Does anyone have a favourite piece of literature they'd immortalise in XS?

Trish Lavis

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

I found a dusty old book the other day: it was my high school poetry text. I sat
down to read and realised I must be a bit of a poetry nut, 'cause I've managed
to memorise so many of the poems as well as others that Mum taught me etc.

I reached the section on Gerard Manley Hopkins and began to recite my utterly
favourite poem, _The Windhover_.

'I caught this morning morning's minion, kingdom of daylight's dauphin,
Dapple dawn-drawn falcon in his riding
Of the rolling, level underneath-him-steady air...'

I had such a perfect picture of this in my mind that I thought 'This would make
a brilliant XS!' Then I began to read other poems and stitch them mentally. Talk
about Treasure Trove!

'No man is an ilande, intire of itself. Every man is a peece of the Continent, a
part of the Maine...' John Donne

'Down the road came laughing Mary and the beast that she bestrode
Was Maloney's sorry piebald she had found beside the road...' John O'Brien

I had a really lovely time imagining how I would design all sorts of XS
renditions of these wonderful works and thought 'What about everyone else?'

Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate in
XS? Shakespeare? John Donne? Keats? Wordsworth? etc etc

Trish {|:-}

Nan

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

Trish Lavis wrote:
<snip>

> I had a really lovely time imagining how I would design all sorts of XS
> renditions of these wonderful works and thought 'What about everyone else?'
>
> Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate in
> XS? Shakespeare? John Donne? Keats? Wordsworth? etc etc
>
> Trish {|:-}

Any book by Elizabeth Goudge is packed with word pictures so clear and
cherishable they beg to be hugged and then stitched or painted or sketched. Her
characters, too.

Nan
X/USA/H+++/mX23/1D,1C/XNCH/SF/:-X/P/cmG/Wo/32L/D/M/B/b/R~/S/
Kc/E/C+/J/
DH, Robertson Davies, ice cream

Readers are plentiful: thinkers are rare. --Harriet Martineau, 1802-1876

Laurie Graham

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

Trish Lavis wrote:

> I found a dusty old book the other day: it was my high school poetry text. I sat
> down to read and realised I must be a bit of a poetry nut, 'cause I've managed
> to memorise so many of the poems as well as others that Mum taught me etc.
>
> I reached the section on Gerard Manley Hopkins and began to recite my utterly
> favourite poem, _The Windhover_.
>
> 'I caught this morning morning's minion, kingdom of daylight's dauphin,
> Dapple dawn-drawn falcon in his riding
> Of the rolling, level underneath-him-steady air...'
>
> I had such a perfect picture of this in my mind that I thought 'This would make
> a brilliant XS!' Then I began to read other poems and stitch them mentally. Talk
> about Treasure Trove!
>
> 'No man is an ilande, intire of itself. Every man is a peece of the Continent, a
> part of the Maine...' John Donne
>
> 'Down the road came laughing Mary and the beast that she bestrode
> Was Maloney's sorry piebald she had found beside the road...' John O'Brien
>
> I had a really lovely time imagining how I would design all sorts of XS
> renditions of these wonderful works and thought 'What about everyone else?'
>
> Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate in
> XS? Shakespeare? John Donne? Keats? Wordsworth? etc etc
>
> Trish {|:-}

It'd be a toss-up between Don Quixote and Dante's Inferno. Although
Chaucer has something to be said for him....Hmmmm. I'll have to go dig
up some olde books myself.

LSG

Lavigne

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

"The Walrus and The Carpenter" Lewis Carroll

The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things
of shoes and ships, of sealing wax, of cabbages and kings ......
(forgive me if i'm misquoting, I'm going by memory)

Trish Lavis <pla...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article <snip>

yuanjun

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Well, I thought this would make a very pretty picture: "Daffodils" by
Wordsworth. You know . . .

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills
When suddenly I saw a crowd
A host of golden daffodils . . .

Or, of course, besides poetry (although Shakespeare does write in
poetry or at least blank verse) I thought Romeo and Juliet (the characters)
would be beautiful . . . you just have to watch the movie ('96 version) to
see what I mean. The whole idea is just, well, wonderful!

Thanks Trish for your great idea!

June

Trish Lavis <pla...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article

<3470b15c...@news.ozemail.com.au>...

ahe...@dorsai.org

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

>Trish Lavis wrote:
>>
>> I found a dusty old book the other day: it was my high school poetry text. I sat
>> down to read and realised I must be a bit of a poetry nut, 'cause I've managed
>> to memorise so many of the poems as well as others that Mum taught me etc.
>>
>> I reached the section on Gerard Manley Hopkins and began to recite my utterly
>> favourite poem, _The Windhover_.
>>
>> 'I caught this morning morning's minion, kingdom of daylight's dauphin,
>> Dapple dawn-drawn falcon in his riding
>> Of the rolling, level underneath-him-steady air...'
>>
>> I had such a perfect picture of this in my mind that I thought 'This would make
>> a brilliant XS!' Then I began to read other poems and stitch them mentally. Talk
>> about Treasure Trove!
>>
>> 'No man is an ilande, intire of itself. Every man is a peece of the Continent, a
>> part of the Maine...' John Donne
>>
>> 'Down the road came laughing Mary and the beast that she bestrode
>> Was Maloney's sorry piebald she had found beside the road...' John O'Brien
>>
>> I had a really lovely time imagining how I would design all sorts of XS
>> renditions of these wonderful works and thought 'What about everyone else?'
>>
>> Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate in
>> XS? Shakespeare? John Donne? Keats? Wordsworth? etc etc
>>
>> Trish {|:-}

I want to chart (or have charted? my sig file

Though my soul may set in darkness,
It will rise in perfect light
I have loved the stars too fondly
Too be fearful of the night.

I see something celestial - moon, stars....

Alison

Martina Weber

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:18:15 GMT, pla...@ozemail.com.au (Trish Lavis)
wrote:

>I found a dusty old book the other day: it was my high school poetry text. I sat
>down to read and realised I must be a bit of a poetry nut, 'cause I've managed
>to memorise so many of the poems as well as others that Mum taught me etc.

snipppppp

>I had a really lovely time imagining how I would design all sorts of XS
>renditions of these wonderful works and thought 'What about everyone else?'
>
>Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate in
>XS? Shakespeare? John Donne? Keats? Wordsworth? etc etc

I do have al ot of favourite poems and/or plays and/or novels....but
they are mostly German ones, e.g. "Herr von Ribbeck auf Ribbeck im
Havelland" / Theodor Fontane or some poems of Rainer Maria Rilke ...
But I would as well love to see an embroidery of "Wuthering Heights"
or Ophelia in "Hamlet", lying in the waters all coverded with flowers,
her hair swirling around her...seems, I'm getting morbide here.....
what about the sirenes singing to Odysseus and his men - a lovely
chance for a tapestry at least :))
Martina
"Chātelaine"
Duisburg/Germany
http://www.chatelaine.net ==>new FREE chart & contest

Cindy Swafford

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

The Listeners by Walter de la Mere

Margaret Whittleton

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Marilyn & Theresa: if you get tired of designing angels or dragons, the
group has some great suggestions <G>

Personally, I would like to see the Lady of Shallot, or Portia (so many of
Shakespeare's women would be great as stitched pieces), or Biblical women
such as Ruth and Naomi (great for a beloved MIL).

I would think that for many designers that must be the problem - so many
ideas and so little time.

Marg

Anna Flaherty

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Trish Lavis <pla...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<3470b15c...@news.ozemail.com.au>...

> Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would
illustrate in
> XS? Shakespeare? John Donne? Keats? Wordsworth? etc etc

*lurk mode off*

I've always wanted to do a xstitch version of Kipling's 'If'. I think it's
a wonderful lesson in what it means to be mature.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
and yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream- and not make dreams your master;
If you can think-and not make thoughts your aim
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;"

I once saw a sampler of it, so if anyone knows of a kit or pattern, I'd
love to be able to find one.

Anna

Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Sounds wonderful....I have had a Lady of Shallot in my mind for
sometime. I see satin stitches and fine beads with her hair flowing over
her shoulders...her eyes toward the stars, with each drape of the gown
reflecting her hearts longing...OK OK OK someone stop me! I do get
carried away with these visions...Now if I didn't have a family that
includes two small children and a business to run I would come up with
5-6 designs a month and you folks can't stitch that fast sooooo....I
guess it all gets done in the right timing for everyone?
marilyn

Matthew & Kathy Hoover

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

> It'd be a toss-up between Don Quixote and Dante's Inferno. Although
> Chaucer has something to be said for him....Hmmmm. I'll have to go dig
> up some olde books myself.
>
> LSG

In high school our English class was reading The Inferno, and visited
the Duke University Library's Rare Book Room to view their copy (1 of
only 5 in existence)of a folio of illustrations for The Inferno, done
by Salvador Dali, the surrealist painter. They were absolutly
incredible and hellish and strange and wonderful, and too scary to
hang on the wall, even in cross stitch, but wow what a challenge
they would be!

Kathy Hoover

Richardson

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Leisure Arts has a chart for "If" - I just saw it in their Leafletes for
Less catalogue. It is No. 2969, designed by Linda Gillum. The poem is
on the left half, and the right half is filled with pictures, but the
picture is hard to tell exactly what is in the design.
--
X/USA/H+++/2D/XNQH/OQS/:-X/?/G-/Wo/D/M/B/b/R+++/S/K/E/C/J/DH,
Mary Stewart, James Michener, Good & Plenty

Bill & Brynn Robbins

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Laurie Graham wrote:

> Trish Lavis wrote:
> >
> > I found a dusty old book the other day: it was my high school poetry text. I sat
> > down to read and realised I must be a bit of a poetry nut, 'cause I've managed
> > to memorise so many of the poems as well as others that Mum taught me etc.
> >
> > I reached the section on Gerard Manley Hopkins and began to recite my utterly
> > favourite poem, _The Windhover_.
> >
> > 'I caught this morning morning's minion, kingdom of daylight's dauphin,
> > Dapple dawn-drawn falcon in his riding
> > Of the rolling, level underneath-him-steady air...'
> >
> > I had such a perfect picture of this in my mind that I thought 'This would make
> > a brilliant XS!' Then I began to read other poems and stitch them mentally. Talk
> > about Treasure Trove!
> >
> > 'No man is an ilande, intire of itself. Every man is a peece of the Continent, a
> > part of the Maine...' John Donne
> >
> > 'Down the road came laughing Mary and the beast that she bestrode
> > Was Maloney's sorry piebald she had found beside the road...' John O'Brien
> >
> > I had a really lovely time imagining how I would design all sorts of XS
> > renditions of these wonderful works and thought 'What about everyone else?'
> >
> > Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate in
> > XS? Shakespeare? John Donne? Keats? Wordsworth? etc etc
> >
> > Trish {|:-}

I'd have to go with Christopher Smart's poem to his cat Geoffrey (the
one he wrote while in prison with only Geoffrey for company). It's my
favorite but I don't have a copy of it. I'd probably stitch the part
about the Cherubim tigers. Anyone else know this poem? It is so sweet
and very moving.

