin/mineral supplement) to it.

It's generally a 2 day recipe but I can make it in one if I'm off of
work. The main things are the cooling and defatting steps.

Joseph Littleshoes

Oct 28, 2008, 9:16:01 PM10/28/08

I thought that might get a response:)
Its an Escoffier recipe, back from when absinthe was legal and easily
procurable.
--
JL

Omelet

Oct 28, 2008, 9:54:44 PM10/28/08
In article <213b9$4907ab59$4396f5d2$30...@DIALUPUSA.NET>,
Joseph Littleshoes <jpst...@isp.com> wrote:

You _can_ make your own. Wormwood is not illegal to grow.

Christine Dabney

Oct 28, 2008, 8:59:35 PM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:54:44 -0600, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <213b9$4907ab59$4396f5d2$30...@DIALUPUSA.NET>,
> Joseph Littleshoes <jpst...@isp.com> wrote:
>
>> > Snail butter with Absinthe? Where do you find this stuff? ;-D

>> I thought that might get a response:)

>> Its an Escoffier recipe, back from when absinthe was legal and easily
>> procurable.
>> --
>> JL
>
>You _can_ make your own. Wormwood is not illegal to grow.

Absinthe is legally available once again, and has become quite
fashionable. Several small companies are making it...

Christine

Omelet

Oct 28, 2008, 10:05:03 PM10/28/08
In article <p9dfg45324b8n1hcg...@4ax.com>,
Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

I don't know whether that's a good thing or not. <g>

What they really need to bring back is Paragoric. It is available by Rx
only.

Victor Sack

Oct 29, 2008, 1:09:27 AM10/29/08
Joseph Littleshoes <jpst...@isp.com> wrote:

> >>Cut the cooked Gras Double or ordinary tripe into rectangles

[snip]

Why is gras-double (i.e. the thick part of the rumen, blanket tripe) not
ordinary tripe?

> I thought that might get a response:)
> Its an Escoffier recipe, back from when absinthe was legal and easily
> procurable.

In most of Europe, at least, absinthe (real one, containing thujone) has
been legal and easily procurable since 1998 (and, in Germany, earlier
still). In some countries it had never been banned. So, the recipe can
be easily reproduced here. However, in the USA, absinthe is still not
allowed to contain thujone, so, theoretically, at least, the real thing
is not supposed to be available.

Victor

Mark Thorson

Oct 29, 2008, 5:09:23 PM10/29/08
Victor Sack wrote:

> In most of Europe, at least, absinthe (real one, containing thujone) has
> been legal and easily procurable since 1998 (and, in Germany, earlier
> still). In some countries it had never been banned. So, the recipe can
> be easily reproduced here. However, in the USA, absinthe is still not
> allowed to contain thujone, so, theoretically, at least, the real thing
> is not supposed to be available.

For more information about obtaining absinthe,
this is a good start:

http://www.feeverte.net/guide/

zxcvbob

Oct 29, 2008, 4:44:42 PM10/29/08

Doesn't vermouth contain a significant amount of thujone?

Or you could steep arbor vitae leaves (berries?) in Everclear and use
the infusion to boost some Pernod. (I don't recommend this)

Or use wormwood/southernwood/tansy or certain species of sage as the
bittering agent for a strong beer or mead... This one might actually be
pretty good.

Bob

Tracy

Oct 29, 2008, 4:59:18 PM10/29/08

Moroccans sometimes add sprigs of wormwood to mint tea. I think they
consider it a special treat.
I forget the Arabic word for wormwood - but I want to say it's sheeba or
something like that.

I have had it couple, few times. I don't recall a huge difference in the
flavor of the tea.

