questions on durosole?

36 vues

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 10:43:3620/09/2009
hi Everyone...

last week, prior to the move, Mach threw a shoe. (sue...last time
Mach was done the farrier opted to nail shoes on, rather than
sigs....i was not present, sigh). Because he grows so little hoof, we
pulled his shoes. At the new place, his turnout is very soft and the
rings are also very soft. we are 180 degrees over what we had. I
will most likely buy some sort of booties (boas???) for trail riding
off of the property.

Of course, with pulling the shoes, he's a bit tenderfooted. My
farrier suggested painting his soles with venice turpentine. I seem
to remember Tom S touting the merits of Durosole. I've read a bit on
line, and would like to hear from people who use it.....worth
doing??? are there any negatives or indicators for NOT using
durasole???

He's getting a lot of turnout at this point, we've had a dramatic
reduction in heat, so he's out fairly close to 24/7. all good for
pumping circulation to the tootsies. He's on a biotin supplement. My
challenge is that he WON'T eat powder, so he's getting a double dose
of one of the pelleted formulations (once in the am and pm). He's now
getting very decent quality grass/timothy hay. He's fed Ultium. He's
getting source.

I'm very interested to hear what else we can do. Last October when we
pulled shoes for the first time, he had about a 3 week period of
tenderness. I'm hoping that this year it will be less. I'd like to
keep him barefoot as long as possible....as long as he stays sound
being barefoot.

Ocean of Nuance

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 10:58:1320/09/2009
betsey wrote:
> hi Everyone...
>
> last week, prior to the move, Mach threw a shoe. (sue...last time
> Mach was done the farrier opted to nail shoes on, rather than
> sigs....i was not present, sigh). Because he grows so little hoof, we
> pulled his shoes.

Can I just ask if he used to grow hoof at a noticeably quicker rate and
that this is a definite change?

If a change, you can try to trace it to what changed in his world.

Also, Pete needed to be on a sub-5 week shoeing schedule at times due to
high hoof growth rate while wearing shoes. He has been on a 5-week for
the last several months but really could go less. According to what you
write, his growth rate would increase if he was barefoot. Besides
becoming a miserable, pain-ridden cripple without the support, I'm not
so sure his growth rate would/could increase noticeably.

He was on a 6-week cycle in Canada in a rubber ring. He went sub-5
weeks on a sand ring. Shoes all the time. The point is that there can
be changes in required shoeing frequency that are independent of
shoeing. That's what I'm suggesting in re your horse and that I don't
understand the point of pulling shoes for low growth rate.

Good luck.

sharon

Eileen

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 11:00:3320/09/2009
On Sep 20, 10:43 am, betsey <twoxo...@aol.com> wrote:

> I'm very interested to hear what else we can do.

I usually do some durasole or venice of turps a week or so before
pulling shoes, every other day. I also put it on any hoof which is too
soft, barefoot or shod. Worked a treat for Baby this summer.

Eileen Morgan
The Mare's Nest (PA)
Please Support me for The Pink Ribbon Ride, helping women facing
poverty and breast cancer. More info on http://www.themaresnest.com

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 11:06:2220/09/2009
On Sep 20, 10:58 am, Ocean of Nuance <lizRMOVzardwo...@nc.rr.com>
wrote:

Hi Sharon--

Macho has always had a slow growth rate...he's unable to keep a shoe
on for longer than say four weeks. i've never had him on a six week
cycle...the best i could hope for with shoes was five.... the reason
as to WHY to pull the shoes is simple...when you have a horse with
such low growth rate, the farrier is then resetting/putting on a new
show and nailing holes where there are allready holes...you end up
with something akin to swiss cheese. NOT conduscive to keeping a shoe
on.

We ended up putting shoes back on him this summer (initially, the
sigafoos) because where he was, he was stomping flies into oblivion
and made himself footsore. he's a little tender now (much less so
than last year in october when we pulled shoes), but once past the
tenderfooted stage (kinda like if you're used to wearing shoes and
then YOU go barefoot), he really did well, and his feet had never
looked healthier.

I am hoping that better footing and better quality hay will help him.
it hadn't in the past, but after 18 months of where we were...i'm
hoping that the improvement helps <g>

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 11:07:2820/09/2009

eileen-
do you see a difference between the durasole versus venice
turpentine? would you recommend one over the other???