Brynn
Brynn

Anne Gwin

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

> includes two small children and a business to run I would come up with
> 5-6 designs a month and you folks can't stitch that fast sooooo....I

Stitching? Who said anything about stitching? 5-6 new designs a month is a
perfect rate for S.E.X.! ;-)

AustinAnne

--
Machine shared by Anne Gwin (agwin*AT*mail.utexas.edu) and Nyarlathotep (nyarlathotep*AT*mail.utexas.edu). Sometimes we forget to change the name on the post.

<Discussing an image of a black rectangle silhouetted against the Martian landscape> "That is the top of the calibration target, that is _not_ in fact a monolith."--NASA TV commentator, 7/5/97

"This life is slow suicide, unless you read."
--Lt. Tom Keefer, The Caine Mutiny.

Mcfdyn

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

okay here comes the wacko response
Long time ago i read a poem by, i think, Robert Service (already off-the-wall,
right?) It was NOT "The shooting of Dan McGrew"
but was a story poem about a lady who lost her chewing gum. all the knights of
the place (i know, iknow an anachromism-chewing gum wasn't around then)
Finally she askes her husband why he isn't helping and he answers to the efect
of why should he, he's sitting on it (told ya it was wacko
I could also see doing some of the OGden Nash weird rhymes. Dr Suess creaures
would be great too (and the Wayside School kids and building)
Or a scene or two from Murder in the Cathedral (this is a poem y'all really, by
T>S> Eliot )
Two of my favorite (non-mystery) authors are Leon Uris and James Michener. lots
of ideas there
hmm lots of the mysteries i read have neat stuff in em too
Oh my lawsy I'll need at least 10 lifetimes now. It's all YOUR fault
LOL
kathy (mcf...@aol.com) san antonio
X/USA/S+/0/0/2D/X, K,Cr, N/Q,
H/:-D/na/na/W+/D/M-/B-/b/R+10-20/S/K-/E-/C+/j.Brett Butler (LA Dodgers)/Leon
Uris, James Michener, mysteries/choco and anything fattening or not good for ya.

Jegaudreau

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

>Does anyone have a favourite piece of literature they'd immortalise in XS?

I'd have to go with "Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by
T.S. Eliot. I loved that poem in high school. Loved it
so much that my oldest son's middle name is Eliot!

NikoKat

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

Trish asked:

>Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate
in XS?

I can think of two right off that, to me, make their own images:

"And miles to go before I sleep...And miles to go before I sleep" (Frost)

"Not in the stars but in ourselves lies destiny." (Shakespeare)

Jenny

Jedi

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

Kathy Hoover wrote:
<snip>

> In high school our English class was reading The Inferno, and visited
> the Duke University Library's Rare Book Room to view their copy (1 of
> only 5 in existence)of a folio of illustrations for The Inferno, done
> by Salvador Dali, the surrealist painter. They were absolutly
> incredible and hellish and strange and wonderful, and too scary to
> hang on the wall, even in cross stitch, but wow what a challenge
> they would be!
>
> Kathy Hoover

I like Salvador Dali's work too have you seen the one that is the
crucifixion scene viewed from above. I wish I knew its title, but
the first time I saw it, it took my breath away and still does even as
I remember it. I would love to find it again.

cwiley

--
X/USA/-/Y26,Y20/-/2D/X,R,H,N/0/:-D~,trying to learn to be :-X/L/NG/W+/D/M/B+/b/R~/S/Kc/E/C+/J-/Tom Selleck,Mel Gibson/Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Robin Cook/flipz

Glenis Pickering

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

In article <347133b7...@news.cww.de>,
chate...@cww.de (Martina Weber) wrote:

>But I would as well love to see an embroidery of "Wuthering Heights"

*WHAT* a good idea! Marilyn - you listening?
When you've done the Tolkien...?
<vbg>
Glenis

X/Eng/S/-/-/T/XCrK/0/:-X/Fr/G/W-/D/M/B/b/R(wifli)/
S/K/E-(y)/-/J/1C3B/Gandalf,Helene Hanff,chocolate

EleanorCJ

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

>Any book by Elizabeth Goudge is packed with word pictures so clear and
>cherishable they beg to be hugged and then stitched or painted or sketched.
>Her
>characters, too.

How did you know I'm reading "The Scent of Water"? Just finished "The Castle
on the Hill" Monday ... I love her books!!!

Eleanor

X/USA/W++/--/4C,2D/XN/O/:-X/P/G/W+/D/M/B/b++/R+/S/Kc/E/C+/J--/C/Melissa
Etheridge, Spider Robinson, gingersnaps/Pat Buckley Moss (charted by June Grigg)

Lori Coulson

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

NikoKat (nik...@aol.com) wrote:
: Trish asked:

: >Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate
: in XS?

: I can think of two right off that, to me, make their own images:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
: "And miles to go before I sleep...And miles to go before I sleep" (Frost)

: "Not in the stars but in ourselves lies destiny." (Shakespeare)

: Jenny
...Or do you still wait for me, Dream Giver...
Just around the riverbend? Pocahontas

Morgan Parker

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

> Trish Lavis wrote:
> >
> > I found a dusty old book the other day: it was my high school poetry text. I sat
> > down to read and realised I must be a bit of a poetry nut, 'cause I've managed
> > to memorise so many of the poems as well as others that Mum taught me etc.
> >
> > I reached the section on Gerard Manley Hopkins and began to recite my utterly
> > favourite poem, _The Windhover_.
> >
> > 'I caught this morning morning's minion, kingdom of daylight's dauphin,
> > Dapple dawn-drawn falcon in his riding
> > Of the rolling, level underneath-him-steady air...'
> >
> > I had such a perfect picture of this in my mind that I thought 'This would make
> > a brilliant XS!' Then I began to read other poems and stitch them mentally. Talk
> > about Treasure Trove!
> >
> > 'No man is an ilande, intire of itself. Every man is a peece of the Continent, a
> > part of the Maine...' John Donne
> >
> > 'Down the road came laughing Mary and the beast that she bestrode
> > Was Maloney's sorry piebald she had found beside the road...' John O'Brien
> >
> > I had a really lovely time imagining how I would design all sorts of XS
> > renditions of these wonderful works and thought 'What about everyone else?'
> >
> > Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate in
> > XS? Shakespeare? John Donne? Keats? Wordsworth? etc etc
> >
> > Trish {|:-}

I would love to cross stitch a poem which I think is by Robert Frost and
a I think is entitled "Ode to a Tree". I imagine the poem in the center
with an outline of a tree around it. The tree will be darkly filled on
the edges and lightening to the center where the poem is. I can't
decide if the tree would be a maple or an English oak. I suppose I
would have to read the poem again to see if it had any references to the
particular variety and XS that one.

Regards,

- Morgan
Berkshire, England

Nann Blaine Hilyard

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

Richard LeGalliene's "I Meant to Do My Work Today...."
or
Gerard Manley Hopkins' "Glory Be to God for Dappled Things"

Nann

Matthew & Kathy Hoover

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

In article <19971119133...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
elea...@aol.com says...
My favorite Goudge book will always be The Little White Horse
(actually a unicorn!), but I also liked The White Witch and
just about all of her books, as well!

Kathy Hoover

Joarch

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

For me it would be John Ciardi's poem, "Most Like an Arch This Marriage."
I'm seeing a stone bridge with a stream and a few wildflowers at the bottom.

DonnaJ

X/USA/H3+/X10,Y8/2C/XNCHD/OQ/-X/L/G-/Wo/DMC+/M/B/b+/R+10~/S++/Kc/E/C+/J/DH/John
Irving/anything salty

Morgan Parker

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

Trish Lavis wrote:
> Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate in
> XS? Shakespeare? John Donne? Keats? Wordsworth? etc etc

I'm in the middle of cross stitching something for my brother and his
wife for their wedding (at the end of August this summer. I had hoped
to get it finished by Christmas, but it looks like it might be a first
anniversary present) that contains the quote:

"We are each of us angels with only one wing,
and we can only fly embracing each other."

--Liciano De Crescenzo

My DF sent that to me when we were first dating. I will XS for him as a
wedding present the other one he sent:

"Come to the edge," he said.
They said, "We are afraid."
"Come to the edge," he said.
They came.
He pushed...and they flew.

-- Guillaume Apollinaire

Big SIGH, I think he's wonderful...

Regards,

- Morgan

Off to go home in a very happy mood now...

SHINE03548

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

i personally like Jabberwocky. Patricia Anderle has done lines from Christina
Rossetti's poem about goblin men. i believe the name is the Goblin Market. i
did this for my youngest daughter who just loved it.
mary

Trish Lavis

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 22:28:35 -0800, Laurie Graham <dbgr...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>It'd be a toss-up between Don Quixote and Dante's Inferno. Although
>Chaucer has something to be said for him....Hmmmm. I'll have to go dig
>up some olde books myself.
>
>LSG

Wow! That's a good idea! Imagine a series of the Inferno and one of The
Canterbury Tales! Except, The Miller's tale would be a bit - racy?-to be hanging
on our walls.

Trish {|:-}

Trish Lavis

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

Hnnnh! Yes! I *love* GM Hopkins. And what about Hurrahing in Harvest? And
there's a poem that begins 'Busie olde foole, unrulye sunne...' - I think it
was by John Donne - which would make a lovely opportunity to do a design of the
world waking up (think of all the birds and animals you could add).

Others:
Ode to his Mistris on Going to Bed - Donne(?)
Ode to a Grecian Urn - Keats
Ode to Autumn - Keats
How They Brought the Good News Form Ghent to Aix - Robert Browning
(one for the horse lovers among us - never ceases to make me cry!)

La Belle Dame Sans Merci - Keats(?) Whee! One for TW!
Oh what can ail thee, Knight at arms, alone and palely loitering
The sedge hath withered from the lake and no birds sing...

The harp that once through Tara's halls
The soul of Music shed
Now hangs as mute on Tara's walls
As if that soul were fled... Thomas Moore

Or *what about* the bit from A Midsummer Night's Dream:
You spotted snakes with double tongue, thorny hedgehogs be not seen
Newts and blind worms do no wrong, come not near our fairy queen.

Abou ben Adhem - Leigh Hunt
Oo-er! MLI could do that one!

Abou ben Adhem, (may his tribe increase)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace
And saw within the moonlight in his room
Making it rich and like a lily in bloom
An angel writing in a book of gold:
Exceeding peace had made ben Adhem bold
And to the presence in the room he said,
"What writest thou?" - The vision raised its head
And with a look made of all sweet accord
Answered "The names of those who love the Lord"
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low
But cheerily still; and said, "I pray thee then,
Write me as one who loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light
And show'd the names of those whom love of God had blessed
And lo! ben Adhem's name led all the rest!

Finally, for those of us in Oz

Clancy of the Overflow - Banjo Paterson
Bellbirds - Henry Kendall
My Country - Dorothea MacKellar
The Man From Snowy River - Banjo Paterson
...He sent the flint-stones(!) flying but the pony kept his feet
He cleared the fallen timber in his stride
And the man from Snowy River never shifted in his seat -
It was grand to see the mountain horseman ride.
Through the stringybarks and saplings on the rough and broken ground
Down the hillside at a racing pace he went
And he never drew the bridle till he landed safe and sound at the bottom of that
terrible descent.

