WEG endurance ride (long)

Truman Prevatt

Sep 6, 1994, 10:03:44 AM9/6/94
I have enclosed below an article written by Melissa Crain describing the
WEG endurance ride. It is talked from an article she wrote in the
Southeastern Endurance Riders Association (SERA) newsletter. This article
is not only informative but shows the true sprit of the sport of distance
riding. Editors notes will be supplied in parentheses.

TO FINISH IS TO WIN
by Melissa Crain

I have been very fortunate with Whoa Jack, in that we consistently finish
up front. That is, until our last race, the WEG in Holland- the BEGGIE.
Of course I thought Jack would be up there, not knowing that so much of the
going would be in such deep sand.

We were up front for 75 miles, but Jack wasn't drinking as much as he
should have, it was very hot and humid and there was so much sand. By that
point three of our horses had already been pulled. Stag Newman for tying
up at the first vet check, Jeannie Waldron for tying up right at the start
and Debbie Gordon for lameness at 50 miles. Becky Hart, Valerie Kanavy and
I made up enough to finish a team, but Becky's horse, Rio, had already had
some problems and was going at a conservative pace. (Ed note: Valerie
Kanavy went on to win).

Jack took 28 minutes to recover at Vet Check III, and Debby Lyon, our chef
d'equipe, told me to think of the team and just finish. My pit crew was so
fine. Tommy, my man, Nina, still high from winning the ROC, and Judy and
Doug Sandlin, 25 milers extrordinaire, made up my team. (Ed Note: Nina
Warren won the 1994 ROC in record time 45 minutes ahead of Valerie Kanavy).
Nina told me she had figured it out, and that I could walk the rest of the
way and still get done by cut-off time, 1:30 AM. Oh S___! Nina also said
to keep in mind that a person can't ride a medal. My crew would be
standing by to pick me up if I needed help. (Ed Note: In an article by
Nina Warren in the same SERA newsletter, Nina reports that at this point
Melissa wanted to pull Jack because he did not recover fast. The US team
vet went over Jack during the hold and said he was not in danger of
metabolic breakdown and should recover if she took it slow. After hearing
this Melissa decided to continue).

So I started out leading Jack. It was 18 miles through the deep , hot sand
dunes. I felt like Lawrence of Arabia on the way to Akaba! All the time I
was thinking that I just couldn't believe it was turning out like this. We
had been doing fine. By now the adrenaline had quite pumping, and my mind
was thinking FINISH. Several times along the way people- Americans,
Germans, Swedes, everybody- gave Jack and me food and water. We would just
visit, Jack would graze, and then we would move along. After 5 hours we
came into the last vet check at 91 miles.

When we came in he was 60, hydrated, and felt great. Becky Hart had been
pulled at Vet Check III- Rio had fallen and was lame. The team was no
more. I started thinking of Sheila Hutcherson's song, "To Finish Is To
Win". I felt like I had my horse back now, and I decided we could finish
in style. The rest of the trail was sidewalks and roads; thankfully the
dunes were behind us. It would be dark in one hour, but I felt like we
could finish by then. (Ed Note: The beauty of a good horse is that they
can have a great recovery if you just slow down.)

We left at a nice trot. The first official I saw I asked what place we
were in, and he said 40th, with 40 more behind you. Now my adrenaline
kicked in again, and I decided that while we might be 40th, we were going
to be a good strong 40th!

People in Europe really get into horse sports. All up and down the roads
people were clapping with thumbs up and saying "Success, success!" It made
me feel so good again.

The finish line was in a huge stadium in downtown Den Hague. Riders were
to make a trip around it and finish in front of the queen's box. When we
came in, the place was full of cheering spectators, and Jack and I felt
just great! We came in like we were winning the race. It was just after
dark, about 10:30 PM.

I jumped off Jack. Tommy, Nina, Judy and Mitch Benson, our vet, were all
there. Nina was worried that I had come in too hard, but when we took
Jack's pulse it was 54! Tommy presented him and we got our completion
right away. Nina couldn't help but comment that I was on the wrong lead
and counterbent coming around the stadium. I thought (expletive deleted),
but I didn't say anything. (Ed Note: Since a good pit crew is hard to
find, a rider must suppress the urge to wring their scrawny necks even
though they deserve it!).

When we got back to the barn, we fixed Jack a warm brand mash, poultice his
leg, and put him to bed. It was finally time to go home.

When Tommy and I got back to our room I asked him to read Sheilas song (I
keep it with me). I couldn't read it myself or I would cry.

"And now I see the finish line in sight-
though its by the moon's eternal light.
And though there may be others
who are already done.
When we cross the line
I know we have won."

Understand the prinicples so you can devise your own methods.

Truman and Mystic "The Horse from HELL" Storm

pre...@lds.loral.com