Bleaching Evenweave

Bea

Mar 6, 2001, 7:51:48 PM3/6/01
I need help. I bought a beautiful piece of Jobelan 28ct black fabric to
do a Cranes Bellpull by StitchWorld x-stitch. I sat down to grid the
fabric and discovered I couldn't see the spaces between the threads. I
even turned a mag lamp over so the light would shine through it and
drove my self crazy trying to pin mark every 20th thread - talk about
neck and shoulder strain/pain. I was wondering if I could "lightly"
bleach this piece so it wouldn't be quite so black. Not sure what
proportion of bleach to lukewarm/cold water I would need to use. Or
would Rit Dye Color Remover work? Does anyone think this would work?
Thanks,
Bea (delete the hi to reply)

F.James Cripwell

Mar 7, 2001, 6:51:42 AM3/7/01

FWIW. When I stitched Moon Maiden on black, I found I could only
stitch it in natural light; the brighter the better. For black on black
I often used direct sunlight. Artificial light, no matter how bright it
seemed, simply would not do.

--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada, land of the Key Bird. This creature of doom

Lollee Roberts

Mar 7, 2001, 7:01:05 AM3/7/01

Bea, don't bleach it! Try putting a light underneath the fabric. I have also
heard of people putting a bright white cloth on their laps while they stitch.
But the light beneath the fabric seems to work well for most people.
Lollee

Bea

Mar 7, 2001, 11:08:17 AM3/7/01

Hi Jim and Lollee,
I was afraid this is what I would be told. I guess I'll start this one when we
have more sun shining in So. California. What possessed me to buy black is
beyond me, lost my mind for a few minutes I guess.

Bea (delete the hi to reply)

Dianne Lewandowski

Mar 7, 2001, 11:31:02 AM3/7/01
Hi, Bea. I understand your dilemma. I sometimes sew hubby tailored
shirts. He wanted a black one in the worst way. So, I got some fabric
and began. I got to the sleeve plackets and gave up. It's still
hanging - unfinished - in the closet. Stitching on black, at my age, is
just too difficult.

But Jim is correct. Bright natural light is the BEST for stitching -
and I usually *only* stitch on those days. Very fine, white-on-white
embroidery is also miserable without bright, natural light.

Unfortunately, we've had a a miserable past twelve months up here - with
lots less sun than normal. So my fine stitching has suffered. Along
with my mood <grin>.

Dianne

Karen C - California

Mar 7, 2001, 12:28:17 PM3/7/01
You can find a 50/200/250-watt bulb at most good lighting stores, but most
three-way lamps are sold with a 150W socket. You *can* put the 250 in them and
it will work, but at some point it will start throwing sparks. For a few
dollars, you can get a 250W socket at the hardware store, and in a matter of
minutes install it in your lamp.

I stitched most of Magic in Motion at night under the 250W bulb, with a white
blanket in my lap.
--
Finished 2/23/01 - June/Rose sachet
WIP: getting my health back, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Paralegal - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/myhomepage/profile.html

Don't risk your on-line privileges! I report all Spam.

Bmciowa

Mar 7, 2001, 2:33:53 PM3/7/01

>I was afraid this is what I would be told. I guess I'll start this one when
>we
>have more sun shining in So. California.

Bea,

Consider that it might be the Jobelan itself, rather than the color that's
giving you difficulties. A while back I stitched the Ross Originals Rainbow
Lorikeets on black Jobelan and it about made me nuts. The shininess of the
Jobelan really confounds my already awful depth perception. I just can't tell
where the needle is in relation to the fabric. Just yesterday, I finished the
Solar System from Lorrac. I used black Linda (27.ct.). Linda is IIRC, 100%
cotton and matte, and I had no trouble seeing at all. I was really amazed at
how much easier the Linda was than the Jobelan.

Just a thought...