Betsey

Ocean of Nuance

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 11:11:3620/09/2009
betsey wrote:

(snip)

> Hi Sharon--
>
> Macho has always had a slow growth rate...he's unable to keep a shoe
> on for longer than say four weeks. i've never had him on a six week
> cycle...the best i could hope for with shoes was five.... the reason
> as to WHY to pull the shoes is simple...when you have a horse with
> such low growth rate, the farrier is then resetting/putting on a new
> show and nailing holes where there are allready holes...you end up
> with something akin to swiss cheese. NOT conduscive to keeping a shoe
> on.
>
> We ended up putting shoes back on him this summer (initially, the
> sigafoos) because where he was, he was stomping flies into oblivion
> and made himself footsore. he's a little tender now (much less so
> than last year in october when we pulled shoes), but once past the
> tenderfooted stage (kinda like if you're used to wearing shoes and
> then YOU go barefoot), he really did well, and his feet had never
> looked healthier.
>
> I am hoping that better footing and better quality hay will help him.
> it hadn't in the past, but after 18 months of where we were...i'm
> hoping that the improvement helps <g>

Ah okay. I haven't had to deal with low growth so I missed that.

But isn't there is issue of wear when barefoot that you don't have with
shoes? I mean the growth rate could go up but if the abbrasion rate
goes up faster you have a net loss, yes? Might work if ridden
frequently n a rubber ring I suppose.

sharon

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 11:42:1420/09/2009
On Sep 20, 11:11 am, Ocean of Nuance <lizRMOVzardwo...@nc.rr.com>
wrote:
> sharon- Hide quoted text -

well yes, you have a valid point....but the counterpoint is...if he
stays sound barefoot, all is well. i haven't experience him wearing
himself down being barefoot. I don't think that will be an issue here.

as far as rubber ring..our indoor has the rubber footing, so i guess
this winter I can report back more fully on that one.

betsey

Jane Saranac

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 11:47:5320/09/2009

"betsey" <twox...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Of course, with pulling the shoes, he's a bit tenderfooted. My
> farrier suggested painting his soles with venice turpentine. I seem
> to remember Tom S touting the merits of Durosole. I've read a bit on
> line, and would like to hear from people who use it.....worth
> doing??? are there any negatives or indicators for NOT using
> durasole???

I bought a bottle of durasole and used it only once or twice... don't know
how well it works though I have heard good things from others... the only
downside is that like most things you have to apply to the foot
(thrushbuster turpentine iodine etc) it can be messy, smelly and stain so
you need to use it in a well ventilated area. Since my horses all have
pretty solid feet I went to feed through supplements like biotin, etc. and
don't have need for the durasole... if you send me a mailing address I can
ship it off to you and you can try it out and compare it to other things (I
believe it costs a little more than the venice turpentine but don't know if
that is outweighed by its usefulness.)

Ocean of Nuance

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 11:49:5320/09/2009
Jane Saranac wrote:

(snip)

if you send me a mailing address I can
> ship it off to you and you can try it out

I think shipping this stuff might require some special hazmat paperwork, no?

sharon

Madeline Rockwell

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 11:54:1620/09/2009
We're a month or so into a Durasole regimen on one horse. For a while, one
foot had a pad, the other got Durasoled. The farrier noted a significant
difference. So I bought a few more bottles. (Jeffers has the best deal-
priced like others, but cheap shipping)

madeline

JC Dill

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 12:18:2120/09/2009
betsey wrote:

> do you see a difference between the durasole versus venice
> turpentine? would you recommend one over the other???

Although I don't know for sure (the formula is secret) I believe that
Durasole contains Venice turpentine (and a bunch of other stuff). IME
Durasole and works better than plain Venice turpentine. However Venice
turpentine is often more easily obtained when you first need it.

In your case, I suggest you call around and see if you can find Durasole
in stock locally. If you can't find Durasole, order some and start
using it as soon as it arrives, and in the meantime locate and use
Venice turpentine until the Durasole comes in.

jc

JC Dill

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 12:23:3520/09/2009
betsey wrote:

> I seem
> to remember Tom S touting the merits of Durosole. I've read a bit on
> line, and would like to hear from people who use it.....worth
> doing??? are there any negatives or indicators for NOT using
> durasole???

