FOOD NETWORK

<RJ>

Sep 13, 2009, 3:35:33 PM9/13/09

I think I'm "Food Networked" out !
It seems every time I tune in, it;s;

a. some variety of " Barbecue" ( the Southern Connection )
b. pasta, garlic, evoo, prosciutto... ( The italian net )
c.. the "ingredients I'll never find" shows
d. the "I want to spend 6 hours making lunch" shows
e. fhe "food ingredients I can't afford" shows.

Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?
I've found a few "5 ingredient from your pantry" shows....
but generally there are damn few FoodNet recipes I've used.?

???

Michael O'Connor

Sep 13, 2009, 3:50:09 PM9/13/09
On Sep 13, 3:35 pm, "<RJ>" <baran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I'm "Food Networked" out !
> It seems every time I tune in, it;s;
>
> a.  some variety of " Barbecue" ( the Southern Connection )
> b.  pasta, garlic, evoo, prosciutto... ( The italian net )
> c..  the "ingredients I'll never find"  shows
> d.  the  "I want to spend 6 hours making lunch" shows
> e.   fhe "food ingredients I can't afford" shows.

Don't forget the Ultimate Cake Competitions. And Drive In's Diners
and Dives, which isn't about cooking but is rather an infomercial for
restaurants around the country. And Paula Deen cannot make anything
without putting an entire stick of butter in it. The best thing the
Food Network has now is Alton Brown, who is entertaining and
informative.

Kris

Sep 13, 2009, 4:47:58 PM9/13/09

Yes!! Those cake shows drive me a wall. Plus they're always DISNEY
cakes to boot.

I just like shows where they actually cook, like Barefoot Contessa,
Everyday Italian (apologies to the OP), and sometimes Emeril.

Alton Brown is fun, too. Plus kinda cute. :)

Kris

Christine Dabney

Sep 13, 2009, 5:00:50 PM9/13/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:47:58 -0700 (PDT), Kris <shan...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I just like shows where they actually cook, like Barefoot Contessa,
>Everyday Italian (apologies to the OP), and sometimes Emeril.
>
>Alton Brown is fun, too. Plus kinda cute. :)
>
>Kris

I just watched the Brian Boitano show today, and it was actually
pretty good. I got some good ideas from it...and his food really
looks good. I think it is filmed at his house in the SFBA....

Christine, who is watching a lot more food TV these days...
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Nancy Young

Sep 13, 2009, 5:38:59 PM9/13/09
Christine Dabney wrote:

> I just watched the Brian Boitano show today, and it was actually
> pretty good. I got some good ideas from it...and his food really
> looks good. I think it is filmed at his house in the SFBA....
>
> Christine, who is watching a lot more food TV these days...

I like that show, and he cracks me up. I like his food.

nancy

Nancy Young

Sep 13, 2009, 5:38:22 PM9/13/09
Christine Dabney wrote:

> I just watched the Brian Boitano show today, and it was actually
> pretty good. I got some good ideas from it...and his food really
> looks good. I think it is filmed at his house in the SFBA....
>
> Christine, who is watching a lot more food TV these days...

I like that show, and he cracks me up. I like his food.

nancy

Paul M. Cook

Sep 13, 2009, 6:02:09 PM9/13/09

"Kris" <shan...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

On Sep 13, 3:50 pm, "Michael O'Connor" <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 3:35 pm, "<RJ>" <baran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think I'm "Food Networked" out !
> > It seems every time I tune in, it;s;
>
> > a. some variety of " Barbecue" ( the Southern Connection )
> > b. pasta, garlic, evoo, prosciutto... ( The italian net )
> > c.. the "ingredients I'll never find" shows
> > d. the "I want to spend 6 hours making lunch" shows
> > e. fhe "food ingredients I can't afford" shows.
>
> Don't forget the Ultimate Cake Competitions. And Drive In's Diners
> and Dives, which isn't about cooking but is rather an infomercial for
> restaurants around the country. And Paula Deen cannot make anything
> without putting an entire stick of butter in it. The best thing the
> Food Network has now is Alton Brown, who is entertaining and
> informative.

>>Yes!! Those cake shows drive me a wall. Plus they're always DISNEY
>>cakes to boot.

Ace of Cakes is crap. Like I care about the dramatic world of the cake
maker and the massive egos of those tattooed and pierced to hell vampire
wannabe decorators. And who wants a cake with an inch thick layer of
fondant on it? The cakes themselves do not look like they taste all that
great. I wouldn't want anyone who looks like they just got out of prison
catering an affair of mine.

>>I just like shows where they actually cook, like Barefoot Contessa,
>>Everyday Italian (apologies to the OP), and sometimes Emeril.

Fewer of those all the time. But ever more Rachel Ray.

>>Alton Brown is fun, too. Plus kinda cute. :)

He rocks.

Paul

Gloria P

Sep 13, 2009, 6:13:53 PM9/13/09

What's "American" cooking? I daresay you'd get a different answer from
every poster on rfc.

To me, Food Network isn't so much a cookbook as it is an inspiration to
remind us of foods, spices, and combinations we've forgotten or never
heard of.

gloria p

Michel Boucher

Sep 13, 2009, 6:51:20 PM9/13/09
"<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?

I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest

Dave Smith

Sep 13, 2009, 6:53:58 PM9/13/09

Food Network Canada isn't much better. I am not interested in tours of
candy and junk food factories or diners. The best thing FN Canada has
now is Laura Calders' French Cooking at Home. I think it is time to
drop FN from my satellite subscription.

Bob Muncie

Sep 13, 2009, 7:18:18 PM9/13/09
Michel Boucher wrote:
> "<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?
>
> I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.

Possibly you are not an American, and biased?

Gloria P

Sep 13, 2009, 7:27:25 PM9/13/09

There's nothing biased about cooking your own ethnicity's
food, is there?

gloria p

Kalmia

Sep 13, 2009, 7:42:57 PM9/13/09
Alton is the only show I enjoy. I garner more good tips from him
than all the others put together.

modom (palindrome guy)

Sep 13, 2009, 8:05:21 PM9/13/09

FTV pretty much jumped the shark a few years back. I still watch it
for some of the competing pro shows like Iron Chef and Chopped. Of
course they're not very believable, but still they can entertain a
bored guy living in Cow Hill, TX, on occasion.

