Survey about Quilters

Sunni12

Mar 13, 2001, 9:40:15 PM3/13/01
I read an article in a quilting magazine about results of a poll they took
about quilters. I dont know how they picked their respondants, or how many
people were polled.

But according to the poll, the average quilter is 50 or over, machine quilts,
spends about $115/year on quilting and spends about 10.5 hours a week quilting.

I always knew I wasnt normal, or average! I'm under 50. Hand sew the top and
hand quilt. As I'm a beginner even buying stuff at half price sales I'm sure
I'll spend over $115 this year (averaging about $5/week so far- and I thought I
was being very frugal) And I'm sure the weekly quilting time will very hugely
week to week for me.

Am I still allowed to quilt?

-Sunny

Kathy Riley

Mar 13, 2001, 10:02:52 PM3/13/01
>I'll spend over $115 this year (averaging about $5/week so far- and I thought
>was being very frugal) And I'm sure the weekly quilting time will very hugely
>week to week for me.
>
>Am I still allowed to quilt?

No....you are not. Therefore you should send all of your now useless fabric to
ME......<hehehehe>

Kathy......who loves pulling a leg or two in Holbrook, NY 8)

"Work like you don't need money, love like you've never been hurt....and dance
like no one's watching !"

Susan Ford

Mar 13, 2001, 11:22:28 PM3/13/01
Where on earth did they get the $115 a year figure?
I've seen ladies drop four times that much in a sitting
an not bat an eye. I've spent that much just this week,
I think (maybe more). Coming back in after a long dry
spell I HAD to have some s.e.x.

Susan

Jenny

Mar 14, 2001, 12:21:08 AM3/14/01
Maybe it's how much they tell their DH that they spent.

Jenny

"Susan Ford" <susa...@slackford.norman.ok.us> wrote in message

orca

Mar 13, 2001, 10:49:35 PM3/13/01
No. You must wait until you're 50.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
Sunni12 <sun...@aol.com> wrote in message

Tiggrrr

Mar 14, 2001, 1:49:39 AM3/14/01

"Susan Ford" <susa...@slackford.norman.ok.us> wrote in message
> Where on earth did they get the $115 a year figure?
> I've seen ladies drop four times that much in a sitting
> an not bat an eye. I've spent that much just this week,
> I think (maybe more). Coming back in after a long dry
> spell I HAD to have some s.e.x.

I've spent that and then some and not left my house!

Tigg (cyber S*E*X*, ain't it grand! ;) )

Tiggrrr

Mar 14, 2001, 1:51:39 AM3/14/01

"Jenny" <j.f...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Maybe it's how much they tell their DH that they spent.

Am I the only one who doesn't get why some people hide the amount they spend
from the DH's? I mean, won't they find out soon enough anyway? I spent
over $300 one day and came home and told HK right away. Granted, I wasn't
supposed to *buy* anything that day, but sometimes you just can't resist.
He wasn't terribly happy with me, but he wasn't mad either. And he buys me
fabric too, the good stuff at the LQS! ;) Even drives me to the beach so I
can get more! :)

Tigg

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 14, 2001, 3:11:11 AM3/14/01
I hate polls, they always come out with results that make me seem
strange or abnormal and the killer is NO ONE EVER ASKS ME ANY SURVEY
QUESTIONS (sorry for shouting :)

$115 a year on material, that is about £65 - lets see with most material
at £8 a meter, good threads around £3 a spool, new blades at about £3/4
ditto - that a small single quilt each year unless you have a house full
of stash.

I also think I am under 50 but I'm so old now I can't remember.

Kathy Brennand

Mar 14, 2001, 4:12:10 AM3/14/01
YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only one more week to wait until I can become a
quilter.........................

--
Have a great day
Kathy

kat...@wn.com.au

j.hendry4

Mar 14, 2001, 4:44:02 AM3/14/01
I put aside one day a week to sew/quilt, and do a little bit at other odd
times. I'm not sure it adds up to 10 hours though. I am the master of
recycling fabrics and using up the tiniest of scraps, so I probably only
spend about £30 per year on fabrics. I'm 31 and can't really get the hang
of machine quilting, so I do most of it by hand, but I nearly always machine
piece the tops. I have two cats (which I'm sure was in the survey), but am
definitely not a 'cat-person' (never sewed a cat into a quilt in my life!)
(that sounded a bit cruel, but I'm sure you know what I mean). I don't, as
a rule, hold a stash of fabric, I only ever buy when I have a specific
project in mind, although recently I have been planning a 'Jane Austin quilt
which I have no design for, but am collecting traditional fabrics in shades
of pale pink and green.

I'd love to spend more time quilting, and maybe I will when I'm finished
'Tomb Raider The Last Revelation' on my Playstation. I am onto the end of
the last level and it always takes the longest time to do the last little
bit, so I'm deeply frustrated. Then I finish the game and feel empty for a
while. This time, I shall fill in that emptiness with quilting, and
hopefully they'll not bring out any more Tomb Raider games, and I can sew
more.

I've just read that back to myself, and I sound a little mad! Well, I am,
and I'm not ashamed of it. Bernadette will tell you how mad I am. Anyway,
that's pretty much me, apart from I have a DH and a DS (9 months old) and
LOVE making baby quilts for my DS and my two LN's (just made that one up -
Lovely Nieces), and taking part in round robins with all my closest quilting
friends.

Happy quilting

Josie, Aberdeen

Juliette

Mar 14, 2001, 5:36:35 AM3/14/01
In article <tau5935...@corp.supernews.com>, ro...@davidbowie.com
says...

> Am I the only one who doesn't get why some people hide the amount they spend
> from the DH's? I mean, won't they find out soon enough anyway? I spent
> over $300 one day and came home and told HK right away. Granted, I wasn't
> supposed to *buy* anything that day, but sometimes you just can't resist.
> He wasn't terribly happy with me, but he wasn't mad either. And he buys me
> fabric too, the good stuff at the LQS! ;) Even drives me to the beach so I
> can get more! :)

I'm with Ragmop, rustle those bags & hold your head up high. Anyway, in
this household, quilting turns out to be a less expensive hobby than
collecting early British micro-computers!

Juliette
--
By appointment to HM the Red Queen

Juliette

Mar 14, 2001, 5:44:18 AM3/14/01
In article <3AAF27...@bt.com>, bernadette.n...@bt.com
says...

> $115 a year on material, that is about £65 - lets see with most material
> at £8 a meter, good threads around £3 a spool, new blades at about £3/4
> ditto - that a small single quilt each year unless you have a house full
> of stash.

Who did they ask? £65 a year? I can spend that in one go (easily). I
suppose that if I continue at this rate by the time I'm 50 I'll have
loads of stash and every gadget or gizmo any quilter could ever want so
I'll not want to spend much.

I don't really believe that though, there'll always be some new fabric
that I simply *need* or a gadget that I just couldn't live without!

> I also think I am under 50 but I'm so old now I can't remember.

I've got some years to go but I suppose I can be a trainee quilter until
I get my age qualification.

MAmadurk

Mar 14, 2001, 5:52:27 AM3/14/01

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin wrote in message <3AAF27...@bt.com>...