Trish {|:-}

Chris & Pam Pemberton

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97
to Anna Flaherty

Anna Flaherty wrote:

> *lurk mode off*
>
> I've always wanted to do a xstitch version of Kipling's 'If'. I think it's
> a wonderful lesson in what it means to be mature.
>
> "If you can keep your head when all about you
> Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
> If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
> But make allowance for their doubting too;
> If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
> Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
> Or being hated don't give way to hating,
> and yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
>
> If you can dream- and not make dreams your master;
> If you can think-and not make thoughts your aim
> If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
> And treat those two impostors just the same;
> If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
> Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
> Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
> And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;"
>
> I once saw a sampler of it, so if anyone knows of a kit or pattern, I'd
> love to be able to find one.
>
> Anna

Hello Anna

Welcome to RCTN.

My dad lived, and raised us, by the tenets of Kipling's "If" - he didn't
preach it at all, but had a framed copy and taught us by example. When
he died late last year, one of my brothers designed and produced the
order of service for the funeral, and reproduced "If" on the back cover.
So many people who attended the funeral, especially friends and
colleagues, said that it summed Dad up to a 't'. I have started to
design a sampler of the poem in memory of my father and have the idea of
making 6 (personalised in some way) versions - one for each of my
siblings.

Apart from that I collect sayings, quotations and ditties and have a
whole file in WordPerfect for use in small xs gifts. I also have a
handy little book called "Women in Quote" organized under a range of
headings - Communication, Society, Self Discovery, etc. - which have a
great range of quotes from funny, witty to serious, thoughtful, etc.

This is one for those of us who have lots of UFOs
"One should never be sorry one has attempted something new - never
never, never." Sybil Thorndike

Pam P.
"I always find that statistics are hard to swallow and impossible to
digest. The only one I can ever remember is that if all the people who
go to sleep in church were laid end to end they would be a lot more
comfortable" Mrs Robert A. Taft.

Cindy Benson

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

(Martina Weber) wrote:

> >But I would as well love to see an embroidery of "Wuthering Heights"
>
> *WHAT* a good idea! Marilyn - you listening?
> When you've done the Tolkien...?
> <vbg>
> Glenis

*Down on my hands and knees <BEGGING>*
Please, Please, Please, Please, Pease!!!!
(and how about Jane Eyre while you're at it? <vbg>)

_______________________________
Cindy Benson - Montreal, QC

X/CAN/H++/-/-/1D/x/0/:-D~/L/G/W+/M/M+/B+/b/R+/S-/Kc/E+/Antonio
Banderas/Anne Rice/hot scones w/ sweet butter and English Breakfast tea

Robertmoss

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

Definitely Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy! Jane Austen is one of my favorite
authors!

Lynda

Trish Lavis

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:10:23 GMT, chate...@cww.de (Martina Weber) wrote:

>I do have al ot of favourite poems and/or plays and/or novels....but
>they are mostly German ones, e.g. "Herr von Ribbeck auf Ribbeck im
>Havelland" / Theodor Fontane or some poems of Rainer Maria Rilke ...

>But I would as well love to see an embroidery of "Wuthering Heights"

>or Ophelia in "Hamlet", lying in the waters all coverded with flowers,
>her hair swirling around her...seems, I'm getting morbide here.....
>what about the sirenes singing to Odysseus and his men - a lovely
>chance for a tapestry at least :))
>Martina
>"Chātelaine"
>Duisburg/Germany
>http://www.chatelaine.net ==>new FREE chart & contest

That's a good idea too! It would be great if we could persuade dear MLI to do a
series on women in Literature. Juliet... Ophelia... Cordelia... The Lady of
Shallott... (not forgetting that we asked for operatic heroines first, mind).

And scenes from mythology: the goddesses would make a fabbo series, as would the
Wagnerian operas (oooo- 'Parsifal!') and, and, and... I better shuddup... I get
carried away!

Oh - one last thing - *I* would love some designs on Irish mythological figures,
like Bride, the Morrigan, Niamh and Deirdre. And Cuchulain. Finn MacCumhail and
I'm doing it again. You get my drift, though?

Trish {|:-}

Trish Lavis

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:22:38 -0500, Dennis & Karen Eichorst
<cichlid....@eznet.net> wrote:

>I love Poe's poetry. I would jump at doing El Dorado, Annabelle Lee, or
>The Raven.
>
>Karen E., Rochester, NY

Ooohh - yes! Especially The Raven. Only, you caouldn't have a speech balloon
coming out of his mouth going 'Nevermore', could you? I've always had a secret
fantasy of capturing a baby raven and teaching it to say 'Nevermore', however,
I'm not certain whether Oz ravens are capable of speech. They basically go
'Kaa-aaa-rk' in a really loud death-rattley voice...

Trish {|:-}

Matthew & Kathy Hoover

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

In article <34735300...@news.ozemail.com.au>, pla...@ozemail.com.au
says...

> The Man From Snowy River - Banjo Paterson
> ...He sent the flint-stones(!) flying but the pony kept his feet
> He cleared the fallen timber in his stride
> And the man from Snowy River never shifted in his seat -
> It was grand to see the mountain horseman ride.
> Through the stringybarks and saplings on the rough and broken ground
> Down the hillside at a racing pace he went
> And he never drew the bridle till he landed safe and sound at the bottom of that
> terrible descent.

I can just see this scene from the Snowy River movie!
What a great XS it would make with the poem above....

Another I would like is Robert Frost's The Runaway, about the
Morgan colt and the Vermont stone wall...I can see it in my
mind so clearly.....

Kathy

Owned-by-cats

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

This thread has me wondering about something. I *love* quotes, and I
have
often thought about designing some of my favorites in cross stitch. If I
use
a quote from a published source (say, Bartlett's Quotations) and cite
the
speaker, and sell these designs, do I have to pay royalties or obtain
the
speaker's permission or the permission of the estate if that person is
deceased? I see posters with Sojourner Truth and her wonderful words,
and
I'd like to use those words in a chart of my own. There are others, too.
I don't know the legalities of it all, though. I'm not asking for legal
counsel here--just wondering if anyone out there knows more than I go on
the matter.

Thanks
Alicia
ownedbycats at mindspring dot com or the above addy minus spamblock

remove NOSPAM from addy to reply
X/usa/DBF+3/-/-/5C/1D/X/OH/:-X/P/GG-NG/Wo/DMC/M/B/B/R~/S-/Kc/
E/-*/-*/Patrick Stewart, Mel Gibson/Elizabeth Peters/Everlasting
Gobstoppers,
Chili Cheese Fritos, chocolate
*don't care one way or the other

Cindy Benson

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

Robertmoss <rober...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19971120232...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

I *promise* to name my first born after the designer who does this one!
(regardless of the child's gender).

<swooning over Colin Firth's portrayal>

Trish Lavis

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

On 21 Nov 1997 03:47:03 GMT, mhoo...@gte.net (Matthew & Kathy Hoover) wrote:

>I can just see this scene from the Snowy River movie!
>What a great XS it would make with the poem above....
>
>Another I would like is Robert Frost's The Runaway, about the
>Morgan colt and the Vermont stone wall...I can see it in my
>mind so clearly.....
>
>Kathy

Yeah, Banjo Paterson did great word pictures. There are many Oz poets who worked
wonders accurately painting our unique bushland.

I wouldn't mind an URL to read Robert Frost from??? (I think I only have British
poets in my library at present - the rest are at Mum's).

BUT - here's another bijou-threadette for you -

*What about really good horse poems to work in XS?*

I'd vote for
Man From Snowy River by Banjo Paterson
(anyone want the full version - I could probably type it all out for you)

How They Brought The Good News from Ghent to Aix by Robert Browning

'I sprang to the stirrup and Joris and he:
I galloped, Dirck galloped, we galloped all three;
'God speed!' cried the watch as the gate bolts undrew;
'Speed!' echoed the wall to us galloping through;
Behind shut the postern, the lights sank to rest
And into the midnight we galloped abreast."

Isn't that the *best* representation of a canter you've ever heard?
I've always thought that one would be good set to music and used in freestyle
dressage. (Any other dressage freaks out there?)

Oh - and one other: that gorgeous bit from Job that goes something like 'he
paweth in the valleys'.

And _The Highwayman_ by a bloke whose name I temporarily disremember
"..and the highwayman came riding, riding, riding:
The highwayman came riding up to the old Inn door."
I can just imagine Bess, the landlord's blackeyed daughter, looking out of her
window at the lace-jaboted highwayman on his brave steed!

Does anyone know of a designer who specialises in horses? I'm aware of Grahame
Ross, but I mean someone who's familiar with the correct anatomy of a horse in
all its gaits, not just from the neck up. Some of the specialist books I've seen
are truly gross in that the hindlegs usually look as though they're about to
bend *forward* at the hock! And you need to know how a fetlock works in order to
draw/paint/chart it properly. Also, mares are different from stallions. And
ponies are built differently from horses.

What about a series on great horses from history: Marengo (Duke of Wellington),
Bucephalus (Alexander the Great), the Godolphin Barb, the Darley Arabian, the
Byerly Turk even poor old Rosinante from Don Quixote?
Ranting again...

Trish {|:-}

Matthew & Kathy Hoover

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

> BUT - here's another bijou-threadette for you -
>
> *What about really good horse poems to work in XS?*
>
> I'd vote for
> Man From Snowy River by Banjo Paterson
> (anyone want the full version - I could probably type it all out for you)
>
> How They Brought The Good News from Ghent to Aix by Robert Browning
>
> 'I sprang to the stirrup and Joris and he:
> I galloped, Dirck galloped, we galloped all three;
> 'God speed!' cried the watch as the gate bolts undrew;
> 'Speed!' echoed the wall to us galloping through;
> Behind shut the postern, the lights sank to rest
> And into the midnight we galloped abreast."
>
> Isn't that the *best* representation of a canter you've ever heard?
> I've always thought that one would be good set to music and used in freestyle
> dressage. (Any other dressage freaks out there?)

I have always wanted to see a dressage test to the song "Dreamweaver"

I did see one to "Putting on the Ritz"...a gray Andalusian in red
bridle and leg wraps, with the rider in black tux and red accessories
struttin their stuff! WOW! Freestyle dressage like this should be
marketed to the masses IMHO.....

> Oh - and one other: that gorgeous bit from Job that goes something like 'he
> paweth in the valleys'.
>
> And _The Highwayman_ by a bloke whose name I temporarily disremember
> "..and the highwayman came riding, riding, riding:
> The highwayman came riding up to the old Inn door."
> I can just imagine Bess, the landlord's blackeyed daughter, looking out of her
> window at the lace-jaboted highwayman on his brave steed!
>
> Does anyone know of a designer who specialises in horses? I'm aware of Grahame
> Ross, but I mean someone who's familiar with the correct anatomy of a horse in
> all its gaits, not just from the neck up. Some of the specialist books I've seen

Trish, I tend to agree, but there are a couple of designer houses I
like...Pegasus Originals and Stoney Creek have some nice horse things.
TW's carousel and rocking horses are great fantasy types. I also
really like Jan Sorrels of Sporting Masters. I have a bunch of her
horses.