As to American cooking. I'm Amarican (so far -- we'll see what the
loonies in Texas do going forward) and I cook Barbecue and pasta and
stuff. Hell I even cured my own prosciutto last year.
--

modom

Bob Muncie

Sep 13, 2009, 8:41:00 PM9/13/09

I would consider anyone looking in only one direction as biased.

Bob

Bob Muncie

Sep 13, 2009, 8:43:16 PM9/13/09
Kalmia wrote:
> Alton is the only show I enjoy. I garner more good tips from him
> than all the others put together.

I agree with your sentiment Kalmia. If I am channel surfing due to being
bored, and Alton's show is own, I usually stop there. Never know where
you might learn something, and I often do when I'm there.

Bob

<RJ>

Sep 13, 2009, 10:34:04 PM9/13/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:51:20 -0500, Michel Boucher
<alsa...@g.mail.com> wrote:

>"<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?
>
>I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.

What's wrong with meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and carrots ?

Actually, saw a segment were they made a meatloaf
in a crockpot..... No oven, no heating the kitchen.
Put it on in the morning... done at suppertime.
( that tip might be a keeper )

sf

Sep 13, 2009, 11:11:01 PM9/13/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:50:09 -0700 (PDT), "Michael O'Connor"
<mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:

>The best thing the
>Food Network has now is Alton Brown, who is entertaining and
>informative.

I don't use any of his recipes, tips or techniques. I guess I can
only say he's not too annoying.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

sf

Sep 13, 2009, 11:14:09 PM9/13/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:00:50 -0600, Christine Dabney
<arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I just watched the Brian Boitano show today, and it was actually
>pretty good.

Oh, shoot! I forgot to set my dvr to record him today. I saw him and
that Melissa who won the food network star competition. She's boring,
he's not.

projectile vomit chick

Sep 14, 2009, 12:24:32 AM9/14/09
On Sep 13, 2:35 pm, "<RJ>" <baran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I'm "Food Networked" out !
> It seems every time I tune in, it;s;
>
> a.  some variety of " Barbecue" ( the Southern Connection )
> b.  pasta, garlic, evoo, prosciutto... ( The italian net )
> c..  the "ingredients I'll never find"  shows
> d.  the  "I want to spend 6 hours making lunch" shows
> e.   fhe "food ingredients I can't afford" shows.

Every time I pass it on the dial, they have on "Diners Drive-Ins and
Dives", which is pretty much Guy Fieri standing around moaning and
salivating about gravy and deep fried crap. Either that or Alton
Brown, he's interesting sometimes but other times he just annoys the
living piss out of me.

> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?
> I've found a few "5 ingredient from your pantry" shows....
> but generally there are damn few FoodNet recipes I've used.?
>
> ???

It's just bullshit to fill up 24 hours. Kinda like CNN. LOL

projectile vomit chick

Sep 14, 2009, 12:25:59 AM9/14/09

Paula Deen can't do anything but stand around and whine through her
nose and display her wedding ring. And those sons of hers, ick.

I miss Julia Child and the Galloping Gourmet, now that was
entertainment!

sf

Sep 14, 2009, 12:31:59 AM9/14/09

Why am I seeing doubles of your posts a *lot* lately?

Omelet

Sep 14, 2009, 1:05:58 AM9/14/09
In article
<02d9592e-504b-4644...@z24g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,

projectile vomit chick <projectile...@netzero.com> wrote:

> I miss Julia Child and the Galloping Gourmet, now that was
> entertainment!

Agreed. I also liked The Frugal Gourmet and have some of his cook books.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 14, 2009, 5:56:11 AM9/14/09

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:50:09 -0700 (PDT), "Michael O'Connor"
> <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>The best thing the
>>Food Network has now is Alton Brown, who is entertaining and
>>informative.
>
> I don't use any of his recipes, tips or techniques. I guess I can
> only say he's not too annoying.

I finally tried his pancakes last week. Very good, light, fluffy, tasty.

Michel Boucher

Sep 14, 2009, 8:33:33 AM9/14/09
"<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?
>>
>>I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.
>
> What's wrong with meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and carrots ?

That's "American"??? Coulda fooled moi (except for the gravy part).

biig

Sep 14, 2009, 8:43:28 AM9/14/09

"<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:51:20 -0500, Michel Boucher
> <alsa...@g.mail.com> wrote:
>
>>"<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?
>>
>>I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.
>
> What's wrong with meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and carrots ?

Not a thing!! in fact that's what we had a couple of days ago with the
leftovers the next night. I like to try new recipes but then I go back to
our old favourites....Sharon in Canada

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 14, 2009, 9:04:30 AM9/14/09
On Sep 13, 3:35 pm, "<RJ>" <baran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I'm "Food Networked" out !
> It seems every time I tune in, it;s;
>
> a.  some variety of " Barbecue" ( the Southern Connection )
> b.  pasta, garlic, evoo, prosciutto... ( The italian net )

Nothing wrong with any of those ingredients, although I don't
use prosciutto very often. I use garlic and/or EVOO almost
every day.

> c..  the "ingredients I'll never find"  shows

Have you looked? Where do you live?

> d.  the  "I want to spend 6 hours making lunch" shows
> e.   fhe "food ingredients I can't afford" shows.

Apart from Iron Chef and the shows that are travelogues
rather than cooking programs, I've seen very little use of expensive
ingredients. What do you consider expensive?

> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?

> I've found a few "5 ingredient from your pantry" shows....
> but generally there are damn few FoodNet recipes I've used.?

Do you really need to look at Food Network to learn to cook
"American"? Surely you already know how to do that.

I think you're just whining. It's not becoming.

Cindy Hamilton

ffu

Sep 14, 2009, 9:17:08 AM9/14/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 07:33:33 -0500, Michel Boucher <alsa...@g.mail.com>
wrote:

-->"<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in
-->news:98ara5pl41aphkjks...@4ax.com:
-->
-->>>> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?
-->>>
-->>>I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.
-->>
-->> What's wrong with meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and carrots ?
-->
-->That's "American"??? Coulda fooled moi (except for the gravy part).

