MLI Website

Laurie Riley

Jul 1, 2001, 4:53:41 PM7/1/01
Thanks so much for whoever put the link here into Marilyn's website. I
realized that when I looked through it that one of my most favorite cross
stitch pieces of all time -- TIAG "Simple Gifts" was designed by Marilyn. I
must have made it for my parents at least 10 years ago and gave it to them
for Christmas (it was probably 8 years ago -- you know how long some things
can take!) It graced the wall of their dining room in the house I grew up
in. And, when they moved last year to a townhouse, it was the first thing
they hung in the new townhouse. I LOVED doing that piece. Thanks to everyone
at RCTN for reminding me of such fun stitching memories!

Best,
Laurie

PS I'm much happier now that I've screened out all the OT topics.

Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum

Jul 2, 2001, 7:56:37 PM7/2/01
The other night I went searching for myself......I typed in...

Angels cross stitch
Lavender cross stitch
Victorian Marilyn MLI
Angels MLI
MLI website cross stitch
Marilyn cross stitch
Marilyn leavitt-Imblum cross stitch
Told in a Garden
Lavender & Lace Marilyn Leavitt
Butternut Road MLI

None of them took me to my site?????????
Lots of places that sell my designs and others that mention my name in
a thread, but no www.tiag.com????????

Someone told me that if a person writes it into their program for
their website they can distract all searches to the wrong and even a
competitors site?????

Well I finally gave up finding myself and if I can't find myself how
can anyone else?????? (grin)

Marilyn

Amy B.

Jul 2, 2001, 8:11:33 PM7/2/01
On 2 Jul 2001 16:56:37 -0700, mar...@tiag.com (Marilyn
Leavitt-Imblum) wrote:

>The other night I went searching for myself......I typed in...
>
>Angels cross stitch
>Lavender cross stitch
>Victorian Marilyn MLI
>Angels MLI
>MLI website cross stitch
>Marilyn cross stitch
>Marilyn leavitt-Imblum cross stitch
>Told in a Garden
>Lavender & Lace Marilyn Leavitt
>Butternut Road MLI
>
>None of them took me to my site?????????

I tried the following using Yahoo!:

lavender lace - worked
marilyn leavitt-imblum - worked
mli - doesn't work, because mli isn't in the text on your web page
told in a garden - worked
marilyn cross stitch - worked
butternut road - worked
lavender cross stitch - worked (had to look way down in the list, lots
of retailers listed first, but your site was in there)
angel cross stitch - really too broad an inquiry, but found your site
on the fouth page
leavitt - worked
marilyn imblum - worked
victorian cross stitch - didn't link to your site, or maybe I didn't
look enough - many links were to personal web pages that then linked
to yours
amish cross stitch - worked

If you want "mli" to work on a search engine, your web page needs to
have that text somewhere in it, or have it as a meta tag.

Amy

Yvonne Matlosz

Jul 2, 2001, 8:14:51 PM7/2/01
Maybe it's the search engine you are using? I looked up your site about a
week ago and found it right away.

Try google.com -- it will be the first item listed.

I'm a big fan of yours, but the way! I've been buying your patterns for
years now. Wish I could find a local store that carries them.

Yvonne ;-)

"Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum" <mar...@tiag.com> wrote in message

^Linda^

Jul 2, 2001, 8:16:28 PM7/2/01
Try typing in Angels Cross Stitch, you're the third site down on my list and
it takes you to your free patterns.

Linda
Jax, FL

^Linda^

Jul 2, 2001, 8:18:26 PM7/2/01
I see that was one of your options there, maybe it's a different search
engine but here's the list I got.

http://auto.search.msn.com/results.asp?ba=(2.13)0(.)0....&co=(0.15)6(0.1)200
.1.4.10.&FORM=AS5&RS=CHECKED&cfg=SMCINITIAL&q=Angels+Cross+Stitch&srch=5&v=1

Linda
Jax, FL

Barb in Wyoming

Jul 2, 2001, 9:00:22 PM7/2/01
I used MSN and typed Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum cross stitch and got your site
... and some others, but yours was listed first. That was a month or so
ago.