>>$115 a year on material, that is about £65 - lets see with most material
>at £8 a meter, good threads around £3 a spool, new blades at about £3/4
>ditto - that a small single quilt each year unless you have a house full
>of stash.

B--
And it takes 10.5 hours a week to do it--on the machine!!!!

MAmadurk, shaking her head!

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 14, 2001, 6:11:22 AM3/14/01
Yup .... as a hatter, mad that is.

Josie, when are you going to make a Lara Croft quilt - you'd probably
need to buy excess blue material for her top :)!

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 14, 2001, 6:12:58 AM3/14/01
We could be rebels together Juliette and become underground rebel
quilters, defying the old biddies (hermmmm excuse me, over 50s I meant)
and keeping one step of the Quilting Police.

Pat Winters

Mar 14, 2001, 8:10:50 AM3/14/01
Sorry Sunny, you cannot quilt until you
are 50+. You will just have to send your
stash to me. I am over 50 and will
'store' it until you are of legal age.

Howmidoinragmop? PAT in Virginia

nom...@spam.net

Mar 14, 2001, 10:50:47 AM3/14/01
Tigg I don't get it either. DH only ever asks me if I got what I
wanted! As long as I keep us out of the red <he has a thing about
debt... a good thing> he doesn't really care how much $ it costs me,
I am happy he is happy our house is full of quilts. And he really loves
when we give them as gifts too. Christina

Sandy Ellison

Mar 14, 2001, 10:02:12 AM3/14/01
Howdy!
Those quilters from that survey lied,
that's all it could be, lies.

More likely stats are that we range in age
from 15-99 (at 100, you become the Quilting Director
and get to tell everyone else how to do it),
spend about $1400 a year per quilter, take an average
of 5 classes a year (Susan M passes this in one
day in Houston at the Really Big Quilt Show),
has more tops than finished quilts (see, I knew I was
an exception somewhere <g>), and buys an average of
2 magazines and 1 book (quilting) per month.
This is closer to what QNM surveys reveal,
and what I observed from working in the LQS.

Tig, that whole "hide it/sneak it in" process is garbage.
Why would grown women (or men) hide the treasures they've
just acquired.

Juliette's right, rustle those bags, display them proudly;
I hear 2 comments here: "Did you get what you want?"
"Do you need help carrying it in?"
--
Ragmop--live w/ car people; I can never spend as much as they do,
so I never have to explain my effort <G>

"Juliette" <juli...@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message

j.hendry4

Mar 14, 2001, 10:01:56 AM3/14/01
B.

Now, a Lara quilt!!!!????? Hmmmmmmmm. Not something I had thought of, but
maybe worth it. I think of my Ancient Worlds Round Robin Quilt (as gorgeous
as a wonderful Roman tiled floor), as my 'Adventures of Lara' Quilt, you
know, Roman, Aztec, Hebrew, Egyptian, all I need is to finish it off with a
mega-aliens-from-outa-space border and we'd be there.

By the way, to anyone who's interested, I finished Tomb Raider The Last
Revelation at lunchtime. It was a singularly disappointing ending, no
revelation AT ALL, only a vague suggestion that she's dead and that the
baddy is her Dad (hope I haven't spoiled it for anyone there). According to
the counter it took me just over 17 hours, but that's not including all the
times I mucked up and started back from the last save point. When I think
of it, what a waste of my time! How many quilts could I have made in, what
was probably more like, 60 hours?!

Please, if anyone has any contacts at Core or Eidos, ask them, nae, beg them
on my behalf, for the sake of my quilting and my sanity, not to bring out
any more Tomb Raider games. Come to think of it, I was still stuck on the
last level of Tomb Raider III and haven't quite finished it yet.
NOOOOOOOOOOO......... someone save me from myself!!!!!!!!!

Josie, Aberdeen

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin <bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote in
message news:3AAF51...@bt.com...

Kathy Applebaum

Mar 14, 2001, 10:17:42 AM3/14/01
Tiggrrr <ro...@davidbowie.com> wrote:

> Am I the only one who doesn't get why some people hide the amount they spend
> from the DH's? I mean, won't they find out soon enough anyway?

DH and I each have our own "toy" money, so he doesn't care how I spend
mine.

My problem is that DH loves to spend it FOR me! He'll pick out bolts of
fabric at the store at say "wouldn't this look good in something? Maybe
you should get it."

--
Kathy Applebaum
Kayney Quilting (longarm machine quilting)

Kathy Applebaum

Mar 14, 2001, 10:17:39 AM3/14/01
Kathy Riley <katq...@aol.com> wrote:

> Therefore you should send all of your now useless fabric to

EXCELLENT beg! :)

Kathy Applebaum

Mar 14, 2001, 10:17:43 AM3/14/01
Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin <bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote:

> Josie, when are you going to make a Lara Croft quilt - you'd probably
> need to buy excess blue material for her top :)!

I dunno, seems like you *wouldn't* need very much material for her top!
LOL

j.hendry4

Mar 14, 2001, 10:22:16 AM3/14/01

Or indeed her shorts! You would, however, need rather a lot of
skin-coloured fabric, which, if I remember rightly, I procured in a fabric
swap on our Round Robin handover weekend in January.

Watch out for Lara in quilt form!

Josie

Kathy Applebaum <Kayney...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Susan Ford

Mar 14, 2001, 10:42:36 AM3/14/01
Wow Ragmop, much better statistics. I also do not sneak
purchases in. I get the occasional "Find anything
nifty?" or "Can I see?" Micheal just finished leafing
through my newest book, too. He loves bright quilts. He
loved the quilt museum at Paducah. (I still dream of
that Beatles quilt...)

Susan

Susan Ford

Mar 14, 2001, 10:50:58 AM3/14/01
Hmmm why do I hear, in the back of my mind, a line from
"Casablanca". "Vultures, vultures. Vulters everywhere."
(said in a German accent)

What a great movie.

Susan

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 14, 2001, 11:02:45 AM3/14/01
True for the length of the top but the witdh?? Seems to me a wonder
that that girl doesn't keep on falling forwards.

Nbhilyard

Mar 14, 2001, 1:23:00 PM3/14/01
>I read an article in a quilting magazine about results of a poll they took
>about quilters. I dont know how they picked their respondants, or how many
>people were polled.

Hello,
I believe the survey to which you refer is the "Quilting in America 2000"
survey. Quilters Newsletter Magazine had an article about the survey results
in the March '01 issue (pp. 8-9).

The article says that it was a 12-page survey conducted by QNM and the
International Quilt Market & Festival. "For more information abouuth the
survey, contact Tina Battock at Primedia Enthusiast Group, 303-272-1321, or
visit www. quiltersvillage.com"

The article says that quilters spend $1.83 BILLION on supplies and
fabric....that 1.1 million people consider themselves "dedicated" quilters,
"each spending more than $400 annually on quilting." "They estimate the value
of their fabric stashes to average between $2500 to a high of $10,000; these
dedicated quiltes purchased 106.6 million yards of fabric in the last 12 months
for their quilting projects."

Etc., etc....I don't have time to visit the website, but surely someone on RCTQ
will.