Definitely worth doing. This link might be helpful for locating it
in-stock at a store near you:

http://www.durasole.com/Durasole_buy.html

Emily Brooks

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 12:34:4420/09/2009

"betsey" <twox...@aol.com> wrote in message
> At the new place, his turnout is very soft and the
> rings are also very soft. we are 180 degrees over what we had. I
> will most likely buy some sort of booties (boas???) for trail riding
> off of the property.
>
> Of course, with pulling the shoes, he's a bit tenderfooted. My
> farrier suggested painting his soles with venice turpentine. I seem
> to remember Tom S touting the merits of Durosole.

I have found Durasole to be an excellent product, performing as advertised
when used as directed. (Not that I've been following the directions. "A few
drops" at a time never seemed to be enough because it soaked in so fast. So
I've always used a bit more than that and spread it around with an old
toothbrush with the head bent 90 degrees, supplied by my mechanic, er, SO.)
I've never used it on Hoover or Spot, only on Cash.

Soft footing has it's merits. I get wound up over too deep or inconsistent
footing (soft/hard and/or thin/deep).

Barefoot you have to watch that wear matches growth. On a horse that grows
hoof wall slowly, keep an eye out that he doesn't wear more than he grows.

What size Boas? I have a set that are never, ever, going on Hoover. He of
the full-size-larger feet than Cash. We could work out some deal, I'm sure!
If these would fit Macho. Email size or measurement info (addy not munged)
and I'll dig my set out and see if they're right for you.

Emily

Emily Brooks

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 12:45:3220/09/2009

"JC Dill" <jcdill...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I now take that list with a grain of salt although I have a sample size of
one. Horse and Hound in Gainesville, GA does not have it in stock but
they're willing to order it for me. Whoop-do-do - I can order it from
Jeffers and get it delivered to my house!

(I note that the instructions on the Jeffers site match what I really did
with it - thin line applied and spread with an old toothbrush. I'm so avante
garde!)

Emily

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 12:55:5220/09/2009
On Sep 20, 12:34 pm, "Emily Brooks" <sun...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "betsey" <twoxo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Thanks Emily...
Macho has little feet...shoe size i believe is a double 0.....I'll
take measurements this week and email them to you..if you think they
will work, I'd be happy to buy them from you!

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 12:56:3020/09/2009

i'm on the road for work tomorrow...will call Rick's and see if they
carry it, otherwise, Jeffers here I come!

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 12:56:5020/09/2009
On Sep 20, 11:54 am, "Madeline Rockwell" <madel...@vermontel.net>
wrote:

thanks Madeline!

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 12:57:2820/09/2009
On Sep 20, 12:45 pm, "Emily Brooks" <sun...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "JC Dill" <jcdill.li...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Hmmm. no old toothbrush, guess we will use a new one! did you spread
it on his frog? or just the sole???

betsey

Eileen

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 14:08:0220/09/2009
On Sep 20, 11:07 am, betsey <twoxo...@aol.com> wrote:
> eileen-
> do you see a difference between the durasole versus venice
> turpentine?  would you recommend one over the other???

Turps are more messy, Durasole you can just dribble around the foot
where you want it to go.

Since I've not needed either often, I can't say I have a stronger
comparison than that. I think it's easier to find turps in a hurry,
like a shoe off or something, but Durasole is better to work with.

Both have done their intended job each time I've used them.

Hunter Hampton

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 14:16:1920/09/2009

I suggest Keratex.

http://www.keratex.net/

Hunter

Ocean of Nuance

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 14:38:4220/09/2009
Hunter Hampton wrote:
> I suggest Keratex.
>
> http://www.keratex.net/

That's what my trainer likes.

sharon

hpjeannie

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 15:20:2120/09/2009
Durasole did wonders for Novia's feet when I decided a few years ago
that she should be barefoot. She has lower ringbone in the fronts and
I was worried about her going barefoot, but it was the best thing I
could have done. The Durasole toughened up her soles and the
shoelessness kept manure and mud from sticking in her feet so much
(moisture is a problem here November through March/April). The
farrier said her feet were in great shape just before I moved her up
to Clear Lake.