I have a suggestion for designers who can do horses, which sort
of goes with this thread...I would like to see a series of international
designs of horses and sleighs (not necessarily Christmas types)
from different countries. I really want a Russian 'troika' sleigh,
pulled by three horses, but also ones from England, northern Europe,
and North America.

I also like your idea for a series on great horses of history...
I'd also like to see famous race horses like Man O'War and show
jumpers like Gem Twist, maybe with their pedigrees....that would
be so cool! Also great fictional horses like Black Beauty, Flicka,
the Black Stallion (and Flame too!). And of course, National Velvet's
Pie....

Joining Trish in her horsey rant.....

Kathy Hoover
8-)

Teresa Wentzler

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.971118122605.21607A-100000@gbc>,
Margaret Whittleton <mwhi...@gbrownc.on.ca> wrote:

> Marilyn & Theresa: if you get tired of designing angels or dragons, the
> group has some great suggestions <G>
>
> Personally, I would like to see the Lady of Shallot, or Portia (so many of
> Shakespeare's women would be great as stitched pieces), or Biblical women
> such as Ruth and Naomi (great for a beloved MIL).
>
> I would think that for many designers that must be the problem - so many
> ideas and so little time.
>
> Marg

Hi Marg, I have just designed a Lady of Shalott...she should be available
any day now. Hope you enjoy her!

Teresa

Chris & Pam Pemberton

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

Trish Lavis wrote:

> Or *what about* the bit from A Midsummer Night's Dream:
> You spotted snakes with double tongue, thorny hedgehogs be not seen
> Newts and blind worms do no wrong, come not near our fairy queen.

Actually, I'd like to do the three crones from 'Macbeth'. And some of
Oscar Wilde's characters - Lady Bracknell from 'The Importance of Being
Earnest'; and Salome addressing the head of Jokanaan on a silver
platter; and perhaps The Canterville Ghost; and of course Dorian Gray
with the portrait.

Pam P.

Gadfly NI

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

I don't often post but felt that for this I'd just have to!

For me it would have to be the following lines from William Blake

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

These come from Auguries of Innocence and just make me feel so tranquil and
serene that I would love to see them stitched. I've always imagined it
stitched as a sandy beach with poppies gently moving in the breeze and a figure
sitting on the beach letting the sand slowly sift through her fingers.

Stephanie Peters

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

"Tara Dewdney" <mand...@echo-on.net> wrote:
>Thank goodness I've never mey anyone named Ramsbottom, I'd just burst a gut
>laughing and they'd have no clue. ;-)

There's a really good stitching shop in Ramsbottom Tara, so if you're
ever in England go and see. Do you realise Albert and the Lion takes
about 15 minutes to recite? I've only ever heard it, as opposed to read
it, but it must go on for pages and pages.

Steph Peters, Manchester, England
email: delete REMOVE_NOSPAM from
st...@sandbenders.demon.REMOVE_NOSPAM.co.uk
Tatting, lace & stitching page http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/
#cyclist on #stitch

Kotchka

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

maybe Carl Sandberg's FOG:

The fog comes on little cat feet,
It rests (stops?) for a while, then
Moves on

(i'm sure I've butchered it horribly, but this is as best I can remember
it)
--
Kotchka
---

X/USA/H+++/Y8,Y4,Y2/3C/CT,H,X,N,Q/O,S,Q/:-X/L,P/G-/Wsometimes/Misc.Fibers/M+
/B-/b-/R+mood/S-/Kc/E++/CJneutral/VDH,Janice Love, chocolate covered
peanuts
WE are the music makers
and
WE are the dreamers of dreams
-- Willy Wonka

Mcfdyn

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

>And _The Highwayman_ by a bloke whose name I temporarily >disremember
His name was Alfred Noyes . we read that in rt high and i loved it (which
surprised some of the teachers--that was considered a "boys" poem by them--i
guess because of all the gore and blood description--others who knew my reading
habits (john tunis, John anderson, etc) just shrugged LOL

kathy (mcf...@aol.com) san antonio
X/USA/S+/0/0/2D/X, K,Cr, N/Q,
H/:-D/na/na/W+/D/M-/B-/b/R+10-20/S/K-/E-/C+/j.Brett Butler (LA Dodgers)/Leon
Uris, James Michener, mysteries/choco and anything fattening or not good for
ya.

brad&...@caslink.com

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

In article <3475C1...@nospam.email.uncc.edu>,
ali0...@nospam.email.uncc.edu wrote:

big snip of contents

> Thanks
> Alicia
> ownedbycats at mindspring dot com or the above addy minus spamblock
>
> remove NOSPAM from addy to reply
> X/usa/DBF+3/-/-/5C/1D/X/OH/:-X/P/GG-NG/Wo/DMC/M/B/B/R~/S-/Kc/
> E/-*/-*/Patrick Stewart, Mel Gibson/Elizabeth Peters/Everlasting
> Gobstoppers,
> Chili Cheese Fritos, chocolate
> *don't care one way or the other

I've been off the newsgroup for a few weeks (changing Internet providers
& probably will be changing again soon), but can you give me a hint about
these secret code sigfiles (X/usa/DBF .... etc.)????? Thanks

Also, someone has probably already mentioned it - but how about "The
Scarlet Letter" by N. Hawthorne???

Debbie F. in St. Leonard, Maryland

Nancy DeWolf

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

I'm going to end up reading more poetry than stitching by contributing
to this thread but here's three I'd love to stitch (especially the
first and last):

The Road Not Taken (Robert Frost), the whole poem but especially the
lines that say "Oh, I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how
way leads on to way, I doubted I should ever come back. I shall be
telling this with a sigh, Somewhere ages and ages hence, Two roads
diverged in a yellow wood, and I --, I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference." Reading that poem sometime in
high school meant so much to me and has really influenced how I lead
my life.

Nothing Gold Can Stay (Robert Frost)

How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways (Elizabeth Barrett
Browning), I read this to my husband during our wedding ceremony.

Yep, I was right, while writing this I wound my way through 4 or 5
books of poetry and read lots of wonderful words, evoked many images
and memories (especially of why I loved this or that poem and of the
people with whom I've shared my love of poetry over the years and the
cousin who bought me my first book of poetry, 17 years ago and I still
have it and love it). I realized though, as I read them, that there
are very few I'd want to stitch and have hanging on my walls, probably
because their meaning for me, is too personal to display ("i like my
body when it is with your" by e.e. cummings, for example).

This is a great thread though, and I'm really enjoying reading other
people's XS literature picks. I think Jenny's lines from "Stopping By
Woods on a Snowy Evening" (Frost) would be another one I'd probably
do too. Btw, if anyone knows of any charts for any of the three I
mentioned, would you please email me?! (When I posted a request for
"The Road Not Taken" a few years ago, many people suggested I chart it
myself, while I appreciate their help, I don't want just the words, I
want images to go with them and I definitely do not feel that I am up
to that challenge so I choose to keep wonderful designers publishing
by buying their work!) Thanks in advance for any help!

Nancy

On 19 Nov 1997 14:07:51 -0500, lcou...@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Lori
Coulson) wrote:

>NikoKat (nik...@aol.com) wrote:
>: Trish asked:
>
>: >Do others have favourite lines or pieces of literature they would illustrate
>: in XS?
>
>: I can think of two right off that, to me, make their own images:
>

>The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
>But I have promises to keep,
>: "And miles to go before I sleep...And miles to go before I sleep" (Frost)
>
>: "Not in the stars but in ourselves lies destiny." (Shakespeare)
>
>: Jenny
>--
>...Or do you still wait for me, Dream Giver...
> Just around the riverbend? Pocahontas

nde...@tir.com
Coordinator of the MLI Santa of the Forest and
Guardian Angel email support groups

Laurie Graham

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Nancy DeWolf wrote:

> I'm going to end up reading more poetry than stitching by contributing
> to this thread but here's three I'd love to stitch (especially the
> first and last):
> <snip Nancy's picks> I realized though, as I read them, that there

> are very few I'd want to stitch and have hanging on my walls, probably
> because their meaning for me, is too personal to display ("i like my
> body when it is with your" by e.e. cummings, for example).
>
> This is a great thread though, and I'm really enjoying reading other
> people's XS literature picks.<snip>
>
> Nancy

I love e.e. cummings! I don't know, this one might make a nice boudoir
picture, done in dark roses shading to reds (watercolours "flame"
maybe?), w/ an appropriately erotic border. How about "grasshopper"?
Wouldn't that make an interesting piece, w/ a grasshopper
border....Hmmmm. Or how about "in the spring when all the world is
mudluscious..." What a great image! I love that word. Every spring now
I walk around saying "mudluscious" to myself.

LSG

AJ Bennett

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97
to mar...@tiag.com

Marilyn, I don't know if you saw Theresa's response but she has a Lady
of Shallot ready to go. Now you have to design yours. I would love to
see them side-by-side. It will be incredibly interesting to see the
differences you have. Please don't forgo your idea. What you described
so far sounds great. Ann

Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum wrote:

> Margaret Whittleton wrote:
> >
> > Marilyn & Theresa: if you get tired of designing angels or dragons, the
> > group has some great suggestions <G>
> >
> > Personally, I would like to see the Lady of Shallot, or Portia (so many of
> > Shakespeare's women would be great as stitched pieces), or Biblical women
> > such as Ruth and Naomi (great for a beloved MIL).
> >
> > I would think that for many designers that must be the problem - so many
> > ideas and so little time.
> >
> > Marg
>

> Sounds wonderful....I have had a Lady of Shallot in my mind for
> sometime. I see satin stitches and fine beads with her hair flowing over
> her shoulders...her eyes toward the stars, with each drape of the gown
> reflecting her hearts longing...OK OK OK someone stop me! I do get
> carried away with these visions...Now if I didn't have a family that
> includes two small children and a business to run I would come up with
> 5-6 designs a month and you folks can't stitch that fast sooooo....I
> guess it all gets done in the right timing for everyone?
> marilyn

Dinnenys

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97
to nde...@tir.com

Nancy,

There is a cross-stitch pattern for "How Do I Love Thee?" by Browning.
I have it. It's kinda simplistic, mostly just the poem with a few
flowers around it. Interested? I can dig it up and give you more info.

