OT - British TV

Teleflora

Feb 27, 2010, 5:10:15 PM2/27/10
hulu.com has opened up a whole new world for me in TV land. I'm discovering
really good television DOES exist, unfortunately, a lot of it is produced in
Great Britain and not easily accessed here in the States.

I've watched every available episode of Wire in the Blood and Doc Martin.

Can any of you Brits recommend any other series that I might be on the
lookout for at Hulu?

The only downside is that my vocabulary has gotten rather, um, colorful.
I'm kind of schizophrenic that way.

Cindy

Kate XXXXXX

Feb 27, 2010, 5:47:01 PM2/27/10

Hehehehe...

You might like to look out for:

Silent Witness (about a team of forensic scientists)
Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes (weird police drama)
Midsomer Murders
Law and Order

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Teleflora

Feb 27, 2010, 6:15:01 PM2/27/10

"Kate XXXXXX" <ka...@diceyhome.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message

> Silent Witness (about a team of forensic scientists)
> Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes (weird police drama)
> Midsomer Murders
> Law and Order

Ooo! Thanks, Kate! I'm starting a list.

Wait - is that YOUR Law & Order or MY Law & Order?

Cindy

Steven Cook

Feb 27, 2010, 6:38:35 PM2/27/10
If you want a really good laugh look up old episodes of Keeping up
Appearances. Hyacinth is just too much as are her sisters.

Love Midsomer Murders

Steven
Alaska

"Teleflora" <tele...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

amy in CNY

Feb 27, 2010, 7:02:55 PM2/27/10
On Feb 27, 6:38 pm, "Steven Cook" <stevenc...@gci.net> wrote:
> If you want a really good laugh look up old episodes of Keeping up
> Appearances.  Hyacinth is just too much as are her sisters.

I just LOVE Hyacinth! ("Sherrrriiiiddannnnn")

Love "MI-5" !

and "As time goes by"

gotta love PBS!

amy in CNY

Michelle C.

Feb 27, 2010, 7:46:52 PM2/27/10
LOL! You mean Mrs. Bucket? ;-)

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada
http://thedesertquilter.blogspot.com/

Sally Swindells

Feb 27, 2010, 8:10:59 PM2/27/10
I had a quick look through and couldn't actually find very many UK series.

I did find The Camomile Lawn - a drama in 5 parts set in the 1940s
flashing forward to the 1980s, not a very recent one, but good.
Kingdom, which is set in the County just north of me (Norfolk), with
Stephen Fry playing a solicitor
and the original UK version of the Office.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Teleflora

Feb 27, 2010, 9:01:38 PM2/27/10
Yes, I enjoyed what I saw of Kingdom. I'm hoping they get more episodes.
The woman who plays his sister was also in the first season or 2 of Wire in
the Blood. She's very good.

I really enjoyed the scenery in Kingdom. You're very lucky to live in such
beautiful country. I was astonished at the beauty of Cornwall (?) in Doc
Martin, as well.

It's just gorgeous, innit?

:-)

Cindy

"Sally Swindells" <sally_s...@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message

J*

Feb 27, 2010, 9:36:06 PM2/27/10
i love Doc Martin show too.
we get that followed by the latest version of Reggie Perrin with the same
actor in the lead role.
oh, i wonder if rising damp or reggie perrin is on that site.
off to look thru it more thoroughly (sp?).
j.

"Teleflora" wrote ...

NightMist

Feb 27, 2010, 9:37:33 PM2/27/10
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:01:38 -0600, Teleflora wrote:

> Yes, I enjoyed what I saw of Kingdom. I'm hoping they get more
> episodes. The woman who plays his sister was also in the first season or
> 2 of Wire in the Blood. She's very good.
>
> I really enjoyed the scenery in Kingdom. You're very lucky to live in
> such beautiful country. I was astonished at the beauty of Cornwall (?)
> in Doc Martin, as well.

I watched what they had of Kingdom as well. I also hope they can get
more. I am a bit of a fan of Mr. Fry, though he is rather often in a lot
of parrot jokes at my house of late. (G)

I have more or less resigned myself to ordering my favorite shows from
Britain on DVD. Though the British television people seem to be as odd
about releasing shows onto DVD for region one as they are about sending
them west to PBS stations. I swear I am going to get a region free dvd
player, or figure out how to make the one I have region free.
It seems expensive at a glance, but then you realize that you can get an
entire season of the new series Doctor Who for the price of a month's
worth of cable. Now if we can just shake the other 20 odd years worth of
The Doctor, or at least what they haven't misplaced, out of the BBC in
seasonal format!

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

Teleflora

Feb 27, 2010, 9:54:37 PM2/27/10

"NightMist" <night...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I watched what they had of Kingdom as well. I also hope they can get
> more. I am a bit of a fan of Mr. Fry, though he is rather often in a lot
> of parrot jokes at my house of late. (G)

I got DD an alarm clock for Christmas. Mr Fry's voice wakes her every
morning saying Mr Fryish things.

> I have more or less resigned myself to ordering my favorite shows from
> Britain on DVD.

I've requested the whole Upstairs/Downstairs series on DVD. I finally found
it in a Signals catalogue, I believe.