Nann in Lindenhurst, Illinois
"I predict a great future for complexity, what with
one thing always leading to another."
--E. B. White

Monica L. Tittle

Mar 14, 2001, 1:31:00 PM3/14/01
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:36:35 GMT, Juliette <juli...@jasmine.org.uk>
wrote:

>I'm with Ragmop, rustle those bags & hold your head up high. Anyway, in
>this household, quilting turns out to be a less expensive hobby than
>collecting early British micro-computers!

Or in my husbands case cold cast porcelain statues of comic book
characters. If he fusses about the $20 or so a month I spend on
quilting supplies I just point at his 30 statues that cost an average
of $200 *each*. I'm downright cheap compared to him!

Monica L. Tittle
histo...@mindspring.com
I'd rather regret what I have done than wish for that
which I didn't. -Me

Monica L. Tittle

Mar 14, 2001, 1:33:40 PM3/14/01
On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:49:39 -0800, "Tiggrrr" <ro...@davidbowie.com>
wrote:

>Tigg (cyber S*E*X*, ain't it grand! ;) )

It's just about the only way I can get it since my LQS closed. :'-(

*sniff*

Monica L. Tittle

Mar 14, 2001, 1:36:36 PM3/14/01
I'd bet their sample was skewed. Think about it, once you reach 50
you've probably got a stash that takes up half of your house, most of
the quilt books ever published, two or three sewing machines and thus
only have to spend money on thread, a few packs of needles and the
occations block of the month pattern.

Well, at least that's my goal for when I turn 50. ;)

Monica L. Tittle

Mar 14, 2001, 1:40:05 PM3/14/01
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:02:45 +0000, Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin
<bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote:

>True for the length of the top but the witdh?? Seems to me a wonder
>that that girl doesn't keep on falling forwards.

Yeah, but wouldn't she make for some great trapunto?!

frood

Mar 14, 2001, 1:43:41 PM3/14/01
Your Ancient Worlds Round Robin quilt sounds intrigueing! Got pictures we
can see any where?

When j.he...@ntlworld.com spoke, these pearls of wisdom spewed forth...

--
Wendy
http://griffinsflight.com/

Monica L. Tittle

Mar 14, 2001, 1:43:20 PM3/14/01
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:01:56 -0000, "j.hendry4"
<j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Please, if anyone has any contacts at Core or Eidos, ask them, nae, beg them
>on my behalf, for the sake of my quilting and my sanity, not to bring out
>any more Tomb Raider games. Come to think of it, I was still stuck on the
>last level of Tomb Raider III and haven't quite finished it yet.
>NOOOOOOOOOOO......... someone save me from myself!!!!!!!!!

If you'll beg Impressions not to make anymore of their City Building
series. I'm truely and honestly addicted to all of those, Caesar,
Cleopatra/Pharaoh, and Zeus! I just can't stop playing them!

QuiltR1024

Mar 14, 2001, 2:46:57 PM3/14/01
In article <3aafb99e...@news.mindspring.com>, histo...@mindspring.com

(Monica L. Tittle) writes:

>I'd bet their sample was skewed. Think about it, once you reach 50
>you've probably got a stash that takes up half of your house, most of
>the quilt books ever published, two or three sewing machines and thus
>only have to spend money on thread, a few packs of needles and the
>occations block of the month pattern.
>>Well, at least that's my goal for when I turn 50. ;)
><<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Monica,
You hit the nail on the head. I'm over 50 & have more fabric than I can
ever use & two machines and running out of space fast. I have to reorganize
the sewing room again ( and it's quite large - I turned my recreation/family
room into my sewing room after my son moved to his own house). It's a large
L-shaped room that takes up the whole lower level of my house. It has a sofa,
TV and bookshelves in it, besides all the sewing and quilting stuff. There
is also a utility room on this level that has a file cabinet and an extra
refrigerator ( for my nice cold drinks). Yum....

Kris ( in northern Virginia )

LN

Mar 14, 2001, 3:58:58 PM3/14/01
When I had my quilting weekend the ladies looked at a white board I have up
in the kitchen. On it it had 4 spending catagories. One was quilting and it
said 49. The ladies asked, "Is that the budget or actual?" I said, "We're
terrible at budgeting, so it must be actual." They chastised me on not
spending enough. LOL

I spend when I feel the need. In the past I've hidden purchases, but that is
only because I was irresponsible and shouldn't have spent the money at that
time. I was being selfish. If I've looked at our spending and I know I have
$ to spend, I don't hide it. If people are hiding their purchases, maybe
they shouldn't be spending it. Family comes before quilting. After that,
it's a free for all. LOL

LN (who often leaves LQS's empty handed)

"Sandy Ellison" <Elliso...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

LN

Mar 14, 2001, 4:08:49 PM3/14/01
You make quilts for your LN's? I'm LN, do I get a quilt? LOL

--
LN in NH

Latest stuff: www.lnscreations.eboard.com

"j.hendry4" <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
[snip]

Roberta Zollner

Mar 14, 2001, 3:56:19 PM3/14/01
I know I'm over 50, but surely started quilting at a much younger age. And I
also live in a "price-intensive" country. So there's no point in keeping
track of how much it costs, why give myself grief? As long as we're not in
debt, who cares?
Roberta in DK, also with a DH whose collection is FAR more expensive than
mine

"Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin" <bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote in
message news:3AAF27...@bt.com...
> I hate polls, they always come out with results that make me seem
> strange or abnormal and the killer is NO ONE EVER ASKS ME ANY SURVEY
> QUESTIONS (sorry for shouting :)

> $115 a year on material, that is about £65 - lets see with most material
> at £8 a meter, good threads around £3 a spool, new blades at about £3/4
> ditto - that a small single quilt each year unless you have a house full
> of stash.
>

> I also think I am under 50 but I'm so old now I can't remember.

> Sunni12 wrote:
> >
> > I read an article in a quilting magazine about results of a poll they
took
> > about quilters. I dont know how they picked their respondants, or how
many
> > people were polled.

Tiggrrr

Mar 14, 2001, 4:27:01 PM3/14/01

"j.hendry4" <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I have two cats (which I'm sure was in the survey), but am
> definitely not a 'cat-person' (never sewed a cat into a quilt in my life!)
> (that sounded a bit cruel, but I'm sure you know what I mean).

You'd be surprised. Fiendy used to love to lay on my big sewing machine in
front of the living room window. Didn't notice where she was one day and
sat back down to continue quilting on a quilt and managed to pull a big wad
of tummy fur out of her tummy on accident as she was laying on top of the
motor.

Tigg (Kitty is fine, I promise!)

Tiggrrr

Mar 14, 2001, 4:21:47 PM3/14/01

> Tig, that whole "hide it/sneak it in" process is garbage.
> Why would grown women (or men) hide the treasures they've
> just acquired.
>
> Juliette's right, rustle those bags, display them proudly;
> I hear 2 comments here: "Did you get what you want?"
> "Do you need help carrying it in?"

These are the main questions here anymore. HK doesn't care what I spend as
long as I get what I wanted (and don't spend money that we don't have to
spend which was the case that one time but isn't anymore). He generally
takes me to the quilt shops now and carries around my bolts for me.