Darcy

Nancy DeWolf wrote:

> I'm going to end up reading more poetry than stitching by contributing
> to this thread but here's three I'd love to stitch (especially the
> first and last):
>

> The Road Not Taken (Robert Frost), the whole poem but especially the
> lines that say "Oh, I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how
> way leads on to way, I doubted I should ever come back. I shall be
> telling this with a sigh, Somewhere ages and ages hence, Two roads
> diverged in a yellow wood, and I --, I took the one less travelled by,
> And that has made all the difference." Reading that poem sometime in
> high school meant so much to me and has really influenced how I lead
> my life.
>
> Nothing Gold Can Stay (Robert Frost)
>
> How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways (Elizabeth Barrett
> Browning), I read this to my husband during our wedding ceremony.
>
> Yep, I was right, while writing this I wound my way through 4 or 5
> books of poetry and read lots of wonderful words, evoked many images
> and memories (especially of why I loved this or that poem and of the
> people with whom I've shared my love of poetry over the years and the
> cousin who bought me my first book of poetry, 17 years ago and I still

> have it and love it). I realized though, as I read them, that there

> are very few I'd want to stitch and have hanging on my walls, probably
> because their meaning for me, is too personal to display ("i like my
> body when it is with your" by e.e. cummings, for example).
>
> This is a great thread though, and I'm really enjoying reading other

Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

OH NO...I'll pass on the Lady for awhile...I have all of those Tolkein
ideas and other todo's waiting...It does seem to happen that great minds
work in the same ditches :)
Marilyn

Margaret Whittleton

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97
to Teresa Wentzler

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Teresa Wentzler wrote:

> Hi Marg, I have just designed a Lady of Shalott...she should be available
> any day now. Hope you enjoy her!
>
> Teresa

Dear Teresa:

Thank you, thank you!!!! My fingers are itching to stitch her already.
I'll be lurking around my local stitching shop until she arrives. My
very first TW!!!! (I better get everything else finished and my scroll
bars ready)

Marg

Chris Braun

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

With apologies for the length of the following:

I've been thinking for a while that I'd love to do Blake's lamb poem:

Little Lamb, who made thee?
Dost thou know who made thee?
Gave thee life, & bid thee feed,
By the streams & o'er the mead;
Gave thee clothing of delight,
Softest clothing, woolly, bright;
Gave thee such a tender voice,
Making all the vales rejoice?
Little Lamb, who made thee?
Dost thou know who made thee?

Little Lamb, I'll tell thee,
Little Lamb, I'll tell thee:
He is callèd by thy name,
For he calls Himself a Lamb,
He is meek, & He is mild;
He became a little child.
I a child, & thou a lamb,
We are callèd by His name.
Little Lamb, God bless thee!
Little Lamb, God bless thee!

I also like his tiger poem ("Tyger! tyger! burning bright") -- maybe
it could be a matched set.

I was also thinking of abridged versions of any of the songs from The
Fantasticks -- perhaps my favorite is Try to Remember. Reproduced
below (thanks to the wonders of the web) -- for those (especially
parents) who haven't had the treat -- is another from The Fantasticks:
Plant a Radish.

Plant a radish.
Get a radish.
Never any doubt.
That's why I love vegetables;
You know what you're about!

Plant a turnip.
Get a turnip.
Maybe you'll get two.
That's why I love vegetables;
You know that they'll come through!

They're dependable!
They're befriendable!
They're the best pal a parent's ever known!
While with children,
It's bewilderin'.
You don't know until the seed is nearly grown
Just what you've sown.

So
Plant a carrot,
Get a carrot,
Not a brussel sprout.
That's why I love vegetables.
You know what you're about!

Life is merry,
If it's very
Vegetarian!
A man who plants a garden
Is a very happy man!

Plant a beanstalk.
Get a beanstalk.
Just the same as Jack.
Then if you don't like it,
You can always take it back!

But if your issue
Doesn't kiss you,
Then I wish you luck.
For once you've planted children,
You're absolutely stuck!

Every turnip green!
Every kidney bean!
Every plant grows according to the plot!

While with progeny,
It's hodge-podgenee.
For as soon as you think you know what kind you've got,
It's what they're not!

So --
Plant a cabbage.
Get a cabbage.
Not a sauerkraut!
That's why I love vegetables.
You know what you're about!

Life is merry
If it's very
Vegetarian.
A man who plants a garden
Is a very happy man!

A vegitari --
Very merry --
Vegetarian!

-------------------
Chris

Owned-by-cats

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Matthew & Kathy Hoover wrote:

<snippity clippity clop>

> I have a suggestion for designers who can do horses, which sort

> of goes with this thread... <nibble>

> I also like your idea for a series on great horses of history...
> I'd also like to see famous race horses like Man O'War and show
> jumpers like Gem Twist, maybe with their pedigrees....that would
> be so cool!

And poor Ruffian who
shattered her leg during the Derby, and I cried every single day for
a week because she had to be put down. Can't breathe during the duration
of the Derby because of that poor beauty.

> Also great fictional horses like Black Beauty, Flicka,
> the Black Stallion (and Flame too!). And of course, National Velvet's
> Pie....

> Joining Trish in her horsey rant.....
>
> Kathy Hoover

Can't forget Misty of Chincoteague and Stormy! And Lil Bud from Justin
Morgan Had A Horse!! And Sham and Lady Roxana...

Alicia
Marguerite Henry fan from the age of 5

MonaLassy

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In article <8802209...@dejanews.com>, t...@microserve.net (Teresa Wentzler)
writes:

>Hi Marg, I have just designed a Lady of Shalott...she should be available
>any day now. Hope you enjoy her!
>
>Teresa

Wow, what service, ...to be perfectly truthful, I am not much of a literary
buff, but will definitly have to look for this one!
thanks Teresa!
Mona

Nancy DeWolf

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:22:36 -0800, Laurie Graham
<dbgr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Nancy DeWolf wrote:

snip

I realized though, as I read them, that there
>> are very few I'd want to stitch and have hanging on my walls, probably
>> because their meaning for me, is too personal to display ("i like my
>> body when it is with your" by e.e. cummings, for example).

snip>>
>> Nancy
>>
>I love e.e. cummings! I don't know, this one might make a nice boudoir
>picture, done in dark roses shading to reds (watercolours "flame"
>maybe?), w/ an appropriately erotic border. How about "grasshopper"?
>Wouldn't that make an interesting piece, w/ a grasshopper
>border....Hmmmm. Or how about "in the spring when all the world is
>mudluscious..." What a great image! I love that word. Every spring now
>I walk around saying "mudluscious" to myself.
>
>LSG

Laurie,

I love it!!! Hmmmmmmm... my husband and I are finishing redecorating
our bedroom and I do need some things for the wall and... the colors
just happen to be cream, burgandy and hunter green...
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Cream linen maybe?? Flame and ?? I'm just going to
have to have S.E.X. soon I think! Have to pass it by DH too, I don't
think he's much of an e.e. cummings fan and this might be too personal
of a "thought" to display (he's a very private person). It is his room
too so I do have to think of that... (but I can be very convincing
when I want to be so... we'll see...)

The curtains are burgandy, the walls are cream, the border (which
we're putting up this weekend) is cream with small burgandy flowers
and green stems, leaves. The quilt (Log Cabin and I only wish I knew
how to quilt to have made it myself) on the bed, which I'm really
hoping to find a cross stitch design to compliment, it is primarily
cream, hunter green and burgandy... you've just given me a WONDERFUL
idea. Don't know about the "appropriately erotic border" though. That
is, don't have any ideas about that, shoot some my way if you do!
Possibly just a very rich floral/viney border in the Flame
watercolors? I've never "designed" anything but this has
possibilities.

I don't think I know "grasshopper" but I'll have to look it up later!
The last one is familiar though! Love "mudlicious!" What a cool word.
Glad to know another e.e. cummings admirer (and one who knows the poem
I mentioned too)!

Nancy

Owned-by-cats

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

brad&deb...@caslink.com wrote:

> In article <3475C1...@nospam.email.uncc.edu>,
> ali0...@nospam.email.uncc.edu wrote:
> >
> big snip of contents
> > Thanks
> > Alicia
> > ownedbycats at mindspring dot com or the above addy minus spamblock
> >
> > remove NOSPAM from addy to reply
> > X/usa/DBF+3/-/-/5C/1D/X/OH/:-X/P/GG-NG/Wo/DMC/M/B/B/R~/S-/Kc/
> > E/-*/-*/Patrick Stewart, Mel Gibson/Elizabeth Peters/Everlasting
> > Gobstoppers,
> > Chili Cheese Fritos, chocolate
> > *don't care one way or the other
>
> I've been off the newsgroup for a few weeks (changing Internet providers
> & probably will be changing again soon), but can you give me a hint about
> these secret code sigfiles (X/usa/DBF .... etc.)????? Thanks
>
> Also, someone has probably already mentioned it - but how about "The
> Scarlet Letter" by N. Hawthorne???
>
> Debbie F. in St. Leonard, Maryland

Hi Debbie,
The letters and digits at the end of my post (and a great honking
plenty of other posts, too) is the Stitcher's Code. Try a DejaNews
search to get the original list, or perhaps someone was smart (unlike
me) and saved it in a format that can be emailed.
Alicia

Gwen

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Nancy DeWolf wrote:

> I'm going to end up reading more poetry than stitching by contributing
> to this thread but here's three I'd love to stitch (especially the
> first and last):
>
> The Road Not Taken (Robert Frost), the whole poem but especially the
> lines that say "Oh, I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how
> way leads on to way, I doubted I should ever come back. I shall be
> telling this with a sigh, Somewhere ages and ages hence, Two roads
> diverged in a yellow wood, and I --, I took the one less travelled by,
> And that has made all the difference." Reading that poem sometime in
> high school meant so much to me and has really influenced how I lead
> my life.
>
> Nothing Gold Can Stay (Robert Frost)
>

> Nancy
>
> On 19 Nov 1997 14:07:51 -0500, lcou...@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Lori
> Coulson) wrote:

EEK! Frost! My junior year English teacher, the wonderful Sister Anne,
recited Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening everyday at the
beginning of class. I can still say the whole thing from memory.

Come to think of it, that would make a great XS gift for her at our ten
year reunion. Great, back to designing again;)
~and X's to go before I sleep, and X's to go before I sleep!~

Gwen

Tara

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

On 22 Nov 1997 17:38:39 GMT, mhoo...@gte.net (Matthew & Kathy Hoover)
wrote:

>I have a suggestion for designers who can do horses, which sort

>of goes with this thread...I would like to see a series of international
>designs of horses and sleighs (not necessarily Christmas types)
>from different countries. I really want a Russian 'troika' sleigh,
>pulled by three horses, but also ones from England, northern Europe,
>and North America.

Ohhh - that would be nice!

>I also like your idea for a series on great horses of history...
>I'd also like to see famous race horses like Man O'War and show
>jumpers like Gem Twist, maybe with their pedigrees....that would

>be so cool! Also great fictional horses like Black Beauty, Flicka,

>the Black Stallion (and Flame too!). And of course, National Velvet's
>Pie....

I'd love to stitch a portrait of the late Gifted in one of his
ground-eating extended canters or trots. Or even of Rembrant in a
piaffe. Beauty - absolute beauty.

And fictional - how about one of M. Henry's horses?

Tara R. Scholtz University of Maryland at College Park
ta...@wam.umd.edu or ts...@umail.umd.edu McKeldin Library
If training has not made a horse more beautiful, nobler in carriage,
more attentive in his behavior, revealing pleasure in his own
accomplishment...then he has not truly been schooled in dressage.
-Col. Handler

Matthew & Kathy Hoover

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

In article <347ADC...@nospam.email.uncc.edu>,
ali0...@nospam.email.uncc.edu says...