Nothing wrong with meatloaf, ask any Joe on the street

brooklyn1

Sep 14, 2009, 10:26:01 AM9/14/09
Michel Boucher wrote:

>>"<RJ>" wrote:
>>
>>> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?
>>>
>>>I never cook "American".

I bet you do, every day... if all the new world (Americas) foods were
eliminated eating would be very boring.

notbob

Sep 14, 2009, 10:36:51 AM9/14/09

No currently having tv, I was unaware the show existed. So, I looked
it up on the web. Fortunately, I found FNH, which is pretty
funny. Definitely more entertaining than the actual FN itself, but
then you'd hafta watch FN to get the humor of FNH, a real plus/minus
situation.

http://foodnetworkhumor.com/2009/08/fnh-review-what-would-brian-boitano-make/

BTW, Brian IS gay? Apparently, not even nndb.com knows for sure.
I'll send an email to Kathy Griffin to get right on it. ;)

nb

jmcquown

Sep 14, 2009, 11:05:31 AM9/14/09
"brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Amazing how people forget the foods of of the Americas lent so many things
to to Europe. Europe didn't have tomatoes, they didn't grow corn. They
didn't have a lot of things until the explorers of the "new world" brought
them back to Europe. It was also reciprocal. Pasta didn't orignate in
Italy, it came from China in the days of Marco Polo. And American
politicians such as Thomas Jefferson brought such things back to North
America.

What is "American"? Fast food? Not hardly. The United States is a melting
pot of many cuisines.

Jill

Michel Boucher

Sep 14, 2009, 11:18:29 AM9/14/09
"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in news:7h74duF2rqjbiU1
@mid.individual.net:

> What is "American"? Fast food?

I don't think that is what was meant by "cooking American". The person was
objecting to what was to him/her/it unfamiliar cuisine, so objecting to the
variety brought on by choice, and extolling the virtues of this person's
choice of comfort foods, which is fine except for obscuring the issue by
making it about one's least likely accident of birth.

So, "American" was most likely a stand-in, in his/her/its mind, for "what
*I* like", which is of course idiotic as it not exclusive to "American" and
could easily be replaced by "Russian", "Ubangi", "Frisian" and
"Nicaraguayan", to name but a few "me me me" terms.

The fact that the poster did NOT specify what he/she/it meant implies that
he/she/it assumes *everyone* knows what he/she/it means by that, and I
suspect that, thin skins aside, it would not be understood in the same way
inside, let alone outside, of deepest darkest USAia.

Nancy Young

Sep 14, 2009, 11:28:16 AM9/14/09
notbob wrote:

> BTW, Brian IS gay? Apparently, not even nndb.com knows for sure.
> I'll send an email to Kathy Griffin to get right on it. ;)

He makes little jokes about it all the time, he's gay.

nancy

blake murphy

Sep 14, 2009, 11:36:55 AM9/14/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:51:20 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> "<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?
>
> I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.

fucking communist.

your pal,
blake

Michel Boucher

Sep 14, 2009, 11:46:36 AM9/14/09
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in

>> I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.
>
> fucking communist.

Quite correct again, and I welcome the opportunity to do a pied-de-nez to
the lumpenbourgeoisie milling around the edges of the Glen Beck.

notbob

Sep 14, 2009, 11:52:27 AM9/14/09
On 2009-09-14, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> them back to Europe. It was also reciprocal. Pasta didn't orignate in
> Italy, it came from China in the days of Marco Polo.

Actually, true pasta DID originate in Italy and that whole Marco Polo
thing is a myth. Lotsa websites address it. Here's one:

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/marco-polo-pasta1.htm

nb

Nancy2

Sep 14, 2009, 11:56:06 AM9/14/09
On Sep 13, 3:47 pm, Kris <shanno...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 13, 3:50 pm, "Michael O'Connor" <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 13, 3:35 pm, "<RJ>" <baran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I think I'm "Food Networked" out !
> > > It seems every time I tune in, it;s;
>
> > > a.  some variety of " Barbecue" ( the Southern Connection )
> > > b.  pasta, garlic, evoo, prosciutto... ( The italian net )
> > > c..  the "ingredients I'll never find"  shows
> > > d.  the  "I want to spend 6 hours making lunch" shows
> > > e.   fhe "food ingredients I can't afford" shows.
>
> > Don't forget the Ultimate Cake Competitions.  And Drive In's Diners
> > and Dives, which isn't about cooking but is rather an infomercial for
> > restaurants around the country.  And Paula Deen cannot make anything
> > without putting an entire stick of butter in it.  The best thing the

> > Food Network has now is Alton Brown, who is entertaining and
> > informative.
>
> Yes!! Those cake shows drive me a wall. Plus they're always DISNEY
> cakes to boot.
>
> I just like shows where they actually cook, like Barefoot Contessa,
> Everyday Italian (apologies to the OP), and sometimes Emeril.
>
> Alton Brown is fun, too. Plus kinda cute. :)
>
> Kris- Hide quoted text -

He drives me nuts with all the pseudo-goofiness and side show crap.
He's entertaining enough without it. Watch him on ICA, and he's
great.

N.

notbob

Sep 14, 2009, 11:59:29 AM9/14/09
On 2009-09-14, Nancy Young <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> He makes little jokes about it all the time, he's gay.