-Tracy

Arri London

Oct 29, 2008, 8:35:14 PM10/29/08

Omelet wrote:

> In article <49079F64...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
> wrote:

<snip>

> > > I thought tripe was the traditional meat for menudo.
> > >
> > > --
> >

> > It is, along with pork trotters and calf feet. There are many versions,
> > with and without hominy.
>
> I can actually get calves feet locally. They look just like good soup
> bones all cleaned and cut up:
>
> http://i19.tinypic.com/2s6on7k.jpg
>
> I make calves foot jelly regularly now for dad. He loves it a LOT and it
> seems to help with his energy levels, and his memory issues! I can add
> a lot of nutrition to that single dish, and have recently started
> adding Vionate (a vitamin/mineral supplement) to it.
>
> It's generally a 2 day recipe but I can make it in one if I'm off of
> work. The main things are the cooling and defatting steps.
> --
> Peace! Om

Calf foot jelly is a very traditional item of diet for invalids. Mrs
Beeton's recipe starts with a stock made from the feet. Then it is
cooled and defatted. Then simmered again and clarifed etc. Also a
two-day (or more) process.

My local Bengali curry places often had cow-heel curries as 'specials'.
Never tried one though cos beef was off the menu for me by then.

Omelet

Oct 30, 2008, 4:36:19 AM10/30/08
In article <6ms09rF...@mid.individual.net>,
zxcvbob <zxc...@charter.net> wrote:

From what little I've read about Absinthe, Wormwood is a primary
ingredient?

Omelet

Oct 30, 2008, 4:37:01 AM10/30/08
In article <geair8$vge$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,
Tracy <kara...@bc.edu> wrote:

> > Or use wormwood/southernwood/tansy or certain species of sage as the
> > bittering agent for a strong beer or mead... This one might actually be
> > pretty good.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Moroccans sometimes add sprigs of wormwood to mint tea. I think they
> consider it a special treat.
> I forget the Arabic word for wormwood - but I want to say it's sheeba or
> something like that.
>
> I have had it couple, few times. I don't recall a huge difference in the
> flavor of the tea.
>
> -Tracy

I don't think Wormwood is added for the flavor... <g>

Omelet

Oct 30, 2008, 4:53:06 AM10/30/08
In article <49090142...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Calf foot jelly is a very traditional item of diet for invalids.

He is 76. Not an invalid, but he's having elderly issues if you know
what I mean. It really does seem to help!

> Mrs
> Beeton's recipe starts with a stock made from the feet. Then it is
> cooled and defatted. Then simmered again and clarifed etc. Also a
> two-day (or more) process.
>
> My local Bengali curry places often had cow-heel curries as 'specials'.
> Never tried one though cos beef was off the menu for me by then.

Why is beef off the menu? It's one of the best sources there is for
vitamin B-12 unless you want to take Brewers Yeast.
It's also a good source of Iron for women.

Blinky the Shark

Oct 30, 2008, 6:01:38 AM10/30/08
Omelet wrote:

> In article <49090142...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Calf foot jelly is a very traditional item of diet for invalids.
>
> He is 76. Not an invalid, but he's having elderly issues if you know
> what I mean. It really does seem to help!
>
>> Mrs
>> Beeton's recipe starts with a stock made from the feet. Then it is
>> cooled and defatted. Then simmered again and clarifed etc. Also a
>> two-day (or more) process.
>>
>> My local Bengali curry places often had cow-heel curries as 'specials'.
>> Never tried one though cos beef was off the menu for me by then.

I feel a reference to neet's foot oil coming on. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

chilichick

Oct 30, 2008, 11:48:24 AM10/30/08
On Oct 25, 1:33 pm, mack the knife <0...@xxxx.xxx> wrote:
> I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
> they are all so different.  What should be used to bring out the flavor of
> the tripe?  The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
> with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
> of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
> this?  TIA

Hey Mack,
I make Menudo alot... I use my great grandmothers recipe. It's very
flavorful not too spicy.
depending on how much you want I make this for about 15 - 20 family
and friends.
I start out with 20lbs of Honeycomb tripe (more expensive but best for
menudo) I use lots of lemon (12) to clean the menudo. Rinse it when
you first get it, soak it and squeeze about 3-4 lemons. I cut the fat
off the tripe and cut to size, I transfer cut pieces to another bowl
with clean lemon water. Once all cut I let it soak and then rinse and
repeat.do this about 3 times to clean it really good. My Aunt would
cook it outside because of the smell... the lemon rinse cuts the
smell.