Tigg (and no, Sarah, you can't rent him! He's all mine! ;) )

Jclark63

Mar 14, 2001, 4:52:47 PM3/14/01
Monica writes: >Think about it, once you reach 50

>you've probably got a stash that takes up half of your house

So when has that ever counted for anything? For example, I have boxes and tubs
and baskets and bags overflowing with fabric. So I decided to make a scrappy
quilt -- Jacob's Ladder done in jewel tones and neutrals.

Step #1 - Dash to the fabric store and spend $60-some for little bitty cuts of
lots of fabric. You see, I didn't have nearly enough purples and reds, and my
blues weren't bright enough, and some of my neutrals had too much of a yellow
tone, and my greens were gaudy. So I just HAD to pick up a few things to fill
in the gaps.

Step #2 - Buy a new tub to hold all the left-over "scraps" and think about my
next scrappy quilt. Hmmmm.....maybe something in yellow and red. I'll have to
keep on the lookout for yellows though...don't have nearly enough. And I think
I have used all my pretty reds.......

Can you tell where we are going with this?

Judy - NC (sneaking up on 50, but I'll have to do some serious shopping to get
a stash big enough that I will only spend $115/year. I guess I had best get
busy)

Judy - N.C.
*** It's never too late to have a happy childhood ***

Elaine Ross

Mar 14, 2001, 4:57:41 PM3/14/01
Tigg.......Mine does this too. And while he is carrying around what I have
picked out, he is picking out even more for me. He has NEVER complained
about what I spend, what I buy, or how many unfinished projects I have. I
can honestly say it is WAY more than $500 per year.

Elaine in Batavia (and no my DH isn't for rent either).

"Tiggrrr" <ro...@davidbowie.com> wrote in message

NBennett

Mar 14, 2001, 6:52:51 PM3/14/01
As usual, I'm way off normal.
I'm under 50, machine piece, handquilt, spend about 15 hrs/week quilting, and
money???? I figure I spend about $200 on fabric, batting, thread for each quilt. I
make 3 or 4 quilts a year.

Nancy - abnormal in Toronto

Dragonfly

Mar 15, 2001, 6:43:13 PM3/15/01
Sounds like the start of a stash to me -- first you start collecting for a
Jane Austin quilt, then you start collecting for a 1930's quilt, then you
start collecting for a bug jar quilt, then you start collecting for another
quilt..........and you have a stash!
--
Dragonfly
dragonfly_quilts @ hotmail.com

"j.hendry4" <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I put aside one day a week to sew/quilt, and do a little bit at other odd
> times. I'm not sure it adds up to 10 hours though. I am the master of
> recycling fabrics and using up the tiniest of scraps, so I probably only
> spend about £30 per year on fabrics. I'm 31 and can't really get the hang
> of machine quilting, so I do most of it by hand, but I nearly always
machine

> piece the tops. I have two cats (which I'm sure was in the survey), but

am
> definitely not a 'cat-person' (never sewed a cat into a quilt in my life!)

> (that sounded a bit cruel, but I'm sure you know what I mean). I don't,
as
> a rule, hold a stash of fabric, I only ever buy when I have a specific
> project in mind, although recently I have been planning a 'Jane Austin
quilt
> which I have no design for, but am collecting traditional fabrics in
shades
> of pale pink and green.
>
> I'd love to spend more time quilting, and maybe I will when I'm finished
> 'Tomb Raider The Last Revelation' on my Playstation. I am onto the end of
> the last level and it always takes the longest time to do the last little
> bit, so I'm deeply frustrated. Then I finish the game and feel empty for
> while. This time, I shall fill in that emptiness with quilting, and
> hopefully they'll not bring out any more Tomb Raider games, and I can sew
> more.
>
> I've just read that back to myself, and I sound a little mad! Well, I am,
> and I'm not ashamed of it. Bernadette will tell you how mad I am.
Anyway,
> that's pretty much me, apart from I have a DH and a DS (9 months old) and

> LOVE making baby quilts for my DS and my two LN's (just made that one up -
> Lovely Nieces), and taking part in round robins with all my closest
quilting
> friends.
>
> Happy quilting
>
> Josie, Aberdeen

Dragonfly

Mar 15, 2001, 6:35:36 PM3/15/01
It's obvious I must find someone with a more expensive hobby than mine.
That should solve many of the problems from my prior relationships. ;-)

--
Dragonfly
dragonfly_quilts @ hotmail.com

"Sandy Ellison" <Elliso...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Howdy!
> Those quilters from that survey lied,
> that's all it could be, lies.
>
> More likely stats are that we range in age
> from 15-99 (at 100, you become the Quilting Director
> and get to tell everyone else how to do it),
> spend about $1400 a year per quilter, take an average
> of 5 classes a year (Susan M passes this in one
> day in Houston at the Really Big Quilt Show),
> has more tops than finished quilts (see, I knew I was
> an exception somewhere <g>), and buys an average of
> 2 magazines and 1 book (quilting) per month.
> This is closer to what QNM surveys reveal,
> and what I observed from working in the LQS.
>

> Tig, that whole "hide it/sneak it in" process is garbage.
> Why would grown women (or men) hide the treasures they've
> just acquired.
>
> Juliette's right, rustle those bags, display them proudly;
> I hear 2 comments here: "Did you get what you want?"
> "Do you need help carrying it in?"

Dragonfly

Mar 15, 2001, 6:39:13 PM3/15/01
I absolutely hate living with someone that makes me feel like I have to
justify everything I do. I'm not in it as much as before when I was with
someday-X, but discovering my mom has a little bit of that control tendency,
too. I am wondering how I can re-train myself to recognize that tendency in
people and run the other way!

--

"Judy Grevenites" <JudyGre...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I have been thinking about husbands (or wives) who induce their spouses
> to lie or hide their purchases. I think that it isn't about the sum of
> money that is spent,---it is about power. It is about control. It is
> about making the spouse less of a partner and more of a dependent. You
> are dependent on their good humor for your well being. If you have been
> raised that way, you believe that this is a most natural way of living,
> but underneath it all, there is a pool of resentment that grows slowly.
> It becomes easier to lie then to tell the smple truth. It can show
> itself in many ways as time goes on. Red Queen

Monica L. Tittle

Mar 16, 2001, 5:18:49 PM3/16/01
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:43:13 -0700, "Dragonfly"
<dragonfl...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Sounds like the start of a stash to me -- first you start collecting for a
>Jane Austin quilt,

What is a Jane Austin quilt?