As I said, I currently do not have tv, so have not heard his "little
jokes". Judging by the pics on that FNH page, I'd say it would be the
acme of folly to assume otherwise.

nb

Nancy2

Sep 14, 2009, 12:00:06 PM9/14/09
On Sep 13, 3:47 pm, Kris <shanno...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 3:50 pm, "Michael O'Connor" <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 13, 3:35 pm, "<RJ>" <baran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I think I'm "Food Networked" out !
> > > It seems every time I tune in, it;s;
>
> > > a.  some variety of " Barbecue" ( the Southern Connection )
> > > b.  pasta, garlic, evoo, prosciutto... ( The italian net )
> > > c..  the "ingredients I'll never find"  shows
> > > d.  the  "I want to spend 6 hours making lunch" shows
> > > e.   fhe "food ingredients I can't afford" shows.
>
> > Don't forget the Ultimate Cake Competitions.  And Drive In's Diners
> > and Dives, which isn't about cooking but is rather an infomercial for
> > restaurants around the country.  And Paula Deen cannot make anything
> > without putting an entire stick of butter in it.  The best thing the
> > Food Network has now is Alton Brown, who is entertaining and
> > informative.
>
> Yes!! Those cake shows drive me a wall. Plus they're always DISNEY
> cakes to boot.
>
> I just like shows where they actually cook, like Barefoot Contessa,
> Everyday Italian (apologies to the OP), and sometimes Emeril.
>
> Alton Brown is fun, too. Plus kinda cute. :)
>
> Kris- Hide quoted text -

LOL. Those cake shows only have a Disney theme about once a year.
The one they repeated yesterday was the "find a family celebrating
something in the park, and make them a suitable cake." The park may
have been Disney, but none of the cakes were.

The new Challenge was this year's big pie contest - and I was glad
that Valarie only won in one category, because she puts down all the
other competitors' efforts. For instance, she said Orange Meringue
Pie was "just so wrong," and it is really amazingly good. Why
wouldn't it be? She was just nasty.

Amazing Wedding Cakes on the WE network, Ace of Cakes (FTV) and The
Cake Boss (TLC) are all highly entertaining. There's a new entry on
TLC (they have to copy everyone, I guess) called "Cake Off" or
something like that which is really ridiculous with the height
requirements.

N.

blake murphy

Sep 14, 2009, 1:26:30 PM9/14/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:27:25 -0600, Gloria P wrote:

> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Michel Boucher wrote:
>>> "<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.
>>>

>> Possibly you are not an American, and biased?
>
> There's nothing biased about cooking your own ethnicity's
> food, is there?
>
> gloria p

i don't think i'm ready for '1001 white bread recipes.'

your pal,
blake

Message has been deleted

Andy

Sep 14, 2009, 2:15:27 PM9/14/09
I feel so... "imported!"

Andy

jmcquown

Sep 14, 2009, 5:36:26 PM9/14/09
"l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message

> On 14-Sep-2009, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> What is "American"? Fast food? Not hardly. The United States is a
>> melting
>> pot of many cuisines.
>>
>> Jill
>
> I think of the collard greens I prepared yesterday are American. But,
> regardless of origin, they are mighty good.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Awesome Collard Greens
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:10
> Categories :

> 1 lb collard greens -- (or 1/2 collards 1/2 kale)
> 1 medium onion -- chopped
> 1 3/4 cups canned tomatoes -- 1 15 oz can, chopped
> 2 cloves garlic -- chopped (2 to 4)
> 1 1/2 cups water
> 1/2 cup cider vinegar
> salt -- to taste
> red pepper flakes -- to taste
>
> Wash greens in a colander.
>
> Chop into bite-sized pieces.
>
> Throw all ingredients into a large pot and cover.
>
> Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, the reduce heat and simmer.
>
> Greens are done when they have shrunk down and are cooked through, usually
> about a half hour, but you can let it simmer much longer.
>
> Serve with its liquid.

That liquid is called pot likker ;) I think collard greens are "north
American". But did the idea for this dish originate with other greens from
other countries? Who knows. Doesn't matter; collard greens (and turnip
greens) are very tasty!

Jill

Gloria P

Sep 14, 2009, 5:39:48 PM9/14/09
notbob wrote:

> Judging by the pics on that FNH page, I'd say it would be the

> acne of folly to assume otherwise.

Can't they cure that with topical tetracycline these days?

;-)
gloria p

Un-Yawn

Sep 14, 2009, 7:16:22 PM9/14/09

"Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:Xns9C86908...@216.196.97.131...
>I feel so... "impotent!"
>
> Andy

You said it. LOL

sf

Sep 15, 2009, 2:50:31 AM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 05:56:11 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net>
wrote:

I turned him off tonight. He annoys me.

sf

Sep 15, 2009, 2:52:16 AM9/15/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:25:59 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
<projectile...@netzero.com> wrote:

>I miss Julia Child and the Galloping Gourmet, now that was
>entertainment!

We now have Brian Boitano for entertainment now. He makes me laugh
out loud - and his recipes seem worth trying too.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 15, 2009, 7:42:02 AM9/15/09

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:25:59 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> <projectile...@netzero.com> wrote:
>
>>I miss Julia Child and the Galloping Gourmet, now that was
>>entertainment!
>
> We now have Brian Boitano for entertainment now. He makes me laugh
> out loud - and his recipes seem worth trying too.

I turned him off. He annoys me.

brooklyn1

Sep 15, 2009, 11:12:31 AM9/15/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 07:42:02 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net>
wrote:

When first moving here to the boonies six years ago there was no
foodtv but two years ago the local cable began carrying it. I tried
watching a few times but got disgusted, there isn't one show with any
redeeming value whatsoever. At least previously even if there wasn't
much to learn the shows were entertaining, now they're all know
nothing megalomaniacs... I haven't tuned in for over a year.

sf

Sep 15, 2009, 11:22:02 AM9/15/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 07:42:02 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net>
wrote:

LOL

blake murphy

Sep 15, 2009, 1:55:23 PM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:46:36 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in
>
>>> I never cook "American". There is a reason for that.
>>
>> fucking communist.
>
> Quite correct again, and I welcome the opportunity to do a pied-de-nez to
> the lumpenbourgeoisie milling around the edges of the Glen Beck.

well, you're a better man than i - i would either suffer from a failure of
nerve or start laughing at the wrong moment.

(oops, i thought 'pied-de-nez" meant fucking. never mind.)

your pal,
blake

Michel Boucher

Sep 15, 2009, 3:22:43 PM9/15/09

> (oops, i thought 'pied-de-nez" meant fucking. never mind.)

That may be how Beck fucks, for all we know, assuming any woman (or man)
would be so inebriated as to allow him within a kilometre of them.

blake murphy

Sep 16, 2009, 1:01:55 PM9/16/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:22:43 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in
>
>> (oops, i thought 'pied-de-nez" meant fucking. never mind.)
>
> That may be how Beck fucks, for all we know, assuming any woman (or man)
> would be so inebriated as to allow him within a kilometre of them.

shee-it. i bet beck has more fat groupies than he could possibly deal
with. take a look at any teabag party video.

your pal,
blake

Michel Boucher

Sep 16, 2009, 2:10:28 PM9/16/09
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in news:pseo8bezf79w
$.1m4vq9lkhir8j$.d...@40tude.net:

> take a look at any teabag party video.

