How many liters in a Gallon ?

Jacques Gauthier

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Hello,

I read in my Webster dictionnary that there is 4.54 liters in a Gallon.
In the Grocery store this week, I saw a big jug of Arizona Ice tea that
was a 3.78 liter bottle and on it was written: 1 Gallon.

I am assuming that one is a U.S gallon and the other is a British Gallon.
I am curious as to which one is most likely to be used when reading
books on beer/winemaking as there is a big difference in the quantities.

Do the U.S/U.K differ also in Quarts, Fluid Oz and Pints ?

Jacques G.

Jeff Frane

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

On 28 Aug 1997 10:44:33 GMT, "Jacques Gauthier" <JRac...@cam.org>
wrote:

>I am assuming that one is a U.S gallon and the other is a British Gallon.
>I am curious as to which one is most likely to be used when reading
>books on beer/winemaking as there is a big difference in the quantities.

An Imperial gallon (used in Britain and Canada), is the equivalent of
5 American quarts, rather than 4 as in the U.S., but I believe it is
also the product of 4 quarts (quarters); the quarts are simply larger.

An Imperial pint is 20 ounces, whilst an American pint is 16; two
pints in a quart, four quarts in a gallon.

--Jeff Frane

georg hawks

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Jacques Gauthier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read in my Webster dictionnary that there is 4.54 liters in a Gallon.
> In the Grocery store this week, I saw a big jug of Arizona Ice tea that
> was a 3.78 liter bottle and on it was written: 1 Gallon.
>
> I am assuming that one is a U.S gallon and the other is a British Gallon.
> I am curious as to which one is most likely to be used when reading
> books on beer/winemaking as there is a big difference in the quantities.
>
> Do the U.S/U.K differ also in Quarts, Fluid Oz and Pints ?
>
> Jacques G.

I understand that the size of an ounce is very close, but a US pint is
16 oz, a UK pint is 20 oz, and (this one may be wrong) an Australian
pint is 24 oz.

I always thought a liter was slightly smaller than a quart. I could be
wrong and it would be the other way round.

The US does follow the formula 4 oz = 1 cup, 2 cups = 1 pint, 2 pints =
1 quart, and 4 quarts = 1 gallon.

georg
non ani sunt permittendi

Pierre Jelenc

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Jacques Gauthier <JRac...@cam.org> writes:

> I read in my Webster dictionnary that there is 4.54 liters in a Gallon.
> In the Grocery store this week, I saw a big jug of Arizona Ice tea that
> was a 3.78 liter bottle and on it was written: 1 Gallon.
>
> I am assuming that one is a U.S gallon and the other is a British Gallon.
> I am curious as to which one is most likely to be used when reading
> books on beer/winemaking as there is a big difference in the quantities.

On the Net it's mostly US gallons. In print it depends on where the book
was published.

> Do the U.S/U.K differ also in Quarts, Fluid Oz and Pints ?

Yes, quarts and pints in the same proportions. Ounces are almost the same:
29.57 ml (US) vs 28.42 ml (UK).

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc
New York City | Home Office

Dan Razzell

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

In article <01bcb2d8$306162e0$b97797cd@jacquesg>,
"Jacques Gauthier" <JRac...@cam.org> writes:

> Hello,

> I read in my Webster dictionnary that there is 4.54 liters in a Gallon.
> In the Grocery store this week, I saw a big jug of Arizona Ice tea that
> was a 3.78 liter bottle and on it was written: 1 Gallon.
>
> I am assuming that one is a U.S gallon and the other is a British Gallon.
> I am curious as to which one is most likely to be used when reading
> books on beer/winemaking as there is a big difference in the quantities.
>

> Do the U.S/U.K differ also in Quarts, Fluid Oz and Pints ?

Yes indeed. One more reason to use metric terminology where reasonable.
We have a funny situation in winemaking where all of the analytical work
is metric but most of the work in the fields and in the winery is in
other measures. It's also common to see marriages of convenience, such
as formulae which calculate how many mL of sulphite solution to add to
so many gallons or tons of wine.

Imperial and American fluid measures differ all the way down the line.
Even the ounce measure differs slightly, although for most purposes we
can ignore the difference. Larger measures can be expressed in terms of
ounces:

Imperial American
------- --------

Cup (c) 8 oz 8 oz
Pint (pt) 20 oz (1/2 qt) 16 oz (1/2 qt)
Quart (qt) 40 oz (5 c) 32 oz (4 c)
Gallon (gal) 160 oz (4 qt) 128 oz (4 qt)

In Canada we learned these and many other quaint measures in school,
only to abandon them in favor of metric almost a generation ago. It
hasn't quite taken and as a result we are a very confused people.