> Matthew & Kathy Hoover wrote:
>
> <snippity clippity clop>
> > I have a suggestion for designers who can do horses, which sort
> > of goes with this thread... <nibble>

> > I also like your idea for a series on great horses of history...
> > I'd also like to see famous race horses like Man O'War and show
> > jumpers like Gem Twist, maybe with their pedigrees....that would
> > be so cool!
> And poor Ruffian who
> shattered her leg during the Derby, and I cried every single day for
> a week because she had to be put down. Can't breathe during the duration
> of the Derby because of that poor beauty.

Actually, Ruffian broke her leg in a match race with the Derby winner
that year. Surgery was performed, but she was unable to tolerate the
cast and recovery and was put down. Still just as much a tragedy, and
I cried too...she is buried in the infield of the track where she
broke down. Walter Farley said she was the closest horse to his own
vision of The Black Stallion, despite being a filly. There is a book
about Ruffian, available in paperback, called "Burning from the Start"
by Jane Schwartz. I have one of those collector plates series of
great thoroughbreds, and she is the only filly or mare included so far.
I would love a cross stitch of her, in her glory.

Kathy Hoover

Laurie Graham

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

Nancy DeWolf wrote:
<snip>

> Laurie,
>
> I love it!!! Hmmmmmmm... my husband and I are finishing redecorating
> our bedroom and I do need some things for the wall and... the colors
> just happen to be cream, burgandy and hunter green...
> hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Cream linen maybe?? Flame and ?? I'm just going to
> have to have S.E.X. soon I think! <snip>

> The curtains are burgandy, the walls are cream, the border (which
> we're putting up this weekend) is cream with small burgandy flowers
> and green stems, leaves. The quilt (Log Cabin and I only wish I knew
> how to quilt to have made it myself) on the bed, which I'm really
> hoping to find a cross stitch design to compliment, it is primarily
> cream, hunter green and burgandy... you've just given me a WONDERFUL
> idea. Don't know about the "appropriately erotic border" though. That
> is, don't have any ideas about that, shoot some my way if you do!
> Possibly just a very rich floral/viney border in the Flame
> watercolors? I've never "designed" anything but this has
> possibilities.
> <snip>

> Nancy
> nde...@tir.com
> Coordinator of the MLI Santa of the Forest and
> Guardian Angel email support groups

The vines and flowers sound good for the border. Here's my idea, though.
How about two ribbons twined around each other in dark green and
burgandy w/ just the suggestion of nude bodies to their shape? (I just
sketched this out and it looks good, but *very* erotic! Dark
green-male, burgandy-female.)

LSG

LSG

Nancy DeWolf

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 10:41:58 -0800, Laurie Graham
<dbgr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Nancy DeWolf wrote:
><snip>
>> Laurie,
>>

>>... the colors just happen to be cream, burgandy and hunter green...

snip

>> Possibly just a very rich floral/viney border in the Flame
>> watercolors? I've never "designed" anything but this has
>> possibilities.
>> <snip>
>>
>> Nancy
>

>The vines and flowers sound good for the border. Here's my idea, though.
> How about two ribbons twined around each other in dark green and
>burgandy w/ just the suggestion of nude bodies to their shape? (I just
>sketched this out and it looks good, but *very* erotic! Dark
>green-male, burgandy-female.)
>
>LSG
>
>LSG

Hmmm... I think I like this (though it may be a bit too "bold" for
us)... help me out with something though... are you talking about
ribbon as in a ribbon fiber or as in the image of two ribbons (that
sounds better to me). I don't know if I can draw that or if DH (who I
haven't talked with about this yet) will want that on the wall but it
has very definite possibilities... keep talking Laurie, I love your
ideas!

Laurie Graham

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

They were definately stitched ribbon *shapes*, I'm not good enough at SRE
to get nude body shapes! Wish I could send my sketch, but I don't have a
scanner :(. But if I can get a reasonable sketch of this, I'm sure you
could, too. I have zippo drawing skills.

LSG

MaryPulver

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

In article <34705E...@coastside.net>, Nan <han...@coastside.net> writes:

>Any book by Elizabeth Goudge is packed with word pictures so clear and

cherishable they beg to be hugged and then stitched or painted or sketched.
>Her
characters, too.

Amen, especially IMNTHO _Pilgrim's Inn_.

Mary Monica

Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

MaryPulver

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

This isn't something you could stitich, unless you did something the length of
the Bayeaux Tapestry, but I remember many years ago that someone cut together
fragments of the Packers playing football to illustrate Kipling's "If." I
remember it started with playing running into one another and their helmets
flying and the voice over intoning, "If you can keep your head when all about
you are losing theirs ..." "If you can walk with Kings and keep the common
touch," was illustrated with famous players signing autographs, I think. And
at the end, "... and, which is more, you'll be a man, my son," was illustrated
by someone gently putting one of those warming cloaks around the shoulders of a
proud but exhausted player. Parts of it were hilarious, but overall it eas
very, very touching.

PK

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

*cough*

"t'was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbel in the wabe
all mimsy were the borogroves and the mome wraiths outgrabe"

go ahead. guess.
:-Þ

Peri K.
(in a rather whimsical mood)

phar at west dot net (TIP: read aloud while typing ;-)

X/USA/S+/0/0/2C3M1000S/N,X,p,D,K,Q,TW/MOFS/:-X/MOMS/G/W+/D,M/M+/B+/b/R240/S/

Kc/E++/C/J/Vincent Price, LEWIS CARROLL, poptarts!

:
[...]

Robert Tusler

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

What are the Green Bay Packers - sounds like a fish processing plant?

On 3 Dec 1997 20:32:53 GMT, schmi...@aol.com (Schmitt100) wrote:

>>fragments of the Packers playing football to illustrate Kipling's "If."
>

>Being a Packer Backer (grew up North of Green Bay, if you can believe it!) -
>where is this? what is this? do you have any idea where I would be able to get
>ahold of this?
>
>Rebecca
>
>X/USA/H+/-/-/2B, 1GP (guinea pig)/X,
>T/H,S/:-x/P/G/W+/D/M/B/b/R?/S/K/E/C?/J?/Sean Connery, Mercedes Lackey, cheddar
>& sour cream chips

Robert Tusler
rtu...@unforgettable.com
http:\\www.netcomuk.co.uk\~rtusler

Lori Coulson

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

PK (n...@tellin.com) wrote:
: *cough*

: "t'was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbel in the wabe
: all mimsy were the borogroves and the mome wraiths outgrabe"

: go ahead. guess.
: :-Ţ

Lewis Carroll - "Jabberwocky" I believe.

Lori Coulson

Aramanth Dawe

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

"PK" <n...@tellin.com> wrote:

>*cough*

>"t'was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbel in the wabe
>all mimsy were the borogroves and the mome wraiths outgrabe"

>go ahead. guess.
>:-Ş

>Peri K.
>(in a rather whimsical mood)

Beware the Jabberwock, my son
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch.

Aramanth
(who can still recite the whole darned thing)
X/AUS/H++/X3X1/2C,pond of F/X,Bw,H,N/H,S/:-X+:-D~/L/G-/W+/D/M/B/b++/
R-/S-/K/E/C/J/Nightcrawler/too many to list/RPG/apples and cheese

Dorsey

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Dear Robert:

They are a North American Football team...........and some think the
best......VBG.....Hear" Hail to the Redskins" start playing in the
backround.........see old RFK statium start swaying from all the cheering
and stomping..........but it's MHO that the Red Skins are the best......LOL

Boy could this start a flame war.......;)

Dors ;)
Please visit Rainbow Connection at:
http://home1.gte.net/victorei
where you'll find Cross Stitch and Hardanger Pattern
And
Kevin Scott's fanstic new scroll frame
the Handi-clamp Scroll Frame

Dandalion

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Robert Tusler wrote in message <348747fb...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>...
>What are the Green Bay Packers - sounds like a fish processing plant?

The Packers are a National Football League Franchise, owned by the public,
located in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

(They have a very cute quarterback!!!)

Just MHO
Sara
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.
And dance like nobody is watching." [Author unknown]
mag...@cheerful.com
http://members.tripod.com/~DennerlineS/index.html

Fred Gilligan

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Hail to the Redskins, hail victory,
Braves on the warpath, fight for old D.C.
>From anotber diehard Redskins fan.
Jennifer

Dorsey wrote:

> Dear Robert:
>
> They are a North American Football team...........and some think the
> best......VBG.....Hear" Hail to the Redskins" start playing in the
> backround.........see old RFK statium start swaying from all the cheering
> and stomping..........but it's MHO that the Red Skins are the best......LOL
>
> Boy could this start a flame war.......;)
>
> Dors ;)
> Please visit Rainbow Connection at:
> http://home1.gte.net/victorei
> where you'll find Cross Stitch and Hardanger Pattern
> And
> Kevin Scott's fanstic new scroll frame
> the Handi-clamp Scroll Frame
> Robert Tusler wrote in message <348747fb...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>...
> >What are the Green Bay Packers - sounds like a fish processing plant?

NAN

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

PK wrote:

> *cough*
>
> "t'was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbel in the wabe
> all mimsy were the borogroves and the mome wraiths outgrabe"
>
> go ahead. guess.
> :-Ž

> Peri K.
> (in a rather whimsical mood)

It's by Lewis Carroll, but I can't remember exactly where to find it.
It's not "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," so maybe it's from
"Through the Looking-Glass"? By the way, I thought it was "mome
raths." Am I remembering badly *again*?

Nan

Perry & Lauri

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Matthew & Kathy Hoover wrote:

> Here's another Redskin's fan (got it from grandma)
> despite the new team invasion into my state (NC).
>
> Oh for the days of Jurgenson and Theisman though.....

Ah, Joe Theismann. I really liked him. Were you watching Monday Night
Football the night his leg was broken? Honestly, they couldn't have
shown the replay any more than they did, could they? ish

Diane

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Being a Packer Backer (who is attempting to get my hands on some stock for
gifts this year), I do think they are the best. We did win the last Super
Bowl, and plan to do it again. Go Pack!!!

Besides, these guys really do make great role models for our kids. (I'm not
aware of any other team that has a minister on their player roster.) Reggie
White is my son's role model, he goes to Packer camp each summer to learn
from him and Robert Brooks and the rest of the guys. Great way for a kid to
spend his fourth of July weekend, and really neat for the players to give
these kids the opportunity.

I am not attempting to start a flame war, just stating my support for my
favorite team. I am fully aware that there are a lot of great teams out
there with some really talented players, they just aren't my first
choice.<G>

P.S. They got their name from the meat packaging company that first
sponsored them, so that wasn't too bad a guess.

Diane Enchantments

Matthew & Kathy Hoover

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Here's another Redskin's fan (got it from grandma)
despite the new team invasion into my state (NC).

Oh for the days of Jurgenson and Theisman though.....

Kathy Hoover
(anybody know that Sonny went to Duke way back when,
---when we used to play better! I think I'll stick
to basketball from now on....WE'RE NUMBER ONE !!!!)

In article <348893...@erols.com>, fgi...@erols.com says...