Barb in Wyoming

Joan Koster

Jul 3, 2001, 3:38:34 AM7/3/01

I use Dogpile - which is actually a metasearch engine that gives you the
results from multiple different search engines.

Searching on Told In a Garden gave me your site first on:

Goto.com
Open Directory
Direct Hit
Dogpile Web Catalog

When I have time I'll try some of the other key words.

Joan K.

LL314158

Jul 3, 2001, 8:34:57 AM7/3/01
hi,
why don't you do it the easy way.. type in tiag.com..
all little letters..and your there.. Linda

s.e.l

Jul 3, 2001, 9:20:02 AM7/3/01
Hi Marilyn;

I'm surprised none of those keywords took you to your site. But I just took
at look at the site, and you don't have any meta tags put in. You should
get your webmaster to put in at least two types of meta tags = the keywords
and the description. Alot of search engines use them to "spider" your site.
Without them you might not appear on those engines, or won't be positioned
too highly. Right now the only words that a search engine will use to list
your site are those that appear on your front page, or the page that you've
submitted to the search engine or directory to be listed.

Basically the keywords meta tag is filled with any keywords you think people
might use in search engines to find your site - such as those you listed.
Your description is a short paragraph you write that describes your site,
etc. - and it appears beside your link in a search engine.

If you have any questions, let me know. I definitely want people to find
your site !! :)

Shannon

姣 My mind works like lightning -- one brilliant flash and it's gone ! 姣
29/f, civil engineer, Toronto, ON, Canada
WIP: Angel of Love (MLI); Summer Sampler (MLI); Baby sampler; Hearts sampler
(Charland); Golfers (Lynne Nicoletti); Snoopy (kit)

J. Shelley

Jul 3, 2001, 1:13:47 PM7/3/01
You didn't mention which search engine you were using. Google.com
does pretty well returning your website in the first few items for
most of your searches.
It didn't look like you use the meta tags showing keywords for your
pages, and I didn't read all your pages word for word today, but I
don't think you use the MLI abbreviation anywhere on your pages. As
such, the searces with MLI didn't have your site returned, or not at
the front of the list anyway. Newsgroup articles, shops, etc use
those keywords and sometimes meta tags, to make sure search engines
pick up their site.

The meta keyword tags, allow sites to list in the meta tags, keywords
relevant
to the page. The web page writer sets that up. Many search engines
use these meta tags
for returning search results. Meta tags are there for anyones use.
It doesn't
totally redirect someone away from your site, but it can end up with
their
site listed higher on the engine list depening on the factors each
engine
has set for determining who is first on that list. These factors
range from
frequency of the words, number of click-throughs, etc. and vary by
engine.
While there have been abuses of meta tags, there have also, I believe,
been
some court cases which have ruled against the use of deliberately
weighting
your meta-tags with keywords not relevant to your site.

I didn't notice meta tags in your web page, maybe you should consider
adding
a few keywords including MLI to help your site bump up on those search
criteria.

Happy Stitching!
Julie S.

Joan Koster

Jul 4, 2001, 6:30:04 PM7/4/01

You apparently missed Marilyn's original post - she was using a search
engine with different related keywords to see if her site would come up
- say if you were a stitcher who didn't know her website address but
wanted to try to locate her that way.

Joan K.

Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum

Jul 6, 2001, 4:47:30 PM7/6/01
I'm shocked to know that you can see my Metatags!!!!! I thought they
were private!!!!! (just kidding)

My site was truly the very first site on Needlework or Cross stitch
ever! I remember one other site claiming that they were first but that
was 2 years after ours was up. It's older than the hills and perhaps
when it was set up Metatags were not something that was done? After 8
years we are trying to redo the site but I am the one that has to do
the artwork for all of it (maybe that's why my son didn't wait for me
to do it on the first site or it would still be in the works (grin)

The new one will be basically wonderful!

I promise! Marilyn

Mary

Jul 6, 2001, 9:34:36 PM7/6/01
I can remember seeing your site and was sooo excited that is was
actually on the internet. I know it has been up for along time because
I have been doing this for along time. I still love your site Marilyn.