Not a chance. I wouldn't waste an iota of my life watching them destroy
modern civilization.

blake murphy

Sep 17, 2009, 2:05:12 PM9/17/09
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:10:28 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in news:pseo8bezf79w
> $.1m4vq9lkhir8j$.d...@40tude.net:
>
>> take a look at any teabag party video.
>
> Not a chance. I wouldn't waste an iota of my life watching them destroy
> modern civilization.

they're pretty funny, depending on your taste for black humor.

your pal,
blake

Gregory Morrow

Sep 17, 2009, 5:16:56 PM9/17/09
blake murphy wrote:

As funny as Flip Wilson doing his "Geraldine" schtick, blake...???

--
Best
Greg

Bob Terwilliger

Sep 18, 2009, 1:57:28 AM9/18/09
blake wrote:

> i bet beck has more fat groupies than he could possibly deal
> with. take a look at any teabag party video.

Exactly what do you mean by "teabag party" there, blake? I can think of two
VERY different meanings, though I wouldn't want to watch a video of either
one.

Bob

Michel Boucher

Sep 18, 2009, 10:05:01 AM9/18/09
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in

The subject was 9/12 (Glenn Beck's paranoid opus) and those who have Tea
Bag parties to protest something or other. Apparently the gormless have a
network strictly for the gormless in the US and the two "movements" have
found each other.

blake murphy

Sep 18, 2009, 2:21:39 PM9/18/09

the teabag partiers (tax and President Negro protesters) chose the teabag
nomenclature, presumably unaware of the urban dictionary definition.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Sep 18, 2009, 2:23:52 PM9/18/09
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:05:01 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in
>
>> blake wrote:
>>
>>> i bet beck has more fat groupies than he could possibly deal
>>> with. take a look at any teabag party video.
>>
>> Exactly what do you mean by "teabag party" there, blake? I can think
>> of two VERY different meanings, though I wouldn't want to watch a
>> video of either one.
>
> The subject was 9/12 (Glenn Beck's paranoid opus) and those who have Tea
> Bag parties to protest something or other. Apparently the gormless have a
> network strictly for the gormless in the US and the two "movements" have
> found each other.

it's pretty whacked out that the 'fair and balanced' fox news network
worked tirelessly to promote the damn thing. not partisan there at all, no
sir.

your pal,
blake

Robert Klute

Sep 18, 2009, 3:29:45 PM9/18/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:35:33 -0700, "<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think I'm "Food Networked" out !
>It seems every time I tune in, it;s;
>
>a. some variety of " Barbecue" ( the Southern Connection )
>b. pasta, garlic, evoo, prosciutto... ( The italian net )
>c.. the "ingredients I'll never find" shows
>d. the "I want to spend 6 hours making lunch" shows
>e. fhe "food ingredients I can't afford" shows.
>

>Doesn't anyone cook "American" any more ?

>I've found a few "5 ingredient from your pantry" shows....
>but generally there are damn few FoodNet recipes I've used.?

Best thing Food Network could do to improve their programming would be
to start rebroadcasting every PBS cooking show ever produced.

A sampling of which is:

The French Chef
Julia Child & Company
Dinner at Julia's
Cooking with Master Chefs
In Julia's Kitchen with Master Chefs
Baking With Julia
Julia Child & Jacques P�pin Cooking at Home
The Complete P�pin
Cooking Mexican
MEXICO � One Plate at a Time
Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
Lidia's Family Table
Lidia's Italy
Chef Paul Prudhomme's Fiery Foods
The Frugal Gourmet
Great Chefs
Lousiana Cookin'

Then throw in all their old Mario Batali cooking shows and Alton Brown's
Good Eats.

Default User

Sep 18, 2009, 5:20:42 PM9/18/09
Robert Klute wrote:

> Best thing Food Network could do to improve their programming would be
> to start rebroadcasting every PBS cooking show ever produced.

Which would cause their ratings to drop, leading to the programmers
being fired and new ones hired in their place. Then those programs
would be canceled and a return made to the type they had before.

Seriously. Do you think they avoid stand-up cooking shows just to mess
with you? If they could get the ratings, they'd have nothing else, as
that's about as cheap of programming as there is.

Brian

--
Day 228 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Robert Klute

Sep 18, 2009, 6:39:37 PM9/18/09
On 18 Sep 2009 21:20:42 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

You mean there are people who actually watch the current programming? I
mean other than to admire Rachael's and Giada's fine choice of sweaters.

brooklyn1

Sep 18, 2009, 6:51:01 PM9/18/09
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:21:39 -0400, blake murphy
<blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

>the teabag partiers (tax and President Negro protesters) chose the teabag
>nomenclature, presumably unaware of the urban dictionary definition.

Didja ever look carefully... an acorn is a nut sporting an afro.
http://thelastcrusade.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/barack-obama-acorn-vote-early-and-often.gif

Sep 18, 2009, 7:14:52 PM9/18/09
Robert Klute wrote:

They do indeed. Ratings for the channel have been steadily increasing,
plus they've been pulling in younger (and more desirable) demographics.

Bob Terwilliger

Sep 18, 2009, 9:36:26 PM9/18/09
Robert Klute wrote:

> Best thing Food Network could do to improve their programming would be
> to start rebroadcasting every PBS cooking show ever produced.
>
> A sampling of which is:
>
> The French Chef
> Julia Child & Company
> Dinner at Julia's
> Cooking with Master Chefs
> In Julia's Kitchen with Master Chefs
> Baking With Julia
> Julia Child & Jacques P�pin Cooking at Home
> The Complete P�pin
> Cooking Mexican

> MEXICO - One Plate at a Time

> Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
> Lidia's Family Table
> Lidia's Italy
> Chef Paul Prudhomme's Fiery Foods
> The Frugal Gourmet
> Great Chefs
> Lousiana Cookin'
>
> Then throw in all their old Mario Batali cooking shows and Alton Brown's
> Good Eats.