--
.^.^. Dan Razzell <raz...@cs.ubc.ca>
. o o . Laboratory for Computational Intelligence

Tim Horvath

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

In article <3405A8...@servtech.com>, georg hawks
<theg...@servtech.com> wrote:

[snip]

> The US does follow the formula 4 oz = 1 cup, 2 cups = 1 pint, 2 pints =
> 1 quart, and 4 quarts = 1 gallon.

Actually, 8 oz = 1 cup. The rest is correct.

Tim
tim-dot-horvath-at-pobox-dot-tbe-dot-com

Mark T A Nesdoly

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Here you go, straight from the conversion utility on my HP calculator:

1 US Gallon = 3.785 litres
1 UK Gallon = 4.546 litres = 1 Canadian Gallon

If the is book published in North America, it probably refers to the US
gallon.

-- Mark

Remove the obvious insertion in my email address to reply.

Joel Stave

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Jacques Gauthier wrote:

> I read in my Webster dictionnary that there is 4.54 liters in a Gallon.
> In the Grocery store this week, I saw a big jug of Arizona Ice tea that
> was a 3.78 liter bottle and on it was written: 1 Gallon.
>
> I am assuming that one is a U.S gallon and the other is a British Gallon.

Right. The US gallon is 3.78 and the British (Imperial) is 4.54 liters -- I have
no idea why.

> I am curious as to which one is most likely to be used when reading
> books on beer/winemaking as there is a big difference in the quantities.

In my experience, it depends on where the book was written. Most of my books
(which were written in the US) specify US gallons. The couple I have that were
written (or at least published) in England use Imperial gallons.

--
Joel Stave
st...@ctron.com

Tom Shaw

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97
to mtn...@engr.usask.ca

Mark T A Nesdoly wrote:

> Here you go, straight from the conversion utility on my HP calculator:
>
> 1 US Gallon = 3.785 litres
> 1 UK Gallon = 4.546 litres = 1 Canadian Gallon
>
> If the is book published in North America, it probably refers to the US
> gallon.
>
> -- Mark

Thank God somebody finally answered the man's question.
Tom Shaw

Dave Draper

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

I just LOVE this thread, because it shows how bloody silly the entire
screwed-up-British-engineering system of weights and measures is.
Metric is the only way to go, folks, all you have to be able to do is
divide or multiply by ten!

And before I get jumped on: I am an American who learned to live with
Real Units by living overseas for five years, so I am not just
engaging in US-bashing. Yes, it does take a little effort to start
thinking in kilograms and litres, but not that much at all, and once
that's done, no more unit-conversion headaches, ever.

Cheers,

Dave in Dallas
Dave Draper, ddraper...@utdallas.edu
WWW: hbd.org/~ddraper
Remove the .nospam to email

Craig Gregoire

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

> sense; yes, it will happen eventually; no, we won't do it all at once.

I have a different opinion. If you really think about it, converting as
quickly as possible would be the least painless way to go. I think
switching at once, there will be enough awarness (people talking, news
shows teaching) thats the conversion would be fairly painless.

'Not doing it all at once' is just good old fashioned procratination.

Tom Shaw

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97
to Craig Gregoire
It is not procratination it is money. Convert all calibrated machine
tools, measuring devices including gas station pumps, all fabricated
parts, all lumber sizes, all blueprints for all of the above, etc. etc.
etc. Also stock parts in both sizes for several years unless you
suggest throwing everything away that is build to English dimensions.
It only took me a couple of minutes to think of these implications.
While we are at it we should invent a metric for time also so people
wouldn't have to put up with those ridiculous intervals like 60 seconds
per minute, 60 minutes per hour, 12 hours per day, 7 days per week, 52
weeks per year, 29,30, or 31 days per month, and 12 months per year. All
these silly numbers are stupid, right? Would that satisfy your craving
for simplification?
It is too bad that winemakers have to put up with the rocket science of
volumetric conversion.

Tom Shaw

John Aldrich

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

Hello All!