Micki Lang

Mar 16, 2001, 5:56:47 PM3/16/01
My DH collects those lil' Chevron cars and VW beetles/vans.Which ever he can
get his hands on. Thank god they sit at his parents house that way it
doesn't look like we have a car lot instead of country home. He works on
them and works on them and reads about them and looks for them. Once I
started getting interested in quilting he was so excited that he went and
bought me a sewing machine. He was so happy that I had finally picked a
hobby up this way he could feel less guilty about his hobby.<g> Now when
it's time to go to town he says "which fabric stores are we hitting today
Hun?" Like your DH's He follows me with the kids in tow, holding my bolts
with a smile on his face. My two yr. DS has started holding them too and if
I'm not careful he picks them out for me when my back is turned.<BG>
Micki

"Monica L. Tittle" <histo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Dragonfly

Mar 16, 2001, 2:41:41 PM3/16/01
If you count machines....and I bought two featherweights last month (one
$200, one $300)....I'm WAY over that total for the year on the first quoted
poll. I'll probably be much closer to the second poll by the time the end
of the year rolls around. I spend less time than the first poll -- and I'm
well under 50. At least I keep telling myself that 43 is well under 50.
:-) After classes end and I settle into just kids and work, I hope I can
get more quilting done on a more regular basis.

--

<glind...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Sunny wrote "But according to the poll, the average quilter is 50 or

> over, machine quilts, spends about $115/year on quilting and spends
> about 10.5 hours a week quilting."
>

> Over a year ago at the time of the Houston show before last, a
> relative who lives there sent me an article, I think from her local
> paper, about a different survey, describing what it called a "dedicated"
> quilter. I forget the age, but the average yearly expenditure was $1500.
> This included tools, notions, patterns, books, fabric, and classes.
> I know I spend $50 or more every month, some months more, mostly on
> fabric but also on notions and books. Not so many patterns, and never
> classes. And I spend about 6 hours a day or more on quilting and
> applique. Obviously I'm over 50!
> I believe the answer to whether or not Sunny can continue to quilt is
> the same old one: There are no quilt police!
> Glinda

Dragonfly

Mar 16, 2001, 6:00:36 PM3/16/01
Dunno, the previous poster, who I'd quoted, said she was collecting for a
"Jane Austin" quilt, but other than that, she just bought for one project at
a time and didn't have a stash. She might have meant a "Dear Jane" quilt.

--
Dragonfly
dragonfly_quilts @ hotmail.com

"Monica L. Tittle" <histo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Sunni12

Mar 17, 2001, 3:14:50 AM3/17/01
> My two yr. DS has started holding them too and if
>I'm not careful he picks them out for me when my back is turned.<BG>

My 12 year old DS does this also. Of course the stuff he picks is stuff he
wants me to use for him.

Sunny

j.hendry4

Mar 17, 2001, 4:57:36 AM3/17/01
I'm a SERIOUS Jane Austin fan (18th/19th century English author - 'Pride and
Prejudice', 'Emma', 'Sense and Sensibility', etc.) In all of the films made
of her books there are wonderful, very English, quilts on the beds. Mainly
either pieced hexagon quilts, or whole cloth (Durham) quilts. I have been
collecting gorgeous traditional English fabrics in pale pink and pale green,
lots of delicate florals and gentle, tiny paisleys, with a few striped
fabrics thrown in. My intention is to make a really traditional English
quilt, probably of the hexagons variety (Dresden Plate); a quilt fit to
grace the bed of Elizabeth Bennett herself.

Hope this sheds some light on it for you.

Josie

Sunni12

Mar 15, 2001, 2:09:44 AM3/15/01
No you arent. My DH dosnt care what I spend (he trusts my judgement) as long as
I give him the receipt immediately so he can keep the bank records straight.
He is so dear, that if it makes me happy, he is all for it. He goes along and
also helps me scavenge through remnant bins, and in turn, I help scavenge
through computer stuff for him.

-Sunny

>Am I the only one who doesn't get why some people hide the amount they spend
>from the DH's? I mean, won't they find out soon enough anyway? I spent
>over $300 one day and came home and told HK right away. Granted, I wasn't
>supposed to *buy* anything that day, but sometimes you just can't resist.
>He wasn't terribly happy with me, but he wasn't mad either. And he buys me
>fabric too, the good stuff at the LQS! ;) Even drives me to the beach so I
>can get more! :)
>

>Tigg

Sunni12

Mar 15, 2001, 2:05:28 AM3/15/01
>Maybe it's how much they tell their DH that they spent.

HUGE LOL!!!!!!!!!!
This comment tickled my funnybone so much I have to thank you for the giggle.

-Sunny

Sunni12

Mar 15, 2001, 2:14:32 AM3/15/01
>No. You must wait until you're 50.

Well can I at least quilt on the days I feel over 50?

-Sunny

Sunni12

Mar 15, 2001, 2:03:57 AM3/15/01
>No....you are not. Therefore you should send all of your now useless fabric
>ME......<hehehehe>
>
>Kathy......who loves pulling a leg or two in Holbrook, NY 8)

If I do will it all come back in a lovely quilt ?

-Sunny
who also tugs on a leg now and again

Sunni12

Mar 15, 2001, 2:20:33 AM3/15/01
Heavens! I love this place and all of yall.

-Sunny

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 15, 2001, 3:32:56 AM3/15/01
Oh Dear, I hope you used the fur in the quilt after that :)

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 15, 2001, 3:31:04 AM3/15/01
Honestly Monica this made me cackle really loudly in the office,
unfortunately there was no one I could share the joke with.

I think you deserve the Best Laugh of the Day Fat Quarter prize (which I
just made up) so because you brightened the start of what promises to be
a bad day at work, send me your address and a fat quarter in the colour
of your choice will wing its way to you, let me know your colour
preferences - I mean this.

Monica L. Tittle wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:02:45 +0000, Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin
> <bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote:
>
> >True for the length of the top but the witdh?? Seems to me a wonder
> >that that girl doesn't keep on falling forwards.
> >
> Yeah, but wouldn't she make for some great trapunto?!

j.hendry4

Mar 15, 2001, 4:23:52 AM3/15/01
I know I SHOULD get this joke, but I don't. You see I don't know what
trapunto is really. That sounds really bad for a quilter.

Anyway, this is not getting my a*se down the gym.

Signing off now. Speak to you all again soon.

Josie

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin <bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote in
message news:3AB07D...@bt.com...

Pat Winters

Mar 15, 2001, 8:22:52 AM3/15/01
Bernadette: You already get to meet lots
of interesting people or non-people ....
right here!

<G> PAT ... ghost #3

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin wrote:

> I could do a Buffy quilt at the same time, nah that thought of it makes
> my stomach turn, even though Vampire Slayer is my next career choice,
> cool clothes, professional hair dresser and you get to meet lots of
> interesting people or non-people.

.....cut

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 15, 2001, 3:50:09 AM3/15/01
And apparently there are 1.27 quilters per household????? Is this
including quilting cats?

Sunni12 wrote:

> I read an article in a quilting magazine about results of a poll they took
> about quilters. I dont know how they picked their respondants, or how many
> people were polled.
>

> But according to the poll, the average quilter is 50 or over, machine quilts,
> spends about $115/year on quilting and spends about 10.5 hours a week quilting.

j.hendry4

Mar 15, 2001, 4:05:51 AM3/15/01
That sounds like an interesting games concept. I'll have to look out for
them.