While I think Rick Bayless is an amazing chef, I'm not crazy about his TV
shows. I've been watching them for the last month or so, and nothing he did
has grabbed me.

Also, I just can't seem to warm up to Lidia Bastianich. Same thing as
Bayless; she's a fantastic chef, but in all her shows I haven't seen her
make anything I didn't already know how to make. By contrast, I *frequently*
learn new things from watching Mario Batali, though sometimes he says things
with which I take issue. (Such as, "The ancient Romans didn't have pasta;
they didn't have fields of wheat. Instead they had polenta made from acres
and acres of corn.")

Some PBS shows you *didn't* mention that I like are the two from Christopher
Kimball, "America's Test Kitchen" and "Cook's Country." It's not Kimball
himself that I like, it's the methodical approach in attempting to perfect
the dish being examined. I also like their product comparisons, and I've
saved lots of money over the years by being warned away from products I
might otherwise have bought.

I have a very difficult time understanding Jacques P�pin's accent, so
although he might be imparting the wisdom of the ages, it's mostly lost on
me. But for some reason I *can* understand Hubert Keller, and his "Secrets
of a Chef" is another PBS show I like. Lin made his recipe for
vertically-roasted chicken about a month ago, and it was wonderful. Speaking
of "Secrets," I like the Food Network show with Anne Burrell, "Secrets of a
Restaurant Chef." In spite of her lapses into what I call a "Cookie Monster"
voice, and in spite of her tendency to oversalt and undercook vegetables,
I've learned some very good recipes from her.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger

Sep 18, 2009, 9:56:09 PM9/18/09
blake wrote:

> it's pretty whacked out that the 'fair and balanced' fox news network
> worked tirelessly to promote the damn thing. not partisan there at all,
> no sir.

I think Fox News pretty much became a laughingstock after winning its "free
speech" lawsuit:

Appellate Court Rules Media Can Legally Lie.
By Mike Gaddy. Published Feb. 28, 2003
On February 14, a Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely nothing
illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major press
organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict in favor of
journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox Television
management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented to be false
information. The ruling basically declares it is technically not against any
law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort the news on a
television broadcast.

On August 18, 2000, a six-person jury was unanimous in its conclusion that
Akre was indeed fired for threatening to report the station's pressure to
broadcast what jurors decided was "a false, distorted, or slanted" story
about the widespread use of growth hormone in dairy cows.

The court did not dispute the heart of Akre's claim, that Fox pressured her
to broadcast a false story to protect the broadcaster from having to defend
the truth in court, as well as suffer the ire of irate advertisers. Fox
argued from the first, and failed on three separate occasions, in front of
three different judges, to have the case tossed out on the grounds there is
no hard, fast, and written rule against deliberate distortion of the news.

The attorneys for Fox, owned by media baron Rupert Murdoch, argued the First
Amendment gives broadcasters the right to lie or deliberately distort news
reports on the public airwaves.

In its six-page written decision, the Court of Appeals held that the Federal
Communications Commission position against news distortion is only a
"policy," not a promulgated law, rule, or regulation. Fox aired a report
after the ruling saying it was "totally vindicated" by the verdict.

Bob

Andy

Sep 18, 2009, 9:56:57 PM9/18/09
Ming Sai, don't recall if he was Food TV in his early days, inspired me to
buy a ceramic knife that I'll always be grateful to him for. No other TV cook
or chef ever inspired me to buy a product while not actually selling one.
Best knife I've ever had.

He was also a cool character, imho!

Andy

blake murphy

Sep 19, 2009, 10:50:32 AM9/19/09
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:56:09 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> blake wrote:
>
>> it's pretty whacked out that the 'fair and balanced' fox news network
>> worked tirelessly to promote the damn thing. not partisan there at all,
>> no sir.
>
> I think Fox News pretty much became a laughingstock after winning its "free
> speech" lawsuit:
>
> Appellate Court Rules Media Can Legally Lie.
> By Mike Gaddy. Published Feb. 28, 2003
> On February 14, a Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely nothing
> illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major press
> organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict in favor of
> journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox Television
> management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented to be false
> information. The ruling basically declares it is technically not against any
> law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort the news on a
> television broadcast.

that was pretty amazing.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Sep 19, 2009, 10:51:50 AM9/19/09

the acorn niggers are comin' to git choo, sheldon! gather up the cats and
flee!!!!

blake

Gregory Morrow

Sep 19, 2009, 11:49:23 AM9/19/09
blake murphy wrote:

Take the Green Line down to SE, blake...and be sure to take yer 12 -
gauge...I hear there's pretty good "coon" huntin' down that - a - ways...ya
don't even have to aim, just shoot...!!!

;-P

--
Best
Greg

sf

Sep 19, 2009, 1:58:03 PM9/19/09

Not that amazing considering where it happened.

Dan Abel

Sep 19, 2009, 5:24:03 PM9/19/09
In article <6zoxn2ebf05g.c...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

Another good reason not to watch tv news. Not only are they not
accountable for presenting bad information due to negligence, now we are
being told that they can present bad information even when they *know*
it is a lie.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Dan Abel

Sep 19, 2009, 5:26:00 PM9/19/09
In article <ap6ab5l7i4eoa21p3...@4ax.com>,
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

Are you referring to Florida, Fox or the US?

sf

Sep 19, 2009, 7:48:45 PM9/19/09
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:26:00 -0700, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

>Are you referring to Florida, Fox or the US?

Not talking about the US. Only Florida and Fox, which were mentioned
specifically. Fox isn't a "where" it is a "who/what". Fox being let
off the hook in Florida isn't a surprise. Disappointing, yes.
Surprising, no.

sf

Sep 19, 2009, 7:51:31 PM9/19/09
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:24:03 -0700, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

>Another good reason not to watch tv news. Not only are they not
>accountable for presenting bad information due to negligence, now we are
>being told that they can present bad information even when they *know*
>it is a lie.

Are we going to sit here and pretend we didn't know Fox doesn't slant
"the truth" (IOW: lie) all the time? Fair and Balanced... oh yeah,
suuure.