Cindy

Jennifer in Ottawa

Feb 27, 2010, 10:08:22 PM2/27/10
Hi Cindy - we get quite a lot of UK tv shows here in Canada - here's
my list: A Touch of Frost (movies), Dalziel&Pascoe, Inspector Lynley
series, Silent Witness, Waking the Dead, Prime Suspect, MI5 or Spooks,
Doc Martin, Freedom, Heartbeat, Criminal Justice, Law&Order UK (I love
the theme music to their series), Wire in the Blood (waiting for the
latest series to appear on Showcase), Hustle, Midsomer Murders, The
Street, the comedies are numerous but I'm not a lover of 30min sitcoms
- other than Keeping up Appearances, of course. I've probably
forgotten more shows over the years - some are quite ancient now but
always worth watching again. jennellh

Teleflora

Feb 27, 2010, 10:33:48 PM2/27/10

"Jennifer in Ottawa" <jenn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi Cindy - we get quite a lot of UK tv shows here in Canada - here's
> my list: A Touch of Frost (movies), Dalziel&Pascoe, Inspector Lynley
> series, Silent Witness, Waking the Dead, Prime Suspect, MI5 or Spooks,
> Doc Martin, Freedom, Heartbeat, Criminal Justice, Law&Order UK (I love
> the theme music to their series), Wire in the Blood (waiting for the
> latest series to appear on Showcase), Hustle, Midsomer Murders, The
> Street, the comedies are numerous but I'm not a lover of 30min sitcoms
> - other than Keeping up Appearances, of course. I've probably
> forgotten more shows over the years - some are quite ancient now but
> always worth watching again. jennellh

Thanks, Jen~ more to add to the list. They get new shows all the time.
I'll know what to watch for now. Yeah, I'm not much for the comedies
either. British OR American. Although I woke DH up the other night laughing
at something on Doc Martin.

Cindy

J*

Feb 27, 2010, 10:49:33 PM2/27/10
faulty towers has its moments.
j.

Kate XXXXXX

Feb 28, 2010, 1:04:50 AM2/28/10
Ours.

And our original The Office with Ricky Gervause - if you can stand it.
I can't.

Kate XXXXXX

Feb 28, 2010, 1:07:07 AM2/28/10
They are out on the web in places...

Kate XXXXXX

Feb 28, 2010, 1:07:48 AM2/28/10
Look for Elizabrth R with Glenda Jackson.

edna

Feb 28, 2010, 3:27:30 AM2/28/10
How about Rosemary & Thyme which is showing on our cable TV at present.

I wouldn't want to hire them to do my garden though, someone is murdered
every episode.

Heartbeat also, my husband's favourite.

Then there was Lilies which I loved.

Edna in Sydney

Teleflora

Feb 28, 2010, 4:02:18 AM2/28/10

> And our original The Office with Ricky Gervause - if you can stand it. I
> can't.

I can't stand our version at all. It's embarrassing for me to watch.

Cindy

Teleflora

Feb 28, 2010, 4:08:22 AM2/28/10
Oh well, John Cleese and the whole Monty Python trip have their own thing
goin on.

"Dinsdale, He was a nice boy... He nailed my head to a coffee table."

Cindy

"J*" <fancyf...@ribbit.com> wrote in message

Lizzy Taylor

Feb 28, 2010, 5:48:38 AM2/28/10
Sally Swindells wrote:
> I did find The Camomile Lawn - a drama in 5 parts set in the 1940s
> flashing forward to the 1980s, not a very recent one, but good.

Ooh, I remember that - it was indeed very good and a very dramatic sound
track that featured Ravel's String Quartet.

Lizzy

Sally Swindells

Feb 28, 2010, 7:15:24 AM2/28/10
Don't think anyone's mentioned Inspector Morse. A classic series with
lots of scenery and lovely background music too.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Sally Swindells

Feb 28, 2010, 7:22:41 AM2/28/10
Ooops, sent too soon. Was also going to suggest Larkrise to Candleford
(series 3 now showing on UK tv) and Cranford. Both made Sunday evening
TV really non-missable. Both gentle costume dramas - no bad language and
bringing either a tear to the eye or a smile to the face.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Jennifer in Ottawa

Feb 28, 2010, 9:01:15 AM2/28/10
I remember Morse too - also the Inspector Lewis series. I can't
remember the name of the other John Thaw series in which he played a
QC - there were a lot of those episodes.
I also love to watch Martin Shaw in anything - especially, Judge John
Deed - that was excellent tv! The Ruth Rendell stories that were
televised as various series are also worth looking out for. jennellh

On Feb 28, 7:15 am, Sally Swindells

<sally_swinde...@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:
> Don't think anyone's mentioned Inspector Morse. A classic series with
> lots of scenery and lovely background music too.
>

> Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ukhttp://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

> Teleflora wrote:
> > Oh well, John Cleese and the whole Monty Python trip have their own
> > thing goin on.
>
> > "Dinsdale, He was a nice boy... He nailed my head to a coffee table."
>
> > Cindy
>

> > "J*" <fancyfrog...@ribbit.com> wrote in message

> >> faulty towers has its moments.