Thursday August 28 1997 12:32, theg...@servtech.com wrote to All:
t> The US does follow the formula 4 oz = 1 cup, 2 cups = 1 pint, 2 pints =
t> 1 quart, and 4 quarts = 1 gallon.

Correction: EIGHT ounces to the cup....not 4. Otherwise correct. A Pint is 16
Oz, a Qt=32OZ and 1 GL=128OZ.
John
... "Wreeee, Snort!" <BAM><BAM><BAM> P-chan fleeing from Kei

Andy McKellar

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

Craig Gregoire <roac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<3407FF78...@ix.netcom.com>...

> > sense; yes, it will happen eventually; no, we won't do it all at once.
>
> I have a different opinion. If you really think about it, converting as
> quickly as possible would be the least painless way to go. I think
> switching at once, there will be enough awarness (people talking, news
> shows teaching) thats the conversion would be fairly painless.
>
> 'Not doing it all at once' is just good old fashioned procratination.

So, what's your point :-)? There are a *LOT* of procrastinators around, and
some of them have strong voices in such matters.

I don't really disagree with you, but I hold to my prediction: we won't do
it all at once.

Craig Gregoire

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

Tom Shaw wrote:

> It is not procratination it is money. Convert all calibrated machine
> tools, measuring devices including gas station pumps, all fabricated
> parts, all lumber sizes, all blueprints for all of the above, etc.
> etc.
> etc. Also stock parts in both sizes for several years unless you
> suggest throwing everything away that is build to English dimensions.
> It only took me a couple of minutes to think of these implications.
> While we are at it we should invent a metric for time also so people
> wouldn't have to put up with those ridiculous intervals like 60
> seconds
> per minute, 60 minutes per hour, 12 hours per day, 7 days per week, 52
>
> weeks per year, 29,30, or 31 days per month, and 12 months per year.
> All
> these silly numbers are stupid, right? Would that satisfy your
> craving
> for simplification?
> It is too bad that winemakers have to put up with the rocket science
> of
> volumetric conversion.
>
> Tom Shaw

As for gas pumps, machine tools, manufacturing equipment, and so forth
- most (as you may have noticed) are digitally controlled and should be
recilibrated to metric fairly simply through program changes. But then
of course we'd have to get used to reading liters instead of gallons and
centimeters instead of inches which as I can see from most of teh posts
would be just too hard for most people.

nospa...@huron.net

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

"Andy McKellar" <mcke...@airmail.net> wrote:

And when it does happen, there'll be a mixture of both for a LONG
time.
Here in Canada, we've been *officially* converted to metric for
almost a generation now but, when you go to the lumber yard and
buy some studs, they're still 2x4s. Buy a sheet of what used to
be 1/2 inch plywood and it's a mixture, 4 ft. wide, 8 ft. long,
but, 12 mm thick. Now, 12 mm is just a hair less than 1/2 inch so
it's a sloppy fit in that dado you cut with your old 1/2" router
bit :-(. Meanwhile, a new 12 mm router bit is twice as expensive
as a new 1/2" bit.
Prices at the butcher shop for metric unit priced meats impacted
their sales big time. $7.99 per pound for NY strip steaks sounds
bad enough but when you see it priced at $17. 60 per Kg., you
think 'no way I'll pay that', and buy hamburger instead.
The conversion was a windfall for the oil companies. It made the
unit price at the pumps nice and low so that bumping it up a
penny or two on a regular basis doesn't elicit too much
grumbling. Right now, gas in my area is 62.9 cents a liter. 62.9
cents doesn't sound too bad does it? But, that makes it $2.86 a
gallon which is highway robbery (pun intended).
Lots of other examples.
Minor rant mode <off>.

ObBrewing/Winemaking: Metric is a superb system for these
hobbies. A breeze to scale up or down for any batch size. Much
finer control of ingredient additions. No worry about whether the
units are US or Imperial. A gram is a gram and a liter is a liter
wherever you are.
Cheers,

Ross Reid,
Branchton, Ontario.
If you don't homebrew, at least support your local microbrewer.
PLEASE READ: Unsolicited junk email is unwelcome.
To reply, remove <nospam> prefix from Reply To field in header.

Tom Shaw

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97
to Craig Gregoire
"Recilibrating" a gasoline pump will be a lot more costly than you
think...and what makes you think software changes are cheap? I dont
think you know what you are talking about, sir. And what is a "teh"
post?