Terry Pulliam Burd

Sep 20, 2009, 12:26:40 AM9/20/09
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:48:45 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> fired up
random neurons and synapses to opine:

>On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:26:00 -0700, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>Are you referring to Florida, Fox or the US?
>
>Not talking about the US. Only Florida and Fox, which were mentioned
>specifically. Fox isn't a "where" it is a "who/what". Fox being let
>off the hook in Florida isn't a surprise. Disappointing, yes.
>Surprising, no.

I need to wander over to Findlaw.com to see what a state court is
doing hearing a federal constitutional question.

OB: The cafeteria at LA Superior Court has to have the most gawdawful
food in town. If they tried to serve that cr*p in prison, there'd be
inmate lawsuits raining down on the prison system. Pity the jurors -
there's only one restaurant within easy reach and it's $$$.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Gloria P

Sep 20, 2009, 3:20:56 PM9/20/09
Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> OB: The cafeteria at LA Superior Court has to have the most gawdawful
> food in town. If they tried to serve that cr*p in prison, there'd be
> inmate lawsuits raining down on the prison system. Pity the jurors -
> there's only one restaurant within easy reach and it's $$$.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Can they order out from anywhere nearby? Maybe someone should make
takeout menus available to the jurors.

gloria p

blake murphy

Sep 20, 2009, 10:41:53 PM9/20/09

i found two things about it amazing: that fox would have the balls to
raise the argument and the florida appeals court would go along with it.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Sep 20, 2009, 10:44:44 PM9/20/09
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 21:26:40 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:48:45 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> fired up
> random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:26:00 -0700, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Are you referring to Florida, Fox or the US?
>>
>>Not talking about the US. Only Florida and Fox, which were mentioned
>>specifically. Fox isn't a "where" it is a "who/what". Fox being let
>>off the hook in Florida isn't a surprise. Disappointing, yes.
>>Surprising, no.
>
> I need to wander over to Findlaw.com to see what a state court is
> doing hearing a federal constitutional question.
>
> OB: The cafeteria at LA Superior Court has to have the most gawdawful
> food in town. If they tried to serve that cr*p in prison, there'd be
> inmate lawsuits raining down on the prison system. Pity the jurors -
> there's only one restaurant within easy reach and it's $$$.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

how odd. the neighborhood around the courthouse in d.c. seems to be evenly
split between places to eat and lawyers' offices.

your pal,
blake

sf

Sep 21, 2009, 8:29:40 AM9/21/09

Here in San Francisco, it all depends on which courthouse you're
assigned to. If you're in Civic Center, you're fine. If you're on
Bryant (same building as the jail) there're a McDonald's on the
corner, other than that you're SOL.

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Sep 21, 2009, 3:42:06 PM9/21/09

*Pish* you just get your driver to run you over to the Carnelian room
before it closes:)

I swear, i almost called somebody a patented sheldonianism, i almost
called them a "LIAR!" when they told me the name of the big stone
abstract sculpture at the Bank of America building was titled "The
Banker's Heart" .... then as i was taking some guests to the Carnelian
room i looked ...... imagine my surprise! A Heart of Stone! "The
Banker's Heart."

Course i had to go to the University campus in Berkeley on several
occasions just cause i had convinced my self my memory of the memorial
to the 1960's "Free Speech Movement" was a hole in the ground with hot
air coming out of it. Very clear and vidivd memory of looking at it but
my rational mind insisted on considering that some sort of grievous and
exiguous 'false memory' it just couldn't be!

Course then i went and checked so many times i now have to sadly live
with the fact of the Berkeley memorial to the Free Speech Movement is a
hole in the ground with hot air coming out of it.
http://greenmuseum.org/content/work_index/img_id-424__prev_size-0__artist_id-51__work_id-99.html
Although, due to "budget" considerations its just a hole in the ground
and successfully plugged so that nothing, not even hot air is any
longer coming out of it. Really more like a stagnant pool of rain water
or a refuse receptacle. Nothing metaphorical about that as the Artist
plainly states in their description of the object and its "air space"
above it.
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky/files/sf_anthem.mp3

Bob Terwilliger

Sep 22, 2009, 12:48:46 AM9/22/09
Joseph wrote:

> I swear, i almost called somebody a patented sheldonianism, i almost
> called them a "LIAR!" when they told me the name of the big stone abstract
> sculpture at the Bank of America building was titled "The Banker's Heart"

I think Senator Joe Wilson might have acquired the rights to that particular
epithet.

Bob

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Sep 22, 2009, 3:41:54 PM9/22/09

*shrug* he only did it once i know of, "sheldon" does it all the time,
its his liet motif.

Bob Terwilliger

Sep 23, 2009, 4:53:24 AM9/23/09
Joseph wrote:

>>> I swear, i almost called somebody a patented sheldonianism, i almost
>>> called them a "LIAR!" when they told me the name of the big stone
>>> abstract sculpture at the Bank of America building was titled "The
>>> Banker's Heart"
>>
>> I think Senator Joe Wilson might have acquired the rights to that
>> particular epithet.
>>

> *shrug* he only did it once i know of, "sheldon" does it all the time, its
> his liet motif.

JFK only said "Ich bin ein Berliner" once, too, and I'm certain that
countless people said it before and after he did, but that doesn't make the
phrase any less "his."

Bob

Steve Pope

Sep 23, 2009, 5:00:56 AM9/23/09
Bob Terwilliger <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

>JFK only said "Ich bin ein Berliner" once, too, and I'm certain that
>countless people said it before and after he did, but that doesn't make the
>phrase any less "his."

Didnt' Bill Clinton say something like "I am a Kosavar"??

S.

sf

Sep 23, 2009, 8:04:58 AM9/23/09
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:42:06 -0700, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq."
<jpst...@isp.com> wrote:

>I swear, i almost called somebody a patented sheldonianism, i almost
>called them a "LIAR!" when they told me the name of the big stone
>abstract sculpture at the Bank of America building was titled "The
>Banker's Heart" .... then as i was taking some guests to the Carnelian
>room i looked ...... imagine my surprise! A Heart of Stone! "The
>Banker's Heart."