NO I WON'T, I PROMISE MYSELF I WON'T

Josie

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:01:56 -0000, "j.hendry4"
> <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

> >Please, if anyone has any contacts at Core or Eidos, ask them, nae, beg
them
> >on my behalf, for the sake of my quilting and my sanity, not to bring out
> >any more Tomb Raider games. Come to think of it, I was still stuck on
the
> >last level of Tomb Raider III and haven't quite finished it yet.
> >NOOOOOOOOOOO......... someone save me from myself!!!!!!!!!
>
> If you'll beg Impressions not to make anymore of their City Building
> series. I'm truely and honestly addicted to all of those, Caesar,
> Cleopatra/Pharaoh, and Zeus! I just can't stop playing them!

j.hendry4

Mar 15, 2001, 4:19:54 AM3/15/01

Now, for those of us wanting to stuff our quilts with something a little
warmer!! I have two cats who shed a heck of a lot of fur. I'm sure if I
collected it all over the space of a year I'd have enough to stuff a quilt
with it. Do you think it's a sick idea to make my cats a quilt to lie on
and stuff it with their own hair? Or do you think it would smell all lovely
and cosy to them?

Josie

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin <bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote in

message news:3AB07E...@bt.com...

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 15, 2001, 3:49:07 AM3/15/01
I could do a Buffy quilt at the same time, nah that thought of it makes
my stomach turn, even though Vampire Slayer is my next career choice,
cool clothes, professional hair dresser and you get to meet lots of
interesting people or non-people.

PS You'll be cast out of the quilting group if you dare put mega aliens
on that quilt!

j.hendry4 wrote:

> B.
>
> Now, a Lara quilt!!!!????? Hmmmmmmmm. Not something I had thought of, but
> maybe worth it. I think of my Ancient Worlds Round Robin Quilt (as gorgeous
> as a wonderful Roman tiled floor), as my 'Adventures of Lara' Quilt, you
> know, Roman, Aztec, Hebrew, Egyptian, all I need is to finish it off with a
> mega-aliens-from-outa-space border and we'd be there.
>
> By the way, to anyone who's interested, I finished Tomb Raider The Last
> Revelation at lunchtime. It was a singularly disappointing ending, no
> revelation AT ALL, only a vague suggestion that she's dead and that the
> baddy is her Dad (hope I haven't spoiled it for anyone there). According to
> the counter it took me just over 17 hours, but that's not including all the
> times I mucked up and started back from the last save point. When I think
> of it, what a waste of my time! How many quilts could I have made in, what
> was probably more like, 60 hours?!

> Please, if anyone has any contacts at Core or Eidos, ask them, nae, beg them
> on my behalf, for the sake of my quilting and my sanity, not to bring out
> any more Tomb Raider games. Come to think of it, I was still stuck on the
> last level of Tomb Raider III and haven't quite finished it yet.
> NOOOOOOOOOOO......... someone save me from myself!!!!!!!!!
>

> Josie, Aberdeen

> Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin <bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote in

> message news:3AAF51...@bt.com...
> > Yup .... as a hatter, mad that is.
> >
> > Josie, when are you going to make a Lara Croft quilt - you'd probably
> > need to buy excess blue material for her top :)!

> > j.hendry4 wrote:
> > >
> > > I put aside one day a week to sew/quilt, and do a little bit at other
> odd
> > > times. I'm not sure it adds up to 10 hours though. I am the master of
> > > recycling fabrics and using up the tiniest of scraps, so I probably only
> > > spend about £30 per year on fabrics. I'm 31 and can't really get the
> hang
> > > of machine quilting, so I do most of it by hand, but I nearly always
> machine

> > > piece the tops. I have two cats (which I'm sure was in the survey), but

> am
> > > definitely not a 'cat-person' (never sewed a cat into a quilt in my
> life!)

j.hendry4

Mar 15, 2001, 4:13:29 AM3/15/01
I wouldn't even think about putting mega-aliens on it. Maybe I'll just
quilt Lara into the quilting somewhere! Can't stand Buffy, though. The
original film was BRILLIANT, but I think the series is a bit lame.

Josie

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin <bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote in

message news:3AB082...@bt.com...

j.hendry4

Mar 15, 2001, 4:17:21 AM3/15/01
Ah, but are you a baby. I don't know many babies who can type or form
sentences as well as you do. What does LN in NH stand for?

Josie

LN <LNSobs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> You make quilts for your LN's? I'm LN, do I get a quilt? LOL
>

> --
> LN in NH
>
> Latest stuff: www.lnscreations.eboard.com

> "j.hendry4" <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> [snip]

j.hendry4

Mar 15, 2001, 4:11:19 AM3/15/01
EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!!

I have been up since 6:30AM with my little bundle of joy ;>} and setting my
DH off to London for a big meeting (he's quite nervous although he won't
admit it). I did get my mail at 7:00AM but didn't log on here. I'm off to
the gym in 20 minutes. I got my present from Whistler, thanks B. I will
make myself one every time I'm sewing/quilting and think of you, you're a
treasure.

I must look into getting my own web-site and putting stuff like our round
robin on it. I haven't a clue though. Maybe that could become my new
addiction now that Lara is dead (sob, sob). Has anyone got any info on
setting up a web-site? I know my service provider gives me some space to
use, and I'd love to use it.

Josie

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin <bernadette.n...@bt.com> wrote in

message news:3AB080...@bt.com...
> I'll jump in here as Josie obviously hasn't got up yet - tsk these
> Residentially Located Mothers and their life of ease (ducking and
> running).
>
> We have five quilts from this round robin, Joanne's Ancient Worlds, my
> Spring quilt, Julie's Tree of Life, Elaine's Fantasy and Freda's US
> Western quilt. We have photos and both have scanners so one of us will
> eventually scan them in and tout them.
>
> Roll on our next round robin in September, the picture round robin.

> frood wrote:
> >
> > Your Ancient Worlds Round Robin quilt sounds intrigueing! Got pictures
we
> > can see any where?
> >
> > When j.he...@ntlworld.com spoke, these pearls of wisdom spewed
forth...

> > --
> > Wendy
> > http://griffinsflight.com/
> > If it weren't for caffeine I'd have no personality whatsoever!
> > -- Anonymous

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 15, 2001, 3:41:44 AM3/15/01

CANDCMOM2

Mar 15, 2001, 9:46:13 AM3/15/01
Don't have a DH to hide things from & at this point in life I feel like it's
*my* turn to have a few things I love. Kids are almost done with college,
always fed & clothed & now it's *me* time. Going to work up the courage to go
buy my dream machine & hope lightning doesn't strike me on the spot. My DS
keeps telling me... just buy it already Ma!! DD says .. you deserve it Mom go
for it!! Gotta love kids like that.
Peg in NE PA

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 15, 2001, 10:16:52 AM3/15/01
Sounds a bit sick to me, and you'd have to skin them to get enough fur,
better to stick to the road kill quilt.

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 15, 2001, 10:18:59 AM3/15/01
Yes true but then I shouldn't really stake or drop kick you all....
unless that is you are vampires. Hmmm actually that might explain a
lot!

Hope your friend is doing well.