20 lbs Honeycomb tripe
1 lg onion ... I add the whole onion and then take it out afterwards
1 head of garlic whole pieces
1 lg package of California chili powder ...
2 small packages of New Mexico Chili powder
I don't really measure, but salt, pepper maybe 1/2 to 1 teaspoon or
too taste... cumin about the same...
2 lg cans of Hominy (we like lots of hominy)
I cook mine in roaster 18 qt, I start it at about 10 pm and at 6am I
add hominy. It's ready anytime after 8am...

cut onion, cilantro, dry oregano and lemon for sides... and the
tortillas mmmmm

I'm making it this weekend as well. I find the tripe for about 2.50
lb
enjoy, I'd like to know if you decide to try this and get your
opinion.
thanks

Arri London

Oct 31, 2008, 11:59:58 PM10/31/08

Omelet wrote:

> In article <49090142...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Calf foot jelly is a very traditional item of diet for invalids.
>
> He is 76. Not an invalid, but he's having elderly issues if you know
> what I mean. It really does seem to help!
>
> > Mrs
> > Beeton's recipe starts with a stock made from the feet. Then it is
> > cooled and defatted. Then simmered again and clarifed etc. Also a
> > two-day (or more) process.
> >
> > My local Bengali curry places often had cow-heel curries as 'specials'.
> > Never tried one though cos beef was off the menu for me by then.
>
> Why is beef off the menu? It's one of the best sources there is for
> vitamin B-12 unless you want to take Brewers Yeast.
> It's also a good source of Iron for women.
> --
> Peace! Om

BSE. Stopped eating beef in the UK as soon as the word BSE appeared in
the late 80s. US herds aren't tested so prefer to avoid the risk full
stop. Besides there is nothing in beef that isn't in other foods. Would
need to eat kilos of the stuff to treat my anaemia; a tiny tablet works
just as well :)

Omelet

Nov 1, 2008, 1:46:32 AM11/1/08
In article <490BD43E...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

Whatever works for you babe. :-)

So long as you know that tablet is probably animal source...

Arri London

Nov 3, 2008, 12:00:20 AM11/3/08

It isn't. Easier to extract iron compounds (ferrous sulphate) from
mineral sources. Red meat doesn't actually contain all that much iron,
although liver does.

(Not a vegetarian in any case. Just don't eat beef.)

Omelet

Nov 3, 2008, 1:27:25 AM11/3/08
In article <490E8564...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

> > > BSE. Stopped eating beef in the UK as soon as the word BSE appeared in

> > > the late 80s. US herds aren't tested so prefer to avoid the risk full
> > > stop. Besides there is nothing in beef that isn't in other foods. Would
> > > need to eat kilos of the stuff to treat my anaemia; a tiny tablet works
> > > just as well :)
> >
> > Whatever works for you babe. :-)
> >
> > So long as you know that tablet is probably animal source...
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> It isn't. Easier to extract iron compounds (ferrous sulphate) from
> mineral sources. Red meat doesn't actually contain all that much iron,
> although liver does.
>
> (Not a vegetarian in any case. Just don't eat beef.)

But man, I do SO love a good hunk of half-raw dead cow! <drool>

I've of a mind that food sources of iron are best, but that's just what
has worked for me. Whenever my blood count starts dropping, I hit the
beef. Can't eat it regularly as it's too expensive.

Chicken and pork just don't seem to substitute.

Arri London

Nov 5, 2008, 10:21:24 AM11/5/08

Omelet wrote:

> In article <490E8564...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > So long as you know that tablet is probably animal source...
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om
> > >

> > It isn't. Easier to extract iron compounds (ferrous sulphate) from
> > mineral sources. Red meat doesn't actually contain all that much iron,
> > although liver does.
> >
> > (Not a vegetarian in any case. Just don't eat beef.)
>
> But man, I do SO love a good hunk of half-raw dead cow! <drool>

LOL. You like it, you enjoy it.
My favourite is lamb but usually a little too pricey around here for
regular consumption.

