filet of pork a la Oscar

Leeah

Mar 31, 2002, 7:59:43 AM3/31/02

morning glory

Mar 31, 2002, 10:52:46 AM3/31/02
Leeah <LWo...@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:20722-3CA...@storefull-2332.public.lawson.webtv.net...
> Hello!
> I found this wonderful group a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading
> some of the posts and getting some fantastic recipes.
>
> I have a question. Does anyone know what filet of pork a la Oscar is?

It could be a variation on Veal Oscar, which is an old French style dish. It
basically consists of veal escalope topped with asparagus, crabmeat or
lobster and covered in a hollandaise sauce. I found the following
variations:

Veal oscar - escalope of veal tossed in cajun seasoning topped with crabmeat
and a warm hollandaise sauce

Pollo Oscar Chicken served in a cream sauce of prawns & broccoli

VEAL OSCAR, breaded cutlet of veal, sautéed in butter, topped with a lobster
newburg sauce and asparagus, wrapped with Hollandaise

Veal Oscar: Classic preparation, asparagus, king crab, armagnac glace napped
with hollandaise

Veal Oscar - grilled escalop served with Asparagus,
Tiger Prawns and a Bernaise Sauce

Regards

Morning Glory

modom

Mar 31, 2002, 12:37:49 PM3/31/02
On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 07:59:43 -0500 (EST), LWo...@webtv.net (Leeah)
wrote:

>I have a question. Does anyone know what filet of pork a la Oscar is?

>I am from the US and will be moving to Norway and getting married in a
>few months. My fiance's cousin is a chef and she is making our dinner
>for the wedding reception. She wants to make filet of pork a la Oscar.

As another poster mentioned it's likely a variation on veal Oscar.
There's a sneaky restaurant deception that involves marinating pork in
milk and then passing it off as veal. In this case, it seems the chef
is honest. (Insert proper emoticon here.)

>I have no idea what it is besides a piece of pork. My fiance isn't even
>sure what it is but he is Norwegian and will eat just about anything.

!!! (Insert lutefisk comment here)

>Also, I loved reading all the recipes using cardamom. It is a very
>popular spice in Norway and I bought a bottle of it when I was there
>last year. I haven't used it yet but plan to use it soon. It thought
>it would have a sweet smell, but to me it smells kind of like a
>pepper...maybe something like lemon pepper. Is it supposed to smell
>like that?

Yup. There's a scene in one of Raymond Chandler's detective novels
where a crooked cop crunches down on a cardomom pod after he swigs
whiskey in his office. It took me a while to figure it out, but
apparently he was trying for a mouthwash effect to hide the smell of
booze.

>One more question. I use a webtv. How can I find this wonderful group
>on a computer?

The computer will have to be connected to an Internet service provider
(ISP) with a news server. You'll have to run a news reader (AKA a
client). If you have a Windows-baced computer, then you probably have
Outlook Express in your system. It's a news client. Netscape also
offers news reading functions. However, I recommend Forte Agent. You
can find it here: http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

You have to tell your news client the name of your news server. If
your ISP is like most, then the news server will be called
"news.nameofISP.com" For example, one server I use is news.koyote.com
because that's my primary ISP.

Then you have to tell you client which news groups you want to
subscribe to, a task that differs among the various news readers, but
which is usually fairly intuitive. Actually it's all a lot easier
than I've made it seem. Sorry about that.

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat,
The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
-- Han Shan

PENMART01

Mar 31, 2002, 12:39:17 PM3/31/02
Leeah <LWo...@webtv.net> wrote:

>I have a question. Does anyone know what filet of pork a la Oscar is?

A poor person's impersonation of the original.