Mary Jo

Dennis and Audrey Bosley

Jul 7, 2001, 6:33:29 PM7/7/01
Marilyn,

Try using the premier search engine, http://www.google.com/ and you will
find that your site is probably listed first, depending on what you
search. I searched for Lavender & Lace Marilyn Leavitt and it brought up
http://www.tiag.com/ FIRST! Also, searching your name will bring up your
web site first.

Google brings up the site which is most relevant, the site with the most
hits, etc. because of the algorithms that it uses to search. Also, Google
corrects for misspelled words and words that run together. I hope this
info helps others, too.

Audrey in Topeka, KS
one of your big fans

MamaKitty

Jul 7, 2001, 7:46:29 PM7/7/01
Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum wrote:

> The other night I went searching for myself......I typed in...
> Angels cross stitch
> Lavender cross stitch
(snip)

Marilyn, your site(s) will not show up in a search for general terms as they
are now because there is no use being made of the META tags functions. If
you paid a professional to design this site for you, demand your $ back. If
you did it yourself, you have a very, very big job to learn how to write
effective META tags and what each search engine looks for. META tags are how
search engines find and index sites. And it's a huge job just to keep a site
spidered and in the top listings. Good luck.

Dorothy

---

Nathalie

Aug 10, 2001, 4:54:19 AM8/10/01
Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum <mar...@tiag.com> wrote in message
> None of them took me to my site?????????
> Lots of places that sell my designs and others that mention my name in
> a thread, but no www.tiag.com????????

I had a look at the source and there is something amiss in the header of
your website... I will write you good header and email you the sourcecode
later... and then the people who look after the website just need to add it
to the main first page on your website...

> Someone told me that if a person writes it into their program for
> their website they can distract all searches to the wrong and even a
> competitors site?????

They do it by adding the competitor's name in the keywords in their
header...

> Well I finally gave up finding myself and if I can't find myself how
> can anyone else?????? (grin)

Well... there is one place you can be found and that is on my
Craft-Searcher... and so can over 600 other needlework sites... and 1900
other craft sites... (Maybe would you like a banner on there, Marilyn???
<VBG>)

Anyway now off to sort out your header source for you...

--
Nathalie Forster - Needlework Designer & Web Developer
http://www.craft-searcher.com/nathaliesdesigns/index.html

Amy B.

Aug 10, 2001, 8:38:23 AM8/10/01
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:54:19 +0100, "Nathalie"
<nathalie...@ndmdc.com> wrote:

>Well... there is one place you can be found and that is on my
>Craft-Searcher... and so can over 600 other needlework sites... and 1900

I didn't have any problems with a search - most of the searches I did
had her site listed as the very first found. The only thing that
didn't work was MLI, because her page never refers to her as that.
Here's what I posted back then:

>On 2 Jul 2001 16:56:37 -0700, mar...@tiag.com (Marilyn
>Leavitt-Imblum) wrote:

>>None of them took me to my site?????????

>I tried the following using Yahoo!:

Teri George

Aug 10, 2001, 9:32:45 AM8/10/01
<nathalie...@ndmdc.com> wrote:

>Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum <mar...@tiag.com> wrote in message
>> None of them took me to my site?????????
>> Lots of places that sell my designs and others that mention my name in
>> a thread, but no www.tiag.com????????
>
>I had a look at the source and there is something amiss in the header of
>your website... I will write you good header and email you the sourcecode
>later... and then the people who look after the website just need to add it
>to the main first page on your website...

Natalie, there's nothing wrong with MLI's source code. She's only
missing a few META tags and a mention of MLI in her Title area. More
search engines look at the Title than at the META tags, so it would be
best to add "MLI" there. (Her computer people just need to be sure
that it looks good since the Title area also shows up at the top of
the web browser page.)

BTW, it's really not a good idea to be responding to posts that are
more than a month and a half old. It does tend to often cause
problems.

Teri ~~ http://www.craftsoft.com