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 15, 2001, 10:41:23 AM3/15/01
Yeah, excuses, excuses, I always find that the train was delayed works
for me :)

I could help with setting up the web site, although I'm sure that there
are some free or shareware applications around on the internet - search
under web authoring and shareware and something should come up. HTML
(hypertext markup language) is the basis for writing web pages and is
pretty simple if you want simple stuff. Give me a bell about it when
you want to get started. You can set up your site just on the hard
drive of your computer and load it into your browser (netscape or
explorer) and see how it looks. You can even copy the HTML from an
existing site and change the bits you want to, like your name etc.
Actually thinking about it your provider might even have some free
software they can give you.

Here are a couple of urls to get started.

DaveCentral Web Authoring Shareware, Freeware, Demos and Betas
http://www.davecentral.com/webauth.html

WebReference.com - The Webmaster's Reference Library - Web
Authoring T...
http://www.internet.com/

DaveCentral: Web Authoring - Text Editors, Page 1
http://www.davecentral.com/html.html

misnomer

Mar 15, 2001, 11:44:36 AM3/15/01
Someone on the newsgroup mentioned a couple of years ago that thier relative
collected dryer lint and prequilted a batt with cheese cloth , the really
cool thing about it was that the lint was already clean and dry.

I was doing that - collecting dryer lint - (but someone thought it was
garbage and threw it out) - it had some interesting bits of dog fur in it.

take care
liz
in Calgary where yesterday I combed the dog and could kick myself for not
keeping it and making a nice little batt with the fur, it must be getting
close to spring as the fur has disappeared from the lawn, but the dog is
still blowing his coat so there will be more.

"j.hendry4" <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Roberta Zollner

Mar 15, 2001, 10:59:38 AM3/15/01
I have heard of people who collect pet fur, spin it and weave it. But it
seems the individual hairs would migrate pretty fast if used in a batting.
Too short in the staple. You'd need some way to kinda felt them together
first. And by then most of the cosy smell would probably be gone :-)
Roberta in DK

Judy Grevenites

frood

Mar 15, 2001, 12:50:33 PM3/15/01
My little milk vampires, Giles and Spike say Hello!

When bernadette.n...@bt.com spoke, these pearls of wisdom
spewed forth...

> Yes true but then I shouldn't really stake or drop kick you all....
> unless that is you are vampires. Hmmm actually that might explain a
> lot!
>
> Hope your friend is doing well.

Monica L. Tittle

Mar 15, 2001, 12:57:23 PM3/15/01
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:23:52 -0000, "j.hendry4"
<j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I know I SHOULD get this joke, but I don't. You see I don't know what
>trapunto is really. That sounds really bad for a quilter.

It's a quilting technique where some areas have extra stuffing to make
them *really* stand out. Just like Lara. ;)

j.hendry4

Mar 15, 2001, 3:30:17 PM3/15/01

Our cats sleep on our bed, and every week when I wash our bedclothes and
tumble dry them, I get a HUGE amount of cat hair in the lint collector. I
daresay that it won't smell of them by that time, so it won't be so
comforting. I do agree that it would probably migrate from the quilt quite
quickly, so it probably wouldn't be effective for very long. Makes me think
of feathers coming out of duvets and pillows, which really makes me itch and
gag.

If I ever do make a cat quilt (quilt made FOR my cats rather than FROM my
cats) I shall back it with lambs fleece. They have two lambs fleeces in the
house and they LOVE them. Do cats sleep on lambs in the wild? This is the
same excuse for me refusing to give them any of my ham, "cats don't eat pigs
in the wild".

Thinking about it, when I was at Art college doing textile design, and we
were doing a felting project, I did felt some of my own hair into a piece,
turned out quite hard, though.

Must go and get on with the ironing. A 'Residentially located mother's'
work is never done.

Josie

misnomer <misn...@home.com> wrote in message

LN

Mar 15, 2001, 4:33:03 PM3/15/01
It stands for Ellen In New Hampshire. See. I'm lazy..

LN in NH

"j.hendry4" <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

j.hendry4

Mar 15, 2001, 3:22:53 PM3/15/01

B. rang me this morning and explained the joke. I did guffaw when I got it.
You'd need rather a lot of extra stuffing, though.

Josie

Monica L. Tittle <histo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

frood

Mar 15, 2001, 3:57:10 PM3/15/01
I have some yarn I spun with my dog's fur. I mixed it with wool, because
I couldn't get just the fur to spin. Wrong kind of fur, I guess, even
though she was a great spinner - when chasing her tail! Anyway, I now
have this really ugly reminder of my dog. She was a wonderful pet, and
quite pretty (well, to me, anyway), but her fur didn't spin so pretty. I
wouldn't want to smell it wet, though! <G>

When rob...@private.dk spoke, these pearls of wisdom spewed forth...

glind...@webtv.net

MAmadurk

Mar 15, 2001, 5:34:24 PM3/15/01
Ouch! I think ya done gone from preachin' to meddlin'!!

MAmadurk <smiling. I 'm SMILing!>

Judy Grevenites wrote in message
<10173-3A...@storefull-621.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

orca

Mar 15, 2001, 3:39:28 PM3/15/01
I met a spinner who would use just about any hair she could get
her hands on. She said she tried dog just once--and tossed it away
because the dog smell would not wash out. It was not a "cozy"
smell!
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
Roberta Zollner <rob...@private.dk> wrote in message

Molly Wills

Mar 15, 2001, 10:32:41 PM3/15/01
I'd love to know what TWO people they polled.

Molly in Mass.

"A person is a person, no matter how small."
-Theodore Geisel

chipper

Mar 15, 2001, 8:29:52 PM3/15/01
Boy does this sound familiar! I needed some pink, not just any shades, a
specific pink. I went to Joanns since their calicos are on sale....I now
have some $90.00 in new fabrics. Lots of wonderful greens, purples, blues,
maroons, rust, aquas...not a pink in the lot!
I suppose there is a name for this, but I probably don't want to know what
it is...

chipper (of course, you must realize that I saved $35.00, which is the part
I'll tell DH first... ;)

"Jclark63" <jcla...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Monica writes: >Think about it, once you reach 50
> >you've probably got a stash that takes up half of your house
>
> So when has that ever counted for anything? For example, I have boxes and
tubs
> and baskets and bags overflowing with fabric. So I decided to make a
scrappy
> quilt -- Jacob's Ladder done in jewel tones and neutrals.
>
> Step #1 - Dash to the fabric store and spend $60-some for little bitty
cuts of
> lots of fabric. You see, I didn't have nearly enough purples and reds, and
my
> blues weren't bright enough, and some of my neutrals had too much of a
yellow
> tone, and my greens were gaudy. So I just HAD to pick up a few things to
fill
> in the gaps.
>
> Step #2 - Buy a new tub to hold all the left-over "scraps" and think about
my
> next scrappy quilt. Hmmmm.....maybe something in yellow and red. I'll
have to
> keep on the lookout for yellows though...don't have nearly enough. And I
think
> I have used all my pretty reds.......
>
> Can you tell where we are going with this?
>
> Judy - NC (sneaking up on 50, but I'll have to do some serious shopping
to get
> a stash big enough that I will only spend $115/year. I guess I had best
get
> busy)
>

> Judy - N.C.
> *** It's never too late to have a happy childhood ***

misnomer

Mar 16, 2001, 2:54:15 AM3/16/01
my experience tells me that dogs and cats love just about any kind of quilt
/ mine prefers the ugly ones... he has 2 or 3 maybe 4. They seem to like
them even better if they were used by their masters first!

