Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

Rice dishes (definitions)

Visto 3 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Omelet

no leída,
24 sept 2009, 21:44:4124/9/09
Just curious about opinions.

What is the difference, say, between:

Fried rice
Risotto
Pilaf
Paella

etc. in rice dishes prepared in a skillet other than maybe the
accompanying meat and veggies added?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

Captain Obvious

no leída,
24 sept 2009, 22:00:2124/9/09
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:44:41 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> Just curious about opinions.
>
> What is the difference, say, between:
>
> Fried rice
> Risotto
> Pilaf
> Paella

Even I'm completely speechless.

zxcvbob

no leída,
24 sept 2009, 22:02:4824/9/09
Omelet wrote:
> Just curious about opinions.
>
> What is the difference, say, between:
>
> Fried rice
> Risotto
> Pilaf
> Paella
>
> etc. in rice dishes prepared in a skillet other than maybe the
> accompanying meat and veggies added?

How about paella v. jambalaya? (I think one is Spanish and the other is
Creole, but they are really the same thing)

Bob

modom (palindrome guy)

no leída,
24 sept 2009, 22:16:3024/9/09
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:02:48 -0500, zxcvbob <zxc...@charter.net>
wrote:

The preparation methods of the two are quite distinct, as are the
methods for the other dishes Om mentions.
--

modom

Gloria P

no leída,
24 sept 2009, 22:35:1424/9/09
Omelet wrote:
> Just curious about opinions.
>
> What is the difference, say, between:
>
> Fried rice
> Risotto
> Pilaf
> Paella
>
> etc. in rice dishes prepared in a skillet other than maybe the
> accompanying meat and veggies added?

They are all rice based but different in:
--types of rice
--cooking techniques (fried, simmered, roasted)
--liquid (oil, butter, broth),
and vegetables, herbs and spices.

There are many other rice dishes like asopao, jambalaya,
arroz con pollo, etc. It would be interesting to discover
how many different cuisines have a special rice dish.

I think if someone placed each in front of you, you'd know the difference.

gloria p

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig

no leída,
24 sept 2009, 23:58:5924/9/09

One family's Chicken and Rice is another family's Arroz con
Pollo! . . . or Biryani . . . or Chicken Bog . . . or
Kabsa . . . ;-)
Lynn in Fargo

Bob Terwilliger

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 2:44:5825/9/09
"Captain Obvious wrote:

>> Just curious about opinions.
>>
>> What is the difference, say, between:
>>
>> Fried rice
>> Risotto
>> Pilaf
>> Paella
>
> Even I'm completely speechless.

Om's been low-carbing so long she doesn't remember the differences...and
it's all academic to her until she *stops* low-carbing!

At any rate, to answer Om's question:

Fried rice is the only one of the bunch which starts out with already-cooked
rice. In fact, it's best if the rice has dried out a bit after cooking; it's
best with leftover steamed rice which has spent a night in the refrigerator.

Risotto is the most liquid of the bunch. It's stirred with the intent to
extract the starch from the rice, which forms a creamy sauce around the
rice.

Pilaf, risotto, and paella all start out by toasting rice in fat. Pilaf
diverges by having a carefully-measured amount of liquid added, then cooking
undisturbed while covered. Paella is by cooking while stirring for a short
time, then cooking uncovered and undisturbed.

Of course, there are also cultural differences which determine what other
ingredients go into the dish, but I assume Om mainly wanted to know about
differences in cooking techniques.

Bob

Omelet

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 10:45:1125/9/09
In article <7i2mmgF...@mid.individual.net>,
zxcvbob <zxc...@charter.net> wrote:

I think that was the point of my question. ;-)

Omelet

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 11:14:5625/9/09
In article <7i2oj7F...@mid.individual.net>,
Gloria P <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote:

Oh I know they are different in flavor and texture, but still...

I wonder just how many rice dishes there are?

I plan to eat more rice in the future, probably as a regular part of my
diet so will start collecting interesting recipes off the web and from
here just to keep it from getting boring. There are any number of stir
fry combos that can be made and served over/with rice, and I think
pretty much anything is fair game.

Just like with Omelet fillings. <g>

Here was the Paella I prepared last time we had a cooking challenge that
involved that dish. Can't recall whether it was this list or a.b.f. tho':

http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/Paella#

I'm sure many will say I did not make it right so it's not real Paella,
but it was delicious none the less. ;-d

Omelet

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 11:15:2525/9/09

Omelet

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 11:17:2425/9/09
In article <00757c30$0$5080$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

Pretty much. It appears that, of all grains, rice is the friendliest to
my particular metabolism.

And I like it.

And, thanks!

brooklyn1

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 11:56:2525/9/09
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:14:56 -0500, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I wonder just how many rice dishes there are?
>
>I plan to eat more rice in the future, probably as a regular part of my
>diet so will start collecting interesting recipes off the web and from
>here just to keep it from getting boring. There are any number of stir
>fry combos that can be made and served over/with rice, and I think
>pretty much anything is fair game.

There are as many different rice dishes as people who cook rice. Rice
is a major ingredient in every food catagory from soup/salad to
dessert, including libations. http://www.ricebeer.com/

Gloria P

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 18:01:3125/9/09
Omelet wrote:

> Pretty much. It appears that, of all grains, rice is the friendliest to
> my particular metabolism.
>
> And I like it.