veal Oscar; veal Oskar [OS-kuhr]
Said to have been named in honor of Sweden's King Oscar II, who was especially
partial to its ingredients, this dish consists of sautéed veal cutlets topped
with crab or CRAYFISH meat and BÉARNAISE SAUCE. Veal Oscar is finished with a
garnish of asparagus spears.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Sheldon
````````````

Nancy Young

Mar 31, 2002, 12:54:37 PM3/31/02
modom wrote:

> Yup. There's a scene in one of Raymond Chandler's detective novels
> where a crooked cop crunches down on a cardomom pod after he swigs
> whiskey in his office. It took me a while to figure it out, but
> apparently he was trying for a mouthwash effect to hide the smell of
> booze.

I had a boss who kept a box of cloves on his desk to chew as a
breath freshener. He didn't drink, though ... I wish he did.

nancy

Leeah

Mar 31, 2002, 3:08:14 PM3/31/02

Cuchulain Libby

Mar 31, 2002, 4:00:53 PM3/31/02
And yet, webbie HELL goes on.
NO HTML, can the stupid graphics and MIDI crap when posting here. This group
is not a WebTV-centric group nor is any Usenet group. This is a text-based
medium.

--
-Hound

---

LIMEYNO1

Apr 1, 2002, 7:55:31 PM4/1/02
I imagine, pork tenderloin

--
Howdy from Helen Peagram in Beautiful Stoney Creek

[...]

Thanks for any information anyone can give me!!  You can also contact me
at LWo...@webtv.net.

Have a happy Easter!
Leeah

spam]@world.std.com Blair P. Houghton

Apr 2, 2002, 12:19:31 AM4/2/02
PENMART01 <penm...@aol.como> wrote:

>A poor person's impersonation of the original.

You ought to put that in your .sig, Shel.

>Sheldon
>````````````

>"A poor person's impersonation of the original."

--Blair
"Why you would impersonate Charles
Manson is your own trip."

Malin Eriksson

Apr 2, 2002, 5:03:55 PM4/2/02
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote in message news:<20020331123917...@mb-fo.aol.com>...

> Leeah <LWo...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >
> >I have a question. Does anyone know what filet of pork a la Oscar is?
>
> A poor person's impersonation of the original.
>
> veal Oscar; veal Oskar [OS-kuhr]
> Said to have been named in honor of Sweden's King Oscar II, who was especially
> partial to its ingredients, this dish consists of sautéed veal cutlets topped
> with crab or CRAYFISH meat and BÉARNAISE SAUCE. Veal Oscar is finished with a
> garnish of asparagus spears.

Hmm... More like it, but still a poorer version. A true filet Oscar is
made of veal *filets*, topped with

- a *lobster claw*,
- a slice of *truffle*,
- bearnaise sauce and
- two asparagus spears

arranged to look like the seal (?) of King Oscar II. However, in
modern Swedish restaurants, "Oscar" might be a pork chop with
bearnaise, topped with two shrimps and a green bean...

Malin

PENMART01

Apr 2, 2002, 5:31:22 PM4/2/02
malinski writes:

>penmart01wrote:

>> Leeah wrote:
>> >
>> >I have a question. Does anyone know what filet of pork a la Oscar is?
>>
>> A poor person's impersonation of the original.
>>
>> veal Oscar; veal Oskar [OS-kuhr]
>> Said to have been named in honor of Sweden's King Oscar II, who was
>especially
>> partial to its ingredients, this dish consists of sautéed veal cutlets
>topped
>> with crab or CRAYFISH meat and BÉARNAISE SAUCE. Veal Oscar is finished with
>> garnish of asparagus spears.
>
>Hmm... More like it, but still a poorer version. A true filet Oscar is
>made of veal *filets*, topped with
>
>- a *lobster claw*,
>- a slice of *truffle*,
>- bearnaise sauce and
>- two asparagus spears

Point to a corroborative reference work which varifies authenticity.

Malin Eriksson

Apr 4, 2002, 4:24:59 PM4/4/02
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote in message news:<20020402173122...@mb-fi.aol.com>...
> malinski writes:

> >Hmm... More like it, but still a poorer version. A true filet Oscar is
> >made of veal *filets*, topped with
> >
> >- a *lobster claw*,
> >- a slice of *truffle*,
> >- bearnaise sauce and
> >- two asparagus spears
>
> Point to a corroborative reference work which varifies authenticity.

[pointing to the back of my head with one hand, and to the phone I use
to call my mother with the other]

A webpage in Swedish, is that corroborative enough? Here it is:
http://www.ovansjoparken.com/ovansjo14.asp (and I must admit to some
errors after finding it, the sauce is supposed to be choron, not
bearnaise, and the piece of lobster is supposed to be a slice, not a
claw).

Here's a summary in English:

The dish was composed by the chef of restaurant Operakällaren, Paul
Edmond Malaise (what a name!) to honour king Oscar II when he
celebrated 25 years as a king, 18 september 1897.

Fry slices of veal filet, dusted with some flour in butter. Put the
slices on a plate, and pipe an "O" (for Oscar) around them. Put two
spears of asparagus on top of everything, and a slice of lobster
garnished with some truffle on the asparagus buds (or whatever they're
called). The dish will now look like the crowned monogram of king
Oscar II -- and the lobster, truffle, asparagus and sauce will also
give a hint of the colours of the king's purple mantle with ermine
trimmings...

Since I'm a hopeless know-it-all, I e-mailed Operakällaren to have
this confirmed (yes, the restaurant is still there -- and it opened in
1787...).

Malin

PENMART01

Apr 4, 2002, 5:20:28 PM4/4/02
In article <579faca2.02040...@posting.google.com>,
mali...@algonet.se (Malin Eriksson) writes:

I seriously doubt there were Webpages in 1787. I also seriously doubt anyone
at the time wrote down the original recipe, as most often is the case with
original recipes.

Do you know what a "reference work" is"? No, I didn't think so. Do you