I think if there were pigs in the wild my dog would try and eat it, but one
night he just watched the mice take his dog food out of his bowl... the next
day we bated the traps with the dog food and no more mice! Probably more
than you wanted to know!

I don't think any of my cats liked pork... hmmmm...

take care
Liz

"j.hendry4" <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

j.hendry4

Mar 16, 2001, 4:54:15 AM3/16/01
It would have been cosy for the dog!

Josie

orca <or...@sisqtel.net> wrote in message

j.hendry4

Mar 16, 2001, 5:02:02 AM3/16/01
I have taken to shutting the door to my workroom when I'm not in it. I have
a HUGE drawing board (A0 size) with a proper drawing chair in front of it.
I have found my cats asleep both on the chair and on a stack of fat quarters
on the desk, also on my round robin quilt top on the desk and amidst a pile
of unfinished cushions on the spare bed. As you can tell, my workroom is a
bit of a mess, and I was also suffering from projects all covered in cat
hair and smelling of fish (I don't feed my cats fish, how come they sweat
fishy smells?)

When my DH is away 'his' cat sleeps on his pillow and he comes back to a
lovely cat-shaped indent, lined with tabby hair. 'My' cat is the completely
mental one who will sleep anywhere.

Nice mouse-catching method. Speaking of other animals who eat dog food, I
used to have a pet cat-fish when I was little whose diet (after he ate all
the other fish in the tank) consisted solely of Pedigree Chum. It was all
he would eat. Weird eh? You think he'd at least eat cat food!

Josie

misnomer <misn...@home.com> wrote in message

misnomer

Mar 16, 2001, 10:23:59 AM3/16/01
Oh I know - we have dog hair everywhere its next to impossible to brush it
off - but it all comes out in the wash! Dogs seem to be territorial and he
understands that my sewing room is my room so doesn't go in there at all,
but he thinks my bedroom is his! Cats just make their home anywhere they
feel like!

Fish that eats dog food - funny lol!

take care
Liz

"j.hendry4" <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

sew crazy

Mar 17, 2001, 7:35:05 AM3/17/01
Greetings to another JA fan. Have you read Lady Susan and the Watsons (two
of her lesser known works)? I am reading Parson Austen's Daughter right now
which is a story of her life (by Helen Ashton). I think it was LN who
recently said she had a "quilt-in" and they watched Sense and Sensibility, a
pure slice of heaven.

Sew Crazy

> I'm a SERIOUS Jane Austin fan (18th/19th century English author - 'Pride
and
> Prejudice', 'Emma', 'Sense and Sensibility', etc.) In all of the films
made
> of her books there are wonderful, very English, quilts on the beds.
Mainly
> either pieced hexagon quilts, or whole cloth (Durham) quilts. I have been
> collecting gorgeous traditional English fabrics in pale pink and pale
green,
> lots of delicate florals and gentle, tiny paisleys, with a few striped
> fabrics thrown in. My intention is to make a really traditional English
> quilt, probably of the hexagons variety (Dresden Plate); a quilt fit to
> grace the bed of Elizabeth Bennett herself.
>
> Hope this sheds some light on it for you.

> Josie
>

> Monica L. Tittle <histo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> > On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:43:13 -0700, "Dragonfly"
> > <dragonfl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Sounds like the start of a stash to me -- first you start collecting
for
> > >Jane Austin quilt,
> >
> > What is a Jane Austin quilt?

> > Monica L. Tittle
> > histo...@mindspring.com
> > I'd rather regret what I have done than wish for that
> > which I didn't. -Me

Susan Ford

Mar 17, 2001, 11:48:34 AM3/17/01
Good heavens, somewhere in my pile of magazines is a
patter for a Jane Austen quilt. In other words one that
is KNOWN to have been owned by Jane Austen. It was a
series of long skinny diamonds, sashed, with a larger
diamond in the center that had an image on it and
embroidered names (I think). It looked hard.

I also love to re-read her books, and have Pride and
Prejudice on books on tape for long car trips.

Susan

Susan Ford

Mar 17, 2001, 11:51:36 AM3/17/01
My favorite versions of her books were done by the BBC
about 10 years ago. I have Pride and Prejudice, and
that Darcy is the BEST I've seen anywhere. Much nicer
than the chubby faced guy from A&E. They are for sale
at most Borders video sections still.

Susan

Katie & Monty Wilson

Mar 17, 2001, 12:49:36 PM3/17/01
There is a Jane Austin quilt. I have seen a reproduction, and my Where To Find
It file (which I put on 3x5" cards) says the Quilters Newsletter Magazine had a
full page article and picture in the October 1988 issue, page 50. There is also
some info in a book called Learn Patchwork, by Lynette-Merlin Syme (from the
80's,also).

Katie in Nebraska

"j.hendry4" wrote:

--
Katie & Monty Wilson

jwi...@ncfcomm.com
jlw...@nppd.com
NR...@arrl.net
NR0A@KC0EQA.#NENE.NE.USA.NOAM

|----------\
| + \
|--| Norfolk \
| \
|-----------\

LN

Mar 17, 2001, 3:35:10 PM3/17/01
During my quilter's weekend a couple of weeks ago, we put my copy of Sense
and Sensibility in at 1:00AM to watch it as some hadn't ever seen it and it
is one of the two movies I can watch over and over again. Love it!

LN

LN

Mar 17, 2001, 3:35:46 PM3/17/01
T'was me! Love that movie!

LN

"sew crazy" <ro...@midmaine.com> wrote in message

j.hendry4

Mar 18, 2001, 1:36:21 PM3/18/01
I can watch, listen, read all her works as many times as I like and I NEVER
get bored with them. I went to see an English actress called Geraldine
McEwan do a one woman recitation of her favourite passages from Jane Austen,
at the theatre in Oxford a couple of years ago, and it was so funny we had
tears running down our cheeks. I do also adore the Emma Thompson version of
Sense and Sensibility, and the recent BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice
with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth (Phworr.....).

My Jane Austen quilt will not be a copy of her quilt (I have seen it also),
but a quilt which evokes the feel of that period to me.

It's great to hear there are so many fans out there.

Josie

LN <LNSobs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

LN

Mar 18, 2001, 5:38:19 PM3/18/01
I just put a hold on an audio copy of Pride and Prejudice at my library so I
can listen to it when I quilt.

LN

"j.hendry4" <j.he...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Maureen Wozniak

Mar 17, 2001, 6:43:53 PM3/17/01
I'm a Jane Austen fan too. Your quilt idea sounds great!

Maureen

Bernadette Noujaim Baldwin

Mar 19, 2001, 3:02:50 AM3/19/01
Joanne weren't we talking about where her quilt is? Still haven't found
out, must try to remember.

It sounds a wonderful idea, especially as you are not normally a
delicate floral person, sounds like an insult but you know what I mean.
Are you doing it bed size or wall hanging?

It is loading more messages.