Tom Shaw

Marc Shapiro

Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97

Jacques,

Both Imperial and US gallons are used, depending on which book you
read. Metrics are sometimes used in books, as well. I am currently
working on a Javascript web page that will do all of these conversions
for you (volume, weight, temperature, and proof). It will also do
hydrometer corrections for temperature and have conversions from SG,
proof and alcohol content to amount of sugar in the gallon (U.S. or
Imperial). I will also be adding gyle computations for the brewers out
there. The page is almost done. I will post when I have it finished
and uploaded.

HTH

Wassail!
--
Marc Shapiro mn.sh...@mindspring.com

Visit 'The Meadery' at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mn.shapiro1/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1265/index.html

"If you drink melomel every day, you will live to be 150 years old,
unless your wife shoots you."
--Dr. Ferenc Androczi, Winemaker of the Little Hungary Winery

Colin Durrans

Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97

On 30 Aug 1997 04:46:03 GMT, "Andy McKellar" <mcke...@airmail.net>
wrote:

>Dave Draper <ddraper...@utdallas.edu> wrote in article
><3406f496...@news.utdallas.edu>...

>> I just LOVE this thread, because it shows how bloody silly the entire
>> screwed-up-British-engineering system of weights and measures is.
>> Metric is the only way to go, folks, all you have to be able to do is
>> divide or multiply by ten!
>>
>> And before I get jumped on: I am an American who learned to live with
>> Real Units by living overseas for five years, so I am not just
>> engaging in US-bashing. Yes, it does take a little effort to start
>> thinking in kilograms and litres, but not that much at all, and once
>> that's done, no more unit-conversion headaches, ever.
>>

>There's more to it than just ease of computation; there's also all the
>hassle and expense of converting -- rewriting engineering reference books,
>updating regulations, replacing expensive instruments... Yes it makes

>sense; yes, it will happen eventually; no, we won't do it all at once.

I hate to add to this, but as a British Engineer I use Metric or SI
units. The only time I use imperial measure is while cooking &
brewing. As an unfortunate person I grew up with both systems while
metrication was (is) going on.

As to engineering text books I find most of the ones I use are metric,
even the American Machineries Handbook has the metric equivalents
along side any equations show. If you keep your units right most
equations don't mind which system you use.

The differences in what size a gallon is, I believe, routed in the
British Navy. I'm told that the American Gallon is based on the naval
gallon (3.78 litres) which allowed for some watering down (of the Rum)
to the proper gallon (4.54 litres). (Tho' someone will pick fault no
doubt & I'll have to go find my source for the story).

Best Regards
Colin.
York - UK

I still swear that apple juice is apple juice and that cider is
alcohol! (Unless of course your American)

3rd York Chock Fe(a)st 24th Jan 1998
http://www.york.ac.uk/~rfs1/yjf/

Jim Watson

Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97

Ah yes, but a pint of beer is still a pint! 20 ounces. A nice handful!

Jim
Mississauga, Ontario

Gene Nygaard

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

In article <34088473...@news.force9.net>,
c...@NOSPAM.virtual.force9.co.uk (Colin Durrans) wrote:

> The differences in what size a gallon is, I believe, routed in the
> British Navy. I'm told that the American Gallon is based on the naval
> gallon (3.78 litres) which allowed for some watering down (of the Rum)
> to the proper gallon (4.54 litres). (Tho' someone will pick fault no
> doubt & I'll have to go find my source for the story).

When you look it up, try to get an explanation of how Queen Anne's wine
gallon (fixed at 231 cubic inches in the 5th year of her reign; 1706 or
1707?) was invented to allow watering down of the "proper" gallon which
didn't even exist for another 120 years (1824 or 1826?).

Gene Nygaard
#===#===#===#===#===#===#===#===#===#===#===#===#===#===
| The wine gallon, whether of 224 or 231 cubic inches, may
| be altogether disregarded, as concerning, principally,
| the mercantile and the wealthy, the least numerous part
| of the society, and the most capable of reducing one
| measure to another by calculation. This gallon is
| little used among the mass of farmers, whose chief
| habits and interests are in the size of the corn bushel.
| --U.S. Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson, 1790