Sara
WIPs:

LTD Knot Garden
Lorrac Designs: Solar System Done!
Lady Jane Needleroll (Liz Navickas)

Bea

Mar 7, 2001, 7:17:26 PM3/7/01
HI Sara,
There is a definite shine to the Jobelan. Maybe that's the problem, in addition
to the trifocals without lines (whatever those are called). Maybe I need to think
about a different fabric besides Jobelan even though it is really nice. Thanks,
Bea

Tom & Rita Liesch

Mar 7, 2001, 7:49:40 PM3/7/01
Sara wrote:
> Consider that it might be the Jobelan itself, rather than the color that's
> giving you difficulties. The shininess of the

> Jobelan really confounds my already awful depth perception. I just can't
tell
> where the needle is in relation to the fabric. Just yesterday, I finished
the
> Solar System from Lorrac. I used black Linda (27.ct.). Linda is IIRC,
100%
> cotton and matte, and I had no trouble seeing at all. I was really amazed
at
> how much easier the Linda was than the Jobelan.

Have to second this. An all cotton fabric is much easier to stitch on than
one that is a blend of cotton and polyester. I have done 3 large pieces on
black and 2 on midnight blue with no problems and I am blind as a bat.

It is also very important to keep your fabric very taunt when stitching on a
very dark color. Stitching in hand is very difficult with dark fabrics.

If you feel you have to grid a dark fabric, put the fabric on stretcher
bars, or in a scroll frame or q-snap, before you attempt to grid it. Having
the fabric taunt will make it much easier to grid.

Some people find it best to put a light at their feet with the light shining
up at their fabric. Others prefer a light colored towel on their lap and a
strong light above their work. I use an Ott light and have no trouble
seeing the holes in the fabric even when I stitch late at night.

Rita Liesch

Alison Hendon

Mar 8, 2001, 7:45:37 AM3/8/01
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:49:40 -0600, "Tom & Rita Liesch"
<lie...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Have to second this. An all cotton fabric is much easier to stitch on than
>one that is a blend of cotton and polyester. I have done 3 large pieces on
>black and 2 on midnight blue with no problems and I am blind as a bat.
>
>It is also very important to keep your fabric very taunt when stitching on a
>very dark color. Stitching in hand is very difficult with dark fabrics.

<snip>
I have to second this part. I always stitch in hand but was stitching
on navy aida and found my left hand was cramping as I tried to stretch
the fabric taut. Putting the fabric in a hoop stretched the holes
more open and made it easier to see. I have trouble seeing the holes
on sage Jobelan (or any Jobelan) - I find lugana, linda, or jubilee
(my favorite) easier to use.

Alison

Ruby M Scott

Mar 8, 2001, 8:41:16 AM3/8/01
I am presently working on a black fabric and also find that strong
natural light is best but in itself not enough for me. Discovered this
trick. I hang something white on the stand behind it and that helps
considerably in seeing the holes. Am working on quaker cloth. It is
very slow going.
Good luck
Ruby

Bea

Mar 9, 2001, 10:43:08 AM3/9/01
Hi Rita,
I think your right. I put the black Jobelan away for awhile and decided to work
on an ivory Jobelan for another project. I don't think I like this fabric. It
feels nice but it's too soft. I have the ivory on q snaps but if I pull too
hard with the floss the threads move and I really don't care for it. I guess I
like stiffer fabrics or those with all natural fibers.
Bea

Kim McAnnally

Mar 9, 2001, 1:44:01 PM3/9/01
DO NOT BLEACH IT! I tried bleaching several fabrics when MLI came out
with the bleached patterns Emma's Garden and Firefly Fairies.
Customers wanted to know if another color would bleach and look good.
Black Jobelan or Lugana (not sure which but they are the same fiber
make up so will probably both do it) turns red when bleached.
Kim

**Now my own domain**
www.fabrics2uxstitch.com
Now carrying Anchor floss!

Phillip and Sandra Whitley

Mar 10, 2001, 8:18:41 AM3/10/01
Bea:

I'm sooooo glad its not just me who can't see through that stuff! I
started the Jazz Duo on it and finally gave up. Direct, indirect, what
ever it was difficult to see through. I ended up getting some black
heatherfield and will start over on that.

Sandra

Bea

Mar 10, 2001, 10:06:52 AM3/10/01
Hi Sandra,
I have to agree. I've tried different lighting situations - over, under,
etc and still can't work with this stuff. What a waste of money. I'm
going to do it on monaco or something I've worked with before. Well, at
least I learned from it, stay away from Jobelan in dark colors.

Bea (delete the hi to reply)