broaching stainless steel bar

MATHSMAN

Apr 26, 2015, 5:18:04 PM4/26/15
I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a lathe
tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it now
down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/broaching-stainless-steel-bar-613582-.htm

Jim Wilkins

Apr 26, 2015, 7:48:37 PM4/26/15
"MATHSMAN" <0f8503901d844703...@example.com> wrote in
message news:25a79$553d560a$43de0cc0$10...@news.flashnewsgroups.com...
>I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a
>lathe
> tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it
> now
> down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Holemaking/Broaches/Square-Broaches?navid=12106096

Can you drill an oversized hole and clamp the bit between two nuts?

-jsw

Karl Townsend

Apr 26, 2015, 7:59:45 PM4/26/15
On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:18:02 +0000, MATHSMAN
<0f8503901d844703...@example.com> wrote:

>I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a lathe
>tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it now
>down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

Here's what a guy on you tube did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n1r5XfVkyk

dca...@krl.org

Apr 26, 2015, 10:04:32 PM4/26/15
On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 5:18:04 PM UTC-4, MATHSMAN wrote:
> I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a lathe
> tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it now
> down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

Stainless is a bit more difficult to machine than regular steel. It generally needs more clearanaces, slower speeds and heavier cuts. My guess is with a broach made for steel, you are likely to break the broach using it on stainless.

You could kludge up an electric discharge machine. Another guy and I did that a long time ago.

Just did a search on EDM DIY and found a number of sites with info.

Dan

Larry Jaques

Apr 27, 2015, 1:23:21 AM4/27/15
On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:18:02 +0000, MATHSMAN
<0f8503901d844703...@example.com> wrote:

>I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a lathe
>tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it now
>down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

I have the perfect tool for that, a square drill, but you're using the
wrong material. http://tinyurl.com/k45cujk

--
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom
of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power
--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788