Western riding video recommendations

Allan M. Due

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
Ok, I have this birthday coming up and folks are asking me what I would like
for a gift. What I would like is some videos related to cutting, reining, or
possibly penning but I have no idea where to look for them or what might be
good. Any recommendations? Or other suggestions for a new rider just getting
started (Western).

Allan

--
$email{'Allan M. Due'} = ' A...@n.Due.net ';
--random quote --

Tralrdr

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
>Ok, I have this birthday coming up and folks are asking me what I would like
>for a gift. What I would like is some videos related to cutting, reining, or
>possibly penning but I have no idea where to look for them or what might be
>good. Any recommendations? <<

Go to the store and get a copy of this months Western Horseman, its the Holiday
Gift issue. They have scads of books on Western riding, cutting, reining and
Team Penning. In fact, WH makes books on these subjects (as well as many
others) and uses top trainers in each field. Definitely get a subscription to
the mag.
It will at least open the door for you.
Good luck, Carrie n MIller

Allan M. Due

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
"Allan M. Due" <Al...@due.net> wrote in message
: Ok, I have this birthday coming up and folks are asking me what I would like

: for a gift. What I would like is some videos related to cutting, reining,
or
: possibly penning but I have no idea where to look for them or what might be
: good. Any recommendations? Or other suggestions for a new rider just
getting
: started (Western).

Well, I have to admit I am surprised that there weren't some video
recommendations forthcoming. I guess horse folks are more doers than
watchers. :-)

Allan
--
$email{'Allan M. Due'} = ' A...@n.Due.net ';
--random quote --

Personally, I think hashes are gods greatest gift to the programmer. I love
them. If I could turn my wife into one, I would.
-Staffan Liljas (in clpm)

Tralrdr

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
Allen, any one of them are worth watching!
Western Horseman has several videos as well as books in their mags. Anything
by Al Dunning is good. Hes a major reiner, and I think he is into cutting
horses now also. Some tack shops/vet supply stores even rent videos, saving
you the cost of buying.
Wintertime is the time for watching these!
Also, if you wish, get copies of the National Cutting Horse Association videos
of their final go rounds, they are entertaining too.
Good Luck, Carrie n Miller

Mel~in~LostAngeles

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
Al Dunning, Bob Avila, Todd Arvidson. If you this is for a beginner
like you say, I'd learn the basics of dressage. I ride western, team
pen, and cut and nothing, no video, nor magazine has taught me how to
have a more stable seat, and more importantly, how to make my horse
comfortable than dressage. Just for the basics, as you say this is for
a beginner. After the basics are down, then like I said earlier, check
out Bob Loomis videos. As far as magazines, Western Horseman is the
premium "western mag".

Please use a horse that is already trained in cutting, penning,
whathaveyou. Green on green is damaging and time consuming...I should
know <g>.

Mel

--
Mel in Lost Angeles

http://homestead.deja.com/user.gingergirl/Gingergirl.html
http://www.sunsetranchhollywood.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Allan M. Due

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00

:
: Please use a horse that is already trained in cutting, penning,
: whathaveyou. Green on green is damaging and time consuming...I should
: know <g>.

Thanks for the info. I probably wasn't real clear in my request. What I am
looking for are tapes that were fun to watch and inspiring rather than
training oriented. Frankly, it hadn't even entered my head that someone could
learn to ride by watching a tape. <g> Of course a good training tape could be
useful I just never thought about it.

The horse that I am learning on just came from a working ranch to the barn
where I am taking lessons so the bright green part of the equation is myself.
He is great and is teaching me a lot, and I believe my instructor is really
good too so I have both of them working to keep me out of trouble. I have a
ways to go before I could even consider reining, cutting or penning. My main
goal at this point is to become a competent rider. After that I could think
about tackling anything else.

Again, thanks for the pointers.

Alwzhorsn

Nov 8, 2000, 10:13:52 PM11/8/00
>"Allan M. Due" Al...@due.net
>Thanks for the info. I probably wasn't real clear in my request. What I am
looking for are tapes that were fun to watch and inspiring rather than training
oriented.>

Try Eitan Beth Halcemy's tapes (cowboy dressage_. He's really cool and his tape
is fun to watch.

(P&M)
Jennifer
alwz...@aol.com