> Hail to the Redskins, hail victory,
> Braves on the warpath, fight for old D.C.
> >From anotber diehard Redskins fan.
> Jennifer
> Dorsey wrote:
> >

> > Dear Robert:
> >
> > They are a North American Football team...........and some think the
> > best......VBG.....Hear" Hail to the Redskins" start playing in the
> > backround.........see old RFK statium start swaying from all the cheering
> > and stomping..........but it's MHO that the Red Skins are the best......LOL
> >
> > Boy could this start a flame war.......;)
> >
> > Dors ;)

> > Robert Tusler wrote in message <348747fb...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>...
> > >What are the Green Bay Packers - sounds like a fish processing plant?

Trish Lavis

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

On Fri, 05 Dec 1997 22:49:57 GMT, ma...@ozemail.com.au (Aramanth Dawe) wrote:

>"PK" <n...@tellin.com> wrote:
>
>>*cough*
>
>>"t'was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbel in the wabe
>>all mimsy were the borogroves and the mome wraiths outgrabe"

>Beware the Jabberwock, my son

>The jaws that bite, the claws that catch.
>
>Aramanth
>(who can still recite the whole darned thing)
>--

Yo Aramanth!

Have you got The Hunting of the Snark on CD? The one with Cliff Richard and Art
Garfunkel etc etc? DS and I play it all the time. Our biggest claim to fame is
teaching Ellie to recite The Owl and the Pussycat when she was just two. I'm big
on recitation (believe it enhances the memory) and plan to teach her heaps of
poems as she gets older.

Trish {|:-}

PS How's your Dad?

Dorsey

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

I'll tell you what.........I'd trade a day of unlimited S.E.X for this combo
back........Riggins, Hamburger, Jurenson, Brown,Taylor, the smurf and Old
Hogs.............and of course the Super Bowl being played in RFK ----Skins
vs Dallas.......and seats any where in the satidum just to see the
game.......

Perry & Lauri wrote in message <3488BC2F...@tcd.net>...

>Matthew & Kathy Hoover wrote:
>>

>> Here's another Redskin's fan (got it from grandma)
>> despite the new team invasion into my state (NC).
>>
>> Oh for the days of Jurgenson and Theisman though.....

Chris & Pam Pemberton

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Dorsey wrote:

> Dear Robert:
>
> They are a North American Football team...........and some think the
> best......VBG.....Hear" Hail to the Redskins" start playing in the
> backround.........see old RFK statium start swaying from all the cheering
> and stomping..........but it's MHO that the Red Skins are the best......LOL
>
> Boy could this start a flame war.......;)

Ooooooooohhhhhhh, Cooooooome Ooooooonnnnnnnn. *That's* not football!

*This* is football ... <zigzagging and dribbling the ball along the
carpet with her feet> ... *soccer* I mean. Games where you pick up the
ball and run along with under your arm and throw it to each other is
*handball*... Rugby and gridiron .... *they're* not *football!* <only
half-joking>
<VBG> Not the flame war you expected, eh Dorsey?

Pam P. (ducking for cover behind the computer. 8^))

SugarBoben

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Or what about the Super Bowl where Tim Krumrie of the Bengals snapped his
knee/leg... Ouch! I still hae nigtmares about that one! (Can't determine if
it was the break or the loss that scares me more!)

Still praying for a Bengals Super Bowl Victory....
As if that will happen in my lifetime!

Marci
Sugar...@aol.com
"Anything less than 2 karats is a 'friendship' ring."
http://members.aol.com/sugarboben/index.html

Dorsey

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Pam:

Yup.......that's part of it. My two boys are very into soccer and insist
that it's the "REAL" not yelling just emphising---football. Can you imanage
the "flame war".........American Football vs Candain Football vs Foot ball
across the pond vs Football from Down under vs...........well you get the
point. Add that to, if your at least a thimble's worth of passionate about
your faviorite team compaired to what I am for the Skins..............VBG

Uuuuummmmmm...........Pam I have this bomb shelter......vbg........it's
really big, filled with comfy chairs,perfact light,and the biggest ever
stash..........well I'm heading for it.........it's ever so much safer than
hiding behind the computer........LOL........

Dors ;)
Please visit Rainbow Connection at:
http://home1.gte.net/victorei
where you'll find Cross Stitch and Hardanger Pattern
And
Kevin Scott's fanstic new scroll frame
the Handi-clamp Scroll Frame

mary pleiss

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

I swear I'm not making this up...

*Just* as I was reading this post, I saw Peyton Manning trhow a
touchdown pass to bring TN within 3 points or so of Auburn, and then
Auburn ran the blocked extra point back for 2. I LOVE college
football!

Mary (3rd-generation, 30-year Nebraska fan...through thick and thin
and all those games in Florida, and ready for yet another one--GO
HUSKERS!!)

mhoo...@gte.net (Matthew & Kathy Hoover) wrote:

>Here's another Redskin's fan (got it from grandma)
>despite the new team invasion into my state (NC).

>Oh for the days of Jurgenson and Theisman though.....

>Kathy Hoover

>(anybody know that Sonny went to Duke way back when,
>---when we used to play better! I think I'll stick
>to basketball from now on....WE'RE NUMBER ONE !!!!)

>In article <348893...@erols.com>, fgi...@erols.com says...
>> Hail to the Redskins, hail victory,
>> Braves on the warpath, fight for old D.C.
>> >From anotber diehard Redskins fan.
>> Jennifer

>> Dorsey wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear Robert:
>> >
>> > They are a North American Football team...........and some think the
>> > best......VBG.....Hear" Hail to the Redskins" start playing in the
>> > backround.........see old RFK statium start swaying from all the cheering
>> > and stomping..........but it's MHO that the Red Skins are the best......LOL
>> >
>> > Boy could this start a flame war.......;)

Matthew & Kathy Hoover

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <3488BC2F...@tcd.net>, per...@tcd.net says...

> Matthew & Kathy Hoover wrote:
> >
> > Here's another Redskin's fan (got it from grandma)
> > despite the new team invasion into my state (NC).
> >
> > Oh for the days of Jurgenson and Theisman though.....
>
> Ah, Joe Theismann. I really liked him. Were you watching Monday Night
> Football the night his leg was broken? Honestly, they couldn't have
> shown the replay any more than they did, could they? ish

Yup, was watching, and still shudder thinking about it...what is the
media's fascination with falls, hits, crashes and fights? I was
watching a horse show a few years back (big one in D.C. I think)
and a rider fell off going over a jump, parting company with her helmet,
and then getting tripped over by her horse. The TV people showed
her fall at least a dozen times, in close up, because they caught a shot
of the horse's front hoof STEPPING ON HER HAIR after her helmet fell off!
What would they have done if the hatless woman had had her HEAD
stepped on? That would make what happened to old Joe look like a picnic!
Guess she never heard of chin straps, or was to vain to wear one...
She was just lucky, not like poor Joe T. At least he has a new
career now....

Kathy

Richardson

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

mary pleiss wrote:

> I swear I'm not making this up...
>
> *Just* as I was reading this post, I saw Peyton Manning trhow a
> touchdown pass to bring TN within 3 points or so of Auburn, and then
> Auburn ran the blocked extra point back for 2. I LOVE college
> football!
>
> Mary (3rd-generation, 30-year Nebraska fan...through thick and thin
> and all those games in Florida, and ready for yet another one--GO
> HUSKERS!!)
> I knew there had to be someone else out there! Great game yesterday!
Where are you going to be Jan. 2?

Patty
--
X/USA/H+++/2D/XNQH/OQS/:-X/?/G-/Wo/D/M/B/b/R+++/S/K+/E/C/J/
Sean Connery / Mary Stewart, James Michener/Good & Plenty
"So delicate with her needle; an admirable musician;
O! she will sing the savageness out of a bear." (Wm. Shakespeare)

Nancy DeWolf

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

>> >The vines and flowers sound good for the border. Here's my idea, though.
>> > How about two ribbons twined around each other in dark green and
>> >burgandy w/ just the suggestion of nude bodies to their shape? (I just
>> >sketched this out and it looks good, but *very* erotic! Dark
>> >green-male, burgandy-female.)
>> >
>> >LSG
>>

>>... are you talking about
>> ribbon as in a ribbon fiber or as in the image of two ribbons (that

>> sounds better to me). I don't know if I can draw that (snip) but it

>> has very definite possibilities... keep talking Laurie, I love your
>> ideas!
>>
>> nde...@tir.com

>They were definately stitched ribbon *shapes*, I'm not good enough at SRE

>to get nude body shapes! Wish I could send my sketch, but I don't have a
>scanner :(. But if I can get a reasonable sketch of this, I'm sure you
>could, too. I have zippo drawing skills.
>
>LSG

Yeah, I tried... gotta enlist the DH's help next (he's the one with
drawing skills around here... guess I gotta ask what he thinks of the
whole idea too). I sat around in a three day class I was supposed to
be observing last week (we'd taught the trainers how to teach this
class our company had developed for them and now we were observing
them actually doing it, after watching them practice once or twice
before so I was bored) and doodled all kinds of shapes (and either my
coworkers didn't notice or they were such bad shapes that they weren't
interested in asking what they were!). Even my twisting vines didn't
quite look so good, forget human forms... maybe I'll try it with
different colored pencils next time. Oh well... I'm going to check out
books of borders too. Anyone know of any "erotic border" books for
xstitch?! ;)

Chatzie Massey

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Mine would have to be Jonathan Livingston Seagull
"They said it couldn't be done,....shouldn't be done.
They said it wasn't proper. I ignored them and their
petty remarks for their very pettiness."

Or Anne McCaffrey, _The White Dragon_
"I let him walk in his hopping and ungainly gait and
waited patiently for him to catch up...
even a young Dragon has his pride."

--
Chatzie
(Stitchers Code to come.)

Judith Truly

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

Aramanth Dawe wrote:

> "PK" <n...@tellin.com> wrote:
>
> >*cough*
>
> >"t'was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbel in the wabe

How about---
"The Moon was a ghostly gallion
Tossed among cloudy seas
When the highwayman came riding, riding
Up to the old inn door."
Judith

Judith Truly

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

Aramanth Dawe wrote:

> "PK" <n...@tellin.com> wrote:
>
> >*cough*
>
> >"t'was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbel in the wabe

How about---
"The Moon was a ghostly gallion
Tossed among cloudy seas
When the highwayman came riding, riding

The highwayman came riding

PK

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

[snipped a bunch of fun stuff]

Trish Lavis <pla...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<34888db0...@news.ozemail.com.au>...
[snipped a bunch of fun stuff]
: Have you got The Hunting of the Snark on CD? The one with Cliff Richard

and Art
: Garfunkel etc etc?
[snipped a bunch of fun stuff]
: Trish {|:-}

Ha... another one of my faves.... back in the days (what, was it only last
year???) when I was into "illumination," I completely wrote out that
verse... all agonies and fits... on parchment with my best calligraphy,
illuminating the borders, first letters, facing pages, etc. with artwork.
Then I cut holes (nope, didn't use a paper punch) and threaded them with
leather strips and bound them into a leather covered "book" cover...

holy smokes I hope there is someone out there as nutty as me.... <vbg>!!!