It's been called The Banker's Heart from the git go AFAIC... I don't
remember any other and I remember when the building went up.

sf

Sep 23, 2009, 8:06:05 AM9/23/09

He's a Johnny come lately to the cold heart game.

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Sep 23, 2009, 3:31:49 PM9/23/09

Sheldon is no JFK.

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Sep 23, 2009, 3:35:07 PM9/23/09

*chuckle* he will probly be remembered for his brilliant (insert
ironical smily face here:) "that depends on what your definition of "is"
is."

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Sep 23, 2009, 3:36:30 PM9/23/09

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:42:06 -0700, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq."
> <jpst...@isp.com> wrote:
>

>>I swear, i almost called somebody a patented sheldonianism, i almost
>>called them a "LIAR!" when they told me the name of the big stone
>>abstract sculpture at the Bank of America building was titled "The
>>Banker's Heart" .... then as i was taking some guests to the Carnelian
>>room i looked ...... imagine my surprise! A Heart of Stone! "The
>>Banker's Heart."
>

> It's been called The Banker's Heart from the git go AFAIC... I don't
> remember any other and I remember when the building went up.

I know, now, i just couldn't believe, then, the bank would be so blatant!

Michel Boucher

Sep 23, 2009, 4:03:48 PM9/23/09
"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." <jpst...@isp.com> wrote in

>>>I swear, i almost called somebody a patented sheldonianism, i almost
>>>called them a "LIAR!" when they told me the name of the big stone
>>>abstract sculpture at the Bank of America building was titled "The
>>>Banker's Heart" .... then as i was taking some guests to the Carnelian
>>>room i looked ...... imagine my surprise! A Heart of Stone! "The
>>>Banker's Heart."
>>
>> It's been called The Banker's Heart from the git go AFAIC... I don't
>> remember any other and I remember when the building went up.
>>

> I know, now, i just couldn't believe, then, the bank would be so blatant!

I believe it was the Bank of Montreal that had an ad running saying "Can a
bank change?". The satirical show This Hour has 22 Minutes had a comeback:
"Can a bank change? Hell, we don't even MAKE change!"

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Sep 23, 2009, 6:34:00 PM9/23/09

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." <jpst...@isp.com> wrote in

>>>It's been called The Banker's Heart from the git go AFAIC... I don't
>>>remember any other and I remember when the building went up.
>>>

>>I know, now, i just couldn't believe, then, the bank would be so blatant!
>

> I believe it was the Bank of Montreal that had an ad running saying "Can a
> bank change?". The satirical show This Hour has 22 Minutes had a comeback:
> "Can a bank change? Hell, we don't even MAKE change!"

There's a "Church" in down town L.A. set amid major corporate banking
headquarters with 2 big, hugh, neon signs proclaiming "Jesus Saves" i
always wonder, when i see them, which bank Jesus keeps his accounts at:)

Bob Terwilliger

Sep 24, 2009, 2:55:15 AM9/24/09
Steve Pope wrote:

> Didnt' Bill Clinton say something like "I am a Kosavar"??

Yes, but he was role-playing at the time, and Monica was dressed up like
Milosevic.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger

Sep 24, 2009, 2:56:56 AM9/24/09
Joseph wrote:

>> JFK only said "Ich bin ein Berliner" once, too, and I'm certain that
>> countless people said it before and after he did, but that doesn't make
>> the phrase any less "his."
>

> Sheldon is no JFK.

Boy, ain't THAT the truth!

Bob

blake murphy

Sep 24, 2009, 9:56:56 AM9/24/09
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:34:00 -0700, Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>>
>> I believe it was the Bank of Montreal that had an ad running saying "Can a
>> bank change?". The satirical show This Hour has 22 Minutes had a comeback:
>> "Can a bank change? Hell, we don't even MAKE change!"
>>

> There's a "Church" in down town L.A. set amid major corporate banking
> headquarters with 2 big, hugh, neon signs proclaiming "Jesus Saves" i
> always wonder, when i see them, which bank Jesus keeps his accounts at:)

Los Angeles University Cathedral, the home base of dr. gene scott,
televangelist extraordinaire. i mean, you gotta love a t.v. preacher who
smokes a big-ass cigar on the air.

he wasn't your run-of-the-mill t.v. preacher, either - he knew the ancient
greek, hebrew, and aramaic, and would give exegeses of biblical texts, and
fill whiteboards with nutty interconnections of things. had a kick-ass
rock band on his show, too.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Scott>

death has only slowed him down a little bit.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Sep 24, 2009, 9:58:55 AM9/24/09

hell, sheldon ain't even pee-wee herman.

your pal,
blake

Dan Abel

Sep 24, 2009, 1:17:56 PM9/24/09
In article <uff30bj2wbdg$.7fp3pigy9x31$.d...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

I read a little bit about him. He pulled in so much money that he made
Howard Hughes look like a bum in the street.

Terry Pulliam Burd

Sep 24, 2009, 10:49:53 PM9/24/09
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:20:56 -0600, Gloria P <gpue...@comcast.net>

fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

>> OB: The cafeteria at LA Superior Court has to have the most gawdawful
>> food in town. If they tried to serve that cr*p in prison, there'd be
>> inmate lawsuits raining down on the prison system. Pity the jurors -
>> there's only one restaurant within easy reach and it's $$$.
>

>Can they order out from anywhere nearby? Maybe someone should make
>takeout menus available to the jurors.

You mean as having food delivered? HA! I'd *love* to see a pizza
delivery guy try to get his extra large Veggie Feast past the metal
detector/security station. Hell, I'd pass out takeout menus to jurors
myself just to watch the deputy sheriffs try to screen a bunch of
delivery guys bringing in pizza, chinese, Thai, etc.

And did I mention that LA Superior is kitty-corner to the Disney
Concert Hall? Disney ain't gonna let no stinkin' fast food joint
clutter up *their* neighborhood. Bad enough they have a butt ugly
courthouse across the street.

blake murphy

Sep 25, 2009, 4:53:15 PM9/25/09

his show was a trip. sometimes he would stop talking and say 'you people
aren't calling in with pledges. i'm not talking until you do.' then he'd
sit and smoke his cigar while the band vamped in the background.

your pal,
blake

It is loading more messages.