At Clear Lake, the barn owner had a habit of overfilling the water
tanks, which made mud around them. Novia likes to stand in mud;
however, the mud up there is red clay, which balled up in her feet,
then dried and caused soreness and thrush. After we figured out what
the problem was, she stopped overfilling the tanks and used some
thrush med, and Novia is back to being pasture sound again. She will
get Durasoled when I'm there next weekend.

My friend there (her buddy's owner) also says she's sound again and I
trust her judgement. She also says Novia is "fat" and shiny; if she
is sound, that is fine, but my friend and the barn owner both know
that I like Novia on the lean side due to the ringbone..and her
racehorse lineage gives her a "waistline" that I like better than the
halter-horse look that seems popular up there.

So, long story short (too late!!), count one enthusiastic vote for me
for Durasole.

Jeannie

Emily Brooks

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 16:01:5720/09/2009

Hmmm. no old toothbrush, guess we will use a new one! did you spread
it on his frog? or just the sole???

betsey
------------
Just the sole.

My Boas may be too big for Macho but let's do the measurements/sizing and be
sure. Hoover wears shoes a size or two larger than Cash, for whom I bought
these boots. I pretended to try them on Hoover once - can slide maybe the
toe quarter into 'em :-)

http://www.easycareinc.com/Our_Boots/Boa_Horse_Boot/boaboot_sizing.aspx
Mine are size 2.

Emily

Madeline Rockwell

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 17:21:2220/09/2009
"Ocean of Nuance" <lizRMOVz...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

Not if the boxes I got are any indication.

madeline

Madeline Rockwell

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 17:25:1020/09/2009

> betsey wrote:
>
>> do you see a difference between the durasole versus venice
>> turpentine? would you recommend one over the other???
>
> Although I don't know for sure (the formula is secret) I believe that
> Durasole contains Venice turpentine (and a bunch of other stuff). IME
> Durasole and works better than plain Venice turpentine. However Venice
> turpentine is often more easily obtained when you first need it.

According to the label:
Formaldehyde
Tannic acid
gentian violet
povidone-iodine

Not a scientist, so I don't know any more than that.

madeline

Madeline Rockwell

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 17:29:5320/09/2009
"Ocean of Nuance" <lizRMOVz...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

Different products for different needs. Durasole is a sole toughener.
Keratex appears to work on the hoof wall. If a horse had really crappy feet,
you might use both!

madeline

Laurel Reddick

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 17:30:3920/09/2009
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:43:36 -0700 (PDT), betsey <twox...@aol.com>
wrote:
>snip
>I'm very interested to hear what else we can do. Last October when we
>pulled shoes for the first time, he had about a 3 week period of
>tenderness. I'm hoping that this year it will be less. I'd like to
>keep him barefoot as long as possible....as long as he stays sound
>being barefoot.
Hi Betsey. I've been using Durasole religiously on my post foundered
mare for about 2 months with good results. It takes about 3 weeks in
my experience for it to start being really effective. And you have to
follow the recommended regime for it to work well i.e. twice a day for
a week, once a day for a week etc. I use it on the sole and frogs of
my mare. I don't find it messy to apply as it comes in a plastic
bottle that you squeeze out a drop at a time. Just go slowly with the
squeezing and let the foot absorb it or you waste it and it runs over
the edges of the foot, and it is pricey. Keretex works fine too. I
switched to Durasole from Keretex because I think the Keretex is more
toxic somehow ie. formaldehyde primarily and I was leery of too much
formaldehyde. You have to keep using the Durasole as it wears off as
the sole is shed. I was able to put away my Old Mac boots for the
summer when I got my mare's feet toughened up with Durasole.
Laurel

Ocean of Nuance

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 18:39:5920/09/2009

Formaldehyde <-- Known human carcinogen

Possibly concentration is very low. I would use that in a ventilated
area and not get on the skin.

As to appropriate gloves...

"Butyl and nitrile rubber gloves with > 0.3mm thickness are recommended
when handling 30-70% formaldehyde solutions, while natural rubber
(latex) gloves, polyethylene, and polyvinyl alcohol gloves are permeated
by formaldehyde in less than one hour under standard conditions and are
NOT recommended when handling formaldehyde solutions."

http://www.ohsah.bc.ca/591/2516

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 19:39:2520/09/2009
On Sep 20, 5:29 pm, "Madeline Rockwell" <madel...@vermontel.net>
wrote:
> "Ocean of Nuance" <lizRMOVzardwo...@nc.rr.com> wrote in messagenews:7hnb5gF...@mid.individual.net...