understand what it means to "varify authenticity"? No, I didn't think you'd
know that either. But still I gave you the benefit of any doubt. Thank you
for not disappointing.

Probably no one recalls exactly of what it was the very first veal oscar
consisted, but every acclaimed food reference attributes crab (not lobster)...
sure folks can jazz up recipes; why didn't you add a big fat dollop of caviar.
And another thing, a real chef NEVER accompanies seafood with truffle... which
was the tip off.

spam]@world.std.com Blair P. Houghton

Apr 5, 2002, 12:39:06 AM4/5/02

You're a fucking moron. The dish was created in 1897. He did
real fact-checking with the Restaurant. His response to your
idiotic troll was to run you through with your own rusted
paring knife.

--Blair
"Troll Alfredo."

Malin Eriksson

Apr 5, 2002, 10:43:52 AM4/5/02
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote in message news:<20020404172028...@mb-cu.aol.com>...

> I seriously doubt there were Webpages in 1787. I also seriously doubt anyone
> at the time wrote down the original recipe, as most often is the case with
> original recipes.
>
> Do you know what a "reference work" is"? No, I didn't think so. Do you
> understand what it means to "varify authenticity"? No, I didn't think you'd
> know that either. But still I gave you the benefit of any doubt. Thank you
> for not disappointing.
>
> Probably no one recalls exactly of what it was the very first veal oscar
> consisted, but every acclaimed food reference attributes crab (not lobster)...
> sure folks can jazz up recipes; why didn't you add a big fat dollop of caviar.
> And another thing, a real chef NEVER accompanies seafood with truffle... which
> was the tip off.

I did know from lurking in this newsgroup from time to time (and
occational posting a few years ago) that you were prone to flaming,
but I really didn't expect this...

I really thought I managed to convey my remarks with tounge in cheek.
My world won't crumble if there are some Americans out there who'll
eat veal chops with crab and call them "Oscar".

But, since you seem to enjoy the argument: no serious Swedish
restaurant ever use crab (no less serious Swedish restaurant either,
they'll top the veal with shrimps) -- and I thought we agreed on the
dish being Swedish?

If you had read my post more carefully, you'd noticed that the dish is
from 1897. Even the date it was first officially served is known, 18
september (btw, if the dish had been from 1787, it would probably have
been called filet Gustav, and had three spears of asparagus :-) And
there was no need to jazz the original recipy up, it was jazzy enough
from the start, being made up by the poshest chef of the poshest
restaurant in Stockholm at the time, in honour of a kings 25th year on
the throne.

And no, there were no webpages in 1897. But there are some in 2002
that tell the story. Not as reliable as print perhaps, but a hint that
my opinion is shared by others, and something to back me up until I
find the time to look for a Swedish newspaper from 1897 or whatever
will satisfy your need for verification.

I did get an answer from the restaurant where it was first served,
Operakällaren (a few hours after emailing them -- I must find a way to
afford to go there some time soon...). They confirmed what I wrote in
my previous post, and attached a recipy signed Werner Vögeli, similar
to the one I posted here. His decades as court chef, and about as much
time as chef de cuisine at Operakällaren, has probably given him
plenty of time to peek into the archives of both the royals and the
restaurant. (Is a Bocuse d'Or judge chef enough for you? He combines
seafood with truffles, quelle horreur!)

Malin
(Thanks for the support Brian! (however, I'm a "she", not "he" :-)

Rory

Apr 5, 2002, 3:43:30 PM4/5/02
mali...@algonet.se (Malin Eriksson) wrote in part...

> I did get an answer from the restaurant where it was first served,
> Operakällaren (a few hours after emailing them -- I must find a way to
> afford to go there some time soon...). They confirmed what I wrote in
> my previous post, and attached a recipy signed Werner Vögeli, similar
> to the one I posted here. His decades as court chef, and about as much
> time as chef de cuisine at Operakällaren, has probably given him
> plenty of time to peek into the archives of both the royals and the
> restaurant. (Is a Bocuse d'Or judge chef enough for you? He combines
> seafood with truffles, quelle horreur!)

Thanks very much for your interesting posts. If it isn't too much
trouble, would you consider posting Mr. Vogeli's recipe, or indicate
where it differs from the one that you posted earlier?

Do you know what the status of Veal Oscar is in modern Sweden? Is it
still served in good restaurants or has it slipped into
unfashionability?

I might mention that the fact that Veal Oscar combines seafood and
truffles is neither unique nor unorthodox. Scallops with truffles is
a classic dish. I have no idea where the previous poster got the idea
that "a real chef NEVER accompanies seafood with truffles".

However, I have a pretty good idea where he got the assertion that
Veal Oscar is made with crab and certainly not with lobster. There's
a particular food dictionary to which he ascribes infallibility. This
document is readily available at www.epicurious.com under the heading
"food dictionary", but the poster works on the premise that the rest
of us are incapable of looking up words ourselves. Unfortunately, a
good percentage of the time the dictionary either oversimplifies or is
wrong and a good percentage of the time the poster misunderstands what
he reads in it.