Peri K.

phar at west dot net (TIP: read aloud while typing ;-)

X/USA/S+/0/0/2C3M1000S/N,X,p,D,K,Q,TW/MOFS/:-X/MOMS/G/W+/D,M/M+/B+/b/R240/S/
Kc/E++/C/J/Vincent Price, Victor Hugo ok ok ok so I'm a Lewis Carroll
closet nut case too, I am NOT eating again until New Year's!

Trish Lavis

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

On 12 Dec 1997 03:05:27 GMT, "PK" <n...@tellin.com> wrote:

>[snipped a bunch of fun stuff]
>Trish Lavis <pla...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
><34888db0...@news.ozemail.com.au>...
>[snipped a bunch of fun stuff]
>: Have you got The Hunting of the Snark on CD? The one with Cliff Richard
>and Art
>: Garfunkel etc etc?
>[snipped a bunch of fun stuff]
>: Trish {|:-}
>
>Ha... another one of my faves.... back in the days (what, was it only last
>year???) when I was into "illumination," I completely wrote out that
>verse... all agonies and fits... on parchment with my best calligraphy,
>illuminating the borders, first letters, facing pages, etc. with artwork.
>Then I cut holes (nope, didn't use a paper punch) and threaded them with
>leather strips and bound them into a leather covered "book" cover...
>
>holy smokes I hope there is someone out there as nutty as me.... <vbg>!!!
>
>Peri K.

You bet, Peri, and it's me! When _Jesus Christ Superstar_ came to our school, it
was via a Nun who'd bought the record in the UK. Unable to wait months until it
hit the shores of Oz, I copied the score in my very best handwriting (which
was/is very nice) and illustrated it with appropriate illuminations. Then I went
on to learn to play and sing the songs. I can just about recite the entire
libretto to this day! Needless to say, I eventually bought the album, the sheet
music and the complete score. Oh, and eventually a couple of versions on CD! My
favourite version was the original one with Julie Covington as Mary Magdalen.
Although I reckon our Oz version had the best Judas in Jon English.

I've also got about seven thick exercise books that are filled with my
handwritten copies of the songs and guitar chords I played in the seventies. And
several volumes of my poetry, all handwritten. I *love* writing (perhaps you
guys hadn't noticed?) and one of my greatest pleasures is to start a brand new
page with a brand new sharp lead pencil.

Trish {|:-}

Jennifer

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

Steve and Terri wrote:

> When I was in college, I was in a production of Midsummer Night's Dream
> (bit part) and in charge of the music as well. I was having trouble
> finding music for the fairies' songs, and words for one of the songs that
> Shakespeare had indicated should be there, but hadn't bothered to include.
Hi,
I'm delerking because this caught my eye. I belong to a Renaissance
theatre group in the Pacific northwest, and we do a lot of research
about the Elizibethan period in general and Shakespeare Specificaly. We
also do a full lenghth Shakespeare at our Faire every year. I have yet
to find any script that includes the music to the songs that the bard
wrote, and that's because He didn't include any. They were meant to be
sung to tunes popular at the time, and when he was writing, it was for
his theater group, so he could just tell them what song to use. I'm
sure he never dreamed that 400 years later people would Still be
performing his plays, and wondering what to sing these lyrics too.

As to why I read this newgroup. Among other things I am the costuming
director for our group, and Elizabethan clothes ( especially court gowns
and the clothing of the noblilty) had a lot of embroidery on them. I
have a court gown with an embroidered velvet stomacher on it, and plan
to add a matching center panel for the skirt sometime in the near
future. In addition, I enjoy cross stitch, hardanger, drawn thread,
crochet, sewing, quilting, and a whole slew of other arts .

I have a husband, my first, and two children, a girl,5, and a boy, 8
months tomorrow.

Thanks for listening

Steve and Terri

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

Trish Lavis (pla...@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
:
: I've also got about seven thick exercise books that are filled with my

: handwritten copies of the songs and guitar chords I played in the seventies. And
: several volumes of my poetry, all handwritten. I *love* writing (perhaps you
: guys hadn't noticed?) and one of my greatest pleasures is to start a brand new
: page with a brand new sharp lead pencil.

When I was in college, I was in a production of Midsummer Night's Dream

(bit part) and in charge of the music as well. I was having trouble
finding music for the fairies' songs, and words for one of the songs that
Shakespeare had indicated should be there, but hadn't bothered to include.

I listened to record albums with music, worked with Mendelssohn's stuff,
and finally ended up writing some of it (including the words to the song
at the end.) We only had a couple of instruments -- a harpsichord and a
flute (I know -- anachronistic, but what is MND if not an elaborate
anachronism?!?) -- but it turned out quite well.

So when the production was over, I set down the music I'd written on some
nice heavy cream-colored paper using my best calligraphy. I ran across it
not too long ago in a box of old things, and thought I might frame it...
and one of my kids managed to splatter some water on one of the sheets!
So now I guess it will be one of those *collaborative* works...

Come to think of it, a sampler that used the words to one of the songs
("Ye spotted snake/with double tongue/thorny hedgehog/be not seen...")
could be quite pretty...

Terri

PS Did anyone else ever notice that whoever wrote Caddyshack (the movie)
must have studied Shakespeare at some point? The whole plot structure
(frame plot, three interwoven subplots, with different levels of
humor/seriousness -- think Bill Murray & the gophers as Bottom and his
laborers...) is cribbed straight from MND...

--
Terri Carl
ter...@neosoft.com

Jill Spreenberg-Robinson

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

ter...@neosoft.com (Steve and Terri) writes:

> PS Did anyone else ever notice that whoever wrote Caddyshack (the movie)
> must have studied Shakespeare at some point? The whole plot structure
> (frame plot, three interwoven subplots, with different levels of
> humor/seriousness -- think Bill Murray & the gophers as Bottom and his
> laborers...) is cribbed straight from MND...

I must be more tired than I think...*that's* certainly a comparison I
never thought I'd see! ;-)

Jill in IL
---------------------
jrsp...@siu.edu
"reply to" address anti-spammed - remove an "i" to reply

Steve and Terri

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

Jennifer (je...@mailexcite.com) wrote:
: Steve and Terri wrote:
:
[...]

Welcome to rctn!

I was aware of this when I did the research for the music -- that why I
was spending a lot of time listening to what *other* people had done with
it! (He didn't even include the lyrics for one of the songs -- so I had
to provide that as well. Fortunately, I'd just been through a year that
included six hours of Shakespeare, as well as Elizabethan drama, so the
language wasn't too hard to get to sound right. My Shakespeare professor
was involved in the production, and he approved. :-D)

This was over 20 years ago, too, so the current wave of interest in early
music (with original instruments) was just getting started -- all those
wonderful recordings I've got on CD now didn't exist then. I was having a
lot of trouble finding something that I liked, as a result. (In my mind,
having the fairies' songs done by a Robert Shaw-type chorale just wasn't
an option -- but I sure ran across enough productions that had done it
that way... [bleah!])

[BTW, has anyone else seen photos of Patrick Stewart playing Puck --
bare-chested and all! -- a few years ago, I think for the Royal
Shakespeare Company? Wow! I would *love* to have seen that production...]

Terri

PK

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

hey, Patrick "the *voice*" Stewart was a Shakespearean actor of some repute
before he became my personal Star Trek fixation...<vbeg> however back to
the point...

Did you know he did a *marvelous* king in Hamlet, too! and also played the
king or other figure of the state in other plays....all well done...
*sigh... I wish I could have seen him in his stage production (one-man
show) a while back....

Peri K.

phar at west dot net (TIP: read aloud while typing ;-)

X/USA/S+/0/0/2C3M1000S/N,X,p,D,K,Q,TW/MOFS/:-X/MOMS/G/W+/D,M/M+/B+/b/R240/S/
Kc/E++/C/J/Vincent Price, Victor Hugo, I am NOT eating again until New
Year's!

Steve and Terri <ter...@neosoft.com> wrote in article
<66ubir$ebf$2...@uuneo.neosoft.com>...
[snipped the shakeystuff]:

: [BTW, has anyone else seen photos of Patrick Stewart playing Puck --

:
:

Suzy Beth

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

PK <n...@tellin.com> wrote in article
<01bd092d$1afcdf00$16e1fecd@the-barn>...

> hey, Patrick "the *voice*" Stewart was a Shakespearean actor of some
repute
> before he became my personal Star Trek fixation...<vbeg> however back to
> the point...
>
> Did you know he did a *marvelous* king in Hamlet, too! and also played
the
> king or other figure of the state in other plays....all well done...
> *sigh... I wish I could have seen him in his stage production (one-man
> show) a while back....
>
> Peri K.
>

> phar at west dot net (TIP: read aloud while typing ;-)

X/USA/S+/0/0/2C3M1000S/N,X,p,D,K,Q,TW/MOFS/:-X/MOMS/G/W+/D,M/M+/B+/b/R240/S/

> Kc/E++/C/J/Vincent Price, Victor Hugo, I am NOT eating again until New
> Year's!
>

> Steve and Terri <ter...@neosoft.com> wrote in article
> <66ubir$ebf$2...@uuneo.neosoft.com>...
> [snipped the shakeystuff]:
>
> : [BTW, has anyone else seen photos of Patrick Stewart playing Puck --
> : bare-chested and all! -- a few years ago, I think for the Royal
> : Shakespeare Company? Wow! I would *love* to have seen that
production...]
> :
> : Terri
> :

I almost fainted in the theater during the last Star Trek TNG movie, in
the scene where he climbs up a-la Tarzan away from that discusting Borg
chick. This man is fine! VDH didn't have a clue. Oh, my! (pant--pant!)
And I just love that nose! What I could do with that nose...oooooh, be
still my heart!

SB

Nan

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

PK wrote:

> hey, Patrick "the *voice*" Stewart was a Shakespearean actor of some repute
> before he became my personal Star Trek fixation...<vbeg> however back to
> the point...
>
> Did you know he did a *marvelous* king in Hamlet, too! and also played the
> king or other figure of the state in other plays....all well done...
> *sigh... I wish I could have seen him in his stage production (one-man
> show) a while back....
>
> Peri K.

Does anybody else remember his work as Sejanus in "I, Claudius" a few
years ago? He did an outstanding job of portraying that slithy tove.

Nan
X/USA/H+++/mX23/1D,1C/XNCH/SF/:-X/P/cmG/Wo/D/M/B/b/R/S/Kc/E/C+/J/ DH,
Robertson Davies, ice cream

Bee Queen

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

Nan wrote:
> Does anybody else remember his work as Sejanus in "I, Claudius" a few
> years ago? He did an outstanding job of portraying that slithy tove.
>
> Nan
> X/USA/H+++/mX23/1D,1C/XNCH/SF/:-X/P/cmG/Wo/D/M/B/b/R/S/Kc/E/C+/J/ DH,
> Robertson Davies, ice cream

Remember it? That was one of the main reasons we bought the series from
PBS. The most expensive videos I have purchased before or since. But
he's great, even with hair. :-)

Bee Queen

MaryPulver

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

In article <3494EF...@coastside.net>, Nan <han...@coastside.net> writes:

>Does anybody else remember his work as Sejanus in "I, Claudius" a few
years
>ago? He did an outstanding job of portraying that slithy tove.

Oooo, slithy tove -- good description!

Mary Monica

Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

It is loading more messages.