> > Hunter Hampton wrote:
> >> I suggest Keratex.
>
> >>http://www.keratex.net/
>
> > That's what my trainer likes.
>
> > sharon
>
> Different products for different needs. Durasole is a sole toughener.
> Keratex appears to work on the hoof wall. If a horse had really crappy feet,
> you might use both!
>
> madeline

thanks Madeline!
i was wondering...he does not grow a lot of hoof and they can be
pretty shelly...hencing losing a shoe. think the keratex should be
added to the regime as well???

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 19:40:1720/09/2009
On Sep 20, 5:30 pm, Laurel Reddick <lred...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:43:36 -0700 (PDT), betsey <twoxo...@aol.com>

thank you laurel!

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 19:40:5920/09/2009

thank you! I've ordered three bottles from jeffers....

betsey

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 19:41:2420/09/2009
On Sep 20, 4:01 pm, "Emily Brooks" <sun...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "betsey" <twoxo...@aol.com> wrote in message

i'll take measurements this week and see what's what...thank you!

JC Dill

non lue,
20 sept. 2009, 21:49:0420/09/2009
betsey wrote:

> i was wondering...he does not grow a lot of hoof and they can be
> pretty shelly...hencing losing a shoe. think the keratex should be
> added to the regime as well???

Horses with poor hoof benefit from specific nutritional supplements. A
lot of people feed "biotin" without really understanding what it is, or
if it will help. Usually it doesn't help, because it's not enough.

Biotin is a vitamin. It is not a vitamin that horses need to consume in
food - they manufacture it in the digestive system, as well as vitamin
C. (Humans and other primates, and Guinea Pigs are the only animals who
need to get their vitamin C from food or supplements - all others
manufacture it in the digestive tract.)

Both biotin and vitamin C production can be affected by stress. When
they did a study of horses with "poor hoofs" and fed biotin *alone* only
6% developed better hoofs because of the biotin supplementation. Again,
this is because biotin alone is not enough. If the horse is deficient
in biotin he's probably also deficient in Vitamin C. And he needs extra
trace nutrients such as copper, zinc, methionine, etc. He needs a
supplement with all of these and more - a top-notch hoof supplement.

This is why I strongly urge people who have horses with poor hoofs to
try Farrier's Formula. Not one of the knock-off supplements, get the
good stuff to avoid wasting money on something that seems "close" but
doesn't actually do the job. Yes, Farrier's Formula can be pricey. But
how much do you spend on topical products trying to toughen up the hoofs
from the outside, and on extra farrier visits when the horse loses a
shoe or can't go more than 4 weeks without being reshod etc.? And how
much does it "cost" to feed a lame horse you can't ride? Order or
purchase the LARGE bucket - the 5 month supply. The smaller amounts are
too little - you will run out before you can see the results of the
supplementation. It takes ~2-3 months before the new hoof is obvious,
and by 5 months you will be SOLD on how good this stuff is. The horse
will have a hoof that is in "2 parts" - the top will be glossy and well
formed, and the bottom will be dull and splayed. It's amazing how
dramatic the results are, when you give it 4-5 months before you
"decide" if it's working or not. Also, you get the best price when you
order it in the 5 month supply size.

jc

Ellen

non lue,
21 sept. 2009, 05:42:4721/09/2009
I'm also another Durasole user. Bought an inexpensive hoof oil brush
and use that to spread it around. Don't have to use it often but when
I do it does work. Heartland Vet Supply is another online place that
sells Durasole.

On Sep 20, 10:43 am, betsey <twoxo...@aol.com> wrote:
> hi Everyone...
>
> last week, prior to the move, Mach threw a shoe.  (sue...last time
> Mach was done the farrier opted to nail shoes on, rather than
> sigs....i was not present, sigh).  Because he grows so little hoof, we
> pulled his shoes.  At the new place, his turnout is very soft and the

betsey

non lue,
21 sept. 2009, 07:07:1021/09/2009

HI JC--

I have used Farriers Formula in the past...and it seemed to me (after
using it for 8+ months) that it did not do anything more than any of
the others. But, as what I'm using now does not seem to be doing much
either...I'll give the farrier's formula another try.

Betsey

0 nouveau message