> >> j.- Hide quoted text -

Megwen

Feb 28, 2010, 9:13:50 AM2/28/10
Kavanagh QC was the other series with John Thaw.

Megwen
Bath, England

"Jennifer in Ottawa" <jenn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

NightMist

Feb 28, 2010, 12:41:17 PM2/28/10

Yet it is infinitely better than what the american networks did to "Man
About The House". I had watched that a few times on Canadian TV. Even
though it was never a show I would go out of my way to catch, it was
something I wouldn't mind having on for company when I was doing
something mindless. When I saw the american version (Three's Company) I
all but ran screaming from the room.

Sandy E

Feb 28, 2010, 7:10:52 PM2/28/10
Howdy!

This reminds me of watching "Bonanza". Loved the show, esp. Hoss,
but figured out as a kid, "I don't want to live next door to the Cartwrights
on the Ponderosa Ranch; someone they know always ends up dead." <g>

R/Sandy

On 2/28/10 2:27 AM, in article

Teleflora

Mar 1, 2010, 1:46:18 AM3/1/10
I found Chamomile Lawn and have watched the first 2 episodes... I've got to
ask - This was on the telly? Not at the theatre? Bit shocking. Quite a
lot of very adult ... situations. Full frontal nudity? We've got people
who would blow up the tv studios if they dared show something like that.

A very young, very blonde Jennifer Ehle, behaving very un-Elizabeth
Bennet-ish.

It's quite good, but like I said, it's kind of hard to get used to. I'm
also embarrassed that we have become such prudes that this stuff shocked me.

I hope Hulu continues to try to bring more series to their service.

I'd even pay for this.

I'm going to hold onto the list I've started and recheck regularly.

Cindy

Kate XXXXXX

Mar 1, 2010, 4:15:02 AM3/1/10
Teleflora wrote:
> I found Chamomile Lawn and have watched the first 2 episodes... I've got
> to ask - This was on the telly? Not at the theatre? Bit shocking.
> Quite a lot of very adult ... situations. Full frontal nudity? We've
> got people who would blow up the tv studios if they dared show something
> like that.
>
> A very young, very blonde Jennifer Ehle, behaving very un-Elizabeth
> Bennet-ish.
>
> It's quite good, but like I said, it's kind of hard to get used to. I'm
> also embarrassed that we have become such prudes that this stuff shocked
> me.

It was on after the watershed (9:00pm) on Sunday evenings. Fairly
typical adaptation of that sort of work. Have you read the book? As I
remember, it was a fairly close adaptation.

> I hope Hulu continues to try to bring more series to their service.
>
> I'd even pay for this.
>
> I'm going to hold onto the list I've started and recheck regularly.
>
> Cindy

Lizzy Taylor

Mar 1, 2010, 4:40:07 AM3/1/10
Teleflora wrote:
> I found Chamomile Lawn and have watched the first 2 episodes... I've got
> to ask - This was on the telly? Not at the theatre? Bit shocking.
> Quite a lot of very adult ... situations. Full frontal nudity? We've
> got people who would blow up the tv studios if they dared show something
> like that.

Shown after the 9pm watershed - when more adult themed stuff is shown.
Full frontal female is deemed acceptable after that time as long as it
is not gratuitous. On this side of the pond we are much more hung up on
gratuitous violence than adult activities.

> A very young, very blonde Jennifer Ehle, behaving very un-Elizabeth
> Bennet-ish.
>
> It's quite good, but like I said, it's kind of hard to get used to. I'm
> also embarrassed that we have become such prudes that this stuff shocked
> me.

The book was pretty adult too, as were her other books. By all accounts
she was writing from experience!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Wesley

Lizzy

Sally Swindells

Mar 1, 2010, 10:20:54 AM3/1/10
Book was by Mary Wesley. Apparently she didn't start to write until she
was about 70. I think I've read all her books.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Kay Ahr

Feb 19, 2011, 3:47:44 PM2/19/11
YES!! Here in Reno, Hyacinth is with us every Saturday night!

--
Kay Ahr in Reno/Sparks Nevada USA

"Steven Cook" <steve...@gci.net> wrote in message
> If you want a really good laugh look up old episodes of Keeping up
> Appearances. Hyacinth is just too much as are her sisters.
>
> Love Midsomer Murders
>
> Steven
> Alaska

amy in SoCal

Feb 19, 2011, 8:52:48 PM2/19/11
On Feb 19, 12:47 pm, "Kay Ahr" <kay...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> YES!!  Here in Reno, Hyacinth is with us every Saturday night!

Here, too! I just love her and the trouble she gets herself into! And
will we
EVER get to meet Sheridan??? LOL
I record that one, As Time Goes By and Lawrence Welk
also record MI-5...never miss any episodes of these, life would
be wrong without them!
amy in SoCal

Bonnie Patterson

Feb 21, 2011, 10:40:56 AM2/21/11
We have them too, Jim bought me the complete "As Time Goes By" series,
and then I got into "Doc Martin" the last show was the birth of
"Louisa's" baby. Are there any More? Oh I hope so!
Bonnie, in Middletown, VA