Tim & Carol Feltes

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

Howdy!
Just my $.02 on the subject. I agree metric's an easier system, once
you understand it. However, if you're raised w/ feet & inches, etc., you
will forever be converting it in your mind to the familiar. Also, our roads
are laid out generally in square miles, which leads to sections, acres, the
whole system of land ownership is based on that system. Should we change
all that to accomodate the rest of the world? It's the same with all of our
other basic systems. I've had to work with metric units in my job, and you
just do what you need to do to get the job done, no big deal. But you still
generally think in the terms you were raised with. So I propose that
whoever wants to export, operate globally, whatever, do what you need to do
to get the job done, it's pretty easy. But to change the whole way of life
of a nation with a snap of the fingers will never happen, so let's just
look at it as the variety that is the spice of life. Makes it fun! Timo

Alan McKay

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

nospa...@huron.net wrote:

> Here in Canada, we've been *officially* converted to metric for
> almost a generation now but, when you go to the lumber yard and
> buy some studs, they're still 2x4s. Buy a sheet of what used to

And then theres the 12 oz softdrinks at fast food places ...

> Prices at the butcher shop for metric unit priced meats impacted
> their sales big time. $7.99 per pound for NY strip steaks sounds
> bad enough but when you see it priced at $17. 60 per Kg., you
> think 'no way I'll pay that', and buy hamburger instead.

If butchers had half a brain they'd advertise (as in Germany)
$1.76 / 100g

> grumbling. Right now, gas in my area is 62.9 cents a liter. 62.9
> cents doesn't sound too bad does it? But, that makes it $2.86 a
> gallon which is highway robbery (pun intended).

Unless you come from (again) Germany, where gas is $1.20 CDN or so
per litre. We in Canada don't seem to realize that we've got some
pretty cheap gas prices here when compared to just about anyone
except the USA. Even compared with them, it isn't that awfully bad.

> ObBrewing/Winemaking: Metric is a superb system for these
> hobbies. A breeze to scale up or down for any batch size. Much
> finer control of ingredient additions. No worry about whether the
> units are US or Imperial. A gram is a gram and a liter is a liter
> wherever you are.

As long as you can find someone who uses it :-)

-Alan

--
Alan McKay Nortel Technologies
Norstar Team amckay at nortel dot ca

Dan Razzell

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

In article <340967BC...@ix.netcom.com>,
Craig Gregoire <roac...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> But then of course we'd have to get used to reading liters instead of
> gallons and centimeters instead of inches which as I can see from most

> of the posts would be just too hard for most people.

Even more fundamental is a problem I often see in postings here where
the poster has not been able to distinguish between quantity and
concentration. For example, somebody asks "Are 5 Camden [sic] tablets
too much?" but neglects to state the quantity of wine being discussed.
Whether it reflects a misunderstanding or just imprecise reasoning, such
an oversight must lead to many expensive disasters in winemaking, all
easily avoided.

If we could help people could get past this basic conceptual block, I would
be surprised if matters such as measurement conversion would end up being
nearly as difficult.

Dan Parker

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

Craig Gregoire <roac...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<3407FF78...@ix.netcom.com>...
> > sense; yes, it will happen eventually; no, we won't do it all at once.
>
> I have a different opinion. If you really think about it, converting as
> quickly as possible would be the least painless way to go. I think
> switching at once, there will be enough awarness (people talking, news
> shows teaching) thats the conversion would be fairly painless.
>
> 'Not doing it all at once' is just good old fashioned procratination.

The "least painless"? This would then be the "most painful". Are you
proposing a switch not only from English units of measure, but the English
language as well?

==
== Remove "_antispam" from my e-mail address to respond.
==

Don Buchan

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

>> I am assuming that one is a U.S gallon and the other is a British Gallon.
>
>Right. The US gallon is 3.78 and the British (Imperial) is 4.54 liters -- I
have
>no idea why.

I heard that the Americans wanted to make things as different as possible
from British example after that Tea Party in Boston ... so among other things
(such as governmental system etc.,) they changed around the values of the
measurement system.

----------
Don Buchan ma...@pobox.com http://www.pobox.com/~malak/ From there:
Winemaking linx & FTP, rec.crafts.winemaking FAQ, Missing Link Rovers
(Mtl Que Can), firstarter FAQ, Scouting FTP & Super Scout(er), Star Trek
linx & FTP, Help Stop Spam, Zee Svedish Cheff, Summer Camp selection

Dave Draper

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

On 2 Sep 1997 04:00:11 GMT, "Tim & Carol Feltes" <tim...@ivnet.com>
wrote:

>Howdy!
> Just my $.02 on the subject. I agree metric's an easier system, once
>you understand it. However, if you're raised w/ feet & inches, etc., you
>will forever be converting it in your mind to the familiar. Also, our roads

No you won't. I am just such a person-- born and raised in the US,
then spent 5 years overseas immersed in metric, starting at age 31.
Upon my return to the US and Screwed-up-British-engineering units (no
offense, Ian in York! *grin*), I now have to struggle to convert the
inches, ounces (fluid or dry???), and gallons back to metric so I can
make some sense of it.

As a caveat, I am a scientist and I do *everything* in metric, so
perhaps it was easier for me to make the switch in the first place.

Bill Crick

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

4.64 litres per Imperial Gallon?

What kind of gallon? US, Imperial, metric?

Bill Crick
Brewius, Ergo SI!

Marc Shapiro

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

Marc Shapiro wrote:

> ... I am currently

> working on a Javascript web page that will do all of these conversions
> for you (volume, weight, temperature, and proof). It will also do
> hydrometer corrections for temperature and have conversions from SG,
> proof and alcohol content to amount of sugar in the gallon (U.S. or
> Imperial). I will also be adding gyle computations for the brewers out
> there.

The page is up and can be reached from either of the URLs below. Just
take the "Calculate" link to get to the right page. In addition to the
calculations I mentioned above, it also does 'Pearson's Square'
calculations to determine the proportions of fortifying spirits or water
to add to adjust the alcohol content to a desired amount. It also
handles the reverse, letting you know what the adjusted alcohol is if
you have already added a known quantity of water or spirits.

If there are any other calculations or conversions that you would like
to see just let me know. If I can do them I will.

Uncle Bob

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

How many litres in a Gallon?
Well make it easier for yourself, forget being so accurate.
Think that if you get (usually almost) six bottles of wine from a gallon demijohn
(forgive me if this isn't familiar to you, but I honestly don't know if it's a
British thing or what), then a gallon is approx. 700ml x 6 = 4.2 litres. I know
that the usual rough measurement is 4.5, but this is a good estimate.
Afterall, who ever gets the full amount of bottles out of a quantity of wine?
Lose some in the lees, then some gets 'accidentally' consumed in syphoning, then
a bottle goes missing (Just to see what it is like before maturing!). So why are
we being so accurate all of a sudden? Forget metric, forget imperial, lets stick
to a demijohn and a bottle!

Christian Emond

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

Dan Parker wrote:

> Dave Draper <ddraper...@utdallas.edu> wrote in article
> <340d9ee0...@news.utdallas.edu>...

> > As a caveat, I am a scientist and I do *everything* in metric, so
> > perhaps it was easier for me to make the switch in the first place.
> >
> > Cheers, Dave in Dallas
>
> Hey...was that you with the "Scientists Do It In Metric" bumper sticker I
> saw the other day? ;-)

> ==
> == Remove "_antispam" from my e-mail address to respond.
> ==
>
> 1 American gal. = 3.785 L.
1 Imperial gal. = 4.545 L.

(wino)

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97
to a000...@nospamairmail.net

I think everyone on the planet has had enough replys to this innane
question.
YES !!!

Dave Draper

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

On 5 Sep 1997 14:37:26 GMT, "Dan Parker"
<dan_parke...@sterling.com> wrote:

>Dave Draper <ddraper...@utdallas.edu> wrote in article
><340d9ee0...@news.utdallas.edu>...
>
>> As a caveat, I am a scientist and I do *everything* in metric, so
>> perhaps it was easier for me to make the switch in the first place.
>>
>> Cheers, Dave in Dallas
>
>Hey...was that you with the "Scientists Do It In Metric" bumper sticker I
>saw the other day? ;-)

No, but I wish it was!

Jeff Kane

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Dan Parker (dan_parke...@sterling.com) wrote:
: Hey...was that you with the "Scientists Do It In Metric" bumper sticker I

: saw the other day? ;-)

At first, I started to dissagree, 'cause I'd rather have 6 inches than 6 cm,
but then I thought about the conversion, (which is likely wrong) and decided
that 6 inches did not sound as good as 15 cm!

8{)

Good beer to all ... And to all a good beer.
--
Jeff Kane-KB9QQE http://www.execpc.com/~jkane mailto:jk...@execpc.com
Sysop - Home Brew University BBS Brew City Campus 414-238-9074