> I've of a mind that food sources of iron are best, but that's just what
> has worked for me. Whenever my blood count starts dropping, I hit the
> beef. Can't eat it regularly as it's too expensive.
>
> Chicken and pork just don't seem to substitute.
> --
> Peace! Om

No they wouldn't substitute; they do contain less iron than 'redder'
meats. Food sources are usually best but in a clinical situation, the
little tablet is easier :)

Omelet

Nov 5, 2008, 11:23:37 AM11/5/08
In article <4911B9F4...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > It isn't. Easier to extract iron compounds (ferrous sulphate) from
> > > mineral sources. Red meat doesn't actually contain all that much iron,
> > > although liver does.
> > >
> > > (Not a vegetarian in any case. Just don't eat beef.)
> >
> > But man, I do SO love a good hunk of half-raw dead cow! <drool>
>

> LOL. You like it, you enjoy it.
> My favourite is lamb but usually a little too pricey around here for
> regular consumption.

Same here! If I could afford lamb, you bet I'd eat it more often.
Ever thought of slaughtering your own?

> > I've of a mind that food sources of iron are best, but that's just what
> > has worked for me. Whenever my blood count starts dropping, I hit the
> > beef. Can't eat it regularly as it's too expensive.
> >
> > Chicken and pork just don't seem to substitute.
>

> No they wouldn't substitute; they do contain less iron than 'redder'
> meats. Food sources are usually best but in a clinical situation, the
> little tablet is easier :)

But Iron tablets make many people constipated...

Arri London

Nov 7, 2008, 1:21:13 AM11/7/08

Omelet wrote:

> In article <4911B9F4...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > But man, I do SO love a good hunk of half-raw dead cow! <drool>
> >

> > LOL. You like it, you enjoy it.
> > My favourite is lamb but usually a little too pricey around here for
> > regular consumption.
>
> Same here! If I could afford lamb, you bet I'd eat it more often.
> Ever thought of slaughtering your own?

Ummm no LOL. Besides the fact we don't raise lambs in the back garden :O
, wouldn't have any idea of how to do it.

> > > I've of a mind that food sources of iron are best, but that's just what
> > > has worked for me. Whenever my blood count starts dropping, I hit the
> > > beef. Can't eat it regularly as it's too expensive.
> > >
> > > Chicken and pork just don't seem to substitute.
> >
> > No they wouldn't substitute; they do contain less iron than 'redder'
> > meats. Food sources are usually best but in a clinical situation, the
> > little tablet is easier :)
>
> But Iron tablets make many people constipated...
> --
> Peace! Om

That's what fruit and veg are for, to preclude that problem :)

Omelet

Nov 7, 2008, 3:26:59 AM11/7/08
In article <4913DE59...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

> > > LOL. You like it, you enjoy it.

> > > My favourite is lamb but usually a little too pricey around here for
> > > regular consumption.
> >
> > Same here! If I could afford lamb, you bet I'd eat it more often.
> > Ever thought of slaughtering your own?
>
> Ummm no LOL. Besides the fact we don't raise lambs in the back garden :O
> , wouldn't have any idea of how to do it.

There are instructions on the internet. <g>

<http://www.noelchadwick.co.uk/abattoir_slgthtr_lamb.html>

> > > No they wouldn't substitute; they do contain less iron than 'redder'
> > > meats. Food sources are usually best but in a clinical situation, the
> > > little tablet is easier :)
> >
> > But Iron tablets make many people constipated...
> > --
> > Peace! Om
>

> That's what fruit and veg are for, to preclude that problem :)

Lots of leafy greens! :-)

elvie....@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2008, 3:24:42 PM11/25/08
On Oct 25, 9:33 pm, mack the knife <0...@xxxx.xxx> wrote:
> I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
> they are all so different.  What should be used to bring out the flavor of
> the tripe?  The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
> with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
> of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
> this?  TIA

i want to see the ingredients abauth menudo.becaus ther are so many
menudo recipe