I don't think I've ever had a rice dish I didn't like other than plain
boiled.

Years ago we were at a conference in San Diego and some suppliers, a
large group of very proper Bostonians, invited us to dinner at La Gran
Tapa, a very nice Spanish restaurant downtown.

Most of them had beef dishes and even lobster. Husband and I each
ordered the daily, rather inexpensive special, seafood paella.
It was delicious, with clams, cockles, mussels, crab, lobster and some
tiny octopi scattered over the top. A couple of them could not bear to
look at out plates due to the octopi, I guess. One commented that
"that's not the kind of seafood you get in MA." Having been born and
raised there in an ethnic household I could have argued the point but
didn't. It was rather amusing to see them trying not to look.

RECIPE w/out measurements:

Easy Rice Melange

Onion, lots, chopped
few cloves of garlic
peppers (red, yellow or pimentos are tastier than green bells)
celery, optional
can of diced tomatoes
chicken or shellfish broth
rice
chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
shrimp, clams, or mussels
saffron, if you have it, achiote if you like it
chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Sautee first four ingredients until slightly softened, add tomato and
broth and chicken if it is raw. Simmer a few minutes, add rice, herbs
and spices you prefer.

About 10 minutes before the rice is cooked, add shrimp. Taste for
seasonings.

Serve with olives, a green salad and crusty bread.

gloria p

Omelet

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 19:07:0525/9/09
In article <ouopb5drnvscq3t5v...@4ax.com>,
brooklyn1 <grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

I've not had much luck cooking with beer. The bitterness of the hops
tends to be overwhelming to me.

Omelet

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 19:22:1725/9/09
In article <7i4stvF...@mid.individual.net>,
Gloria P <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Pretty much. It appears that, of all grains, rice is the friendliest to
> > my particular metabolism.
> >
> > And I like it.
> >

> I don't think I've ever had a rice dish I didn't like other than plain
> boiled.

Even that is not bad with a little butter, salt and pepper. ;-)

> Years ago we were at a conference in San Diego and some suppliers, a
> large group of very proper Bostonians, invited us to dinner at La Gran
> Tapa, a very nice Spanish restaurant downtown.
>
> Most of them had beef dishes and even lobster. Husband and I each
> ordered the daily, rather inexpensive special, seafood paella.
> It was delicious, with clams, cockles, mussels, crab, lobster and some
> tiny octopi scattered over the top. A couple of them could not bear to
> look at out plates due to the octopi, I guess. One commented that
> "that's not the kind of seafood you get in MA." Having been born and
> raised there in an ethnic household I could have argued the point but
> didn't. It was rather amusing to see them trying not to look.

I love Octopus. Raw or cooked!
I've had it as sushi and I've prepared small ones stuffed.

> RECIPE w/out measurements:
>
> Easy Rice Melange
>
> Onion, lots, chopped
> few cloves of garlic
> peppers (red, yellow or pimentos are tastier than green bells)
> celery, optional
> can of diced tomatoes
> chicken or shellfish broth
> rice
> chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
> shrimp, clams, or mussels
> saffron, if you have it, achiote if you like it
> chopped parsley
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Sautee first four ingredients until slightly softened, add tomato and
> broth and chicken if it is raw. Simmer a few minutes, add rice, herbs
> and spices you prefer.
>
> About 10 minutes before the rice is cooked, add shrimp. Taste for
> seasonings.
>
> Serve with olives, a green salad and crusty bread.
>
> gloria p

Thanks! Stored to disk....

Bob Terwilliger

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 21:40:3625/9/09
Om wrote:

> I wonder just how many rice dishes there are?

There are 14,659,127,633 rice dishes.

You're welcome. :-)

Bob

Omelet

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 21:52:2825/9/09
In article <006b82c2$0$24545$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

I trust your math... <g>

hahabogus

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 21:55:5525/9/09
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in news:ompomelet-D8BBD5.20522825092009@news-
wc.giganews.com on Sep Fri 2009 08:52 pm

> In article <006b82c2$0$24545$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
> "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
>
>> Om wrote:
>>
>> > I wonder just how many rice dishes there are?
>>
>> There are 14,659,127,633 rice dishes.
>>
>> You're welcome. :-)
>>
>> Bob
>
> I trust your math... <g>

Add one more to that list...make it with grape kool-ade.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Bob Terwilliger

no leída,
25 sept 2009, 22:01:2325/9/09
Alan wrote:

> Add one more to that list...make it with grape kool-ade.

If you add highly-concentrated grape kool-ade to freshly-cooked medium-grain
rice and you fan it while stirring, does it make grape sushi rice? Might be
interesting with sea urchin gonads or octopus. It might also go well with
some of the Persian curries or Greek roasted chicken.

Bob

Dan Abel

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 0:24:5126/9/09
In article <ompomelet-B4419...@news-wc.giganews.com>,
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <7i4stvF...@mid.individual.net>,
> Gloria P <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > I don't think I've ever had a rice dish I didn't like other than plain
> > boiled.
>
> Even that is not bad with a little butter, salt and pepper. ;-)

My wife grew up in a home where there wasn't much cooking, and no
spices. Her idea of exotic food was plain white rice with soy sauce on
it. She just couldn't get enough of it.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA