Ford F-150 questions

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 6:02:14 AM3/18/18
I picked up this truck earlier in the week. Im closing down a friends
shop and he gave it to me in partial trade for helping him.

https://goo.gl/photos/9oD63QzMwZ1kx4he8

It has a new engine, new transmission and new rear end..geared for
pulling trailers (4.10:1). Ford 302 engine. All installed about
2009-2010. License plates expired in 2009.

It hadnt been started since about 2010...but it was sitting inside
tucked away in a corner. So I stuck a battery in it, and turned the
key on, letting the fuel pump run..just to see if any fuel was in it,
then kicked the key to start. It coughed and choked for about 5
seconds...then started running..pretty damned well actually..with 8 yr
old California alky fuel in it.

I let it simply idle while checking fluids..radiator was full, power
steering pump was nearly empty, brake fluid is low, tranny levels are
ok. I let it come up to operating temps. Oil pressure showed high
normal, all instruments ok..gas gage reading way above full. Pegged
above full. I figure the floats (cork) probably disintergrated so
thats something Im going to have to take care of. Digital radio
(Ford) works..digital display is blanked out. No biggy. All lights
work, no broken lenses and they are all in very good shape visa vis
clarity. They may have been replaced.
No receiver hitch..rear bumper has trailer ball hole. I didnt crawl
under to see if there is trailer lighting hookups. (making note to
myself)
Front seat is in rough shape, I should be able to find somethine much
better at the wrecking yards for $40. Wish it was an extended
cab..gonna miss that part of the Rangers.

According to the owner...engine was rebuild by a commercial shop, at
about 250,000 miles. Same with tranny and rear end, which was
converted to (the owner thinks...4.10 gears with a positrack rear
differential. Everything under the hood looks good, even has the
factory jack tucked in the rack on the passenger side and the jack
handle over the radiator. Dusty as hell..but everything looks new or
in excellent condition. I assume it was rebuilt properly. (I hope)

Truck has 5 near new or new Goodyear 15" truck tires on it. No dents,
no dings, paint is dull, needs a washing, cleaning and a wax job.
Tailgate had some heavy cargo slam into it and has a bow in it with
about 2" of gap in the middle. If the windshield is any
indication..body is covered with a very thin coating of oil. It was
parked in a working machine shop. Shrug.

Im thinking about turning this into my service truck....or A service
truck and giving the Dodge Caravan back to the wife.

Im planning on finding a shell similar to this one and installing it
on the truck: So it will match the Ranger. Which Im tired of. Too
small, not enough power and Ive seen too much of the world out Ranger
windshields, quite frankly. Time for a change.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/d/are-utility-pickup-truck-shell/6525149484.html

Couple questions:

Anybody know what kind of fuel mileage I should expect?
Anyone know where I can find a "cheap" utility work shell? Id prefer
boxes in the side doors as in the link above.

Anything I should pay attention to before putting it on the road?
Change all the fluids, bleed the brakes, radiator fluid, etc etc?
Transmission flud change? (just about zero miles on it)

As noted before I changed my E350 to "Camper" class...California rapes
anyone with a "commerical vehicle" which is ANY pickup truck or non
passenger van. If I put a simple fiberglass shell on it..it becomes a
different class and tags are about $125 a year..versus $350 a year.
Plates expired in 2009...so its been past the 7 yr period and the
registration has been washed from the computer in Sacramenta at the
DMV. Now is the time to change its classification.

Any suggestions, info etc etc would be appreciated. Ive not owned a
fullsize pickup in 25 yrs.

Thanks!

Gunner

---

raykeller

Mar 18, 2018, 8:20:33 AM3/18/18
No need for that. Just drive the Ford to California Death Valley, find
this cliff, and drive over it at high speed. Do it for humanity.

<https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/images/IMG_3866-Copy.JPG>

You're welcome.

rbowman

Mar 18, 2018, 1:14:42 PM3/18/18
On 03/18/2018 04:02 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> Everything under the hood looks good, even has the
> factory jack tucked in the rack on the passenger side and the jack
> handle over the radiator.

Don't depend on that. They're marginal. The first time I had to change a
tire I stopped at the store and bough a bottle jack.

No idea on the mileage. Mine is the 300 straight six with an OD
transmission and get in the high teens on the highway.

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 1:25:50 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 11:15:10 -0600, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:

>On 03/18/2018 04:02 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
>> Everything under the hood looks good, even has the
>> factory jack tucked in the rack on the passenger side and the jack
>> handle over the radiator.
>
>Don't depend on that. They're marginal. The first time I had to change a
>tire I stopped at the store and bough a bottle jack.

Yeah..Ive been carring a high lift floor jack in my work truck for 20
yrs. The factory jacks stopped being worth a shit after they stopped
hooking them to a bumper to lift.

>No idea on the mileage. Mine is the 300 straight six with an OD
>transmission and get in the high teens on the highway.

Thanks! I dont know if this has the OD tranny or not. Only switch I
remember seeing on the dash is the dual tank switch. Owner said it was
doing just as my E350 did..leaked gas from one tank to the other. I
figured out how to fix that on the van..so will fix it on the pickup
truck. It has the same change over cannister/thingy.

Do you like your truck all and all? Anything in the running gear to
watch out for?

Elizabeth Boudreaux

Mar 18, 2018, 2:14:57 PM3/18/18
On 3/18/2018 10:25 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 11:15:10 -0600, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/18/2018 04:02 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
>>> Everything under the hood looks good, even has the
>>> factory jack tucked in the rack on the passenger side and the jack
>>> handle over the radiator.
>>
>> Don't depend on that. They're marginal. The first time I had to change a
>> tire I stopped at the store and bough a bottle jack.
>
> Yeah..Ive been carring a high lift floor jack in my work truck for 20
> yrs.

Even when that truck was a yard ornament for over a decade? What good
did that do you?

Paul Jackson

Mar 18, 2018, 2:20:05 PM3/18/18
On 3/18/2018 3:02 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> I picked up this truck earlier in the week. Im closing down a friends
> shop and he gave it to me in partial trade for helping him.
>
> https://goo.gl/photos/9oD63QzMwZ1kx4he8

Those are all photos of a broken down filthy tub boat, you stupid
drunken derelict dumpster-diving dole-scrounger. There isn't a picture
of a pick-em-up truck there.

rbowman

Mar 18, 2018, 3:33:23 PM3/18/18
On 03/18/2018 11:25 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
> Thanks! I dont know if this has the OD tranny or not. Only switch I
> remember seeing on the dash is the dual tank switch. Owner said it was
> doing just as my E350 did..leaked gas from one tank to the other. I
> figured out how to fix that on the van..so will fix it on the pickup
> truck. It has the same change over cannister/thingy.

No switch for OD; it's a 4 speed and 4th is OD.

> Do you like your truck all and all? Anything in the running gear to
> watch out for?

Well, I've had it since I bought it in '86 so it's been dependable. It's
been all over the lower 48 and in some places where 4WD might have been
a better idea.

I've replace the u-joints, the center bearing in the drive shaft, and
the rod ends. The one annoyance was the throwout bearing. Not really the
bearing itself but the carrier that would start to hang up on the
transmission output sleeve. The last time around the replacement was
composite rather than cast iron. I replaced the clutch and pressure
plate that time. They didn't really need it but it wasn't much more work
with the tranny out.

It needs a paint job. The finish didn't hold up well but that's typical
for a lot of '80s vehicles when they started dicking around with HVLP
and environmentally friendly paint systems.

I put a simple shell on right after I bought it and build a bunk in the
bed. Being inconspicuous, I've 'camped' in parking garages and on the
street in NOLA during Mardi Gras.

I traded a '82 Firebird in and the salesman asked 'You sure you really
want to do this? It's sort of a change.' Never regretted it. I was in a
state campground in the pouring rain when a guy came in with a Firebird
and had to set up his tent in the rain while I sat in my nice dry mobile
cave reading.

A company I worked for had an eclectic mix of vehicles. I drove them all
including the vans and had settled on a F150 as my personal ride so it
was a no-brainer when I went looking for a pickup. I just found it more
comfortable than the Chevys and Rams.

raykeller

Mar 18, 2018, 3:50:56 PM3/18/18

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Look for a button on the shifter if it has an OD trans
or check the dash lights when you first turn the key and they all light up
fot an orange OD light
the button is to lock out OD when towing or climbing hills if it has it

raykeller

Mar 18, 2018, 3:52:16 PM3/18/18

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
replace the tires!!!

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 4:38:48 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 12:50:59 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:
Thanks!

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 4:40:56 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 12:52:19 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:
They are nearly new and have been kept full of air, indoors out of the
sun.

Ive got to drive it at least for a while with them on it until I can
afford to replace em.

raykeller

Mar 18, 2018, 6:19:20 PM3/18/18

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
You are gambling on 10 yr old tires
Take good tires off of somthing else and put these on somthing that will;
stay parked

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 8:01:54 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 15:19:23 -0700, "raykeller"
True...but Im driving on a tire that has cord showing out on the edge
of the flat. Wheel alighment is really needing fixing. Soon as they
start cutting checks Ill have it aligned. It was nearly a new tire
5000 miles ago.

the late Mark Wieber

Mar 18, 2018, 8:22:04 PM3/18/18
LOL! As soon as you start doing something of value that warrants anyone
paying you...

Clare Snyder

Mar 18, 2018, 9:19:50 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 12:50:59 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:

Some FORDS, like my 2002 Taurus, have Low, Drive and Overdrive
positions on the shifter quadrant as well.

Virtually all "4 speed" automatic transmissions are "overdrive"
transmissions - as are virtually all "5 speed" manuals.

Perhaps SOME do not provide an "overdrive lockout" function. Not
aware of any.

Clare Snyder

Mar 18, 2018, 9:25:14 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 12:52:19 -0700, "raykeller"
<whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
wrote:

At the VERY least check them very closely. If stored cool dry and dark
they MAY still be serviceable - but they are most likely hard and
finely cracked, at the very least.
As a rule of thumb, tires over six years old are no longer
serviceable. There are a few exceptions. Being in a machine shop,
this is likely NOT one of them - - -

Clare Snyder

Mar 18, 2018, 9:27:50 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 13:40:54 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Just don't drive fast, and keep a CLOSE eye on them for cracks, both
in the tread and in the sidewall.
ANd iof you put used tires on CHECK THE DATE CODES!!!!!

GENERALLY speaking, tires over 6 years old should be removed from
service, regardless of mileage or tread depth.

Clare Snyder

Mar 18, 2018, 9:29:11 PM3/18/18
AN alignment costs less than a tire - - -

raykeller

Mar 18, 2018, 9:31:33 PM3/18/18

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Tape measure allignment
center of tread on front of tires to center of tread on rear of tires minus
1/8 inch on front for correct tow in
Check a frame bushings and tierod ends first and replace as needed

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 10:22:41 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:19:49 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:
Thanks! Ill check it out this week.

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 10:23:41 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:29:11 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
Not when I can buy nearly new tires for $30

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 10:24:59 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 18:31:28 -0700, "raykeller"
Its not toe in..I believe its camber. How much the tire leans
sideways

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 10:25:51 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:27:50 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
These are Goodyear high end 8 ply truck tires

Gunner Asch

Mar 18, 2018, 10:28:48 PM3/18/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:25:14 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:
Ill DEFINATELY keep an eye on them. Im not sure if Im going to get a 1
day trip ticket and drive it the 147 miles home..or have AAA put it on
the flat bed and drive it home. I have 200 mile tow, which Ive already
used once this year, getting that Porsch 944 across my small
town..about 3 miles. Id rather save my tows for when I NEED them

Clare Snyder

Mar 19, 2018, 12:05:13 AM3/19/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 19:25:50 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Ozone, heat, oil vapours,and long term exposure to moisture are the
biggest tire killers.

Tires continue to vulcanize over time under high temperatures,
particularly if there are sulphur compounds involved - either
atmospheric or surplus from the initial vulcanization of the rubber.

This causes hardening of the rubber.
Oil vapour (and solvents) deteriorate rubber.
Rubber isn't totally waterproof, so long term exposure to high
humidity allows the moisture to deteriorate tire cords - and
particularly steel belt material.

Ozone oxidizes the rubber.

Clare Snyder

Mar 19, 2018, 12:06:29 AM3/19/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 19:23:39 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Check the date codes - - - -

+++ATH0

Mar 19, 2018, 12:26:14 AM3/19/18
On 2018-03-18 03:02, Gunner Asch wrote:
> I picked up this truck earlier in the week. Im closing down a friends
> shop and he gave it to me in partial trade for helping him.
>
> https://goo.gl/photos/9oD63QzMwZ1kx4he8

Looks like a boat to me.

raykeller

Mar 19, 2018, 3:31:12 AM3/19/18

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Bushings then--uper and lower a arms

Gunner Asch

Mar 19, 2018, 7:39:18 AM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 00:06:29 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
I certainly will!

Gunner Asch

Mar 19, 2018, 7:40:00 AM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 00:31:06 -0700, "raykeller"
Those are often adjustable?

Gunner Asch

Mar 19, 2018, 7:45:01 AM3/19/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:26:07 -0700, +++ATH0 <ne...@ringpiece.local>
wrote:
Gack! Sorry

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rXiVYwuuxYcBNYHp2

Clare Snyder

Mar 19, 2018, 10:35:41 AM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 04:45:01 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Sure LOOKS salvageable - down there in Cali the darn things don'r
dissapear in a pile of rust. A 302 is a pretty decent engine - and
with the big wheels 4:10 gears won't be bad on the highway. I like
3:55 better -My 4 liter Ranger is running 3:55 Posi on 235:75 16 tires
- about 2200rpm at 100kph if I remember correctly.

Clare Snyder

Mar 19, 2018, 10:37:58 AM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 04:39:58 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
What vehicle is wearing the tires? Make, year and model??

raykeller

Mar 19, 2018, 12:11:23 PM3/19/18

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
ajustable with shims but replaceing the busshings should put it back in
spec---just make sure the shims go back in the same place
bushings are cheap---putting them in, not so much but I am pretty sure you
have a press or access to one

raykeller

Mar 19, 2018, 12:14:23 PM3/19/18

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Other thing to check is the ideler arm to make sure it is not loose

Gunner Asch

Mar 19, 2018, 12:22:58 PM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:11:18 -0700, "raykeller"
Im sure I can figure it out . Ive actually NEVER done any front end
work, other than replacing ball joints a few times over the years.
This vehicle only has about 140k miles on it...but I figure it had
been curbed a few times.

It wears the tread in a thin spot right along the corner of the tread
and sidewall. Never touches the side wall. Got plenty of tread in the
middle of the tire and it only exposes the very edge of the steel
belt. Since my mechanic died in his sleep a month ago..sigh..Im
having to put my Vehicle Mechanic cap back on. And I dont like it
much.

Gunner Asch

Mar 19, 2018, 12:23:27 PM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:14:18 -0700, "raykeller"
will check!

Gunner Asch

Mar 19, 2018, 12:29:35 PM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 10:35:41 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:
Not really a bad looking truck huh. Now Im looking for a shell for it.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Mar 19, 2018, 12:31:10 PM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 10:37:58 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
2003 Dodge Caravan

rbowman

Mar 19, 2018, 4:25:06 PM3/19/18
That's one of the things I replaced. The steering was getting a little
vague but I was used to it and didn't really notice. A friend borrowed
it to haul his llamas down a mountain and reported it as a near death
experience. I did the rod ends too and tape measured it. I took it to a
tire shop for alignment just to make sure but it was good.

rbowman

Mar 19, 2018, 4:28:14 PM3/19/18
The paint is a lot better than mine and my dashboard is crappy around
the speaker. I've got to hunt down a cover. A neighbor put one on his
dash and I thought it was OEM.

Larry Jaques

Mar 19, 2018, 7:01:01 PM3/19/18
wrote:

> [...]

If one tire is wearing on one side only, it's camber. If both tires
are wearing on opposite sides (both inner or both outer), it's toe.
Too much toe-in causes outer tire wear, too much toe-out causes inner
tire wear.

>>>Bushings then--uper and lower a arms
>>>

>>Those are often adjustable?
> What vehicle is wearing the tires? Make, year and model??

F-150, but he hasn't yet said what year.

My old '90 had I-beams up front which were (initially) bendable for
camber, or (later) there was a kit which allowed caster/camber
changes.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.

Larry Jaques

Mar 19, 2018, 7:03:14 PM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:31:10 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Of course. What else could it be under the header "Re: Ford F-150
questions"? Oh, well. (P.S: Your link went to a Venture24.)

pyotr filipivich

Mar 19, 2018, 7:04:47 PM3/19/18
Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com> on Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:22:58 -0700
typed in misc.survivalism the following:

>>> Those are often adjustable?
>>ajustable with shims but replaceing the busshings should put it back in
>>spec---just make sure the shims go back in the same place
>>bushings are cheap---putting them in, not so much but I am pretty sure you
>>have a press or access to one
>>

>Im sure I can figure it out . Ive actually NEVER done any front end
>work, other than replacing ball joints a few times over the years.
>This vehicle only has about 140k miles on it...but I figure it had
>been curbed a few times.
>
>It wears the tread in a thin spot right along the corner of the tread
>and sidewall. Never touches the side wall. Got plenty of tread in the
>middle of the tire and it only exposes the very edge of the steel
>belt. Since my mechanic died in his sleep a month ago..sigh..Im
>having to put my Vehicle Mechanic cap back on. And I dont like it
>much.

Now who was saying there's nothing as expensive as a "free"
anything?

OTOH, "such a deal."
--
pyotr filipivich

Straight Shooter

Mar 19, 2018, 8:28:08 PM3/19/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 17:22:01 -0700, the late Mark Wieber
<chronic.löser@dole-scröungers.of.taft> wrote:

>On 3/18/2018 5:01 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 15:19:23 -0700, "raykeller"
>> <whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@leftards_are_loosers.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> You are gambling on 10 yr old tires
>>> Take good tires off of somthing else and put these on somthing that will;
>>> stay parked
>>>
>> True...but Im driving on a tire that has cord showing out on the edge
>> of the flat. Wheel alighment is really needing fixing. Soon as they
>> start cutting checks Ill have it aligned.
>
>LOL! As soon as you start doing something of value that warrants anyone
>paying you...

Hahaha! Wieber is upgrading from one old junker to another! 65yr old
phony conservative who wouldn't know what a decent vehicle looks like,
much less afford one.

Coincidentally, I upgraded one of mine as well! Maybe someday Wieber
will begin to wonder how "dumb libs" like me can pay more in tax on
one new vehicle than his whole fleet of crap is worth. My latest toy's
top speed is only 11.5 mph. Still fast enough to cross my property in
under 3 minutes though. :) Even better, I have no need to defraud
taxpayers by pretending it's a camper. And I'm thinking that its tire
chains are worth more than Wieber's latest sow's ear.

If only I'd spent more time on my 'puter making up stories. Then I
could have lived the joy of smokes and Monster and playing hide and
seek with the bailiff. Instead I have to live life to the fullest in
the short time I have left before the great cull. Fortunately the
cullers have been delayed while saving up for new tires on account of
not being able to afford wheel alignment.

Clare Snyder

Mar 19, 2018, 8:38:16 PM3/19/18
wrote:

>>>Those are often adjustable?
>> What vehicle is wearing the tires? Make, year and model??
>
>2003 Dodge Caravan

OK, MacPherson strut suspension - only one ball joint, and only one
controll arm.

Only a few possibilities - if there is no play in the ball joint -

Bent lower control arm, bemt strut, or bent frame. - IF it is a camber
problem.

Those front ends are pretty stout - not as stout as the twin "I" beem
on the old Rangers and F Series.

First thing is jack it up .It is not a load bearing joint so you
need to jack it up by the frame, not the control arm to check for
play. With the wheel off the ground check the ball joint, outer tie
rod end and inner tie rod end for play. Inner tie rod ends (inside the
rack) are a common failure and will cause wear on one tire.

Straight Shooter

Mar 19, 2018, 8:38:24 PM3/19/18
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 11:14:57 -0700, Elizabeth Boudreaux
<anothe...@jeanerette.la> wrote:

>On 3/18/2018 10:25 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 11:15:10 -0600, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Don't depend on that. They're marginal. The first time I had to change a
>>> tire I stopped at the store and bough a bottle jack.
>>
>> Yeah..Ive been carring a high lift floor jack in my work truck for 20
>> yrs.
>
>Even when that truck was a yard ornament for over a decade? What good
>did that do you?

He's planning to modify it into one of these.
https://tinyurl.com/ya75q9wu Once it's done he'll be able to get off
his computer more often and maybe even earn a living.

Clare Snyder

Mar 19, 2018, 8:40:29 PM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:14:18 -0700, "raykeller"
A dodge caravan has no idler arm and no upper control arm.

It was OBVIOUS from Gunner's post that the problem was not on the F150
- it was on something he's been driving scrubbing off the tire - the
F150 has "almost new" tires on it - - -

Clare Snyder

Mar 19, 2018, 8:45:19 PM3/19/18
wrote:

>>>Bushings then--uper and lower a arms
>>>

>> Those are often adjustable?
>ajustable with shims but replaceing the busshings should put it back in
>spec---just make sure the shims go back in the same place
>bushings are cheap---putting them in, not so much but I am pretty sure you
>have a press or access to one

No shims on a 2003 Caravan - but there CAN BE a camber adjustment
which can be knocked out of adjustment on that model. There are 2
bolts connecting the knuckle to the strut. On of the holes is
slotted,(if not, a mechanic will often slot the bottom hole) so the
camber can be adjusted

Clare Snyder

Mar 19, 2018, 8:46:28 PM3/19/18

>>Other thing to check is the ideler arm to make sure it is not loose
>>
>will check!
>

>---
You'll be looking for a LONG time -------

Gunner Asch

Mar 19, 2018, 11:52:28 PM3/19/18
Ayup and Ayup.

Gunner Asch

Mar 19, 2018, 11:56:06 PM3/19/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 17:28:06 -0700, Straight Shooter <s...@mmatp.net>
wrote:

>Coincidentally, I upgraded one of mine as well! Maybe someday Wieber
>will begin to wonder how "dumb libs" like me can pay more in tax on
>one new vehicle than his whole fleet of crap is worth. My latest toy's
>top speed is only 11.5 mph.

So they delivered your Hoveround mobility scooter finally?

That Part B Medicare covered it ok?

And here you are blithering about welfare..and you are sucking on it
hard and strong.

Gunner Asch

Mar 20, 2018, 12:20:54 AM3/20/18
You missed the conversation direction change? What was it..potty call
or you had to crush the cans from that last six pack?

I also noted that Id fucked up and then corrected it.

Gunner Asch

Mar 20, 2018, 12:22:37 AM3/20/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:38:17 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:
Thanks!! Ill do that in the morning!!

I know absolutely dick about struts. One of the reasons I drive old
vehicles...I understand (somewhat) about how they tick.

Gunner Asch

Mar 20, 2018, 6:56:17 AM3/20/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:20:50 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
As a side note....I got the opportunity to work on this 2 weeks ago.
Had to pull the left spingle and hub, then remove the steering
knuckle, get some welding done, then reassemble.

It was interesting how the hub was assembled...no manual...sigh. It
certainly wasnt a system Id ever seen before. And of course..the wheel
bearings were ball bearings..not rollers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3RAsOMLLVWPQMFYE3

Clare Snyder

Mar 20, 2018, 12:04:23 PM3/20/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 03:56:12 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:20:50 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:03:16 -0700, L
>
>As a side note....I got the opportunity to work on this 2 weeks ago.
>Had to pull the left spingle and hub, then remove the steering
>knuckle, get some welding done, then reassemble.
>
>It was interesting how the hub was assembled...no manual...sigh. It
>certainly wasnt a system Id ever seen before. And of course..the wheel
>bearings were ball bearings..not rollers.
>
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/3RAsOMLLVWPQMFYE3

Nice old Bug.
Prewar Itallian engineering.
Designed to be light and stroing - and FAST.

Gunner Asch

Mar 20, 2018, 12:47:08 PM3/20/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 12:04:16 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:
No seat belts either.

They arent cheap.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/bugatti/type-35/1893334.html

Jim Wilkins

Mar 20, 2018, 3:52:54 PM3/20/18
"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
The new model:
https://www.bugatti.com/chiron/

Clare Snyder

Mar 20, 2018, 4:14:44 PM3/20/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 09:47:02 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 12:04:16 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 03:56:12 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>As a side note....I got the opportunity to work on this 2 weeks ago.
>>>Had to pull the left spingle and hub, then remove the steering
>>>knuckle, get some welding done, then reassemble.
>>>
>>>It was interesting how the hub was assembled...no manual...sigh. It
>>>certainly wasnt a system Id ever seen before. And of course..the wheel
>>>bearings were ball bearings..not rollers.
>>>
>>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/3RAsOMLLVWPQMFYE3
>>

>>Nice old Bug.
>>Prewar Itallian engineering.
>>Designed to be light and stroing - and FAST.
>
>No seat belts either.
>
>They arent cheap.
>
>https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/bugatti/type-35/1893334.html
>

>---

For a T35 GP 2.6 mil IS cheap.

Gunner Asch

Mar 20, 2018, 6:08:34 PM3/20/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 16:14:39 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
It was a rather fascinating car to work on. The engine was made in
Argentina as this had been a restoration project from a carcass.

Seems that Argentina is one of the classic car restoration capitals of
the world for cars of this type. They made molds and patterns for
every car that had ever been fixed/modified and restored..so you can
order parts made on the original tooling, to the original blueprints
and formed on patterns identical with factory patterns. They are
considered "original" parts..albeit NOS....with a heart stopping
price.

The carburetor on these cars..protrudes from the BOTTOM of the engine
well and the bowl is lower than the bottom of the engine. It has
manual lubrication in addition to engine driven lubers. If you go
into a turn and the oil sloshes away from the oil pump...there is a
manual pump on the dash that you can operate to give it more oil.

The pics are in high defintioni so feel free to find the icon and blow
up the photos and look at the bits and pieces

Gunner

Jim Wilkins

Mar 20, 2018, 6:47:15 PM3/20/18
"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/we-drive-pur-sang-type-35-beautiful-bugatti-way-argentina

$230,000

Clare Snyder

Mar 20, 2018, 7:50:34 PM3/20/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 15:08:29 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Yup - the carb is on the bottom of the "blower"

Ed Huntress

Mar 20, 2018, 7:59:45 PM3/20/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 19:50:30 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
If you ever get a chance to tour the Big Dog Garage, you'll see
several Bugatti race cars from the '20s and early '30s. Jay Leno has
some beauties, as well as a couple of road-going Bugattis.

The engines look like they were made in a machine shop. I had to wipe
my drool off before I left. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner Asch

Mar 20, 2018, 8:31:35 PM3/20/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 19:50:30 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
Ayup..that too fascinated me. Not a Turbo Charger..but...almost.. and
done in 1927

Clare Snyder

Mar 20, 2018, 8:44:45 PM3/20/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 17:31:33 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>>The carburetor on these cars..protrudes from the BOTTOM of the engine
>>>well and the bowl is lower than the bottom of the engine.
>>

>>Yup - the carb is on the bottom of the "blower"
>
>Ayup..that too fascinated me. Not a Turbo Charger..but...almost.. and
>done in 1927
>

>>> It has
>>>manual lubrication in addition to engine driven lubers. If you go
>>>into a turn and the oil sloshes away from the oil pump...there is a
>>>manual pump on the dash that you can operate to give it more oil.
>>>
>>>The pics are in high defintioni so feel free to find the icon and blow
>>>up the photos and look at the bits and pieces
>>>
>>>Gunner

Supercharger - just like on a Blower Bently, and the new Hemi Hellcat,
and the new Mustang GT350 - or an old Jimmy- in many ways superior to
a turbocharger

Clare Snyder

Mar 20, 2018, 8:45:53 PM3/20/18
A machine shop?? More like a jewelry shop.

Jim Wilkins

Mar 20, 2018, 9:10:33 PM3/20/18
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
Here's a comparable operation that restores Rolls-Royce Merlins:
http://www.51-factory.com/merlin_overhaul.html

Gunner Asch

Mar 20, 2018, 11:47:31 PM3/20/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 20:45:50 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
The guy I was helping went to Leno's garage last week and made a
cardboard mockup of the removable cover for the carberator. Its
supposed to be accessable with the bonnet closed. He cut and fit to
match both of Leno's 35Bs and brought it back to his shop to see if it
will fit his clients car. Last time I talked to him, he was busy
brazing a new cover together so he could install it.

Ed Huntress

Mar 21, 2018, 10:43:29 AM3/21/18
'Lots of interesting detail in the machining operations. I never knew
that Merlins had hollow crankshafts.

When I was a kid I was infatuated with Merlins. I was up close to Miss
Bardahl when she was started before a race:

http://www.bluebird-electric.net/bluebird_history/Miss_Bardahl_Lubricants_Additives_Oils_Fuels.htm

The sound never leaves you. I can still remember how my guts were
vibrating. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Red Prepper

Mar 21, 2018, 1:23:35 PM3/21/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 10:43:17 -0400, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:
> When I was a kid I was infatuated with merkins.

Now you're an old man infatuated by merkins.

> I can still remember how my guts were vibrating. d8-)
> --
> Ed Cuntdress

Now as an old man you can't remember when you're vibrating your
artificial cunt. Sad.

Straight Shooter

Mar 21, 2018, 4:39:18 PM3/21/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:56:01 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 17:28:06 -0700, Straight Shooter <s...@mmatp.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Coincidentally, I upgraded one of mine as well! Maybe someday Wieber
>>will begin to wonder how "dumb libs" like me can pay more in tax on
>>one new vehicle than his whole fleet of crap is worth. My latest toy's
>>top speed is only 11.5 mph.
>
>So they delivered your Hoveround mobility scooter finally?
>
>That Part B Medicare covered it ok?
>
>And here you are blithering about welfare..and you are sucking on it
>hard and strong.

<chuckle> Another nonsensical, incoherent, non-responsive reply from
the broke-ass dole-scrounging Wieber! But the fact remains: I just
paid about $5k in sales tax on my latest toy. How many more decades of
your brainless-deadbeat phony-conservative lifestyle do you think
you'll need to endure before you'll be able to afford to spend $5k,
period? Here, maybe this will help.
https://www.cnn.com/2016/09/21/health/how-to-live-to-100-acciaroli-centenarians/index.html
Don't expect to see anyone crediting smokes or Monster. LOL

Straight Shooter

Mar 21, 2018, 4:45:20 PM3/21/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:22:33 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> One of the reasons I drive old
>vehicles...I understand (somewhat) about how they tick.

Bwahahaha! For very small values of "somewhat." But even in your
warped reality, it's hardly the MAIN reason you drive old vehicles,
right, nitwit? The main reason is something about not having any
choice. At all. Ever. Which makes THAT the ONLY reason, you ridiculous
windbag.

Jim Wilkins

Mar 21, 2018, 5:57:51 PM3/21/18
"Ed Huntress" <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote in message
For your riding mower:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3026798-1-5-scale-Merlin-exhaust-stacks-%28P51-Spitfire%29

Ed Huntress

Mar 21, 2018, 6:43:26 PM3/21/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 17:58:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
<g> Today, I could put them on my snow blower. We have close to 10" on
the ground and it soon will be a heavy load for the 'blower, so I'll
be firing it up soon and expecting to take another pass around
midnight.

A Merlin would be useful -- just aim the exhaust stacks down at the
sidewalk.

--
Ed Huntress

Leon Fisk

Mar 21, 2018, 7:46:33 PM3/21/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 18:43:15 -0400
Ed Huntress <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

<snip>
>Today, I could put them on my snow blower. We have close to 10" on
>the ground and it soon will be a heavy load for the 'blower, so I'll
>be firing it up soon and expecting to take another pass around
>midnight.
>
>A Merlin would be useful -- just aim the exhaust stacks down at the
>sidewalk.

Search youtube for remote control snow blower videos. It was a few years
ago that I last looked. Some pretty cool stuff out there. Sit
inside with your cup of joe, work the joystick :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Ed Huntress

Mar 21, 2018, 9:10:50 PM3/21/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:46:30 -0400, Leon Fisk <lfi...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
Good grief. Some people have put a lot of work into those machines.

But I watched one guy with the controller in his hand, standing
outside directing the thing, bundled up in a heavy coat, gloves, and a
hood, and I thought...why? I'd be warmer walking behind. <g>

Heated sidewalks. That's what I want. I'd want something that, when
the old ladies walk by, it would melt the wheels on their walkers.

--
Ed Huntress

Gerry

Mar 21, 2018, 9:22:52 PM3/21/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:46:30 -0400, Leon Fisk <lfi...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

I like playing in the snow - it takes me about a half hour with my
ten ponies to toss six inches of snow from my eight car parking lot
(two and a half lane driveway) over the hedge onto the city boulevard.
One of the beauties of living on a corner lot!

Clare Snyder

Mar 21, 2018, 9:35:03 PM3/21/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 18:43:15 -0400, Ed Huntress
<hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

>>> --
>>> Ed Huntress
>>
>>For your riding mower:
>>https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3026798-1-5-scale-Merlin-exhaust-stacks-%28P51-Spitfire%29
>
><g> Today, I could put them on my snow blower. We have close to 10" on
>the ground and it soon will be a heavy load for the 'blower, so I'll
>be firing it up soon and expecting to take another pass around
>midnight.
>
>A Merlin would be useful -- just aim the exhaust stacks down at the
>sidewalk.

Plus 5 and bare ground up here in "snow country" today

Larry Jaques

Mar 21, 2018, 10:21:49 PM3/21/18
I'll bet the new one stops quicker, even from 250mph.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.
--John Locke

Larry Jaques

Mar 21, 2018, 10:24:05 PM3/21/18
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:03:16 -0700, Larry Jaques
><lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:31:10 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

And now it's a Bugatti? Chameleon car! <g>

Larry Jaques

Mar 21, 2018, 10:26:49 PM3/21/18
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 20:47:28 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Too bad you couldn't have gone with him. I'd love to meet Jay and see
his shop city.

Larry Jaques

Mar 21, 2018, 10:31:29 PM3/21/18
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:38:17 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
>wrote:

>>>2003 Dodge Caravan
>>

>> OK, MacPherson strut suspension - only one ball joint, and only one
>>controll arm.
>>
>>Only a few possibilities - if there is no play in the ball joint -
>>
>>Bent lower control arm, bemt strut, or bent frame. - IF it is a camber
>>problem.
>>
>>Those front ends are pretty stout - not as stout as the twin "I" beem
>>on the old Rangers and F Series.
>>
>> First thing is jack it up .It is not a load bearing joint so you
>>need to jack it up by the frame, not the control arm to check for
>>play. With the wheel off the ground check the ball joint, outer tie
>>rod end and inner tie rod end for play. Inner tie rod ends (inside the
>>rack) are a common failure and will cause wear on one tire.
>

>Thanks!! Ill do that in the morning!!
>
>I know absolutely dick about struts. One of the reasons I drive old
>vehicles...I understand (somewhat) about how they tick.

They're just beefy coilover shock absorbers with a spindle built onto
the bottom of 'em. On some vehicles, the top of the strut is
adjustable for caster, camber, or both. But not many have that. (At
least as of 1985 when I got 99% out of the biz.)

Larry Jaques

Mar 21, 2018, 10:33:37 PM3/21/18
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:40:30 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>>Other thing to check is the ideler arm to make sure it is not loose
>>
>A dodge caravan has no idler arm and no upper control arm.
>
>It was OBVIOUS from Gunner's post that the problem was not on the F150
>- it was on something he's been driving scrubbing off the tire - the
>F150 has "almost new" tires on it - - -

Mea culpa. I hadn't been following the thread and hadn't read the
entire post when I jumped in with that.

Clare Snyder

Mar 21, 2018, 11:54:49 PM3/21/18
Caster plates are available for many vehicles to adjust caster on
strut suspensions. The top pivot bearing takes the place of the upper
balljoint, and the strut eliminates the upper control arm.

Some have the knuckle bolted to the strut, a few have the knuckle as
part of the strut. On those with bolt-on knuckles, one bolt hole can
be slotted to adjust camber.

On the ones with integral knuckles, the spindle/wheel-bearing assembly
bolts on, and tapered shims can sometimes bve installed between the
knuckle and the spindle assembly. This was more common a few years
back in light rear-wheel drive cars.

We used to replace the shocks in struts with inserts - and on some
actually rebuild the shock in the strut (before nitrogen "gas shocks")
The relative cost of replacement struts has dropped SIGNIFICANTLY so
it is almost unheard of the rebuild or "restuff" struts today.

Clare Snyder

Mar 21, 2018, 11:57:47 PM3/21/18
Undoubtably - but the tires were the limiting factor on a T35. The
drum brakes were HUGE, and the design of the wheel provided "actve
cooling". They DID tend to fade in tight track racing, but locking
the brakes was never really a problem.

Clare Snyder

Mar 22, 2018, 12:05:28 AM3/22/18
Likewize.

He owns (and has said it is one of his favorite cars) a green and
white Dodge Coronet Sierra wagon. His is a 1954, and has wire wheels -
while mine was a '53 (virtually identical except the '54 side trim is
higher than the '53)) with standard steel wheels.
SWEET 241 Hemi.

Sure wish I had mine back!!!

Jim Wilkins

Mar 22, 2018, 6:56:44 AM3/22/18
"Clare Snyder" <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote in message
https://www.wired.com/story/bugatti-chiron-speed-analysis/

Leon Fisk

Mar 22, 2018, 9:01:44 AM3/22/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 21:10:40 -0400
Ed Huntress <hunt...@optonline.net> wrote:

<snip>
>But I watched one guy with the controller in his hand, standing
>outside directing the thing, bundled up in a heavy coat, gloves, and a
>hood, and I thought...why? I'd be warmer walking behind. <g>

Some people don't think these things through too well. I know where _I_
would be while operating the controls :)

>Heated sidewalks. That's what I want. I'd want something that, when
>the old ladies walk by, it would melt the wheels on their walkers.

You need to move a bit closer to my area:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/02/utility_shows_off_largest_snow.html

Ed Huntress

Mar 22, 2018, 9:54:47 AM3/22/18
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:01:42 -0400, Leon Fisk <lfi...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
Yeah! That's what I want. All I need is a steam turbine...

--
Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques

Mar 22, 2018, 11:09:33 PM3/22/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 23:57:44 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
They only faded when they were wet or you put your foot on the brake
pedal. I so, so, sooooo don't miss drum brakes. Or carburetors.
I made tens of thousands fiddlin' with both, and prefer not.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross

Larry Jaques

Mar 22, 2018, 11:26:33 PM3/22/18
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 00:05:25 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
My favorite Dodge was my grandmother's '69 Monaco with the 383 4bbl,
which would definitely git'n'shit. The paint was a lovely metallic OD
green, and that boat would pull eighteen skiers!
https://www.allpar.com/photos/vimages/dodge/cars/monaco-1969.jpg

Clare Snyder

Mar 22, 2018, 11:35:14 PM3/22/18
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:09:45 -0700, Larry Jaques
Likewize - but the FIRST stop with a Drum brake is every bit as
good as the first stop on a disk - and generally has lower drag.

No arguements at all on carbs!!!

Larry Jaques

Mar 22, 2018, 11:52:26 PM3/22/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 17:58:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
I loved those ThunderBoats down on Sandy Eggo's Mission Bay. Drunk
and on the outside of a turn, we were crazy close (=really= dumb.) I
loved the big engines until they started running the jet turbines.
Circus Circus had a pink boat in there, Bardahl (I think), and the
pretty blue Atlas Van Lines. There was a gold and white one, too,
IIRC. Miss Bud's red boat came up 45-degrees and we thought she was
going to flip, but the wind died down, the foot came off the throttle
for half a second, and she was back at it.
<giggle>

Larry Jaques

Mar 22, 2018, 11:55:41 PM3/22/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:46:30 -0400, Leon Fisk <lfi...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
I remember seeing one with 6 wheels and a blade which was remote and
all battery powered. Looked like a ton of fun. You can buy kits for
them now, it appears. https://is.gd/D7L8gs

Larry Jaques

Mar 23, 2018, 12:02:11 AM3/23/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 23:54:46 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
Yeah, I figured that things would change a bit. My Tundra was light
years ahead of the old '90 F-150. Control arms instead of I-beams,
too. <g>

> We used to replace the shocks in struts with inserts - and on some
>actually rebuild the shock in the strut (before nitrogen "gas shocks")
>The relative cost of replacement struts has dropped SIGNIFICANTLY so
>it is almost unheard of the rebuild or "restuff" struts today.

My buddy just redid his brakes on his 1994 Toyota and only paid $120
for both sets of pads and all 4 rotors. Prices HAVE come down. Bosch
pads for front and rear of my Tundra cost $53 via Amazon.

Clare Snyder

Mar 23, 2018, 12:20:45 AM3/23/18
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:26:44 -0700, Larry Jaques
Well, I had a 170 leaning tower of power putting 206hp to the rear
wheels in a 63 Valiant, a couple of warmed 225 Darts, the 241 Hemi
Coronet, a 264.5 flatty in the 57 Fargo ,a mitsoShitty 2.6 in a
Lebaron and a 3.0 MitsoShitty 6 in the New Yorker, as well as the 2.4
PT Cruiser.

Dad had numerous little flatties, '36, 47, 49, 50 and 51 - a 56 and
58 V8, a honking 413 New Yorker, and a 360 Polara as well as a few 225
slant six trucks.

Kid brother had souped up 225 in his valiant (split manifold and a
bunch of other mods - I never saw it run because it was while I was in
Zambia but it had a reputation for being FAST) and a warmed over 318
in a satelite that gave 340 road runners a good run.

The New Yorker 413 would pass anything but a gas station.

Clare Snyder

Mar 23, 2018, 12:30:16 AM3/23/18
An old friend of mine at the airport - Gery Younger - a champion
Aerobatics pilot in years gone by, is putting the finishing touches on
a scale Merlin engine - all scratch built - that will run. He also
completed a Bentlry Rotary scale engine that runs like a top.

Ed Huntress

Mar 23, 2018, 12:52:02 AM3/23/18
On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 00:30:14 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
Ten or 15 years ago we had a member here on RCM -- another Canadian --
who was building a scale model Merlin, a runner. He had the castings
made by some precision-casting specialist, and we saw some photos of
the engine as it was being completed.

I wonder how he made out with it.

--
Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques

Mar 23, 2018, 2:44:27 PM3/23/18
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 23:35:12 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
There are 2 too many IFs with that: If it's not wet. If it's not
glazed. Disc pads don't glaze and are less prone to warpage, too, so
it only endears me to them more.

> No arguements at all on carbs!!!

I hope not. It was fun making a poor-running car purr again. But
about the time the CARB (California Air Resources Board came into
being and we were installing smog controls on cars and then attempting
to tune them that it got so bad. I still have a copy of my smog
license from that era, and the memory still stings. Make it purr and
the oxides of nitrogen go up. Make that go away and the hydrocarbons
go way up. And in the sage country of SoCal, the NOX was higher at
night with no traffic than the CARB allowed coming out the exhaust
pipe. No Win BS.

Larry Jaques

Mar 23, 2018, 2:55:37 PM3/23/18
On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 00:20:42 -0400, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:26:44 -0700, Larry Jaques
><lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:
>>My favorite Dodge was my grandmother's '69 Monaco with the 383 4bbl,
>>which would definitely git'n'shit. The paint was a lovely metallic OD
>>green, and that boat would pull eighteen skiers!
>>https://www.allpar.com/photos/vimages/dodge/cars/monaco-1969.jpg
>

>Well, I had a 170 leaning tower of power putting 206hp to the rear
>wheels in a 63 Valiant,

Those slant sixes were the Timex/Everready of engines. Powerful,
efficient, easy to work on, ran forever, and ran well. Chrysler
probably had more fans of that engine than any other.

>PT Cruiser.

I never warmed to those ugly beasts.

> Dad had numerous little flatties, '36, 47, 49, 50 and 51 - a 56 and
>58 V8, a honking 413 New Yorker, and a 360 Polara as well as a few 225
>slant six trucks.

Dad told me stories about a 39 Ford which lost its fan belt on the way
from L.A. to Frisco. He took his leather belt off and made it work
until they found a belt in the next city. I think that is my only
flat head story. I never worked on one. No, I take that back. I
forgot about almost working on a frozen Conti flathead 4 in the
trailered Lincoon welder.

> The New Yorker 413 would pass anything but a gas station.

All the big blocks were like that. I didn't mind with the 390 in my
'70 AMC Javelin. It was my one and only race car. I told people to
belt up and then took it through some twisties. Those who didn't got
slammed =hard= against both back seat walls before getting buckled
with their mouths open from awe. Sticky little critter on asphalt.
Fond memories.
It is loading more messages.